PDA

View Full Version : GotWoot Story Contest - Semi-Finals - Round 2

Sapphire
Thu, 08-11-2011, 10:04 AM
VOTE.

I'll PM the lot of you if you don't vote within a day or two, the participants. Let's wrap this up.

Nadouku
Fri, 08-12-2011, 03:29 PM
For this round, I voted on The Mechanic and The Man with a Thousand Dicks.

The Mechanic: It's a pretty compelling story and has a twist that was pretty weird to swallow at first.

The Man with a Thousand Dicks: What can I say? This story just made me laugh. Even though it has no set direction in its story, it has a charm that makes it pretty humorous.

You know, this is pretty sad. I thought there would be more people commenting in this contest.

SeanW
Fri, 08-12-2011, 03:43 PM
What's the rush? Round 1 voting was open for over a week. Is it really fair to give other rounds less time?

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-13-2011, 03:31 AM
Most have already commented on all these stories in the earlier rounds. You can't expect us to review it every time we vote.

Sapphire
Sat, 08-13-2011, 07:07 AM
Both of you are right. This time though, I'll be more proactive in getting everyone to vote. So far so good.

Xelbair
Sat, 08-13-2011, 08:05 AM
I don't get why people vote for man with 1k dicks, humor is weak, nothing special in there. the only 'interesting' thing is the idea for main character.

Nadouku
Sat, 08-13-2011, 09:21 AM
Most have already commented on all these stories in the earlier rounds. You can't expect us to review it every time we vote.

I don't understand this logic.

You don't have to type a full review again and again, but at least type something to let others know why you felt this choice deserved the vote. I mean, is it really that hard to spend at most five minutes telling others why you liked this story? This seems to promote laziness and I'm pretty sure Sapphire doesn't like that attitude.

DeadlyOats
Tue, 08-23-2011, 03:01 PM
I voted for "The Mechanic" and "Firefly". They both used descriptions that really helped to paint the scene and put you there where the action was. I 'cared' about Mike, and I could picture him clearly in his pad. I could feel the tension in that prison camp room, and could see the cogs turning in his head as he tried to think of a way out of his predicament. However, I think that I was disappointed because the stories were pretty much the same stories as before - perhaps better edited and with improved styles, but no new material or whatnot.

I still think Thousand Dicks was funny, but because of that "no-new-materials" thing to further the story along, I did not feel it mustered enough points for second place (Mechanic was first place in my voting). "Intervention".... Again... A deep, "social-issues" oriented story. I don't like those kinds of stories, but that's not why I din't vote for it. I didn't vote for it because, again, there was nothing new in the story. The dialogue between the characters was passionate and intense, but I din't really feel the 'first-person-narrator' style worked out so well in this case. I've seen it used in other stories and it's not a bad device to use in story telling, but it didn't quite work for me, this time.

Perhaps I misunderstood; I thought that along with editorial improvements, there was suppose to be 'more story' told... I did not see that.

enkoujin
Tue, 08-23-2011, 10:55 PM
The Mechanic

- same good story; I said before that this was going to win and it looks just like that

- I haven't seen any different interpretations or updates since my last post on my story, so I'm guessing my analysis was more-or-less correct

The Man With a Thousand Dicks

- very funny (only thing going for it)

Firefly

- no emphasis or explanation from the author so far so until I see it edited with more content or a note explaining what monkeys and fireflies represent, I'm still wavering my vote for this

Intervention

- I liked this story - it was climatic for the most part as the characters revealed the protagonist's history

- however, I thought the neighbour characters were a bit unnecessary and it was rather anti-climatic in the end (we don't know if he solved his problem or not, but judging from the last line who isn't labelled, chances are that he decided to stop drinking)

Sapphire
Wed, 08-24-2011, 08:22 AM
I'll start the next round when I come back from Europe on the 27th ish. Vote!

Sapphire
Sun, 08-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Winners been decided. Making next round now.