PDA

View Full Version : Light Novel Recommendations

shinta|hikari
Fri, 06-03-2011, 03:48 PM
I know that I could have posted light novel threads by title, but I doubt many people read them here so I judged that just one would suffice. I tried the search function first and it yielded no results so I made this one.

I have been reading a ton of light novels lately. Most of them are not finished yet. I have been getting them from baka-tsuki.org. A lot of the light novels I read are continuations of anime that I really liked, some of which are:

Baccano! - A decent amount of stuff not in the anime already translated. More Ennis!
Durarara!!! - 3 volumes translated, all a sequel to the anime, with tons of Celty in the 4th volume
Bakemonogatari - Kizumonogatari is almost complete, and it is awesome
Dai Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu - The entire Dai series is a sequel to the anime. 2 volumes and a bit of the 3rd translated. Pretty good, although way too much talk about dango.
Chrome Shelled Regios - Some parts near the end of the anime are different in the novel. The novel feels much more serious and dark.
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu - This is no longer in baka-tsuki. The latest volumes came out recently, and I can't wait for them to be translated somewhere.

But there are also really good ones that deserve to be animated:

Utsuro no Hako, Zero no Maria - My personal favorite. Supernatural mystery with lots of detective work.
Sword Art Online - Great take on the MMORPG concept
Mimizuku to Yoru no Ou - Feels like a Miyazaki film in text

What light novels are you guys reading?

RyougaZell
Fri, 06-03-2011, 06:06 PM
I read a bit of Suzumiya on that site a few years ago. Recently I've wanted to return to read To Aru Majutsu no Index. I wasn't aware Dai Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu was there, so I'll check it.

Physically speaking (bought volumes) I was reading .hack//GU Novel version... but f-Tokyopop went bankrupt and didn't publish the last volume =/

Xelbair
Sat, 06-04-2011, 05:03 AM
so Dai series is sequel to the anime? and its translated? grabbing it now.
I've heard about SOA(i've had those nice .hack// vibes when i read summary), but i couldn't find full translation, or at least one that starts from 1 volume.
I've had also started reading durarara, but same problem - i've only found 1st chapter of 1st volume translated.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 06-04-2011, 08:01 AM
Dai - Yes, 1st volume continues exactly where the anime left off.
SAO - Main story jumps around novels. Read volume 1, 3, then 4. That covers the entire main story. Volume 2 has filler stories, but it is not fully translated yet. If you like .Hack, you will love this.
Durarara - Read from volume 4. It continues from the anime.

All of these are in baka-tsuki.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 07-20-2012, 09:42 AM
I am just going to necro this thread instead of making a new one for LN recommendations. LNs seem to have a much smaller audience in GW than VNs, so this should be fine.

I just read Huey volumes of the Baccano manga. They are quite unlike the usual Baccano novels in terms of writing style and overall theme, but they were still excellent.

For those who like mecha and military action, read Heavy Object (http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=HEAVY_OBJECT). It can be a bit hard to believe at times, but David and Goliath theme is certainly entertaining.

Dark Dragon
Fri, 07-20-2012, 06:24 PM
I'm reading SAO and Highschool DxD right now. I'll probably start on Chrome Shell Regios after these two.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 07-20-2012, 06:43 PM
If you like Highschool DxD, you may want to try Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance, and of course Campione. I think the novel does much better than the anime in portraying the action scenes.

Ryllharu
Fri, 07-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai (http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Boku_wa_tomodachi_ga_sukunai). Quite a different flavor from the anime with Kodaka's narration, and it goes quite a bit farther (anime material stops at volume 3, and never got into much of the details). There's that little tug at your heart that you feel when reading about the two main girls and how remarkably...pathetic the two of them are at times. The narration completely changes the overall feel of the series, and puts a great deal more insight into the girls and Kodaka himself. Completely different portrayal of Maria that the anime never got into, Rika is far more nuanced, but Kobato is still Kobato.

I'd also like to second Regios.

Campione was very dull. I would not recommend it.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 07-20-2012, 07:43 PM
If you like Highschool DxD, you would like Campione. It isn't the best among light novels though, for sure.

Great info about Haganai. I was wondering if it was worth picking up. I will read it after finishing off all the SAO side stories.

Dark Dragon
Fri, 07-20-2012, 08:36 PM
I really like DxD not so much for the harem element (i don't hate it as much as some of the people on this forum though). I think it's enjoyable because of how much fun the author is having with it (Norse diety, Christian, Chinese myth and so on) he's just throwing all kind of story into the mix and it's becoming rather epic.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 07-20-2012, 08:42 PM
You will probably like Campione for the same reason. It is about gods from all religions all over the world after all. The world is a bit more complex in the novel than the anime because they actually explain what is going on.

And it is a harem.

Erica Blandelli is also a great female lead.

Xelbair
Sun, 07-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Sword Art Online, Regios, Baccano and Fate zero are obvious choices for recommendation.
I've tried to read Horizon.. but it is as insane(or even more) as anime.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 07-23-2012, 09:45 AM
WAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Utsuro no Hako, Zero no Maria volume 5 is out!!!

The prologue has been translated, and it looks like it will continue to be translated.

I have been waiting years for this. This is my favorite light novel. If you haven't read it, read it.

Xelbair
Tue, 07-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Do not bother with Mushi to Medama - cliche as ..., not interesting, with deus ex machina ending of vol1.

Dark Dragon
Tue, 07-24-2012, 08:19 PM
I started reading Campione, it's not bad. A bit heavy handed on stuffing in as much mythology as the author could find, but not bad.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 07-24-2012, 08:28 PM
I knew you would like it.

Now put that on hold and read Utsuro no Hako.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-28-2012, 04:29 AM
I just finished volume 5 of Utsuro no Hako, Zero no Maria.

I have never been so confused by a work of fiction in my life.

I am not confused intellectually, but my emotions are raging, battling on who I wish to prevail in the end, and who I hate or like (or both) among the characters.

Xrlderek
Tue, 09-11-2012, 07:22 AM
Thanks a bunch.. I've read all translated VNs I've found interesting(might have to get desperate enough to try learning japanese soon) and am running out of detailed story stuff, this could fill that role for a while. I'm at volume 4-5 in SAO I think, sort of getting slower and a bit worse but still pretty good.. Just finished volume 1 of Utsuro no Hako, I am confused but very intrigued.. reminds me of Umineko but I'm liking it more so far. Without spoiling, can you say if there is deep foreshadowing or if you are supposed to be able to think up further answers? Might be worth enabling my brain and trying to think about each chapter carefully if it really is that good.. Lol.. reminds me of an important theme from Umineko: "You are only able to look for answers if it is confirmed to you that there absolutely is an answer? So weak" or something like that.(nonspoiler, just a frequent topic when Ryuukishi decides to bash the laziest of his readers(probably me)) Well I just finished volume 1 and from looking at chapter structure it looks like the other ones might be different so I guess I'll see. Great recommendation though.

Interested in Baccano too, might rewatch the anime before trying that one(good/bad idea?).

shinta|hikari
Tue, 09-11-2012, 07:31 AM
Utsuro has a ton of clues to allow you to figure out what is happening and all twists have proper background and foreshadowing. There is also good character development, particularly for the protagonist, in the next volumes. The mystery about boxes and whatnot are gradually revealed as the story continues.

Thank you for reading it. I hope it encourages the other LN readers here to give it a try. Let's discuss after you have caught up to the last translated volume.

Rewatching Baccano may be a good idea. It will help you put a face and voice to the numerous characters, which can be a bit tough to keep track of at first without the anime details helping you out. All characters are awesome and well fleshed out though, with some of them being absolutely lovable (Chane!!! Claire!!! Ennis!!! Huey!!!) and some absolutely despicable. The 16th century chapters I particularly liked, but that is mostly because I can relate to the protagonist of the novels.

Munsu
Wed, 04-17-2019, 10:49 AM
Doing a 7 year necro here.

So, I've "recently" dipped my toes on reading Light Novels, mostly because we're now seemingly getting a lot more official translations and also epub versions of fan translations, and now with my trusty Kindle Fire I can delve a bit more into this industry.

So curious if you guys can (whomever is still around) do an updated list of what they've have read and more importantly recommend?

I think the only series I've been reading have been Overlord, Goblin Slayer, DaiMachi (and Oratoria). Just now I began reading The Magic in this Other World is Too Far Behind! and also plan on reading the Slime one soon. Also got that Utsuro no Hako, Zero no Maria, though it seems like official translations will be finished with the series at a later date this year, so going to wait for that.

But will give a look when I can to others mentioned in this thread so far, but wondering what new ones you guys can suggest.

Kinda want to read the sequels to Legend of Legendary Heroes, but always heard complaints about the translations. Crossing fingers someone licenses them (though I know even if they do, it'll be a while for them to get done).

shinta|hikari
Wed, 04-17-2019, 12:21 PM
Try the following:
86 (https://www.novelupdates.com/series/86/)
Annals of Veight (https://j-novel.club/c/m-rchen-der-werwolf-the-annals-of-veight-volume-1-part-1)
Archdemon's Dilemma (https://j-novel.club/s/an-archdemon-s-dilemma-how-to-love-your-slave-elf-bride/search?curFilter=%7B%22order%22%3A%22title+ASC%22% 2C%22keyword%22%3A%22%22%2C%22type%22%3A%22Novel%2 2%7D&curModel=series)
Grimgar (https://j-novel.club/s/grimar-of-fantasy-and-ash/search?curFilter=%7B%22order%22%3A%22title+ASC%22% 2C%22keyword%22%3A%22%22%2C%22type%22%3A%22Novel%2 2%7D&curModel=series)
SAO Progressive

Munsu
Wed, 04-17-2019, 12:53 PM
Nice, the first 3 are ones I hadn't heard before, so will check it out.

Grimgar already have it on my list.

Just stumbled upon these ones, do you have any opinions on them if you've checked them out?

Dungeon Defense
Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation
So I'm a Spider, So What?

David75
Wed, 04-17-2019, 01:26 PM
For the slime one it seems the translation gets quite unreadble and I had to stop. I wonder if it's just me...

Munsu
Wed, 04-17-2019, 01:48 PM
For the slime one it seems the translation gets quite unreadble and I had to stop. I wonder if it's just me...

Assume you mean fan translations? Official ones seems to go up to volume 4. Volume 5 looks to be released this month, and 2 more later this year.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 04-17-2019, 11:23 PM
Just stumbled upon these ones, do you have any opinions on them if you've checked them out?

Dungeon Defense
Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation
So I'm a Spider, So What?

The 1st two ones don't have LN adaptations yet, AFAIK. I've read all of Dungeon Defense, and it's great. A bit crazy and shifts tone all over the place but gripping and fresh at the same time. Mushoku Tensei is a novel everyone praises the hell out of, but it's more of a super long saga of a semi-OP isekai protagonist. The main reason it's revered is because it covers such a long time span, including his grandchildren, I think.

Kumo I haven't read and don't have enough info about, except that the protagonist is female.

Munsu
Wed, 04-17-2019, 11:51 PM
The 1st two ones don't have LN adaptations yet, AFAIK. I've read all of Dungeon Defense, and it's great. A bit crazy and shifts tone all over the place but gripping and fresh at the same time. Mushoku Tensei is a novel everyone praises the hell out of, but it's more of a super long saga of a semi-OP isekai protagonist. The main reason it's revered is because it covers such a long time span, including his grandchildren, I think.

Kumo I haven't read and don't have enough info about, except that the protagonist is female.

Looks like the first volme of Mushoku Tensei light novel just came out a few weeks ago:

http://www.sevenseasentertainment.com/series/mushoku-tensei-jobless-reincarnation-light-novel/

As for Dungeon Defense, looks like it's a Korean novel? Is it the equivalent of Web Novels for the Japanese market?

Anyways, began reading Der Werwolf, so far so good.

David75
Thu, 04-18-2019, 11:10 AM
Assume you mean fan translations? Official ones seems to go up to volume 4. Volume 5 looks to be released this month, and 2 more later this year.
Must be the reason yes. thanks.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 04-18-2019, 02:14 PM
As for Dungeon Defense, looks like it's a Korean novel? Is it the equivalent of Web Novels for the Japanese market?

Yes.

And werewolf only gets better. Weakest volume is the 1st.

Munsu
Mon, 05-27-2019, 05:56 PM
An Update:

So I'm a Spider, So What? - Really like it. First 2 or so novels are heavy on level grinding, but things are picking up. I love the main character's voice. Looks like an anime adaptation is coming.

Der Werwolf - Read the 3 volumes, enjoyed it. I personally liked the first volume more than the rest because it was somewhat refreshing. The other two volumes didn't live up to what I was expecting it seems, but still decent read. Fourth volume should be coming out soon if not mistaken.

Archdemon's Dilemma - I've only read the 1st volume, and honestly didn't care for it. Does it get any better? I guess everything came off as too silly.

Arifureta - Objectively, one of the better Isekai series, damn good protagonist in my opinion. His charm decreases as the series goes on though, it also suffers from too much harem intervention. Anime coming up, which can be great if they don't focus too much on the harem aspects. The action can potentially be quite brutal.

The Magic in this Other World is Too Far Behind! - This one I'm enjoying also, has a pretty good protagonist. Has some harem in it, but honestly it's not taking much away from the story... yet.

Other series recommendations, not mentioned in this thread yet, would be welcome, particularly if they have official translations out (not a requirement though).

Kraco
Wed, 05-29-2019, 03:44 PM
So I'm a Spider, So What? | Arifureta | The Magic in this Other World is Too Far Behind!

I've read what's out of the manga of Kumo desu ga and Arifureta. They are both fairly interesting, with Spider retaining perhaps more of the initial drive. It feels like Arifureta has lost some of its way, though, which often happens to series with an angry protagonist. I'm looking forward to anime.

With Magic too far behind, I read what the fantranslator had time to translate of the novels before it was licensed. It was quite good, and didn't show terribly much degeneration over the volumes I could read, although of course it couldn't avoid it entirely. The characters remained interesting, at least.

I don't really read that many light novels, though. I have read a few xianxia novels instead.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 05-29-2019, 08:16 PM
Archdemon's Dilemma will get better in all other aspects except the silliness of the romance and family concepts.

86 is a must read.

Grimgar becomes shit in the last few books. They jumped into too many random worlds now...

Amagi Brilliant Park is reportedly hilarious.

Konosuba is amazing comedy. The latest translated book made me die from laughing several times.

Do you buy the physical or digital books? Or do you just download them?

Munsu
Thu, 05-30-2019, 12:05 AM
Archdemon's Dilemma will get better in all other aspects except the silliness of the romance and family concepts.

86 is a must read.

Grimgar becomes shit in the last few books. They jumped into too many random worlds now...

Amagi Brilliant Park is reportedly hilarious.

Konosuba is amazing comedy. The latest translated book made me die from laughing several times.

Do you buy the physical or digital books? Or do you just download them?

If I buy it's physical, else I download.

I'm more into action types (fantasy). Just began the Faraway Paladin and quite like it, but have only read 1.5 novels.

86 I'm just waiting until more volumes are released, and Grimgar I'm just waiting for the right mood for it.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 05-30-2019, 08:52 AM
Infinite Dendogram is very highly regarded, but it's an MMO story. That said, it is practically fantasy when they are in game, with lots of action.

Munsu
Thu, 05-30-2019, 10:33 PM
Infinite Dendogram is very highly regarded, but it's an MMO story. That said, it is practically fantasy when they are in game, with lots of action.

I saw a recommendation for it a day or so ago, so good to get some confirmation. And I was right, volume 4 of Der Wolf came out a few days ago.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 05-31-2019, 08:49 AM
I read Veight from Jnovel directly, so I'm already on the 5th volume.

Munsu
Fri, 05-31-2019, 09:38 AM
I read Veight from Jnovel directly, so I'm already on the 5th volume.

Oh, now I see that they release in parts before the official full publication. I wouldn't be able to read it that way, I need to read the full thing in one go.

KrayZ33
Fri, 05-31-2019, 02:23 PM
@shinta

at which novel does the world hopping start in Grimgar? I've bought the first few, didn't read them yet. But I've heard of the world travel stuff. I actually thought it doesn't happen so frequently though

How many novels are there in english right now, 14?

shinta|hikari
Fri, 05-31-2019, 02:38 PM
They've been to 3 other worlds aside from Alterna, but the worst offender is in the latest translated book, which introduces a whole new set of world rules.

The 14th volume is currently being translated at JNovel.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 06-03-2019, 02:25 PM
Try Defeating the Demon Lord's a Cinch (If You've Got a Ringer).

The main character is a priest and fights with a mace. Also, he isn't the hero summoned to the other world.

Munsu
Mon, 06-03-2019, 09:47 PM
Try Defeating the Demon Lord's a Cinch (If You've Got a Ringer).

The main character is a priest and fights with a mace. Also, he isn't the hero summoned to the other world.

I'll give it a look, thanks.

Munsu
Thu, 06-06-2019, 01:09 PM
Read the first novel of Defeating the Demon Lord's a Cinch (If You've Got a Ringer), and honestly, I loved it. Main characters voice is really good and some of the fights are good reads, and he can be quite badass at times.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 06-06-2019, 02:04 PM
Just finished the third volume, and it was hilarious. He is really bad ass.

Munsu
Thu, 06-06-2019, 04:46 PM
Just finished the third volume, and it was hilarious. He is really bad ass.

It was a quick read, so I'll catch up soon.

Munsu
Mon, 06-10-2019, 08:44 PM
All caught up with Defeating the Demon Lord, and certainly a pleasant surprise. More like it please.

Anyways, J-Novel is now releasing Crest of the Stars, and this one is certainly one I'm really looking forward to. Going to wait until all 3 volumes are out before reading it, and then hopefully Banner of the Stars... which is my main interest, to go beyond what the anime adapted.

https://j-novel.club/s/crest-of-the-stars

Munsu
Sat, 07-06-2019, 12:58 PM
Update on what I've been reading:

The Unwanted Undead Adventurer - After Overlord, well having a Skeleton MC isn't fresh, but early on I was into it, particularly how the character started evolving. But from there, not much has happened to really interest me. More of a slice of life series all told. Read 4 volumes.

Skeleton Knight in Another World - Again, another Skeleton MC, but quite enjoying this one. I admit, didn't care much for the 2nd volume, but the first one was quite good for my tastes. It has potential to have some very good battles, but so far they've been holding back. There's a decent back story to the world, with political drama and all that which adds to it. So in all, a decent read so far.

Reincarnated as a Sword - This one reminds me a lot of So I'm a Spider, So What?, and also liking it so far. The two MCs are quite likable.

Just read a few chapters of Infinite Dendrogram, and I can already tell why this series is well liked, so I have high expectations for it now.

Munsu
Sat, 12-19-2020, 01:53 AM
Well, a little update of what I've read worth mentioning:

Infinite Dendrogram - I've quite enjoyed it, a shame about the anime adaptation. Only watched the first episode, but could already tell it was going to be bad.

The Death Mage Who Doesn’t Want a Fourth Time - Really love this one, no official translation yet, and from what I can tell I'm reading the WN version, not sure how much difference it has from the LN version in Japan.

My Instant Death Ability is So Overpowered, No One in This Other World Stands a Chance Against Me! - This one seemed like another from the bunch so I ignored it, but saw a couple of reviews that convinced me otherwise and I'm glad they did. I haven't read it, just watched the anime, but it gives me a lot of the Konosuba vibe. Plus within its ridiculousness, plenty of action and unforgiving violence.

Record of Wortenia War - Another one I'm loving, mostly because of the violence and political maneuverings. We got a Gary Stu through and through, but I don't mind it. Also reads a bit more mature than the rest of what I'm reading. Novels are quite short, so an easy read in the end.

The Eminence in Shadow - Still unsure about how I feel about this one, I know many seem to like it and I can honestly say it's fun, just not entirely convinced on the story's gimmick.

Reign of the Seven Spellblades - Only read the first volume, and wasn't caring for it... then bang! An awesome final chapter that should change how this series moves forward, was worth reading for that alone with the hope that the rest of the series delivers on what this specific chapter promises.

Have a few more, but I think that's enough for now.