PDA

View Full Version : How To Choose The Best Font For Subtitles???

uzi.mafioso
Wed, 06-08-2011, 10:25 AM
It has been bugging me for quite some time [and the title is enough to tell what has been bugging me], what font should I use for anime etc. I noticed that Gotwoot? has a superb taste in picking the fonts for the desired anime series, e.g. Maindra GD for House of Five Leaves with blue outline and a light grey shadow, and ITC Quay Sans for Deadman Wonderland with dark-red outline and the same goes for Occult academy and so on. ;) :D

Anyway, those fonts fit perfectly for the respective anime. Right now I'm using Kozuka Mincho Pro [and am happy with it] for all the movies as movies generally have a lot of space in black [I dont know the proper words of the area above and below the screen :o], but somehow I don't know what will be the best font to use for anime like Baccano which although have been nicely subbed by Ayu, the font is Constantia and I wanted a better font and the general technique of picking the tastiest font. :D

Thanks.

Killa-Eyez
Sun, 06-19-2011, 12:31 AM
<offtopic>
Hahaha, that's an awesome avatar!
</offtopic>

Check on Drrr! (Durarara!). It's made by the same anime studio and has similar art presentation.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 06-19-2011, 12:49 AM
He's asking about fonts, not anime recommendations.

poopdeville
Sun, 06-19-2011, 12:40 PM
When picking out a font, always go for readability over style. That doesn't mean you can't pick stylish fonts. But be sure to look at the anime's "main" color scheme, how "busy" it looks, and so on. The busier it looks, the bigger/easier you want the font to be. You might even use an ugly solid color. If it's not too busy, look at the show's color scheme. Pick out a few colors that are prominent, and look at a color wheel to pick out different, "matching" colors for the font.

Accented analogic color schemes can work very nicely. So can plain old triads. Plug the anime's "main" colors into:
http://colorschemedesigner.com/
and play around.