PDA

View Full Version : Glare or matte laptop screens

Kraco
Wed, 06-01-2011, 04:15 PM
I'm on the verge of getting a laptop after years of not possessing one, but unfortunately I discovered, like many have before me, that manufacturers these days seem to only ship laptops with glossy screens, not matte, with the exceptions of Lenovo and a few select business oriented models from other makers.

Glossy screens are said to display colours and contrast much better, but every time I've seen them, they seem to be full of nasty reflections from all over the place. So, am I just prejudiced and would I get used to a glossy screen?

David75
Wed, 06-01-2011, 11:33 PM
You really have to do with it, reflections really are a pain in the ass.

Animeniax
Thu, 06-02-2011, 12:08 AM
I have a glossy screen and I love it. Reflections aren't bad except in certain lighting conditions. Considering it's what's on most laptops these days, there's not much to do about it. You could get one of these:http://www.shop3m.com/98044006546.html

http://site.innovationestore.com/images/enlarged.php?id=98044006546

It has a reversible matte and glossy side, as well as providing screen privacy.

Kraco
Thu, 06-02-2011, 02:18 AM
I actually browsed through a few sites offering anti-glare films, because it indeed seems I'd need to get a Lenovo if I wanted an anti-glare screen from the get-go, but Lenovo wasn't really my first choice otherwise. So, the other viable alternative was to get a standard glossy screen laptop to experience if it's intolerable and if it is, apply such a film on it afterwards. Although 3M wasn't my primary interest due to their price being three times that of the other film makers...

Animeniax
Thu, 06-02-2011, 02:20 AM
I think it's because their film is primarily for privacy purposes. From the side, you can't see much of anything on the screen, to keep wandering eyes off your business.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 06-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Yeah, it's one of the things you'll have to deal with Kraco.

Like monitor manufacturers adopting the 16:9 ratio and not making 16:10 ratio ones anymore.