PDA

View Full Version : Can someone translate this japanese tattoo?

lelouch
Fri, 07-01-2011, 04:51 PM
I'm thinking about getting a tattoo like this:

http://www.japanesetattoo.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Traditional-Japanese-Kanji-Tattoo-on-Back.jpg

I was wondering what it said. Can someone help with this?

bagandscalpel
Fri, 07-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Looks like a bullet-pointed list of the many ways baka gaijin waste their money on things they don't understand.

But honestly, while I can't help you, you could help others help you by getting a higher resolution picture.

And if you absolutely MUST get some philosophical text inscribed into your back for a prolonged amount of time, I'd recommend the Sanzi Jing.

Dark_Sage
Fri, 07-01-2011, 05:48 PM
It's incredibly deep and introspective. You should get that tattoo today.

DeadlyOats
Fri, 07-01-2011, 06:48 PM
It's his last will and testament. I guess he wanted to be ready - just in case. You know?

Animeniax
Fri, 07-01-2011, 07:10 PM
You should get a tattoo on your forehead of a classic kanji character like "ai" which means "love". Here's my artistic representation of a kid with such a tattoo:

http://media.animegalleries.net/albums/Naruto/gaara/naruto_gaara0000.jpg?=123

Sapphire
Fri, 07-01-2011, 07:13 PM
I would want Kurenai's tattoo, if everyone else in the world didn't have it.

enkoujin
Fri, 07-01-2011, 11:45 PM
I found this on the same website:

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff434/sanriokittyx/Gotwoot%20Forums/ae14917a.jpg

http://www.japanesetattoo.us/japanese-back-tattoo.html

This would be a good investment because it will look like you're wearing a $80 Ed Hardy shirt all the time and will always be let into the clubs and bars. Just make sure you get a similar design that covers your entire front as well.

lelouch
Sat, 07-02-2011, 12:03 AM
@bagandscalpal, dark sage and deadly oats:

I get the feeling each of your comments were sarcastic but i can't tell lol.

Does someone at least know what the big characters down the middle mean?

XanBcoo
Sat, 07-02-2011, 12:06 AM
@bagandscalpal, dark sage and deadly oats:

I get the feeling each of your comments were sarcastic but i can't tell lol.

Does someone at least know what the big characters down the middle mean?
"WEEABOO"

enkoujin
Sat, 07-02-2011, 12:26 AM
Seriously, I have heard that many Yakuza/Japanese tattoos use complex and nonsensical kanji characters for their tattoos. There may be a probability that whatever is on the tattoo does not make sense.

Also, because this is kanji written in a calligraphy styled font (the font is fading in the middle), this makes it even harder for people to decipher even if they do speak basic Japanese.

Lastly, the picture, as suggested by bagandscalpel, needs to be bigger for us to see anything.

I do strongly recommend that you e-mail the author of this website with your inquiry, ask on a forum with native Japanese people or seek professional help by hiring a translator.

Our apologies, lelouch, but there's just something about "weeaboos" that we all dislike and tattoos are one of them. This video should explain what we think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM8oeKd5fY0

lelouch
Sat, 07-02-2011, 12:32 AM
"WEEABOO"

I had no idea what "WEEABOO" meant, so I looked it up. I found two definitions:

1. "weeaboo"
A game whereby the one who is caught saying the word weeaboo must be chained to a pipe and paddled by all around him/her. Those with the paddles must chant weeaboo until the paddling is finished and the one chained to a pipe is released.

2. "Weeaboo"
Someone who is obsessed with Japan/Japanese Culture/Anime, etc. and attempts to act as if they were Japanese, even though they're far from it. They use Japanese words but usually end up pronouncing them wrong and sounding like total assholes. You can find alot of these faggots clogging up the forums of Gaia Online, hanging out in the international aisle of the supermarket, or crowding the manga section of your local bookstore.

I've come to the conclusion that you are all either making fun of me for wanting this tattoo while refusing to translate, or that you plan on beating me with paddles.

Sad panda.

edit:

@enkoujin: I literally just lol'd out of my bed from that video

IFHTT
Sat, 07-02-2011, 12:45 AM
I'm sure they're implying a little bit of both of those definitions.

I say you should just get something witty and relevant like this:
http://www.opendb.net/media/content/660.gif

might be a little too racist though...

speaking of racism, that guy's teeth in the video enkoujin posted were so white that white supremacists would be jealous...

XanBcoo
Sat, 07-02-2011, 01:15 AM
It's weird. They say you would call an Asian person wearing clothes with horrible English on them a "douchebag" but it's actually a great source of comedy (http://www.engrish.com/).

Not that that changes anything. In the end the message is clear: Don't get that retarded tattoo.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-02-2011, 01:57 AM
The "character" (if you can see a definite character there) that makes up the lower portion of the larger middle font of the original tattoo looks like 'tea"..

That's all I could make out.

David75
Sat, 07-02-2011, 06:29 AM
I did try some cleaning, then extracting the character, then put it to an online OCR I use and nothing came out of it.
I might try for chinese.

Psyke
Sat, 07-02-2011, 08:30 AM
I've seen some with ridiculous kanji for sure, one which I remember was 女力, which is a direction word for word translation for "Girl Power". It doesn't even make sense. However, I do have some shirts with kanji, which I guess is ok, since I'm asian......

Kraco
Sat, 07-02-2011, 08:49 AM
I don't see what's wrong with such shirts if you know the language decently. But if you don't know the language and they aren't 100% obvious tourist shirts, I find it more dubious. Everybody thinks English (not Engrish) prints on T-shirts are perfectly OK everywhere, so why wouldn't other languages be? I think denying the right to use them is elitist weeabooism as much as wearing them ignorantly is popular weeabooism.

Animeniax
Sat, 07-02-2011, 09:26 AM
lelouch: is your back muscular and broad enough to handle a badass back tat?

If you have any huge tats on your body, you won't be allowed into hot spring and public baths if and when you ever visit Japan. Plus you might get stabbed by real gangsters there if you do have offensive tats.

Sapphire
Sat, 07-02-2011, 10:34 AM
So the Japanese guy I know, with tattoos all over his back, arms etc, is actually gangsta?

lelouch
Sat, 07-02-2011, 02:18 PM
@animeniax: yes my back is about as broad as his

@buffalobian: I agree. Racist japs.

@Xanbcoo: I literally cannot stop laughing at engrish.com. never heard of this site, this is hilarious.

"Buy one, get half" LOL

Edort4
Sat, 07-02-2011, 03:17 PM
So the Japanese guy I know, with tattoos all over his back, arms etc, is actually gangsta?

You are friends with a yakuza isnt that cool?

XanBcoo
Sat, 07-02-2011, 04:53 PM
I don't see what's wrong with such shirts if you know the language decently. But if you don't know the language and they aren't 100% obvious tourist shirts, I find it more dubious. Everybody thinks English (not Engrish) prints on T-shirts are perfectly OK everywhere, so why wouldn't other languages be? I think denying the right to use them is elitist weeabooism as much as wearing them ignorantly is popular weeabooism.
It's more that they are pitiable and pathetic for trying so hard to make a display of their ignorance rather than looking down on them because they don't know the language as well as you.

It displays a childish pretension, kind of like someone adding random Japanese words into a sentence or giving themselves a Japanese nickname for no reason other than it being associated with something cool.

Kraco
Sat, 07-02-2011, 05:34 PM
It displays a childish pretension, kind of like someone adding random Japanese words into a sentence or giving themselves a Japanese nickname for no reason other than it being associated with something cool.

It's a fricking T-shirt... My brother always told me he wouldn't wear typical brand T-shirts (or other equivalent clothing), because he doesn't want to appear a walking ad for a company, ironically even paying for the "privilege" of being a walking commercial. Usually a company pays you if you make them more visible, not the other way around. Well, I don't really care personally. A shirt is good if it's not ugly and it's of decent quality. But like I said ealier, I wouldn't wear a shirt with text if I didn't know the language to know exactly what the text is saying and that it's not ranguage. But if you do know Japanese, or Chinese, then it should be 100% comparable to a shirt with English text for all practical purposes. Unless you really are surrounded by idiots who don't know the language but still presume to laugh at you because they learned a new word from the internets to use against you.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 07-03-2011, 05:17 AM
The "character" (if you can see a definite character there) that makes up the lower portion of the larger middle font of the original tattoo looks like 'tea"..

That's all I could make out.

@buffalobian: I agree. Racist japs.

????????

shinta|hikari
Mon, 07-04-2011, 03:42 PM
But if you do know Japanese, or Chinese, then it should be 100% comparable to a shirt with English text for all practical purposes. Unless you really are surrounded by idiots who don't know the language but still presume to laugh at you because they learned a new word from the internets to use against you.

I completely agree. I really don't think the term weeaboo applies to someone who likes AND knows the actual language and culture, not simply an adulterated version of it seen in popular media.

Animeniax
Mon, 07-04-2011, 09:27 PM
But if you do know Japanese, or Chinese, then it should be 100% comparable to a shirt with English text for all practical purposes.

I disagree, since English is the common language (so common that aliens in outer space and from other dimensions speak it, if sci-fi movies are to be believed) that knowing it and using it is almost a requirement of living in the 21st century. But pretending to know about some Asian culture because it's "cool" leaves you open to ridicule.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 07-04-2011, 10:11 PM
A lot of people don't speak or understand English well, like the Japanese.

Animeniax
Mon, 07-04-2011, 10:58 PM
No, but almost all of them take 6 years of English language during middle and high school and their tv/music media is inundated with American culture. You can't come close to saying that about Americans and Japanese. Anime/manga will always remain fringe geek and they barely relate to J-culture anyway.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 07-04-2011, 11:35 PM
No, but almost all of them take 6 years of English language during middle and high school and their tv/music media is inundated with American culture.

Yet Engrish is still so prevalent. It shows you how much those programs actually helped them.

Kraco
Tue, 07-05-2011, 01:50 AM
But pretending to know about some Asian culture because it's "cool" leaves you open to ridicule.

Did you even read what I said? If you know the fricking language better than just being able to buy random noodles from a booth, it's not "pretending to know about some Asian culture". The one and only problem the shirt might pose is the external danger of ignorant idiots calling you names. But then again, idiots hardly need any excuse to cause disorder, so unless you are suffering from massive self-confidence issues, you can't order your life according to the whims of idiots.

Besides, last time I checked you don't need to know a culture inside out to wear a t-shirt. If I did, I couldn't even wear shirts with English text. Saying English is such a mighty important language that it's okay, yet no other language is good enough by itself is, I'd say, American imperialism and nothing else.

Sapphire
Tue, 07-05-2011, 08:03 AM
Eh, it's all about aesthetic value. If I ever get a tattoo in another language, it's because the meaning of the words have some significance to me, and the "foreign" way they're written looks beautiful to me and has some other sort of significance. Could be Klingon or Japanese or Sanskrit.

Why do people get all pissed off if people mark their own body with a language they don't know? Who are you to say what they should and shouldn't draw on themselves with?

bagandscalpel
Tue, 07-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Eh, it's all about aesthetic value. If I ever get a tattoo in another language, it's because the meaning of the words have some significance to me, and the "foreign" way they're written looks beautiful to me and has some other sort of significance. Could be Klingon or Japanese or Sanskrit.

Why do people get all pissed off if people mark their own body with a language they don't know? Who are you to say what they should and shouldn't draw on themselves with?

Oh, people can get whatever they want etched onto their body, while everyone else is free to ridicule them.

But personally, the worst that happens to me is that an eyebrow is raised unconsciously whenever I see an instance of oriental calligraphy body art on non-Asians. It is because, unlike what Sapphire says, oft times, the same people do NOT know the meaning of what they're getting slapped on their ass and only do it to satisfy the Rule of Cool.

XanBcoo
Tue, 07-05-2011, 04:04 PM
It's more frequently a mark of association with a subculture than an understanding of a nation's culture. You don't see people going around in droves with African languages on their backs, or hebrew characters on a t-shirt.

Sapphire
Tue, 07-05-2011, 04:08 PM
I don't even understand American culture.

IFHTT
Tue, 07-05-2011, 08:51 PM
You're not missing much.

kokujin-kun
Tue, 07-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Okay, since I can't read Japanese for shit, I asked some natives to tell me what those characters are, and it appears that the big characters are 極眞会 or Kyokushinkai, some kind of karate discipline you can read about here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyokushin_kaikan) The smaller letters appear to be some some dojo oath, original Japanese seen here (http://www.kyokushinkan-jyonan.com/Dojyokun.htm), and an English translation seen here (http://blog.livedoor.jp/etsuken84/archives/50322649.html).

/thread

Animeniax
Tue, 07-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Sweet, good work man. Before you can "/thread" though, someone has to say it:

Lelouch, even though you probably don't practice kyokushin karate or any kind of martial art, you should totally get this oath tattoo. It would be real badass.

kokujin-kun
Wed, 07-06-2011, 12:16 AM
Ah, yeah, good point ;^^

DeadlyOats
Wed, 07-06-2011, 07:53 PM
But if he gets that tattoo, wouldn't every martial artist - that can read Japanese - take it as a challenge? Wouldn't that mean that he'd be forever ducking and dodging, running and hiding, to get away from them dojo challengers? (That or get his ass handed to him on a regular basis).

Hey... Wait a minute!!!! That sounds like a plot for a martial arts anime comedy. Wow! You'd be living the anime lifestyle - in real life - if you get that tattoo!!

Awesome!

6Zabuza9
Wed, 07-06-2011, 08:33 PM
get the tattoo. stay away from lyoto machida

Animeniax
Wed, 07-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Cool mma reference. GSP is a kyokushin black belt.

Really he'd only need to worry if he's at the beach, at the gym, or in Japan with his shirt off.

Edort4
Thu, 07-07-2011, 05:00 AM
Even in those cases he can always run or throw some indiana jones move.

DeadlyOats
Fri, 07-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Cool mma reference. GSP is a kyokushin black belt.

Really he'd only need to worry if he's at the beach, at the gym, or in Japan with his shirt off.

I'm sorry, Animeniax. I had to throw in the towel and give up on trying to figure out what you meant. What is "mma", and what (or who) is "GSP"?

enkoujin
Fri, 07-08-2011, 11:39 PM
I'm sorry, Animeniax. I had to throw in the towel and give up on trying to figure out what you meant. What is "mma", and what (or who) is "GSP"?

MMA: Mixed Martial Arts (http://tinyurl.com/bt27l6)

GSP: Georges St-Pierre (http://tinyurl.com/ng5yjb)

Use Google if you can for simple problems.

Animeniax
Sat, 07-09-2011, 12:54 AM

It was in reply to 6Zabuza9's mention of Lyoto Machida, who is a Shotokan karate black belt, not Kyokushin.