PDA

View Full Version : Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-17-2011, 07:28 AM
(We Still Don`t Know the Name of the Flower We Saw That Day)

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7374/anohana.jpg

Description: Once, there was a group of close childhood friends. Something happened between them one day, and before they entered high school, they had grown apart from each other. One of them shows up before to the leader of their group, asking him to fulfill her wish. She doesn't remember the details of it, but somehow knows that all of them must be together to grant it.

Genres: Drama, Coming of Age, Tragedy, Angst, Nostalgia
Links: AniDB (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=8181), ANN (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=12368), Official Page (http://www.anohana.jp/)

[UTW] Ano Hana - 01 [720p] (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=206487)
[gg] Ano Hi Mita Hana... - 01 [720p] (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=206372)
[Doki] Ano Hi Mita Hana... - 01v2 [720p] (http://doki.co/torrents/Doki_Ano_Hi_Mita_Hana_no_Namae_o_Bokutachi_wa_Shir anai._-_01v2_1280x720_h264%20AAC_873DEF6A.mkv.torrent)
[Ayako-Delight]Ano Hi Mita Hana... - 01 [720p] (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=206867)

Stick with UTW, they seem to be the best of the lot.

-----------------

If you're looking for a strong drama this season, this appears to be one to definitely pick up.

I really liked the character design of this series for some reason. The three guys gave off a look of "realistic normal" for some reason. One got fat and scruffy, one is a slacker, and the other looks clean cut. It's kind of hard to describe, but it added some additional depth to their personalities in support/contrast to what glimpses we got of them.

The girls are similar in that way too. One of them is very clean cut and responsible too, but from how little they showed, she's hiding something underneath that. The red-head reminds me of character designs from Umetsu Yasuomi (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=creator&creatorid=1953), which is awesome. The third is a bit generic, but slightly immature appearance matches her personality perfectly.

What really surprised me about this show is how much subtle character development they crammed into it. The first episode alone had love polygons (Anaru -> Jin-tan -> <- Menma <- Yukiatsu <- Tsuruko : by my estimates), major plot and character development, and plenty of unconfirmed things to speculate and guess about. Of course it was totally obvious that Menma was dead from the first scene, but they didn't really try to pretend it was a surprise to anyone (she knew it from the start too), which I thought was a nice touch.

Strong first episode, strong cast, good animation, excellent plot/character development. This is one I'm sticking with for sure.

Inazuma
Sun, 04-17-2011, 10:46 AM
That shit shook me up. Call me a pussy if you want but this show really works.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 04-17-2011, 04:06 PM
You're a pussy.

And apparently, I am too.

David75
Sun, 04-17-2011, 11:35 PM
I did not tune to that episode. So I didn't feel anything particular.
I do admit the setting, the way things flow and even the characters are all well executed.
So I'll see what ep 2 tells me.

RyougaZell
Mon, 04-18-2011, 09:50 PM
You're a pussy.

And apparently, I am too.

Count me third.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-18-2011, 09:54 PM
No one cares for a third pussy.

Unless of course, you're a guy. But we only have pussies so far.

Ryllharu
Fri, 04-22-2011, 08:10 AM
[UTW] Ano Hana - 02 [720p] (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=208198)

-----------------

I really like characters like Naruko. Not just because she's hot and for whatever reason I find her bouncy pigtails extremely attractive. I always have a fondness (maybe sympathy) for characters who got burned emotionally, then try to kill their feelings off but are still the same no matter what they project. It's more than something so easy to classify as tsundere or kuudere, it's about the reason they became that way.

Naruko effects that rather well. She tried to see if Jinta liked Menma in that way, and got burned twice over for it. His reaction all but confirmed her fears, and then Menma's uncharacteristic reaction to his words somehow lead to her death. So she blames herself for Menma's death, and out of guilt or whatever, distanced herself from the rest of her friends, and tried to kill off her feelings for Jinta. Of course that doesn't really work, as we saw in the game store, when she visited him in the first episode, laying on her bed, and when he and Poppo came over to play PokeNokemon. Deep down, she still likes Jinta a great deal, and she hasn't really changed at all, no matter what kind of "sluts" she hangs out with or what person she pretends to be.

The other things I enjoyed greatly about this episode were the awards on the wall at Jinta's and Menma's reaction to Naruko. I might be interpreting those wrong, but it looks like Jinta was pretty smart, and would probably be a quick learner if he went back to school like Naruko wants. It sounds like he was also a shoe-in to get into the elite academy that Yukiatsu and Tsuruko attend, but failed and went to the reject school...and so did Naruko. Hmm...

Menma's reaction to Naruko was interesting as well. Usually in these ghost kind of series, they remain oblivious. Menma knows quite well that her presence (or mention since only Jinta can see her) causes Naruko to get sad. I think she knew back when they were kids as much as she knows now that Naruko loved Jinta, perhaps even more than Menma did. They were rivals, and I'm pretty sure both of them knew it. Menma is not nearly as air-headed, childish and dumb as she comes off. I think she was more mature than many of the others even when she was alive. Definitely a surprise for this kind of series.

Lastly...Yukiatsu, totally a creeper. I wonder exactly how much he knows about Menma's death.

RyougaZell
Fri, 04-22-2011, 08:23 PM
I beleive Naruko must have purposely failed the exam of the school Yukiatsu and Tsuruko attend... in order to follow Jinta. Heck... after seeing how she organized all her things from her childhood... I don't quite beleive she wasn't smart enough for the 'elite academy' as the others.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 04-25-2011, 07:03 AM
I beleive Naruko must have purposely failed the exam of the school Yukiatsu and Tsuruko attend... in order to follow Jinta. Heck... after seeing how she organized all her things from her childhood... I don't quite beleive she wasn't smart enough for the 'elite academy' as the others.

I don't think space organisation and intelligence come hand in hand. I know of too many cases where that's failed and plenty of the opposites too for it to be any sort of general rule.

Lastly...Yukiatsu, totally a creeper.

Came right out of the left, that one, even if the guy was a bit uptight about things.

MFauli
Mon, 04-25-2011, 08:40 AM
im dling first ep right now, but kinda ot-question: is that proper, legitimate Japanese? The title, I mean. Ive never seen the subject and sub-words like "mada" being put in-between the "o" and the verb. Should be "Bokutachi wa mada ano hi mita hana o shiranai". At keast imo :P

RyougaZell
Fri, 05-06-2011, 08:37 PM
UTW Ep 03 720p (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=210130)
UTW Ep 03 480 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=210145)
UTW Ep 04v0 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=211936)

WTF!

shinta|hikari
Fri, 05-06-2011, 10:00 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA.

I hope he gets shamed forever and never gets a chance to redeem himself.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-06-2011, 10:07 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA.

I hope he gets shamed forever and never gets a chance to redeem himself.

I'm not that hateful towards him yet. I hated him before, yeah, but if this is the peak of his douchebaggery at 4 episodes in, he's still got 8 episodes to (try to) fix it all up. Never redeeming himself would be bad since staying together is Menma's wish (or at least one of them).

I always thought Yukiatsu had the small chibi-dress from when Menma was little, but if he's got the adult one (too?)...does he have a collection or something?!

shinta|hikari
Fri, 05-06-2011, 11:40 PM
I hate him. The only character I hate as much as him is Suzaku, and I didn't hate Suzaku as much in the end. I guess this means he has his chance of redemption even for me, but that can only take him so far as moderately hated character.

I really hate people who pick on others (in this case insult and disparage) for things they themselves do (even worse in fact). Hypocrites.

Idealistic
Sat, 05-07-2011, 03:33 AM
Blah, can't say I like the way things turned out in ep 4, mainly because of Yukiatsu. I was expecting it to be really true that he can also see Menma, but yeah..... I also hate him as well. Not because he picks on Jin, but the fact that he dresses up like Menma and runs around to fool people. Who the hell does that?! lol.

I like the interactions with Jin and Naruko in this ep. I'm also starting to like Tsuruko as well.

RyougaZell
Sat, 05-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Blah, can't say I like the way things turned out in ep 4, mainly because of Yukiatsu. I was expecting it to be really true that he can also see Menma, but yeah..... .

From the start it was obvious he was lying. Not sure why you expected HIM to be able to see her first. While I hope everybody eventually sees her... he hasn't done anything significant to guarantee he can see her already.

Ryllharu
Sun, 05-08-2011, 05:50 AM
At least we know that Jinta isn't completely insane. Even if Yukiatsu was faking it, Poppo also experienced a more typical manifestation of a ghost, just like Naruko did. Menma jumps on them, and they feel something for sure, they just don't want to believe it's a ghost. She can poltergeist too though, but that behavior only shows up when Jinta is alone...so maybe he's not 100% sane either. Otherwise she could just do it around the others to prove that she's still around and Jinta hasn't been lying.

I might dislike Yukiatsu for being a vindictive ass to Jinta (it must have been obvious to him then that Menma liked Jinta instead of him), but I don't know if I can hate him just yet. He's got a lot of explaining to do to everyone (though Tsuruko seems to known already).

They focused on the ribbon of her dress a number of times in this episode, but when Tsuruko was sketching her memory of Menma, why was the ribbon red instead of blue?

shinta|hikari
Sun, 05-08-2011, 01:21 PM
I think Menma can move objects even when in the presence of other people. She made those pastries when Jinta was out of the house, so it can't be that Jinta made them himself in his insanity, unless the show is really trying to fool viewers by twisting even the reality that is displayed onscreen.

I think there is a condition for her to manifest. It might just be that she cannot do it as efficiently if those present reject her existence.

David75
Sun, 05-08-2011, 01:52 PM
I guess that mani of you know that the ED song is from ZONE.
Here's the original one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPYdIHiVNWg

I also like the SCANDAL cover version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Metbl5XNUQ

Somehow, the anime version does not work so well with me, too short and probably lacks a bit of nostalgia/sadness to it.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Of the three versions, SCANDAL would have to be my least favourite because the vocalist sings this in a way that sounds "hard". It becomes the most apparent when they end their phrases...

Might just be personal preference, since I always thought SCANDAL's vocalist was better for fast songs anyway.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 05-08-2011, 09:11 PM
I like the anime version. Makes me feel sadder.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Since then, I've downloaded like... 5 versions of that long, lol.

UTW - Episode 05 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=213523)

shinta|hikari
Fri, 05-13-2011, 04:31 PM
I knew they are going to pull this redemption crap. It's too little too late for me. You can't act all nice and tsundere AFTER being exposed.

I'm starting to like twin tails. She looks really cute when troubled. I hope this story ends with Jinta and her getting together.

Did they explain how Menma died before? Everyone seems to want to take responsibility for her death. I wonder how it actually happened. I found Jinta's jealousy over Yukiatsu's obsession with Menma really stupid. Are they competing on who can be the biggest loser due to unwarranted self blame?

Ryllharu
Fri, 05-13-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm almost positive Menma fell and drowned in the river. This was pretty clear from when Naruko slipped while they were chasing after Yukiatsu last episode and Jinta nearly had a panic attack. They also occasionally flashback to a shot of her sandal caught on a rock by the water's edge.

In addition, I wouldn't be so quick to say they are "redeeming" Yukiatsu. As Tsuruko said, he's rotten to the core, if you drain out all the pus, there might not be anything left. He's been kind of a dick since they were kids. This isn't going to change right away. There really aren't that many innocents in this series:

- Naruko is a liar (to herself and to others) and is very easily influenced by others. She's afraid to show her own personality. She may be doing it to fit in with whoever is around her. It's hard to tell what she is really like.
- Yukiatsu is just a dick. I also suspect that he be less interested in what he wants, and more interested in what Jinta has. He went after Menma despite suspecting that she liked Jinta more, and now he's hitting on Naruko because he knows she still likes Jinta. He is extremely resentful of the fact that Jinta was their leader, and has often brought up that Jinta, "isn't their leader anymore."
- Tsuruko might be the worst of all. She knows a great deal more than she's letting on. She's extremely secretive, and seems to enjoy throwing out barbs whenever she can.
- Jinta is, and always has been, a coward. He has always been afraid of admitting the truth.

Poppo and Menma might really be the only two "innocents" in the series. Both are good-hearted and do their best to make others happy. They both lack a little in the sensitivity department, but they're earnest enough.

Naruko is definitely my favorite though. I've liked her since she first appeared, and it's only been getting better.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 05-13-2011, 07:33 PM
The crying and saving scenes are attempts at redeeming Yukiatsu. The first is to gain sympathy, and the second to give an illusion of righteousness. Just imagine how despicable he would be by now if you omit those.

RyougaZell
Fri, 05-13-2011, 08:23 PM
RandomC did try to classify the characters like this last week.

Anaru is Envy (envious of Menma), Jinta is Wrath (hates everyone), Poppo is Sloth (the weakest sin, is too carefree), Yukiatsu is Lust/Gluttony/Greed (a triple whammy, self-explanatory), and Tsuruko is Pride (not much is known about her, but she certainly sees herself as above everyone in terms of the Menma issue, hence pride)

shinta|hikari
Fri, 05-13-2011, 09:06 PM
That's not very accurate.

Yukiatsu is more like envy. Jinta is not angry at anyone but himself maybe. Poppo is sloth? A guy who travels the world while getting the funds from working part time. Really? Anaru is envious, but so is half the cast in the show.

Do you really think Tsuruko sees herself as above everyone else? I personally don't think so. Those who act with most pride are actually the ones who have the least of it.

That is a very forced comparison. I think the characters are more complex than what that analogy allows.

Ryllharu
Sat, 05-14-2011, 04:01 AM
I haven't really been to RandomC since Divine took over aside from the seasonal previews, but the comparison can be made...if they changed a few.

I can see Tsuruko as Pride. She may not see herself above everyone else, but she certainly sees everyone else beneath her. She seems to really dislike Naruko, even if she does like Yukiatsu, she seemed the happiest when she was hinting to others at his activity.

Jinta is more Sloth than Wrath, but he has aspects of both. Yukiatsu is definitely Envy/Greed. Poppo might be Gluttony/Greed, he wants to see Menma really badly and enjoy time with friends again, and sometimes he does it so eagerly that it hurts others. I suppose that would leave Naruko with Lust, and it fits in a way, because longing for love and a sense of belonging causes her to take on whatever hobbies and personality traits of the people near her. I'm not sure if that's her personality (I know lots of people, male and female, who are like that), or if she's just can't stand being alone and becomes nostalgic for the time she spent with the Super Peace Busters, finding the next group that comes along.

I can work, but as shinta said, it's a bit too simplistic for what the series has shown us.

David75
Sat, 05-14-2011, 07:44 AM
And what if Yukiatsu was in fact after Jinta from the beggining?

Menma's death might be due to falling hard, rather than drowning, the water doesn't seem to be high at all, at least where the shoe shot was.

Regarding the positive feeling we get from Poppo, I think it is suspect. Also his life seclueded from society, traveling around the world, seems like he's trying to escape from himself. He also has his dark side, it just didn't clearly show yet.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-14-2011, 07:54 AM
- Tsuruko might be the worst of all. She knows a great deal more than she's letting on. She's extremely secretive, and seems to enjoy throwing out barbs whenever she can.

Talk about it. I don't know what worse here, crossdressing or drawing the crossdresser. I like Anaru, but I don't like the twintails. Even if she's acting cute and all, that hairstyle just holds it back a bit.

In terms of being a dick, it's always been a tie between Tsuruko and Yukiatsu for me. Sure, Yukiatsu's a TOTAL dick towards Jinta, but Tsuruko's a general asshole prick with her words at everyone else. At least with Yukiatsu you can see that he's got some issue behind it and all. Tsuruko just acts like it's natural for her.

Chibi-Anaru's (probably) the best.

edit:

And what if Yukiatsu was in fact after Jinta from the beggining?

huh?

David75
Sat, 05-14-2011, 08:50 AM
Well, he's still a teenager and crossdresses for other reasons than carnival or pure fun.
The moment he cries with his tears falling on Jinta was full of Yoi vibes, wasn't it?

If I just try to follow that idea, then him asking Menma was a reaction of jealousy or trying to be like any other boy loving girls or whatever. Same thing happening with Naruko years after.

I know it is quite a weak idea ;)

Ryllharu
Sat, 05-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Tsuruko's a general asshole prick with her words at everyone else. At least with Yukiatsu you can see that he's got some issue behind it and all. Tsuruko just acts like it's natural for her.
I think you've got a point, it might very well be natural for her. During the flashback to the event that Jinta, Yukiatsu and Naruko all blame themselves for causing Menma's death, Naruko asks Jinta because she wants to know, he tries to avoid it, and then Yukiatsu presses Jinta because he also has incentive to know. Poppo goads him as well because he's the youngest and is piling on.

Then, still rather coldly, Tsuruko tells them to, "stop it already," in a tone that implies she already knows. I wouldn't say it was in a peacemaking tone because of the expression on her face. It's exasperation.

At first I had thought she too might have some reason for becoming different from how she used to be, but perhaps she's always been like this.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-20-2011, 09:50 AM
UTW - Episode 06 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=215089)

Ryllharu
Fri, 05-20-2011, 05:01 PM
I was a bit surprised that none of the three came to the conclusion that maybe they shouldn't go to Menma's house because it will only cause her family more pain. I thought that was exactly what Jinta was thinking when he started to get hesitant and brought up the fact that none of them had ever been to her house before.

Frankly, I was shocked that Jinta only realized it when Menma got upset. Even if he was right about her laughing everything off and never thinking about herself, she was right too.

Even if the thing that Tsuruko remembered (Menma called them out there that day to ask advice about something) is revealed by the diary they got from her house and it gets them to the next step of fulfilling her wish...Menma was right. The three of them should not have gone there, particularly because they had never been there before. I imagine it hurt her mother a great deal that they only come to pay their respects now. Jinta saw it on Menma's mother's face for sure.

Also, Naruko is so hot. That is all.

RyougaZell
Fri, 05-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Indeed. Naruko is hot. Enough said.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-20-2011, 09:41 PM
Also, Naruko is so hot. That is all.

Indeed.

My one of my favourite aspects of this series is how much it highlights how 2-faced people are. Not hypocritically (though that may well be the case sometimes), but just how different people's inner thoughts can be compared to their outward appearance. . You have Anjou's flusterring type and the scheming ones, but everything else in between is shown as well.

In any case, Anjou aside, I want to see what warrants the Menma Stare. It must be something significant.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-27-2011, 09:05 AM
UTW - Episode 07 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=216898)

shinta|hikari
Fri, 05-27-2011, 09:27 AM
I love Anal Anaru.

animus
Fri, 05-27-2011, 01:27 PM
I'm confused about the ending. Did I just hear the mother call Menma "onee-chan"? I know the word for daughter is musume, but is there another one?

shinta|hikari
Fri, 05-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Not sure if I heard that, but it is perfectly valid. Within a family, the members can call each other by their roles, like when a father calls the mother Okaa-chan, or when a parent refers to an older brother as onii-san. Menma is an older sister so it is correct.

The mother is more torn up about this than I thought. I assumed it was only grief from the loss, but it seems she has resentment towards those who were with Menma at that time as well.

Ryllharu
Fri, 05-27-2011, 04:56 PM
The mother is more torn up about this than I thought. I assumed it was only grief from the loss, but it seems she has resentment towards those who were with Menma at that time as well.
I don't know if I would go so far as to call it resentment. From what we saw early on, Menma's mother is suffering from grief rather badly. Menma's father and brother have moved on a bit, but her mother hasn't really. She performs an offering and prays every day.

As I said earlier, I think she's only upset because Menma's friends only care now. They didn't visit Menma's home back then (because they were afraid of Menma's father), and worse, they spent all their time chasing Jinta's mother. They didn't even come to visit Memna's memorial after she died. Now they come back and make everything raw again. From her point of view, it may make them look callous. It may look like they're doing it out of something they want, and not so much for Menma. Menma's dead, so how could it possibly help or mean anything to her now?

As she said at the end of the episode, it seems like a joke.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 05-27-2011, 06:01 PM
It was much harsher in Japanese.

It should probably be more like "Don't joke with me."

Honestly, when I heard it I felt a chill, a yandere chill.

RyougaZell
Fri, 05-27-2011, 07:46 PM
Not sure if I heard that, but it is perfectly valid. Within a family, the members can call each other by their roles, like when a father calls the mother Okaa-chan, or when a parent refers to an older brother as onii-san. Menma is an older sister so it is correct.

Ah... I had the same question. Thanks for explaining it Shinta. It makes sense.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 06-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Latest episode comments:

That was one resentful mother. Her reason for hating them is even worse than I thought. Just because they survived, and her child did not? Talk about misplaced blame.

Did Anaru just miss the flag? She could have waited until Menma was gone before she confessed. She would have had a much better chance then. Still, I believe that she will end up with Jintan eventually, simply because no other candidates exist. It would be too tragic for both of them if they stay heartbroken in the end.

Yukiatsu is a fucking jerk. Jintan should have beaten the shit out of him. What now? Shouldn't they apologize to Jintan after Menma proved her existence? Yukiatsu should be licking the dirt off Jintan's shoe for his actions.

Marik
Fri, 06-03-2011, 11:02 AM
[UTW] Ano Hana - 08 - 720p: Torrent (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=218577) | DDL (http://www.fileserve.com/file/sedu7jm)
[UTW] Ano Hana - 08 - avi: Torrent (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=218589) | DDL (http://www.fileserve.com/file/BeCUARa)

RyougaZell
Fri, 06-03-2011, 10:23 PM
Wow... what a powerful ending of an episode.

I agree with Shintan... I mean Shinta. The mother's anger is very misplaced... it definitely hurts to lose a family member... but to blame those left behind? Its sick. Menma's little brother even confirmed she stays in her house always... she's basically an adult NEET.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 06-04-2011, 01:59 AM
Wow... what a powerful ending of an episode.

I agree with Shintan... I mean Shinta. The mother's anger is very misplaced... it definitely hurts to lose a family member... but to blame those left behind? Its sick. Menma's little brother even confirmed she stays in her house always... she's basically an adult NEET.

While the blame is "misplaced", I don't see it as being "out of place" considering how we saw the family interact with each other last time Menma went to check up on them. It's mainly a different version of the Why did it have to be her!? mentality. While as a parent I'm sure they know other would have gone through the same pain, but again as a parent none of them would have opted for their own child to be the sacrifice.

A parent who has gotten over their child's death would understand and accept the first part - but suffice to say that dear mother hasn't. I would call her "sick" in the more literal sense. She's probably clinically diagnosable with major depression at least.

I think the crying scenes didn't have their maximum effect on me. Firstly, Anaru's one wasn't that sad so to speak. Then we had Jinta's one (3rd after Anaru and the mother), to which I had "wow, they're having everybody crying today". I didn't quite understand Menma's reason for crying. Not knowing what the reference was about may have played a part too.

The ending hit home though. (and so did the pony tail!!)

Ryllharu
Sat, 06-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Did Anaru just miss the flag? She could have waited until Menma was gone before she confessed. She would have had a much better chance then. Still, I believe that she will end up with Jintan eventually, simply because no other candidates exist. It would be too tragic for both of them if they stay heartbroken in the end.
I'm sorry, but this part of your post shows how shallowly you're viewing this part of the story.

Naruko got burned in every possible way that day. For her own childhood romance interests, she asked if Jinta likes Menma, and while she initially felt better, she got the confirmation she feared. Then it also led to Menma's death. In her eyes, everything that has gone wrong these past years is her fault. Worse, while it went unsaid, she has had to live with the knowledge that Menma's death made her feel better. She no longer had a rival, she could be the victor after all. Jump to today, and she has to witness Jinta destroying himself for Menma, so while we may know it's not that simply, Naruko sees the situation as Jinta still loving Menma, enough that he'll pretend she came back. She's seeing his devotion to Menma even now, while she has nothing.

She can't just wait it out. She's seeing Jinta's love for Menma only grow stronger for some reason. She's seeing herself losing to a memory.

...and no, as much as I would like it, they do not have to get together in the end. Not every series has to have a fairy tale ending, with Naruko and Jinta, Yukiatsu and Tsuruko, Poppo and his hand. Naruko knows how much he loves Menma even now, and now that Menma has proved her existence, it only makes things worse for her. Now she knows that Menma loves him back, even after death.

Yukiatsu is a fucking jerk. Jintan should have beaten the shit out of him. What now? Shouldn't they apologize to Jintan after Menma proved her existence? Yukiatsu should be licking the dirt off Jintan's shoe for his actions.

As for Yukiatsu, Jinta is the one who deserved a beating. Tsuruko and Naruko both started agreeing with Yukiatsu, and they were right to do so. Menma saved Jinta, but until that moment, he had every right to take it out on Jinta. His reaction was justified. It is Jinta's fault that Menma's mother is suffering again by him bringing this up. Tsuruko noticed that much. It looked like Jinta was making the phone calls, none of them believed in ghosts until then. Being the only one who can see or hear her, he can say pretty much whatever he wants. While he revealed a little confidential tidbit here and there, it's not like he couldn't have found that out that information from someone else. Yukiatsu and Menma are the the only ones who are supposed to know about the hairclip, but who is the one who wears it at her desk each night? (Tsuruko.)

Now that Menma has proved her existence, little has changed. There were many things Jinta could have done before this to prove he wasn't just making this all up. Menma has been able to poltergeist for a while now. He only had to ask her. He could have asked her for more secret knowledge. He could have told them that the strange weight on their shoulders was Menma. But Jinta wasn't sure that he believed she was real, even with her making messes and baking while he was gone. Yukiatsu was 100% justified in wanting to take it out on Jinta. "He's" been making everyone relive Menma's death and suffer all over again, and for what? Yukiatsu has been particularly hurt by this, because of how much he loved Menma.

He could apologize, but he doesn't have to. It will still hurt him that Menma chose Jinta, the same way it will hurt Naruko.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 06-04-2011, 09:36 AM
[she has had to live with the knowledge that Menma's death made her feel better.

I disagree.

She's told us that she's been feeling bad all along. It was only when Jinta denied he liked Menma as a kid that she felt better. As soon as he ran off, when Menma died, up until now, she's been feeling guilty that it was all her fault. She did not for once feel good that Menma died.

As for Jinta being the one at fault for rekindling the pain for Menma's mother, I also disagree. He was the one to tell everybody that he can see Menma, but I don't see any fault at that. He was never the one to suggest that they should all crash at Menma's place. If he has a fault in this matter, it's that he did not have enough resolve to tell everybody to stop.

Ryllharu
Sat, 06-04-2011, 10:06 AM
She's told us that she's been feeling bad all along. It was only when Jinta denied he liked Menma as a kid that she felt better. As soon as he ran off, when Menma died, up until now, she's been feeling guilty that it was all her fault. She did not for once feel good that Menma died. We're going to have to disagree then. She remembers how she felt at that moment every time she thinks about Menma and that day. The feeling and Menma's death are tied together. I don't see how she couldn't connect that thought and realize her rival was gone. She may despise herself for it, but there is no way she can't feel some level of relief.

As for Jinta being the one at fault for rekindling the pain for Menma's mother, I also disagree. He was the one to tell everybody that he can see Menma, but I don't see any fault at that. He was never the one to suggest that they should all crash at Menma's place. If he has a fault in this matter, it's that he did not have enough resolve to tell everybody to stop.His inaction at those two scenes isn't any different from outright approving it. He knew it was wrong before they went, confirmed he had been wrong after he brought it up to Menma, and then he even allowed a second time to occur, but with everyone this time, making it worse. Despite knowing it was a mistake, and that it would hurt Menma and her mother more.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 06-04-2011, 10:28 AM
I see the trip to visit Menma's mum as a collective "let's go" thing, and not solely Jinta's fault like everybody made it out to be.

"You told us you could see Menma, so everything that's happened up till now was your fault!!"

shinta|hikari
Sat, 06-04-2011, 02:28 PM
I wonder how much influence Menma can have on reality? She was able to write and drop the diary, but only when no one was looking. Will she be able to lift things and make them float when people's attention are on her? So far, it has only happened with Jinta.

If she can manifest at any time, it makes me wonder why she did not try to prove her existence before when the others were doubting Jinta.

Marik
Fri, 06-10-2011, 03:57 PM
[UTW] Ano Hana - 09 - 720p: Torrent (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=220157) | DDL (http://www.fileserve.com/file/9Wb8UJb)
[UTW] Ano Hana - 09 - XviD: Torrent (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=220266) | DDL (http://www.fileserve.com/file/aqwg4ZJ)

Buffalobiian
Sat, 06-11-2011, 07:23 AM
Even though the title suggests that Menma wanted to know the name of the flower she saw that day, by the end of the episode I couldn't help but think that her wish was to get her thongs back...

David75
Sat, 06-11-2011, 04:24 PM
I admitt I was in a little angst when Menma was like falling in the water and the scene after that where Jin-tan anxiously searches for her.

Marik
Wed, 06-15-2011, 06:11 AM
[Shin-S] Ano Hana - OP Single - Aoi Shiori [Galileo Galilei]: Torrent (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=221286) | DDL (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I5ICDTLS)

oyabun
Wed, 06-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks, I've been waiting for this one. Anyone knows who is the girl in singing in the 2nd verse?

Marik
Wed, 06-15-2011, 09:59 PM
Anyone knows who is the girl in singing in the 2nd verse?

It's Chima. (http://www.myspace.com/cihma) Her official site is here. (http://www.chima-chinchikurin.com/news_2.html)

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-17-2011, 11:45 AM
UTW - Episode 10 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=221730)

animus
Fri, 06-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Best part of the episode was when the younger brother (Satoshi) owned the mom.

RyougaZell
Fri, 06-17-2011, 09:02 PM
It was kinda obvious she wouldn't go after that... but I expected everyone to be able to see her then =/

How many episodes left?

Marik
Fri, 06-17-2011, 09:13 PM
It's a noitaminA show, so only one episode left.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-17-2011, 11:26 PM
So.. final theory:

My wish is to know the name of the flower we saw that day, because that's what I want to be when I reincarnate, and I want (need?) Jinta to know that.

Menma probably died trying to get such a flower along the river.

oyabun
Thu, 06-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Just finished watching it. A very emotional ending as expected. It took all my strength to hold my tears and I was watching it here in my work so I can't be seen crying lol.

RyougaZell
Fri, 06-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Im not ashamed to admit it. I did cry a bit.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 06-24-2011, 09:44 PM
If someone watched this and didn't at least tear up, they would be the odd ones.

animus
Sat, 06-25-2011, 12:21 AM
Great series. Shame it was so short. But I guess it was so impactful because of it's length. And I did tear a bit. I was expecting to bawl out though since I can cry pretty easy from sob stories usually.

Marik
Sun, 06-26-2011, 06:05 AM
[UTW] Ano Hana - 11 - 720p: Torrent (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=223771) | DDL (http://www.fileserve.com/file/h5cBZcB)
[UTW] Ano Hana - 11 - XviD: Torrent (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=223783) | DDL (http://www.fileserve.com/file/RCqZEKP)

Buffalobiian
Sun, 06-26-2011, 08:47 AM
If someone watched this and didn't at least tear up, they would be the odd ones.

I am an odd one out then (though my body and mind are a little numbed at the moment.. so perhaps..).

I thought the way they started acting all together again right at the beginning (the shoulder hug thing and the bit before it) felt a bit forced, but that's my only complaint.

Best of all, my guess was completely off.

Ryllharu
Sun, 06-26-2011, 05:36 PM
The only thing I felt was really forced and cheapened it a little for me was at the end of the scene where they were all admitting their own selfish reasons for wanting to fulfill the wish, Poppo went nuts and then started bawling. For apparently no reason at all, Tsuruko and Naruko also started sobbing in sync, and Yukiatsu started tearing up as well. That just really ruined Poppo's whole admission. That scene would have been far more powerful if they had all simply stared at Poppo. The two girls already went through their own tearful admissions. The scene felt cheesy instead.

All in all, great series.

Inazuma
Wed, 07-06-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm glad this aired.

I'll just say that.

MFauli
Mon, 01-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Just finished watching the last episode. What I loved most about this show was how it presented a "not perfect"-future. When near the beginning it was made obvious that Jintan turned into a Hikkikomori, even when he was this bright, cheerful leader in the past, I knew that this anime would be one to watch. Well, kinda reminded me of my loser-self, lol :(

However, I think this show could have really gone for a 26-episode lenght. I know, I know, most of these emotional drama-anime are better off with a lower number of episodes, but this one could have been even better with more episodes. Most importantly, we were never really shown how Menma died. Sure, thereīs enough for strong guesses, but still. Then thereīs the rather rushed ending, rushed in terms of how all the characters suddenly accept the surrounding situation. Especially Yukiatsu, who Iīd have expected a stronger reaction, since he was madly in love with Menma. And lastly, the whole development of Jintan could have been fleshed out a lot, showing him more at school, interacting with his father, etc..

That said, itīs fine as is. Definitely an anime worth watching.

Archangel
Tue, 09-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Good show, started slow but the characters felt intricate. The issues felt real from an extremely dramatic perspective, which i think should be expected from the loss of a loved one.

Yeah it's still anime but it managed to deliver its story in a solid manner without cheapening it ( as is usually the rule with these things ).

9/10 would bang.