PDA

View Full Version : Mawaru Penguindrum

Buffalobiian
Fri, 07-29-2011, 10:20 AM
http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/1896/penguinl.jpg

Genres: comedy (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/encyclopedia/search/genreresults?w=series&a=AA&a=OC&a=TA&a=MA&g=comedy&o=rating), drama (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/encyclopedia/search/genreresults?w=series&a=AA&a=OC&a=TA&a=MA&g=drama/D&o=rating)
Themes: Fate (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/encyclopedia/search/genreresults?w=series&a=AA&a=OC&a=TA&a=MA&th=Fate&o=rating)

Plot Summary: The story centers around three siblings, twins Kanba and Shouma, and the ill sister, Himari Takakura. Himari passes away after going out on a trip with her brothers. She was however, miraculously saved by a spirit thriving in a penguin-shaped hat. In return for her extended life, the twins must search for an item known as the Penguin Drum with the aid of three penguins which are visible only to the siblings.

-Source: ANN

gg - Episode 01 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=226537), 02 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=228346), 03 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=230174), 04 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=232154)

-----------------------------------------

The lolwut show of the season.

(http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=232154)

shinta|hikari
Fri, 07-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Really strange but cool transformation. That waki... yum~

The show itself is very interesting. Just what is the penguin drum?

Buffalobiian
Fri, 07-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Really strange but cool transformation. That waki... yum~

The show itself is very interesting. Just what is the penguin drum?

No idea, with nothing to really speculate with, lol.

I find it funny how she keeps badmouthing them every time she transforms, as well as gradually strip her skirt..

But that's cool. The mysterious eyes and superiority that's revealed when alter-Himari talks reminds me of CC.

miyama_ryu
Sun, 07-31-2011, 10:54 AM
My theory is that the diary is already pre-written and that all Ringo does is to fulfil it and put a stamp on it. That and Mr teacher's girlfriend has exactly the same diary as Stalker girl. I mean is it really a coincidence that not only do they like the same guy, but they both made curry on the exact same day, they were both bitten. I think it was the girlfriend who pushed the girl down the escalator and not Ringo as the show currently wants us to believe.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 07-31-2011, 12:11 PM
I think it was the girlfriend who pushed the girl down the escalator and not Ringo as the show currently wants us to believe.

That's an interesting thought. It didn't occur to me that that could happen. I thought it would have either been Ringo, or the chick that was giving directions on the phone - who I assumed wasn't Yuri.

edit: The penguin really didn't need a mirror for this shot.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/3853/ggmawarupenguindrum0468.jpg

MFauli
Sun, 07-31-2011, 01:01 PM
Very strange series and I wonder where it goes. But entertaining, so far.

edit: The penguin really didn't need a mirror for this shot.

He did it for US! Be thankful!

Ryllharu
Tue, 08-02-2011, 06:32 PM
....yeah.

This show is really, really, really fscking weird. But I like it. The whole thing is just completely absurd. The "princess" not really knowing what the penguin drum is, but using it as the agreement for saving Himari. The womanizing older brother being in love with his sister (?), but all his ex's banding together to get revenge on him. The stalker girl...being a total psycho, and the actress menacingly declaring that the stalker has no chance.

The 70s shoujo manga scenes in episode 4 were priceless.

I rather enjoy that most of the main cast are relative newcomers, with the more experienced VAs providing the side characters.

edit: Also, they make the "princess" such a mysterious, powerful, and cryptic existence...and then in episode 3, the only way she can think of proving herself to not be Himari playing tricks on them is by drinking a lot of milk...

Watching this show is like being on drugs.

Kraco
Thu, 08-04-2011, 04:44 AM
The penguins are easily one of the best things about this show. They are always doing something funny in the background, oft acting like animals and eating people's food or exploring private places out of curiosity. Furthermore how especially the older brother exploits them like it's completely natural makes it all the better.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-06-2011, 10:35 AM
gg - Episode 05 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=234143)

Kraco
Sat, 08-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Ringo seems like an insider now as well, having witnessed the princess and how Himari is a hostage. I guess that gives more credibility to the numerous fanarts depicting Ringo and Shouma as a couple... Although she has her own agenda (destiny) she's fervently following so who knows. Though we haven't yet seen what manner of plans the book next lists to her. For all we know they could deviate more from the sensei path.

Ryllharu
Sat, 08-06-2011, 11:45 AM
She has her own agenda of "destiny," but she's pretty obviously wrong about who it is with. All the things she marked as fulfilled on that trip to the park were not with the teacher, but with Shouma.

I did like Ringo clawing her way out of the hole in illusion land. She's crazy.

I am most curious about the leader of the revenge-on-Kanba group. She gathers all these ex-girlfriends, but then pushes them down the escalator (it was definitely her sleeve), and wipes their memories with her paintball/bullets. Is she hoping that Kanba will want to visit one in the hospital? Also, Horie Yui ftw.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-07-2011, 09:25 AM
I am most curious about the leader of the revenge-on-Kanba group. She gathers all these ex-girlfriends, but then pushes them down the escalator (it was definitely her sleeve), and wipes their memories with her paintball/bullets. Is she hoping that Kanba will want to visit one in the hospital? Also, Horie Yui ftw.

What was weird was that she wiped the latest girl's memory when, according to gg's subs, the victim stated that she saw HIM push her down the escalators. It's not even out of self defence. Perhaps she just doesn't want anybody caught up in this so erases the memory of whoever thinks they remember the person who pushed them...

@Ryll's theory regarding Destiny: Ringo didn't buy any cake for Shouma today. Only the actress bought some for her boyfriend. I'm more inclined to believe that the diary is about the actress and not Ringo, following what Miyama ryu's posted.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 08-19-2011, 10:14 AM
gg - Episode 06 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=238244)

Kraco
Fri, 08-19-2011, 01:49 PM
The Fate diary was originally Ringo's sister's and Ringo just obtained it after the sister died? I wonder if it was Momoka's fate to die or if it was a result of the weird battle still going on. In any case Ringo using it seems a bit twisted by Fate's standards, so losing to the actress all the time isn't that odd (losing to her or misinterpreting the fate; the same thing pretty much).

If Shouma and Ringo did end up together, Shouma would already have the mom's approval, at the very least. I hope that happens before the show ends.

Ryllharu
Fri, 08-19-2011, 04:31 PM
It's weird though. A lot of the things in the diary are true, they're just usually not Tabuki and Ringo. They're either Ringo and Shouma, or Tabuki and the actress. They are disturbingly accurate, only the parties involved in each event are wrong (from Ringo's interpretation). Momoka wrote all the stuff down before she died. If she died 5 years before Ringo's father left, that means they were somewhere in middle school, possibly earlier. All this stuff about "first nights" and highly detailed descriptions of various dates (for clarity: the going out kind of dates) isn't something I would expect from a middle schooler's love-fantasy diary. Even if Momoka was an equally obsessed stalker like Ringo has turned into.

It almost sounds like Momoka was some kind of oracle.

This might explain why the Princess believes the diary is the infamous Penguin Drum. Tabuki's whole speech about how Momoka opened his eyes to totally different perspectives also leads me to the conclusion that he wasn't talking about love for her, but something else entirely.

As for the stuff going on with Kanba, his ex-girlfriends, and Masako (now revealed to also have a penguin), that was just plain creepy. I don't even know what to make of that plotline.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-20-2011, 08:15 AM
As for the stuff going on with Kanba, his ex-girlfriends, and Masako (now revealed to also have a penguin), that was just plain creepy. I don't even know what to make of that plotline.
Who is ALSO collaborating with (if not taking orders from) yet another unknown (or known) individual.

I wonder if the slingshot is really the Penguin Drum, and Masako was actually telling the truth. It actually has something to do with penguins.. even if it's just an insignia.

Kraco
Sat, 08-20-2011, 08:25 AM
I wonder if the slingshot is really the Penguin Drum.

I'd be somewhat disappointed if it was a slingshot. I'm not sure how metaphysical an object I'm awaiting after all these weird eps, but surely something more than a memory erasing techno edition of an archaic weapon.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 08-26-2011, 11:56 AM
gg - Episode 07 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=240141)

Kraco
Fri, 08-26-2011, 01:44 PM
The penguins are bloody brilliant.

This is no doubt among the elite series this season.

Ryllharu
Fri, 08-26-2011, 07:00 PM
This series is so insanely weird, and hilarious at the same time. The frog part really got to me. I had to watch it twice because I was laughing too hard the first time.

At least we found out what Ringo's "Project M" is, now only if we can find out what Masako's "Project M" is...

Kraco
Fri, 09-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Episode 8 - gg (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=242376)

- - - - - - -

Ouch. Shouma will soon need his own alien penguin hat. Although it was a high time something changed, it was still a bit sad to see Ringo's faith and determination crack. It's safe to say her behavior has been pretty deeply on the insane side for a long time now, but in this series that's just normal.

Kanba got half of the book (at least I assume that was him). I wonder if that's any good. Though I'm actually more interested in seeing how badly Shouma got injured and what Ringo will do about it. If the diary was indeed telling two parallel stories about Tabuki + the actress and Ringo + Shouma, then either this accident or rather its consequences should be in it.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-04-2011, 08:54 AM
Kanba got half of the book (at least I assume that was him). I wonder if that's any good.

I'm not so sure it's him, since I can see some chest in this scene

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/7430/ggmawarupenguindrum088a.jpg (http://img820.imageshack.us/i/ggmawarupenguindrum088a.jpg/)

Kraco
Sun, 09-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Oh, a good catch. I assumed it was him since he told Shouma he would resort to dirtier means since Shouma has been doing nothing but wasting time with his friendly methods. Maybe it was the slingshot user, then.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-04-2011, 10:38 AM
I thought that too until I saw the breasts' outline, and then remembered that the two brothers hadn't met since they last got knocked out by Himari.

[Nipponsei] Mawaru Penguindrum ED Single - DEAR FUTURE [coaltar of the deepers].zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Mawaru%20Penguindrum%20ED%20Sing le%20-%20DEAR%20FUTURE%20%5Bcoaltar%20of%20the%20deepers %5D.zip.torrent)

Buffalobiian
Fri, 09-09-2011, 08:45 AM
gg - Episode 09 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=244032)

Kraco
Fri, 09-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Really swell to have an episode end with a huge cliffhanger and then run the next episode with irrelevant stuff until the last second when the director again deigns to remember how the previous ep ended and go back to it in the form of single short phone call. This isn't artistic writing, this is just bullshit! I didn't wait a week for this.

That aside, I didn't really feel like this ep revealed anything much of importance. It seems to be what Himari experienced prior to resurrecting wearing the alien hat in the hospital. They didn't even bother to tell why she left the school before Trible-H was formed. Did the parents die at that point?

Oh, well, this is that sort of show. It wouldn't be bad without the need to wait another week.

Ryllharu
Sat, 09-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Really swell to have an episode end with a huge cliffhanger and then run the next episode with irrelevant stuff until the last second when the director again deigns to remember how the previous ep ended and go back to it in the form of single short phone call. This isn't artistic writing, this is just bullshit! I didn't wait a week for this.
I have to disagree a bit here. Himari has been neglected since nearly the beginning. She really needed an episode of development. I like the way they tied it back in. While I'm still very much interested in Sho's fate and Ringo's ultimate reaction to her new partner in crime sacrificing himself for her, you'd have to wonder what Himari does at home all day other than work out and knit. She can't let her brothers sacrifice everything for her sake all the time. She's a very important character, despite recent events given the impression that the only main characters are the younger of two brothers and a psychotically delusional stalker.

That aside, I didn't really feel like this ep revealed anything much of importance. It seems to be what Himari experienced prior to resurrecting wearing the alien hat in the hospital. They didn't even bother to tell why she left the school before Trible-H was formed. Did the parents die at that point?I also wouldn't say it failed to reveal anything. I also can no longer say the reason she was miraculously saved from her illness be the simply random chance of buying her that ridiculous penguin hat.

Now I can't help but wonder how much of The Princess of the Crystal is really Himari. She was best friends with a pair that eventually became very popular idols. I knew from the beginning of their flashback that the two would turn out to be the same idols used in chibi form for the train mottos. Perhaps the Princess of the Crystal isn't some external supernatural being, but is merely another variety of Himari. Her clothing is idol-like, her intro is over the top like some giant concert, and she does choreographed moves as she descends to harass and insult Kanba and Shouma.

When the 'librarian' put on her "veil" she remained very Himari-like, not the proud and rude personality we've gotten used to seeing. At the same time, she wasn't as passive as Himari usually is. To me, it is starting to feel like the Princess of the Crystal is the embodiment of who Himari wants to be. Loaded to the brim with the confidence she didn't have in the past, showy, and an idol. The incident with the koi may also explain some of the "Survival Strategy!" dialogue. It's certainly in no way as simple as, "they're both the same person." Something supernatural and crazy is definitely going on, but it has become more difficult to say that the two are entirely separate individuals now that we know Himari's past and her younger dreams and ambitions.

They never said who threw the eraser, but the two girls looked sad, not angry. We know that Himari's health declined very rapidly and it has been that way a long time, so that would probably explain why she didn't meet up with them again.

Kraco
Sat, 09-10-2011, 10:17 AM
A good theory about Himari, and you are right that it was long overdue that she needed some development of her own besides being cute and the obsession of the brothers. However, as long as the supernatural aspects of this show aren't shed any light on, I'm not sure if the dual personality of Himari/Princess can be explained to any significant extent, with the show being so concentrated on the goofy characters and less on the background story. I wouldn't even be surprised if we never learned anything. This is that sort of story.

Well, having calmed down I do agree this episode had it uses, but I was really looking forward to seeing if Ringo's opinion of Shouma changes at all after he sacrificed himself to save her life.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 09-10-2011, 11:25 AM
I've got a mixed view on Himari's attitude when she was younger. Was she simply a young girl who, in the heat of the moment to achieve a dream with her friends neglected the feelings of her mother, or did it stem from a deeper, darker desire?

The outline of the "soul mate" towards the end looked the most like Sho, but it can be Tabuki too I suppose. There's certainly an age difference between them judging by the height.

Notice that Himari's penguin already has the number 3 on its back, but Kanba was shown giving the penguins numbers back in the earlier episodes. Don't think it was specifically mentioned whether he only did it to 1 and 2.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 09-16-2011, 09:28 AM
gg - Episode 10 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=245747)

Kraco
Fri, 09-16-2011, 09:33 AM
I overestimated Kanba. He was helplessly dancing to the enemy's tune from the beginning till the end in this episode, and he made it even worse by imagining he was in control at some point. I never expected anything from Shouma (except ending up with Ringo), so his role was fitting. Ringo seemingly having lost much of her vigor and dedication is somewhat sad to watch.

Ryllharu
Fri, 09-16-2011, 02:59 PM
I felt that Ringo had finally come to her senses. Her psychotic vigor is reduced, but her dedication hasn't suffered at all, only changed targets. She has been maddeningly attached to the diary this whole time. She wouldn't even let Shouma touch it, much less borrow it for even a single night. Still under the shock of him sacrificing his body for her safety, there was no way Ringo was going to allow him to get hurt again because of her.

She threw aside the other half of the diary (her absolute most prized possession and one of the last keepsakes of her late sister) without hesitation in order to save Shouma.

I do not want to think that it was out of guilt either. Shouma has been her ever present companion for the last few weeks, assisting on all of her batshit schemes (like getting roasted so a frog could lay eggs on his back). He respected her wishes and requested the diary time and time again, unlike what we know Kanba or anyone else would have done (simply steal it). Ringo was legitimately concerned about his safety this time.

As for everything else in this episode...wtf did I just watch? If all those things were gifts that Masako tried to give to Kanba, she might have been on par with Ringo in terms of being a psycho-stalker. The elaborate lunch boxes was fine. But a layer cake with wedding figures on it? A sweater with "Kamba" knitted into it? You'd figure someone obsessed with someone enough would at least know how to spell his/her name.

And let us not forgot Penguin #1 (Kanba's) using a temperature probe or whatever it was shoved all the way up nurse's skirts, and fishing for panties.
edit: I did like that the aftermath of #2 eating a thermometer was puking up mercury.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 09-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Kamba is not necessarily spelled wrong. Kanba is a literal transliteration of the hiragana, and Kamba is the correct pronunciation. "N" before any "B" character in Japanese is usually pronounced as "M."

Since we convert Japanese to English alphabet based on sound (because they have no other real common base), I think both are acceptable, much like Ganbatte vs Gambatte.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 09-19-2011, 04:08 AM
That boy with another penguin hat.. was in Himari's flashback/dream replacing the boy and his family who went "Mama, penguins!". I don't know what to think of that, especially when I thought that the new Kanba-obsessed girl was the idol who got dumped by him.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 09-23-2011, 03:46 AM
This show is 24 episodes.

SEIZON SENRYAKU!!!!!!!!!!!

Ryllharu
Fri, 09-23-2011, 04:32 AM
You just made my day shinta.

For everyone's information: Regarding subs for episode 11, gg is currently re-encoding after being given a better raw.

Kraco
Fri, 09-23-2011, 06:46 AM
No, they aren't. They finished encoding long ago:

Episode 11v2 - gg (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=247497)

- - - - - - -

So, what is it that happened 16 years ago that set in motion this whole race now, 16 years later? Also, when exactly did Momoka die? This episode made it sound like she died those 16 years ago and Ringo was born to take her place, as well as Shouma and Kanba in some manner. Could they have that kind of age difference? That would make the teacher an old geezer as well, right? I must have misunderstood something from this episode.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-25-2011, 08:33 AM
Yeah, I could never quite understand how the teacher stayed almost exactly the same these last 16 years... Given how Shoma didn't seem to say those words just to lift the blame off Ringo's back, it almost sounds like Ringo's sister saved Shoma's mum or something so Kanba/Shoma could be born...

Buffalobiian
Fri, 09-30-2011, 12:44 AM
gg - Episode 12 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=249198)

-----------------------

Mary's an analogy for Kanba's parents? What's the tree?

Kraco
Sat, 10-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Yeah, what's the tree? Terrorism to support environment protection, if the Antarctica photo was of any indication. Although probably not because striking subways would be counter-productive... Dunno. This is too weird to try to guess it with this little information. Maybe they didn't even know themselves what they were exactly trying to achieve...

Ryllharu
Sat, 10-01-2011, 06:51 PM
I have no idea what just happened.

If Himari/Princess are gone for the rest of the series, that will be a major downer.

Still, I found it to be a rather tenuous connection that Shouma's parents led to the death of Momoka. They may have initiated the attack that led to her death, but it really didn't make any sense why they would do it, much less wait until the son was born. It all seems rather arbitrary.

The only thing I was able to take away from this episode is that the bunnies (and their pink-haired master) are evil.

Ryllharu
Sat, 10-15-2011, 05:42 AM
Fabulous Max!

[gg]​ Mawaru​ Penguindrum -​14 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=252609)

----------------------

Poor Ringo. Not only has she now been rejected by both of the men she loved, she's about to get Yuri-yuri raped. I felt pretty bad for her when Shouma drove her off. Definitely tugged on the heartstrings. She genuinely cares about his family, even after she found out about their parents and what they did to her family. She tried to recover their relationship by appeal, but alas, it ended in orz. It is kind of funny that after all this time trying to become Momoka to steal Tabuki from Yuri, now Yuri has been the one completely enraptured by Momoka. Now it makes sense that Yuri would want to marry Tabuki. He is her avenue to Ringo, and therefore (in her mind) Momoka.

It's quite confusing with all of the shifting alliances. Masako wants Kanba, but she is no longer opposed to him. At first it seemed very strange that she would use her brainbuster ping-pong balls to keep the mafia off his back. But then she offered her own wealth, which would further tie him to her. Only when he rejected her (again) and then foiled her attack, where does she stand now?

Then there's Himari. She seems to be have the same conflict with her idol friends that Shouma has with Ringo. When she said that, 'no one would want her hand-made scarves,' did she mean the same problem that Shouma was complaining about, that everyone treats the three of them as pariahs? Or was it simpler, recalling the reaction everyone had when she left school? Now that I think about it, are those two things related? Perhaps Himari didn't leave the school from her illness, but from her parents' identity as the leaders being discovered. That would explain the faces on her friends. They were equally torn. Now I really want to see a reunion between the two of them and Himari, whatever the outcome.

It's kind of creepy that the doctor is not only attempting, but somewhat succeeding at seducing her. Who knows what is really in those vials.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 10-15-2011, 05:46 AM
Definitely Fabulous Max.

I just hope that Ringo is saved somehow.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-15-2011, 09:23 AM
Definitely Fabulous Max.

I just hope that Ringo is saved somehow.

I dunno, lol. The saving scenes happen so often in anime, I kind of want to see how they'll play it out of Ringo does in fact get "messed up". I'll still want a Shouma x Ringo shipping by the end, but having a few more "hiccups" on the way would keep it entertaining - especially when we only just had the break-up today.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 10-15-2011, 10:17 AM
I actually thought that way too, but when I tried to play out the possible raped Ringo x Shouma endings, I reconsidered.

Kraco
Sun, 10-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Ringo (Momoka) must be a helluva woman for Yuri to be ready to ruin her career for her body... Makes Shouma in his emo guilt syndrome look even more foolish for pushing her away. While it could be academically interesting plot wise to see the repercussions of Ringo getting raped, I still don't want to see it. Shouma is broken as it is, so what good would a pair of two broken people do?

This show is pretty hard to predict.

Sapphire
Tue, 10-18-2011, 01:00 PM
Has anyone seen the host of TL notes (http://8thsinfansubs.wordpress.com/category/anime/mawaru-penguindrum/page/2/) that go with this show?

Ryllharu
Sat, 10-22-2011, 08:28 AM
I have met God, and...she is incredibly nice.

[gg] Mawaru Penguindrum - 15 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=254448)

-----------------------

No words can describe what horrible things Yuri's father said to her. I can see how he would become like that given how obsessed he was with his profession, but that's just horribly disturbing. I have a lot more respect for Yuri after this episode. She genuinely seems to want the diary for pure reasons. Momoka saved her life, and now Yuri wants to return the favor by exchanging herself to bring her back. She was also clever enough to foil Masako.

Did Momoka replace the Tower of...David with Tokyo Tower? She's...almost unbelievably powerful. I can see why everyone wants her diary now, it certainly seems to be the purported penguindrum. The price is heavy, and only Momoka seemed to be able to wield it properly. It makes me wonder now what effect Ringo accomplished while trying to match those written fates. Granted, most of them backfired and were fulfilled with who she actually loves now, so maybe there's a little lingering power...if a bit misdirected.

As for Shouma's "heroic" rescue, that's why I love this show. Complete failure, KO'd on a juice bottle. It worked, and maybe Ringo will never learn the truth. She can just assume he saved her, which in a way he did. Given the fact that he was at the same inn, on the same night, with his sufficiently perverted eavesdropping friend, in the adjacent room, and her phone was miraculously answerable...I'd say the two of them are fated to be together.

I'm glad for Himari, if the doctor in fact told Double-H that they were from Himari, and not something else. I'm not sure where to put him. Is he a villain? Is he good (but trying to seduce Himari to get at the Princess)? I can't trust him given the story of the rabbits, but so far, he's been doing good deeds while making Kanba suffer, but Kanba has always been glad to suffer when it is for his sister.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Wait, so by changing fates, Momoka's creating parallel universes and jumping through them.. How the hell does Yuri remember it?

But by far the most confusing thing is, Momoka supposedly died in the subway accident. She did not at all look injured prior to the accident.

As for Shouma's "heroic" rescue, that's why I love this show. Complete failure, KO'd on a juice bottle. It worked, and maybe Ringo will never learn the truth. She can just assume he saved her, which in a way he did. Given the fact that he was at the same inn, on the same night, with his sufficiently perverted eavesdropping friend, in the adjacent room, and her phone was miraculously answerable...I'd say the two of them are fated to be together.

Yeah, the KO was pretty damn funny. I was more impressed with the "superwomen fight" though. Simply a great display of brain and body. :3

Kraco
Sat, 10-22-2011, 10:00 AM
Quite an episode indeed. It left a few confusing details, though, like if Yuri was indeed going to rape Ringo or if it was an utterly too elaborate plot to achieve something. I very much doubt she could have predicted Shouma was in the next room - unless the diary half said so - so it's a stretch in my opinion she would have done all that to get those two together. However, if her objective is to bring Momoka back, there's no point in raping Ringo. Very strange.

But anyway, like Ryll said, Yuri is much more understandable now.

I hope things will now work between Shouma and Ringo. That alone would make me happy.

Ryllharu
Sat, 10-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Quite an episode indeed. It left a few confusing details, though, like if Yuri was indeed going to rape Ringo or if it was an utterly too elaborate plot to achieve something. I very much doubt she could have predicted Shouma was in the next room - unless the diary half said so - so it's a stretch in my opinion she would have done all that to get those two together. However, if her objective is to bring Momoka back, there's no point in raping Ringo. Very strange.I think the attack allowed to achieve her goal.

I'm pretty sure she fully intended to rape Ringo believing that it would turn her into Momoka, just like Ringo had always been raving about. But Masako showed up trying to get the other half of the diary. It seemed that Yuri fully expected to be attacked by someone, as she had put the real half in the safe and prepared a fake.

Now Yuri knows what the person with the other half looks like and she'll be able to go get it. She may no longer need Ringo-turned-Momoka. Now she can reassemble the diary and bring back the real one.

Kraco
Sat, 10-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Yeah, it's indeed true that now she has a solid starting point from where to begin the hunt for the remaining half. But just for that she hardly needed all the theater of raping Ringo, which is what I found confusing in this all, now that we found out what her ultimate goal and intended method is. I suppose we can derive from this that her love for Momoka is somewhat twisted and psychotic. But once again, considering her background and what kind of an impression of love it must have left her with, why not.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 10-28-2011, 08:43 AM
gg episode 16 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=255933)

This sums up my feelings towards the grandfather.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g310/shinta617/dreadful.jpg

Kraco
Fri, 10-28-2011, 09:33 AM
An interesting episode with some funny details. Like the stereotypical English exclamations by the grandfather's foreign tagalong everytime the grandfather died. I have heard such in some other show in the past, but I can't anymore remember which. Another was the kid Kanba having the same male VA still present. You see this very frequently with female characters with the same VA trying to pull off the child's voice, but when you do it with a male, it can't be anything but a joke.

I was afraid we would get no update on Ringo and Shouma, but fortunately there was that little clip. Looks like Shouma still wants to push her away, but luckily Ringo seems to have regained her spirit and will now utilise her stalker skills to win him over.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 10-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Shouma is being a douche. Ringo openly confesses and he rejects her because of a stupid guilt issue that is not even remotely his fault? I expected better of him. I am still rooting for Ringo to stalk him into shape though.

Kraco
Fri, 10-28-2011, 10:37 AM
You'd need lots of self-confidence in his position, and obviously he possesses little. It's not only a guilt issue, either. Anybody who associates too deeply with them, risks getting marked for associating with the terrorist family. I think Shouma wants to keep Ringo away from them partially for that reason as well. He wouldn't say anything as long as Ringo was just Himari's friend because it was for the poor sister's benefit, but when it switched to his own benefit, he wouldn't allow it anymore. It's the old syndrome of feeling he's not good enough and that Ringo deserves better.

Certainly not my favourite theme in drama, but quite understandable. Fortunately you could hardly find a better solution than a stalker girl who wouldn't give up.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-28-2011, 09:45 PM
Kanba wasn't from a rich family. I don't see how he could have had any association with Masako at all when they were little.

I haven't liked a Survival Strategy like I liked this one in a good while now. :D

shinta|hikari
Fri, 10-28-2011, 09:53 PM
The part where she used a notepad and mouthed "Seizon Senryaku" to the spying maid was priceless.

Kraco
Sat, 10-29-2011, 02:44 AM
Kanba wasn't from a rich family. I don't see how he could have had any association with Masako at all when they were little.

He was a real player already back then. No girl was outside of his reach.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-04-2011, 08:06 AM
gg - Episode 17 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=257691)

Kraco
Sat, 11-05-2011, 03:32 AM
It must be true what they say about psychopaths: They might outwardly appear like the everyday jovial neighbours. I wasn't expecting the teacher to harbour vengeance, but on the other hand, his attitude always seemed far more given up than Yuri's. So, it makes sense he would rather do something more commonplace, like avenge Momoka, than seek mystical diaries to bring her back to life. His speech to Yuri must have been to either keep her out of trouble or to keep her out of his way. Though it's not like we'd have already seen what exactly he is planning, and having Ringo present makes it even more strange considering she's Momoka's sister. It would be odd if he purposefully hurt her while doing something for Momoka (in his own opinion).

The penguins acquired a stable companion in the form of an octopus?

Ryllharu
Sat, 11-05-2011, 07:24 AM
From his speech, I'm almost wondering if Tabuki isn't going to take the direct route, but take the much more gut-wrenching route. Why kill a Takakura sibling, when you could increase their suffering countless times more? I mean that he will try to kill Ringo in front of Himari and tell her that it was the result of anyone getting involved with them. Far more cruel, especially since Tabuki and Yuri know that Ringo loves Shouma now, which must anger them him even more. It seemed odd the way he was addressing Ringo about what he said before. It could go either way with the tone he used, but it felt more like the last ominous words he would say to Ringo.

The family are already pariahs, and they do tend to keep to themselves and have next to no friends (well, Shouma does have a few). But Himari has thus far been insulated from all the treatment they face. Kanba and Shouma make sure of that.

Traumatizing Himari could take away the only light the Takakura family still has.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-11-2011, 04:43 AM
I has occurred to me that this show is mostly about people with screwed up care-takers.

gg - Episode 18 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=259399)

----------------

^ I actually made that comment before watching that episode, while thinking that it's not 100% true since Tabuki was an exception. Turns out.. he wasn't. xD

Besides the fact that I'm baffled at how it's physically possible for Tabuki to have rescued Himari, or how exactly was Kanba preventing Himari from falling, brilliant episode.

Kraco
Mon, 11-14-2011, 02:05 PM
I guess Kanba was holding the last cable Tabuki released, thus supporting the combined weight of Himari, the... whatever it was she was in, and the cables. It's a mystery how Tabuki rescued her, but it's possible he was actually prepared to do that in case Kanba would have given up (called his dad) nearing the end and the dodgy cable contraption wouldn't have behaved. But who knows. I hope this will do something good to Shouma and Ringo's relationship, if nothing else.

But yeah, this is really a grand collection of miserable childhoods.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-18-2011, 02:03 AM
gg - Episode 19 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=260955)

Ryllharu
Sat, 11-19-2011, 07:30 AM
Hmm, I can't say I saw that one coming. Now I'm really confused. Shouma and Ringo are the obvious pair, but Himari recognizes Shouma as her soulmate and he was the one who brought her into the family. Yet Kanba is the one in love with her, and now that Masako has revealed that Himari isn't blood related, Kanba's relationship isn't incest anymore. Shouma doesn't consider Himari romantically, he's just very protective of her, like one would be to a little sister. So what Himari wants all along is...

0_o

And Himari is still dying.

I have no idea where this will be going in the next few episodes.

Kraco
Sat, 11-19-2011, 10:10 AM
That indeed summed up very nicely the level of confusion this episode left behind. What does Shouma think about Ringo, though? Obviously he's not as Himari obsessed as Kanba, but it has been mainly Ringo who has shown interest in a relationship. Shouma was enough of a man to try to save Ringo back then but otherwise he's still quite cold. And now Himari could turn even colder than Shouma. She was already telling the magician doctor she would want to return to the three of them again, kicking Ringo out. As a result from regaining her memories she might view Ringo harmful not only passively but actively.

I have no idea how this is going to end. An everybody dies ending wouldn't surprise me anymore, not that I'd be expecting such.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 11-21-2011, 06:11 AM
The only person to have rescued anybody from the Child Broiler was the late Momoka. So Shouma has the power to change fat as well?

wtf is going on...

-You have the Dr and the Princess with their "game"
-The momoka-obsessed pair trying to bring her back
-Masako trying to bring back her brother and save Kanba at the same time
-Himari regaining her memories.. (whether she's still dying is yet to be confirmed)

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-25-2011, 01:16 AM
gg - Episode 20 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=262618)

-----------------------------

Mindrape..

So basically the Child Broiler that I thought was completely conceptual was actually a real place..

Masako mentioned "our" father to Kanba.. Not sure whether "our" referred to her's and her blond brother's, or whether it included Kanba..

And if Kanba's there listening to their speeches.. it shouldn't have been that surprising to hear their parent's acts on television.. Somewhere along the line it sounded like the entire group of three had a memory wipe. Momoka's doing?

Ryllharu
Sat, 11-26-2011, 07:35 AM
And if Kanba's there listening to their speeches.. it shouldn't have been that surprising to hear their parent's acts on television.. Somewhere along the line it sounded like the entire group of three had a memory wipe. Momoka's doing?Kanba's known all along. The only thing that he was shocked about when the three of them were picked up by the government was that their family got found out. The other two (Shouma and Himari) learned what their parents had been up to this whole time.

So from what the doctor was discussing with Himari...she's contemplating challenging Ringo for Shouma? She's been "running away" all this time, and now she's thinking about chasing (while Shouma runs away?).

This series...[Ryllharu is lost for words].

Kraco
Sat, 11-26-2011, 08:23 AM
I certainly am not looking forward to Himari chasing Shouma. I believe Shouma considers her a sister, so I don't think it would even work (unlike with Kanba).

I'm still not sure what the Child Broiler is. This ep strongly suggested it's at least a physical place, but the other details beg to be taken metaphorically. Maybe it's some giant orphanage that will never produce noteworthy citizens?

shinta|hikari
Sat, 11-26-2011, 12:10 PM
Or maybe it is too graphic to be shown without caricature conversion.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-02-2011, 11:10 AM
gg - Episode 21 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=264392)

Kraco
Fri, 12-02-2011, 02:46 PM
This wandered really deep into the blue zone of melancholy with the dead parents (and their ghosts), the family breaking, and Shouma browsing the album, looking quite given up. A very strong atmosphere all in all. The only thing bothering me was the journalist (or whatever he was, if he was anything considering the clock and everything) that appeared out of nowhere. Whether he was a traitor, a spy, or a man doomed to die for Kanba's (the remnant's) sake, his existence had no prior preparations made - at least that I can remember.

It somehow feels like Shouma would just sit alone at home and wither away, lost in memories, if it was up to him. I wonder if Ringo is going to save him.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 12-02-2011, 07:07 PM
I'm glad to see Himari giving up on Shouma and going to save Kanba. I guess all the sacrifices Kanba has made were not in vain.

Kraco
Sat, 12-03-2011, 03:28 AM
I'm glad to see Himari giving up on Shouma and going to save Kanba. I guess all the sacrifices Kanba has made were not in vain.

She was similarly saved in the past. I don't think she particularly gave up on Shouma, though; Kanba's problem is simply far more acute. Shouma's problem is... something he must figure out by himself above all. Unlike Kanba and Himari, Shouma can only stare into the past. Kanba and Himari are looking forward into the future, even if the circumstances forced Kanba to make the wrong choices and Himari's future prospects are extremely poor.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 12-03-2011, 04:29 AM
Himari bid farewell to her fated person. She gave up on him, knowing it is futile.

Kraco
Sat, 12-03-2011, 05:35 AM
Hmm... So, you interpreted it so that she wouldn't anymore care even if Shouma hanged himself in the bedroom?

She certainly did give up on him on some level, most likely romantic level or trying to maintain the fake family no matter what, but otherwise I can't think it would have been so final. But who knows, all the characters in this show seem to be broken in one way or another.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-03-2011, 08:00 AM
Hmm.. no (legal) romantic relationship between Kanba and Masako? That's a bit of a shame. The OP suddenly makes sense now, with each of the three penguins standing separately, but the black one siding much closer with #1.

And then we've got the bandaid on #1 as well..

The doctor's been very good about playing with words to bend their meaning yet remain truthful - but did he at any point promise that the medication would save Himari? If he did.. that's a pretty big breach there.

I can't remember the surnames of everybody, but is it possible for our pink haired friend to be Kanba's biological father?

I wouldn't say I totally dislike the new direction of the show, but we've all but completely diverged from our original goal of obtaining the Penguin Drum now. Medicine aside, wasn't that supposed to be the all-powerful cure for Himari? This show took a pretty hard left around the middle and turned itself from a survival show to one about people with dead/shitty parents/caretakers.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 12-03-2011, 08:01 AM
I think she gave up on him romantically, not in any other way.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-03-2011, 08:05 AM
I think she gave up on him romantically, not in any other way.

I could never see (as in, identify points that) Himari was ever gunning for Shouma in a romantic way. Not since their parents were wanted criminals anyway.

There was the scene with Ringo washing dishes with Shouma, but her wish suggested she disliked Ringo for breaking the family dynamic overall rather than stealing Shouma from her.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 12-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Calling him her fated person is not enough proof?

Kraco
Sat, 12-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Yeah, it earlier looked like she would have just wanted to maintain the family of three, but after it was revealed how Shouma saved her and more, it seemed evident her feelings ran deeper - though I doubt Shouma's did. Fated persons and soulmates, when talking about the opposite sex, sound romantic enough by any reckoning.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Only the term sounded romantic. If she had never used the word, nothing else would have really indicated IMO.

Besides calling him her soulmate, Himari's done nothing (that isn't a flashback) to indicate that she has feelings for Shouma that transcends those for Kanba.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 12-03-2011, 12:05 PM
I think that was the point. Himari's feelings for Kanba grew a lot more while Shouma has been actively avoiding any romantic relationship with Himari because of his desire to be siblings.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-03-2011, 12:30 PM
I think that was the point. Himari's feelings for Kanba grew a lot more while Shouma has been actively avoiding any romantic relationship with Himari because of his desire to be siblings.

And until this episode, Kanba was also nothing more than a brother. That was the baseline for my comparison. They weren't equally considered as romantic interests. They were siblings... then BOOM, we're told they're actually a lot more.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 12-03-2011, 01:10 PM
That's because Himari forgot all about it. Naturally, she would not act like she has any romantic feelings because technically she lost them along with the memories.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Ah.. now that brings me to another part. The big "wtf memory loss" that everybody more or less had.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 12-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Only Himari had memory loss. Kanba and Shouma both remembered.

Kraco
Sat, 12-03-2011, 01:58 PM
I think Himari is a bit held back by the knowledge of her limited days as well. If you know you are going to die very soon, is it worth it to try to romance someone anymore? Especially if it also means it would risk losing what she already had. Now she has also the other goal of saving Kanba. It might feel a lot more worthy an objective than trying to get a boyfriend and then die the next day. Between those two choices, I think anybody decent would choose saving Kanba.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Only Himari had memory loss. Kanba and Shouma both remembered.

Kanba regained his memories when Masako led him through that maze/trail. I'm not 100% sure about Shouma right now, but I was under the impression that he remembered partway through as well.

Ryllharu
Sun, 12-04-2011, 11:55 AM
I wouldn't say I totally dislike the new direction of the show, but we've all but completely diverged from our original goal of obtaining the Penguin Drum now. Medicine aside, wasn't that supposed to be the all-powerful cure for Himari? This show took a pretty hard left around the middle and turned itself from a survival show to one about people with dead/shitty parents/caretakers.They haven't forgotten about it, not completely. It's the plotline with Yuri and Tabuki. We know what the Penguindrum does now. It is the means by which Momoka warped reality, and Yuri (and maybe Tabuki as well, depending on which of them got stabbed), intend to use it again to bring her back.

It would have allowed one of the two "brothers" to sacrifice a part of their own life for Himari's, the similar way that Yuri intends to wipe out her own existence to bring Momoka back. Saving scores of lives at the same time is what led to Momoka's death, and Momoka is a god-like existence, so the weight must be similar. Perhaps saving one life isn't nearly so pricey (or two lives, Mario too).

I guess the real question is whether or not we'll see the Princess again.

If Himari gets saved at the end of this series, it's going to be because of a deus ex machina, something like Momoka's return.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-09-2011, 04:11 AM
gg - Episode 22 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=266474)

-------------------------

That grandpa must have had really high expectations, because all the kin of the Natsume clan are fucking boss. It would dearly suck for both women in Kanba's life to perish like that. :(

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-16-2011, 11:21 AM
gg - Episode 23 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=268827)

Ryllharu
Sat, 12-17-2011, 07:28 AM
What a frustrating cliffhanger!

At least we finally found out the true identity of the Princess. She was half of Momoka all along. The playful and arrogant half? I think someone (not me) guessed it a while back.

Poor Ringo, tries so hard, but everyone is against her. Hopefully she will get a happy ending despite it all.

It did leave a lingering question. If Kanba shot Shouma with one of Masako's paintballs, and he didn't forget Himari, what did Shouma forget?

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-17-2011, 07:45 AM
It did leave a lingering question. If Kanba shot Shouma with one of Masako's paintballs, and he didn't forget Himari, what did Shouma forget?

We can't be sure it was a Forget ball, or a Remember ball. Red vs Blue.

It would seem strange for Shouma to awaken after "forgetting" something.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 12-22-2011, 11:28 PM
gg - episode 24 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=270662)

Ryllharu
Fri, 12-23-2011, 04:49 AM
That last episode was...bizarre to say the least.

Can't say I'm thrilled about the way it turned out, but I accept it.

Good series from start to finish. Even if the visual metaphors got to the point where we couldn't even figure out what they were supposed to be (exactly what was happening at the child broiler, the boxes).

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Yeah.. I'm sure I'm not even close to understanding this show 100%.

----------------------------
Takakura's backstory

-Kanba was part of Masako's family. He followed his biological father into the terrorist organisation so his other siblings could live their rich life. Upon the death of his father, Kanba was accepted into the Takakura family.
-Shouma is the only blood-born of the Takakuras. He invited Himari into their family.
-Himari lived near the Takakura's meeting place. Her parents never took care of her. The Takakuras ended up taking her in.

Momoka & Co.'s backstory

-Momoka's been helping people with her spells.
-Yuri and the teacher were both saved by her.
-Momoka ran into Sanetoshi and was turned into 2 hats

Anime events
-Himari was dead from illness, but Momoka revived her and asked the Takakuras to obtain the Penguindrum.
-The Takakuras ran into various people trying to do so.
-Everybody believed the Penguindrum was Momoka's diary.
-Ringo wanted the diary to become Momoka
-Yuri wanted the diary to revive Momoka
-Masako wanted the diary to revive her brother.

Towards the end:
-Yuri no longer needed the diary because she found a new purpose.. and that reviving Momoka would be pointless
-Tabuki gave up on revenge against the Takakuras after finding the corpses
-Masako became more fixated with saving Kanba than saving her brother, ultimately got hurt and had the diary stolen/burnt.
-Kanba decided that helping Satenoshi was the only way to save Himari and prepared another terrorist attack
-Shouma wants to save Kanba and meets him on the train
-Ringo uses the diary to change fate instead of trying to be Momoka

What happened this episode:
-Ringo activated the spell
-Kanba died to transfer Himari to her new fate
-Shouma took the punishment for Ringo
-Kanba and Shouma were wiped from existence and everybody's memory. They are seemingly reincarnated
-Momoka is revived and leaves.

The confusing part:

-Why did Kanba have to die if Ringo was using the spell?
-What's with the two boxes locking Kanba and Shouma.. and the "penguindrum apple"? There has been no prior mention that these two were stuck in some life-threatening situation before.
-The apple can help them survive a little longer, but how did they get out?
-If Shouma returns his half of the Penguindrum to Kanba, how come Kanba still died? What's the point of that?
- What was that strange part in the aquarium where Himari goes into some hidden archive and meets Sanetoshi?

Ryllharu
Fri, 12-23-2011, 09:51 PM
What happened this episode:
-Momoka is revived and leaves.

The confusing part:

-Why did Kanba have to die if Ringo was using the spell?
-What's with the two boxes locking Kanba and Shouma.. and the "penguindrum apple"? There has been no prior mention that these two were stuck in some life-threatening situation before.
-The apple can help them survive a little longer, but how did they get out?
-If Shouma returns his half of the Penguindrum to Kanba, how come Kanba still died? What's the point of that?
- What was that strange part in the aquarium where Himari goes into some hidden archive and meets Sanetoshi?
Momoka did not get revived. Sanetoshi didn't get revived. He is still trapped in that world of his created in the library. His "haunt" so to speak. Momoka declared that neither of them would win, and that it was now impossible for Sanetoshi to win, so she was moving on. Probably to get reincarnated or whatever. Her goals were accomplished, and she is willing to let it go. Sanetoshi still isn't, but now he will lack the vessel to project his will to and tempt as he did with Kanba. It closes with Sanetoshi stating that another chance for him will come, but Momoka confidently doubting that. She leaves notably using, "sayonara" (and all the finality that word implies).

Ringo was converting all the dolls from bombs to toys to foil Sanetoshi's plans, hence his reaction. Shouma took the price of that, and gave his half of the apple. Kanba used his half of the apple plus Shouma's to revive Himari fully.

No idea what the boxes were, how they got out, or how the apple saved them from that trapped fate. That's one of those confusing metaphors that never got explained.

That was Himari entering Sanetoshi's "space." Recall that he lured her in as Himari dressed as the Princess of the Crystal (later determined to be Momoka), not the Princess herself. Just part of the setup. As for why Himari was searching for that oddly titled book? My guess is the writer was smoking crack.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Momoka did not get revived. Sanetoshi didn't get revived. He is still trapped in that world of his created in the library. His "haunt" so to speak. Momoka declared that neither of them would win, and that it was now impossible for Sanetoshi to win, so she was moving on. Probably to get reincarnated or whatever. Her goals were accomplished, and she is willing to let it go. Sanetoshi still isn't, but now he will lack the vessel to project his will to and tempt as he did with Kanba. It closes with Sanetoshi stating that another chance for him will come, but Momoka confidently doubting that. She leaves notably using, "sayonara" (and all the finality that word implies)

That makes sense. Yeah.. I didn't mean that Momoka was "revived" as in living, but put back together so to speak so that she can still appear in some form. Wrong choice of words on my part.

Now that the "dual sacrifice" part is out of my head, the biggest part is where on earth did the Penguindrum apple come from??.

In the end, that's what they've been searching for for 24 episodes. Our final answer now is "you've always had it". >_>

Kraco
Wed, 01-11-2012, 08:37 AM
I finally finished this show. A baffling last episode. It was quite a stylish ending, even though I was really looking forward to Shouma and Ringo getting each other. But this kind of unbitterly sad ending is also a favourite of mine. I have nothing against the classical story of men sacrificing themselves to save the women they love, either.

I reckon a penguindrum is just a name for any fate altering device. Thus it was the split apple for Kanba and Shouma, because it basically altered the fate from only one of them surviving to both surviving the cages (or just the apple appearing at all, but that feels less profound, unless it was a trade-off between dying or living but getting cursed). It's hardly as fantastic as Momoka's diary/spell, but on an emotional basis not any less significant.