PDA

View Full Version : Powerlevel

Archangel
Sun, 05-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Posting some /a/ faggotry i randomly found

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/208/1306689076447.png (http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/208/1306689076447.png)

I don't necessarily agree with some of the scoring ( like, you have to buy manga to rank? That's bull... ) but what the hell, should be fun to compete on this a little.

I'm 19700 with 12500 from stored anime alone.

PS: Lets add 500 for every figurine or anime related memorabilia

shinta|hikari
Sun, 05-29-2011, 03:44 PM
Why does the scoring for watched shows stop at 200+? I would think that exceeding that number warrants an greater increase in points. I've watched more than 5x as much but I still get the same number of points so it's a bit unfair.

The buying manga is bullshit too. Also, why is it limited to only 200? It doesn't even have a plus sign. I don't buy manga, so no points for me there.

Anyway, I tried counting mine and got 25150, 15000 is from stored anime (I delete 80% of the shows I watch).

So I am super mega ultra hardcore. Nothing new.

Kraco
Sun, 05-29-2011, 03:52 PM
That whole system is flawed when you get over the top score with archived anime alone. While archiving at all, or considerably, should grant some extra points, in the end it's nothing but data storage technology after a certain point, not anything to do with being an otaku (unless it makes you a computer otaku).

Buying manga, or buying anything relevant, is a huge thing in my opinion because it means you spend your hard earned cash in the hobby.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 05-29-2011, 04:07 PM
Buying should warrant bonuses, but should not be the base for points. In the manga section, the entire thing requires you to buy manga or you don't score anything. There are so many anime/manga that are still untranslated officially, so making buying a condition significantly narrows the scope.

I agree about the archiving. It should have lower points, like 100 per 50gb, not 500. It still matters though since it takes up disk space or dvds, which also cost money.

I also think the anime watched or manga read section should be extended, up to maybe 1000+, with a considerably higher score awarded as it goes up (just like how it jumps from 1000 to 3000 in the 100 and 200 ranges). This should be the focus in fact, since how can you be an anime otaku without watching anime? It also shows how much time you devote to the hobby.

Xelbair
Sun, 05-29-2011, 04:10 PM
i've scored 16600, if i include fact that i've bought few mangas, and store them on my shelf along with my books.

Kraco
Sun, 05-29-2011, 04:21 PM
Buying should warrant bonuses, but should not be the base for points. In the manga section, the entire thing requires you to buy manga or you don't score anything.

Right, I never calculated past the anime archive and thus only glanced at the manga section, so I didn't notice only bought manga gives points. That clearly makes no sense whatsoever.

Archangel
Sun, 05-29-2011, 04:29 PM
lrn2read Kraco, i posted on that as well

Kraco
Sun, 05-29-2011, 04:55 PM
lrn2read Kraco, i posted on that as well

Since you never buy anything at all, I just ignored any sentence you typed with the word "buy" in it as biased. Nothing personal.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 05-29-2011, 05:51 PM
I got so irked by that test I made my own.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g310/shinta617/GWpowerlevel.jpg (http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g310/shinta617/GWpowerlevel.jpg)

Sorry to borrow the forum name, but the ratings are somewhat GW related so I thought it was apt. Please tell me if you want any changes, and I'll edit it.

The points might be a bit generous. If you guys think so as well, I will edit it.

I scored 25670.

Archangel
Sun, 05-29-2011, 06:28 PM
I was thinking of doing that as well but didn't have the will, good show old chap

I think 50 per figure is way too little, those things are expensive and utterly useless. I say 250 a piece.

I don't think having a girlfriend should subtract from my otaku powerlevel either, if we go down that road there are way too many variables for this sort of list. Just add, don't subtract.

Can i post this on /a/? Can you?

Edit: Oh, and shouldn't hating real women be in the thousands? That's like giving up in the real world, Keima style.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 05-29-2011, 07:25 PM
The girlfriend thing is a little joke about Otaku being lonely sad creatures. The whole test thing shouldn't be too serious so I thought it would be a nice addition.

I think I will boost the figure to 150, then reduce the manga to 20 a book, since those are pretty cheap compared to DVDs/BDs or figures. Plastic models will be boosted to 100. I'm trying to keep it proportional in terms of price, in consideration of Kraco's cost = value idea.

I don't want to give too much points to purchases though. That would make the test too elitist.

I will follow your other suggestions then repost it.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g310/shinta617/GWpowerlevelv2.jpg (http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g310/shinta617/GWpowerlevelv2.jpg)

I think we need more rank names. Maybe 3 more to stuff in between the existing ones. Suggestions are welcome.

Once it is finalized, you can post it anywhere you want, Arch.

Latest updates: I changed the points per GB for archiving. I realized it is much harder to get high GBs with manga and pics so I changed it accordingly.

MFauli
Sun, 05-29-2011, 07:25 PM
lol, I´m a 9500. Scouter destroyed!11 Could be higher, but it would be too much guessing, so I took the lower option if I wasnt sure.

oyabun
Sun, 05-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Lol I'm at 12100. We need more level/rank!!

EDIT: Shinta, I just realized PedoBear is in your sig. A very nice addition I might say.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 05-29-2011, 08:12 PM
You're aware you misspelled the thread title right?

shinta|hikari
Sun, 05-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Latest version:

Just a link to avoid stretching the thread.

GW powerlevel (http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g310/shinta617/powerlevel.jpg)

I think all that is left is more ranks.

RyougaZell
Sun, 05-29-2011, 11:22 PM
Okay... using the one Archie posted I scored...

(where 15000 is from stored anime and 5000 from manga bought... heck One Piece, Naruto and Negima alone are over 130 volumes... and I got fairy tail, hack, skip beat, bakuman, etc)

And using Shinta's version I get...

*ejem*

(where 8000 is from manga bought... I have over 400 volumes among english, spanish and european volumes... and 2 chinese...; and 33000 comes from figure collection... got 220 to be exact... prize and size doesn't matter right? got over 120 from Naruto gashapon whereas I got 65 1/7 figures)

shinta|hikari
Sun, 05-29-2011, 11:36 PM
Gashapon don't count. Figures are given that many points because they are expensive. 1/7 figs count. Even minus that you get 35950, impressive.

You spend a lot of money on otaku goods. Indeed more than a god but less than a human.

RyougaZell
Sun, 05-29-2011, 11:47 PM
I revised the number leaving all out Gashapons and several not-so-expensive figures so it reduces from 33000 to 9750 counting only my One Piece Portrait of Pirates, K-ON, Haruhi, Saber, Railgun, Persona, Geass, Dizzy, Valkyria Chronicles and Black Rock Shooter. I'm counting a mini-Nendoroid of Noel Vermillion since she costed 60 dlls though...

So my new number is about 30700

Don't know how to count the manga though Shinta. Of the 400 (aprox) volumes I'm counting, 200 are American version (10 to 15 dlls most of them) vs 200 Mexican version (about 5 to 8 dlls each). They count the same?

And heck... if you had counted videogames (over a 100 games...)

My number is just too big thanks to manga and figures...

shinta|hikari
Sun, 05-29-2011, 11:59 PM
You counted the manga right. I didn't want to count games since games aren't necessarily fueled by being an anime/manga otaku. A gaming otaku might get a huge score if we recognized that.

Still, 30700 is very impressive.

Kraco
Mon, 05-30-2011, 02:21 AM
I'll have to calculate mine later using Shinta's version, when I have all the info at hand. But if this is made public at large, like Archie suggested, I think the score scale should have some uber values added after 20k. Probably at every 10k (or so). Otherwise the larger-than-life otaku getting unbelievable scores will be disappointed by achieving nothing special.

Belial
Mon, 05-30-2011, 02:24 AM
got a lot of dvd's (used to burn them like crazy when i started watching)... don't feel like counting them but let's say around 200 (and counting that each has 4 gb, tho some have more some less)

a little suggestion on anime titles watched... it should be episodes watched, because someone who has watched only let's say DBZ, naruto, bleach and One Piece has watched over 1.5k episodes and only gets 500 points, while someone who watches 12 ep anime gets 1500 if he watched the same amount

anyways 258 fully watched shows, don't think i break 400 if i count things i am still watching / dropped after a few episodes, so won't count them

don't listen to a anime soundtracks per say, but i listen to a couple of opening / ending songs and lilium (elfen lied opening) has been my mobile phone ringtone for some time so gonna give myself +500 here anyways

so by some rough calculations around 7500 ... i don't have over nine thousand!!! :(

p.s. you should get +1501 for bothering to take this test :P

shinta|hikari
Mon, 05-30-2011, 02:43 AM
Otherwise the larger-than-life otaku getting unbelievable scores will be disappointed by achieving nothing special.
How is the title of god nothing special? I think it would be pretty hard to get 20k+ or more without spending a lot of time or money or both.

Still, adding beyond godlike ranks is easy. We just need to come up with cool sounding rank names for 25, 30, 35 and 40k. I doubt anyone would go beyond that.

@Belial - Episodes are not a good measure. Watching a ton of naruto or bleach does not make you more of an otaku. If anything, it just limits you to a certain genre. Watching many 12 ep shows may be time better spent as an anime fan, since it exposes you to more things. Also, I don't want filler crap to be credited in any way, so titles over episodes is the way to go.

Kraco
Mon, 05-30-2011, 04:05 AM
How is the title of god nothing special? I think it would be pretty hard to get 20k+ or more without spending a lot of time or money or both.

Zell just got over 30k already, with his compromising "counting only" method. I think there must be much more outrageous collectors and fans out there. I merely meant that if someone gets over 30k or even 35k, he might feel disappointed being still the same as 20ks, who probably are plentiful if you go to a place with real no-lifers. Although I still haven't been able to count my own score to get a realistic view of how high the 20k actually is.

RyougaZell
Mon, 05-30-2011, 09:02 AM
And I only scored big because each of my 1/7 figures scored 150 each... but I scored big 0's on moe blog, knowing songs, knowing seiyuus and the like... <___<

Add another 4 figures to the count btw... I about to pay for Saber Alter, Ritsu Tainaka, Saten Ruiko and Perona (one piece) <__<

Penner
Mon, 05-30-2011, 10:28 AM
I don't even know what this thread is really about, every time i tried reading a post i got distracted by shinta's awesome sig.

Death BOO Z
Mon, 05-30-2011, 11:55 AM
normal mode:around 14K, basing it on having 400GB archived anime (say... 250ish titles?) and having read 100 mangas (was I supposed to keep count?) most of the lost points come from the fact I don't give a crap about anime music or moe garbage.

GWmode:.. around the same. probably for the same reasons, being that I don't listen to anime music and own lots of plastic.

suggestions:
first of all, I think a GB of manga should count more than a GB of anime.
(edit: oh, I didn't see the new version)
for the ranks: "filler trash", "Shonen heart cliche child'" at the low end (above Kubo). top score should be around 50K or percentile based. and we need a webpage that does the all the calculation by itself.

new entires and revisions:
+1000 for every year as an anime watcher
+250 for each convention attended, 500 for every cosplay or being involved in running the convention (retailer, operator, volunteer), up to having a x10 multiplier. (no double credit for cosplaying and working at the convention).
+1000 if you actually had a speaking role (in an event, or as part of the organization that made the convention).

+100 for every anime t-shirt you own, another extra 100 if you wear it in public (non-anime community activities)
+500 for every academic paper you wrote about anime (up to 5000), an extra +500 if you actually handed it over (not counting if the class was about animation or japan)

+200 for having an anime character as an avatar in non anime\gaming\media community.
+2000 for having an anime picture as facebook profile.

+50 for every series you've both saw the anime and read the manga (up to 5000 bonus).
+0(zero) for every manga writer name you know.
+10 for every title they wrote you know of.
+50 for every title you read of each manga writer past the first one (it doesn't count if you read only one thing made by each mangaka)

most episodes watched in 24 hours
10 episodes: 250
20 episodes: 750
30 episodes: 1500
40 episodes: 2500
50 episodes: 3500
60 episodes: 5000

special bonuses:

+100 for every VHS tape (rightfully bought or bootlegged) you own.

+50 for making an 'abridged series'
+1950 if some actually watched it.

+100 for every IRL friend you've made through anime (friend: someone you've spent time to meet without any anime-related excuse).
+1000 if you've met someone (girlfriend\boyfriend) in an anime related activity.
+3000 if she\he was your first girlfriend\boyfriend.
+5000 if you two are still together.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 05-30-2011, 12:10 PM
The latest version has better weighing on the anime/manga/pics GBs.

Years as an anime watcher do not reflect how much of an otaku you are, just how long.
I think a fixed bonus on regular convention attending is better, but I already inserted the girlfriend joke so I'll keep that as is.
I like the idea of having a bonus as an organizer. That shows dedication. I'll add it in later.
I like the t-shirt idea, just not as a cumulative bonus. I think it is only worth it if you wear it in public, so only that will have points.
Academic papers are pointless if not submitted. I think a fixed bonus of having ever submitted one can be added. I'll think about it. Seems a little too serious compared to the others.
I like the facebook idea, but maybe not facebook only, but any social networking site. I don't have a facebook account, and I don't like promoting it either.

Your other suggestions are a bit too complex and would turn off people from answering. The girlfriend thing is taking the idea a bit too far.

Most episodes watched in a day is not a good idea. People will get tons of points just for marathoning shows. I know a lot of people who are not really big anime fans but still marathon shows (anime or not) for an entire day.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 05-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Version 3 with the stuff mentioned by other posters incorporated. I lengthened the power level to 30k as Kraco suggested. If they go way beyond that, then I guess they really are beyond god.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g310/shinta617/powerlevelv3.jpg

I still need about 7-10 rank titles to fill the spaces.

I now have 30700 points due to the additional questions suggested by the other posters.

Archangel
Mon, 05-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Rank it by every 5000 to make it uniform, with the exception of over 9000

- Closet otaku

- Mob character

- Otaku

- Fap artist

- Pantsu thief

- Forever alone

I'm not set on any of those except the last one, over 30000 should totally be foreveralone.jpg

Ryllharu
Mon, 05-30-2011, 03:15 PM
On the latest revision, using conservative estimates (I'm not about to count individual burned dvd gigs):

Total: 21724.

Though I still think figurines (1/8 scale or larger) should be worth more than 150 a piece. Displaying them is way more hardcore than having watched several hundred gigs of anime and manga which is tucked away on a hard drive. Not to mention that most of them are 4 times the cost of a purchased R1 DVD. Having just one figurine out it enough for someone to brand you as an otaku for life.

Archangel
Mon, 05-30-2011, 03:20 PM
That was kinda my point at first, aren't figurines and love pillows the crown jewel of the otaku kingdom?

shinta|hikari
Mon, 05-30-2011, 03:23 PM
Fap artist and Pantsu thief don't seem otaku exclusive so I didn't use them. I left Whitebeard in because the ranks need a gotwoot touch. I followed your suggestion on making it uniform, except for the 2nd highest one. I thought that it was apt because of the italicized challenge text for the test.

GW Power Level final version (http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g310/shinta617/powerlevelfinal.jpg)

So going beyond godlike only results in solitude. How Madoka.

Since this should be the final version, please feel free to post it anywhere.

Archangel
Mon, 05-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Kimoi and Kami sound kinda weeboo dude, i just with you'd change those 2.

Even changing them to english would be better.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 05-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Isn't that the point of using those?

Archangel
Mon, 05-30-2011, 04:00 PM
Meh.... at that level you're so far beyond weeboo that it doesn't make sense to use it anymore

shinta|hikari
Mon, 05-30-2011, 04:08 PM
I can change Kami to God, but Kimoi needs to be Japanese to make sense. "Disgusting" does not complete the reference. If I do that, only Kimoi would be left in Japanese, so I opted to keep both like that.

Kami is also a good reference to TWGOK, so I think it's fine as is.

Archangel
Mon, 05-30-2011, 04:26 PM
Switch Kimoi to Keima and remove the Kami? I'd like to add a little distance between Kami-nii-sama and forever alone

RyougaZell
Mon, 05-30-2011, 04:43 PM
I sense a conspiracy <___<

Ryllharu
Mon, 05-30-2011, 05:19 PM
"Disgusting" does not complete the reference.
I'm not following. In precisely what way does it not complete the reference?

If you phrase it that way, you absolutely look like a one of those kids that hangs out in the bookstore reading the manga on the floor next to the shelves and shouting out random Japanese phrases that makes no sense because they're all out of context.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 05-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Because "Kimoi" is a popular way to negatively describe otaku in Japan.

Disgusting does not have the same connotation in English.

I don't even understand what your 2nd paragraph means.

Ryllharu
Mon, 05-30-2011, 06:03 PM
"Disgusting." (deadpan tone) and "Kimoi." are not as different as you'd like to imagine.

The 2nd paragraph was calling you a weeaboo without saying "weeaboo." Throw in random Japanese terms when it is appropriate, as in when there is no English analog (honorifics, lexicon terms...there's really not much else). Other usage tends to make you look like a...weeaboo for lack of a better term.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 05-30-2011, 06:19 PM
I don't think deadpan tone translates well in text...

They are not as similar as you'd like to imagine either. Otaku will get the "Kimoi" reference (and that is the target audience of the test). That won't happen with disgusting.

And like I said, the whole point of using Kimoi is to make it sound weeaboo.

Sapphire
Mon, 05-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Does having an Orochimaru fetish or wanting to marry Itachi count as an anime related fetish?

PS - I feel like a female otaku version must be made!

shinta|hikari
Mon, 05-30-2011, 07:43 PM
On the first one, if there is sexual attraction involved, then yes I guess? I was thinking more on stuff like underarm fetish, petanko fetish, etc. I don't think wanting to marry Itachi counts though.

If you actually love Orochimaru, you get more points in the loving an anime character question.

Janice
Mon, 05-30-2011, 07:45 PM
You should add a fansubber and scanlator option.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 05-30-2011, 08:08 PM
I didn't think about that.

Should I? For how many points?

Sapphire
Mon, 05-30-2011, 08:39 PM
I know someone who is actually making an anime. Do we have a "learned Japanese because of anime beginner/intermediate/fluent" option?

shinta|hikari
Mon, 05-30-2011, 08:51 PM
Nope. I'm not sure if I should add it. The test is getting pretty full already, and that question assumes that the person does not know Japanese in the 1st place. There are a lot of Japanese otaku after all.

Archangel
Sun, 06-05-2011, 10:29 AM
The chart did alright on /a/

http://green-oval.net/cgi-board.pl/a/thread/50249176

I removed your and gotwoot's name though, 4chan's attention is something one should always try to avoid

shinta|hikari
Sun, 06-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Thanks for that. I didn't realize it would be a bad idea to leave it in.

Archangel
Sun, 06-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Well generally it wouldn't, we should always strive to keep the forums alive and stuff like this is a great way to do just that. However, i don't think we've grown quite so desperate as to crave the attention from internet cancer.

You should post the original in some other forums you frequent though, to get the word out.

Kraco
Mon, 06-06-2011, 03:39 AM
I thought I'd get more, but I only got 12640, using conservative calculation, like not counting bought discs but rather the titles (since a series can have a whole bunch of individual dvds). But then again, I pretty much only scored from the direct watching/buying/archiving anime and manga section, getting zeros from elsewhere. I don't even visit conventions anymore, because last time I did, I felt like an ancient relic in the middle of the 14-15 years old mob and felt like a pedo every time I walked past some 13 years old cosplayer girl in a revealing outfit.

I'd say this power level meter was constructed quite successfully, all in all.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 06-06-2011, 09:11 AM
What is Gaia? I saw it mentioned for the powerlevel thread in /a/ quite a bit.

RyougaZell
Mon, 06-06-2011, 02:40 PM
I assumed they were referring to Gaia Online

Archangel
Mon, 06-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Zell got it, it's a haven of underaged weebos

RyougaZell
Mon, 06-06-2011, 04:07 PM
I used to log there back in 2003 when it was starting. I stopped logging when it went to hell a while after. I still have several 'rare items' that I could probably sell on ebay for a good price...hmmm. I tried logging a while ago and... it gave me a headache. It was worse than I remembered. I actually cringe to remember I used to post there...

Archangel
Sat, 06-25-2011, 06:11 PM
Lets mix it up a bit, choose 3 of these stereotypes which best describe your animu fan persona

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/2646/1309037367562.jpg (http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/2646/1309037367562.jpg)

Sapphire
Sat, 06-25-2011, 06:14 PM
18 all the way.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 06-25-2011, 06:32 PM
OMG 18.

I was in that exact same position when I was reading that. The only difference is I have a laptop instead of a desktop.

Sapphire
Sat, 06-25-2011, 06:48 PM
Me too!!!!!!!!!

darkshadow
Sat, 06-25-2011, 07:46 PM
N/A >_>.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 06-25-2011, 08:14 PM
N/A = 5...

darkshadow
Sun, 06-26-2011, 12:40 AM
No N/A == N/A, how hard is it to understand that? I don't care what the hell people think, if you(ppl) are going to be condescending or look down on something I like, you can kindly go fuck yourself ;].
My type simply isn't on that list.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 06-26-2011, 12:42 AM
I was joking. Take it easy.

David75
Sun, 06-26-2011, 02:40 AM
For obvious reasons, 6 :D

Xelbair
Sun, 06-26-2011, 03:52 AM
2 and 18 all the way, especially 2 unfortunately.. i have trend to be a typical smartass when it comes to anime.