PDA

View Full Version : Usagi Drop

Kraco
Thu, 07-07-2011, 01:33 PM
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/5026/usagidroppusshot.jpg

"Going home for his grandfather’s funeral, thirty-year-old bachelor Daikichi is floored to discover that the old man had an illegitimate child with a younger lover! The rest of his family is equally shocked and embarrassed by this surprise development, and not one of them wants anything to do with the silent little girl, Rin. In a fit of angry spontaneity, Daikichi decides to take her in himself! But will living with this overgrown teenager of man help Rin come out of her shell? And hang on, won’t this turn of events spell doom for Daikichi’s love life?!" -Yen Press

Genres: Daily Life, Josei, Manga, Comedy, Drama

Links: AniDB (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=8211), ANN (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=12398), Official (http://www.usagi-drop.tv/)

Episode 1 - HorribleSubs (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=226375)
Episode 1 - Doki (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/Doki_Usagi_Drop_-_01_1280x720_h264_AAC_B7BB064E.mkv.torrent)

- - - - - -

This was, no doubt, my most anticipated show this season. Ever since I started to read the jolly good manga a couple of years ago following Arcness's recommendation. Not that I'd have ever hoped this to get an anime, but anyway.

Following the manga source, this has just a bit out of ordinary character and background design and style, kind of like House of Five Leaves. It's quite refreshing after the usual contemporary designs in most shows, and it fits this one very nicely. Similarly the VA cast is different presenting novel names in the industry to voice the kids (the VAs being kids themselves). So, it's really no use to link to their names. The male lead is voiced by Hiroshi Tsuchida (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=17695) (demon blade Masamune of Soul Eater, John Titor of Steins;Gate).

The episode was pleasant and as a manga reader I had no problems with it. Rin didn't have too many lines in this first episode but for now I'm confident she'll be portrayed succesfully. I'm guaranteed to watch this one till the end. The manga has also finished, so an anime only ending would seem unlikely.

fireheart
Thu, 07-07-2011, 04:52 PM
I'm disappointed that they cut out some of Daikichis lines to his relatives other than that I'm satisfied with the adaption so far though I do wonder how the pacing will be and if they're planning on covering the whole manga.

Yukimura
Fri, 07-08-2011, 10:02 AM
I've seen many people comment favorably on the manga for this so I downloaded it but the art style made it unbearble to watch. Seeing colors so frequently and blatantly going outside of the lines of the drawings makes me think an amateur did it on a whim rather than thinking it's some form of high art and superior to more common modern animation where colors stay in the lines.

vejita613
Fri, 07-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Really? I think the animation gives it its charm. But whatever floats your boat.

I'm a huge fan of the manga, and I'm pleasantly surprised that this got animated. I was just telling my friend today that I think this is going to be one of those series that I would recommend to someone who thought that anime was just all "kids stuff" like pokemon.

animus
Fri, 07-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Found the first episode very endearing and charming. Will watch more.

RyougaZell
Sun, 07-10-2011, 01:20 PM
I really liked the art style they used on this series. Didn't read the manga, so I watched this just based on word-of-mouth and the trailer. I wasn't dissapointed. I kinda wanted to see more the relatives reactions when Daikichi offered Rin to take her home though.

KrayZ33
Mon, 07-11-2011, 10:46 AM
this show is so wonderful... only the first episode aired and I had tears in my eyes.
and the ending made me smile and grin again :)

I kinda wanted to see more the relatives reactions when Daikichi offered Rin to take her home though.

ya, a nice argument with them would've been nice... where Daikichi screams at them that they are being heartless (or something more dramatic)
but it was still very heart-touching to see Rin rushing to his side

MFauli
Tue, 07-12-2011, 06:29 PM
That was nice first episode. The artstyle was strange at first, but I got used to it very quickly. Not much actually happened, but I was never bored, so thatīs a plus. I like the main character and the basic premise sounds interesting, too. Will keep watching.

Extra plus: Despite focusing on this small, "cute" girl, there was nothing moe about it. good.

Kraco
Wed, 07-13-2011, 02:02 AM
Extra plus: Despite focusing on this small, "cute" girl, there was nothing moe about it. good.

Yeah, it's a josei series. If the primary intended audience is women old enough to have kids of their own, the shounen or seinen type of moe isn't necessarily appropriate.

Kraco
Thu, 07-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Episode 2 - HorribleSubs (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=228247)
Episode 2 - Doki (http://tracker.anime-index.org/Doki_Usagi_Drop_-_02_1280x720_h264_AAC_401A8A02.mkv.torrent)

- - - - - - -

This continues really strongly. Watching this second ep also made me realise Rin of this anime is a bit different from the one in the manga, or at least my perception of her. Like the first and second eps have shown, she's somewhat mature, made evident by the level of control, how she tries to advice Daikichi, how she read the book to the other kids. In the manga I also thought she's very calm, but what's going on in this show make her more active, further strengtened by the voice actor's quite high speaking speed. It could be partially due to the difficulty of directing probably relatively inexperience kids, but who knows, it might be a conscious decision by the director as well.

In any case, so far I really like this show. Anime affects me more than manga generally speaking, making this a more lively experience.

MFauli
Thu, 07-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Also liked the 2nd episode. I donīt know if I like the "mature" parts of Rin, but there were enough childish moments as well. I guess the approaching problem for Daikichi will be his work. Coming too late to take Rin from the kindergarten, making mistakes at work, etc.. A girl friend would probably solve a lot of these problems. Hey, the kindergarten woman seemed nice!

Buffalobiian
Fri, 07-15-2011, 11:52 PM
I'm expecting that the Grandpa actually took Rin and her mother in without actually banging her (the mother). So when she comes back, she'll be a candidate for Daikichi's love interest and Rin could also serve as being his kid for real without the relationships becoming all tangled up.

Kraco
Sat, 07-16-2011, 02:45 AM
What, you don't believe in the grandpa's manhood? Even though Daikichi himself gave the geezer props for it.

Ryllharu
Sat, 07-16-2011, 06:35 AM
I wonder how much of Rin's relative maturity comes from being raised by an old man. Reina seems like she is thrown in as a contrast to Rin's personality. Reina is more of what you would expect with a 6 year old, and the other kids at the nursery being more like her and less like Rin support that. Her fashion sense seems more out of the 70s too...but that retro styling is one of the things I really like about the series.

It's not like Rin can't engage with other children though, she has no problem talking with Reina on the phone now, and she plays with the other children. It just seems like she's more of a big sister type than her actual age. Luckily Daikichi is playful enough with her that she still gets to act like a kid.

As a side note, I loved that short scene with Daikichi panting on the train and the skanky OL getting all freaked out. edit: Her expression as she realizes some guy is breathing heavily next to her is priceless.

I also greatly enjoyed Rin's assertion after the credits that it was "just sweat."

Kraco
Sat, 07-16-2011, 06:49 AM
As a side note, I loved that short scene with Daikichi panting on the train and the skanky OL getting all freaked out. edit: Her expression as she realizes some guy is breathing heavily next to her is priceless.

That scene along with the clothes shopping were my favorites. Daikichi being so out of everything children related is one of the better aspects of this story.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-16-2011, 08:31 AM
What, you don't believe in the grandpa's manhood? Even though Daikichi himself gave the geezer props for it.

I do, but I just tried to think of a scenario that would let Daikichi take care of Rin, have a love interest AND let Rin have the happiness of seeing her mother again (assuming she's happy with her mother).

Lucifus
Sat, 07-16-2011, 04:43 PM
So...facking...adorable! I want one! X_X

MFauli
Sat, 07-16-2011, 05:32 PM
So...facking...adorable! I want one! X_X

well, go make one :P

RyougaZell
Sun, 07-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Just watched episode 2. It was simply perfect. I laughed when Daikichi's co-worked thought he had a girlfriend... I await the inevitable wtf scene when they all find he's taking care of his little aunt.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 07-21-2011, 11:13 PM
HorribleSubs - episode 03 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=230125)

RyougaZell
Thu, 07-21-2011, 11:30 PM
I wasn't expecting the family to be won over already... specially after their attitude on the 1st episode. Rin is just too adorable.

MFauli
Fri, 07-22-2011, 12:28 AM
Another great episode. I liked that Daikichi instantly told his family members at the table why Rin-chan was acting so shy in front of them. Though I also think that itīs a bit weird how the family seems to be all good with Rin now. After all, theyīre putting all the stress on Daikichi.

KrayZ33
Fri, 07-22-2011, 10:11 AM
I *love* this show.

I can't wait to see what happens when they confront her mother directly.

animus
Fri, 07-22-2011, 10:02 PM
I guess it makes more sense now that the mother just dropped Rin off with Daikichi's grandfather. She probably offered to work and have her pay as staying as a resident in his place. It probably was for a few years when Rin was still young so she probably couldn't remember/associate the maid as the mother. But then again this is all still theory, and the grandfather could still be the baby daddy.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-23-2011, 09:54 PM
I guess it makes more sense now that the mother just dropped Rin off with Daikichi's grandfather. She probably offered to work and have her pay as staying as a resident in his place. It probably was for a few years when Rin was still young so she probably couldn't remember/associate the maid as the mother. But then again this is all still theory, and the grandfather could still be the baby daddy.

That makes sense, but what I couldn't make sense of was why the maid was being so angry with Rin.

Kraco
Sun, 07-24-2011, 03:52 AM
That makes sense, but what I couldn't make sense of was why the maid was being so angry with Rin.

Unwanted pregnancy, lacking maternal instincts, the baby getting in the way of her other life?

fireheart
Sun, 07-24-2011, 07:52 AM

Isn't it har to say? I mean she might just be a grumpy person and seeing Daikichi said that children automatically think they're being scolded it's not impossible to see how Rin might think she hates her.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 07-28-2011, 08:59 PM
HorribleSubs - Episode 04 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=231984)

RyougaZell
Thu, 07-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Wait wait wait... did we get some kind of timeskip?

KrayZ33
Fri, 07-29-2011, 03:30 AM
so far there have always been small timeskips.
"I only met Rin 3 months ago" is what he said in this episode

this show has become my all-time favorite btw.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Wow, that Masako lady looked like some quiet, misunderstood lady from the flashback shots (which conveniently weren't actually anybody's flashbacks, so they can't be used as facts), but she sounds like some 16-year old on the phone.

Can't wait to meet her to see what her deal is.

MFauli
Sat, 07-30-2011, 11:59 AM
"IF" that was really THE Masako on the phone, my impression would be a rather negative one. She sounded really carefree in her short reply. Of course, my guess is that it isnīt her, but a relative, maybe another, older daughter or such.

Also, the Masako in the flashback had black hair. I guess Daikichiīs grandpa isnīt the real dad.

Lucifus
Fri, 08-05-2011, 08:11 AM
[HorribleSubs] Usagi Drop - 05 [720p] (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=234030)

Kraco
Fri, 08-05-2011, 08:55 AM
It's a pretty valid question that who is the one having the final word in that family...

I got the feeling Daikichi was really ready to become Rin's official father, but at least Rin's simple statement after the refusal seemed to move him enough. Even if he still isn't anything but Daikichi (whatever that means).

Maaya Sakamoto (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=527) did good work voicing Rin's biological mom. She has aced quite a few psychologically ambiguous roles before (Shiki of Kara no Kyoukai, Rip van Winkle of Hellsing, Alphard of Canaan, to mention a few), so in that sense it was to be expected.

Lucifus
Fri, 08-05-2011, 09:15 AM
My god, I don't think I've ever adored anything like this before. She's so adorable! xD

I facking want one!

animus
Fri, 08-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Well I guess it's confirmed that the mother is useless. Rather even more pathetic and useless than I figured in the first place.

Kraco
Fri, 08-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Well I guess it's confirmed that the mother is useless. Rather even more pathetic and useless than I figured in the first place.

That makes us all the happier Rin ended up with Daikichi and not her.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 08-05-2011, 10:31 AM
It's a pretty valid question that who is the one having the final word in that family...

I don't think anybody does, which is a good thing considering how they were treating Rin before, with the exception of Daikichi.

I got the feeling Daikichi was really ready to become Rin's official father, but at least Rin's simple statement after the refusal seemed to move him enough. Even if he still isn't anything but Daikichi (whatever that means).

That means she accepts him for what he is at the moment, which is pretty much a father in all but name.

After hearing the extended phone call at the beginning of the episode, I was sure the mother was retarded. I don't think I'm that far off..

MFauli
Sat, 08-06-2011, 08:04 AM
Well, what we can conclude from this episode is that mangaka are horrible parents. Lol, damn, Iīd love to punch that bitch in the face.

Only thing that bothered me, though, was the bathing scene. Is it really okay to bath together with a 7 year old (sheīs 7, right?) thatīs not your own kid? Donīt know, felt strange. Other than that, best show only rivaled by Kaiji 2nd season.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Only thing that bothered me, though, was the bathing scene. Is it really okay to bath together with a 7 year old (sheīs 7, right?) thatīs not your own kid? Donīt know, felt strange. Other than that, best show only rivaled by Kaiji 2nd season.

I think the Japanese are pretty alright with this. The stuff about (s)kinship by bathing together isn't an anime-lolicon thing (only).

Kraco
Sat, 08-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Who would Rin bathe with, then? Daikichi is her only family at the moment. If they bathe together, it's because Rin either doesn't want to do it alone or Daikichi is afraid she would hurt herself or fail to properly wash herself.

KrayZ33
Sat, 08-06-2011, 10:20 AM
i don't know why it is supposed to be weird?
not everyone is a pedophile
to be honest I would rather bath with her than to explain to her why I "shouldn't" :/

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-07-2011, 01:35 AM
It's normal, not only in Japan, but in other Asian countries as well.

miyama_ryu
Sun, 08-07-2011, 09:25 AM
I would imagine this is the most logical thing to do. What happens in the West then? Have the six year old child bathe herself?

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-07-2011, 09:27 AM
I would imagine this is the most logical thing to do. What happens in the West then? Have the six year old child bathe herself?

I've been brought up with using a shower for water-saving reasons. I'm pretty sure I've been using that by myself since I was six.

No chance of drowning with a shower though.

Kraco
Sun, 08-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Let's also not forget Rin is not a kid of a normal, happy, warm family. Despite her maturity, she still needs extra security and closeness to remain assured of not getting abandoned again. Not forcing her to become independent before she herself seeks it out is one way to achieve that, for now. Although sooner or later Daikichi would drop baths out of the things to do together, naturally.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 08-11-2011, 12:41 PM
HorribleSubs - Episode 06 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=235916)

Kraco
Thu, 08-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Such a jolly episode. For some reason it's so nice to watch those two do mundane things, although a bit of extraordinary like the whole tree business spiced it up pleasantly. Kouki is also adding lots action to the otherwise surprise free life of those two. I also like his perpetual bored and unfriendly expression.

animus
Thu, 08-11-2011, 05:49 PM
Kouki looked a lot like Daikichi when he was young standing next to his tree.

MFauli
Thu, 08-11-2011, 05:55 PM
I wouldnīt mind a sudden twist where Daikichi and the milf die and Kouki and the show started focusing on Rin and Kouki going on adventures. Seriously, really great kid characters, which is rather rare.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 08-12-2011, 09:01 AM
I wouldnīt mind a sudden twist where Daikichi and the milf die and Kouki and the show started focusing on Rin and Kouki going on adventures. Seriously, really great kid characters, which is rather rare.

But that's so NOT in the spirit of Usagi Drop.. I dunno how I'd accept that, lol.

For some reason it's so nice to watch those two do mundane things, although a bit of extraordinary like the whole tree business spiced it up pleasantly.

I think this show tackles some relevant-to-life issues in a way that portrays it as a serious matter worth considering, yet allows us to laugh and arrive at a pleasing conclusion.

Things like how to treat an illegitimate child, the troubles of bringing up a kid (wetting their pants - do you yell.. or not?), addressing their worries, creating memories..

I think that's where the "extraordinary" lies in their normal "mundane" routine. (How many times have we seen them eat breakfast now?)

The one key thing that Daikichi has been very good at is to consider the feelings and intentions of people - particularly children. They're often palmed off with their opinions and reasons overlooked because "they're just a child". Yet he's still very stern when he needs to be.

Kraco
Fri, 08-12-2011, 09:20 AM
The one key thing that Daikichi has been very good at is to consider the feelings and intentions of people - particularly children. They're often palmed off with their opinions and reasons overlooked because "they're just a child". Yet he's still very stern when he needs to be.

That he does. Being stern creates some funny moments, because Rin is quite stern as well. That goes back and forth between them.

Marik
Thu, 08-18-2011, 01:42 PM
[Nipponsei] Usagi Drop OP Single - SWEET DROPS [PUFFY].zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/[Nipponsei]%20Usagi%20Drop%20OP%20Single%20-%20SWEET%20DROPS%20[PUFFY].zip.torrent)
[Nipponsei] Usagi Drop ED Single - High High High [Kasarinchu].​zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/[Nipponsei]%20Usagi%20Drop%20ED%20Single%20-%20High%20High%20High%20[Kasarinchu].zip.torrent)

[Doki] Usagi Drop - 07 - 720p: Torrent (http://tracker.anime-index.org/Doki_Usagi_Drop_-_07_1280x720_h264_AAC_FD1D5093.mkv.torrent) | DDL (http://fileserve.com/file/mQHWWpR)
[Doki] Usagi Drop - 07 - 480p: Torrent (http://tracker.anime-index.org/Doki_Usagi_Drop_-_07_848x480_h264_AAC_2AE3B055.mkv.torrent) | DDL (http://fileserve.com/file/CHcyXDQ)

[HorribleSubs] Usagi Drop - 07 - 720p: Torrent (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=238097) | DDL (http://www.fileserve.com/file/Z7D2u6S/[HorribleSubs]_Usagi_Drop_-_07_[720p].mkv)
[HorribleSubs] Usagi Drop - 07 - 480p: Torrent (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=238092) | DDL (http://www.fileserve.com/file/996mys3/[HorribleSubs]_Usagi_Drop_-_07_[480p].mkv)

Kraco
Thu, 08-18-2011, 02:06 PM
A bit darker and less comedic episode than the previous ones. Of course the story was from the beginning not only fluffy happiness and discovery but was also serving in plentiful servings all the problems families face. This was certainly an episode especially concentrating on that theme of the story.

Daikichi is seriously underestimating his own importance to Rin and how well he's managing. Or rather how well they both are managing all things considered.

MFauli
Thu, 08-18-2011, 02:57 PM
The way Haruko treated her marriage was ridiculous. If you think of your husband as an enemy, get divorced asap. YOU decided to marry him, nobody forced you, girl.

Also, please have next episode about Daikichi and Milf marrying. That HAS GOT TO be happening.

Kraco
Thu, 08-18-2011, 03:29 PM
The way Haruko treated her marriage was ridiculous. If you think of your husband as an enemy, get divorced asap. YOU decided to marry him, nobody forced you, girl.

Bah, she was just venting out a bit. Not saying she would have an ideal marriage, but people these days divorce far too easily. As if divorcing was equal to going to watch a movie. Even if she didn't have the aggravating situation of not having any means to support the kid, in any case Reina would end up living separated from her old man, and clearly she didn't hate him, quite the contrary. What they should do is to leave the fricking house of the husband's parents and get a place of their own, like a normal family (by western standards, har har). It's 100% guaranteed that would both set Haruko's mind at ease and also considerably heal her and the husband's relationship. The man is a loser for not doing that. Following your idea Haruko should tell him that it's a divorce unless they do.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-20-2011, 05:30 AM
I guess it comes back to the importance of marriage in itself. Like.. why endure all the emotional pain when you can just divorce an marry another person? That was the issue that I had pondered about a while back - what IS marriage? What is it that you're enduring all that hardship for?

A past promise? Why do you continue to honour it? Is it alright to dishonour it when you stop loving the other person?
If it's "because I married you", then is it just a stubborn pride? Just enduring to prove that you weren't a "failure" at marriage, and to continue your relationship with another person just because you're "someone of your word" regardless of whether yourself or the other person still wishes you to?

To draw a comparison, I completed my pharmacy degree, but never really felt anything for it throughout these past 4 years despite thinking it was a good choice at the time of choosing. What does it mean to complete this? Was it just for not wanting to be a "failure", for not "dropping out" or so I would never let anyone have the excuse to say I made a wrong decision? Perhaps it's exactly what Haruka was thinking this episode - "All the other alternatives seem to carry their risks. Might as well stick to this, I've already weathered through this many years of it, right?"

I guess what I'm saying is, weathering through marriage is undeniably good and all if we know that at the end of the journey, you'd be happy. But that's not something we'd ever know - so how does one decide whether you will see light at the end of the tunnel if you stick to your marriage, or if it's just going to prolong your misery?

Anyway, quite the thought provoking episode. It also showed that a lot of times kids DO know what's going on between parents, even if it's a feeling. They're hiding that from you, not the other way around.

Kraco
Sat, 08-20-2011, 07:06 AM
If there are no children, I don't think much of a divorce. Of course it shows either bad judgement, hidden personality traits (psychosis at worst), or medical reasons to divorce at all, since by default it still should be a permanent deal, but if it's just the two people, neither really lose anything if it has already come to that. However, once the offspring appear, it's nothing but the parents' immaturity and selfishness, unless really aggravating circumstances appear, like domestic violence. The kids should be the parents' highest priority, not their own comfort. I don't think anybody sensible denies that having both (loving) parents is the ideal situation for a kid.

Like I said in my previous post, the only problem in that family is, with high probability, the husbands scumbag parents. Otherwise it seems like a pretty normal Japanese family, where the husband is rarely available due to working from the morning till the evening.

Lucifus
Thu, 08-25-2011, 07:53 PM
Enjoy!

[HorribleSubs] Usagi Drop - 08 [720p] (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=239981)

Kraco
Fri, 08-26-2011, 12:48 AM
A funny yet touching scene where Daickichi was actually more unsecure than Rin, as he should be.

David75
Fri, 08-26-2011, 12:50 AM
Also this ep tends to confirm grandpa was quite green for his age and teenagers might have strange tastes :D

KrayZ33
Sun, 08-28-2011, 08:47 AM
haha, the scene after the ending was awesome :) (like always)

Marik
Thu, 09-01-2011, 06:54 PM
[Doki] Usagi Drop – 09 - 720p: Torrent (http://tracker.anime-index.org/Doki_Usagi_Drop_-_09_1280x720_h264_AAC_B0C0B7DA.mkv.torrent) | DDL (http://fileserve.com/file/BjJJU8M)
[Doki] Usagi Drop – 09 - 480p: Torrent (http://tracker.anime-index.org/Doki_Usagi_Drop_-_09_848x480_h264_AAC_5FC72C57.mkv.torrent) | DDL (http://fileserve.com/file/9cCKwv4)

MFauli
Thu, 09-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Milf continues to be milf - is all I wanna say about this episode :P

Lucifus
Thu, 09-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Milfs all well and milf; but good lord, those kids are so adorable! xD

Buffalobiian
Sat, 09-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Milfs all well and milf; but good lord, those kids are so adorable! xD

Yeah. I do not want to see this go down the depressing path ever again. It would break my heart..

It's one thing for Kouki to listen to Rin, for the teachers to be surprised by the level of influence she has over him - but even those kids who were teasing Kouki decided to stop instead of challenging what she just said. That was something.

I also chuckled when the girls said Kouki will bully Rin for that. That's how little they know about him. Probably the last thing that crossed their (or the teachers' minds, for that matter) is that Kouki will make school a living hell for anyone who bullies Rin.

Kraco
Sat, 09-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Probably the last thing that crossed their (or the teachers' minds, for that matter) is that Kouki will make school a living hell for anyone who bullies Rin.

Rin doesn't seem like a person who would get bullied. She's mature, has outwardly strong mental integrity, isn't afraid to confront a "scary" looking person like Kouki, and has friends (including a scary looking person like Kouki). In short, the kind of person who never gets bullied. Her only weakness would be the abnormal family.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 09-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Rin doesn't seem like a person who would get bullied. She's mature, has outwardly strong mental integrity, isn't afraid to confront a "scary" looking person like Kouki, and has friends (including a scary looking person like Kouki). In short, the kind of person who never gets bullied. Her only weakness would be the abnormal family.

Maybe amongst her normal female peers, yeah. I was mainly thinking of boys who like to do nothing else but compulsively bully people (and girls) - perhaps out of social/sexual frustration?

Maybe that's more of a highschool thing.

Kraco
Sun, 09-04-2011, 01:45 AM
Perhaps. Although landing in a school with such a pathological bully present plus the school doing nothing about it requires bad luck. Especially in a place like Japan, where high school isn't compulsory.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-04-2011, 01:58 AM
Perhaps. Although landing in a school with such a pathological bully present plus the school doing nothing about it requires bad luck. Especially in a place like Japan, where high school isn't compulsory.

To clarify, I meant junior highschool. ;)

Kraco
Sun, 09-04-2011, 02:30 AM
Isn't that middle school? You usually see that term used in manga/anime. For a good reason, just like you proved.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Isn't that middle school? You usually see that term used in manga/anime. For a good reason, just like you proved.

Yeah, middle school.

Kraco
Thu, 09-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Episode 10 - HorribleSubs (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=243916)

- - - - - - - - - -

I like energetic Rin a lot more than the bed-ridden one, of course, but this was a very tangible episode precisely because of that. Daikichi's inexperience showed clearly as well, whereas Kouki's mom again shined brightly. Such a good person to care so deeply for Rin. It seemed like her presence mattered a lot. There were also the same wholesome family vibes that having Daikichi, Kouki's mom, Rin, and Kouki under the same roof always produces.

This show has only 11 eps, based on multiple sources, so there's only one more left. There have been anime that have stuffed amazingly lot in the last episode, but there's about as big a chance for this anime to include the rest of the manga as a bottle of booze to survive for a week in Bill's possession. Zilch, that is. In fact I'd prefer if it didn't even try but rather retained the calm speed it has had until now and ended with an open ending. A show like this doesn't really need a solid, conclusive ending in a first place. Aishiteru ze Baby (anime) didn't have one and has a permanent place in my Top 5.

MFauli
Thu, 09-08-2011, 08:26 PM
I disagree with your "a show like this doesnt need a solid, conclusive ending". But Iīd disagree about such a statement for every anime. I like conclusive endings.

Anyway, I have no idea what theyīre going to show in the last episode. Thereīs so much thatīs unresolved. There wonīt be a second season, will there? If not...hm. Well, what Iīd like to see happening the most would be Daikichi and Milf marrying. Or at least officially dating each other (marriage seems to far in the future for it to be in the next episode). Actually, the fact that she seems to be ill would be the perfet starting point for that. Then next episode Daikichi would visit her and help her getting better, while in the process she realizes how truly nice of a man Daikichi is, and, well, then they kiss, Rin presses her hands onto her mouth, Kouki makes a comical angry face, and then they all laugh together. The end. Feeling good.

Yeah, Iīd like something like that.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 09-09-2011, 10:00 AM
I really can't see this show as being unpopular. Maybe not the MOST popular show out there, but still very solid. That in mind, I can definitely see a second season coming, and I think they're just taking a break in between each season's run like they've been doing to anime these days.

I'll agree with Kraco that an open ending for this anime is perfectly fine. Forcing, or making up a closing episode is the last thing that they should do and completely ruins the flow this has.

I didn't like the way Rin was drawn in that scene when Daikichi realised she had a fever. The watery eyes, the flushed roundness (an artstyle that was very prominent in Denpa Onna) feels very... pornographic.

David75
Sat, 09-10-2011, 03:48 AM
Milf loves Babies, Daikichi is ready to help :D

It's pretty clear that they are already more than acquaintances.
After all, she comes at his place and pretty much already fits in the housewife roles when she cooks or manages Rin illness.

The hand scene just confirmed how far she already is in their relationship, only Daikichi is a little late in understanding that.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 09-15-2011, 12:04 PM
HorribleSubs - Episode 11 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=245645)

MFauli
Thu, 09-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Meh, Iīll just assume then that Daikichi is having awesome intercourse with super milf right now :P

Good episode, I guess, and just like some of you expected, they ended without some "forced" twist or drama. Even though I didnīt like that as much. Not saying it didnīt fit the the animeīs general tone, but I would have wished for at least "something" to happen. Even if it was just Kouki carefreely spouting "ano ne, Daikichi is almost like a dad, isnīt he!", and Daikichi and milf blushing.

So, thereīs really no second season coming? Really weird, since the show clearly has a bigger plot going on.

fireheart
Thu, 09-15-2011, 03:42 PM
So, thereīs really no second season coming? Really weird, since the show clearly has a bigger plot going on.

If they do a second season I really hope they don't animate the rest of the manga but do their own thing, either way this is the perfect place to stop.

Kraco
Thu, 09-15-2011, 04:12 PM
If they do a second season I really hope they don't animate the rest of the manga but do their own thing, either way this is the perfect place to stop.

Yeah, I agree. I'm not going to spoil anything for anime only watchers, but let's just say the manga ending is not something I wanted to see animated, and thus this ending ensured this show will rank high on my favourite anime list. I suppose many threads were left hanging, foremost the situation with Rin's mom, and also Kouki's mom, but in the end this was a show about Rin and Daikichi above all. The show ended with both happy and full of life.

Sort of strange that the two similar shows, Usagi Drop and Aishiteru ze Baby, both ended like this, dropping the manga ending out of the anime, and in my opinion were better that way.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 09-16-2011, 10:00 AM
I really can't guess at the reason behind "the manga ending is not something I wanted to see animated". Were you guys dissatisfied with the ending in general, or did you just think (for whatever incomprehensible reason for the unenlightened me at this point) that it doesn't suit a moving picture? :S

PS: if we were to continue from this by reading the manga, which chapter should we start on?

Kraco
Fri, 09-16-2011, 10:21 AM
PS: if we were to continue from this by reading the manga, which chapter should we start on?

Volume 5, chapter 25. You'd be in for quite a surprise, though.

It's not a technical issue of animating but a story one. While I loved the first half of the story that was now animated, I disliked quite a few things in the latter half. Not saying there wouldn't be anything worth reading there, but... well, you'll see if you read it.

MFauli
Fri, 09-16-2011, 03:05 PM
woah, reading the manga now. no wonder there wonīt be a second season of the anime. cant stop reading now, but yeah, it makes no sense to continue the anime, unless they went for an original ending.

Kraco
Mon, 11-14-2011, 05:51 PM
4.5' of dropping bunnies:

Episode 2.5 - Hatsuyuki (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=260151)

The good old Usagi Drop atmosphere permeates this extra.

Marik
Thu, 12-01-2011, 11:22 AM
[Oyatsu] Usagi Drop 3.​5 - BD 1080p: Torrent (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/[Oyatsu]%20Usagi%20Drop%203.5%20%281920x1080%20BD%20AAC%29 %20[3BD8DFF6].torrent) | DDL (http://www.multiupload.com/ZQZCT37EUQ)
[Oyatsu] Usagi Drop 3.​5 - BD 720p: Torrent (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/[Oyatsu]%20Usagi%20Drop%203.5%20%281280x720%20BD%20AAC%29% 20[F45B0840].torrent) | DDL (http://www.multiupload.com/0C5AQJ0EI5)

Marik
Sun, 12-25-2011, 11:06 AM
[Oyatsu] Usagi Drop 6.​5 - BD 1080p: Torrent (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/[Oyatsu]%20Usagi%20Drop%206.5%20%281920x1080%20BD%20AAC%29 %20[741610CB].mkv.torrent) | DDL (http://www.multiupload.com/6WB3OY4FOQ)
[Oyatsu] Usagi Drop 6.​5 - BD 720p: Torrent (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/[Oyatsu]%20Usagi%20Drop%206.5%20%281280x720%20BD%20AAC%29% 20[75997BBB].mkv.torrent) | DDL (http://www.multiupload.com/BSA3OYSXPV)

Kraco
Sun, 12-25-2011, 02:01 PM
These OVAs are nice. It's always heartwarming to see Rin, Daikichi, Kouki, and Kouki's mom together. It feels wholesome.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-25-2011, 09:56 PM
These OVAs are nice. It's always heartwarming to see Rin, Daikichi, Kouki, and Kouki's mom together. It feels wholesome.

Indeed. Daikichi's teruterubozu just made me laugh.

Kraco
Mon, 12-26-2011, 06:57 AM
Indeed. Daikichi's teruterubozu just made me laugh.

No teruterubozu can have that much impact after that one episode of Ika Musume...

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Hatsuyuki - Episode 8.5 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=284208)