PDA

View Full Version : Current season

Archangel
Fri, 07-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Airing shows in the current season should get their own subforum within the general section as to draw more attention to them.

OVAs would be excluded from this policy due to long in between release times and movies should also be able to hold such distinction up to a month after being subbed in english.

Kraco
Fri, 07-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Subforums lessen interest, not increase it, unfortunately. That's why nearing the end en fuego as well didn't host the thread for the latest episode, only archived the older ones. Bleach manga was thrown into a subforum because the other alternative would have been to remove the Bleach forums completely. Bleach is a dying title, after all.

Archangel
Fri, 07-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Only because you remove them from the front page, what i'm suggesting is something adjacent to the current general anime section

Kraco
Fri, 07-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Yeah, if it was made another whole forum, it might indeed concentrate attention to the current shows. But have you thought what that would mean to the General Anime itself, now devoid of the hotter topics? It would become little more than a graveyard with sporadic activity at best. I personally don't think that would be a good trade-off. As it is now, somebody occasionally bringing up an older thread for whatever reasons exposes it to people who never saw the show and might thus become interested in it. But if all they ever saw were the latest shows, that wouldn't happen.

Archangel
Fri, 07-15-2011, 02:07 PM
It would serve for archiving of previous threads, discussion on older but still ongoing series and for updates on new seasons or soundtrack releases

I'm suggesting it so that everyone can be aware of what's currently airing and by doing so reduce the probability of any series falling off the radar when people who might be interested in watching them aren't even aware of them

I don't see how this would do anything but increase discussion on the most recent series

Kraco
Fri, 07-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Yes, I'm not worried about the most recent series but the older ones, plus the few other threads residing in General Anime. In another thread you were complaining how you need to click thrice to get to your latest Bleach chapter now. What you are suggesting in this thread is that people should separately check two forums. They might only end up checking the current shows, thus reducing visits to General Anime. Who knows if visits to Current Shows would increase or not, but visits to General Anime would most assuredly drop.

I'd be all for this suggestion if we didn't have our draconian rules, that is, if General Anime was full of repeating or otherwise nonsensical threads and thus everything would disappear from the first page in no time. But as it is, I feel like the negative side effects would outweigh the positive factors.

Archangel
Fri, 07-15-2011, 02:36 PM
I occasionally try to liven up the general anime board with some topics other than series discussion but those never seem to fly too high and it is already mostly dead if not for currently airing show so all we'd be really doing is focusing on its strengths. If having it in the main page won't work then the subforum should be the archived series, not the current ones.

Kraco
Fri, 07-15-2011, 02:47 PM
If it's mostly dead, it's because only 10 people keep posting there regularly. Dividing their attention won't make the place any more lively, quite the contrary. We might still have one or two occasionally posting members who don't watch current shows. We would lose them.

Archangel
Fri, 07-15-2011, 03:28 PM
By focusing their attention you'd actually be making sure those people were watching and enjoying as many airing shows as possible, like i said ( and i'm sure many of us have experienced ) there is the occasional show that we might have enjoyed but goes under the cracks and is only discovered one or two seasons later

It's not a matter of having new members, i think that ship already sailed some time ago, but making the best of the ones we have in terms of discussion and activity

Munsu
Fri, 07-15-2011, 05:06 PM
With enabling the sub-forum link in the main page, it does open up more opportunities to play with. I don't think adding a sub-forum for "current season shows" is something worth exploring. I do think a good idea would be to create some sort of thread Indexing show discussion threads, and once a new show starts airing, make new post about it with the appropriate thread link, and then have a mod edit the OP post with the new show.

I do think though, with the sub-forum link being in the main page that there's an opening here to revive some sort of "Series en Fuego" child-forum, but with some modifications to the system.

In part it's why we gave Fairy Tail it's own forum, to explore if there's still some valid interest to create series specific forum discussions. So far, I think the result has been positive, but I'll have to wait and see if it's sustainable for the time being. Saddened that it seems like the fanart of the series is lacking, and it was something I was counting on to give the forum so volume discussion... was actually thinking of you and the Fairy Tail babes.

But "current season shows" sub-forum just doesn't seem like a good idea if the interest is increasing attention and discussion. I very much believe it'll have the opposite effect.

Archangel
Fri, 07-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Let that idea go, Series in Fuego was a complete train wreck

was actually thinking of you and the Fairy Tail babes.

Me? Wat?

I don't think both of you are really getting the idea, i'm not saying that the section will increase the number of people posting but that the people who already post might become more interest to check out everything that's airing in that one season and, should they choose to, watch and then comment on it.

Instead of bringing more in we use what we already have more effectively

Munsu
Fri, 07-15-2011, 05:37 PM
No, I understand you perfectly, but the type of segregation you're interested in will not in any way make more people interested in discussion a particular series of that season. This is a small community with quite the limited discussion, a new thread created in General Anime will stay in the first page for quite some time. So I don't think that the lack of series discussion in a particular series is out of some viewer being unaware that a particular series is new.

I just don't see what would make a "Current Season" sub-forum make anyone want to try a series that would have otherwise be mentioned in General Anime.

Archangel
Fri, 07-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Because often the series that aren't fluff and moe fall off the first page radar in a matter of 1 or 2 weeks and are left to die until i or a few others remember to post or discuss an episode

I mean the perfect solution would be to have a Marik-like bot update every thread whenever a new episode was released but simply having the series in the first page and thus not completely forgotten could and probably would motivate people to discuss its latest episode

Example: The Beelzebub manga thread, dead as fuck because nobody updates it with released chapters. If at the very least it was in plain sight that would be sure to motivate us to discuss recent events.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 07-15-2011, 06:34 PM
I think most of our members do watch the shows that you say get glossed over. They just don't comment on it because they think others don't watch it as well (i.e. Steins;Gate for a long time).

I personally would like less clicks to see all the relevant threads updated, so I vote keeping the system as is.

Ryllharu
Fri, 07-15-2011, 07:41 PM
If there is any validity to this idea, I would think it would lie in a compiled thread that links to the individual series threads. Like a locked sticky thread (no need for additional commentary) with each of the opening posts from the current season, and a link to the respective discussion threads.

Alternatively, you could leave it unlocked, but have it work in a similar manner to the Last Season's Top 3 thread (http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php/17392-Last-season-s-top-3), only substantially more moderated (segregating past seasons, deleting any and all commentary). It would be an information-only thread (replacing the typical torrent links with the forum thread). Leaving it open would let any user copy-paste their series thread initial posts.

Munsu
Fri, 07-15-2011, 08:00 PM
I would say that the onus is then on the people who are reading/watching it taking 2 minutes of their busy lives to comment on a series they're reading/watching.

I mean, when I take the time to read/watch something I make an effort to at least post a couple of lines in some thread in the hopes that someone else would also like to discuss it.

Why wait for some random person to bump a thread that we all know exists in the forum so that we finally get the motivation to write something on that series?

Though having a Marik-like poster does help, but all it takes is a few minutes to bump a thread you're interested in discussing with a few simple comments after you're done reading/watching an episode/chapter.

And that alone will give the attention to the series you're interested in discussing.

Main problem is not visibility of a thread in order to discuss it, but many members don't bother with a thread until they see someone new posted on it.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 07-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Because often the series that aren't fluff and moe fall off the first page radar in a matter of 1 or 2 weeks and are left to die until i or a few others remember to post or discuss an episode

I mean the perfect solution would be to have a Marik-like bot update every thread whenever a new episode was released but simply having the series in the first page and thus not completely forgotten could and probably would motivate people to discuss its latest episode

Example: The Beelzebub manga thread, dead as fuck because nobody updates it with released chapters. If at the very least it was in plain sight that would be sure to motivate us to discuss recent events.

You know, when you say that, the first thing that comes to mind is that you yourself don't post chapter/episode updates sometimes. >_>

That itself keeps bumping the thread. I don't know about you guys, but i check the "Today's Posts" after I've cleared my control panel whenever I visit, and that brings any updated threads to my attention. Then I just have to notice when a thread is in General Anime, followed by the "Created By XX on DDMMYYYY" to know if it's a new series.