PDA

View Full Version : Jesus Christ! An 8.9 Earthquake struck near Japan, 10m Tsunami followed

Cal_kashi
Fri, 03-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Here's a link to an article for anyone who was oblivious:
8.9 earthquake and 10m Tsunami (http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-News/2011/0311/Japan-earthquake-Eyewitness-accounts-capture-Japan-s-tsunami-after-earthquake)

What do you say to something like that besides thank God the epicenter wasn't on land, or in a big city. Worst Quake evar for Japan.

I live in CA, as does much of my family.

My dad was just trying to get to Dana Point harbor to watch and it's completely closed by police. He said he couldn't get to a beaches (on his way to work) when he tried.

My brother lives a block or two from Mitchel's cove in Santa Cruz. I talked to him maybe 40 minutes ago and he said he was gonna head over to the beach to check things out, but he wasn't expecting to see anything. Also, he told me that if he did see anything of note that he would call me and tell me about it, as he hasn't I expect there wasn't much to be seen in Santa Cruz.

Kraco
Fri, 03-11-2011, 12:43 PM
The videos they showed on TV news with whole buildings, crewless ships, and hundreds of cars floating in the tsunami water were crazy. The property damages will be huge.

Lucifus
Fri, 03-11-2011, 12:54 PM
What do you say to something like that besides thank God the epicenter wasn't on land, or in a big city.

I echo those sentiments right there. The videos truly make this out to be one hell of a disaster.

rockmanj
Fri, 03-11-2011, 03:02 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598 that video is insane. Its like something out of a disaster flick. Luckily, all of my japanese and hawaiian friends are safe.

RyougaZell
Fri, 03-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Mexican TV says there are 1000 reported deaths and lots of missing.

I was seeing Japanese TV through USTREAM here (mind you its a webpage from Peru... but the video is in Japanese so... whatever):
http://noticias.universia.edu.pe/en-portada/noticia/2011/03/11/800400/terremoto-japon-sigue-imagenes-vivo.html

Cal_kashi
Fri, 03-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Mexican TV says there are 1000 reported deaths and lots of missing.

I was seeing Japanese TV through USTREAM here (mind you its a webpage from Peru... but the video is in Japanese so... whatever):
http://noticias.universia.edu.pe/en-portada/noticia/2011/03/11/800400/terremoto-japon-sigue-imagenes-vivo.html

I've heard that there is even a whole passenger train missing. That's terrifying.

Death BOO Z
Fri, 03-11-2011, 06:45 PM
they say there's a cruise ship with 100 passengers missing as well.

the videos are frighting.

Inazuma
Sat, 03-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Now it's up to 2000 dead, a lot more missing, hospital overrun and even refusing people that are not in critical condition.
I've learned that some French Areva Nuclear experts have been called for backup in order to stabilize some plants.
There is no public transportation working, ten of thousands are homeless.

In short, Japan is fucked up pretty good and the damages are already counted in billions

sl00ke
Sat, 03-12-2011, 10:54 AM
according to the japanese news its 12500 people missing or dead, my fiancees friend died,
I was sitting at the 7th floor yesterday and it was shaking like hell here in Tokyo.
I heard about a family that got evacuated, but there was no time to bring their dogs that were leashed in the yard.. so they all died
this shit is crazy, half of tokyo is without electricty and a powerplant exploded so there is warning about radioactive materials in the air

animus
Sat, 03-12-2011, 07:47 PM
The anime Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 came to mind when I first heard about this.

Animeniax
Sat, 03-12-2011, 11:46 PM
It's been a little frustrating but the news programs keep showing the same 5 images/video of property damage and cars floating away. Why don't they show more of the human side, the coping, the sadness, the shock, the efforts to recover and organize?

Ryllharu
Sun, 03-13-2011, 05:07 AM
The anime Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 came to mind when I first heard about this.
I thought of 51 Ways to Save My Girlfriend (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=13106). Just like with the nuclear bombs at the end of WWII, it isn't the event itself that causes the most suffering, it is what happens in the days/weeks afterward. It's when people are at their most desperate that they can become their worst.

@Animeniax: You can find them, but you've got to scroll thought dozens if not hundreds of photos. Start at this one (http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/SOS-sign-written-ground-Shizugawa-High-School-Minamisanrikucho-Miyagi-Prefecture/photo//110313/481/urn_publicid_ap_org234a3292fbf746d484760740e5467ff 4//s:/ap/ap_on_bi_ge/as_japan_earthquake#photoViewer=/110313/ids_photos_india_wl/ra906114175.jpg) and you'll find some. Also, news programs like CNN, MSNBC, and FOXnews, love disasters, but not the recovery. They only get good ratings on bad news. A feeling of relief doesn't keep viewers watching.

Inazuma
Sun, 03-13-2011, 09:42 AM
Can someone confirm, I saw on tv that a Volcano is going active.
Also, is that Nuclear plant near Tokyo really going to go off ?

Sapphire
Sun, 03-13-2011, 11:06 AM
From what I undestand from SC (http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2011/03/12/fukushima-reactor-in-meltdown/#comment-774603):

No, there is no meltdown. The release of irradiated material was due to pressure-relief efforts (releasing some of the steam from the pressure vessel), and it was this released steam that caused the subsequent explosion above the rector. Water cracked into hydrogen and oxygen by the heat, which was mixed with water vapour and a tiny quantity of radioisotopes in the steam, recombined explosively.

And that makes the most sense to me. I think they are still trying to figure out how to cool the reactor cores. A lot sounds like media-terror hype. The possibility that is completely self-destructs is minimal, according to them.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 03-13-2011, 11:55 AM
I thought of 51 Ways to Save My Girlfriend (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=13106). Just like with the nuclear bombs at the end of WWII, it isn't the event itself that causes the most suffering, it is what happens in the days/weeks afterward. It's when people are at their most desperate that they can become their worst.

I'm just glad it's not as bad as either scenarios.

Ryllharu
Sun, 03-13-2011, 12:09 PM
And that makes the most sense to me. I think they are still trying to figure out how to cool the reactor cores. A lot sounds like media-terror hype. The possibility that is completely self-destructs is minimal, according to them.
Yes, it sounds like very much a Three Mile Island sort of event, though certainly slightly less successful. Anti-nuclear activists will be having a field day with this despite that Japanese plant being one of the oldest in the world still in operation (constructed in 1966).

What should be lauded as a testament to how much worse things could have been considering the circumstances will unfortunately be used by certain organizations to their advantage. When the world finally gets over their stigma of nuclear power, and we can finally build much safer reactors where this couldn't even occur in the first place, but by that time, it will be disgustingly more expensive. Sadly, we'll all pay the price.

The Japanese nuclear engineers should be proud, so far they've done a spectacular job while the media spreads fear, uncertainty, and doubt. My favorite so far was celebrity-scientist Dr. Michio Kaku pouring bottled water on a red plastic brick on ABC. Really educating the public there...

RyougaZell
Mon, 03-14-2011, 10:44 AM
It seems several losers are celebrating the Tsunami because its vengence for Pearl Harbor --> http://i.imgur.com/wbiJh.jpg

I can't beleive people can be like that.

darkshadow
Mon, 03-14-2011, 10:57 AM
That's pretty damn stupid, I guess they forgot how the US massacred 2 entire cities in that same war.

KitKat
Mon, 03-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Yes, it sounds like very much a Three Mile Island sort of event, though certainly slightly less successful. Anti-nuclear activists will be having a field day with this despite that Japanese plant being one of the oldest in the world still in operation (constructed in 1966).

What should be lauded as a testament to how much worse things could have been considering the circumstances will unfortunately be used by certain organizations to their advantage. When the world finally gets over their stigma of nuclear power, and we can finally build much safer reactors where this couldn't even occur in the first place, but by that time, it will be disgustingly more expensive. Sadly, we'll all pay the price.

The Japanese nuclear engineers should be proud, so far they've done a spectacular job while the media spreads fear, uncertainty, and doubt. My favorite so far was celebrity-scientist Dr. Michio Kaku pouring bottled water on a red plastic brick on ABC. Really educating the public there...

I agee. Baseless ignorant anti-nuclear propaganda is one of my pet peeves. The only reason we get stuck with these antique nuclear reactors is because the anti-nuclear activists incite fear among the population, resulting in budget cuts to nuclear programs, so instead of building new reactors with state-of-the-art safety features, we have to make do keeping the old reactors running way past their estimated lifespan. Taking them offline isn't an option because then there would be an energy deficit. I know this is the story in Ontario at least.

People have a tendency to freak out about radiation, but really, it's naturally present everywhere. Heck, on average, smokers receive a radiation dose that's 10X the maximum allowed dose for nuclear workers in a year, due to radioactive elements in tobacco. In modern nuclear reactors, it's virtually impossible to make them explode. And no, this is not a baseless internet rumor I'm quoting. I have actually studied nuclear engineering under some of the top nuclear engineers in Canada.

I say, kudos to Japan, they're doing awesome. My prayers are with those engineers especially, fighting not only broken equipment but public disgrace and widespread fear mongering.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 03-15-2011, 03:41 AM
The safety concerns I have with nuclear energy is not the plant blowing up, but the storage and disposal of nuclear waste that results from it. Concern at a reasonable level that is, as opposed to the said propaganda.

I learned that I can actually benefit from Japan's crisis. Just walked past a foreign currency exchange booth and learned that I can now sell my JPY for 85:1 instead of the previous 90:1. That's a big difference considering I'm holding onto 100K+ JPY in notes that are useless in Australia.

The buy rate hasn't changed all that much though.

edit:hmm, wait.. that means JPY actually went u compared to AUD.. what the?

TwisT
Tue, 03-15-2011, 04:44 AM
well from what i have understood from Swedish media is that the cooling have stopped in all reactors from the power-outage. When the existing water in the tanks heat up they start to release hydrogen and the pressure builds up. And then they have to vent it manually and when the hydrogen mix with the oxygen in the air it ignite and explode. That has happened in reactor 1 and 3. And those explosions blew the roof of the buildings. And tonight an explosion in reactor 2 happened which damaged some vital part (condensation-pool is a direct translation from the Swedish word). The fear is that once the water have evaporated the uranium-staffs will be exposed and they will start to melt. After a while they will melt though the bottom of the reactor tube.

Also i heard that the winds have changed towards Tokyo and they now fear radioactive fallout blowing in. They have already measured in increase in radiation in Tokyo. I just hope they all get out of this relative unharmed. Earthquake and tsunami is bad enough. A new Chernobyl would make that look like a picnic. So close to population dense locations.

Agree with KitKat though. Always thought we should pour money in to nuclear power research. Make the plants safer and more efficient and learn how to handle the nuclear waste better. Coal and Oil will never be much cleaner and wind and water just don't provide enough. But as someone have said, "Sure we all want nuclear power, but would you want to live next to one?".

Xelbair
Wed, 03-16-2011, 04:46 AM
You know what's bad with this reactor? according to professor, who teaches my group MatLab -his specialization are earthquakes - Japanese nuclear plants are designed to withstand two types of earthquakes - first group is similar to this one - very strong ones that can happen once for 100 years(approx), and the second group - for earthquakes so strong that they can theoretically happen only once per 1000 or close years.
So this reactor shouldn't be so damaged.

Live next to one? no. but only because it's likely to be in loud industrial area. I have no problems with plant, just the noise and/or smell.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 03-16-2011, 08:31 AM
What do you mean, is this reactor supposed to take it, or isn't it?

Kraco
Wed, 03-16-2011, 09:35 AM
I was under the impression the quake wasn't the problem but the tsunami that ruined their diesel backup generators. And the power company had decided to save a few yens and had nothing beyond those couple of diesel generators, unlike good and responsible nuclear plants.

DB_Hunter
Wed, 03-16-2011, 09:47 AM
Apparently the diesel generators themselves were secured, it's just that their fuel tanks were not and they were the units which got swept away from the tsunami. So generators got the back up cooling pumps going but simply ran out of fuel due to the missing tanks.

Xelbair
Wed, 03-16-2011, 05:47 PM
It was supposed to withstand such earthquake without any damage.
and i didn't know about diesel generators being the main problem.

Animeniax
Wed, 03-16-2011, 09:29 PM
It was supposed to withstand such earthquake without any damage.
and i didn't know about diesel generators being the main problem.

I don't think anything man-made can withstand an earthquake of that magnitude.

Splash!
Thu, 03-17-2011, 12:58 AM
I am appalled at how little help the Japanese are getting from the international community (particularly the United States). All I hear from the American media is complaints about Japan's mishandling of the situation. Are they completely ignoring the fact that the US is part of a treaty under which they are obligated to both defend and assist Japan in crisis situations? Japan doesn't have the military resources needed to carry out large scale rescue and relief operations but the US forces in the vicinity are more than capable. Also in terms of expertise in handling the nuclear problem, I can't imagine anyone being more qualified to help than the world's largest nuclear power. How does the leader of the greatest nation in the world, who btw happens to be a Nobel Peace Prize winner, spend his day? Oh Right! (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/obama/ct-talk-obama-ncaa-picks-0317-20110316,0,3277711.story)

I don't think anything man-made can withstand an earthquake of that magnitude.

From what I understand, most of the nuclear reactors in the world, including these ones in Japan, rely on 20 year old designs. Newer designs are apparently alot more resilient, but governments just aren't willing to spend the capital needed to upgrade.

Animeniax
Thu, 03-17-2011, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the thinly veiled attempt to slam Obama by using the tragedy in Japan as your springboard. Please google search for "Operation Tomodachi" and realize there at 50,000 US troops stationed in Japan at 3 or 4 bases and some of them are helping in relief efforts. US nuclear engineers are also assisting with the nuclear power plant crisis.

Splash!
Thu, 03-17-2011, 01:32 AM
Thanks for the thinly veiled attempt to slam Obama by using the tragedy in Japan as your springboard.
I make no attempt to hide my distaste for Obama as well as others who just talk and never act.

Please google search for "Operation Tomodachi" and realize there at 50,000 US troops stationed in Japan at 3 or 4 bases and some of them are helping in relief efforts. US nuclear engineers are also assisting with the nuclear power plant crisis.

Yes there are lots of troops stationed at Japan and always have been. That doesn't mean they have contributed a great deal. Up until now, the Japanese have been pretty much left to their own devices. The US isn't supposed to be a just a friendly nation offering *some* help when it comes to Japan. Under treaty, they are supposed to be the most active participant in averting this crisis.

If its not the US, I hope the European nations do a bit more. Although it will take a bit longer for adequate support to get there all the way from Europe. Either ways, Japan really could use alot more help.

Kraco
Thu, 03-17-2011, 03:34 AM
Initially Japan declined most of the help, because, they said, they can't guarantee the safety of outside helpers nor can they assist them in getting to the disaster zones. Nevertheless, some expert teams from a number of countries are there already, helping them. From what I've learned, the US army is helping quite a lot, having granted even a carrier to be used as a helicopter base near the affected areas. Needless to say, those helicopters and the carrier itself have already been irradiated as well...

Hard to say about the nuclear plant fiasco, though. They have receiver plenty of advice but since nobody can anymore get anywhere near the worst reactors due to radiation, it's not like it makes any difference if they get the advice from on site or via video streams... At least they think they are getting the electricity back, finally. According to our Radiation and Nuclear Safety Authority the failure to restore power for so long was unforgivable.

Ryllharu
Thu, 03-17-2011, 05:23 PM
From what I've learned, the US army is helping quite a lot, having granted even a carrier to be used as a helicopter base near the affected areas. Needless to say, those helicopters and the carrier itself have already been irradiated as well...That's not really that much of a problem. Our Navy is very experienced with nuclear technology and proper care with radiological materials. They're trained. The USS Reagan (CVN-76) is a Nimitz class after all.

CVN = Carrier Vessel Nuclear

Kraco
Thu, 03-17-2011, 06:22 PM
There's very little proper in this particular nuclear case. Every day we learn something new about how poorly TEPCO has been maintaining the place.

Besides, it is a problem. Maybe not to the carrier as such but it did demonstrate finely how bad the situation is over there.

Assertn
Thu, 03-17-2011, 07:26 PM
The safety concerns I have with nuclear energy is not the plant blowing up, but the storage and disposal of nuclear waste that results from it. Concern at a reasonable level that is, as opposed to the said propaganda.

I learned that I can actually benefit from Japan's crisis. Just walked past a foreign currency exchange booth and learned that I can now sell my JPY for 85:1 instead of the previous 90:1. That's a big difference considering I'm holding onto 100K+ JPY in notes that are useless in Australia.

The buy rate hasn't changed all that much though.

edit:hmm, wait.. that means JPY actually went u compared to AUD.. what the?

Should sell it soon. There are expectations that the Japanese currency will be weakened against other markets in order to help their exportation industry.

Animeniax
Thu, 03-17-2011, 08:39 PM
I make no attempt to hide my distaste for Obama as well as others who just talk and never act.

Yes there are lots of troops stationed at Japan and always have been. That doesn't mean they have contributed a great deal. Up until now, the Japanese have been pretty much left to their own devices. The US isn't supposed to be a just a friendly nation offering *some* help when it comes to Japan. Under treaty, they are supposed to be the most active participant in averting this crisis.

If its not the US, I hope the European nations do a bit more. Although it will take a bit longer for adequate support to get there all the way from Europe. Either ways, Japan really could use alot more help.
I see your from Canadia so I'll forgive you for not knowing how things work in the US of A. Obama is not a dictator-like PM like you have up there. He made promises yes, and has delivered on some of them (during the lame duck session in Congress no less). But he's fighting a resurgent GOP, in-fighting in his own party, impatient and short-sighted yahoos among voters who want instant answers and results, all while trying to fix the problems created by his predecessors but placed on his shoulders to resolve.

And the US troops stationed in Japan are helping out with humanitarian relief and search and rescue. I've always been an opponent of US bases and troops in Japan. But for this one type of disaster I'm very happy to eat my words and thank the gaijin soldiers for helping.

As others have said, Japan is an independent nation. They refuse help, if just for the foolish need to save face and appear ready and able to the rest of the world.

Ryllharu
Thu, 03-17-2011, 09:09 PM
I see your from Canadia so I'll forgive you for not knowing how things work in the US of A. Obama is not a dictator-like PM like you have up there. He made promises yes, and has delivered on some of them (during the lame duck session in Congress no less). But he's fighting a resurgent GOP, in-fighting in his own party, impatient and short-sighted yahoos among voters who want instant answers and results, all while trying to fix the problems created by his predecessors but placed on his shoulders to resolve.Off-topic, but I can't let this one stand.

If by, "not a dictator-like PM," you mean horribly indecisive leader, then yes, I agree (see Gulf oil crisis where he only got involved after people started questioning why there had not been any government action, his current lack of decision on Libya, his previous waffling over Egypt, and refusing to make a firm stand on Guantanamo Bay until last week...which turned out to be the opposite of his campaign promise).

If by, "all while trying to fix the problems created by his predecessors but placed on his shoulders to resolve," you meant throughly expanding nearly every provision created by the PATRIOT Act, expanding warrant-less wiretapping, expanding the jurisdiction of the Department of Homeland Security while requiring less oversight than ever, refusing countless FOIA requests (denying the Birther's pointless garbage requests is justified however) while trumpeting that his administration would be one of the most transparent, then yes, I agree to that one too.

Let's not mention his condemning of the Supreme Court decision to allow corporations to contribute unlimited funds to campaigns...and then vowing his re-election campaign will seek to raise $1 Billion dollars.

Yeah...what a spectacular leader. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Oh wait, this one is more happy to invite college basketball teams to the White House or talk to the media about his NCAA bracket than make actual decisions.

Though I can't say Japan is doing all that much better at finding a useful leader right now.

Animeniax
Thu, 03-17-2011, 10:30 PM
Like I said, he isn't one man alone to make decisions and carry them out on the force of his will regardless of what anyone else wants. He has his platform and his agenda, but he has to compromise with his own party and with the Republicans. Add to that the economy, continuing war in Iraq/Afghanistan, strife and unrest in some parts of the world, humanitarian and disaster relief in other parts, and you wonder why he seems to waffle on some issues?

Splash!
Thu, 03-17-2011, 11:02 PM
I see your from Canadia so I'll forgive you for not knowing how things work in the US of A. Obama is not a dictator-like PM like you have up there. He made promises yes, and has delivered on some of them (during the lame duck session in Congress no less). But he's fighting a resurgent GOP, in-fighting in his own party, impatient and short-sighted yahoos among voters who want instant answers and results, all while trying to fix the problems created by his predecessors but placed on his shoulders to resolve.

I am not so delusional to think that Canadian governance is in any way more decisive than that of the United States. That being said, I dont see how that has anything to do with Obama. I don't need to have a deep understanding of how things work in the US to realize when someone is full of it. Obama is very eloquent speaker who can argue his way out of a situation, but he definitely isn't a man of action. All he does is make excuses about things are complicated and how there are too many obstacles to get anything done.

Japan may be an independent country but unfortunately, dealing with a disaster relief situation like this is one of those cases where it really does pay to have military power (which Japan never heavily invested in). Japan's solution to their lack of defense spending is to sign a treaty with the US to make them their protectors. This is the cause of America's large military presence in the area.

What is needed to effectively delegate relief is an abundance of military class air, land and sea vehicles. Japan may have initially refused help from other international sources but I do not believe for a second that they would reject US help. As I have already suggested, the two countries share a special relationship when it comes to matters of defense and disaster relief. I was entirely expecting the US jump in within the early hours of incident taking place.

Although I must admit, I have heard alot more about the US military actively stepping in within the last few days, even sending in UAV's to closely monitor the situation of the nuclear reactors.

Animeniax
Thu, 03-17-2011, 11:30 PM
I am not so delusional to think that Canadian governance is in any way more decisive than that of the United States. That being said, I dont see how that has anything to do with Obama. I don't need to have a deep understanding of how things work in the US to realize when someone is full of it. Obama is very eloquent speaker who can argue his way out of a situation, but he definitely isn't a man of action. All he does is make excuses about things are complicated and how there are too many obstacles to get anything done.

Japan may be an independent country but unfortunately, dealing with a disaster relief situation like this is one of those cases where it really does pay to have military power (which Japan never heavily invested in). Japan's solution to their lack of defense spending is to sign a treaty with the US to make them their protectors. This is the cause of America's large military presence in the area.

What is needed to effectively delegate relief is an abundance of military class air, land and sea vehicles. Japan may have initially refused help from other international sources but I do not believe for a second that they would reject US help. As I have already suggested, the two countries share a special relationship when it comes to matters of defense and disaster relief. I was entirely expecting the US jump in within the early hours of incident taking place.

Although I must admit, I have heard alot more about the US military actively stepping in within the last few days, even sending in UAV's to closely monitor the situation of the nuclear reactors.

I'm not some big supporter of Obama's, but I think the criticism given is a bit much. He is young and idealistic and made some promises, but he is a politician and they tend to do that to get votes from the fickle voters. But there are indeed a lot of obstacles at every turn. Look at his healthcare bill. The Republicans are still wasting time trying to defeat it even after it's been passed. He accomplished a few of his campaign promises, but there's still work to be done. Now that he has to fight a Republican congress, I guess people will still blame him for doing nothing for the next 2 years.

Sorry but you don't seem to know what you are talking about in regards to Japan. As part of the treaty they signed to end WWII, they gave up the right to have a military. So now they have a defense force that numbers around 235,000. They do maintain a protective alliance with the US, but that's more because they want a relationship with the US, and the US wants to maintain its presence in Southeast Asia. They also invest heavily in technology, some of which is used by their military.

The US couldn't jump in during the early hours because it takes time to mobilize and what with the aftershocks and tsunami, what did you expect them to do exactly? Military power can't stop a tsunami.

Splash!
Fri, 03-18-2011, 12:09 AM
Sorry but you don't seem to know what you are talking about in regards to Japan. As part of the treaty they signed to end WWII, they gave up the right to have a military. So now they have a defense force that numbers around 235,000. They do maintain a protective alliance with the US, but that's more because they want a relationship with the US, and the U [S wants to maintain its presence in Southeast Asia.

I don't see how that contradicts what I said. I wasn't blaming them for their lack of military spending (more than aware of the situation they were in after WWII), just stating that heavy spending wasn't there. Their defensive policy clearly outlines moderation, even in the build up of defensive capabilities. Also, it isn't a simply matter of good relations with the US, what other choice do they really have if they can't have their own military? It is obvious they felt that setting up a medium sized defense force wouldn't be enough to protect their nation in the long term.

The US couldn't jump in during the early hours because it takes time to mobilize and what with the aftershocks and tsunami, what did you expect them to do exactly? Military power can't stop a tsunami.

The earliest stages are the most critical when it comes to damage control (both with regards to the nuclear crisis and rescue operations). Also, it doesn't take a whole lot of time to mobilize if your forces are right there....

"Military power can't stop a tsunami" -> And just who said that it can? But it can definitely help in the immediate aftermath of one. Clearly something can be done early on. I am sure the Japanese weren't just standing around going "Oh My!".

Animeniax
Fri, 03-18-2011, 12:23 AM
I don't see how that contradicts what I said. I wasn't blaming them for their lack of military spending (more than aware of the situation they were in after WWII), just stating that heavy spending wasn't there. Their defensive policy clearly outlines moderation, even in the build up of defensive capabilities. Also, it isn't a simply matter of good relations with the US, what other choice do they really have if they can't have their own military? It is obvious they felt that setting up a medium sized defense force wouldn't be enough to protect their nation in the long term.

The earliest stages are the most critical when it comes to damage control (both with regards to the nuclear crisis and rescue operations). Also, it doesn't take a whole lot of time to mobilize if your forces are right there....

"Military power can't stop a tsunami" -> And just who said that it can? But it can definitely help in the immediate aftermath of one. Clearly something can be done early on. I am sure the Japanese weren't just standing around going "Oh My!".

It's the exact opposite actually. Since they couldn't have a military and the US wanted to stay, they let the US take care of military matters. Then they went ahead (much later) and created the JDF, which is actually a hotly debated topic in Japan, considering their overwhelming pacifist mentality. They labeled it a defense force to get around the pesky prohibition in the new constitution.

The US bases are located in Okinawa (island far south of Japan), Yokosuka (near Tokyo), and the closest in Misawa just north of the quake epicenter. The early stages after a tragedy indeed are most critical, but when exactly is the event over when you're dealing with an earthquake, aftershocks, and giant tsunami? If the US had mobilized sooner and entered the region, they would only have added to the chaos and loss of life.

masamuneehs
Fri, 03-18-2011, 11:36 AM
I lol'd... then felt bad about it... then it made me lol again
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sakN2hSVxA

Buffalobiian
Fri, 03-18-2011, 06:43 PM
That vid.. makes sense. It really does. I like it.

Sapphire
Sat, 03-26-2011, 11:25 AM
For those who wanted to see more of the human relief effort, I came across this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CNbasLjSJI&feature=relmfu) song.

Marik
Thu, 04-07-2011, 10:50 AM
A 7.1 magnitude earthquake hit Japan today. The article states that it was a 7.4, but it was recently downgraded to a 7.1 18 minutes ago. (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/usc0002ksa.php)

CNN: Fresh quake triggers tsunami warning in Japan (http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/04/07/japan.quake/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1)