PDA

View Full Version : Steins;Gate

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-04-2011, 06:46 PM
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g310/shinta617/steins-gate-wallpaper2.jpg

UTW-Mazui_SteinsGate_-_01 (http://mazuisubs.com/torrents/UTW-Mazui_SteinsGate_-_01_SD040FAC03.mkv.torrent)

There is a description in ANN, but that contained spoilers so I chose not to include it here. I think it is better if a lot is left to mystery for better enjoyment of this kind of show.

This is based on the visual novel developed by 5pb. and Nitroplus, who also teamed up for Chaos Head, so for those who have seen that, you will have an idea of what to expect. For those who haven't, it is basically going to be one weird, confusing, and mysterious roller coaster ride. The art is much better compared to Chaos Head though.

RyougaZell
Mon, 04-04-2011, 07:25 PM
You forgot to mention its and SD from a webcast... is it watchable at least?

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Well, I watched it, but if you are picky then you can wait.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 04-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Confusing as hell.

Watching.

Horriblesubs - Episode 01 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=204250)
UTW-Mazui - Episode 01 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=204343)

RyougaZell
Thu, 04-07-2011, 09:24 AM
I need to watch another episode... the first one didn't convince me.

masamuneehs
Fri, 04-08-2011, 10:44 AM
going to give this one a try... hope it's not another chaos:head.... confusion is great atmosphere, and can add a nice dimension to a story. but if when the dust settles it's just been another standard harem adventure masked by confusion, well...

KitKat
Fri, 04-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I was pretty disappointed by Chaos:head. However, I'll stick with this one if only because shinta has been promoting it so enthusiastically. The first episode wasn't anything spectacular, but I love how the girl's role in the lab is to sew cosplay costumes. If only my research lab would hire me to knit....

Kraco
Fri, 04-08-2011, 04:20 PM
If only my research lab would hire me to knit....

You wouldn't like eating the gel bananas, which is the second part of the job description.

I dropped Chaos Head halfway through, so I certainly hope this will be different. At least this first episode was very confusing, largely because the main character seems to have gel bananas also inside his head to make him so hard to follow. However, I do hope this trend continues consistently, keeping this show different.

Kana Hanazawa being in the VA cast is one extra thing making me want to try to stick to the show.

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-10-2011, 05:59 AM
The premise behind the series interested me, but this show makes for a horrible first impression. The presentation was awful. I got bored the first time I tried to watch it and didn't even get to the OP. I finally made an effort this time, but nothing really improved in the latter half.

The lead is obnoxious and the "hacker" is almost as bad. Nothing about Kurisu stood out aside from her red hair, and the only character I liked was Mayuri (and not just because of Hanazawa Kana, but because she actually seemed to have a personality).

I'd say more...but not a whole hell of lot actually happened in those 23 minutes.

This has two episodes to turn it around, or I won't even hesitate to drop it.

Kraco
Sun, 04-10-2011, 06:51 AM
You do realise the main character is lacking a few gears to have a complete clockwork, right? You can call a crazy person obnoxious, but insanity has various forms. And it takes an "almost as bad" a person to keep company to a lunatic, explaining the hacker. Of course from a viewer's pov if you can't stand them, you should just drop the series. But it's not the show's fault.

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-10-2011, 07:17 AM
Yes, I realize he is filled to the brim with paranoia, but that does not somehow excuse the show. Someone wrote his character and this scenario.

The bigger issue is the presentation. It tries to create mystery through incoherence. That's amateur-hour stuff. The viewer has only a vague idea of what is going on because the main character babbles random garbage.

The hacker is almost as bad because his voice is annoying, and doesn't seem to have much personality either. That one is at least excusable because he had relatively little dialogue. He did come off as a fairly realistic character, but I fail to see how he is "explained" as a balance point to Okabe. That's airhead Mayuri's job, and possibly Kurisu (who is intelligent without being paranoid-schizo).

Kraco
Sun, 04-10-2011, 07:33 AM
I don't think they foremost tried to create mystery through incoherence. My take was they tried to make the audience confused - just like the main character seems to be permanently confused in his paranoia. I don't actually care that much for depictions of madness so don't think I'd be loving this shows after the first ep, but I consider this somewhat successful at what it tried to do.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 04-10-2011, 08:21 AM
I like this kind of delivery. It makes the story less straightforward, and keeps the audience guessing. In an age where we got generic crap plots left and right, I would prefer a mysterious generic crap plot (if it is indeed generic crap, which might be far from the truth).

I also like the fact that they didn't do the usual 1st episode appeal intro in most anime nowadays, where each girl tries to show off her moe characteristics for a certain period of time, without any relevance to the story. I think it is much too early to judge the characters as boring after just meeting them. You just might find facets that are really interesting as we get to know them better during story progression.

The only thing I didn't like in this show is the VA for the protagonist. Why is Takuto's voice so popular nowadays? I blame Durarara for it. At least he does not sound as prissy in this role.

RyougaZell
Sun, 04-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Yeah, I was pretty disappointed by Chaos:head. However, I'll stick with this one if only because shinta has been promoting it so enthusiastically. The first episode wasn't anything spectacular, but I love how the girl's role in the lab is to sew cosplay costumes. If only my research lab would hire me to knit....

If this ends like Chaos:head, I'll drop it immediately. After all, I dropped Chaos:head after one episode. Episode 2 will probably define if I watch this or not.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 04-10-2011, 11:39 AM
I can't vouch for the content, since I only looked forward to this because of the character design for Kurisu, but here is a vague review on the game story that might help people decide whether to drop this or not.

Contains mild SPOILERS:

The story was really well thought out and it did a great job of tying the loose ends together for a grand ending. The amount of facts poured into this game is amazing, and how the story progressed seemed to be all perfectly calculated. The emotions of characters were really well written, and the voices were very well done to accompany it. However, there were few negative things that I personally disliked which really did not make this a great game for me. First, I really hated most of the characters including the protagonist. The protagonist acted too childish for me for most of the story and there was too many 2ch/eroge talk, and a lot of the characters were too unrealistic. I also hated how things were so convenient for the protag in the middle of the story (although there’s a reason for it revealed later). Now, the biggest disappointment for me was that there was pretty much no excitement. Almost everything that happened was foreseeable since the events occur like a backtrack of the first half, and there are so many hints dropped that you know what happens next (for example, would you expect something to succeed the first time when you’re told that you have two chances?). It felt like watching a horror movie where you knew how the person running away will survive, so there was no feeling of excitement or suspense.

Here is a summary of that:

Recommended for: People who like time loop stuff, people who like drama, people who love a complete ending where everything comes together.
Not recommended for: People who enjoy surprise turns in the story, people who want ero, and people who expect exciting fights from Nitro+

Aside from the fact that there are no twists (I LOVE twists), this seems to be perfect for me.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-10-2011, 11:54 AM
I guess it's no Higurashi if there are no twists then.

animus
Tue, 04-12-2011, 05:44 PM
Me = ?_?

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-12-2011, 07:10 PM
HorribleSubs - Episode 02 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=205814)

shinta|hikari
Tue, 04-12-2011, 08:33 PM
I can't quite place what kind of character our tensai shoujo is. She does not seem like a dere type at all, since she was fairly nice and congenial even on the first meeting. She seems almost too normal for someone of her intellect. I love how cruel she can get though. She spent the entire lecture poking fun at him, while managing to teach properly.

LOL@trap.

So far, all that has happened are character introductions. I expect things to move forward next episode, with Kurisu seeing Okarin's green banana and all.

Inazuma
Wed, 04-13-2011, 09:45 AM
This is great, somehow heading towards "The girl who leaped through time" in a much weireder way.
So far so good,

Ryllharu
Wed, 04-13-2011, 07:02 PM
I tried. I really did. The second episode failed to excite me, so I was at least going to give it the service of finishing the episode. But it so utterly failed to fundamentally engage me or even get me interested that I just paused halfway, skimmed the rest, and deleted the series.

Yes, some of the characters were interesting during the second episode. Okarin wasn't as much of a paranoid psychotic asshole as I thought he was (actually pretty nice overall). However, the delivery and presentation of this series is just completely disappointing. I like this kind of material, but this series sadly just isn't very good.

It simply doesn't live up to the hype it was getting from blogs, forums, and other sites.

Recommended for: People who like time loop stuff, people who like drama, people who love a complete ending where everything comes together.I respectfully disagree, because I too like those things, and this series is doing rather poorly at the first two (can't speak to the third). I would certainly hesitate to recommend this to anyone.

Xelbair
Thu, 04-14-2011, 02:37 PM
I also dropped it - after first ep. It was just stupid, it tried hard to be 'artistic' and have some 'deeper' meaning but failed hard. Chaos;Head at least was interesting as start.

Ryllharu
Thu, 04-14-2011, 03:32 PM
it tried hard to be 'artistic' and have some 'deeper' meaning but failed hard.A lot of the hype seemed to be surrounding the art. I can't say whether or not that makes up for where the series fails in delivery in the game game version, but I didn't really get the feeling it was trying to be artsy the same way that a series like ef - a tale of memories (or melodies) was artsy.

Unique visual styles are pretty hard to pull off successfully, Gankutsuou does it, ef as mentioned above does it, and a few other shaft series do (though some of those have fallen flat). They're obviously quite a bit more expensive than the more streamlined and generic design many adaptations adopt.

Xelbair
Fri, 04-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Ef had nice feel to its art - it flowed naturally and was a great fit for the series, but art style seems to be forced in Steins - like some kind of pseudo-metaphysical lyrics.

David75
Fri, 04-15-2011, 03:35 PM
I don't care about the art.
That second ep started to make a little sense.
Makise is incredibly proficient at nowadays advanced 11 dimensions universe mathematical models.

"... We can conclude that, in a string theory based universe, time travel is impossible"
Nice irony, to the point of being an inside joke.

Let's see what ep 3 will look like

KitKat
Fri, 04-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Well, despite the negative opinions here, I'm still interested in this show. Enough to keep watching at least. I can start to see where the story is going, and I'd like to see how it unfolds.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 04-15-2011, 04:47 PM
I'm actually surprised that Makise showed up in their lab. I thought she was going to be out of the loop, and merely played the part of a victim, rather than an active member of the team.

I'm trying to piece together what has been happening so far, but it gets pretty confusing. If we assume that Kurisu is the one who is maintaining a linear path in the timeline, the 1st meeting, meaning when Okarin first meets Kurisu on the hallway and she took his phone, was after the 2nd meeting, which was when he started touching her cheek. In Kurisu's POV (which seems to be more reliable than Okarin's since he is the one jumping around the timeline), we have 3 relevant events so far that are arranged in the following order:

Cheek touching -> Phone Taking -> Kurisu's death

In this case, Kurisu's appearance in the lab has to happen somewhere in between the "Cheek touching" and her death. The question is, did Kurisu's appearance in the lab happen before or after the "Phone Taking"? I cannot really say for certain, but since Kurisu dragged Okarin outside and took his phone, it is probable that she was familiar enough to do that and have had more interaction than just the string theory (Kurisu's) lecture. However, she acted like she didn't know much about him in the "Phone taking", so that might not be the case.

Or did the Phone Taking scene actually happen before the string theory lecture itself? Kurisu did mention that they met and Okarin was about to say something to her (which was what happened in the Cheek Touching scene). In that case, the timeline would look like this:

Cheek Touching -> Phone Taking -> String Theory Lecture -> Lab Appearance -> Kurisu's Death

If that is the case, this is a lot more confusing than I thought, since the switching in the timelines do not have any obvious breaks. I really thought that the Cheek Touching directly connects to the String Theory Lecture with nothing in between. But then again, it was Kurisu who dragged him out of the old guy's lecture, so if the Dragging out and the Phone Taking are parts of a single event, this theory is incorrect.

Things that are probably relevant:
Okarin himself (from another time) was the one who shouted when he heard a scream in the stairway. It was definitely his voice.
The person wearing a cap (IIRC) in the rooftop.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 04-20-2011, 04:09 PM
HorribleSubs - Episode 03 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=207609)

David75
Thu, 04-21-2011, 01:09 AM
That ep was watchable.
Sern beign the center of all evil is a far stretch, but we're in a paranoïd's head after all.

David75
Wed, 05-18-2011, 03:05 PM
So, am I the last one watching this?

I like it so far, it's not over the top, but there a little bit of mistery. Also, Shining Finger reminds me of captain harlock girls, gives a nice touch of nostalgia (yes, I'm that old...)

Parttimer is most of the mistery, at least for now.

Kraco
Wed, 05-18-2011, 03:22 PM
Nah, I'm watching this from Steins;Sub and in fact I'm actually liking this a lot. One of the better shows of the season.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 05-18-2011, 04:19 PM
I guess I did recently change my sig, but for the longest time I have been trying to advertise this show by using Christinaaaaa in my sig image.

I am watching this in CrunchyRoll.

The most recent development is awesome. So Okabe is going to be a/the messiah? I wonder how this plot line will play out.

Christinaaaaa can be so cute. It's just strange how she hangs around a psycho like Okabe. In fact, it is strange that so many girls hang around a psycho like Okabe. I wonder if there is anything to that.

Why is Shining Finger so obsessed with the IBN? Is she part of SERN? I'm getting really bad vibes from her.

Is Part Timer from the future? The scene where she tried to check Okabe's eyes for a chip is indicative of something like that, and also her relationship with Christinaaaa.

This show is going to be 24 episodes, so it is only natural that the pace is going to be slow, particularly since it is a plot driven mystery. I hope people give this a chance. It also has tons of anime/eroge/etc. references for the geeks who enjoy that (like me).

Buffalobiian
Wed, 05-18-2011, 07:53 PM
The feedback seems to be pretty positive, so I'll play catchup soon.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 05-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Have you caught up yet? Things are getting really interesting.

Latest episode content:

So it has been confirmed that Okabe has the ability to retain his memory even in different world lines. It is a strange ability, since it doesn't add to the new Okabe in the new timeline, but overwrites him. Doesn't this mean that he "kills" an Okabe each time he jumps lines? The Okabe that everyone else in that world knows is completely gone, after all.

I wonder if each time they change the past, a new parallel universe is created. If that is not the case, Okabe has destroyed and created several universes already for the sake of his experiments.

I think Part-Timer is John Titor. Her reaction when Okabe said that he distrusted Titor's story seemed personal, as if she herself was being doubted. Add to that all her actions that point to her being a time traveler and it makes for a solid possibility.

I'm pretty sure the trap is still a trap. If he had turned into a girl, Okabe would have made her a sex slave of some sort already. Okabe is already very much attracted to him. The only reason he hasn't given in yet is because he is male. I loved The Zombie's reaction to the revelation of the trap. I would need to support myself on a wall as well if that happened to me. I mean, he was cute enough to make Cel-7 stare. Really dangerous.

David75
Sat, 05-28-2011, 09:56 AM
Rurako is a very well presented/written/portrayed/animated and voiced side character. it's clear to me that changing his gender to female would render him tasteless, useless, not interesting... at least in his current role.

Gender indications in anime are hard to read. Nose line?, shoulder line? finger size ratios? At least Kyouma seems to be sure Rurako is still male only by watching his breast.

Prior to that ep, we never heard about his mother. Telling her to eat vegies could improve her health for example, and have impact on her life after that, changing something like great health problem or the day she dies. For some reason, I believed that his mother was dead, so the message could have changed that... it's just that I do not think we had any info on that person.

Kraco
Sat, 05-28-2011, 12:04 PM
So it has been confirmed that Okabe has the ability to retain his memory even in different world lines. It is a strange ability, since it doesn't add to the new Okabe in the new timeline, but overwrites him. Doesn't this mean that he "kills" an Okabe each time he jumps lines? The Okabe that everyone else in that world knows is completely gone, after all.

I wonder if each time they change the past, a new parallel universe is created. If that is not the case, Okabe has destroyed and created several universes already for the sake of his experiments.

I'm under the impression a new one is created, so he doesn't actually replace ("kill") any existing Okabes, because the newly created parallel timeline is created with his Reading Steiner included, so he was in from the beginning of the branching.

It'll be interesting to see what exactly changed this time. Assuming they ever find out.

I think Part-Timer is John Titor.

They have certainly suggested she's a time traveller (or just crazy), but I wouldn't yet say she's Titor. In my opinion it'd be more relevant to know why she hates Assistant. Is it because Christinaaaaa possibly defects to CERN?

This show really has interesting characters. The story wouldn't work half as well if Okabe wasn't a Mad Scientist.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 05-28-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm under the impression a new one is created, so he doesn't actually replace ("kill") any existing Okabes, because the newly created parallel timeline is created with his Reading Steiner included, so he was in from the beginning of the branching.

I understand your point, but it does not change the fact that the Okabe with the memories that coincide with everyone else in the new timeline is gone. Imagine if he and Celeb 17 were already lovers in the new universe, and all of a sudden he forgets all that due to the overwrite. The Okabe that Girl Genius knows and loves is already gone. I am talking more about the result rather than the nature of the overwrite when I refer to it as "killing."

Kraco
Sat, 05-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Right, I get your point now. Although so far it remains to be seen if such a case would or could ever happen, to really turn relevant. The few times we have now seen the shifts haven't really presented overly much new to Okabe personally, so nobody expected anything from him out of his Reading Steiner's field of vision. Maybe if something more personal, and further back in time, were to happen, he would face more serious consequences than the momentary feeling of weirdness and loss of sense of time. He might see some sort of flashes of the past that would help him synchronize.

RyougaZell
Thu, 06-09-2011, 07:59 PM
So I've decided to give this show another chance seeing episodes in group, to see if I can get caught this time. Can someone suggest a group to see this? For the record, SteinsSub is dead and I hate HorribleSubs.

Kraco
Sat, 06-11-2011, 12:48 PM
I switched to HorribleSubs after SteinsSub died. No choice, really. The only theoretic alternative would have been Commie, but better dead than red, so it's no real choice.

Episode 09 - HorribleSubs (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=217981)
Episode 10 - HorribleSubs (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=219591)

We are getting some bigger changes as episodes go by. What happened to Akiba was pretty funny. Unless Hououin decides to change things back, but I somehow doubt that. Although you never know since he's a mad scientist. I guess Feyris will feature less from now on. Not that she would have been such a big character to begin with. Hard to say about part-time soldier. The hints she's from the future are huge but she might be just another wacko. Trying to change her fate by sending mails to the past if she's from the future is an ironic concept escaping Okabe for now. Back when she told Okabe she tries to find her dad at a certain place I thought she would be Okabe's own daughter.

Christina and Hououin growing a closer relationship is good development.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 06-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Rukako became a... girl???

And it seems she still has the same relationship with Okarin. Okarin has a pretty good harem now, with part time soldier and a female Rukako.

I thought part time soldier was John Titor, but it was her father. I really like how they feed the viewer information in just the right doses, keeping interest and mystery at the same time.

I think Feyris will still have more development. After all, we are not really sure why she changed Akiba.

Do they really believe Okarin when he talks about other world lines? It seems they forgave his harassment of Rukako because he explained the situation, but don't they feel violated, being changed (or replaced) each time they do an experiment? I know I would be terrified of the thought.

Kraco
Sat, 06-11-2011, 03:28 PM
but don't they feel violated, being changed (or replaced) each time they do an experiment? I know I would be terrified of the thought.

That's a difficult question. Basically they are whole people with perfect history even after things change, so in that sense they don't actually lose anything. Or in other words, they are none the wiser. In the end it's extremely hard to judge whether Okarin is luckier or unluckier. He will basically know if he lost something in the process. Although naturally without him there would be no consistent experiments. Still, in any case, they wouldn't be members of the lab if they didn't accept the experiments. In addition to that, they do have a reason to believe things will change for the better for them, even if they have no idea/recollection whether it happens or not. Like Rukako becoming a real girl. Isn't that her biggest dream come true? Of course for Christina just joining the lab with a working time machine was the greatest victory, and that the lab seems to be a relaxed and fun place (where she's the wisest scientist) isn't making things worse.

So, in short, I'd be willingly in, myself, even if I remembered nothing. Just being a mad scientist would be cool in itself.

David75
Sat, 06-11-2011, 03:37 PM
I was almost upset Rurako is a girl now.
Even if it was meant to be, in order to have that dirty scene, it's a bit of a letdown and that character probably lost any potential for the future.

John Titor=Okabe is pretty sure.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 06-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Incest with part time soldier? I'm in.

Seriously though, I hope that is not the case. That is the most obvious possible twist.

RyougaZell
Sun, 06-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Since I still hate HorribleSubs I went with Commie...

I'm up to episode 9 and I'm happy I decided to give the series another chance. While the 1st episode failed to hook me up... the story picked up quite a lot afterwards.

I can't beleive Okabe hasn't realized his 1st message (later dubbed as D-Mail) is what probably saved Kurisu's life.

Rukako is the best trap ever (and if Archies tells you otherwise he's wrong). And... Rukako became a girl? Either way... Rukako wins.

At first I thought Moeka stole the IBN... but she didn't? I smell something fishy going on... and wow... what a powerful ending for episode 9... erasing the Otaku haven...

Will watch ep 10 when commie comes out so I probably comment late... if I do end up commenting... I want to avoid spoilers since you guys will be an episode ahead... as it stands I already spoiled myself a bit about episode 10.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 06-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Sorry bout that. I will leave space before the comments if you'd like.

Horrible subs ain't so bad, except for the hilarious (intentional?) mistranslation (http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g310/shinta617/fail.jpg) they did for the episode with the 2-channeler nickname inclusion.

RyougaZell
Sun, 06-12-2011, 11:16 PM
Don't worry about it. It was mostly me reading without noticing the link for episode 10 was already posted.

My main issue with HorribleSubs was mis-timing (I heard they already fixed this recently, but I still avoid them like the plague). Nowadays is just because I prefer to leave them as a very last choice... like GG.

BTW... Now I finally understand all the names on your signature.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 06-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Haha that's great. I just hope people get curious enough to actually start watching this show. It is way too underrated, and I'm sure it will just get better as the story develops.

David75
Mon, 06-13-2011, 12:53 AM
That show is interresting because of its wits.
There isn't much CG, background, or anything artsy about it.
The main arc is pretty bland/standard usual for the genre.

But

Characters are very nicely constructed. There are countless inside jokes, most of which I can't catch.
Character interactions seem to be nice also, not just Okabe with others, but others also seem to truly interact with each other.

It is a very nice show for the season.

Kraco
Tue, 06-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Episode 11 - HorribleSubs (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=221151)

- - - - - -

Pretty interesting development, even if no d-mails were sent. Nor leaps yet. If they do succeed in the memory transfers, it will open novel directions for the show. Although in a certain sense the more chaotic outcomes of the short text messages might remain more interesting, but maybe they aren't enough for grander plots.

Nevertheless, Christina got nice development of her own, the stalker incident worsened and there was plenty of tutturuu. A wholesome episode all in all.

RyougaZell
Tue, 06-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Holy shit at the mind crashing emails Okabe is getting... so freaking he didn't get to enjoy Kurisu and Mayuri in the bath.

David75
Tue, 06-14-2011, 11:43 PM
Now that we know it's possible to transfer memories, it's very likely the reading steiner is a memory transfer.
And the reading steiner is synchronized with d-mail because someone knows the precise chronology of each d-mail sent.

Kraco
Wed, 06-15-2011, 01:27 AM
Now that we know it's possible to transfer memories, it's very likely the reading steiner is a memory transfer.
And the reading steiner is synchronized with d-mail because someone knows the precise chronology of each d-mail sent.

Ah, yes. That would indeed make sense. Although we have been through multiple timelines already with multiple branchings due to the d-mails, so for the memory transfers to have happened afterwards is troublesome in itself. Just like the old crt being a part of the system by chance, it might be Hououin's memories are transferred by chance as well. A more logical explanation would naturally be much nicer, naturally.

David75
Wed, 06-15-2011, 03:42 AM
My guess is someone sent their memories back in time prior to the furthest d-mail sent by Okabe. The oldest d-mail would be Rurako's or the cosplay girl, so less than 20 years.
That means said person didn't have their RS affected and can still act in any new timeline, adjusting to new events.

David75
Tue, 06-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Steins Gate 12 720P Horriblesubs (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=222713)

Incredible ep.

Enough said.

Kraco
Tue, 06-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Quite a baffling episode. I'm far from sure what to think of either the beginning or the end. But then again, the very first episode already presented murdered Christina, so it's more likely the goofier eps in the middle that lulled me into not expecting more grisly development.

Too many lines yet remain unconnected to make out the bigger picture, in any case.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 06-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Awesome.

Great episode through and through. Left so many possibilities open, but did not leave enough information for us to figure out a definite answer.

I am baffled at how well written this was. The death flag line by Daru was already amazingly executed as a gag, but to think that it ties in to an actual death so soon. Masterful.

David75
Tue, 06-21-2011, 11:52 PM
The begining might suggest that Okabe used the steins gate to change the future were someone he cares dies.
And in the many possibilities, everytime someone else dies.
I'm pretty sure he traded Kurisu for Mayushi.

Now I can be wrong and it's in fact Mayushi who was searching for Okabe as she said. And maybe the tradeoff is that Kurisu or herself has to be dead in all the timelines were Okabe is still living.
Thing is, Okabe probably dies young when he gets sicks in most timelines...

What I find amusing is that his conspiracy roleplay turns into something real. That is if it wasn't all but a nightmare.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 06-22-2011, 03:40 PM
This will get reset anyway. They can't kill off such a prominent character so early.

David75
Wed, 06-22-2011, 03:44 PM
You had me check and we will get 24 eps says ANN. Nice!

shinta|hikari
Wed, 06-22-2011, 04:23 PM
If it ended in 13 episodes, this would have been a terrible anime, all build up with no proper resolution.

So, only 4 people are watching this?

David75
Wed, 06-22-2011, 11:34 PM
If it ended in 13 episodes, this would have been a terrible anime, all build up with no proper resolution.

So, only 4 people are watching this?

Well, I just checked because it sometimes happen you have a split show. Or everything unfolds in only one ep.

Regarding the ep:
About the death flag line by Daru, I hope he isn't part of the conspiracy.

after all, with the Steins Gate, you can turn anyone from the lab into a spy/ennemy provided you can manipulate them in the future.

Inazuma
Fri, 06-24-2011, 04:43 PM
That single shot tore through my stomach, I attached myself to that character without even noticing it.

RyougaZell
Mon, 06-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Shit... I already disliked Moeka... now I want the bitch dead...

David75
Tue, 06-28-2011, 02:26 PM
For those who can't wait for better alternatives:

[HorribleSubs] Steins;Gate - 13 [720p]​.mkv (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=224321)

Episode elements after that sentence...

So, I guess we're in an usual loop where the MC tries to save someone dear to them until they understand it's impossible.
It's just that last episode intro would imply that in some timelines Mayushi survives 8pm that day and searches for Okabe who is losing himself trying to save her.

Second part of the intro to the episode was nice. Other than that, the ep was so much of what we know of such stories that I wasn't able to enjoy it.

RyougaZell
Tue, 06-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Oh holy fuck.... Mayuri! T__T

shinta|hikari
Tue, 06-28-2011, 10:34 PM
I loved the scene where the Zombie got shot while in tears. She seems to have taken a liking to Okabe, almost unwilling to risk his life even if it is to save her own and Tutururuun's.

David75
Tue, 07-05-2011, 03:10 PM
HorribleSubs] Steins;Gate - 14v2 [720p]​.mkv (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=225903)

Beware

I liked the lightness of that show prior to last episodes. I'm adjusting to the new setting, although one could argue that the major world line change happened to prevent Kurisu from dying... so we already were in the same type of setting.

When JT did her explanations, I was totally feeling the Visual Novel behind it. The feeling was somewhat awesome for some reason.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 07-06-2011, 02:35 AM
So she really was Titor. I got it the first time, but I am impressed the show made me lose confidence with that father arc for part time soldier.

lelouch
Sun, 07-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Is there a reason this show is called Stein's Gate? Titor chick is totally bad ass btw.

lelouch
Wed, 08-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Is nobody watching this?? It's really good!

[img src="http://i.qkme.me/2v47.jpg"]

shinta|hikari
Wed, 08-03-2011, 07:05 PM
I am. Right now there isn't really much to say. Maybe we can posit the obvious question of whether erasing the D-mails are enough to shift the divergence number to 1%. If it doesn't, a lot has been and will be sacrificed for naught.

They are also spending a lot of time trying to save Mayuri. I wonder if all this is linked to saving Kurisu as well. It is after all her death that started all of this. That, or it is her death that ends everything, which is what I fear.

David75
Thu, 08-04-2011, 12:46 AM
I am. Right now there isn't really much to say. Maybe we can posit the obvious question of whether erasing the D-mails are enough to shift the divergence number to 1%. If it doesn't, a lot has been and will be sacrificed for naught.

They are also spending a lot of time trying to save Mayuri. I wonder if all this is linked to saving Kurisu as well. It is after all her death that started all of this. That, or it is her death that ends everything, which is what I fear.

It is indeed very possible that the first divergence occured when someone decided to save Kurisu.
I said someone just to open the possibility to someone other than Okabe.

That Rukako ep was full of win in a way

RyougaZell
Thu, 08-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Someone else saved Kurisu? Not likely. That timeline was changed when Okabe sent the first D-Mail by pure mistake. He doesn't know it yet... but in the end, at this rate, he'll have the choice of having either Kurisu or Mayuri.

Right now I'm interested in knowing how he'll get the Moeka bit** to re-send her D-Mail.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-15-2011, 09:19 AM
HorribleSubs - Episodes 15 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=227849), 16 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=229569), 17 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=231441), 18 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=233456), 19 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=235421)

Have you caught up yet? Things are getting really interesting.

Just caught up. What can I say.. AwesomeSauce?

Things started picking up real quick after Episode 3, so pacing and confusion wasn't a problem. The biggest issue (if it can be called an issue) was getting used to Christina's character. It's just been so long (if I even remember the last time) since there was a "soft" tsundere whose "tsun" wasn't ball-bitingly fierce.

The whole Mayuri's fate (especially that scene in a deserted world) and Kurisu's initial stabbing remains to be answered though while we get lost in the "means" to solve it by retracing our steps (funny that going BACK to the original timeline increases the divergence number, which supports the previously discussed ideas that Kurisu dying was actually a solution to saving Mayuri). I haven't been keeping up with those numbers until they introduced the retro-counter though, so I can't confirm (nor do I really want to - I'll just let it play out).

HorribleSub's video quality was pretty :S overall. I experienced a lot of banding in all the dark scenes with very little contrast, and in the later episodes I've got this weird smear towards the bottom of the screen.

FB... who on earth is that? I laughed at the name though, since so many people are addicted to FaceBook these days. Didn't expect Okabe to punch her in the face, but what else could he have done against Psycho-bitch Moeka. What confuses me is that she didn't want the neighbour to think anything was wrong in her room.. It would have been much easier to get support, though whether she would have spoken or not's another question.

Anyways, what day of the week does each episode come out?

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-15-2011, 09:42 AM
Okabe wasn't forced to punch her. He hit her out of the frustration and desperation she has caused him in the other world lines.

FB made me laugh too.

Wednesday 2am in Japan.

Kurisu is awesome. How can someone be open minded enough to believe the ramblings of a self proclaimed mad scientist in so many world lines and time periods? She dulled occam's razor to absolute bluntness.

Xelbair
Tue, 08-16-2011, 06:00 AM
I picked up this series after dropping it. It was a good choice - first two episodes were really weak, but after that it started to be great.

It seems that repeated time leaps have put strain on Okabe's mind. He isn't caring that much about relationships with people(instead of trying to save Mayuri, he would observe her death just to get the accurate time of death), and is getting more determined about the whole case. Punching Moeka is another case of this, heck his every action considering her was kinda forceful.

We also have to remember that Moeka has no idea if FB is connected to CERN... i mean SERN.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Regarding the idea suggested previously in the thread that Okane's Stein Reader is someone leaping his memory after each D-mail, I don't think that quite works. For one, the mind is entirely consistent.. which would mean that someone would have had to have a copy of Okabe's state of mind right before the D-mail was sent every time. That just doesn't sound right at the moment.

I guess one other mystery that has been overlayed and somewhat forgotten amongst all the things happening is why the hell does time stop when Mayuri's about to die? That just makes no sense, and brings back the earlier wasted-planet scene that suggests Mayuri is somehow related to the space-time continuum itself or something..

Xelbair
Tue, 08-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Or FB works for CERN/SERN and they have more advanced means of controlling time.
Couldn't they isolate/block the timeflow in that area?

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-16-2011, 07:42 PM
Or FB works for CERN/SERN and they have more advanced means of controlling time.
Couldn't they isolate/block the timeflow in that area?

They can do that while the Phone Microwave Time Machine rivals their own technology? I think that's a bit of a stretch. And then it doesn't explain why the lab members would somehow be immune to this "time freeze". It must certainly be handier to freeze them along with their surroundings in order to capture them.

I think the time freeze happens too when Mayushi dies from non-SERN events.

bump edit: HorribleSubs - Episode 20 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=237494)

RyougaZell
Wed, 08-17-2011, 12:23 AM
He FINALLY notices!

Mr Braun o_O

Buffalobiian
Wed, 08-24-2011, 07:38 AM
HorribleSubs - Episode 21 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=239519)

David75
Wed, 08-24-2011, 07:51 AM
Well, pretty much an empty episode since almost all of it was composed of already exposed ideas/truths.
We only got Mayuri's worries and Kurisu learning about her possible death should they go back to the original time path.

I choose timepath, there are many timelines in path alpha and path beta.
Also, they mainly focus on path alpha and path beta. I guess that's because the divergence number is very near and it's easier to switch from one to the other thanks to that. After all, the very first D-mail was enough.

In the end, I guess we'll get a path gamma or even delta that will give a sufficently good ending or open end even if the divergence number is a lot more difficult to attain.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 08-24-2011, 10:36 AM
I was wondering how close Kurisu was to death in that last scene. It's the exact spot where she was murdered. And we've still yet to figure out who or why it was done. (John Titor?)

Also, this "cracking" was to remove their info from SERN's database, right? If that's all it is, then it's an action performed within their timeline.. they're not performing any "D-mails" to change time.. so would that really shift them?

Gah!, as you said, empty episode is making me wait for another week.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 08-24-2011, 11:39 AM
They don't have to perform D-mails. They just have to undo the previous D-mails' effects. It just so happens that cracking SERN achieves that, or so they think.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 08-24-2011, 12:24 PM
They don't have to perform D-mails. They just have to undo the previous D-mails' effects. It just so happens that cracking SERN achieves that, or so they think.

That's true, but they can't undo that effect without changing the past. And the only real way they can do that now is to use another D-mail.

Cracking into SERN to delete the records of *whatever it was that I forgot, lol - their data?) doesn't mean none of that ever happened. Anybody who's been reading that up until now and has acted on it up until now will just notice everything's gone. Using that rationality, I just can't see any way of changing world lines other than doing something to the past - ie, send a D-mail.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 08-24-2011, 08:05 PM
You can change the future by changing the present, not just the past. They are probably hoping that their data has not been given particular attention at this point because they have yet to complete the Time Leap machine, and that by deleting their data right now, they can be ignored completely.

I do agree with you that is naive and it probably won't work, but that does not negate the fact that doing something in the present can affect the future, because Okabe's present is the past after all. Heck, even doing something at any time line has effects to the entire world line.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 08-31-2011, 07:25 AM
HorribleSubs - Episode 22 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=241609)

--------------------------------

KURISU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :'(

Thank god this series is 24 episodes long. I would have cried if they let it end like that, as closed-ended as it may have been. I have no idea what the hell happened during that "interference" during the ED. Someone modified the timeline that Okabe was in and pushed it into a "Gamma" world line?

I sure hope the BDs have better picture quality since all the dark scenes look kinda meh with all the banding - even if the contents was great.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 09-06-2011, 07:56 PM
HorribleSubs - Episode 23 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=243502)

shinta|hikari
Wed, 09-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Awesome episode. I thought Okabe looked cool for the 1st time since the show started.

Deceive the world.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Awesome episode. I thought Okabe looked cool for the 1st time since the show started.

Deceive the world.

Which one, the one in the phone, or the newly invigorated one right when the episode ended?

Interesting twist where all the established rules in the alpha timeline changes (time machine travel directions and all). I can't quite remember the start though.. Okabe sent the D-mail about Kurisu dying to.. Daru, right? What did Daru then do that changed their fate and shifted timelines?

Part Time Soldier's even cooler decked out in soldier gear. Especially the hairdo - and I love long/down hair. Though twin braids also has a tendency to rub me the wrong way, so who knows...

And how did they control the video file such that it only shows after Okabe's failed once? I don't think they'll ever explain that one.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 09-07-2011, 11:21 AM
It wouldn't play because that future was not certain until Okabe experienced "killing" Kurisu once. I know it is not consistent with how part time soldier is already there in the present, but that is the most logical explanation. That inconsistency might be caused by the paradoxical implications of directly communicating with yourself in another timeline, as hinted by part time soldier's warning this episode.

I like the older Okabe better. Like Tutururun~ said, "shibui."

David75
Wed, 09-07-2011, 01:27 PM
I admit I still have difficulties adjusting to the deeper directions that show is following as opposed to the lighter/funnier ones in the early eps. Some of the jokes were really refreshing. Still, I think even what we have now is fairly well written and enjoyable.

In a way, I'm happy to have the chance to have had a show that I enjoyed for a good slice of life/light humor part, and another part I enjoy for a deeper and neatly knitted plot.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 09-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Deceiving the world

HorribleSubs - Episode 24 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=245231)

Idealistic
Tue, 09-13-2011, 08:39 PM
A lot simpler than I thought it'd be as well. But nontheless......... Epic is all i have to say.

RyougaZell
Tue, 09-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Awesome :)

Marik
Tue, 09-13-2011, 09:31 PM
Steins;Gate Science-Fiction Game/Anime Franchise Gets Film (Updated With Teaser) (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-09-13/steins-gate-gets-film-green-lit)

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-14-2011, 09:10 AM
A lot simpler than I thought it'd be as well. But nontheless......... Epic is all i have to say.

I was like 80% sure Okarin was going to use his own blood for the fake death since the last episode, and I regret that the thought came to me. The whole playout probably would have had more emotional effect had it smacked me in the face this episode instead.

Part Time Soldier could have stayed with them a bit longer, since it'll be seven whole years later that she'd be born and create a possible time paradox - but then the longer you stay the harder it'll be to part.

Okarin and Kurisu's ending does leave me a bit unsatisfied though. The obvious is that we don't get to see them together romantically (or semi-romantically, if that's too far), but it's also the fact that she said "thanks for saving me" when she should actually have no idea what Okarin saved her against. Her father was beating her, but until Okarin appeared, he didn't draw his knife or display any intention to kill. Even when it was drawn, it was pointed solely at him.

Wasn't as climatic as what I was hoping this finale would be, but it finished the story in any case (and it was awesome from start to finish). {insert edit: the ending didn't have a triumphant finish that another certain time-leaping/resetting anime had - possibly due to the lack of a clear antagonist who kept fucking shit up for the main char. It lacked the feeling of being rewarded for his efforts, even though I'm sure Okarin feels 100% satisfied that Kurisu's alive} At that, I'm not too excited about the movie since I really don't care for compilation films, but I'm sure I will be in a year's time. Especially since Marik's link leads to some comments about things being different, or something being a sequel, or something about a true end. The poster was kind enough to black-out the details so I got the tease without the spoiler.

David75
Wed, 09-14-2011, 09:32 AM
For Kurisu thanking Okarin when she should not know what she was saved from,
remember that everyone around Okarin know somewhere in their heart what happened the numerous times Okaring leapt.

Wasn't it last episode, or some episodes ago that Kurisu told Okarin she had dreams with a bad ending?

Searching for him and thanking him was because she knew that if Okarin didn't help that time, her bad dream would have happened since the setting was just so perfectly identical to the point when Okarin arrived at the scene.

I agree to the fact that the ending was not as flashy as it should have been.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-14-2011, 11:10 AM
For Kurisu thanking Okarin when she should not know what she was saved from,
remember that everyone around Okarin know somewhere in their heart what happened the numerous times Okaring leapt.

That happened during the last time they were in the Alpha world-line I think. I'm always thinking that everything changed and got reset when they went over to Beta, but I think you're right in that it's the accumulation that matters, regardless of where they are right now. Hmm....

The other thing I just remembered that was introduced but still hasn't been 100% explained was that scene with Okarin and Mayushi in the dusty desert world talking about them being the "real Mayushi and Okarin" amongst all the different timelines. The parts about Mayushi looking up at the light as if wanting to leave this world. They mentioned that the Alpha world-line's convergence destined Mayushi to die every time... but I was expecting something a bit fuller. Then in our quest to save her it was all kinda covered up and forgotten.

Xelbair
Wed, 09-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Did you notice that Kurisu automatically said that he shouldn't call her Christina and she is not his assistant, when he never ever called her his assistant in this timeline?

shinta|hikari
Wed, 09-14-2011, 07:51 PM
That's right. However, like Buff, I wanted a minute of actual epilogue where we see them together, and who the heck Dar's wife is.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Did you notice that Kurisu automatically said that he shouldn't call her Christina and she is not his assistant, when he never ever called her his assistant in this timeline?

I did.

They've established that even normal people without Reading Steiner can start having their past selves/memories creeping up on them. Okarin's been calling Kurisu "Christina" for the past 3 weeks non-stop, but he's only saved tried to save her twice, once unsuccessfully.

Then again, you can include the memory of Kurisu from Beta before the very first D-mail, and perhaps the last (two?) time they were in Alpha where Kurisu learns that she dies in Beta.

I think your argument holds more weight though, even if I don't feel 100% convinced.

Idealistic
Wed, 09-14-2011, 08:53 PM
That's right. However, like Buff, I wanted a minute of actual epilogue where we see them together, and who the heck Dar's wife is.

Yeah I kind of did wish for that too. Maybe that's what the ova will be for.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-14-2011, 09:35 PM
After a bit of thought, I feel pretty good about it now actually. Feel much better :D

David75
Thu, 09-15-2011, 12:06 AM
Daru's wife is Mayushi, or Braun's daughter.
Deep inside I feel like Moeka is the best option, but for some reason it doesn't work in my mind since she's been killed in one of the alpha lines, not allowing for Suzuha to come to the world.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 09-15-2011, 12:18 AM
What about Feyris? She is his target, after all.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 09-15-2011, 01:34 AM
Mayushi, Moeka, Feyris ->those came to my mind in that order, but I could never convince myself 100% that it was any one of them because of the possibilities. Mr Braun's daughter?! Will she make it in 7 years? (6 years, 2 months or so for a closer approximation).Relationship-wise no one beats Mayushi, since they're all friends and she doesn't have a crush on Okarin (and/or ignores Daru by doing so). Physically, Feyris shares the same front fringe as Suzuha. The only other person to share that is Kurisu (and she in Beta). It could be just a design thing though.or a haircut.....

shinta|hikari
Thu, 09-15-2011, 03:07 AM
What if Suzuha did not really disappear, and she was her own mother?

That would explain why she wants to keep it a secret.

David75
Thu, 09-15-2011, 04:38 AM
I vote Moeka, in spite of the paradox we had when she was killed by Braun. I'd have to check though on that point.

Why?

Because Moeka is the only one having combat habilities up to par with Suzuha's in some lines. The scene where they are at each throat point blank is my basis.
I could still be wrong though.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 09-15-2011, 08:46 AM
I vote Moeka, in spite of the paradox we had when she was killed by Braun. I'd have to check though on that point.

Why?

Because Moeka is the only one having combat habilities up to par with Suzuha's in some lines. The scene where they are at each throat point blank is my basis.
I could still be wrong though.

I thought it was Moeka at one point because she also had brown hair. (browser stopped me from making that edit when I posted previously).

What if Suzuha did not really disappear, and she was her own mother?

That would explain why she wants to keep it a secret.

That's pretty screwed up, lol. Genetically speaking that can't really happen, and didn't she say that there would be a time paradox should the two of them meet?

shinta|hikari
Thu, 09-15-2011, 10:12 AM
I was joking.

RyougaZell
Fri, 09-16-2011, 03:18 PM
The spoilerish visitors at RandomC posted a picture of Daru's wife the other day ;)

Buffalobiian
Fri, 09-16-2011, 09:18 PM
I was jokingoh.. lol
picture of Daru's wifeI saw a post on ANN that said Daru's wife is revealed in the game too, but they were kind enough to black out the spoiling bits. Since I have no idea what the movie is about I'll wait a bit longer, but your expression screams Feyris to me.

Xelbair
Sun, 09-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Look at the eyes, she has Mayushii's eyes, with Daru's color if i remember it right.

Kraco
Mon, 09-19-2011, 04:06 PM
but it's also the fact that she said "thanks for saving me" when she should actually have no idea what Okarin saved her against. Her father was beating her, but until Okarin appeared, he didn't draw his knife or display any intention to kill. Even when it was drawn, it was pointed solely at him.

Her father had her pinned down on the floor and was throttling her when Okarin interfered. While it's an open question whether that means anything, the truth is that Christina knows her old man the best. She was clearly living in denial before this event, wishing to believe he would happily cooperate with her and share the credit. It's likely seeing him crazily stab somebody right before her eyes opened those very eyes for good. So, even without any memories of other timelines, she could have thanked Hououin. However, the last scene strongly suggests she has some vague feelings, like has been said.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 09-19-2011, 07:29 PM
You don't stay in a foreign country and wander around to just thank someone because it probably won't succeed anyway. You have to have really strong feelings towards that person, even if you can't remember why. This bears more weight with Christina because she is rational by nature.

Kraco
Tue, 09-20-2011, 01:46 AM
Yes, I don't disagree, but as rational and scientific as she is, she's also a romantic. A true 100% adherence to rationality and logic would prevent her from studying time machines and also would have prevented her from staying with the wacko group for so long in the other timelines. Not to mention she did have those dubious hobbies/interests she tried to hide from the others. In other words, if she was a robotic slave to rationality, no matter what kind of unexplained feelings had tried to keep her in Japan, she would have instead boarded the plane to the USA.

Alhuin
Thu, 09-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Finally got time to marathon this in two days. Definitely one of the best series I've seen lately. I'm a big fan of time-travel/parallel words, so the story behind Steins;Gate intrigued me from the very beginning. The opening episode though hooked me even more, given the "WTF" element. Throughout the rest of the series, I kept wondering what the significance of Kurisu dying was, only to have it wrapped up quite nicely in the end.

The one thing I am confused about though is when Okabe was able to ascertain that the timepath Kurisu dies in was the Alpha timepath. Sure, it was the original one that started it all, but couldn't it have been just another Beta timepath. I was under the impression that the Alpha timepath (or, going past the 1% divergence meter) was something along the lines of impossible to do, even given the impossibility of the series itself. They kept explaining it like he needed to keep going and push his way there, but in the end he had already been there and he had to make his way back. Maybe I'm just not understanding it clearly.

Can't wait for the movie. Here's to hoping it's a continuation instead of a retelling.

David75
Thu, 09-22-2011, 12:56 PM
First ep, alpha line.
Okabe sends first D-mail
Then Beta line.
Last episodes, Okabe tries to open steins gate, to be in another line where he doesn't have to choose between Mayu or Kurisu

That's how I get it.

MFauli
Sat, 10-08-2011, 04:58 AM
Ugh, I just read that this is from the maker of Chaos: Head? Well, I liked that show (except for the disappointing development towards its end). The feedback to the first two episodes doesnt sound that exciting, but I guess Iīll see by myself.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-08-2011, 08:02 AM
Ugh, I just read that this is from the maker of Chaos: Head? Well, I liked that show (except for the disappointing development towards its end). The feedback to the first two episodes doesnt sound that exciting, but I guess Iīll see by myself.

It's a LOT better than Chaos;Head. I can't stress that enough.

Kraco
Sat, 10-08-2011, 11:25 AM
I dropped Chaos;Head halfway through but enjoyed this show from the beginning till the end.

Alhuin
Sat, 10-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Chaos;Head probably would have been better if it was spread across 24-26 episodes.
I liked it well enough though. Been too long, so I can't remember if I was content with the ending or not.

Steins;Gate wraps up almost perfectly in my opinion. I'm not quite sure why the feedback on the first two episodes doesn't sound exciting to you, since there is a major "wtf" moment in the first episode alone. But I guess it depends on the viewer. If you liked Chaos;Head though, you'll like Steins;Gate.

MFauli
Sat, 10-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Nah, the problem with Chaos:head was that it started out as this interesting, psychological otaku-drama, but then turned into a full-fledged Sailor Moon-like fantasy-plot. Aka, I liked it better when it was uncertain if the main characters delusions were real or not.

Anyway, still have to watch SG episode 1.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 02-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Episode 25 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=289832)

Awesome epilogue.

Kraco
Fri, 02-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Yeah, it was a good extra episode. Okarin was as crazy as ever, Christina as tsundere as ever.

Daru's wife was an out of the blue revelation, though...

shinta|hikari
Fri, 02-24-2012, 06:25 PM
It's a great twist. Everyone kept guessing wrong and rationalizing relationships among introduced characters when the obvious answer based on the daughter's looks is this one.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-25-2012, 12:42 AM
It's a great twist.

Now Daku will either meet her in a Rainet event by himself or through Okabe when they start the "you chased me across the desert one time" convo. Time paradox!

This ova provided a more satisfying closure for Okabe/Kurisu, but in my eagerness for it I didn't tune in to the comedic first half as much.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 02-25-2012, 08:18 AM
It wasn't unexpected, but I liked how they ended the episode with the sudden cut after the assistant's 'Close your eyes' command.

Animeniac77
Sun, 02-26-2012, 02:47 AM
It wasn't unexpected, but I liked how they ended the episode with the sudden cut after the assistant's 'Close your eyes' command.

Cliffhangerish, most "logical" reasoning would imply it was the kiss Okabe so longed for, or in my comedic mind..a slap o.o was never truly revealed what she did, so to each their own i guess, on that note...anyone think it's good as it is? or think a Sequal might be possible? (they could come up with a "problem" 7 years in the future or something if ya ask me, such as Okabe fucking up the future by meeting that woman in the desert endangering the daughter's "existence" and must somehow be "corrected" or something along certain lines ._.)

shinta|hikari
Sun, 02-26-2012, 08:35 AM
Time travel stories really cannot 'end' with finality because of the nature of the theme. I am already satisfied with this ending, but I am the type that loves characters over plot so my answer will always be I want shows that I like continued. The only exception to this would be Chrno Crusade.

Archangel
Thu, 05-17-2012, 03:54 PM
That was pretty good, the way progress was constantly being canceled out via d-mail was getting very personally annoying but having those unclear dreams really saved the show for me. It wasn't meaningless, not all of it anyway.

I also enjoyed the ending and epilogue, after all the bulshit they wen't through it was about damn time fate worked in their favor for once.

MFauli
Mon, 04-01-2013, 04:23 PM
Watched ep 1, thanks for the recommendation.

While I enjoyed it overall, thereīs on BIG problem I have so far. I should be used to that since Im not new to anime, but still: So the opening scene shows a very young doctor. Next to him an even younger, clueless moe-girl. And they soon meet a similarly young girl that publishes her articles in science magazines. WTF?! Yeah, yeah, in anime and JRPGs, itīs always young people that save the world, but come on! The world of science is a world of older people because it takes time to gather the required knowledge. I could accept the fairly young doctor, but the girl? Sigh. Pandering to the otaku audience.

Anyway, will keep watching.

EDIT: Ep 3 finished. So I take it Kyouma isnt a real doctor, just making up stuff. I really like the similarity of his character to the protagonist of Chaos;Head. Totally deluded in his own crazy world. The only thing Iīd like to know now is how he sustains this life of his. Where does he works, how does he get money for a living?

----------------------------------------------------
ep 16 watched.

Fantastic show. So far. What I hope to see adressed, though, is the fact that while Kyouma stays the same, EVERYTIME he leaps back in time, he forsakens his friends in that world line. Because every time leap creates a new world line with all the more or less subtle changes he set in motion. Thatīs what I donīt like about this showīs concept and I cannot see a non-tragic end because of it. Like, even if Kyouma manages to save "everyone" in the end, he should realize "Nobody here is the original. I sacrificed hundreds of friends to create this one ideal world line ..."

Well, I donīt want anybody spoiling me anything, so Ill just go watch the rest.
-----------------------------------------------------

Finished the whole thing.

Great anime, but last episode was completely unneeded. Did they have to fill that time slot or what?

Kinda disappointed that the anime didnīt respond to what I mentioned earlier: It might be a happy end at first look, buuuuut all those "failed" world lines are just as real as the one Kyouma ended up in. Just he has what he wanted: a world line where Kurisu and Mayushi are well alive.
But now there are dozens of world lines where Mayushi died, sometimes Kurisu, too. AND he left his friends behind everytime he leapt through time! Was it ever explained what happens to the body that stays in the present, while the memories leap back through time? Maybe body is left without a mind, maybe everytime Kyouma went back, his friends from that world line had to watch their friend die. And so on.

The only reason why it appears like a happyend is because Kyouma doesnīt think of all this stuff, or chooses to ignore it. Otherwise heīd realize: He didnīt save anyone but his own desires. And if heīd think some more, heīd come to a point where heīd say "fuck it all, itīs all meaningless". You know, because when anything happens, be it in this or that world line, why try at all? You know that in some world lines you fail no matter what. That the people you care fore have to suffer no matter what. That aspect is being ignored. And maybe for the better.

Oh, and wtf, biggest surprise at the end: Kyouma is supposed to be 18? What, were they afraid to have an older protagonist? I though heīd be something like 25 or older. He certainly looks it.

Do not double post in future. Consider this a warning. -Buff

Xrlderek
Wed, 04-03-2013, 08:24 AM
it's a while since I read it but the visual novel had decent alternative routes and may have explored that notion( I can't remember for sure). Probably boring to read right after watching it but I'd suggest trying out the VN instead of rewatching the anime if you feel like rewatching it sometime later on.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 04-03-2013, 09:24 AM
I suppose it didn't matter to him. As long as he created ONE timeline that where everyone was safe, he was satisfied in knowing that somewhere in the universe there was a happy end.

Which was the "last episode"? The one where they explain Daru's wife? If so, that's an OVA that was added on at the end. The last episode from memory was the one where Kyouma faked his death.

MFauli
Wed, 04-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Which was the "last episode"? The one where they explain Daru's wife? If so, that's an OVA that was added on at the end. The last episode from memory was the one where Kyouma faked his death.

ok, that makes more sense then.

David75
Thu, 04-19-2018, 03:04 PM
Steins;Gate 0 episode 1&2 are out.
First ep is more a quick setup and character review. Somehow these are the initial parameters for that timeline.
But it was boring.
Second ep is more like I like my Steins;Gate
Hope we'll get some reactions in that thread.

MFauli
Thu, 04-19-2018, 04:09 PM
Greatly enjoyed both episodes. This anime feels like a weekly emotional punch to the gut, though. I wanna hug Okabe and cry together ...

Buffalobiian
Fri, 04-20-2018, 02:41 AM
I've got to go back to RandomC and re-read some parts of the main story, but so far I agree that the first 2 episodes are pretty good. Kurisu dropped her politeness a little too quickly to be believable, but I'll tolerate it for the sake of getting on with the story.

David75
Wed, 04-25-2018, 02:58 PM
We're still in a setting phase. We're not in an active one yet. The end of the ep was not a surprise, we've been warned many times.

MFauli
Wed, 08-08-2018, 05:07 PM
Is there no thread for Zero? Anyway.

Crying. Gotdam. "But I like Hououin Kyouma even more!" had me break. :(