View Full Version : Hanasaku Iroha

Pages : [1] 2

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-05-2011, 11:21 AM
http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/7606/56008.jpg

Alternative title: 花咲くいろは

Genre: Drama

Animation: P.A. Works

Plot Summary: The story centers around 16-year-old Matsumae Ohana (Itou Kanae (http://myanimelist.net/people/762/Kanae_Itou)), who after a sudden confession and farewell, leaves for her grandmother’s Taisho-era hot spring inn Kissuisou because she’s tired of the city life. She begins working as a waitress and meets a difficult to approach and easily misunderstood chef in training, Tsurugi Minko (Omigawa Chiaki (http://myanimelist.net/people/1760/Chiaki_Omigawa)), a fellow waitress trying to overcome her shyness in front of people, Oshimizu Nako (Toyosaki Aki (http://myanimelist.net/people/599/Aki_Toyosaki)), a rumor and spy-loving head waitress, Wajima Tomoe (Noto Mamiko (http://myanimelist.net/people/40/Mamiko_Noto)), and the daughter of a rival inn, Wakura Yuina (Tomatsu Haruka (http://myanimelist.net/people/890/Haruka_Tomatsu)), among various others as she strives for a more glimmering lifestyle. -RandomC

HorribleSubs - Episode 01 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=203791)

-----------------

First impressions: I really like this show so far. The art and portrayal of the world gives it a slightly surreal feel, yet is rather down to earth and realistic at the same time to make it believable. Character design (both inside and out) works well.

It's a bit like Working!! combined with Spirited Away. The humour comes about more naturally than Working (as does the art and character interactions) but shares a similar ensemble of wacky characters, and seems to carry some of the deeper, coming-of-age themes of Ghibli minus the supernatural/fairy tail aspects.

Looks to be a keeper.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 04-05-2011, 12:21 PM
I loved this. This is really well animated. The movements, the expressions, the scenery are all excellent, especially for this type of show. I just hope it keeps up, since the 1st episode is never really a good basis for the art quality in any series nowadays.

I love the character design for Iroha. Her hair is usually something I would not care for, but it really worked for me here.

I really hate the "die" girl. She is randomly confrontational, and acts like an uneducated brat despite the pride she tries to exude.

MFauli
Tue, 04-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Hmmm...might sound stupid, but can someone come up with a proper reason for why a 25-year old guy should watch a show about a 16-year old girl?

:P

Anyway, the OP makes it sound interesting. Will give it a try after finishing Durararara.

Ryllharu
Tue, 04-05-2011, 01:22 PM
It's been a long time since a series like Iroha aired. No moeblob garbage, just coming of age kind of things and general drama. I think they last series that did this were probably True Tears, Honey and Clover, and ARIA.

I love the character design for Iroha. Her hair is usually something I would not care for, but it really worked for me here.

I really hate the "die" girl. She is randomly confrontational, and acts like an uneducated brat despite the pride she tries to exude.Ohana you mean? I too like her bird's nest fluffy kind of hair. It looks frizzled, yet refreshing and cute.

As for Minko, I disagree. Her personality type isn't random at all. Every single action she displayed during the first episode made perfect sense. She clearly has a dream of becoming a chef, and works tirelessly to fulfill that effort. She grows extra garnishes outside, she neglects her bedroom (and barely sleeps in it) because she's practicing too hard, but even if she's not that great at cutting radishes she listens to her superiors with almost-militant attention.

She hates Ohana because Ohana doesn't have that same devotion toward her work that Minko has, or the unerring deference to customers that her grandmother has. Ohana is just floating around not sure what she wants out of life, and (to Minko) doesn't appear that she cares about anything at all. Ohana can likely cook quite a bit better than Minko can, and I can easily see that becoming another issue.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 04-05-2011, 01:23 PM
@Ryll - Yeah, Ohana.

What I meant by randomly confrontational is that her outbursts are really out of place. Whatever her reason is, Ohana is trying to be nice, and she lashes out at her even in those moments.

@Mfauli - Your question doesn't sound stupid. It is stupid.

What does it matter if it is about a 16-year old girl? The art, delivery, and characters are good.

Kraco
Tue, 04-05-2011, 03:07 PM
This show turned out quite a bit heavier than I expected, with the slaver driver grandmother and other issues. That naturally surprised me positively. Like Ryll said, this looks like a series whose kind don't appear every season.

There wasn't really anything I didn't like. The spectrum of characters was nice and everybody seems to have a clear personality of her/his own, which is a huge plus. The graphics were smooth and pleasant. I'll definitely keep watching if this continues like this and won't turn emo (which I don't expect it to, with that kind of adventurous and unprejudiced main charater). One thing I do hope for is that we will see the confessing dude again.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 04-05-2011, 04:16 PM
I hope we see Ko-chan again, but it seems unlikely since he wasn't shown in the OP and ED, IIRC.

There seems to be some other guy in the train though. Seems a little too tall to be Ko-chan.

Kraco
Tue, 04-05-2011, 04:44 PM
There seems to be some other guy in the train though. Seems a little too tall to be Ko-chan.

Oh, I thought it was him. I must have looked carelessly.

RyougaZell
Tue, 04-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Without doing a deep analysis and all, I just want to say this: Loved it.

animus
Tue, 04-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Didn't like Minchi/Minko. Too abrasive of a personality. It might change later and they'll get all friendly after some event, but until then she grates on the nerves.

Idealistic
Wed, 04-06-2011, 04:22 AM
Very enjoyable 1st episode. I like Minko though, lol. I just find her to be funny when she says "die".

Was that first guy Ohana bumped into while cleaning really her uncle? I find it weird he fell ontop of her and felt her ass.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 04-06-2011, 08:08 AM
Was that first guy Ohana bumped into while cleaning really her uncle? I find it weird he fell ontop of her and felt her ass.

If he says so, I guess he is. I think getting your ass felt is the perfect way of knowing your uncle. Certainly better than after the introduction.

TheBladeChild
Thu, 04-07-2011, 02:41 AM
I gotta say I found this show weirdly charming. I liked Ohana's monologues when ever she came across something unexpected.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-10-2011, 12:17 PM
HorribleSubs - Episode 02 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=205259)

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-10-2011, 07:23 PM
I stand by my statement that Minko isn't randomly confrontational. If anything, she's very simple. I suspected we'd see Ohana out-cooking Minko and setting off another spat, I just didn't think we'd see it so soon. Minko works really, really hard at trying to become a proper ryokan chef, and she's just not all that great. Unsurprisingly, Ohana can cook quite well due to all the practice, which in turn infuriates Minko because she believes that Ohana has no work ethic. Someone who tries as hard as Minko does will of course get nasty when someone easily (from her perspective) outdoes her and undermines all that effort. Last episode, she was pissed off because it seemed like Ohana didn't care and had no pride in her work. I wouldn't be surprised if Minko had to work her ass off to even get a job there.

What did surprise me is exactly how horrible Ohana's mother really was. I thought all the idle chatter about her mother at the inn was rumor and hyperbole, but it seems if anything, they were actually underestimating how terrible a mother Ohana's has been. She forced Ohana to cook since preschool?! A selfish woman to the core, twisting and corrupting her daughter from the start. She taught her daughter to never rely on anyone, and I was a bit appalled that Ohana actually considered taking up flirting with random men/boys as a way out of her current issues.

I really like the art in this series and Ohana did a good deal of growing up just in this episode alone. She actually thinks things through and tries to deal with them. Things don't just resolve themselves on their own either, someone has to act. The characters come off in a realistic manner.

Lastly, I love Tomoe (Mamiko Noto), the experienced waitress. She's very carefree, and reminds me of my favorite character voiced by Mamiko Noto. Mutou Aoi. (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=character&charid=3579)

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-10-2011, 07:37 PM
I agree with everything Ryll's said in the above post. On a side note, it's interesting to notice the similarity in facial features/hair between the mother and grandmother even though they're worlds apart. Was Ohana's mother really such a person from the start, or did she turn that way as an escape from the grandmother's strict authority? Ohana herself tried to rebel a little this episode (lol), while her mother showed that even she had the tiniest bit of consideration for other's feelings in that broccoli scene.

If I had to guess, Mink was writing "I have Ohana" in her bed.

PS: who goes around eating crab while they're running from debt collectors?

shinta|hikari
Sun, 04-10-2011, 07:51 PM
2 episodes in, and I have to say this show is excellent.

Nice call on the cooking issue Ryll.

I still hate Minko though. Simple? I would call that stupid, and absurdly self-absorbed. The only reason she can say those things and act like that towards Ohana is because Ohana is new in the ryokan. Her feelings and actions need some self-control. Saying "Die" to someone deserves a punch in the face IMO. She should keep her insecurity in check and act like she has consideration for others. I can't believe she threw a stupid tantrum just because she was outdone in cooking. I know how it feels because I love to cook as well, and have encountered people who cook better than I do, but I don't get in their face about it. Work harder and get better, that is the way to go.

@Buff - It is precisely that kind of action that puts them in debt in the first place. If anything, I'd say it is expected of her mother. I'd say "die" to her.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-10-2011, 08:09 PM
While the "She can cook better than you" line was the immediate trigger, I saw the actual act of cooking as the main reason behind Minko bolting off. She was already holding herself back when Ohana had the meal prepared. To Minko, that's like saying "you stuffed up, but that's okay because I'll fix it up for you because I'm just that much better than you". She held it back and decided to eat, only to have those last words push her over the edge.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 04-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Why are you guys trying to understand and defend her situation? Many people are placed in much worse situations than Minko (i.e. Ohana), and they don't go around telling people to die. Well, Ohana did, but immediately apologized and took it back.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Understanding and defending are two different things. I see that she's got her personality flaws, but not the world's biggest asshole.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 04-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Yes, that is what I was trying to say. I also understand her feelings, but that is no excuse for her behavior.

I don't think she is the world's biggest asshole either. Anyone who can care that much about cooking can't be a total ass (i.e. Gordon Ramsey).

Kraco
Mon, 04-11-2011, 02:21 AM
Why are you guys trying to understand and defend her situation? Many people are placed in much worse situations than Minko (i.e. Ohana), and they don't go around telling people to die.

It's only a hasty misconception people in worse situations (or from worse backgrounds) would be more rude. In fact, very often the opposite is true. I wouldn't be surprised if Minko was well-off otherwise but has been hitting her head against a wall in the ryokan for a while now, becoming increasingly frustrated. Naturally it doesn't justify attacking Ohana, but it could be psychologically explained in many ways. Besides, in the end she's only hurting herself with her actions, far more than Ohana, who seems to possess so formidable integrity she won't acquire damage from it. But such an attitude, or personality flaw, will hamper Minko's own chances of progress. Fortunately for her, Ohana plans to save her.

But then again, the whole situation of having stiff and cold hierarchy within the staff but fawning over the customers is stereotypical Japanese behavior, so Ohana is something of a rule breaker, I'd say.

(Gordon Ramsey is a total ass.)

David75
Mon, 04-11-2011, 03:06 AM
We have an incredibly Pyramidal social organisation here, not unlike many small businesses and even larger ones.
It works somehow, but everyone fears the ones higher and pass on the fear to those below.

I guess Minko vented some frustration on Ohana, because being the last to enter the ryokan, she's below her in that scheme...

Ohana will probably just change that, in her own way.
I also see Ohana being sucessful at teachning Minko how to cook better with the hard learned skills and work she already has capitalized.

It's strange how everything just happened so quickly. Ohana beign thrown like garbage into hostile ryokan to work as a slave, decides she will do with it, and tries to turn people around, everything so quickly it is quite strange. I do not really see a young teenage girl being able to smash well installed hierarchy quickly and turn it into something better and successful.

fireheart
Mon, 04-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Well the way I see it Minko is taking a lot of crap from that Tohru who seems to constantly knock her down and tell her how crappy her cooking and work in the kitchen is, at least from what we can see and it's not like he was the nicest guy around Ohana when they went out in the car. So Ohana one upping her in cooking and him telling her that Ohana might be better everything belittles her and she takes out her frustration on Ohana because she's new and she didn't really try to defend herself, she's basically just projecting everything onto Ohana to coop with her own situation (Says similar things to Ohana that Tohru says to her). All in all quite a normal action and realistic which also goes hand in hand how Minko didn't have much of a comeback when Ohana confronted her.

It may be stupid but I still find it realistic not everyone can take that much crap from their coworkers and not get that frustration out in one or an other way. I mean people have committed suicide from hearing how bad they are at their work everyday and that they're useless (which is basically what we see Tohru say to Minko all the time), add in the fact that she's basically always working and don't sleep a full 8 hours a day (most likely) and she's likely to blow up in someones face when given the chance. Besides if she could handle her situation without any problem despite getting chewed out constantly I'd find that more unnatural also it wouldn't give that much room for growing up. After all they're still high school kids with the whole coming-of-age theme.

It may not be an excuse but people do this all the time, it's like a parent that gets chewed out at work for a mistake and then yelling at their kid for not putting away one of their toys. Also what would be the ideal thing to do, be quiet and keep working? She lives at the inn meaning she probably don't have a family or not the nicest of families and who knows how much support she has from the coworkers considering Tohru. She's basically alone without support so keeping ones spirit up and keep working hard without letting it all get to you is next to impossible.

Ryllharu
Mon, 04-11-2011, 03:11 PM
@fireheart:

I hadn't thought about it that way, that Minko is taking it out on the new girl the same way that Tohru tears her down, and that makes a lot of sense. As others have said, it wasn't so much that Ohana cooks better than her (she seemed to be enduring that), it's that Tohru made the snide comment about it. Same goes for what you said about her lack of support. She also lives in the inn like Ohana now does, so she may be just as on her own.

It's strange how everything just happened so quickly. Ohana beign thrown like garbage into hostile ryokan to work as a slave, decides she will do with it, and tries to turn people around, everything so quickly it is quite strange. I do not really see a young teenage girl being able to smash well installed hierarchy quickly and turn it into something better and successful.
I wouldn't say that Ohana is going to smash the established hierarchy quickly (her battle axe of a grandmother), but she is certainly going to cut through the cold hostility and find herself a place at the ryokan. Perhaps she even make a budding friendship with her co-workers. Tomoe has already warmed up to her, Nako is just super timid and shy, and Minko can probably be tamed.

I can't say things have happened all that quickly. Even in a new job, it takes a bit before people feel comfortable enough with you as the new person before they start engaging you in their regular interactions. This is the only change Ohana is working on (aside from losing some her negativity and realizing her mother was wrong).

RyougaZell
Mon, 04-11-2011, 08:58 PM
I don't need an extensive analysis to say I don't like Minko. I just don't. Even if she is justified by whatever she has gone through.

Pervert signals on the horizon? Lol

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-11-2011, 10:08 PM
She isn't justified. I think what everyone is saying is that she isn't randomly evil, but her actions still cannot be excused. I personally think she is just weak.

fireheart
Tue, 04-12-2011, 05:14 AM
She isn't justified. I think what everyone is saying is that she isn't randomly evil, but her actions still cannot be excused. I personally think she is just weak.

Well that's the thing you at least seem to hold it against her that she's weak, most people aren't strong enough to handle the kind of situation I described. It's part of what I think makes her realistically human no matter if you like her or not. Similar to what you were saying about her throwing a tantrum over Ohana's cooking and that you understand the feeling, I'm just guessing now but I don't think you know how it feels to love something and really try to improve yourself at it while someone tells you how crappy you are at it everyday nor seen what it can do to people. And even if you don't know you might be strong enough to endure it and come out on top but not everyone can, the amount of help you get here is that they suggest you switch workplaces instead of enduring it.

Guess I've just never understood why people would expect her to be strong and do the right thing when she's just another 16 year old, it feels like it's not allowed to be normal and make mistakes even in anime. Or did everyone else live a perfect life in their teenage years doing nothing but the right thing and persevered through every hardship without getting down nor getting any frustration out in any way?

Don't get me wrong I find her weak as well and think she's in the wrong, I just don't dislike her for it. Guess it's also because I draw parallels with schools where people just ignore problem children when they need help. And through all this I can say I hate people like Tohru, whom I think is far worse than Minko... well Ohanas mom might be worse.

Kraco
Tue, 04-12-2011, 07:50 AM
Or did everyone else live a perfect life in their teenage years doing nothing but the right thing and persevered through every hardship without getting down nor getting any frustration out in any way?

Don't get me wrong I find her weak as well and think she's in the wrong, I just don't dislike her for it.

Normal people are pretty weak. Only a few are strong, especially in the developed countries where your parents provide your food, clothes, and shelter and you don't need to fight for your life every day. In less fortunate places only the strong would survive. However, I personally like to watch anime where the characters are strong in some ways precisely because it's different from the reality.

Anyway, I haven't hated Minko even though I do think she's not justified. I find her interaction with Ohana hilarious: Ohana tries to do something good only to get the stock "die" reaction and is left standing with the dumbfounded expression time after time. Well, maybe my sense of humour is weird...

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-12-2011, 08:21 AM
Anyway, I haven't hated Minko even though I do think she's not justified. I find her interaction with Ohana hilarious: Ohana tries to do something good only to get the stock "die" reaction and is left standing with the dumbfounded expression time after time. Well, maybe my sense of humour is weird...

No no, I find it cute and humorous too.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 04-12-2011, 09:20 AM
I dislike it when weakness drives people to hurt others. Like you said, a lot of people are weak, so I don't think Minko deserves leeway just because she is. If she was just weak and self-destructed, I won't hate her for it.

fireheart
Tue, 04-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Normal people are pretty weak. Only a few are strong, especially in the developed countries where your parents provide your food, clothes, and shelter and you don't need to fight for your life every day. In less fortunate places only the strong would survive. However, I personally like to watch anime where the characters are strong in some ways precisely because it's different from the reality.

That was the whole point of the post that people are weak and that I think it's weird to condemn someone for being so, as I said I draw parallels to schools and think she needs help but like you said Ohana will most likely save her. Well that I can understand that people want to see something different from reality at least.

I dislike it when weakness drives people to hurt others. Like you said, a lot of people are weak, so I don't think Minko deserves leeway just because she is. If she was just weak and self-destructed, I won't hate her for it.

Actually if she was weak and self-destructed that would have been worse imo, at least this way someone (Ohana) will help her though since it's anime it probably would have happened if she self-destructed as well. Anyway I don't think it's just her weakness I mean she does have some legitimate reasons to be angry at Ohana after all. There is the bad first impression Ohana left with destroying her plants, getting her criticized and slapped by the boss and there is some truth to the fact that it's Ohanas fault that the author guy can act as he does and yell at her. You don't just forgive a stranger for those things that fast even if she's in the wrong with her actions towards Ohana.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 04-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Actually if she was weak and self-destructed that would have been worse imo, at least this way someone (Ohana) will help her though since it's anime it probably would have happened if she self-destructed as well.

What I meant about the self-destruction comment is, you shouldn't intentionally hurt others just because you are weak. The alternative was just an example, not an ideal.

You are making judgments based on what might happen in the anime, not on what has happened. The result of Minko's wrong actions to the plot progression should not matter.

Minko has reasons to be angry at Ohana, but those being legitimate are debatable at best. All of Ohana's actions were out of good will, and while that does not absolve her of the negative results of those actions, she also does not deserve the type of animosity being directed towards her. This is even more true in the 2nd episode, when Ohana's actions did not even directly concern Minko. Minko was just jealous that she can't cook as well, and angry that she was compared to Ohana. She should actually be angry at the young chef for his lack of tact, not Ohana.

EDIT: I would also like to add that unlike Kraco, I actually do like weak characters just as much as I like strong ones. I just dislike Minko for being weak and an ass.

From a writing perspective, I think Minko weakness and overall bad attitude serves as an amazing foil to Ohana's absurd strength of character and good intentions. Ohana looks all the more heroic despite her constant blunders when placed beside Minko. If there were only nice and capable characters around, I think that I might not like Ohana so much due to her constant mistakes. The trial posed by the conquering of Minko also allows Ohana to show off her good qualities. So while I am not fond of Minko as a character, I think she is necessary for the story to be as good as it is so far.

Ryllharu
Tue, 04-12-2011, 03:25 PM
What I meant about the self-destruction comment is, you shouldn't intentionally hurt others just because you are weak. The alternative was just an example, not an ideal.

Minko has reasons to be angry at Ohana, but those being legitimate are debatable at best. All of Ohana's actions were out of good will, and while that does not absolve her of the negative results of those actions, she also does not deserve the type of animosity being directed towards her. This is even more true in the 2nd episode, when Ohana's actions did not even directly concern Minko. Minko was just jealous that she can't cook as well, and angry that she was compared to Ohana. She should actually be angry at the young chef for his lack of tact, not Ohana.
You've never met anyone who appears to be miserable and takes it out on everyone? I think that is one of the things that makes Minko such a realistic and strong character thus far. I've known at least a dozen people like that in my lifetime. It doesn't matter whether Ohana's actions were full of good intentions, everlasting love, or selfish desire to fit in. People like Minko as she is now just lash out anyway.

It's not a matter of whether or not Minko's reasons for being angry all the time are legitimate to you, they're legitimate grievances in Minko's mind, evidenced by her taking it out on Ohana in the first place. She's not going to take it out on Tohru because he is her superior. She takes it out on whomever she can.

The only way to fix the attitude of a person like Minko is precisely what Ohana is doing. You be nice to them anyway, over and over and over even if they don't deserve it. Ohana doesn't have that patience, and nearly getting into a car accident and realizing how scary it would be to die set her off, so she's going for her shortcut, which is to feed them food they hate.

I fail to see how this behavior makes Minko undeserving of any leeway over anyone else. It's not a matter of excuses one way or another. Much of Ohana's behavior is equally inexcusable. I find it disgusting that it would somehow be better if Minko was self-destructive in her loathing rather than the simple verbal abuse (and it barely qualifies as that) she's using. It makes it sound like you'd prefer it if she were nearly suicidal or some broken, pitiable KEY-series heroine.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 04-12-2011, 04:16 PM
You've never met anyone who appears to be miserable and takes it out on everyone?

When did I say that? I said I hate people like her, not that I haven't met any of them.

I fail to see how this behavior makes Minko undeserving of any leeway over anyone else.

What I said was Minko should not get more slack than other people. People should be treated equally. Do you disagree?

Much of Ohana's behavior is equally inexcusable.

I disagree. Making stupid mistakes due to being almost too earnest is a far cry from constantly telling someone to "die." This is probably one of the worse ways to verbally attack someone, since it negates their value completely, their existence. Minko also says it like she means it, so that makes it worse.

I find it disgusting that it would somehow be better if Minko was self-destructive in her loathing rather than the simple verbal abuse (and it barely qualifies as that) she's using. It makes it sound like you'd prefer it if she were nearly suicidal or some broken, pitiable KEY-series heroine.

I simply believe that people don't have the right to hurt others just because of their selfish reasons. I don't want to see anyone destroying themselves, but that is better than what Minko is doing, which is hurting others as she hurts herself at the same time. I also see it as more than just "simple verbal abuse" (like I mentioned above), and so does Ohana. She already knew what she said in the truck was terribly wrong even before they almost died in an accident. She was taking it back right after she said it.

Ryllharu
Tue, 04-12-2011, 04:55 PM
What I said was Minko should not get more slack than other people. People should be treated equally. Do you disagree?No, but you seem to. You give Minko no benefit of the doubt while extending limitless pardons to Ohana's behavior.

I disagree. Making stupid mistakes due to being almost too earnest is a far cry from constantly telling someone to "die." This is probably one of the worse ways to verbally attack someone, since it negates their value completely, their existence. Minko also says it like she means it, so that makes it worse....and Ohana isn't tearing up plants the moment she arrives because she dislikes their appearance? She isn't ignoring her timid mentor and going off on her own? Not seeing if something is permissible before she does anything? Those aren't simply "stupid mistakes," those are potentially huge violations in a hospitality-centric business like the ryokan. What if she had injured or killed a customer because she thought Minko's bed was moldy?

Moreover, how do you even know that Minko means it? From the way she reacted when Ohana called her out on it, it looks like the opposite. By the look of surprise and confusion, she never considered anything like that until Ohana stated it. She was using it as a nasty rebuke, little else. The interpretation you put on it comes off extremely bombastic and self-righteous. Minko obviously didn't see it as anything different from calling someone and idiot or moron.

I simply believe that people don't have the right to hurt others just because of their selfish reasons. I don't want to see anyone destroying themselves, but that is better than what Minko is doing, which is hurting others as she hurts herself at the same time. I also see it as more than just "simple verbal abuse" (like I mentioned above), and so does Ohana.She isn't hurting herself at all, she is only lashing out at others whenever she is hurt. It's quite different. If you really think that someone hurting themselves is somehow better than what Minko doesn't think of anything more than an insult, I wonder if you've ever known a cutter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-harm).

shinta|hikari
Tue, 04-12-2011, 05:06 PM
I give Minko the benefit of the doubt. I even said so before, so I'll just quote it:

Yes, that is what I was trying to say. I also understand her feelings, but that is no excuse for her behavior.
I don't think she is the world's biggest asshole either. Anyone who can care that much about cooking can't be a total ass (i.e. Gordon Ramsey).

I just think that from what has been shown in the show, Ohana has clearly good intentions. Minko's we don't know yet, and at the very least they aren't productive.

I also said that Minko says it like she means it. I don't know if she does and I agree that she probably doesn't, but she appears to, and that is what Ohana sees as well. It isn't only my interpretation. It is implied that Ohana saw it like that as well. I personally think that some words should not be said regardless if you mean them in the worst sense (i.e. racial slurs, sexist terms), but that is just me.

I think Kraco stated it well enough when he said that Minko is also hurting herself with what she is doing so I won't add to it. I also think you took the term "self-destructive" to the extreme. Your comparison takes a really bad case of self-destructive behavior and compares it to the best case scenario for verbally wishing another's death. I actually only had self-blame, and light depression in mind when I said self-destructive.

Anyway, I really don't want to argue about this anymore. I think the root of the disagreement is from the negative value I place in the insult "Die," so if you don't see it as much more than saying "idiot" and if you believe Minko is the same, I can accept that. It would certainly better my view of her if that were the case.

animus
Tue, 04-12-2011, 05:59 PM
I don't know about you people, but if someone tells me to die and I'm not friendly enough with them to joke around like that or I just met them, I'd have punched a bitch.

fireheart
Tue, 04-12-2011, 06:28 PM
You are making judgments based on what might happen in the anime, not on what has happened. The result of Minko's wrong actions to the plot progression should not matter.

It's not something that might happen, in my eyes Minko needs a friend or someone that reaches out to her and that's what Ohana have been doing since the first episode and not something that she might do in the future. So I find it quite relevant but like I said Ohana probably would have done it regardless of Minko lashing out or not.

I don't think her good will means she doesn't deserve any animosity but that's not what you said either. But as for the reason being debatable, ruining her plants and getting her in trouble at work and slapped are pretty clear in my eyes. And her actions in the second episode add more fuel to the fire, it's barely been a day since Minko got slapped and a customer is complaining to her because of Ohana so it does directly concern her because she has to deal with the consequences.

So if we count out the fact that she tells Ohana to die (Which I do agree is bad), are the things she tells her justified?

But I do completely agree that she should take it up with Tohru.

Ohana has clearly good intentions.

She deserves credit for trying but as stated in the anime itself with "careless work does nothing but get in the way" or as other says the best of intention can lead to the worst outcomes. But she tries and that's a good thing but more importantly learns from her mistakes which people have pointed out to her. In the end I do agree that people shouldn't hurt others for their own selfish reason and it'd be great if we lived in such a world.

I don't know about you people, but if someone tells me to die and I'm not friendly enough with them to joke around like that or I just met them, I'd have punched a bitch.

I can't remember anyone actually telling me to die so can't comment on it but I probably wouldn't punch the person, it'd be stupid of me to go to jail or pay fines to that person because of it. But mostly likely I wouldn't feel good and be angry if it happened.

Though I still think most people should rage against people like Tohru instead.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 04-12-2011, 09:35 PM
If she didn't tell her to die, and just told her to buzz off or call her a meddling idiot, I wouldn't dislike her nearly as much. I still won't like her though, since there isn't really much to like yet.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 04-18-2011, 08:58 AM
HorribleSubs - Episode 03 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=206999)

RyougaZell
Mon, 04-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Doki Hanasaku Iroha
Ep 01
720 (http://doki.hologfx.com/torrents/Doki_Hanasaku_Iroha_-_01_1280x720_h264_AAC_E7E51F37.mkv.torrent)
480 (http://doki.hologfx.com/torrents/Doki_Hanasaku_Iroha_-_01_848x480_h264_AAC_95161BBA.mkv.torrent)

Ep 02
720 (http://doki.co/torrents/Doki_Hanasaku_Iroha_-_02_1280x720_h264_AAC_736B51C6.mkv.torrent)
480 (http://doki.co/torrents/Doki_Hanasaku_Iroha_-_02_848x480_h264_AAC_DF8923E9.mkv.torrent)

Ep 03
720 (http://doki.co/torrents/Doki_Hanasaku_Iroha_-_03_1280x720_h264_AAC_D76B60A9.mkv.torrent)
480 (http://doki.co/torrents/Doki_Hanasaku_Iroha_-_03_848x480_h264_AAC_CB1AA73B.mkv.torrent)

Episode 3 was available from Doki since almost 12 hours ago... but it was so late that I downloaded it only until this morning.

I must admit the episode took a turn I didn't expect at the start. But it ended being better than I expected as well.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-18-2011, 12:48 PM
It's like they saved up all the fanservice for the first two episodes and poured it all here.

Minko just kept popping out of nowhere in the bath scenes. Was she in between Ohana's legs in her last appearance? I have to admit, that Minko I liked.

Idealistic
Mon, 04-18-2011, 01:16 PM
I did not know the series would have some fanservice like that. Nako after swimming was :)

Kraco
Mon, 04-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Interesting episode and Ohana keeps getting more interesting herself. Like how she just kept reading the poor ero novel and advicing the fake author dude like it was business as usual. It must be due to how her failure of a mother forced her to develop such an independent survivalist personality.

Can't complain about the fanservice either, for sure.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Ohana IS pretty abnormal, and that was exemplified in this episode. Teaching your captor how to tie you up is pretty broken IMO.

I like the fact that Kyou-chan is not completely out of the picture. I hope he gets a chance for a reuinion, even if only in the last episode. I don't really want to see him around, but I want him to have a happy end with Ohana.

Ryllharu
Mon, 04-18-2011, 06:28 PM
I was more intrigued by Ohana's grandmother telling her late husband that Ohana is the spitting image of Satsuki. I could never imagine Ohana's mother being that good-natured. It just seemed out of character for both her grandmother and what we know of Satsuki. I guess her grandmother isn't nearly as harsh as she comes off.

I of course echo the sentiments of ( o.O ) for post-swim Nako. However, I was stunned that Nako suggested that somehow swimming isn't that useful. I guess it isn't much of a wonder why so many Japanese anime characters die via drowning. Largely urban society, I get that, but...seriously? She's an expert at it and she doesn't see the value after just saving someone's life?! Ohana must take her up on the offer and learn to swim.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 04-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Swimming's not "useful", but nevertheless a good survival skill. Martial arts isn't "useful" neither, but there are plenty of infrequent situations where knowing some would be godsend. One jarring contradiction to Nako's otherwise well-taught survival skills was her penetrating dive.

Cliffs and breaking water? Head first dive? Really?

Minko just kept popping out of nowhere in the bath scenes. Was she in between Ohana's legs in her last appearance? Apparently she was "mopping".

[Nipponsei] Hanasaku Iroha OP Single - Hana no Iro [nano.RIPE].zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Hanasaku%20Iroha%20OP%20Single%2 0-%20Hana%20no%20Iro%20%5Bnano.RIPE%5D.zip.torrent)

Kraco
Wed, 04-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Cliffs and breaking water? Head first dive? Really?

Maybe she's a local and in her brazen youth used to dive right there, thus knowing the waters (and, more importantly, rocks) inside out.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 04-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Yeah, it was the submerged terrain I was worried about. I'll give her the benefit of doubt, even though I don't personally believe it myself that she knows the water there.

But I do believe her to be a local. Now that you mention it, the old grandmother knew about her swimming background while (most of?) the other staff didn't. I wonder how long Nako's been working at the inn (or why she's working there, for that matter). It's hardly one of those casual jobs that students pick up in order to earn a bit of cash.

David75
Wed, 04-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Regarding the dive, that rock really is particular, it stands out so much I would not be surprised it's a local attraction. It might really be the place where young guys show their courage by doing a high jump. If so, a local expert swimmer would know about it too.
The fact the writer decided to go there might be because he read it in a guide or heard about it, after all he is good at remembering details, so he might even have heard the place from Nako herself.

Then there's the fact the guy did jump and did not crash into anything solid. We can assume she did follow the entire scene and had a good idea of a safe from obstacle area where she could dive. The main difference being that the head on diving gets you deeper, hence the inapropriate risk she has taken when jumping feet (and ass) first would be a lot safer. But it's far less aesthetic/majestic... so they decided for the beautiful version :D

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-24-2011, 06:57 PM
HorribleSubs - Episode 04 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=208863)

---------------------

Needless to say, another great episode. I can't wait to hear Yuina without the (wrong?) Kansai accent though. That accent pisses me off in general.

Minko likes Touru - well that explains why she wants Ohana to "die" so much. Not the best best way to express her frustration, but I'd say it's even more understandable, if anything. She's no Nako after all, as much as her classmates would like her to be.

They may pay 3500Y to see Minko just out of the shower, but that's because they've never seen Nako just out of the sea. ;)

The ED is also no where near as enjoyable without the animation sequence.

Ryllharu
Mon, 04-25-2011, 04:02 AM
[Hatsuyuki-Tsuki] Hanasaku​ Iroha - 04 [720p] (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=209010)

The two things that really stood out to me this episode was Ohana's reaction to the cherry blossoms and the heron. She explained pretty simply why the blossoms were so exciting to her. The heron bit was wonderful though. I saw it in the shadow and wondered if they were just going to pass it by, and then she burst out in surprise. Someone from the city would be exactly as delighted and simultaneously terrified of those kinds of birds. Since Nako knew of it specifically, I wonder if it is regularly fed by humans too (tourists or residents), causing it to approach people. If a huge bird like a heron comes after you (friendly or otherwise) and you've never even seen something like it, Ohana's reaction would be pretty spot on.

At first I thought that Tohru was considering looking for a job at the other place, tired of being second fiddle with all of his creativity and assumed skill, but having some kind of relationship with Yuina was surprising.

The boys (and girls) at school might have a different opinion of Minko if they saw her socially bumbling about at the inn with her incredible awkwardness. I guess it is good for her she tries to play it cold and collected.

Now I'm wondering a bit about Nako's backstory. What was the phone call about (if anything)?

RyougaZell
Mon, 04-25-2011, 09:12 PM
Doki Ep 04
720p (http://doki.co/torrents/Doki_Hanasaku_Iroha_-_04_1280x720_h264_AAC_752FA286.mkv.torrent)
480p (http://doki.co/torrents/Doki_Hanasaku_Iroha_-_04_848x480_h264_AAC_42FEF704.mkv.torrent)

Every passing episode I like Ohana and Nako more. Every episode I dislike Minko more.

Yuina's accent was very annoying. I'm glad she implied she changes her accent depending on her mood.

And lol at Ohana... she practically spilled info about Kou without intending so.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-25-2011, 09:45 PM
I love the fact that Ko keeps coming back. The flashbacks tell a good even if common story about Ohana and Ko. I never thought I could like a character that doesn't even show up since episode 1. It's a nice touch that Ohana slowly realizes her feelings while she is separated from him, and they explain the reasons why when she reminisces.

Ryllharu
Tue, 04-26-2011, 03:25 AM
Every passing episode I like Ohana and Nako more. Every episode I dislike Minko more.Care to expand? I didn't see anything in particular that Minko did to make her substantially more unlikable than she was before. She rejected a guy because she likes someone else, and did give him details (heavily hinting she had someone specific in mind) when he requested them.

It's not like Ohana is really offended by Minko's overly-thought out insult word either. Just curious what you found offensive.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-26-2011, 04:23 AM
If anything, it would be how she reacted when Ohana in the bath when she was talking badly about Touru.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 04-26-2011, 09:06 AM
But that was understandable. Anyone would get pissed if someone talks badly about someone they care about. Talking behind Touru's back is not something commendable in any case, even if Ohana was just doing it to get closer to Minko (maybe that makes it worse).

As expected, I dislike Minko much less ever since she stopped saying "die". Balut is such a cute and funny insult, and Ohana pointing out it's weakness as an insult made it even funnier.

RyougaZell
Tue, 04-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Care to expand? I didn't see anything in particular that Minko did to make her substantially more unlikable than she was before. She rejected a guy because she likes someone else, and did give him details (heavily hinting she had someone specific in mind) when he requested them.

It's not like Ohana is really offended by Minko's overly-thought out insult word either. Just curious what you found offensive.

I didn't mind Minko getting mad at Ohana when she badmouthed Tohru. And neither do I mind the new 'insult'. Her rejection scene even gaver her plus points on my mind. My problem came at the end.

What I completely disliked is her reaction towards the end, trying to choke Ohana, going as far as lifting her in the air. I would have prefer the cold shoulder or to give more insults. Not a physical attack.

Ryllharu
Tue, 04-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Perfectly understandable, somehow I forgot that part. The stuff that happened immediately after overshadowed it.

Thanks.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 04-26-2011, 03:10 PM
I forgot that part as well. I think it had something to do with how unbelievable it was. Minko shouldn't have been able to lift Ohana up in a chokehold (unless she secretly practices wrestling and has thicker arms than what we can see), and Ohana should not be fine after being choked like that. People lose consciousness for a lot less. Because of that, I sort of passed it off as an anime exagerrated scene, like how people smash through walls or fall to the ground without breaking anything.

RyougaZell
Tue, 04-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Well... with the proper impulse, Minko was able to 'lift' Ohana a bit. Why did she stay up then? It was because Ohana's back was pressed to the rail... she even seemed in danger of falling into the river (or whatever was behind her) because Minko kept pushing until Tohru appeared on the distance (Tohru radar activation saved Ohana).

Seriously... setting aside the choking... she could have killed her, dut to the fall, if she had pushed her a bit stronger.

A bit unbelivable, I agree... but like I said... a proper push with enough impulse can explain it.

I'm not against liking her if she redeems herself somehow. But this scene didn't help her in my eyes. But heck... Ohana is going to forgive her anyway. If she was able to forgive a guy that tied her bondage style... why not the girl she's trying so hard to befriend.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Horriblesubs - Episode 05 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=210874)

Kraco
Mon, 05-02-2011, 03:03 PM
This ep depicted quite nicely how Ohana tried and failed to understand Minko's love affair with her very lacking personal experience - a flaw she fortunately quickly realised herself. At least Ko got some sort of an answer (to his earlier email) as a result of it all. But I guess Ohana still has ways to go before she can respond to the confession.

Looks like Ohana finally claimed her place as Minchi's friend as well.

Idealistic
Mon, 05-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Ohachi! Hanachi! Hibachi!

Another great episode. I'm starting to like Tohru's character. The way he interacts with Ohana is funny. What I want to know though, is how did Tohru's relationship with Minko become what it is now? He seemed to be friendly/kind towards Minko during the flashbacks.

Kraco
Mon, 05-02-2011, 06:06 PM
What I want to know though, is how did Tohru's relationship with Minko become what it is now? He seemed to be friendly/kind towards Minko during the flashbacks.

Once Minchi became a part of the staff, he became hard and merciless to reshape her into a professional. It's a traditional establishment. I doubt they believe in the modern concepts of happy, equal teamwork, close boss-subordinate relationships, and other bullshit. Looking at the older chef, you can bet Tohru himself was treated similarly in the beginning.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Ohachi! Hanachi! Hibachi!

Another great episode. I'm starting to like Tohru's character. The way he interacts with Ohana is funny. What I want to know though, is how did Tohru's relationship with Minko become what it is now? He seemed to be friendly/kind towards Minko during the flashbacks.

It seems to me that he understands and even likes her dedication to become a chef, even though he clearly sees her skills as being far from sufficient. (no surprise here, since he even sees his own as being so).

The dialect girl's the first rich, princess-like character that I've liked in quite some time now.

RyougaZell
Mon, 05-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Doki 05
720 (http://doki.co/torrents/Doki_Hanasaku_Iroha_-_05_1280x720_h264_AAC_ECD254E4.mkv.torrent)
480 (http://doki.co/torrents/Doki_Hanasaku_Iroha_-_05_848x480_h264_AAC_2A247E26.mkv.torrent)

Tohru is certainly a great character. And I must admit I warmed a bit towards Minko this episode. While her idea of wanting the best for Tohru was the correct one... Ohana taught her a bit of a lesson in the end. Usually people do think about their best option... but I guess in this instance... and this kind of workplace... the best situation comes when someone tries to stop you... recognizing your value.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-02-2011, 07:55 PM
While her idea of wanting the best for Tohru was the correct one... Ohana taught her a bit of a lesson in the end. Usually people do think about their best option... but I guess in this instance... and this kind of workplace... the best situation comes when someone tries to stop you... recognizing your value.

It all comes down to the person, I think. Tohru, who didn't really want to leave anyway and was attached to the people at the inn, would naturally want to be stopped. But had he been set on the idea of going to a bigger and better place to advance his career but was also attached to the people he works for here, then asking him to stay would put him in a sticky situation.

Personally.. I think I would have taken Minchi's route too. Ohana's mindset's that straightforward "if you want them to stay, just say it!". It's not wrong.. but it does get her into situations that wouldn't have happened if she just sat and thought for a second :P.

RyougaZell
Mon, 05-02-2011, 08:07 PM
It indeed gets to be a mess when feelings are involved. But lets watch from the real life point of view. When you seek a better job and you get an offer... you feel your worth gets appreciated when they try to retain you, through a raise for example, since they value your work. If they allow you to go without even trying to offer you something else... you feel rejected.

In Tohru's case... its obvious this isn't the case. He ain't in the job for the money... but because its his passion. Its undeniable that he wouldn't have left for the money... but... would he have left his 'master'? In his kind of job... leaving, even with more money and a better place, would be an insult... because allowing to leave, without trying to stop him, would mean they can live without him. That is... his work isn't necessary... he could be easily replaced. He feels he would be a succesful chef when his 'master', Ren-san, tries to stop him from leaving.

As you said... it comes down to the person's own thoughts. But its undeniable that in any of the two scenarios, when a boss tries to stop from you leaving its because you are needed. Tohru probably felt dissapointed the only one that tried to stop him was Ohana, even though everybody else didn't want him to leave, only Ohana did something.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-03-2011, 03:24 AM
I must have read the whole situation in a relatively lighter tone than you Zell. I even saw Ren's lack of response as a rough reminder to Tohru that he's still got a way to go before he's a big shot.

If they were real, normal people as you were seeing them though (and more of a boss/employee relationship with less of a master/disciple-like one) I'd probably have seen it more from your perspective.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-08-2011, 10:22 AM
HorribleSubs - episode 06 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=212490)

Idealistic
Mon, 05-09-2011, 04:25 AM
Hmmm, I did have a feeling from the previous episode that Tohru might have a thing for Ohana just based on the way they interacted and the whole Ohana being the only one to stop him from leaving. It's starting to seem like he does.

Kraco
Mon, 05-09-2011, 09:14 AM
That would be bad, and I hope it's nothing serious. Of course this isn't (it seems) exactly the kind of show where everything would go well just because it would leave the audience with a mushy feeling. Thus it's impossible to say yet. Needless to say, it would make Minchi sad, and it would hurt the already delicate relationship between Ohana and Minchi. Plus Ohana doesn't exactly like the guy in the first place. At all.

Maybe Tohru was only imagining how Minchi would look like in the China dress?

shinta|hikari
Mon, 05-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Or maybe he was just being a guy and enjoying the show. He would probably react the same with any girl in cosplay.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-09-2011, 09:44 AM
He would probably react the same with any girl in cosplay.

Maybe. But still, it looks like Ohana managed to keep Tohru up all night with just a maid+Kimono combo. Think of what "lengthening the slit on the China dress" would do? Based on that, I think that even if any girl in something like that would make Tohru anaemic, Ohana's triggered reaction was more than your average effectiveness.

It's hard to say whether this was just for comedic effect though.

Talking about trying something different, Nako should really try something else for her school hairstyle. It's not bad and adds variety, but there's got to be something better.

Ryllharu
Mon, 05-09-2011, 03:49 PM
I laughed out loud when Ohana got her meager adjusted pay and was thrilled to see so much money. Her mother is really awful. No wonder the staff is a little bit guarded around Ohana given how much she apparently takes after her mother.

Maybe. But still, it looks like Ohana managed to keep Tohru up all night with just a maid+Kimono combo. Think of what "lengthening the slit on the China dress" would do? Based on that, I think that even if any girl in something like that would make Tohru anaemic, Ohana's triggered reaction was more than your average effectiveness.I honestly don't think the high-slit china dress would work nearly as much. Tohru was intrigued at the china dresses, but he dropped a pan when he saw the kimono/apron combos. Perhaps that was because the china dress didn't really flatter Ohana's figure in any particular way (certainly not the way it did for Nako 0.o). I figure he didn't think Ohana could look that classy.

That's what I really liked about this episode. It wove in a fanservice section without it seeming too out of place for the series. I actually thought it was fantastically done. The consultant had a reason to be there in the first place (the inn doesn't do that well and the okami's son fancies her), and though she probably isn't a very good one...she legitimately seems to want to show off her talents with various plans (the cooks saying it was the waitress' turn this time). She was off-base, but the idea wasn't a bad one, Ohana's grandmother tried it herself before, and it worked once Ohana was led to the classier idea that fits in with the inn's image of tradition over modernization (comparing to the Fukuya Inn). This is the way a fanservice episode should be done.

I also liked that the whole china dress thing was basically Ohana's fault. She got all excited because she hasn't been subjected to this woman for years the way the others have. Her initial curiosity gave Takako the opening she needed. She did continue to think about improving the inn as well after the event, so perhaps Ohana's grandmother may start to see her granddaughter showing some interest in the inn's well-being.

It was also a nice touch that Ohana's grandmother played sick during Takako's visit.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 05-09-2011, 08:03 PM
I think the grandma already knows that Ohana is quite concerned about the inn. She is just trying to keep her cold persona by acting indifferent or strict.

Kraco
Tue, 05-10-2011, 01:53 AM
How common is it in Japan to still receive your salary in cash? It's kind of strange considering how ultra modern Japan is in many ways, yet so old-fashioned in others.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-10-2011, 03:25 AM
How common is it in Japan to still receive your salary in cash? It's kind of strange considering how ultra modern Japan is in many ways, yet so old-fashioned in others.

I'm confident it is. When I went over there, it's essentially a cash only country. That's even more so as you move away from Tokyo.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 05-10-2011, 10:57 AM
I think that's because it is a rural area, and the employer is a small inn.

Kraco
Tue, 05-10-2011, 03:28 PM
I remember, though, from five years ago a TV documentary where a person from the West had moved to (metropolitan) Japan and was complaining how annoying it is to pay your electricity bill in cash to an employee who makes a round through the neighbourhood, from door to door, collecting the money. And that was apparently the only way to pay (perhaps in addition to visiting the company itself, I can't remember exactly). However, it's still hard to believe. It would also be bloody nuisance.

But silly Japan is also Japan, I guess.

RyougaZell
Tue, 05-10-2011, 11:05 PM
Late Doki Version

06 720 (http://doki.co/torrents/Doki_Hanasaku_Iroha_-_06_1280x720_h264_AAC_E30D0D56.mkv.torrent)
06 480 (http://doki.co/torrents/Doki_Hanasaku_Iroha_-_06_848x480_h264_AAC_973F835B.mkv.torrent)

Tohru is definitely eyeing Ohana... and Minko noticed. Surprised she didn't hold it against her though.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-10-2011, 11:08 PM
I think it would be hilarious if it turned out to be Nako he's after.

Huge "EH!?" reaction from all 3 of them.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 05-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Good twist. Let's go with that.

Minchi and Ohana can just get it on in their room. Yuri ftw.

RyougaZell
Wed, 05-11-2011, 07:57 AM
That's true. He could very well be ogling Nako... while Minko would probably misunderstand it and beleive its Ohana creating a new conflict.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Horriblesubs - Episode 07 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=214129)

Kraco
Sun, 05-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Reminded me of that one FMP:Fumoffu ep.

This was easily the weakest episode so far in my opinion.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 05-15-2011, 10:41 PM
I liked it. It was a lot of fun.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-16-2011, 03:53 AM
I liked it. It was a lot of fun.

I agree.

Also confirmed that both Nako and Ohana are equally worthy "targets". Tohru might actually be a harem guy.

Ryllharu
Mon, 05-16-2011, 04:32 AM
This was easily the weakest episode so far in my opinion.
I'm going to go with Kraco on this one. While is was fun, it felt like a portion of the cast was just completely out of character. Minko getting angry about them not eating food is fine, but her actually charging down the hall to verbally assault customers is not, and then getting all sparkling when she was praised. Tomoe was fine during most of the scenes at her apartment or in the kitchen (stuffing her face with leftovers because she was stressed out), but going all madcap just didn't seem like I was watching the same series I have been for weeks. In the end, it felt like Ohana, Nako and the Okami were the only ones in character.

It was entertaining, but it felt like I was watching some other, mislabeled series.

RyougaZell
Wed, 05-18-2011, 08:08 AM
I agree.

Also confirmed that both Nako and Ohana are equally worthy "targets". Tohru might actually be a harem guy.

I agree as well. Seeing how stressful real life is... I prefer to enjoy the series I choose to follow (after dropping a few in the way) instead of nitpicking at every little detail.

I LOLed at Ohana taking an infiltrated bath on the MEN's bath instead of cleaning it.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Horriblesubs - Episode 08 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=215756)

Kraco
Sun, 05-22-2011, 12:01 PM
This episode really made the previous feel like a filler. Not only is Ko arriving to see Ohana - something I didn't really dare hope for due to his actual presence having been nothing but the tiny bit right in the intro part of the show - but things got so critical also at the inn suddenly, in many ways. Funnily enough even the miserable consultant is there to further make things more troublesome. I'm glad Ohana gathered her thoughts and told her off before everything was ruined beyond redemption.

I'm really looking forward to the next episode now.

Ryllharu
Sun, 05-22-2011, 03:59 PM
I'd like to just say, "Ditto," to Kraco's post, but that would be poor form.

What surprised me is that Ohana opted to take the long trip to the city and try to track Tohru down so he could take the long trip back to the inn rather than going down to the kitchen and doing it herself. She called Nako in, so the waitress staff wouldn't be that adversely affected (certainly no less than it is with her running off). Ohana can actually cook, and both the chefs seem to think she cooks rather well. I really don't see why Ohana's current actions are preferable to throwing out the same, "all guests are equal," pep-talk to Ren-san and doing the work herself. She's has almost a decade of practice herself. Even then, she could resume waitressing after the majority of the work is completed.

As it stands, it seems like she is doing more harm than good.

Lastly, to throw this out there, why would Yuina be worried about her photo being taken? She doesn't do anything at her inn. A mystery reviewer would be just as likely to think she is another guest. I'm kind of hoping they make Yuina less of a background character. She's annoying as it stands, and she's would be a nice contrast character to Ohana. Lazy and nonchalant to Ohana's trying-too-hard.

Kraco
Sun, 05-22-2011, 04:24 PM
What surprised me is that Ohana opted to take the long trip to the city and try to track Tohru down so he could take the long trip back to the inn rather than going down to the kitchen and doing it herself.

It certainly seemed like a very strange and highly ineffective decision like you said. But on the other hand, it suits her impulsive and well-meaning but not too deeply thinking personality perfectly, underlined by running through the city in her waitress uniform. It also fits together with her general inexperience, that is, the incapability to utilize limited time to the max.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 05-22-2011, 10:24 PM
You guys seem to take professional cooking a bit lightly. Cooking well for a staff meal where you decide the menu (usually something you know and can cook well) is worlds different from cooking for guests with a specific (usually luxurious since it is a ryokan) menu that Ohana most likely is not even aware of, much less practiced for.

I'm sure Ohana knows that she isn't up to the task, just like Minchi who has been training for that specific job for a much longer time.

Risking it and cooking herself then serving inadequate (not bad, since she is good enough a cook to avoid that, but standards are different) food is the worst case scenario. Like the irritating meddling woman said, it all begins and ends with the food.

RyougaZell
Sun, 05-22-2011, 10:55 PM
I'm with Shinta in this. Ohana's cooking may be good... but it doesn't mean she knows how to prepare on a pro level. Her decision will probably be the best on the long run... though I do worry how long it took her to get there and how long it will take her to return.

Minchi has finally left my hate list... and the list is currently being occupied by the consultat, Takako and the stupid son of the landlady. How can this two be so blind to commit such terrible mistakes each and every time is beyond me. At first I thought it was because the stupid son liked her... but now I think its just because he is stupid.

Kraco
Mon, 05-23-2011, 02:06 AM
Yes, I fully agree Ohana wouldn't be up to the task of preparing the meals. However, psychologically thinking the chef might have recuperated really fast if Ohana had appeared in the kitchen to try to cook fancy meals, especially if she had told the man to forget the consultant's bullshit and just do things like he always does (because I've no doubt he never serves second-rate food in the first place). This would have taken ten minutes instead of a long bike ride, train ride, and running through the city, randomly searching a big building - and whatever is going to happen in the next episode. Let's not forget they were already preparing the meals; how long will the customers now have to wait?

However, naturally for the story this development was more interesting. And like I said, it suits Ohana's personality.

Zell, I think the son is just stupidly in love with the woman and his filters are all offline. Thus anything she says will sound like words of a sage in his ears and, moreover, he probably subconsciously tries to think of plans that would be alike to hers. All to the ruination of the inn.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-23-2011, 09:28 AM
I don't think Ren would have recovered from Ohana telling him to treat all customers equally. The thing that hit him was "Dinner is the key". The fact that he has to perform top notch tonight is killing him, not the fact that only some customers are to be served something spectacular.

As for Kraco's comment about having the customers wait, Minchi said she was fine with all the preparation - only cooking it was the problem, and that's where Tohru comes in.

As misguided as Takako is with her sense of what's "good" for the inn, I love how she spouts out all the not-that-horrible English whenever she can. A prime example of having learnt knowledge but not knowing how to apply it.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 05-23-2011, 11:08 AM
And I think all of her quotes are slightly inaccurate.

Kraco
Mon, 05-23-2011, 02:43 PM
I don't think Ren would have recovered from Ohana telling him to treat all customers equally.

More like the combination of being told to treat the day just like any other day, without all the hype - just like has has for a couple of decades at least, juding by his age, and seeing Ohana suddenly begin to cook the meals. I doubt he could have watched her ruin the reputation of the inn's kitchen in silence. That would have snapped him back, I deem. But of course it's all nothing but speculation since the plot took a different route.

Kraco
Sun, 05-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Episode 9 - HorribleSubs (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=217405)

- - - - - - -

What the hell, Ko! I can understand the dude might want to avoid bothering Ohana when things sounded so hectic, but not even showing his face or at the very least having a look at the inn after travelling an obviously considerable distance to that backwater town and having such a warm phone conversation with her. He sorely disappointed me. While this episode was otherwise jolly good, including the classing stunt of falling into the wedding room from her peeping position, Ko's behavior ruined half of it for me.

RyougaZell
Sun, 05-29-2011, 10:58 PM
And don't forget the appearance of that other girl at Kou's work... Add the fact of Ohana being curious about Tohru's smell (although she did wonder how Kou would smell) I see bumps on this relationship.

I seriously wanted to kill the consultant, idiot son and pervert writer. They seriously have junk in their heads. Last time I said Minko left the dislike list because of the Consultant... well lets add idiot son and pervert writer.

Its really obvious who the real reporter was. Heh.

I'm really looking forward to next episode thanks to that preview. Awesome.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 05-29-2011, 11:17 PM
The danger lies on Ko's side. Ohana is pretty much into Ko right now. The helmet thing is not about Tohru, it was about Ohana seeing Ko as a member of the opposite sex. Thanking someone who only called you on a phone that much... yeah, nuff said.

I loved the tempura scenes. They didn't half-ass it. The ice bowl for the batter, the sound of the frying, the proper taste test... it was a very good representation of how it should be done. I just hope Tohru does not go for Ohana. That would really be a messy soap opera-like development, and I would hate it.

I felt disappointed about Ko, but I don't blame him. The situation was just not favorable, but he scored big nonetheless. I just hope that meganekko does not get in the way of his pursuit of Ohana.

Kraco
Mon, 05-30-2011, 02:27 AM
I just hope Tohru does not go for Ohana. That would really be a messy soap opera-like development, and I would hate it.

I just hope that meganekko does not get in the way of his pursuit of Ohana.

I certainly pray neither of these will happen. While this series tries to follow a realistic path to a certain degree, and I've been happy with it, I would still immensely appreciate if it didn't, realistically, make people give up based solely on their own assumptions, easiness, and level of comfort. There's zilch romanticism in that and the extra realism points granted are cheap indeed.

Ryllharu
Mon, 05-30-2011, 06:10 AM
I felt disappointed about Ko, but I don't blame him. The situation was just not favorable, but he scored big nonetheless. I just hope that meganekko does not get in the way of his pursuit of Ohana.
Regarding Kraco's post as well, I would actually be disappointed if this new girl didn't get in the way and distract Ko.

Ko scored huge with Ohana, especially that she's starting to see him less as "Ko-chan" and more of a member of the opposite sex. The problem is he doesn't see that at all. Ohana had an epiphany since she came to Kissuisou. She sees her grandmother's viewpoint rather well, and desires to fulfill it as well as have the inn grow, not simply maintain the only place she has left to go.

I thought it was fairly obvious that Ko did not see this excursion as a victory. If anything, he may have actually been discouraged. Ohana is far away from him, and it does not speak well to his character if he expected her to drop everything and go see him. He doesn't seem to have figured out how much she cares for her new home. She explained pretty much everything to him, but his reaction was still a bit turned out. The train schedule couldn't be helped, and same goes for Kissuisou being full. But there is more than one inn in Yunosagi (admittedly perhaps not in his price range...). He gave up right after that.

Given the new girl's proximity to him, and the focus on her, it would be strange if he didn't start drifting from Ohana. Long distance relationships suck, and the two of them weren't even in a relationship yet. Ohana has only started realizing her own feelings.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 05-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Yeah, I don't want that kind of soap opera like development, even if it is realistic as you say.

I think it's fine if the girl tries to get in the way, but does not succeed. That means Ko should be able to fend off her advances without thinking of quitting on Ohana.

Kraco
Mon, 05-30-2011, 03:23 PM
I think it's fine if the girl tries to get in the way, but does not succeed. That means Ko should be able to fend off her advances without thinking of quitting on Ohana.

I really hope that's the most that would happen, should anything happen between them at all. I got enough long distance relationship realism from 5 cm to last a lifetime.

Ryllharu
Mon, 05-30-2011, 04:00 PM
I got enough long distance relationship realism from 5 cm to last a lifetime.
What about looooooooooooong distance relationships as in Voices of a Distant Star? That was realistic...in terms of time lag anyway.

----------------------------

To be honest, I half-expected that when Kissuisou was full Ko-chan would go to the Fukuya Inn where Yuina would ogle him. For comedic effect, not drama. I was really let down he gave up so easy.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-31-2011, 09:55 AM
To be honest, I half-expected that when Kissuisou was full Ko-chan would go to the Fukuya Inn where Yuina would ogle him. For comedic effect, not drama. I was really let down he gave up so easy.

That was my thought too. I'm sure she'd play around with him and stuff but release him right after learning he's Ohana's.

Regarding the whole Ko/Ohana thing, I can see it happening where Ko would warm up with the new girl a bit only to later turn her down after he gets his thoughts and feelings straight.

Likewise I was impressed with the tempura scene. Literally, I saw the detail and thought ".. wow.. ".

Also nice was how Tohru handled Ren. I could only think of him coming in and telling Ren off somehow (and while that would be inappropriate considering the hierarchy, it was the only thing I could come up with). Taking the underclassman route was something both realistic and surprising. The only flaw would be that knowing he's in charge of everything could increase Ren's pressure, but it could have been either way. I'll give Tohru the benefit of doubt that he knew what he was doing.

Also note: when was the last time you saw a girl grab the guy's waist on a motorcycle and NOT have the guy blush from the pressure applied to his back? Then again.. we didn't have Nako there to give a proper demonstration.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 05-31-2011, 10:13 AM
I think having a reliable cook working for you is enough to alleviate a lot of the pressure he was feeling.

Kraco
Tue, 05-31-2011, 11:03 AM
It was also a step toward normalcy. The whole thing started to go wrong for Ren when the idiot consultant confused him and he was unable to cool his head down afterwards. The only thing he needed was for things to be like they always were. Tohru seemed to do the trick.

MFauli
Fri, 06-03-2011, 02:58 PM
ugh, just watched ep 1, and i hate almost every character, lol.

why does Minchi randomly hate on the main character? Makes no sense. And the main characterīs happy-go-lucky attitude is super annoying. I assume sheīs the typ that always gets what she wants, without any actual effort, sigh. Well, Iīll watch some more episodes, since production value seems nice enough.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 06-03-2011, 03:13 PM
And the main characterīs happy-go-lucky attitude is super annoying. I assume sheīs the typ that always gets what she wants, without any actual effort, sigh.

Are you blind and deaf?

Didn't you see her mother?

Kraco
Fri, 06-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Yeah, considering her utter failure of a mother and all the consequences of that, she's a real hero to still possess such a positive personality.

MFauli
Fri, 06-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Are you blind and deaf?

Didn't you see her mother?

First of all, I was talking about Ohanaīs current state, not how she became that way. Secondly, itīs just my assumption. I have only seen two episodes so far. But let me explain what I mean: There are characters that have to go through real hardships, give it their all and still wonīt reach their dream goal. And then thereīs characters that have minor problems, solve them by brute force and get their happy end.
To me, Ohana is the second kind, and the scene where she confronts Minchi and Nako in ep 2 further strengthens my belief. I dont know what follows, so all this can still change. But so far, that is my impression of Ohana.

And lol, the author is attempting rape on her or what, lol?! DLing ep 3!

RyougaZell
Fri, 06-03-2011, 06:01 PM
I swear that each and every time I see an MFauli post I think he'll rant about how he hates the episode, hates the characters and how Naruto is better. Two out of three options have been fulfilled already. I await the inevitable Naruto comparison.

MFauli
Fri, 06-03-2011, 06:10 PM
I swear that each and every time I see an MFauli post I think he'll rant about how he hates the episode, hates the characters and how Naruto is better. Two out of three options have been fulfilled already. I await the inevitable Naruto comparison.

go click on the Kaiji 2nd Season-topic!!1 :P

shinta|hikari
Fri, 06-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Being abandoned by your mother is a minor problem..?

RyougaZell
Fri, 06-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Being abandoned by your mother is a minor problem..?

Remember is the same guy that thought that Rei from High School of the Dead was at fault when that crazy guy tried to steal her and the bike from Komuro.

Anyway... about Ohana...

We normally don't discuss previews but heck... I can't wait to see next episode after those few seconds of preview.

MFauli
Sat, 06-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Well, after watching ep4 and seeing Ohanaīs class mates, I changed my view about the nature of this show. I thought it was going for a rather realistic portrayal, since it is a "slice of life"-anime, but it is definitely a more typical anime, with very over-the-top characters. Not only Yuina, but also the girls jumping at her because sheīs from Tokyo, and the boys asking for pictures of Minko, wtf lol.

Regarding Minko, what a conceited bitch. Getting angry because someone criticizes her dream boy is okay, but trying to choke Ohana?! Felt totally out of place, even if it wasnīt a real murder attempt, haha.

Kraco
Sun, 06-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Episode 10 - HorribleSubs (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=219052)

- - - - - - - -

Sort of sluggish episode due to the feverish level of consciousness, but at least it heavily suggested Tohru is actually eyeing Ohana and Minko is hardly pleased by it. However, I'm happy she didn't take it out on Ohana. At least not yet. Ohana has shown little interest in Tohru, in any case. How everybody told they can manage without her to try to make her sleep in peace was such a traditional way of making her feel even worse... But I guess since this show does try to reach a certain level of realism, aside from some details, it's no wonder they included it.

Ohana rejecting Ko's invitation in her dream and shedding some tears beccause of it made me think that symbolized her letting go of her feelings for him and moving on, but of course it wasn't anything so profound based on the preview (unless it actually marked the reverse case of Ko dropping Ohana and going for that other girl we saw).

MFauli
Sun, 06-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Just saw ep 6. The subtle sexual tension throughout each episode really got me thinking if this show isnt trying its best to hide its "inner moe". Fortunately, nothing too annoying for now.

But what I wondered: What are Ohana and the others doing in their freetime? All we see is her going to school and then working at the in, till she goes to sleep. As cheerful of a girl she is, itīs kinda depressing to think that is all.

And yeah, looking forward to the inevitable Tohru-drama.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 06-06-2011, 01:01 AM
Ohana rejecting Ko's invitation in her dream and shedding some tears beccause of it made me think that symbolized her letting go of her feelings for him and moving on, but of course it wasn't anything so profound based on the preview (unless it actually marked the reverse case of Ko dropping Ohana and going for that other girl we saw).

Considering that it's coming from Ohana's consciousness (which doesn't know of the other girl yet), I don't think the second version is the case (though it may well be happening). I thought about the tears the same way you did at first, but then I thought that may be Ohana finally realising that this is now her home where there's people she loves vice versa. When Ko said "let's go home", my first thought was "home? What home?"

Nako>>>> everyone else. I think I'm even beginning to like her school-hairstyle now. That should have been near impossible.

MFauli
Mon, 06-06-2011, 06:34 AM
Hm, I feel like we need some sort of flashback about Ohanaīs past. To me, it feels to rushed how quickly she grew to love the inn and everyone. It already feels as if she wants to work there for the rest of her life. And thatīs coming from a big city-girl. Sure, her mother seems to be terrible, but if Ohanaīs personality was the same, she should have had a lot of friends in Tokyo. Seems strange how the show focuses only on Ko-chan in these regards.

And reading sex novels to a 16-year old girl thatīs sick....really?!

Buffalobiian
Mon, 06-06-2011, 07:18 AM
And reading sex novels to a 16-year old girl thatīs sick....really?!

Ohana doesn't seem to mind.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 06-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Actually she did. She just couldn't do anything about it.

MFauli
Mon, 06-06-2011, 09:11 AM
And if she didnīt mind, wouldnt that make it even weirder, lol :D

shinta|hikari
Mon, 06-06-2011, 09:27 AM
But Buff and I like weird~

RyougaZell
Tue, 06-07-2011, 10:22 PM
I was a bit confused when Ohana suddenly started working and then I realized several of the scenes were 'out of order'

The scene were Tohru took the porridge to Ohana definitely points that he has begun to notice her at least. He kept staring at her lips through all the scene.

I liked the fact that Okami-san went to check on her. It was a nice addition even the guests noticed her absence.

I wonder if this took place on a weekend because of the school issue. Though we barely have scenes at school lately.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 06-07-2011, 10:53 PM
It was a Saturday. I think it was mentioned in the episode.

Minchi needs to act less like an apprentice, and more of a weak girl that needs protection if she wants to win Tohru over. This episode shows he is the kind of guy who likes those types.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 06-08-2011, 07:33 AM
It was a Saturday. I think it was mentioned in the episode.

Minchi needs to act less like an apprentice, and more of a weak girl that needs protection if she wants to win Tohru over. This episode shows he is the kind of guy who likes those types.

Or perhaps lipstick. :P

Kraco
Wed, 06-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Might not be easy for Minchi to suddenly act like that. She has established herself as a tougher girl already, demonstrated well by casually demanding other people to die. Career wise it might also be a bad move. The kitchen seems to be the hardest place to work at, measured by the atmosphere, not necessarily skills needed, although I wouldn't be surprised if it was that as well, aside from running the whole establishment. I doubt Tohru would respect her more if she suddenly turned all helpless, especially since it was Tohru who get her in and betted on her trying hard and succeeding.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 06-08-2011, 09:20 AM
I didn't say useless. I said weak. She shouldn't do it on the job (she sucks enough as it is), but maybe allowing Tohru glimpses of her crying and adorable sides outside of work will do the trick.

RyougaZell
Wed, 06-08-2011, 09:29 AM
Minchi acting cute and weak? That sounds harder for her than to do a good work.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 06-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Minchi acting cute and weak?

Nako is cute and weak by default, but Tohru doesn't seem to be significantly attracted to her.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 06-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Maybe it's the contrast to Ohana's usual cheerfulness. It would be a larger gap with Minchi's masculine personality.

Maybe Tohru likes gap moe characters.

Kraco
Sun, 06-12-2011, 02:53 PM
Episode 11 - HorribleSubs (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=220570) (and the usual horrible encoding)

- - - - - - -

Damn. I think Ko is history. I have kind of mixed feelings at this point about whether it's good or bad. I really wanted Ohana and Ko to get together towards the end of the series, but after this episode I'm not sure anymore. There was simply no shine there. Maybe it was partly due to the melancholy and dull atmosphere created by Ohana's scumbag mother, maybe it was Ko's fault, even though I reckon Ko has quite a low-key personality in general so he's hard to judge. But at the moment it felt like he didn't anymore feel much for Ohana, yet at the same time he didn't care much for the other girl either. Argh... It all felt annoyingly gray, forced, and dramatically dispirited. In the bigger picture it's also no good that the city has now altogether betrayed her, and the inn town has all the good things.

To be honest I'm now looking less forward to the latter half of the show. I recognize I was only betrayed by my own expectations and the story deserves its chance, but I can't help it.

Ryllharu
Sun, 06-12-2011, 03:11 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I found the part about Ohana's scumbag mother stating that someone high up wanted Kissuisou to score poorly (as well as every other inn in Yunosagi) far more interesting than the Ohana/Ko drama that went on during this episode.

It's not like Fukuya is a low-class or even outdated inn, and while Kissuisou is old-fashioned, the majority of the customers leave their quite happy, so I imagine it is rather high on the more affordable end. I wonder if someone from the magazine has a large stake in the new construction and mega-resort. While else would an entire nearby area be so poorly rated? Here's hoping they get to the bottom of this. I'm hoping for a well-presented scandal.

I kind of wish that Ohana called out Yuina a bit more. Yuina probably wants nothing to do with taking over her grandmother's inn since she's of the "normal high school girl" disposition. That's fine and is a decently common attitude among younger people in Japan's rural areas, so it has realism going for it. But I guess a large part of my issue with Yuina in general is there is really only so little we know about her considering she's supposed to be one of the main/major characters. She's only been in five episodes, and usually only minutes at that! I don't particularly like her, but again, that's mostly because we know nothing about her.

Getting past that rant, I did really enjoy the flashbacks that Ohana's scumbag mother had about Ohana's stubbornness. She's a horrid mother, but their interactions are very amusing.

Kraco
Sun, 06-12-2011, 03:22 PM
That's certainly the impression I got from the rating situation. That it was orchestrated one way or another by the constructors of the new hotel. However, I'm not sure why nobody mentioned it. Maybe the old people considered it too obvious to mention and understand it's all just business, nothing personal and can't be helped, but among the younger ones somebody should have said something about it. Ohana still has lessons to learn about dirty deeds, I suppose, no matter how horrible her mother is, but most of the others keep their feet closer to the ground. Maybe it's actually some sort of counter-reaction from Ohana against her mother that she doesn't believe people are nothing but small cogs in a big machine. Though naturally it's also a part of being young.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 06-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Ko isn't history. Ohana needs more time to sort out her feelings. Ko was just being shy and reserved as usual, but the reason he rejected the other girl is obviously because of Ohana. He can't admit to this (even if that is the best way to resolve the issue) because he is the roundabout type of guy, like he himself admitted in episode 1.

I want to kill Ohana's mother.

RyougaZell
Sun, 06-12-2011, 11:46 PM
When Ohana started to call her mother hag I was expecting the 'level-up' to bitch somewhere around the road. Heck... she sent Ohana to the Inn because she was eloping with a man and she suddenly isn't with him anymore and she didn't bother to tell her daughter? Damn...

The only reason I support the Ohana and Ko relationship is because Ohana seems to like him... but the guy isn't making it easy to support him. Sure its not his fault but... I keep getting dissapointed by his apperances.

I wonder what the real writer of the articles feels about her review turned into shit by greedy bastards.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 06-13-2011, 01:24 AM
I wonder what the real writer of the articles feels about her review turned into shit by greedy bastards.

I'm not sure whether to assume that writer was from the same magazine or not. She probably is, since Ohana and the crew didn't seem to bother with any other magazine's review.

I also see Ohana's mother in a less annoying light now, actually. Not saying I like her or anything, but my view has mellowed out a bit now. She's inconsiderate, but now has the "because it's what I do to get by" reason attached.

I too am thinking that Tohru x Ohana (or at least not Ko x Ohana) will win out in the end. Even if Ko and her like each other.. what they're doing isn't helping. It'll just end up being a "It couldn't be helped" kind of regrettable ending for them. Even when Ohana realised that her not giving him a straight reply was just as torturing for Ko, she didn't give one (even though she HAD one).

David75
Mon, 06-13-2011, 08:34 AM
About review... and guides. Sure they are important. But it's very rare you only have one source of data... only one guide.
The other point is that even if the score is poor, it's at least 50% when it seems everyone around didn't even get that. So reading
the guide, you'd factor the fact the reviewers were very severe and reajust your opinions.

Also, people a dumb to a point. It's very fishy when everyone gets a bad score and only one hotel/restaurant gets a high score!
In a way, creating a strong contrast might be the way Ohana's mother chose to counter the evil deed of cheating with the reviews...

Then there's the type of hotel you wish to go to. You might not want to go to the lastly built, ultra modern hotel.
You might also prefer a less expensive hotel, so you might discard the high score hotel and search among the remaining ones.

Then, it seems profesionnals in the region aren't too happy, they might react too, at least they had a meeting about it.
Customers from the area might also react to what they read in the guide.

Last but not least, there's the internet. My idea is that the woman staying at the hotel with her aged mother might be a web reporter...
just a hunch though. Even if the internet might not be as strong as a guide yet, it's still a source of information some customers or their relation might use before chosing a place to go to.

So at first, yes it's a hard slap in the face. But it might also be not that of a problem.

Ko vs Ohana?
Well they're young, Ohana doesn't have a father at home and can't trust her feelings too much, she also discovers everything.
But in a way, it was touching to see how she didn't want to involve herself knowing how she already was hard on him not realizing his feelings for her. I think it's a little early for her to be so aware and take such a decision, but this is anime after all. And Ko really needs to be more assertive.

Ohana's mother?
We mostly see her through Ohana's eyes. And remember Ohana is barely a teenager...
The X-mas gift grudge clearly is an indication that Ohana still is a child. Think about it a little bit.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 06-13-2011, 08:43 AM
About review... and guides. Sure they are important. But it's very rare you only have one source of data... only one guide.
The other point is that even if the score is poor, it's at least 50% when it seems everyone around didn't even get that. So reading
the guide, you'd factor the fact the reviewers were very severe and reajust your opinions.

The thing was that the whole region was given a bad score though. If the magazine was reviewing a wider area, then it would drive away tourists in the meanwhile, only to attract them back later when this ultra-modern hotel is apparently the only non-shitty place around.

And given the scoring system of achieving half or less, well why go to a 5 star one when there's an 8 star one right? Also, in many people's eyes, I think anything less than 10 stars is considered imperfect. Especially considering the way most Asian countries think of exams/tests, you don't give stars. You deduct them.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 06-13-2011, 09:24 AM
And I think the large hotel was going to rent rooms for cheaper prices? Or was I just imagining that?

Buffalobiian
Mon, 06-13-2011, 09:53 AM
And I think the large hotel was going to rent rooms for cheaper prices? Or was I just imagining that?

I don't remember hearing that in the episode (is it normal for places to advertise prices when it's still under construction?), but all the more reason for hurting the surrounding competition early to deplete their funds, only to launch an attractive special for some time once the construction is complete.

Ryllharu
Mon, 06-13-2011, 03:11 PM
The thing was that the whole region was given a bad score though. If the magazine was reviewing a wider area, then it would drive away tourists in the meanwhile, only to attract them back later when this ultra-modern hotel is apparently the only non-shitty place around.
If I'm not mistaken, the new ultra-modern resort was being built in a neighboring region/prefecture. If the backers of that resort are behind this, they are trying to permanently drive business from the Yunosagi region.

animus
Mon, 06-13-2011, 05:39 PM
That mom's a class act.

MFauli
Tue, 06-14-2011, 03:13 AM
First of all, I disagree with anyone who tries to somehow justify Ohanaīs motherīs attitude. Unless sheīs been forced to be a sex slave for all of her childhood, there is NO excuse to be THAT villainous to your own child. A big what the f***. When Ohana told her about her real feelings that she held back all these years, even started crying...and her mother had the same apathetic, distant look on her face...pure rage on my side, I wanted to punch the bitch in the smug face. Unfortunately, Im sure the show will come up with some bs-excuse at the end to explain her motherīs behavior, but as far as im concerned, thereīs not a lot of possible explanations that could excuse her.

As for the whole Ko-chan matter: I dont see how he is history. The situation is basically Ohanaīs fault, and even though she realized what she did to Ko ("you didnt even properly answer!"), she just ran away from him AGAIN. Quite annoying. For such a cheerful, direct girl, it seems out of place to be that shy to give him a proper answer.

And lastly, yeah, the whole "I gave the inn a shit score because someone told me to do so" was crap. On one hand, itīs just unrealistic. No magazine big enough to influence an innīs well-being would fake such articles. On the other hand, if I was Ohana, Iīd take this to the public. Meh, really annoyed me, specially combined with her motherīs attitude.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 06-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Wow, for the most part, I agree with you. WTF...

RyougaZell
Tue, 06-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Wow, for the most part, I agree with you. WTF...

Likewise. I guess there is a first for everthing... or is this a sign of the apocalypse?

Kraco
Sun, 06-19-2011, 04:27 PM
Episode 12v2 - HorribleSubs (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=222267) (truly horrible subs this time with missing lines).

- - - - - - -

While watching this, I started to feel like Ko isn't yet history like I said earlier. However, towards the end the older feeling returned, perhaps even more so. This is also partially why I can't like the bookstore girl; she's no better than Ohana, in the end. Ohana leaves Ko hanging but the other girl wouldn't let him decide. Both are equally selfish even if in different ways. Yet the bookstore girl seems like she proactively likes Ko, while Ohana tries to come up with reasons why she shouldn't like Ko. Ko is a pretty passive guy, so it's sad to say it, but I wouldn't mind if he ended up with neither. Though since this is Ohana's story, we won't ever know unless Ohana decides to pursue the issue. At the moment it seems to me like she would rather postpone doing anything until time solves the issue of her behalf, no matter how bitterly. Not that Ko would impress me much either.

Oh, well, perhaps the next ep will present some funny scenes between Ohana's mother and grandmother.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 06-19-2011, 09:20 PM
Ko seems devoted to Ohana. He is passive, but very loyal.

I really dislike the scenes where Tohru acts all shy and giddy towards Ohana. It's like a slap to Minchi's face. I would have welcomed that before, but she has been decent recently. And Ohana does not care about Tohru at all, at least in comparison to Ko.

Ohana is too immature in terms of understanding her feelings. She feels them and lashes out, but does not understand the reason why. If she had a clue, she would know that the worry, gratitude, and jealousy she feels when it involves Ko is romantic love.

Kraco
Mon, 06-20-2011, 12:50 AM
Ko seems devoted to Ohana. He is passive, but very loyal.

He does seem loyal from one point of view, but from another I find it suggesting he's not sure of his own feelings anymore and would rather let either time or Ohana to end it. He's so damn passive it's hard to tell.

I really dislike the scenes where Tohru acts all shy and giddy towards Ohana. It's like a slap to Minchi's face.

Indeed, very much so. It's so sad to watch. Michi's admirably strong to still remain friendly toward Ohana. She can't hate Tohru, so in a lesser story she would hate Ohana instead. Good thing that hasn't happened.

Ryllharu
Mon, 06-20-2011, 04:03 AM
I really dislike the scenes where Tohru acts all shy and giddy towards Ohana. It's like a slap to Minchi's face. I would have welcomed that before, but she has been decent recently. And Ohana does not care about Tohru at all, at least in comparison to Ko.A slap in the face? Really? I think that's taking it too far. Minko seemed to have figured it out by the end of the episode, even if she took the wrong conclusion for the sake of a joke. It isn't that Tohro necessarily likes Ohana, or women of Ohana's family. It's that he is bad with women period.

Minko is likely excluded from that boundary because she doesn't register as "woman/girl," she registers as "subordinate/student." Some of the other girls/women at Kissuisou are probably viewed as "co-workers," but he gets a little weird around Nako too. It isn't just Ohana's family because Tohru rolled right over for Yuina's whims all those episodes ago and drove her around on his bike.

Tohru never thought of their outing as a date, it was work. Once Minko figured that out, she knew he wasn't viewing her as a girl, but as a co-worker. If she had been able to convince him otherwise, we might have seen something different.

MFauli
Mon, 06-20-2011, 04:08 AM
This episode really showed that Ohana is her motherīs daughter...siiiigh. Saying "in a movie Iīd be the antagonist" really doesnt make it any better in the real situation. And she had enough opportunities to clear up the mess with Koichi. At this point, sheīs equally a bitch as her mother.

And Tohru is starting to become unlikeable to me, too. Maybe he should fuck Ohanaīs mother to make the mess perfect, lol.

Kraco
Mon, 06-20-2011, 05:01 AM
A slap in the face? Really? I think that's taking it too far.

Minko is likely excluded from that boundary because she doesn't register as "woman/girl," she registers as "subordinate/student."

While what you say most likely is true, I'd say it makes it even more a slap in the face. She's not even a girl in Tohru's eyes. Well, that's probably largely due to how she got accepted into the staff in the first place, so she can't really blame Tohru alone. It's largely her own fault. But it doesn't change the fact Ohana is managing to appear a girl perfectly before Tohru.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 06-20-2011, 07:24 AM
And Ohana does not care about Tohru at all, at least in comparison to Ko.

This cycle of people being oblivious to the other pisses me off.

Indeed, very much so. It's so sad to watch. Michi's admirably strong to still remain friendly toward Ohana. She can't hate Tohru, so in a lesser story she would hate Ohana instead. Good thing that hasn't happened.

I fully agree here. Minchi hasn't said "balut" to Ohana at all this episode. I suppose there wasn't any place to say "Die!" (as that's what balut is a substitute for), but still.. for keeping it and stopping the spread of the unfair-lashout-flowon effect.. good on her. And I love that hair-behind ear look.

Maybe he should fuck Ohanaīs mother to make the mess perfect, lol.

/me nods.

I just can't wait to see Ohana's mother go home and just mess the place up. (Particularly her brother).

MFauli
Sun, 06-26-2011, 11:26 AM
read somewhere that ep13 should be out, but i cannot find it. anyone? :/

Edit: Thx David!

David75
Sun, 06-26-2011, 11:36 AM
read somewhere that ep13 should be out, but i cannot find it. anyone? :/

[HorribleSubs] Hanasaku Iroha - 13 [720p].mkv (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=223806)

has been on Tokyo Toshokan for an hour or more (already watched it)

MFauli
Mon, 06-27-2011, 12:16 PM
not much happening in this episode imo.

the way okami-san slapped her son was too brutal for my liking.

is there going to be a break now, or what about the different credits?

RyougaZell
Mon, 06-27-2011, 09:47 PM
I think it was used to signal the new step Ohana is taking.

I really liked the scene where all three drank together... though I can't help but laugh a bit at Ohana getting drunk on soda.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 06-27-2011, 10:17 PM
That was stupid. People don't get drunk on soda. It would have been a better setup if she just stubbornly or mistakenly drank a shot of sake.

RyougaZell
Mon, 06-27-2011, 11:00 PM
She did said she had a problem with soda when she was with Ko at the city... mixing soda and tea. Though it really its farfetched to get drunk on soda.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 06-28-2011, 02:50 AM
She said that she couldn't take the fizz and mixed soda with stuff.

I just hope we don't a flashback episode. The credits served well enough as one.

Kraco
Fri, 07-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Maybe it wasn't pure soda but some mixed drink with ~1% alchohol. And she couldn't take even that. I could see the tough gal mom still calling such stuff soda.

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Last week's promo was deceptive...

Hanasaku Iroha - 14 [HorribleSubs] (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=225309)

--------------------

What initially appeared as a shameless beach episode turned out to be an incredibly satisfying episode in terms of character development all around. Also, Yuina finally being drawn into the fold as a primary character.

I liked this episode for a lot of reasons. On the lowest level, there was the humor of Nako being obsessed with swimming, Minko being shy, harassed by Ohana, and embarrassed by boys. But far better was the plight of the other inn and Yuina's motivations.

The inn was a nice contrast to Kissuisou. You really got the feeling that Ohana's grandmother really knows what she's doing in the business, even though their inn struggles from time to time. As evident from Yuina's speech right at the end, Fukuya's proprietress also understands the true purpose of the business. Ohana, Minko, and Nako all understood the stark differences in their inn and this one. Fukuyo treats its workers like trash, and they correspondingly show the same respect to the customers and the business. There was an obvious lack of care that Yuina's fiancé displayed. He was treating the business like a factory rather than a customer service organization and it bit him in the ass. Too concerned about the bottom line and success than the overall atmosphere of hospitality.

I think the girls caught on that a more intimate inn like their own has the advantage there. Even with all the technology and modern facilities, it does not make the hospitality job any easier, if anything, it is harder because they can handle that much more business, and the workers aren't as devoted to any single group of customers. They can't really get to know their visitors the way Kissuisou (and probably Fukuya) can.

What impressed me the most was actually Yuina. They've spent all this time building her up as a nonchalant, ignorant, flippant, ditz. Even down to her manner of speaking. Yet she's actually anything but a ditz. We've only seen her as someone who appears to have no interest in her family's inn's wellbeing, more eager to enjoy her own life. We're not wrong there. That's exactly what she is. However, she's far more perceptive and informed than we were led to believe. She knows about the workings of an inn and she seems to know a lot more about the management of one than the audience, Ohana, or Minko ever suspected.

Thinking back after her speech, you could see the spots where she was judging her fiancé on his ability to run an inn. He has modern facilities, but doesn't seem to understand a thing about the proper management. Yuina apparently is quite well informed, and made her choice. It's kind of refreshing that she knows she doesn't want any part of being a proprietress despite knowing proper management skills. There are simply other things she wants to do rather than be shackled by the family business.

Still, I'm sure this isn't the end of development for Yuina. Ohana is going to meddle. I just know it.

Kraco
Sun, 07-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Apart from her earliest appearance, I never really bought Yuina's outer shell. She was clearly intelligent and, moreover, has grown in the middle of managing a large inn. I've been simply thinking she has grown bored of inns and desires to do something else with her life. To have grown bored of it she must have been involved in it a lot. This ep's ending surely confirmed that.

A great episode, yes, with a bit of fanservice. Ko still keeps haunting the eps, yet I've no idea if it's to make Ohana's personality more realistic or to still reserve a role for him in the end.

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Apart from her earliest appearance, I never really bought Yuina's outer shell. She was clearly intelligent and, moreover, has grown in the middle of managing a large inn. I've been simply thinking she has grown bored of inns and desires to do something else with her life. To have grown bored of it she must have been involved in it a lot. This ep's ending surely confirmed that.
I don't know if she ever came off as particularly intelligent to me. Bored, sure, but could you mention some specific examples? Other than her knack for learning every dialect of Japan, that is.

I forgot to mention that the last episode with Ohana and her grandmother catering to the very specific preferences of Satsuki was a contrast (and surely intentional) to the industrial feel of this hotel. Again, not that a hotel meant to manage crowds of that size could do what Kissuisou does, it would be far too impractical.

Kraco
Sun, 07-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Other than her knack for learning every dialect of Japan, that is.

Actually even that would be enough for me, because I can't do that (with Finnish dialects).

Other than that, I can't recall any examples, because it was more like a feeling, and based on the story, not the character herself strictly. So, I didn't view her role as one of a fool, but as one trying to escape from her legacy.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 07-04-2011, 05:37 AM
We've only seen her as someone who appears to have no interest in her family's inn's wellbeing, more eager to enjoy her own life. We're not wrong there. That's exactly what she is.

I see that too, which makes me take her words both ways.

In one fashion, you can see her as a person who knows deep down, no matter how much money you get, people have to do something they like - or it's not going to work out, explaining why she's so far not really trying or giving a damn about anything in particular.

But on the other hand, it can become just an excuse if she arrives at the answer to say "If there's nothing that I like doing, I'll simply do nothing". Diving inspiration doesn't just come to you when you just chill around, sit on a massage chair and let life breeze by you. You really have to get out there and try things to see if something appeals to you. I suppose you can argue that living in an inn allows her to talk to people from all walks of life, if she so wants to.

Nevertheless, Yuina's words really did hit home for me. Time to think about what I really want to do again - but unlike her I'm not young anymore...

Her fiance sure turned the place into a management failure. "Keep to the schedule" - aka "I'm right, you're wrong. Keep working." He could benefit with a certain book, or an anime/live-action alternative, that young one. :P

Moving onto the lighter aspects of this episode, I was so pissed initially when I thought Nako was going to miss out on this trip. I still don't think they did her complete justice with such a standard one-piece that wasn't too different in colour to your school-swimsuits neither (as well as her unchanged hairstyle). It's in character, but... :'(

Ryllharu
Mon, 07-04-2011, 05:49 AM
...I was so pissed initially when I thought Nako was going to miss out on this trip. I still don't think they did her complete justice with such a standard one-piece that wasn't too different in colour to your school-swimsuits neither (as well as her unchanged hairstyle). It's in character, but... :'(
Think of it this way. If the boys drooled all over Yuina and Minko, take someone with Nako's body type (read: actually has some chest on her) and put her in a bikini. They'd go wild. From the earlier episode with the china dresses, Nako is rather aware of her own body, but she just wants to swim. Her choosing anything other than her competition swimsuit would be shameless, out of character fanservice.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 07-04-2011, 05:52 AM
Think of it this way. If the boys drooled all over Yuina and Minko, take someone with Nako's body type (read: actually has some chest on her) and put her in a bikini. They'd go wild. From the earlier episode with the china dresses, Nako is rather aware of her own body, but she just wants to swim. Her choosing anything other than her competition swimsuit would be shameless, out of character fanservice.

Yuina teasing Nako in the bath wouldn't be so out of character then, wouldn it? That didn't happen in this episode neither. :(

But. If Yuina's words are to be taken seriously *cough*, they'll be there for another week.

I'm pretty sure it was just her playing diva though.

edit: Minchi's swimsuit was somewhat disappointing too, heh.

RyougaZell
Mon, 07-04-2011, 08:21 AM
I always thought Yuina looked out of place in the intro and ending with the few appearances she had. It was quite nice to see an episode almost devoted to her. And like everybody has said, there definitely is more to her than what we thought.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 07-10-2011, 10:02 AM
HorribleSubs - Episode 15 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=227232)

Kraco
Sun, 07-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Okay, maybe she's stupid after all. Just high-class stupid, which fooled me. Although I suppose she can become less stupid in the future, since if this was the first time she needed to put any effort into anything, it means school has been easy for her. Reversing her opinion about managing an inn after cleaning one pool doesn't speak of huge insight, though. Perhaps she's un utterly spoiled but academically talented person who has had enough decent friends not to turn socially rotten.

Other than that, asking Minchi to buy a perverted souvenir and the later consequences were funny scenes.

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Yeah, Yuina tricked us all with her classy speech. I guess we all overestimated her.

I knew Ohana would end up meddling. I was particularly amused that she was flatly denied the first time.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 07-11-2011, 04:27 AM
Okay, maybe she's stupid after all.

I wouldn't say she's stupid, but we all did give her more credit than she was due. She's just like all of us younger generations who've been able to grow up simply studying for most of our lives and believe in "Do what you want to as a career" - which is true enough. The only thing is that we're only able to say these things in words, and really haven't gone the extra step to push ourselves outside of our comfort zone, to try different things, to confirm what it is that we do and don't like.

Imagine if Ohana stayed at Tokyo and simply continued schooling (and didn't have to look after herself and mother all these years)?

Yuina's immaturity was the most apparent when she felt she "lost" when the manager started to like Ohana more than her.

Regarding the inn denying Ohana's offer the first time, I thought it had something to with disliking Kissuiso at first.

Perhaps my favourite chuckle this week was how Ohana complained that Yuina gets rewarded with a bath and she got rewarded with a slap.

Kraco
Mon, 07-11-2011, 04:45 AM
Regarding the inn denying Ohana's offer the first time, I thought it had something to with disliking Kissuiso at first.

It was perfectly sensible and appropriate they refused her offer at first. As we later saw, they weren't at that point desperate enough to spoil a guest's vacation by having her work instead of relax. Ohana should have understood it from her own point of view as well: If a person visiting Kissuiso was forced, for example, to clean the bath themselves because no staff member had had time to do it, it would be a disaster to the inn professionally. Aside from such issues of pride, this was probably a jolly opportunity for her to experience how things work at bigger places, so it's not like she was only saving the hotel selflessly. But I do hope she at least got paid with a nice bonus!

Ryllharu
Mon, 07-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Regarding the inn denying Ohana's offer the first time, I thought it had something to with disliking Kissuiso at first.It very likely did. Not in a negative manner, but how one tends to dislike their rivals. After the manager admitted to having been trained in Yunosagi (noticeably not mentioning which inn he was trained at), I figured it had more to do with Shijima Sui's intense adherence to the experience an innkeeper is expected to provide. I do however, think it has everything to do with pride.

If he trained somewhere other than Kissuisou (pretty much a guarantee), he would be in effect admitting that his methods are inferior to Shijima Sui's. Taking on one of her employees that happened to have the audacity to solicit her assistance while staying at a guest would be to admit failure. The idea that a larger, less traditional inn is a model that demands too much and fails to provide a satisfactory experience. Which it ultimately did. The students didn't mind after they saw all of Kissuisou's workers helping out, and especially Yuina even pitching in. But a reviewer or any normal guest would never want to come back if asked to do the same. Fukuyo lucked out with the reaction the rest of the students gave.

They ultimately accepted Ohana's help because there was absolutely no choice.

MFauli
Mon, 07-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Damn, ep 15 out already? Oh well, just watched ep 14.

What impressed me the most was actually Yuina. They've spent all this time building her up as a nonchalant, ignorant, flippant, ditz. Even down to her manner of speaking. Yet she's actually anything but a ditz. We've only seen her as someone who appears to have no interest in her family's inn's wellbeing, more eager to enjoy her own life. We're not wrong there. That's exactly what she is. However, she's far more perceptive and informed than we were led to believe. She knows about the workings of an inn and she seems to know a lot more about the management of one than the audience, Ohana, or Minko ever suspected.

I absolutely disagree with your positive evalutation of Yuina. Im not going to decide whether sheīs dumb or not, but they way she acted towards her fiance was at best dumb, at worst ice cold. Assuming sheīs not dumb, she knew how much effort this guy put into fullfilling "their" dreams. And when she reveals to him at the end of the episode that she doesnt want to work at an inn, she keeps up her permanent happy-go-luck attitude and smiles at him while telling him the most shocking, bitter news.

I didnt like Yuina before, and this episode certainly didnt make me like her any better.

Also, poor guy that was asking out Minchi. Actually, is that some kind of theme going on in this show? Girls never telling someone that they love him, and boys doing exactly the opposite but getting shot down by their love interest? Rather frustrating. Ko tells Ohana, BAMM. Boy tells Minchi, BAMM, fiance tells Yuina about their future, BAMM. Damn, girls, get it together!

Ryllharu
Mon, 07-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Actually, is that some kind of theme going on in this show? Girls never telling someone that they love him, and boys doing exactly the opposite but getting shot down by their love interest? Rather frustrating. Ko tells Ohana, BAMM. Boy tells Minchi, BAMM, fiance tells Yuina about their future, BAMM. Damn, girls, get it together!How conveniently you forget the Tokyo bookstore girl. Completely the opposite.

MFauli
Mon, 07-11-2011, 06:02 PM
How conveniently you forget the Tokyo bookstore girl. Completely the opposite.

And afaik Ko told her that there was another girl - instead of running away or making up some excuse.

Ryllharu
Mon, 07-11-2011, 06:21 PM
And afaik Ko told her that there was another girl - instead of running away or making up some excuse.
Doesn't that prove my point? Let's look at it again:

...and [girls] doing exactly the opposite but getting shot down by their love interest?Yup. Completely the opposite from what you originally had claimed.

MFauli
Mon, 07-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Sure, but it still shows how the boy (Ko) handled the situation a million times better than the other girls in the show.

Edit:
Just saw ep 15:

Besides reinforcing my negative opinion regarding Yuina: The animators of this series are true masters. Not showing any real nudity during Ohanaīs and Minchiīs little fight in the bath was masterful (and a pitty lol).

shinta|hikari
Mon, 07-11-2011, 08:52 PM
An episode without Ko...

I just hope this does not spell the end of the pairing I'm shipping for.

Kraco
Tue, 07-12-2011, 01:35 AM
An episode without Ko...

I just hope this does not spell the end of the pairing I'm shipping for.

Ko left it completely in Ohana's hands when they parted in Tokyo (for the second time). And, seriously, Ohana can't spend even a school trip without working. Realistically speaking Ko is history unless he intends to wait until Ohana (possibly) hits the 30's crisis and suddenly starts to worry about not having a husband and kids. Although by that time they would be little better than strangers to each other anymore.

That being said, of course I still wish this anime would take an extra step to make something happen that would make Ohana miss Ko enough to contact him. But as long as it's just work work work for her, I don't see how that could happen.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 07-12-2011, 03:52 AM
I think Ko should just get off his ass and go to Ohana's place. He doesn't seem like the dreamer or ambitious type, so he should just live for romance.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 07-17-2011, 12:39 PM
HorribleSubs - Episode 16 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=228950)

Kraco
Sun, 07-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Frankly, I didn't like this episode. It's like everybody (or rather, the females) were on some drugs, behaving excessively elatedly and lightheadedly. To be point they forgot their work, despite the fact in all the previous eps they were so serious and proud of their jobs they couldn't even have a vacation without working. Maybe the best individual example was the fricking Strike Witches training of trying to fly with a broom... What the hell was that all about?

A most weird episode.

David75
Sun, 07-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Frankly, I didn't like this episode. It's like everybody (or rather, the females) were on some drugs, behaving excessively elatedly and lightheadedly. To be point they forgot their work, despite the fact in all the previous eps they were so serious and proud of their jobs they couldn't even have a vacation without working. Maybe the best individual example was the fricking Strike Witches training of trying to fly with a broom... What the hell was that all about?

A most weird episode.

Necessary Fanservice Ep but "Hanasaku Iroha" style :D

Talk about details: why have a crumbling Peugeot 205 CTI in Japan, just to be very original and have some kind of French touch for a Japanese film director?

Kraco
Sun, 07-17-2011, 03:52 PM
Talk about details: why have a crumbling Peugeot 205 CTI in Japan, just to be very original and have some kind of French touch for a Japanese film director?

Things like that only increase the feeling of realism. Small deviations, unexpected details, personality quirks... they are omnipresent in this world, so you must also include them in fiction if you want the audience to feel the setting is natural.

MFauli
Sun, 07-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Hm, I enjoyed that episode, but I agree with Kraco that everyone behaved quite differently.

Donīt know what else to say, since none of the main plotīs strings had been touched. Oh, definitely a wasted chance at some fan-service when Minchi got everyone wet. Come on, theyīre wearing white tops. White clothing meets water = :D

Though, did they mention if the film studio rented the whole inn for the filming? Or how did they work out the situation for normal guests?

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Frankly, I didn't like this episode. It's like everybody (or rather, the females) were on some drugs, behaving excessively elatedly and lightheadedly. That was the problem I had with the survivalist group, but here it made a great deal more sense. I thought it was a pretty good reaction for each of the respective characters. Maybe it doesn't happen that often where any of you are, but whenever Hollywood comes to a small town to do some filming, there is a local media frenzy, and everyone in whatever town it is happening in goes crazy. It was perfectly natural for all the waitresses to be freaking out about getting to star in it, and played nicely with Minko only wanting to play a chef (her own little dream). Others trying to take advantage of the visiting film crew. Even Beanman getting a little excited.

Magical girl training aside, it was the little touches that made the episode. They made a special point of the lead actress taking in every action Ohana's grandmother did when she entered with the tea. Absorbing it for future reference. A sign of a good actress. I'll admit I was worried it would turn out to be a scam when they were asking Jiro do write local scenes in for them, but they reversed that by arriving and doing all the real prep work. Doing screen tests and lighting checks, all the minor details were baked in.

Donīt know what else to say, since none of the main plotīs strings had been touched.

As for any of the "main plot's strings not getting touched," I would hazard to guess that one wasn't paying attention toward the end. This arc is pretty obviously some real character development for Enishi and Takako, as well as the first spoken line about Sui's successor. Satsuki probably could run the inn if she cared about it at all. The implication was made when she visited, but the subject wasn't actually brought up until now.

Enishi seems to have quite a bit of a sister-complex, but until this episode, he well grounded in his lack of confidence. Satsuki is ambitious and talented (even if she is incredibly selfish and lazy), and Enishi is normally only a follower. First his sister, now Takako. Instead of shooting the pair down, Sui finally gives her son's crazy schemes a chance, and one that may legitimately help Kissuisou out. In return, he takes charge and puts in a lot of effort to making sure it really is a success. Instead of leaning on Takako or hiding under the shadow of his sister and mother, he's showing some real determination.

Takako finally got to make a minor transition from a gag character to someone who actually is connected in the business world and seems to actually know her stuff. She had a few moments of serious conversation with Enishi, not her typical crazy, Engrish spouting nonsense. She got the ball rolling and proposed the idea to Enishi, who took it over while she backs him up. Judging from the preview, I'm guessing she'll get some more development next episode.

Though, did they mention if the film studio rented the whole inn for the filming? Or how did they work out the situation for normal guests?
Kissuisou doesn't exactly get a constant stream of business. They do what any film crew does. They rent the whole place out (for equipment storage space for sure, possible lodging as well), and if anyone had any reservations, the inn staff reschedule them (possibly even at a discount).

shinta|hikari
Mon, 07-18-2011, 10:37 PM
I don't think that Okami would reschedule other guests just to accommodate a film crew. I think they had no business at the time, so renting the whole place out was not only possible, but ideal for profit.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 07-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Donīt know what else to say, since none of the main plotīs strings had been touched.

Koh is going to see this movie.

RyougaZell
Thu, 07-21-2011, 08:18 AM
Heh... before the actual actresses arrived I was really sure it was a scam. And even after they did I had my doubts when they wanted to use Enishi as main character replacement only to use Ren at the end.

I actually laughed when Ohana and Nako where jumping around with the brooms.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 07-24-2011, 10:15 AM
HorribleSubs - Episode 17 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=230804)

RyougaZell
Sun, 07-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Heh... so it was a scam after all. But a very well done one to even scam those actors and camera crew. I still think Enishi and Takako are dumbasses. Loved how Minko watched with a dull face at the pool.

MFauli
Sun, 07-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Meh, that certainly was the least interesting turn of events. A whole episode to build up the film shooting, then have it be a scam. Ugh. :/

But somebody enlighten me: Can we assume that Enishi and Takako are now "together", or was that scene in the swimming pool for nothing?

Hereīs hope that next episode will be more Ohana-focused.

RyougaZell
Sun, 07-24-2011, 04:02 PM
The preview somehow tells me it will be Nako-focused =/

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Well, that's a pity it turned out to be a scam. At least it was a fairly elaborate one, with even film staff, actors and actresses being duped into making it look more legitimate.

The Enishi and Takako relationship is a fun one. Both of them are kind of sad in a way (Enishi being a loser, and Takako generally being a failure despite how hard she tries), but I felt that it made their connection a bit more appealing. She keeps coming back to their inn to meddle and prove herself, and he relentlessly defends her. The both of them have grown more honest and mature as a result of this whole debacle.

It was interesting to see Yuina's grandmother and the other catty inn owners be so dismissive of Yuina. More interesting was her reaction to it. Yuina's eyes narrow and was certainly upset that so many adults have so little respect for her. She ran as fast as she could (which is amusingly still pretty slow) to check on Kissuisou.

I do wonder where Satsuki falls in this. She flatly states that it isn't her place to take over the inn, but her daughter was sent there and angrily returned to Tokyo to defend it, she's shown considerable interest in its well-being.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 07-25-2011, 01:14 AM
I do wonder where Satsuki falls in this. She flatly states that it isn't her place to take over the inn, but her daughter was sent there and angrily returned to Tokyo to defend it, she's shown considerable interest in its well-being.

My general impression of her visit was that she confirmed that the inn as just as bad as she remembered it to be, but also got to relive the positive aspects too which have been shaddowed by the passasage of time by the negative memories.

What I didn't quite get was the conversation between the Madam and Enishi towards the end. What did she mean by "couldn't figure out whether he was stubborn or clumsy"? To me, they don't really cross lines.

It seems to have something to do with him trying things (such as piano or swimming), yet not getting it right - thereby confusing her as to whether Enishi was clumsy at stuff, or whether he was stubbon at trying to do something he wasn't good at. But... why discriminate between the two?

His "siscon" issue wasn't really solved neither. They played it out like it was admiration of a non-sexual nature just because Enishi sucked at everything his sister was good at - but again, that little scene at the end with his mother left me wondering.

One theory is that despite Madam having a "bad" relationship with Satsuki, she still sees her as the more competent child - and arguably "likes" her more. Enishi receptive of this, and admired his sister for being so talented, and at the same time tried to be so so his mum would also set eyes on him. Up till that phonecall, Madam still secretly wished Satsuki to inherit the inn - until she reckoned Enishi has grown competent enough to at least keep it afloat.

The preview somehow tells me it will be Nako-focused =/

OH-YEAH.jpg

Kraco
Tue, 07-26-2011, 03:58 PM
The inn is doomed with Enishi in charge. Even if Madam clearly foresaw this could turn out bad and only to serve as a very expensive lesson for Enishi. I didn't get the feeling he would still do anything differently in the future, especially if it was Takako suggesting something. Although ironically enough this whole fiasco might have helped Takako get some real perspective instead of Enishi - and Madam doesn't even really care for Takako's methods (or perhaps even her whole existence) in general. But I suppose if those two do get together, it won't thus be a lesson entirely wasted.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 07-31-2011, 12:24 PM
Horriblesubs - Episode 18 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=232821)

MFauli
Sun, 07-31-2011, 03:25 PM
Lol, fan-service overload. Mermaid Nako, omg. And then this episode just kept delivering the Nako-goods.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 07-31-2011, 11:14 PM
Lol, fan-service overload. Mermaid Nako, omg. And then this episode just kept delivering the Nako-goods.

Hmm.. Nako's goods.. :D

I liked how Nako pretty much blamed the "averageness" of Ohana on her lack of sexiness.

After all that fanservice (which I loved) though, I'm not sure what the overall message for Nako was. She figured out that "change" in and of itself wasn't necessarily a good though, and also saw some of the good points that she had when he's in her "land" mode.

What was really confusing too was that at tbe beginning, Mermaid-Nako states that she didn't want to go on land at all - whereas she actually wanted to adapt to the outside world. Then towards the end of the episode she says that it's alright to aim for the land - but the then she's not trying to force herself to change anymore, and seems instead to just be fine with how she acts on land.

Ryllharu
Mon, 08-01-2011, 03:28 AM
Most of what I could say about this episode would boil down to, "Ooo, Sexy Nako. Ohana makes funny faces."
After all that fanservice (which I loved) though, I'm not sure what the overall message for Nako was.I think the message overall was that she didn't need to be one or the other. It's perfectly fine for her to act in two different ways. She's still Nako both times. The whole mermaid analogy doesn't really compare to that well though, other than her love of swimming, I'm not sure why they used it.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-01-2011, 04:36 AM
The whole mermaid analogy doesn't really compare to that well though, other than her love of swimming, I'm not sure why they used it.

And that the ero-prince ruined her perception of people for good. XD

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-01-2011, 06:51 AM
I hope more people can be proud of their flatness. While I appreciate voluptuous beauty, I dislike it when slim girls are envious of those with "assets." Ohana looked great in those clothes as well.

RyougaZell
Mon, 08-01-2011, 11:00 AM
This reminded me of the episode focussed on the waitress leader back when the season started (forgot her name). Quite enjoyable to see more of Nako, but as much as I like the series, I don't know what to expect from the following episodes now that the Ko issue seems to have been forgotten and we haven't even seen more of Tohru's infatuation with Ohana.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-01-2011, 11:19 AM
This reminded me of the episode focussed on the waitress leader back when the season started (forgot her name). Quite enjoyable to see more of Nako, but as much as I like the series, I don't know what to expect from the following episodes now that the Ko issue seems to have been forgotten and we haven't even seen more of Tohru's infatuation with Ohana.

Indeed it's like Tomoe's ep with her having to call back for arranged dates and all. This one did fit in better since it came right after the Filming arc, which was kinda weird in its own right anyway. Tomoe's was slap bang in the middle of the earlier episodes which had a much more linear flow compared to recent weeks.

Ryllharu
Sun, 08-07-2011, 05:11 PM
[HorribleSubs] Hanasaku Iroha - 19 (720p) (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=234960)

HorribleSubs had some odd translation choices and Westernizations this time, so if that bothers you, wait for another version.
(Details: Turning the use of a name without honorifics into a cheesy nickname. Using "Cleopatra" for "Yamato Nadeshiko (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/lexicon.php?id=90)")

--------------------

It's nice to see that Nako has changed noticeably to the rest of the staff and it looks like we're finally getting some real Minko development and back story.

I'm kind of split on how she's acting though. On the one hand, I agree with her that cooking a bad omelet rice is reason not to include it in the menu, while on the other, Minko is so overly concerned about the food being perfect because she believes that Tohru will be eating it. Her accusations toward the other girl fall a little flat because Minko is doing the same under the pretext of having pride in her work...but only we (and probably Ohana) know that. I'm guessing that Tohru isn't really concerned with the food, but is interested in seeing Ohana in the frilly waitress uniform again. I'm glad they're bringing that triangle as well as hints of Ko back into the story.

The preview and Minko's initial deadpan reaction to the omelet rice hint that there might be more going on.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-08-2011, 08:05 AM
I'm split too, but even though Minko will "feel" hypocritical to us since we know Tohru's part of the reason, the fact is it's not interfering with her work, unlike choosing between bad omelette rice vs serving a dish your loved one likes (and everyone else will probably be disappointed at).

I guess we'll never know (or perhaps we will, if the events have a bit of a spin next episode) how Minko would have treated this job if Tohru wasn't coming.

fireheart
Mon, 08-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Personally I don't think it would have mattered if Tohru was coming or not, when it comes to her work she's pretty stubborn and probably takes quite a lot of pride in it. So chances are she would have taken the omelet rice off the menu regardlessly, I mean when the girls told her they can't have broiled fish because they don't have the equipment for it she seemed disappointed but accepted it without an argument compared to what the other girls did. The only thing imo that might have differed is how she would have explained it.

Let's say she didn't have any feelings for Tohru and he was coming then it'd still be pretty bad if they went with omelet rice if she knew they couldn't make a good one. What kind of apprentice cooks something they know can't be served at their workplace and even has the chef eat it? It'd reflect pretty bad on her and on all that time she spent working her ass off to improve her cooking and by extension the chance Tohru gave her and he might question his decision about taking her in as an apprentice. So the only thing that comes off as hypocritical to me was the work and relationships though I do believe she was being honest when she said she think of this as the same as with her work.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Ah, I forgot about the broiled fish. That makes Minko's reasoning all the better then.

MFauli
Mon, 08-08-2011, 09:40 AM
I donīt really see how there could have come up any drama between the cooking girls. If itīs true that they donīt have the equipment to make proper omelets, they canīt make them. Fullstop. They intend to sell their food, so selling shitty food should be out of the question for ALL the girls. I guess Minko did a bad job at explaining that, though. It sucks that sheīs hypocrite, since she also wants to impress the person she loves, but as you guys said, it doesnīt interfere with work in her case.

However, I could imagine that her train of thought could backfire, like Tohru coming to get some food and then be disappointed, because he expected to get a more simple dish, wanting to be reminded of his own time in school. Weīll see.

Ryllharu
Mon, 08-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Personally I don't think it would have mattered if Tohru was coming or not, when it comes to her work she's pretty stubborn and probably takes quite a lot of pride in it. So chances are she would have taken the omelet rice off the menu regardlessly, I mean when the girls told her they can't have broiled fish because they don't have the equipment for it she seemed disappointed but accepted it without an argument compared to what the other girls did. The only thing imo that might have differed is how she would have explained it.I think it does matter, and the broiled fish was a key part of it. Minko wasn't really happy about being put in charge of cooking initially. She wasn't really all that enthused about it until Tohru suggested that he might stop by. From that point forward, Minko got super excited about the task, and really focused on making it as perfect as possible. The broiled fish is the thing that she is always put in charge of at Kissuisou. While on the one hand that might be explained by it being the one thing she was particularly confident she could execute well, but at the same time, it's something Tohru frequently reprimands her on (when she spaces out). It is something that she would want to show she can execute flawlessly. She came to her senses pretty quickly once the equipment limitation was mentioned, but it was still something she wanted to include from the very start. I would say Minko's initial menu is open to a lot of interpretation.

I donīt really see how there could have come up any drama between the cooking girls. If itīs true that they donīt have the equipment to make proper omelets, they canīt make them. Fullstop. They intend to sell their food, so selling shitty food should be out of the question for ALL the girls. I guess Minko did a bad job at explaining that, though. It sucks that sheīs hypocrite, since she also wants to impress the person she loves, but as you guys said, it doesnīt interfere with work in her case.In the other girl's defense, they probably don't know how to cook that well. Certainly not as well as Minko does. They probably did think that a hotplate can properly cook an omelet. I agree that Minko went the wrong about explaining why it shouldn't be done. What she should have done is compromise. Have the one girl cook the omelet rice in the home-ec room, and then rush it back to deliver it to her crush. That way, Minko wouldn't have the menu be compromised, and the girl would have been able to give a "special menu" to her crush. Would have been win-win. Sadly, Minko is a bit insensitive to the feelings of others, she always has.

animus
Mon, 08-08-2011, 06:33 PM
I'm pretty sure the reason Minko didn't want to add the Omurice was due to the fact that it was simple and she couldn't show it off to Tohru. Not that it was hard to make, or hard to make it taste good on a hot plate.

Also, omelet rice is easy as all hell to make, even on a hot plate (electric too). I've done it before numerous times. It's also facetious that she's trying to cook Jibuni with Beef (not to mention Beef takes much longer to cook than eggs) and Miso Mackerel which is a much harder dish to make than a simple Omelet Rice.

edit: Although I could be wrong in the fact that Minko or the show's creators do in fact believe you can't make an Omelet Rice that tastes good on an electric hot plate.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-08-2011, 07:39 PM
If they prepare the rice beforehand, the omurice can indeed taste practically the same even on a hotplate.

RyougaZell
Mon, 08-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Heh, personally I'm siding with Minko on this one. While her own actions could be influenced by Tohru... she did had a good point towards a dish badly prepared is not good for a chef in training like her. In her own mind every dish must be perfect... and dishes she wanted herself couldn't be done due to the limitations.

Heh... I used to dislike Minko at the start of the series. Now? She probably is my favorite after Ohana.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-08-2011, 11:58 PM
While she did look sincere when she said that, I really don't see how making omurice with a hot plate is much different from making it with a pan. In fact, it might even be easier to fold and seal.

fireheart
Tue, 08-09-2011, 04:20 AM
I think it does matter, and the broiled fish was a key part of it. Minko wasn't really happy about being put in charge of cooking initially. She wasn't really all that enthused about it until Tohru suggested that he might stop by. From that point forward, Minko got super excited about the task, and really focused on making it as perfect as possible.

Fired up sure I'll agree on that but that doesn't mean she wouldn't have taken the task as seriously as she did after all she was put in charge of cooking even though she was reluctant I'll bet that part of her is happy for the chance to serve her food and could be seen as training. As I said in my eyes she's full of pride when it comes to work and would have worked just as hard no matter if he was coming or not. Of course this is only a theory but I can't see Minko doing a half assed job in something when cooking is involved since it'd go against everything we've seen about her so far, can you see her doing that?

And again I don't think her romantic feelings to Tohru matters because when you've given such a chance like she was given thanks to him you'd want to show that they weren't wrong or at least show that you've improved, it doesn't have to be perfect like you said just not so-so. I would have done the same thing if I was confident that the omelet rice would only turn out meh.

The only thing I think she did wrong is the way she handled it but in her defense the other girl is the one that started throwing a hiss and scream, Minko on the other hand didn't reply angrily away but answered normally though her choice of words might not have been the best and then you got the girls ganging up on her immediately. Also we don't know what happened while Ohana was out so she might have explained why they can't make a good omelet rice on a hot plate.

While she did look sincere when she said that, I really don't see how making omurice with a hot plate is much different from making it with a pan. In fact, it might even be easier to fold and seal.

Seeing as they're making such a big deal out of it I'm guessing it's not that easy, I've never made it myself nor cooked anything on a hot plate, the omelet might work fine but what about the rice etc? Then again you did say they could prepare it before hand. Of course if could be something unexpected like that fact that Minko just don't know how to make it.

Ryllharu
Tue, 08-09-2011, 04:34 AM
Seeing as they're making such a big deal out of it I'm guessing it's not that easy, I've never made it myself nor cooked anything on a hot plate, the omelet might work fine but what about the rice etc? Then again you did say they could prepare it before hand. Of course if could be something unexpected like that fact that Minko just don't know how to make it.They are allowed to use a rice cooker, so the rice is not an issue.

In regards to how easy it is to make omelet rice on a hotplate, I don't know about in other countries, but in the US these days, you're lucky if you can get a hotplate that will boil a pot of water. Electric kettles are great, but it's hard to actually cook on a tiny element "burner" that turns itself off all the time in the name of safety. Good luck finding the right temperature as well. If anything, this is probably what Minko is concerned about. She's used to using professional level equipment, and furthermore, natural gas. if you want to cook outside of a kitchen, that's what propane stoves are for...at least in my country (either portable burners or a gas grill). That's not the worst thing though. Countertop Fryers in the US will barely get to 350°F (175C), much less the 400°F (205C) that you need to cook tempura and the like.

fireheart
Tue, 08-09-2011, 04:45 AM
They are allowed to use a rice cooker, so the rice is not an issue.

I thought it's suppose to be stir-fried rice not cooked rice.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-09-2011, 05:24 AM
I have made the dish about a dozen times, with different variations.

Like I said, if you prepare the rice (not just plain rice, but with the chicken and the tomato sauce/ketchup, or whatever variation you decide to do) ahead of time with an actual wok/pan, it should not affect the flavor of the dish. You only need to cook the beaten egg on the hotplate, place the rice on top, then fold. This is the correct way to do it if you are running a small restaurant or cafe.

If she intends to cook it fresh each time with that equipment, well, good luck.

Ryllharu
Sun, 08-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Hanasaku Iroha - 20 (720p) [HorribleSubs] (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=236727)

-------------------

Turns out, improper cooking equipment is exactly why Minko refused the first time. By the looks of the "hotplate" (read: under-powered griddle), I'd say her concerns were well founded. That griddle isn't even elevated off the surface, so it can't possibly put out any real heat. Even after Minko was taught the alternative method by Minko, Ohana, and Yuina, they still ended up with stiff, overcooked eggs a few times by the looks of it. Minko had zero issues making it in a proper kitchen. Amusingly, omelet rice happens to be one of her favorite meals. That goes a long way into explaining why she was so insistent it wasn't going to be done if it was going to end up poorly made.

Mini-Minko was adorable. I wonder if we'll ever see a smile like that from her now that she's older. That's more of an Ohana expression, and I honestly have trouble imagining current-Minko using that without coming off creepy.

Also in this episode: Ohana has been reduced to comedy relief status. :/

Kraco
Sun, 08-14-2011, 12:22 PM
That was the most positive possible solution to the omelet rice issue. It wasn't all to surprising a young cook like Minchi, who had extra pressure to show the laymen she really is a pro, didn't think of a corners-cut omurice herself. With Tohru going to pay a visit, she could only think of the best alternative. Too bad her efforts were partially wasted with Tohru making the wrong assumption every single serving had "love" written on it...

If I judged correctly the next ep preview, Minko won't have a reason to smile brightly in the near future.

MFauli
Sun, 08-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Too bad her efforts were partially wasted with Tohru making the wrong assumption every single serving had "love" written on it...

I hated this sooo much. You think that finally thereīs some progress in the plot, and then itīs all for nothing. Sigh.

RyougaZell
Sun, 08-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Tohru is way too oblivious. Overall fantastic ep. Though like Ryll didn't quite like that Ohana was used for comic relief this time around. But I really liked how she and Minko argued when cutting the onions.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-15-2011, 12:44 AM
Tohru is way too oblivious.

I really can't blame him since he saw the other dish though. As he said, he never even had omurice and assumed "love" just comes with the package.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-15-2011, 06:12 AM
He's never made omurice. He didn't say he hasn't eaten it before.

Rebirth of Die... I just hope Tohru really does not like Ohana seriously. That will make the story too melodramatic and soapy for me.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-15-2011, 06:44 AM
He's never made omurice. He didn't say he hasn't eaten it before.

Ah, my bad then.

RyougaZell
Mon, 08-15-2011, 08:15 AM
I actually want Tohru to end up with Ohana, but that won't happen =P

MFauli
Mon, 08-15-2011, 09:13 AM
Ohana should apologize to Ko-chan and give him a nice....oh sorry, cannot write that. :D

Anyway, you know whoīs kinda annoying me? Nako-chan. We had a whole episode showing her personal growth, but now it seems that sheīs completely back to "normal". It somehow bothers me how extremely shy sheīs acting again. Being shy is only cute for so long.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-21-2011, 10:36 AM
HorribleSubs - Episode 21 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=238946)

David75
Sun, 08-21-2011, 12:59 PM
just watched 20 and 21

EP 20 Regarding the omurice, I'm fairly sure Tohru would notice the Love and heart size are a lot different in his plate.

EP 21: I loved Ren-san's reaction to Tomoe's inner speech :D

I loved the last scene too.

MFauli
Sun, 08-21-2011, 02:54 PM
okay, at this point in time, about the only person I donīt hate is the head chef.

Damn, this episode made my dislike everyone :D

- Tohru being dense as ever
- Minko still unable to confess
- Ohana being her usual dumb self
- Nako, well, nothing in this episode, but her shyness in general
- Enishi seemingly having not evolved at all, still to naive (but at least a good natured person)
- Takako almost canceling the wedding, wtf. Way to break a manīs heart, bitch.
- Okamisan, not letting Enishi and Takako succeed the inn. Seriously, if she gives it to Ohanaīs bitch mum, Iīll have to destroy something

Hereīs what I want to happen in the left episodes:

- Tohru and Minko getting together
- Ohana apologizing to Kou-chan and getting together with him
- Enishi and Takako proving that theyīre capable of running the inn
- Okamisan allowing them to succeed the inn
- Nako-chan getting together with the pervert author, for the lulz

David75
Sun, 08-21-2011, 03:13 PM
I think this anime pretty much is telling us Ohana is the successor to the inn...
She's familly
She's able to have people following her ideas and most of the time good ones at that
She loves the place

She only needs experience.
Okami-san being only in her late 60's, she might live long enough to train Ohana into the head of Kissuisso for at least 5 if not 10 years.

Just my 2 cents.

Kraco
Sun, 08-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Yeah, Ohana inheriting popped into my mind the moment Okamisan told Takako they won't. Although there would be huge practical difficulties just five years probably wouldn't be able to solve. Ohana knows nothing of management, larger financies, business legislation, business practices (running a company with employees, bureaucracy), dealing with other businesses (partners, suppliers, competitors)... Well, 10 years might be enough especially if a part of it was getting a degree from an appropriate business school.

Minko really was cracking in this episode. As much as she wants to be a fine cook, she's, in the end, still a girl, not a woman, and thus the situation with Tohru and Ohana affects her disastrously. On the other hand, if it didn't affect her at this point, she surely wouldn't move forward at all. This might finally push her to confess to Tohru.

Ryllharu
Sun, 08-21-2011, 05:09 PM
- Enishi seemingly having not evolved at all, still to naive (but at least a good natured person)
- Takako almost canceling the wedding, wtf. Way to break a manīs heart, bitch.
Enishi not evolved at all? Were we watching the same episode? Until a couple episodes ago, he could barely get up the determination to confront his mother about anything, followed Takako around like a lost puppy, and was easily beaten into submission by Takako or anyone else. Now he's determined to commit to a given plan, accept sole responsibility for the consequences, willing to make Takako happy by any means necessary, and stand up to his mother (or sister most likely) in order to get what he wants.

He spent pretty much the entire day in that latter part of the episode calling everyone he knew at all to get him a discount on a high-quality ring for Takako. He's glad that his "family" at the inn is so happy to pitch in to help them save money, but he was firm in not allowing Takako to have a cheap ring.

As for Takako herself, she tried to cancel the wedding (temporarily) because she could see it was too much of a burden for both the inn and Enishi. She didn't want him to feel like he wasn't going to be good enough for her, that he had let her down by settling for a discount wedding. If anything, her trying to postpone/cancel the wedding is what convinced Sui that she could give Takako and Enishi her old wedding ring. Sui knew at that moment that Takako would be willing to forgo her own happiness for the sake of her would-be husband, that Takako would be a devoted and loving wife. Same goes for all the effort Enishi was putting forth to make sure Takako would have a memorable wedding despite the circumstances.

Just like Sui and her husband were to each other.

Although there would be huge practical difficulties just five years probably wouldn't be able to solve.
[details]
I wouldn't be so sure. I agree that Ohana would have quite a bit of things to go through (certainly most of what you detailed), but it wouldn't be like she doesn't have a very talented family to back her up. If Sui asks Enishi and Takako to support Ohana as she takes over as the Okami of Kissuisuo, Ohana would be pretty well set. Despite all her crazy schemes, we found out during the movie scam that Takako does have a strong business sense. She tries out a lot of crazy things to make money quick, but she's really rather competent when it comes to regular finances. Enishi knows the inn since he's lived their his entire life (except college...and maybe even then), so he could certainly take the place of Momiji after he retires or passes away. There is a talented wait staff and kitchen crew. While Ohana trained up on the details, the rest of the staff can cover the gaps.

Ohana already knows the vital part of the operation from when Sui was in the hospital. Repeat customers are their lifeblood, and taking good notes ensures that the treatment they receive will have them keep coming back.

edit: The toughest part of training would to have her learn to tone down the spaz and act more dignified.

Kraco
Sun, 08-21-2011, 05:43 PM
I admit if Enishi and Takako actually stayed behind to assist Ohana (swallowing the humiliation), it would most likely work easily enough, assuming they would listen to anything Ohana says. I, however, discounted that possibility. Perhaps hastily.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-22-2011, 07:06 AM
Takako wanted to cancel the wedding because she thought that Okami would not let Enishing inherit the inn if they were to marry. Her comments when Okami gave her the ring indicate so.

I think the reason Okami said what she did about Enishi inheriting the inn is because she intends to close it down. At the beginning of the episode, Okami was discussing something with Denroku. I think it is about the impossibility of keeping the inn afloat.

David75
Mon, 08-22-2011, 07:13 AM
That would explain why she was ok with Enishi and Takako experimenting in the last few episodes.

I did not see that.

Maybe there's a twist to it too, after all that inn is after her name and she doesn't want to give Kissuisuou, but would give the inn, like the previous owners did ;)

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Bean-man looked so... weird. Like, scheming, smiley-face weird.

Ryllharu
Mon, 08-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Takako wanted to cancel the wedding because she thought that Okami would not let Enishing inherit the inn if they were to marry. Her comments when Okami gave her the ring indicate so.

I think the reason Okami said what she did about Enishi inheriting the inn is because she intends to close it down. At the beginning of the episode, Okami was discussing something with Denroku. I think it is about the impossibility of keeping the inn afloat.
That's not the way I took it. Sui got her old ring the very moment Takako suggested that she wanted to cancel the wedding, before she stated that she, 'understood why they couldn't be in charge of the inn.' The rest of Takako's lines are supporting her belief that Sui hates her. Takako has the impression that Sui thinks she is reckless (from all her stupid schemes). Takako was more likely trying to prove herself (for Enishi, for herself, for society, doesn't really matter). Her schemes and Enishi being a bit of a dummy are why she said the line about Sui thinks they're not worthy to run the inn.

Arguments supporting Takako's belief that Sui hates her, arguments that she isn't worthy of being Sui's daughter in law. Sui's story really meant that she and her husband also faced tough times, but it was good enough that they wanted to stand by each other. Where Takako was mistaken was in thinking that being given the ring also meant that she and Enishi should take over the inn. Sui gave her the ring because Takako admitted she wasn't worthy...which in turn makes her worthy. Humility is a big thing for Sui, even if it is the antithesis of her own daughter's disposition.

As for Momiji, wasn't there a line a few episodes ago about how he was away visiting family? I'd be far more willing to believe that he was telling Sui that he was going to retire, and that his family had offered him a place in their home, wherever that is. That's why her expression was both accepting yet wistful. He's been with them the whole time, and thus his departure would make her sad. It wasn't something she said to him, it was something he said to her. "This is my final work log," or something to that effect.
edit: It wasn't the finances book. Sui and Enishi handle that. It was a work log. Unless the boilers are going to explode, it isn't something that will close down the inn.

That outcome supports my belief that Sui will ask Takako and Enishi to support the other successor, be it either Ohana or Satsuki.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-28-2011, 11:30 AM
HorribleSubs - Episode 22 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=240874)

Kraco
Sun, 08-28-2011, 03:53 PM
After 22 eps I still can't predict, even with the preview, if Ko is still actually single and waiting for Ohana or if he got together with the bookshop girl and Ohana is in for a completely different sort of experience in love than what she was expecting. Naturally I hope Ko was patiently waiting for the fickle girl, but honestly a nasty plot element like that in this show wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Anyway, this episode was quite nice. Really heated emotions but fortunately the whole issue with Minchi was solved before it got ridiculous. It was excellent Tohru was exposed to it purely by chance. That saved a lot of unnecessary drama. Although the cat fight wasn't a bad watch.