PDA

View Full Version : Possibly a serious topic?

DO
Tue, 08-02-2011, 12:04 AM
I signed up in 2004 so that automatically makes me better than you.

But really, in all the years I have been around on the internet I have never been able to fully get into posting on forums I consider myself an IRC type of person. Although, even now I'm idle more than active. So where do you guys see irc/forums in the future?

Carnage
Tue, 08-02-2011, 12:18 AM
Facepoop.

enkoujin
Tue, 08-02-2011, 12:55 AM
I have noticed that the IRC does have a lot more people in it recently, but they're probably just bots or people who are sitting for releases by the subbing team. Knowing that this subbing team has fantastic quality releases and translations and should they decide to pick up the mainstream and more popular shows every season, the IRC will grow and discussion there will flourish. Should the subbing team stick to its subbing of less mainstream anime (which is fine with me), then the rate of increased members and forum activity will be stay constant.

As for the forums, I have to say - it is very hard for new members to settle in on this place. In other words, it's moderately difficult to have ideas and messages conveyed on the forums because the newer members tend to be less mature (due to smaller mental age), have awful spelling and grammar and aren't very thoughtful in their posts.

Most of the regular posters here have high reputation, seniority and are considerably more older than most other anime forums. Therefore, the community becomes highly polarized between these two groups as there is a wide gap between the opinions, logic and reasoning of the two groups. Again, this isn't bad per say because I certainly enjoy the higher intelligence of others here, but newer members feel intimidated when posting for fear of being ignored or corrected.

Concurrently, if you include the factors of people becoming lazier with technology, you'll see that anime audiences are easily more drawn into the allures of blogging and their commenting, anime boards (rather than forums), live chats (IRC/IM) and real-life discussions (conferences, conventions, etc.). Many people don't even have enough time to discuss the anime that they watch with today's jobs demanding workers to voluntarily work through the use of e-mailing, presentation preparations, .etc or with students being pressured to study harder due to great competition.

I'm not too sure what objectives the original creators of GotWoot were originally aiming for, whether they have succeeded or not and what the goals are currently, but I would have to say I enjoy this place already and I'll support whatever decisions they'll come up with in the near future.

Ryllharu
Tue, 08-02-2011, 03:27 AM
I have noticed that the IRC does have a lot more people in it recently, but they're probably just bots or people who are sitting for releases by the subbing team.
[long winded post continues]
Most of the regular posters here have high reputation, seniority and are considerably more older than most other anime forums.
[snipped again!]
Again, this isn't bad per say because I certainly enjoy the higher intelligence of others here, but newer members feel intimidated when posting for fear of being ignored or corrected.[post continues]
a) You're in the wrong irc channel. There are exactly two bots in the real one.
b) The second part is a good point, but people shouldn't be intimated. The problem is a lot of the new members that came in due to the fansubbing only make comments on the fansub episode link pages, and don't continue on to the forums. I do not know that that is fixable, unless they are forced to come to the forums to get release links. Now that they have their own page, this is probably impossible.

Conclusion: DO should say more in the IRC channel when he has time, and post in the forums in the general sections topics.

Kraco
Tue, 08-02-2011, 03:44 AM
Conclusion: DO should ... and post in the forums in the general sections topics.

Uhhuh... You should be careful with what you wish for.

I don't think the creators of this place had any high ideals, but considering only one of the them sticks around anymore, though posting very little even if still investing time in the maintenance, it should be safe to assume this site already fulfilled whatever realistic expectations they might have had. Now we are only running on fumes.

I'd expect anime to be more popular than ever today, so it would make sense anime forums would be more popular than ever as well. But maybe the net emphasis has moved to facebook and other shit like that, leaving forums a thing of the past.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-02-2011, 03:46 AM
The most active forums (fora?) are usually the stupidest ones, simply because anyone can and will post anything.

It's trite, but I opt for quality over quantity.

Try reading some Mangafox threads and you will inevitably agree.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-02-2011, 09:12 AM
As for the forums, I have to say - it is very hard for new members to settle in on this place. In other words, it's moderately difficult to have ideas and messages conveyed on the forums because the newer members tend to be less mature (due to smaller mental age), have awful spelling and grammar and aren't very thoughtful in their posts.

If Ark can do it, anyone can do it.

Assertn
Tue, 08-02-2011, 01:40 PM
I signed up in 2004 so that automatically makes me better than you.My reg date makes your statement invalid.

rockmanj
Tue, 08-02-2011, 02:13 PM
My reg date makes your statement invalid.

/I cosign that.

Animeniax
Tue, 08-02-2011, 05:06 PM
I like butt/legs more than boobs. Does that make me more or less shallow than boob guys?

Carnage
Tue, 08-02-2011, 07:10 PM
I like butt/legs more than boobs.

Amen Brotha

Animeniax
Tue, 08-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Amen BrothaThe term for the gorgeous crease between the butt and leg is "creavage".

joker-kun
Tue, 08-02-2011, 10:40 PM

But really, in all the years I have been around on the internet I have never been able to fully get into posting on forums I consider myself an IRC type of person. Although, even now I'm idle more than active. So where do you guys see irc/forums in the future?

Much like Assertn, I am better than you. Suck it.

dragonrage
Wed, 08-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Much social medium has popped up DO (Fuckbook, MyASS, and the like) and a lot of the old has moved on, just as you have to some extent.

IRC either dead or dying, they now charge you for the shit. Forums will always be around if some form or the other.

animus
Wed, 08-03-2011, 08:52 PM

I've got a 4 month advantage on you.

DO
Fri, 08-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Actually, I beat you all. I found Gotwoot in 03, but never signed up until a bunch of the IRC guys forced me into it... Mainly to make fun of people with them.

Plus we had some interesting things go on that year and onward:

- Some chick hacks Gotwoot

..... <--- random bannings in between both of these events

- krb deletes mut

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-06-2011, 09:06 AM
The point is you said you beat us because you signed up in 2004. Which is it?

DO
Sat, 08-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Which point is more important does not matter! You really have to focus on the essences of the topic and not the content.

dragonrage
Sat, 08-06-2011, 11:34 AM
It's this the essence of the topic ?
So where do you guys see irc/forums in the future?

DB_Hunter
Sun, 08-07-2011, 01:32 PM
My reg date makes your statement invalid.

Same old same old.

Animeniax
Sun, 08-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Shit old schoolers coming out of the woodwork! Someone get the roach spray.

DO
Tue, 08-09-2011, 12:11 AM
Well thread goal reached: 2 pages. Thanks for being tricked into posting here.... I yet again demonstrate my great control over the community. :)

Animeniax
Tue, 08-09-2011, 12:18 AM
Most of the threads I start typically reach 20 pages of hard-hitting, insightful, and life-changing content. Let's see your little irc channel do that.