Sun, 10-02-2011, 06:05 AM
http://i.imgur.com/34qn8.jpg

Alternative Title: ハンターŨハンター (2011)

Type: TV
Episodes: Unknown
Source: Manga
Studio: Madhouse
Genres: Action, Adventure, Shounen, Super Power

Synopsis: Remake of the 1999 TV series of Hunter x Hunter based on the manga by Togashi Yoshihiro.

A Hunter is one who travels the world doing all sorts of dangerous tasks. From capturing criminals to searching deep within uncharted lands for any lost treasures. Gon is a young boy whose father disappeared long ago, being a Hunter. He believes if he could also follow his father's path, he could one day reunite with him.

After becoming 12, Gon leaves his home and takes on the task of entering the Hunter exam, notorious for its low success rate and high probability of death to become an official Hunter. He befriends the revenge-driven Kurapica, the doctor-to-be Leorio and the rebellious ex-assassin Killua in the exam, with their friendship prevailing throughout the many trials and threats they come upon taking on the dangerous career of a Hunter.

Resources: ANN (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=13262) | AniDB (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=8550) | MyAnimeList (http://myanimelist.net/anime/11061/Hunter_x_Hunter_%282011%29)

no links to unlicensed distribution sources (eg fansubs, rips) be linked in this thread

When someone is first to post about a new episode, a little "Episode XX discussion below" warning may help other users avoid spoilers and keep things tidy.

---
Episode 01 is out.

MFauli
Sun, 10-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Good first episode. The beginning felt rushed, but once they got to the ship it felt perfectly fine in terms of pacing.

Gonīs voice is strange as someone who knows the old anime, but I think Iīll get used to it quickly.

seanos
Sun, 10-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Agree mostly with the sentiment from the other thread, it's very generic, and has rushed through so much, have no interest or opinion on any of the characters.
It's a shame, FMA showed us how something like this could be done well, so far can't say they've improved any aspect of the original.

Harima Kenji
Tue, 10-04-2011, 03:59 AM
The voices of Gon and Kurapica need some getting used to, that's for sure. At the moment Gon's voice sounds off.

The episode itself did rush in the beginning. I hope they come back to that with a flashback, because his immediate motivation for becoming a Hunter and getting the invite (or flyer, forgot wat it was) has been omitted.

gos27
Tue, 10-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Didn't particularly like Gon and Kurapica's VA's. They probably will take time getting used to. Leorio on the other hand, I thought his VA was pretty darn good, it felt right.

animus
Tue, 10-04-2011, 09:44 PM
I never liked Kurapica's current seiyuu. Makes me start hating her voice even more now that she's voicing Kurapica in a series I like.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 10-05-2011, 02:15 AM
Man, I forgot how much I freakin' love this series.

Not psyched about having to start over, but the early parts of the original HxH DO look pretty dated now.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 10-08-2011, 11:33 PM
Episode 02 aired!

Kraco
Sun, 10-09-2011, 05:32 AM
Those shapeshifters were jolly fellows.

MFauli
Sun, 10-09-2011, 06:56 AM
Another good episode. The pacing is superb. And I have to praise the opening song. Sounds like a true, old-fashioned shounen-anime opening.

My one criticism would be concerning the monsters. I thought they were WAY creepier/scarier in the old anime. Here, they never appeared to be a thread, maybe only in the scene where Gon was almost attacked when he looked for the other monster.

Canīt wait to see next episode, the walk/run is one of my favorite parts of the whole exam.

gos27
Sun, 10-09-2011, 12:39 PM
They certainly are flying through this. Enjoyed the episode, though I have to say, I don't think this will be even comparable to the original series. For example, the scene when Gon realised the two Kiriko's apart was done so much better in the original imo. Not sure if im too keen on how quickly they're progressing with the series either :/

Having said that, I did enjoy the episode :)

DarthEnderX
Sun, 10-09-2011, 01:01 PM
My one criticism would be concerning the monsters. I thought they were WAY creepier/scarier in the old anime. Here, they never appeared to be a thread, maybe only in the scene where Gon was almost attacked when he looked for the other monster.Obviously, they aren't going to be as creepy when you already know they're actually good guys.

seanos
Sun, 10-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Getting less impressed, they seem to be cutting more and more out, some pretty good scenes too - Leorio on the bus going nowhere, and Leorio figuring out the differences between the shapeshifters.
Even some subtle changes are irritating me at this point;
In the original, the episode ended with Kuropica and Leorio being carried off by one shapeshifter each, and Gon being carried off by two, which in my mind at least was a sign of their respect/like of Gon, in this two carry Leorio, and the only reason I can put to it is that he's meant to be a fat bastard compared to the other two.
The DokuDoku part too - why did they replace the tonne of kids with ~6 older people dressed up?

I reckon some of my irks are unreasonable, changes are bound to be done, I think they are irking me more than they should because the overall feel is nothing compared to the original.

Harima Kenji
Wed, 10-12-2011, 03:37 AM
I didn't watch the anime for a while, but I just knew Leorio took the bus in the 'original' series.
I do hope they take it easy with the pacing from now on.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 10-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Yeah, this series is doing the same thing Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood did, and I don't like that.

Kraco
Fri, 10-14-2011, 02:15 PM
FMA:B beginning was hurried to the max, but otherwise I liked it a lot better than the first series, which I more or less disliked. So, I'm not yet ready to judge this doomed. It all depends on the later parts.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 10-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Well yeah, once it got to the actual new stuff, FMAB was great. But the fact that, if you wanted the FULL FMA manga story in anime form, you'd have to piece together parts of the first series and parts of the second really sucks.

I'm expecting this series will also slow down once it passes the point the old series ended as well, but that's a lot of great stuff in the meantime that's going to be heavily edited.

Splash!
Sat, 10-15-2011, 11:42 AM
Well yeah, once it got to the actual new stuff, FMAB was great. But the fact that, if you wanted the FULL FMA manga story in anime form, you'd have to piece together parts of the first series and parts of the second really sucks.

I'm expecting this series will also slow down once it passes the point the old series ended as well, but that's a lot of great stuff in the meantime that's going to be heavily edited.

Yeah that just shows that they consider people who are already familiar with Hunter X Hunter as a big part of their target audience. Keeping that in mind, speeding up the pace of this portion of the story is a good compromise.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 10-15-2011, 11:40 PM
Episode 03 aired!

---------------------------------------------------------

Well, the definitely slowed way down for this episode. The spent pretty much the entire ep on character introductions.

antiravage
Sun, 10-16-2011, 09:40 AM
It seems like no one here read the manga. Apart from Kite's introduction (which will be shown later in the form of a flashback), this new anime has cut nothing that was part of the manga. I repeat, they left nothing out of the episodes. Leorio taking the buss and other stuff like that was filler in the old anime.

animus
Sun, 10-16-2011, 10:25 AM
Yep, I really do not like Hisoka's new VA. I don't like Killua's new VA either, but not as much as I dislike Hisoka's. Also those [KS] subs are god awful.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 10-16-2011, 05:40 PM
This episode also reminded me that Hanzo is one of my favorite characters.

It seems like no one here read the manga. Apart from Kite's introduction (which will be shown later in the form of a flashback), this new anime has cut nothing that was part of the manga. I repeat, they left nothing out of the episodes. Leorio taking the buss and other stuff like that was filler in the old anime.Oh.

Well in that case. This anime is great!

It's like Dragonball Kai, only not half-assed!

I tried reading the manga after I reached the end of the original anime to see what happened next since the series ended...couldn't get through it.

It looks...AWFUL. I know the author had health problems or something, but it was the worst looking manga I'd ever seen.

Kraco
Sun, 10-16-2011, 05:43 PM
Too bad Hisoka's VA's performance failed my expectations. Based on his old roles I thought he could have pulled it off, but I don't feel like he captured the character at all. The old Hisoka sounded like a dangerous man with a grotesquely humorous twist, that is, like a magician with hidden secrets, but this one sounds only like a tough guy, nothing more. Very disappointing.

MFauli
Mon, 10-17-2011, 02:54 AM
Definitely didnīt feel rushed, good.

As for Hisokaīs voice actor, yes, his first appearance was disappointing, BUT: Iīll wait for some of his more involving scenes before I judge the va. He just cut down one random dude this week. I guess he would speak differently when "fighting" someone that is more fun.

Anyway, looking forward to next week, the first phase is just great.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 10-17-2011, 09:28 AM
The old Hisoka sounded like a dangerous man with a grotesquely humorous twist, that is, like a magician with hidden secretsThe old Hisoka always sounded like he was orgasming.

gos27
Mon, 10-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Anyone notice how Hisoka's hair is red? And in the original it was turquoise. Up until the stage at the fighting arena place where he changed it to red. His VA I wasn't that impressed with either, lacked the psycho attitude.

animus
Mon, 10-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Hisoka's old VA pulled off a very perverse and sadistic tone which perfectly matched his actual character. Can't say the same for this one. Although it WAS a small sample size of all about 4 seconds.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 10-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Episode 04 aired!

MFauli
Sun, 10-23-2011, 03:58 AM
I will say it again: I LOVE the first exam! If it was me, the whole hunter exam could have been about the applicants following Satotsu, with switching environments. :D

Anyway, great episode, and I guess the rushing has really stopped. Sucks a bit, because I had hoped they would do the second exam in one episode, but as is, I guess theyīll do half of it in the latter half of next ep and then the rest in the episode after that one. Oh well.

As of now, I conclude that Hisokaīs voice actor sucks (compared to the original). Unless theyīre going for some crazy pitch-switching when Hisoka goes nuts, his voice sounds really bland and boring. It almost seemed as if theyīre trying to paint him as some kind of honorable, respected villain, as opposed to the insane joker he is in the original. Weīll find out about it next week.

Kraco
Sun, 10-23-2011, 04:29 AM
I don't expect his performance to change from this. A real pity. It almost makes me want to drop this and rewatch the old show. I have no problems with the other VAs so far. I don't know what the director was thinking.

Marik
Sat, 10-29-2011, 11:08 PM
Episode 05 aired!

animus
Sat, 10-29-2011, 11:55 PM
Just for future reference, is there any quality subbing groups working on this for archive purposes?

DarthEnderX
Sun, 10-30-2011, 03:55 AM
Eh, Hisoka's new voice has already grown acceptable to me.

MFauli
Sun, 10-30-2011, 06:16 AM
Did they change the whole setup of Hisoka killing inmidst the fog? I thought that he originally started the attack on innocent contestants, whereas the new anime had him being attacked by others, basically legitimizing Hisokaīs killing instead of showing his crazy, insine bloodlust. I hope Iīm wrong, but that would be some serious pussyfication.

Kraco
Sun, 10-30-2011, 06:40 AM
Eh, Hisoka's new voice has already grown acceptable to me.

During the fight I as well found myself accepting the voice, or at least reversing my initial total rejection. Maybe they went for a sort of dualism in his character, between the normal self-confident calmness and then the sadistic pleasure he derives from fighting.

Carnage
Sun, 10-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Did they change the whole setup of Hisoka killing inmidst the fog? I thought that he originally started the attack on innocent contestants, whereas the new anime had him being attacked by others, basically legitimizing Hisokaīs killing instead of showing his crazy, insine bloodlust. I hope Iīm wrong, but that would be some serious pussyfication.

Yeah I checked the manga, they redid the whole scene differently. Originally, as you said, Hisoka seemed absolutely nuts.

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/hunter_x_hunter/v01/c008/19.html

MFauli
Sun, 10-30-2011, 12:30 PM
Meh, that REALLY sucks now. Guess original Hisoka is too evil for these current days, so they had to justify and give reason to his actions. Which really makes no sense, because arbitrary actions were part of Hisokaīs character. Now Iīm really looking forward to how they handle .... oh well, I guess no spoilers, eh?

David75
Sun, 10-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Meh, that REALLY sucks now. Guess original Hisoka is too evil for these current days, so they had to justify and give reason to his actions. Which really makes no sense, because arbitrary actions were part of Hisokaīs character. Now Iīm really looking forward to how they handle .... oh well, I guess no spoilers, eh?
Exactly, they're turning an awesome villain into a menacing puppy... oohh the fear, oohh the chills, oohh the suspense all gone...

Harima Kenji
Mon, 10-31-2011, 09:09 AM
I think it's too soon to judge if they 'killed' Hisoka's character. They did screw the scene up in my eyes. Hisoka saying he's bored and is going to help the judges was insane in the manga and previous series. I really hope they don't 'kiddy-fy' the series, since it'll be a downgrade of the original series.

As we know, Hisoka's insanity is only just beginning.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 11-02-2011, 11:00 PM
As we know, Hisoka's insanity is only just beginning.*shrug* I feel like he mellows as time goes by.

Marik
Sat, 11-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Episode 06 aired!

Penner
Sun, 11-06-2011, 07:19 AM
I'm really liking this show so far, i haven't watched the original though so i can't make any comparisons.. which might be a good thing since i can just enjoy it without knowing the story or any potential changes they might have made from the original series :P

I did google Menchi to see if i spelled her name correctly, and apparently her hair was changed from pink to green lol

MFauli
Sun, 11-06-2011, 09:06 AM
Did they skip on the whole sushi-making? Well, not a change I want to complain about.

But could it be that theyīre completely skipping one exam round? With only 42 contestants left, they have to go straight forward to the "island", eh?

Kraco
Sun, 11-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Looks like Aya Hirano is still landing new roles, despite all the scandals.

I don't remember the minor details of the old show so well, and not having read the manga don't know how much added material it had, but I'm sure this will have all the important (and thus better) parts of the exam.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 11-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Looks like it.

Too bad, that was one of Hanzo's shine moments.

David75
Sun, 11-06-2011, 11:46 AM
This really is super fast.
I admitt I liked that part a lot in the original show. Only because I like the idea of Gourmet Hunter :D .

animus
Sun, 11-06-2011, 12:36 PM
I was pretty sure in the old anime they had the whole egg boiling process too and not just them eating it right after they get the eggs.

David75
Sun, 11-06-2011, 12:51 PM
I was pretty sure in the old anime they had the whole egg boiling process too and not just them eating it right after they get the eggs.

Yup they did, but that phase was at least 3 eps. So quite a lot has been trimmed.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 11-06-2011, 09:59 PM
I'm slightly concerned just how fast they intend to go when the scene at the very end of the opening is actually WAY into the old series.

Parkalash
Mon, 11-07-2011, 04:52 AM
It's relly hard tolike anything with this reboost.... everything is just bad compared to the old serie so and only 13 episodes for now, and to wait another year for the next season? kinda funny if you look how fast they are doing the story

Belial
Mon, 11-07-2011, 11:41 AM
It's relly hard tolike anything with this reboost.... everything is just bad compared to the old serie so and only 13 episodes for now, and to wait another year for the next season? kinda funny if you look how fast they are doing the story

are you just guessing or do you have a source ? and by source i don't mean 13 eps have been added to ann

Parkalash
Mon, 11-07-2011, 12:09 PM
are you just guessing or do you have a source ? and by source i don't mean 13 eps have been added to ann

no source :P i jsut assume that it would be typical if that was the case

Marik
Sun, 11-13-2011, 12:14 AM
Episode 07 aired!

Archangel
Wed, 11-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Are they doing the exam yet?

MFauli
Thu, 11-17-2011, 05:25 AM
wat

theyīre at it since ep1

Marik
Sat, 11-19-2011, 11:52 PM
Episode 08 aired!

MFauli
Sun, 11-20-2011, 05:53 AM
Well, that ep felt really short. Hope they dont stretch out the battle against prisoners for too long.

Oh, and somehow it is beyond odd/weird when Gon, Kurapika and Leorio watch another applicant die, being eaten by those monster birds, without raising even an eyebrow. I mean, itīs okay for Killua, considering his background, but the others show show some more empathic emotions lol

DarthEnderX
Sun, 11-20-2011, 02:33 PM
What do you want? There's already been like a hundred fatalities in this exam.

Shinji Ikari
Tue, 11-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Well, that ep felt really short. Hope they dont stretch out the battle against prisoners for too long.

Oh, and somehow it is beyond odd/weird when Gon, Kurapika and Leorio watch another applicant die, being eaten by those monster birds, without raising even an eyebrow. I mean, itīs okay for Killua, considering his background, but the others show show some more empathic emotions lol

Actually the only person I think would react in an extrovert manner is Leorio. Kurapika is a mellow person on the outside, refuses to show emotions because of the crimson eye indcident. That in itself taught him how to remain calm since there are few things that can startle you more than seeing everyone around you get killed.

Gon as a person is naiive, but by no means stupid, he just takes things as they come. He probably isn't afraid because he treats life in their world equal, showing respect for nature and being aware of it's terrors, accepting that people do get hurt. I mean, if he got scared of people being eaten up by a huge frog, then he probably wouldn't be able to call Killua a friend either. But of course this is an anime after all, so using human psychology is all but futile since the only way not to get messed up by things like that is if you are sociopath.

Leori on the other hand usually acts things out because he is stupid and don't know what to do with his emotions, so the only explanation for him not acting out is that he has just seen so much death in the exam (kicking and screaming like he has been all the time when people have gotten eaten and what-not) that he just doesn't care enough, kill or be killed.

Either way, to me it's Leorio that should act up and get freaked, and him not getting freaked is a bit weird, maybe the creator just thought we'd get tired of him kicking and screaming all the time, thinking that some of us might have seen the previous series/OAVs and might get bored if everything is shown in great detail.

Kraco
Wed, 11-23-2011, 04:34 PM
Gon as a person is naiive, but by no means stupid, he just takes things as they come. He probably isn't afraid because he treats life in their world equal, showing respect for nature and being aware of it's terrors, accepting that people do get hurt.

They have spent a few scenes to make Gon quite animalistic. That indeed goes hand in hand with what you said: In nature it's eat or be eaten, fight or run. I reckon Gon would be more shaken if Kurapika, Killua, or Leorio got suddenly killed, but otherwise I don't think an unknown person's death means much more to him than some animal's death; and he's a hunter himself (not Hunter but hunter), so animals dying even by his own hand is not unusual.

It's quite a test of one's character and patience to be groupped with Tonpa.

Xelbair
Wed, 11-23-2011, 05:42 PM
they should just kill Tonpa, and have someone wear two bracelets...

Archangel
Wed, 11-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Well i feel stupid for skipping this, i never realized the original had so much filler.

I'm still buttmad they changed Hisoka's VA and i'm not a fan of Kurapika's girlish voice, but i can deal. Pretty great production values.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 11-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Well i feel stupid for skipping this, i never realized the original had so much filler.
Not ALL of what's been cut from the original series has been filler though. For example, the sushi round of the food exam was in the manga, but missing from this series.

TwisT
Wed, 11-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Wow, can't believe i've been missing out on a remake of this. Downside of never visiting General Anime anymore. Best news since i heard about the Berserk remake. I'm more excited about this remake then i was about FMA:B.

Well the sushi round was basically useless. Only thing it was good for was to display how Hanzo is bad at keeping secrets and his cool. And a part of that got baked in to the pig roast part instead. Also in the original Bansho got suplexed by the wrestler which i didn't like at all. He's a Hunter. Non of these wannabes should even get close to touching him except Killua, Hanzo, Hisoka and anyone else who is on a similar level. So i was happy that the wrestler got bitch slapped all over the courtyard. Good change IMO.

Like most said, changing Hisoka's swamp scene sucked. But changing the first examiners movements however was a success IMO. Never liked that "take half meter steps very slowly and still outrun everyone" style. This was both a little humorous and it showed how superior he was to the others. I also liked that they cut away Leorio failing and getting trapped by Tompa. In the old series i never felt like Leorio should have made it as far as he did. This way he doesn't come of as a complete loser that should have failed the first exam. I did not approve of changing Neteros looks either. I was surprised that they cut out Anita. Was that a filler? If so that was a good filler. Was a little sad they cut it out. I didn't start reading the manga until Greed Island so i only have the first anime to refer to.

As for the VA's. Nothing was bad so far except one. Hisoka. Damn it makes me cry just hearing him. Leorio was actually good from the start, and Gon, Killua and Kurapica just needed some time. When i was done with episode 8 i didn't even think about it anymore. Can still sound a little off but nothing that makes me clinch my teeth.

BTW is there anyone in here that hasn't seen the original series or read the manga? Saw that some people was afraid they would spoil. Not that i plan on spoiling but it seems unnecessary if everyone has seen or read HxH before to keep up the charade.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 11-25-2011, 01:24 PM
I watched the the original until the part of the story covered in the next episode. I'm glad they are not wasting their time. I got bored and eye cancer from the original and gave up at this point, but I am enjoying this trimmed, pretty version a lot more.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 11-25-2011, 03:22 PM
I watched the the original until the part of the story covered in the next episode. I'm glad they are not wasting their time. I got bored and eye cancer from the original and gave up at this point, but I am enjoying this trimmed, pretty version a lot more.The original series looks like fine art compared to the manga.

Archangel
Sat, 11-26-2011, 01:06 PM
The original series looks like fine art compared to the manga.
Quoting for motherfucking truth

And the original had fine animation, ya'll are spoiled bitches.

Marik
Sat, 11-26-2011, 11:48 PM
Episode 09 aired!

Archangel
Sun, 11-27-2011, 05:33 AM
Nyaa seems to be down.

Penner
Sun, 11-27-2011, 06:58 AM
Yup, but thankfully Marik always posts DDL links aswell. /hug Marik

Archangel
Sun, 11-27-2011, 07:15 AM
I love it how Franky's VA is being typecasted for weirdos.

MFauli
Sun, 11-27-2011, 07:24 AM
Yeah, but those Rar/Zip-files seem to be broken :(

Penner
Sun, 11-27-2011, 07:37 AM
What Rar/Zip files?

Kraco
Sun, 11-27-2011, 07:48 AM
Why were the bridges extended if the previous match is not yet over? Well, probably to waste time if it's in the prison's best interest to make candidates lose.

Archangel
Sun, 11-27-2011, 08:07 AM
Why were the bridges extended if the previous match is not yet over? Well, probably to waste time if it's in the prison's best interest to make candidates lose.
So spoilers from the previous series are fair game?

David75
Sun, 11-27-2011, 08:19 AM
I didn't watch this arc of the original anime.
Was a little surprised at the candle game and actually accelerating the burn, as for those prisoners the longer it takes for a match to be decided, the better. A smarter move would have been hard to extinguish candles that burn really slowly and no wind zone.
Candle swap was obvious from the very moment he proposed the game.
The blue guy's part was utterly boring/crappy.
Very bad ep I guess.

Kraco
Sun, 11-27-2011, 09:11 AM
So spoilers from the previous series are fair game?

What spoilers? The agreed rules were to die or surrender. The blue dude did neither. There's also the score meter that still shows one point for both groups, not two points for the candidates.

Open your eyes when you watch an ep, Watson.

Xelbair
Sun, 11-27-2011, 01:25 PM
torrent to the episode while nyaa is down.

Archangel
Sun, 11-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Y'all need to learn how to use irc bots.

Carnage
Sun, 11-27-2011, 02:17 PM
I use DDL, I personally like it best after having used irc and torrents for years.

Edit: Here's the link I use

link deleted

MFauli
Sun, 11-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Thx for that link!

I hope they end the Trick Tower-arc with next episodes. Unlike the rest of the remake, this part feels drawn out already.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 11-27-2011, 04:23 PM
The blue guy's part was utterly boring/crappy.You're out of your mind. That part contains one of Kurapica's holy shit moments.

David75
Sun, 11-27-2011, 04:32 PM
You're out of your mind. That part contains one of Kurapica's holy shit moments.
Yup, but the blue guy sucked hard.
Also, I was already spoiled by the original show for his "holy shit moment"

DarthEnderX
Wed, 11-30-2011, 04:56 AM
Yup, but the blue guy sucked hard.
Yes, but that was kinda the whole point.

kyubisrage
Wed, 11-30-2011, 11:32 PM
Never noticed this before because of the fact that I watched the original Hunter X Hunter before one piece and i guess never thought of the resemblance between some yu yu hakusho characters and the ones in this series.

Gon reminds me of Luffy (One piece)

Kurapika reminds me of Kurama from (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Leorio reminds me of Kuwabara (Yu Yu Hakusho)

DarthEnderX
Thu, 12-01-2011, 03:39 AM
Well, it SHOULD remind you of Yu Yu Hakusho, because they have the same author.

kyubisrage
Thu, 12-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Well, it SHOULD remind you of Yu Yu Hakusho, because they have the same author.

ahh i didn't know that!

Marik
Sun, 12-04-2011, 05:43 AM
Episode 10 aired!

This one isn't Digimon Xros.

Kraco
Sun, 12-04-2011, 08:37 AM
I guess a pro gambler counted on an amateur saying nothing even if she changed her bet to the opposite in the middle of the gamble. In any case the heroes here let the prisoners dictate far too much. There's really no reason to let them write the rules of the whole examination, even if they are supposed to be the examiners. In the end they are still nothing but criminals doing this all for nothing but their own benefit.

Archangel
Sun, 12-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Argh... timeskip this shit to greed island already :/

MFauli
Sun, 12-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Ugh, theyīre spending way too much time with trick tower :/ And I donīt like the random color-changes. Why is the girlīs hair pink instead of blond? Silly.

kyubisrage
Sun, 12-04-2011, 07:42 PM
so..... why couldn't kurapika get on the field and check if she was alive... I mean the bitch did so certainly Kurapika who is technically still "fighting" can go on the battlefield and not to mention since the chick went and checked if he was alive Leorio could have too.

I agree, they let the prisoners dictate too much.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 12-05-2011, 02:31 AM
Agreed. There's absolutely no reason she should have been allowed to change her bet.

Argh... timeskip this shit to greed island already :/

Ugh, theyīre spending way too much time with trick tower :/ And I donīt like the random color-changes. Why is the girlīs hair pink instead of blond? Silly.Oh my god STFU people! They're already cutting out too much as it is!

Penner
Sun, 12-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Episode 11 aired!

David75
Sun, 12-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Killua owns
'nuf said...

Penner
Sun, 12-11-2011, 01:54 PM
True dat.

kyubisrage
Sun, 12-11-2011, 05:17 PM
so he ripped a ball sack out of his chest.

animus
Sun, 12-11-2011, 05:49 PM
The old anime had that scene in all it's gorey glory. This version is just sad. He didn't even crush it.

Archangel
Sun, 12-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Lol, i liked it how he placed the heart in his dead hand.

If anything though, i wished they had kept his freaky ass smile (http://www.mangareader.net/207-14030-14/hunter-x-hunter/chapter-21.html)

MFauli
Sun, 12-11-2011, 07:33 PM
The "censoring" sucked, but I loved how the new anime totally focuses on whatīs happening between Killua and his victim, never cutting back to the reactions of either watching groups. Got a nice chilling feel.

Though, seeing Gonīs lack of a horrified reaction towards his murdering-in-front-of-him friend makes me like him less. Iīm not even comparing old and new adaption, itīs probably the same for both. And you could probably argue something like "Gon sees no good or evil. He heard that the guy wanted a fight of life and death, and thatīs what he got. So why should Gon be outraged?" Still, Killua murdered a guy, and Gon isnīt the kind of killer, so... oh well.

Really stretching the plot now, btw.. I had hoped theyīd at least finish trick tower this episode. sigh

Kraco
Sun, 12-11-2011, 07:36 PM
so he ripped a ball sack out of his chest.

Haha. I thought the point was, in this anime adaptation, that he ripped also a piece of the man's shirt and the heart was inside it, like in a pouch. It surely didn't look like a bare heart at all.

But yeah, Killua kicks ass. I didn't remember Leorio sucked this much, though. He did achieve to get a handful of the girl's body, but that was only he, with the team watching from afar. Kind of unfair. I'm sure he still thinks it worth it, in any case.

Though, seeing Gonīs lack of a horrified reaction towards his murdering-in-front-of-him friend makes me like him less. Iīm not even comparing old and new adaption, itīs probably the same for both. And you could probably argue something like "Gon sees no good or evil. He heard that the guy wanted a fight of life and death, and thatīs what he got. So why should Gon be outraged?" Still, Killua murdered a guy, and Gon isnīt the kind of killer, so... oh well.

You shouldn't have such expectations in the first place. He's not that sort of a personality. In fact even Leorio shouldn't be. The Hunter exam has shown from the beginning it's not any boy scout club. It's a mission where you are constantly and consciously risking your life. If you accept risking your own life, you must accept others risking theirs as well, to avoid being a hypocrite.

Carnage
Sun, 12-11-2011, 09:52 PM
I think of it more along the lines of dont expect anything less from Togashi, its in his style to write his protagonists to be somewhat numb to the death of people in general. Think of YuYu Hakusho.

Penner
Mon, 12-12-2011, 02:12 AM
Jesus Christ, why do ya'll want this trick tower part to be over so fast? Maybe there's some crazy-awesome stuff coming up after this that you can't wait to watch, i don't know, but damn, no need to rush that badly... jeez >_>

Archangel
Mon, 12-12-2011, 03:17 AM
HxH gets consistently more awesome, yeah.

MFauli
Mon, 12-12-2011, 05:13 AM
Yeah, it gets soooo much better with each new arc. And not really a spoiler, but thereīs just one bit left of trick tower, so thatīs why I thought they could have ended it this episode.

Xelbair
Mon, 12-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Yeah, it gets soooo much better with each new arc. And not really a spoiler, but thereīs just one bit left of trick tower, so thatīs why I thought they could have ended it this episode.
thank you very much, sir....
please remember that some people never have seen the original series.

Dark Dragon
Mon, 12-12-2011, 05:31 PM
I really am trying to like this series, but i just can't seem to.

One of the best thing about the original HxH is how well the director convey the atmosphere of the situation and the good use of music. Even the fillers in the original anime was excellent.

The random rock music during the intro of the mass murderer completely killed that scene. It was like watching someone introduced a wrestler or something. There are some neat stuff with the new direction they're going, but Gon and Hisoka terrible voice actors along with this general sense of generic shounen and excessive censoring is a complete deal breaker. Looks like i'm dropping this series as of this episode.

neflight86
Wed, 12-14-2011, 02:30 AM
Speaking of music, a friend of mine pointed out that the ponderous music that plays during moments of doubt sounds eerily similar to the melody of the old song "16 Tons". Link for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIfu2A0ezq0

Marik
Sat, 12-17-2011, 11:53 PM
Episode 12 aired

Carnage
Sun, 12-18-2011, 01:39 AM
I've always been curious as to why anyone ever uploads to anything other than Megaupload or Mediafire. Everything else just plain sucks, and im speaking in general of everybody who uploads anything, I'm genuinely curious.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 12-18-2011, 02:35 AM
Hurm, the next episode looks like it's going to be a recap episode...

Marik
Sun, 12-18-2011, 04:28 AM
I've always been curious as to why anyone ever uploads to anything other than Megaupload or Mediafire. Everything else just plain sucks, and im speaking in general of everybody who uploads anything, I'm genuinely curious.

Money. They get paid for downloads off Fileserve and Filesonic. Fileserve pays $25 per 1000 downloads and Filesonic pays $35 per 1000 downloads.

Carnage
Sun, 12-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Money. They get paid for downloads off Fileserve and Filesonic. Fileserve pays $25 per 1000 downloads and Filesonic pays $35 per 1000 downloads.

Ah I figured it had to be something along those lines, didnt know they pay so much.

Kraco
Sun, 12-18-2011, 04:28 PM
What happened in this ep was actually such a nice way to solve a puzzle by thinking outside of the box that I even remembered it from the old series.

Marik
Sun, 12-25-2011, 12:24 AM
Episode 13 aired!

Penner
Sun, 12-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Really now, were only 13 eps in and already an entire recap ep... >_>

Archangel
Sun, 12-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Well... that's some bulshit.

Carnage
Sun, 12-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Are you fucking kidding me?

Kraco
Sun, 12-25-2011, 02:08 PM
The Japanese must be pretty demented lot to already need a whole episode long recap.

David75
Tue, 12-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Well, there's the shocking revelation that Mito-san might be Gon's father, when she's now a woman.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 12-28-2011, 12:27 AM
Well, there's the shocking revelation that Mito-san might be Gon's father, when she's now a woman.Er, when was this?

David75
Wed, 12-28-2011, 02:34 AM
Er, when was this?

I might have had a bad interpretation of that last phrase by the old lady as Mito-san was watching the picture...

Marik
Sat, 01-07-2012, 11:59 PM
Episode 14 aired!

DarthEnderX
Sun, 01-08-2012, 02:14 AM
Did they skip the phase with the shipwreck?

EDIT: Nm, apparently that was filler anyway.

David75
Sun, 01-08-2012, 10:01 AM
So no one thought that they just need to find 3 weaker applicants and keep their own badge to pass?
If Gon decided to take the plates of the two guys he witnessed hunting/being hunt, he would only need one more point to get his 6 qualification points.
But it's only possible if you consider most applicants are weak, when they after all were able to clear third phase. It might not
mean much though, as Gon's group did stall more with tricks than complexity or strong oponents.

Another possibilty is to have a pact beetween 6 applicants to steal 3 plates each and clear that phase.
But that means that none of those 6 should get a 3 points plate, so there's a lot of confidence in others involved.

Then, it's also possible having one guy stealing most plates. You need 6 points to pass, you can have more.

Kraco
Sun, 01-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Considering Gon's personality, it's given he'd first try to get the actual target's badge. But it's true that logically it could be easier to beat three common opponents than someone like Hisoka. Also, in the end most of them might not even have a choice unless they by chance remember enough to connect a number and a face. They just need to hunt randomly, quite possibly resulting in acquiring three one point badges instead of the three points one.

MFauli
Sun, 01-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Itīs the same in the original, but something that bothered me a little bit: WHY couldnīt Gon hit a bird before? Considering how much of a "nature boy" he is, itīs kind of hard to swallow that he never observed animals hunting. Nitpicking though, granted.

Marik
Sun, 01-15-2012, 08:52 AM
Episode 15 aired!

Penner
Sun, 01-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Like "Pinhead" wasn't already weird enough lol

Kraco
Sun, 01-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Like "Pinhead" wasn't already weird enough lol

Can't be all ordinary if you intend to be friends with someone like Hisoka. In any case he might have made an even worse target than Hisoka, who is, at the very least, quirky.

Penner
Sun, 01-15-2012, 03:09 PM
Aye, atleast Hisoka can spare you if he thinks your not a complete waste of life :P

David75
Sun, 01-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Hisoka made it sound like he likes people dying beautifully/interestingly. But it's only my way of understanding.

Marik
Sun, 01-22-2012, 12:45 AM
Episode 16 aired!

yapchagi
Sun, 01-22-2012, 03:28 AM
Episode 16 aired!

1080p. AWESOME!

Kraco
Sun, 01-22-2012, 05:22 AM

Hisoka-zombie
HP: 250
AC: 34
Feats: Manic laugh, bloodlust, weapon focus (playing cards)

TwisT
Tue, 01-24-2012, 05:06 AM
And this is why HxH is one of the best. I must say i liked how things was done much more then the original. Hisoka looked 10 times the maniac he did in the original. Just splendid.

Archangel
Tue, 01-24-2012, 07:38 PM
And this is why HxH is one of the best. I must say i liked how things was done much more then the original. Hisoka looked 10 times the maniac he did in the original. Just splendid.
It's a little annoying to admit but i agree, Madhouse is doing a wonderful job.

gos27
Wed, 01-25-2012, 05:31 PM
Some things that happened in this ep that I don't think were done as well as the original. Examples: After hisoka got the plate off kurapica he didn't attack that guy until it was daytime, thought the fact that in the original it was night time was a better touch. And when hisoka killed that guy who poisoned gon with the dart (can't remember his name), he came back wearing his hat, and surrounded by a load of those blood butterfly things, which imo was a more insane maniac hisoka thing to do, rather than drag his body back to gon.

Marik
Sun, 01-29-2012, 12:43 AM
Episode 17 aired!

Penner
Sun, 01-29-2012, 07:43 AM
Killua for the win!

I would have thought that Gon, what with his supersenses and whatnot, would have noticed like a thousand snakes lol

Archangel
Sun, 01-29-2012, 09:27 AM
Awww man, they skipped that scene with Gon fighting for his life while half dead.

MFauli
Sun, 01-29-2012, 09:47 AM
Yeah, like Kurapika and Gon couldnīt just slay a bunch of measly snakes. lol

Uchiha Barles
Sun, 01-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Finally downloaded the episodes and basically marathoned them all up to this point, and it's been a glorious ride xD. Everyone is as awesome as ever and I can't wait for the individual fights to happen after this *drool* I'm a little sad that the filler episode from the previous series that had the boat trial won't be making it here but I'll get over it.

I'm not finding a problem with any of the voice actors in this series, and the original hxh my favorite shonen series of all times. I have 0 problems with hisoka. I've never thought of him as batshit crazy. It's simply that he thinks nothing of taking life, can be overcome with bloodlust, and has these traits coupled with a clown type personality who likes to have fun. He's also principled and focused. All of these things are shown here, perfectly.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 01-29-2012, 04:10 PM
I would have thought that Gon, what with his supersenses and whatnot, would have noticed like a thousand snakes lolI don't think you can smell snakes.

Munsu
Sun, 01-29-2012, 04:38 PM
I don't think you can smell snakes.

What about snake excrement?

Archangel
Sun, 01-29-2012, 05:49 PM
What about snake excrement?
How do snakes poop?

MFauli
Sun, 01-29-2012, 06:06 PM
How do snakes poop?

Yeah, snakes and girls donīt poop. Itīs common knowledge.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 01-29-2012, 10:58 PM
But do mermaids poop?

Hey look, rep pips are back.

Marik
Sun, 02-05-2012, 12:21 AM
Episode 18 aired!

Kraco
Sun, 02-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Too bad Ponzu didn't make it through. She was cute.

Holding your breath for five minutes and then carrying three people out of a cave, still without breathing. That takes some guts.

David75
Sun, 02-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Too bad Ponzu didn't make it through. She was cute.

Holding your breath for five minutes and then carrying three people out of a cave, still without breathing. That takes some guts.

Yup, all the more guts when you have a body that already suffered poisoning 2 times and some heavy beating, all of these events should have his stamina greatly depleted.
But them he carries the bunch altogether as if they were as light as feathers.
We already know they are incredibly strong and all, it's just they really stretch it a lot at times.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 02-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Yeah, you would think he'd just make 3 trips, and catch his breath after each person. It's not like the snakes are gonna wake up any time soon.

Uchiha Barles
Sun, 02-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Yup, all the more guts when you have a body that already suffered poisoning 2 times and some heavy beating, all of these events should have his stamina greatly depleted.
We already know they are incredibly strong and all, it's just they really stretch it a lot at times.

I'm actually ok with the stretching they're doing here. In the original anime, there was a point where Gon was mad at some guy who was insanely powerful while he was essentially the Gon you know now. Gon grabbed the guy's arm, squeezed it like he was crushing an orange, and actually hurt him. That seemed to come out of the blue to me back then. But with these exaggerations, that kind of think will make more sense.

Archangel
Sun, 02-05-2012, 08:57 PM
To expect humanly physical limitations out of shonen heros is a little naive.

To me the next episode is the cornerstone where i decide which version of the anime is superior. No spoilers

DarthEnderX
Sun, 02-05-2012, 09:54 PM
with shitty amv musicMore like OUTSTANDING music!

But yeah, I'm really hoping that doesn't get censored a whole lot. Cause it's awesome.

David75
Mon, 02-06-2012, 12:33 AM
To expect humanly physical limitations out of shonen heros is a little naive.

To me the next episode is the cornerstone where i decide which version of the anime is superior. Spoiler link removed

It's not so much about humanly limitations.
Just they should have consistent limitations somewhere, or challenges are pointless. The hunter test becomes pointless.

Munsu
Mon, 02-06-2012, 03:14 AM
People don't go linking to content from future episodes even if it's from the original anime. Thanks.

Anyways, yeah sad to see Ponzu go. Overall an underwhelming episode since not much happened. Escape from a cave, see who passed, and an interview which only had an interesting portion with Hisoka, the rest was boring. Looking forward to the next portion for sure though.

Archangel
Mon, 02-06-2012, 06:02 AM
People don't go linking to content from future episodes even if it's from the original anime. Thanks.

Anyways, yeah sad to see Ponzu go. Overall an underwhelming episode since not much happened. Escape from a cave, see who passed, and an interview which only had an interesting portion with Hisoka, the rest was boring. Looking forward to the next portion for sure though.
That's dumb, i clearly marked the link as from the original and most of us have already watched it anyway.

What you call boring i call character development, that was Gon having a taste of the real world.

Munsu
Mon, 02-06-2012, 06:47 AM
What you call boring i call character development, that was Gon having a taste of the real world.

Boring wasn't the right word, just nothing much happened in the context of a single episode.

Marik
Sat, 02-11-2012, 11:59 PM
Episode 19 aired!

DarthEnderX
Sun, 02-12-2012, 02:31 AM
I don't understand the logic behind the censoring in this episode.

They obviously go to great lengths to avoid showing Gon being struck, yet they'll show him with blood running down his face from a blade stabbing into his head...

I don't get it.

But yeah, the old one was better.

Kraco
Sun, 02-12-2012, 07:13 AM
Poor Hanzo, to be forced to fight against an opponent that unreasonable under so unreasonable rules. Good for Gon he wasn't a petty man, though. Otherwise he would have blinded Gon before giving up, or something.

Carnage
Sun, 02-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Does anyone notice any real difference in quality between the 720p and 1080p?

DarthEnderX
Sun, 02-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Poor Hanzo, to be forced to fight against an opponent that unreasonable under so unreasonable rules. Good for Gon he wasn't a petty man, though. Otherwise he would have blinded Gon before giving up, or something.The obvious solution was "We'll play Rock-Paper-Scissors and agree that the loser has to give up."

Kraco
Sun, 02-12-2012, 03:28 PM
The obvious solution was "We'll play Rock-Paper-Scissors and agree that the loser has to give up."

I was thinking of tossing a coin when Gon was making his demands, but for all his fighting prowess, or perhaps exactly because of it, Hanzo isn't smart enough to come up with such an outside of the box solution. As for Gon... Well, he's not smart enough for anything, being a typical shounen lead.

Munsu
Sun, 02-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Not done with the episode yet, but this is beyond stupid the way they avoid showing Gon getting his ass kicked. Completely disappointed.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 02-12-2012, 07:30 PM
I think Gon would not agree on the rock paper and scissors deal. He has a chance to lose after all. What made him unreasonable is the fact that he would not give up no matter what.

MFauli
Sun, 02-12-2012, 09:57 PM
I found it weird in the manga and the original anime, and I still find it weird here. WHY would Hanzo ever decide to take the loss? It doesnt make any sense. So, whoever admits defeat loses. Okay. But still, what would be Gonīs deserved way to victory? For whatīs worth, both Hanzo and Gon could sit in this room for the rest of their lives, waiting for the other to end the wait. Or rather, Gon would have to wait, because the situation would be clear to Hanzo: He is stronger and he knows that.

I guess the only bit of sense here is that Gon is such a pure-hearted, strong-willed, determind young boy, which softened Hanzo up. Still, this is probably one of the worst of Gonīs scenes, winning not through skills, but through, well, ... pitty?

shinta|hikari
Sun, 02-12-2012, 10:25 PM
WHY would Hanzo ever decide to take the loss? It doesnt make any sense. So, whoever admits defeat loses. Okay. But still, what would be Gonīs deserved way to victory? For whatīs worth, both Hanzo and Gon could sit in this room for the rest of their lives, waiting for the other to end the wait. Or rather, Gon would have to wait, because the situation would be clear to Hanzo: He is stronger and he knows that.

Hanzo took the logical path. It would simply waste his time making Gon submit. He can just win in the next round. He has a ton of chances anyway.

Archangel
Sun, 02-12-2012, 11:23 PM
The old one was better.

Uchiha Barles
Mon, 02-13-2012, 12:09 AM
I found it weird in the manga and the original anime, and I still find it weird here. WHY would Hanzo ever decide to take the loss? It doesnt make any sense. So, whoever admits defeat loses. Okay. But still, what would be Gonīs deserved way to victory? For whatīs worth, both Hanzo and Gon could sit in this room for the rest of their lives, waiting for the other to end the wait. Or rather, Gon would have to wait, because the situation would be clear to Hanzo: He is stronger and he knows that.

I guess the only bit of sense here is that Gon is such a pure-hearted, strong-willed, determind young boy, which softened Hanzo up. Still, this is probably one of the worst of Gonīs scenes, winning not through skills, but through, well, ... pitty?

A simple example to illustrate the point of these fights: If you're given an exam to take, say multiple choice, and then as part of the exam package you're given the answers to the exam, it should very clear to you that the point of the exam isn't entirely to test your knowledge of the subject(s) at hand. While the example isn't directly related to what happened, there's a similar underlying principle.

Netero went through some trouble to match people up based on performance (which itself was rated in a non-straightforward way) and personalities. There are a number of things this exam was designed to test. Off the top of my head, these things include combat prowess, resolve/mental grit, capacity for compassion, miscibility of personality types, among others. No test in the series thus far has ever been *only* what it seemed to be at face value. Why would this one be any different?

Keep this in mind also...what do you think would've happened had Hanzo continued hurting Gon in that fight or even killed him? Asides from possibly failing the exam. Do you think it would've been easy for Hanzo to kill Gon even if he was inclined to? Hisoka, Kurapica, and Leorio most certainly would've had something to say about that...

David75
Mon, 02-13-2012, 12:39 AM
The sped up version was lacking because they did not have enough time to let you understand how long and painful Gon's experience was. They only mentionned 3 hours, but telling it is not enough. There's a minimum time needed to build the illusion it's really slow and painful, then you feel freed like Hanzo when it stops.

Kraco
Mon, 02-13-2012, 02:37 AM
I think Gon would not agree on the rock paper and scissors deal. He has a chance to lose after all. What made him unreasonable is the fact that he would not give up no matter what.

This exam was obviously more about mental strength than any fighting skills or physical power. The only point was not to surrender. However, rock paper scissors is a fully valid combat of its own, and not even a 50-50 random method (according to some). So, losing it wouldn't have been giving up. It would have been losing honestly. Now Gon obviously won dishonestly and has to live with that fact, burdening him further after the humiliation he suffered at Hisoka's hands in the previous trial.

Keep this in mind also...what do you think would've happened had Hanzo continued hurting Gon in that fight or even killed him? Asides from possibly failing the exam. Do you think it would've been easy for Hanzo to kill Gon even if he was inclined to? Hisoka, Kurapica, and Leorio most certainly would've had something to say about that...

The only one he would have needed to worry about is Killua. Kurapica and Leorio would be no match for him, and Hisoka probably would have lost interest in Gon the same moment Gon had died. He might still have decided to fight Hanzo at some point, should they have met afterwards, but that goes for anybody he judges interesting enough to fight when he's feeling his bloodlust, regardless of any history.

MFauli
Mon, 02-13-2012, 06:59 AM
All Iīm saying is that Hanzo let a weaker opponent win. Thereīs no real justification to why this couldnīt happen over and over again, making him the one who fails the exam at the end.

Kraco
Mon, 02-13-2012, 07:24 AM
All Iīm saying is that Hanzo let a weaker opponent win. Thereīs no real justification to why this couldnīt happen over and over again, making him the one who fails the exam at the end.

Assuming he really is a ninja, he would go till the end with the last opponent since he'd have nothing to lose anymore. But then again, he didn't go far enough with Gon, so he's not much of a ninja. Gon simply won Hanzo in the battle of wills, convincing him that no matter what he did, Gon wouldn't budge. If that had proven right, the fight would have been the first and last because the one of them dying of thirst (or some other reason) after an indeterminable time, possibly days, would have made the other one the loser of the whole thing. However, Gon is still a kid so some heavier torture might have changed his opinion. Hanzo simply wasn't enough of a ninja to seek out that limit, especially in front of an audience.

MFauli
Mon, 02-13-2012, 08:41 AM
Gon won due to Hanzo being annoyed, yes :D

Uchiha Barles
Mon, 02-13-2012, 09:10 AM
The only one he would have needed to worry about is Killua. Kurapica and Leorio would be no match for him, and Hisoka probably would have lost interest in Gon the same moment Gon had died. He might still have decided to fight Hanzo at some point, should they have met afterwards, but that goes for anybody he judges interesting enough to fight when he's feeling his bloodlust, regardless of any history.

Not one of those guys would have let Gon die in that fight. Hisoka *might* have held back if he judged that between Leorio, Kurapica, and Killua, that Gon was safe. If by some miracle Gon did die, that might have been the end for Hanzo, there'd be no next year. You might reason with Kurapica, maaaaaaaaybe Leorio, but not Killua and Hisoka. This brings me to the underlying point of the whole exam. Gon had next to no chance of actually getting killed. There's exactly one person there who would have been truly willing to kill him (won't say who). No one else taking the exam enjoys this benefit. Beyond that, Gon had next to no chance of actually giving up. This is probably the main reason he ranked so high.

Munsu
Mon, 02-13-2012, 09:18 AM
The old one was better.

This one you mean? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anDchNrA54g :P

I completely agree, it wasn't even close. What a huge disappointment.

Archangel
Mon, 02-13-2012, 10:39 AM
This one you mean? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anDchNrA54g :P

I completely agree, it wasn't even close. What a huge disappointment.
Bitch stole mah link :O

I could have lived without the awesome exchange of speed in the beginning of the fight, but the censorship just fucking ruined the whole thing. Why is Japan trying to market this shit to kids so hard? HxH is not for kids! Sometimes it can get downright repugnant.

Kraco
Mon, 02-13-2012, 11:42 AM
Not one of those guys would have let Gon die in that fight. Hisoka *might* have held back if he judged that between Leorio, Kurapica, and Killua, that Gon was safe.

Then we can agree to disagree. I don't think Hisoka would have done anything to revenge Gon. Unless seeing him die gruesomely would have pushed his own bloodlust over the edge - though in that case the rattleman next to him might have stopped him for the sake of passing the trial. I don't think he gives a shit about Gon as a person. He only foresees a good fighting opponent. However, a good fighting opponent is not someone who loses miserably under circumstances like that.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 02-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Not one of those guys would have let Gon die in that fight. Hisoka *might* have held back if he judged that between Leorio, Kurapica, and Killua, that Gon was safe. If by some miracle Gon did die, that might have been the end for Hanzo, there'd be no next year. You might reason with Kurapica, maaaaaaaaybe Leorio, but not Killua and Hisoka.Honestly, I don't think Leorio, Kurapica and Killua can beat Hanzo either.

Hanzo is always one of my favorite characters early in the series, because he's introduced as something of a joke character, but he's actually rather hypercompetent.

Munsu
Mon, 02-13-2012, 10:24 PM
I don't know about "not one of those guys would have let Gon die", I don't think they'd have time to react to a death blow. I'm pretty sure Kurapica and Killua would've been able to handle Hanzo. Kurapica has looked quite uber when he has his red eyes thing going, and Killua, well... it's Killua, he looked very unimpressed by Hanzo's performance and we know he's a bit of a monster.

Archangel
Tue, 02-14-2012, 12:09 AM
... fucking Munsu, making arguments i can't counter without spoiling shit.

I have a VERY STRONG FEELING that Hanzo is stronger than Killua.

Carnage
Tue, 02-14-2012, 12:18 AM
... fucking Munsu, making arguments i can't counter without spoiling shit.

What? No way in hell. Hanzo is a ninja, Killua is a goddamned monster.

Uchiha Barles
Tue, 02-14-2012, 12:23 AM
It seems evident that some of us have seen the previous series and some of us haven't. I disagree with people in both camps but for the sake of those in the latter, I can't go any further with my argument :(

Archangel
Tue, 02-14-2012, 01:01 AM
Well it seems obvious to me that people who haven't watched the old one should get their mouth off those thousand cocks they're currently choking on and go watch as while us cool kids discussed and compared the shit out of it.

neflight86
Tue, 02-14-2012, 01:10 AM
I guess I should be considering myself blessed to not have ever watched the original series. It seems to be actually detracting from others' enjoyment of this series by comparison. I like what I'm seeing every week as this shounen stands alone in surprising me with its developments. As this is a running manga again (which I don't read), I decided to only watch the concordantly running anime for the long haul; for better or for worse. And right now, its all for better to me. This is a very enjoyable series as I see it. Things like how dark or gory it is or should be are thankfully foreign to me.

I'm sorry that those who watched the previous series may feel disappointed by the new one's direction. I really am. I hope it gets better for you, too.

As for contribution to discussion, victory by pity seems to be the only way Gon could win this one, which does feel a bit silly, but that effectively makes him a hunter guaranteed now, right?

Archangel
Tue, 02-14-2012, 01:14 AM
Ignorance is bliss vs. Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

Kraco
Tue, 02-14-2012, 03:09 AM

This fight and the way Hanzo gave up surprisingly fast suggest Killua is more of a killer than Hanzo. Ninja and assassin aren't that different at all; I guess you could say they are merely from different parts of the world and ninja had more use in spying as well. It doesn't take that much to kill a person, not even in HxH, I suspect, so between those two the one making the first successful strike would be the winner. It likely wouldn't happen on an open battlefield like this; they aren't assassins and ninja just for the kicks of the title.

MFauli
Tue, 02-14-2012, 07:11 AM
What? No way in hell. Hanzo is a ninja, Killua is a goddamned monster.

I dunno. If I had to make a comparison, Iīd say that Hanzo is like Rock Lee, while Killua is more of a Sasuke. And we all know how bad Sasuke faired against Rock Lee in the beginning of the Naruto-series.

Marik
Sun, 02-19-2012, 12:25 AM
Episode 20 aired!

MFauli
Sun, 02-19-2012, 06:37 AM
Fantastic episode.

I cannot really explain how it makes any sense, but ... this episode felt totally different from any before. It made me feel as if I were watching Neon Genesis Evangelion, if that makes any sense. The music, the change in atmosphere, the high stakes... Chilling, absolutely chilling.

Itīs scenes like these that convinved me of HXH being the best shounen-series.

Uchiha Barles
Sun, 02-19-2012, 07:20 AM
Really? The just glanced over the Kurapica fight? Surely they fucking realize this is a *tournament* in a *shounen* series...I'm all for proper pacing but this is getting ridiculous.

...Killua's match was awesome though.

Penner
Sun, 02-19-2012, 08:18 AM
Man that was tense. Excellent episode.

MFauli
Sun, 02-19-2012, 08:48 AM
What I really loved was how confidently Illumi approached Kurapika, Leorio and Hanzo guarding the door. Forget about Leorio, and also Kurapika. But Illumi KNOWS how strong/skilled Hanzo is. The fact that we can assume that Illumi is not a hot-blooded idiot, itīs likely that he *is* strong enough to engage all three of them in a battle at once. Itīs kinda scary to imagine how powerful Illumi is.

David75
Sun, 02-19-2012, 09:31 AM
The only real complain I have with how the show has progressed till now is Leorio's character development.
I guess they had to cut a lot, and he suffered the most, leaving a feeling he was only very lucky to be with Kurapika, Gon and Killua.

Of course being lucky and being able to team with people that will help you is also valid to become a hunter, but it doesn't feel right in the way he's been portrayed.
I guess his good points should have been when he healed someone important (those shape changing creatures) and the Bourbon/Ponzu cave trap. But it felt lacking.

Penner
Sun, 02-19-2012, 09:32 AM
I'm very curious about what Hisoka was whispering to people..

DarthEnderX
Sun, 02-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Really? The just glanced over the Kurapica fight? Surely they fucking realize this is a *tournament* in a *shounen* series...I'm all for proper pacing but this is getting ridiculous. I'm guessing that they realized that since the audience already knows the tournament is over and who lost, there's no point trying to build a lot of tension in the earlier fights.

Uchiha Barles
Sun, 02-19-2012, 12:03 PM
I'm guessing that they realized that since the audience already knows the tournament is over and who lost, there's no point trying to build a lot of tension in the earlier fights.

Kurapica's fight wasn't about building tension so much as it was about being awesome. Awesome fights are what shounen series are about, in large part. I mean, if you're going to skimp on things because you assume your core audience has seen this already, then why should your core audience watch this again?

Anyway, I was really looking forward to Kurapica's fight being updated and made more awesome, but barring that, there's still the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5aDPg-NrSA

MFauli
Sun, 02-19-2012, 02:15 PM
I donīt mind the shortend fight between Hisoka and Kurapica. Even though Kurapika manages to successfully land a hit on his opponent, Hisoka is clearly so overwhelmigly superior to him, itīs not really interesting to watch. Basically, itīs a repeat of Hanzo vs Gon.

Splash!
Sun, 02-19-2012, 02:25 PM
Kurapica's fight wasn't about building tension so much as it was about being awesome. Awesome fights are what shounen series are about, in large part. I mean, if you're going to skimp on things because you assume your core audience has seen this already, then why should your core audience watch this again?

The only problem is that in the original anime, in order to flesh out the fight, they decided to deviate from the manga plot and place it ahead of Gon and Hanzo's fight (so that it wasn't simply an afterthought). In the manga, Gon is supposed to sleep through the fight, just as it happened in the newer version.

It seems they really are trying to follow the manga more closely in the newer version.

Archangel
Sun, 02-19-2012, 04:33 PM
The only problem is that in the original anime, in order to flesh out the fight, they decided to deviate from the manga plot and place it ahead of Gon and Hanzo's fight (so that it wasn't simply an afterthought). In the manga, Gon is supposed to sleep through the fight, just as it happened in the newer version.

It seems they really are trying to follow the manga more closely in the newer version.
Except they're censoring the shit out of everything...

Splash!
Sun, 02-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Yeah, the way they censor stuff has me quite confused. For instance, they have no problems showing Killua's face and hands smeared with blood after the fact, but they won't show any blood coming out when he is thrusting his hand into Bodoro's chest.

antiravage
Mon, 02-20-2012, 02:55 PM

Anyway, I was really looking forward to Kurapica's fight being updated and made more awesome, but barring that, there's still the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5aDPg-NrSA

Filler, all filler. The new anime is following the manga without too much filler... The old anime went as far as changing some events so that they could add filler.

That's the difference. Bitching about this is like bitching that DBkai removed the fillers of the original dragon ball.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 02-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Filler, all filler. The new anime is following the manga without too much filler... The old anime went as far as changing some events so that they could add filler.

That's the difference. Bitching about this is like bitching that DBkai removed the fillers of the original dragon ball.The end result though is that this series is mostly convincing me that it's the MANGA that wasn't as good as I thought it was.

When all the best parts of the original series turn out to have been filler, that doesn't say much for the source material.

antiravage
Tue, 02-21-2012, 11:10 AM
The end result though is that this series is mostly convincing me that it's the MANGA that wasn't as good as I thought it was.

When all the best parts of the original series turn out to have been filler, that doesn't say much for the source material.

The manga isn’t as good as you thought it was because it didn’t have Hisoka and Kurapica’s skirmish? What else did you miss in the new anime? Leorio taking the bus? I’m sure that’s a moment to remember… Or a woundless Hisoka attracting butterflies that follow the scent of blood?

Togashi is recognized by the most impartial manga fans as the most talented mangaka working for shonen jump. Yes, even above Oda. He wrote YYH, and his now on his second successful manga. You think a guy like that would write something that isn't good? ”. It’s true that talent comes with a prize, and that’s that Togashi is lazy as fuck… reason why he’s always taking breaks. But even through he treats his fans like shit, everytime a volume comes out, he makes tons of money. The sales of HxH are better than bleach and other mainstream (which HxH isn't) mangas.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 02-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Togashi is recognized by the most impartial manga fans as the most talented mangaka working for shonen jump.I'm gonna call bullshit on this unless a mangaka's quality is judged completely separately from the quality of their artwork.

I also love the use of the term "impartial manga fans" while sounding like the exact opposite of that.

antiravage
Tue, 02-21-2012, 11:48 AM
I'm gonna call bullshit on this unless a mangaka's quality is judged completely separately from the quality of their artwork.
Not my fault that instead of buying the volumes, you try to rip the man off by reading his manga online. Like I said, Togashi is lazy. He rushes many of his chapters to the point you can’t understand what’s going on… and that’s why he redraws those chapters for the volume releases… Unfortunately for those who only read it online, you can’t find the touched up version online. That’s why you’re stuck with the shitty scans and with shitty translations.

Comparison (some pages of future arcs, beware):

Find images not from future arcs for comparison.

I also love the use of the term "impartial manga fans" while sounding like the exact opposite of that.
Well, it’s true. Who else other than Togashi can tell the shonen jump editors to fuck off? Who else can take as many breaks as he does? Who else stops drawing for 2 years so that he can play rpgs? You think shonen jump puts up with it because they like the guy? No, he calls the shots because he earned it. Kishimoto, who know, Naruto’s mangaka, bows down to Togashi and asked the man if he could take some ideas from his mangas (read his interviews with Togashi and you’ll see). Even Kubo’s formula is taken from YYH.

I just found it disrespectful for you (someone who seems not to know a lot about the guy) to say that the anime was what made his work great.

Penner
Tue, 02-21-2012, 12:31 PM
Even tho you say "beware", don't post stuff related to things that hasn't happened in the current anime yet >_>

Archangel
Tue, 02-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Explicit spoilers in order to prove some retarded point.

Also if we go by impartiality, nothing is more impartial than numbers and Oda breaks record sales with each released volume of One Piece.

antiravage
Tue, 02-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Explicit spoilers in order to prove some retarded point.

Retarded point?

His point: Implying Togashi’s art sucks.
My point: Togashi’s art doesn’t suck as much as he thinks.

MFauli
Tue, 02-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Wasnīt Togashiīs problem some illness, making it hard for him to make steady lines, thus resulting in some truly terribly drawn chapters? First time I hear about him taking breaks for gaming. Thought that was only Kentaro Miura, who loves them little girls (Idol Master...)

DarthEnderX
Sun, 02-26-2012, 12:39 AM
Not my fault that instead of buying the volumes, you try to rip the man off by reading his manga online. Yes "guy on forum for anime unreleased in the US that's also the forum to a group that does illegal fansubs" I'm sure you don't read manga online at all...

He rushes many of his chapters to the point you can't understand what's going on'; and that's why he redraws those chapters for the volume releases; I love how, somehow, in your head, this sounded like a totally reasonable defense.

"Guys! He's just lazy and incomprehensible! That's why you can't tell what an artistic genius he is!"

Also, he somehow finds the time to redraw these things before they come out in volumes, yet continues to release his current stuff looking like ass. You ever think maybe if he spent the time he spends redoing the old stuff on the current stuff instead, maybe it wouldn't look so bad in the first place?

Well, it’s true. Who else other than Togashi can tell the shonen jump editors to fuck off? Who else can take as many breaks as he does? Who else stops drawing for 2 years so that he can play rpgs? You think shonen jump puts up with it because they like the guy? No, he calls the shots because he earned it. Kishimoto, who know, Naruto’s mangaka, bows down to Togashi and asked the man if he could take some ideas from his mangas (read his interviews with Togashi and you’ll see).Because in Japan, nothing is more important than seniority. He gets the respect he does because he's been doing it the longest.

I just found it disrespectful for you (someone who seems not to know a lot about the guy) to say that the anime was what made his work great.I don't know or care ANYTHING about the guy on a personal level. I judge him by the work he produces. And from what I've seen, he's a good storyteller, and a terrible artist.

Kraco
Sun, 02-26-2012, 07:27 AM
Also, he somehow finds the time to redraw these things before they come out in volumes, yet continues to release his current stuff looking like ass. You ever think maybe if he spent the time he spends redoing the old stuff on the current stuff instead, maybe it wouldn't look so bad in the first place?

Sounds like good business if he can make people pay twice for the same product, only first in inferior quality, then normal. Much better than using aired anime with heavy censoring and graphical mistakes to market the eventual BDs without censoring and the glitches fixed. After all, people don't pay for the aired episodes.

Penner
Sun, 02-26-2012, 08:09 AM
No ep this week? or is it just delayed for some reason?

Marik
Sun, 02-26-2012, 08:12 AM
Episode 21 doesn't air until March 4th.

Edit: http://anime.webnt.jp/programs/view/55

MFauli
Sun, 02-26-2012, 08:35 AM
Bummer :(

At least I found out that the new Prince of Tennis-anime started like 8 weeks ago, and I didnīt notice because nobody made a new topic for it. :P

Marik
Sun, 03-04-2012, 12:04 AM
Episode 21 aired!

DarthEnderX
Sun, 03-04-2012, 06:08 AM
Hmm, I forget, was Email even, like, a thing when the series first came out?

David75
Sun, 03-04-2012, 06:16 AM

Yup, e-mails were already working in 99 on desktops and had been for a while.

it was even possible to have on cell-phones it with I-mode by NTT Docomo I think.

Carnage
Sun, 03-04-2012, 08:39 PM
I really wish this anime were aired at night for a more mature audience. It has too much of a "boyish" feel for it still.

Archangel
Sun, 03-04-2012, 08:51 PM
...it's not THAT old.

Marik
Sun, 03-11-2012, 12:01 AM
Episode 22 aired!

MFauli
Sun, 03-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Itīs ideas like these that confirm HXH to be the best shounen-series of all time. Damn, Mike is such a creepy creature, even though it makes me wonder what kind of animal he actually is. I mean, this thing could kill any low rank-hunter with ease. The Zaoldyek-family could just raise a whole bunch of those "dogs" and dominate the world lol.

I also love the idea with the gates. Even though it is one of those super-unrealistic things, since just no human being would ever be able to push two tons.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 03-11-2012, 03:39 PM
I also love the idea with the gates. Even though it is one of those super-unrealistic things, since just no human being would ever be able to push two tons.It's fairly clear that the doorman wasn't simply using physical human strength.

Most people don't glow when they flex their muscles.

MFauli
Sun, 03-11-2012, 04:54 PM
It's fairly clear that the doorman wasn't simply using physical human strength.

Yeah, though I donīt think that glow existed in the original anime. Not that it matters anyway, I wasnīt really complaining.

Archangel
Sun, 03-11-2012, 08:52 PM
It's fairly clear that the doorman wasn't simply using physical human strength.

>He doesn't glow when flexing his muscles

http://chocolatesyrupywaffles.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/FateStayNight-RinLaughing.gif

Ender confirmed for weakling.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 03-12-2012, 04:24 AM
>He doesn't glow when flexing his muscles

Ender confirmed for weakling.Wait, no! I totally glow when I flex! Also, little chunks (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChunkyUpdraft) of the floor float up into the air!

Archangel
Mon, 03-12-2012, 05:45 AM
In other news, did anyone else laugh at the Rotary dial telephone with push buttons?

Kraco
Mon, 03-12-2012, 07:12 AM
In other news, did anyone else laugh at the Rotary dial telephone with push buttons?

I have seen those in RL.

The gate was pretty cool and most likely serves well its purpose to amaze tourists. I guess it's also some kind of an ego gauge for the family members, who can try to impress each other by pushing open more gates. Maybe it's also there to preserve Mike's life; anybody strong enough to open the gates could potentially be able to hurt the dog.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 03-15-2012, 08:55 AM
In other news, did anyone else laugh at the Rotary dial telephone with push buttons?I DID!

At first, I thought it was a mistake. Cause it was clearly a rotary phone, but when the man used it, it was clearly beeping like a pushbutton phone. I figured "Oh, they used the old mangas visuals but forgot to use the right sound effects."

But then, nope, Gon pushes the goddamn buttons! I was like, wtf?!

Archangel
Thu, 03-15-2012, 02:28 PM
You know what's even better? The manga's phone looks nothing like this one.

Marik
Sun, 03-18-2012, 01:28 AM
Episode 23 aired!

David75
Sun, 03-18-2012, 04:00 AM
Kanaria's screen time was short. Too bad, the impression is clearly lessened.

Kraco
Sun, 03-18-2012, 05:29 AM
Yeah, even though they showed the day turning into an evening, it still felt like she gave up quite quickly, or rather Gon didn't need to go through that much. But then again, I don't really mind. It's not like I'd care so hugely about characters appearing out of nowhere and then disappearing never to be seen again.

MFauli
Sun, 03-18-2012, 06:44 AM
Did they change the testing door events? I believe to remember that Gon and the rest managed to open the first do together, BUT then they decided to stay with the two guards until each one of them could open the first door by themselves. And Leorio even managed to open the second door afaik. Am I imagining things?!

Marik
Sat, 03-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Episode 24 aired!

DarthEnderX
Sun, 03-25-2012, 01:55 AM
I'd forgotten that Killua's mom was a creepy cyborg.

Kraco
Sun, 03-25-2012, 05:20 AM
The family certainly has very diverse members. But at least some of them realise a whipped dog won't make the best leader.

Uchiha Barles
Mon, 03-26-2012, 01:18 AM
Did they change the testing door events? I believe to remember that Gon and the rest managed to open the first do together, BUT then they decided to stay with the two guards until each one of them could open the first door by themselves. And Leorio even managed to open the second door afaik. Am I imagining things?!

DUDE!! I could've sworn the exact same thing. I have it on one of HDs somewhere so I can probably check and make sure, but later.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 03-27-2012, 02:07 AM
The family certainly has very diverse members. But at least some of them realise a whipped dog won't make the best leader.And the ones that don't probably don't intend for him to BECOME leader. I don't imagine his older siblings approve of the idea of him taking over some day.

Uchiha Barles
Tue, 03-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Illumi seems wholly dedicated to making sure Killua takes over the family someday. His whole presence thus far has been to get Kil to return home, and he could've done that without all of the mind games geared towards making kil feel like his destiny has been railroaded.

Marik
Sat, 03-31-2012, 11:27 PM
Episode 25 aired!

Penner
Sun, 04-01-2012, 07:20 AM
Aww c'mon, i really wanted Canary to join up and go with Gon and the gang, i liked her :/

As soon as they said the word "Arena" i immediately got psyched!

MFauli
Sun, 04-01-2012, 07:24 AM
The music is just so perfect in this anime. So thrilling, when Gotoh became serious all of sudden.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 04-01-2012, 10:51 AM
The music is just so perfect in this anime. So thrilling, when Gotoh became serious all of sudden."Zooo-ooool-diiiiiiick"

kyubisrage
Sun, 04-08-2012, 01:02 PM
any ep this week?

Marik
Sun, 04-08-2012, 01:20 PM
any ep this week?
Yeah, a recap episode.

MFauli
Sun, 04-08-2012, 01:56 PM
sigh...

:/

Penner