PDA

View Full Version : TVs

Archangel
Fri, 03-04-2011, 04:45 AM
I need a hand, how do 400 euros sound for a samsung lcd le32c550?

Someone summon DS from irc, i need an answer asap

darkshadow
Fri, 03-04-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm really not a fan of Samsung lcd's, but that's a pretty good tv, though for a bit more you could get a 100hz version with the le32c650.

Archangel
Fri, 03-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Bought it, fuck yeah

Killa-Eyez
Thu, 03-10-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm really not a fan of Samsung lcd's, but that's a pretty good tv, though for a bit more you could get a 100hz version with the le32c650.

What brand TV's are you a fan off? I'd like to know the pro's and cons to take in consideration when I'll eventually buy one. I always had Bravia's in mind cause Sony's 3D cameras are most used which would make their TV's most suitable, but maybe that's a wrong assumption.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 03-10-2011, 10:40 PM
DS likes his LGs and Phillips.

Kraco
Fri, 03-11-2011, 08:59 AM
He has a Sony himself so I wouldn't count them out.

Archangel
Fri, 03-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Only because he got a really good deal though

Kraco
Fri, 03-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Only a dirty rich bastard (like st33v) wouldn't count a good deal one factor when choosing a TV. But only a fool would solely consider the money, of course, and since DS is hardly a fool, it alone reveals he doesn't disrespect Sony.

David75
Fri, 03-11-2011, 11:30 AM
I didn't like LGs because they were not very user friendly. I admitt they seem to have progressed a lot in that department. I tend to think philips are rebranded LGs.
I do not like sony for their money ripping methods and the fact they are compatible with nothing outside their brand and/or media limitations.
Also, they did in the past steal their faithful customers from one gen to the other by lowering the quality a lot in the same range/price of products.
Samsung, well mostly price, tend to try and steal their customers with screen quality varying over time in for the same part number... especially when it's an awarded product...

Pioneer were good to very good, only thing is those guys never thought a noob user interface would be useful and of course keeping the advanced user one. What I mean is that you paid big bucks, you had magnificent plasmas, but then you had to scratch your head to fine tune them... I'm pretty sure their user interface is the main reason for the downfall, price isn't a problem when quality is easily perceived as high above the rest... Thing is, it was the case only after suffering the user interface nightmare.

Sharp had great sets in 2009 and 10. I do not really know now, I guess their 4th color gimmick was a really bad marketing idea, although increasing the brightness through yellow pixel wasn't that bad an idea, their promotion angle was clearly bullshit even to most non tech customers.

Should I buy a screen today?
Probably a 60PK950 for the bedroom, I have a space that I can't really benefit from in my bedroom, I have a nice distance from the bed, so that would really fit well.
For the living room, my current 42" panasonic will be fine, nice TV. Yeah panasonic is fine, only their pricing is probably not totally related to the quality difference they have from competition. Also their media compatibility isn't good.

Oh, and for the living room, I need to reinstall my projector and so on. Only I need to think of artifacts for the install to be WAF compatible...

Other brands? Well, I admitt I can't really think of something.
LG Samsung, Panasonic and Sharp all manufacture their own screens, many other brands only rebrand subs parts from those and sometimes add a premium price (B&O, Loewe for example)

darkshadow
Fri, 03-11-2011, 02:32 PM
As others pointed out LG's and Philips are the 2 I really like. I don't -dislike- sony panels, they are pretty solid, it's just that they tend to be way overpriced for what they offer. As Arch pointed out I managed to get a really good deal on my sony.

Philips is the undisputed king of LCD tv's, but their pricing is the same as sony's, so if you want something that is (somewhat) just as good I would usually go for LG. The way LG and Philips do colours just feels a lot more natural to me than other manufacturers.
Sharp, Pioneer and Panasonic LCD's I tend to stay away from all together, they simply aren't as good as the competition imo. There always seems to be something bogus with their panels, be it crappy blacks, higher power consumption, pixel defects, higher input lag etc..

Now for plasma I do like Panasonic...like a lot, before pioneer stopped making their KURO panels they were definitly king, but since panny started using that tech, they definitly took the throne ( they also make smaller fullhd panels than anyone else), secondly I would say samsung, but their panels are really hit or miss, you either get one that is fault free and just fucking great or you get one that is pretty good but has issues like loud buzzing or more prone to IR.

As for your assumption killa-eyez, yes that's a pretty wrong. Their 3D is nice but like many other manufacturers it suffers from crosstalk ( seeing ghostly double images of unproperly combined images).
The only ones I've personally seen do the 3D crosstalk free were the VIERA plasma display by panasonic...I think the P**VT30 range (stars being size), I also really didn't like their (sony's) glasses, I really noticed some flickering going on, while panny's glasses were smooth as butter.

Killa-Eyez
Sun, 03-13-2011, 09:55 AM
Well I'm gonna wait till the glasses free 3D TV's come out anyway. Right now I have a Full HD 51" Panasonic Viera Plasma TV wallmounted and the screen looks awesome, but it's an oldie so it has an appetite. Plasma's always have a more natural, wider variety of colors than LCD's and I've seen the Panasonic Plasma in 3D action. The 3D looked pretty solid, I just despise the glasses. I thought Toshiba was one of the first to come with a glasses free 3DTV. It's gonna take anoter 3 to 5 years before they'll hit the market though.