PDA

View Full Version : Preordering from Gamestop to get bonuses

Animeniax
Tue, 01-18-2011, 11:34 PM
What do you guys think, is this a fair system to get people to buy?

I personally have had little success with game that I pre-ordered (unless it was a consensus awesome game even before it was released), so I tend to wait until a few weeks after a game is released before shelling out the $50 or $60.

I'm not happy with only being able to get an in-game weapon or perk by pre-ordering, though I imagine I can get the perk via the internet black-market.

UChessmaster
Tue, 01-18-2011, 11:50 PM
It depends on what the content is, if it`s a timed exclusive DLC like let`s say, an alternate costume is fine, if it`s something that you would unlock anyway by playing the game like a costume or a character, it`s fine as well, if it`s exclusive content then it`s not fine, in my case preordering from gamespot is just not an option since i`m not American.

Animeniax
Tue, 01-18-2011, 11:58 PM
Usually it's exclusive content I believe.

Like with Dead Rising 2, it was a ninja costume that made wading through zombies 1000x easier. I think eventually they release the perk as a downloadable but by then you've probably already finished the game.

Marik
Wed, 01-19-2011, 02:57 AM
What do you guys think, is this a fair system to get people to buy?

I hate pre-order bonuses in general, unless it's something physical like a t-shirt or something. I hate feeling like I'm missing something in game just because I didn't pre-order or buy a game right away. I personally tend to wait until a game is $40 or less before I drop money on them. Most games these days aren't worth a full $60.

Another thing I hate, is when different stores have different pre-order bonuses. Like pre-ordering Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage at GS got you Heart and two extra scenarios. If you pre-ordered from Amazon you received Outlaw and one extra scenario.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 01-19-2011, 03:25 AM
I hate pre-order bonuses in general, unless it's something physical like a t-shirt or something. I hate feeling like I'm missing something in game just because I didn't pre-order or buy a game right away. I personally tend to wait until a game is $40 or less before I drop money on them. Most games these days aren't worth a full $60.

Same. I'm alright with Deluxe editions since I still have the choice (discounting the fact that they can sell out and never be restocked). I tend to grab games on specials as well. The rare one that I'm excited about are a different story.

At the same time, I don't see it as "unfair" practice though, however much I think "Man it sucks that I can have XX armour".

Ryllharu
Wed, 01-19-2011, 05:58 AM
I like the bonuses when they are something physical. Shirt, poster, key-chain, etc. It makes it feel like it is worth something, and still functional after I stop playing the game. Software unlock bonuses piss me off. Such as the armor and black hole generator in Mass Effect 2. Pre-ordering at gamestop was the only place to get it, and you got it at the beginning of the game. It's equivalent to the strongest weapon in the game.

Back to Ani's original question, I think it is a fair system when the additions are cosmetic (like a costume) or whatever. Just so long as it doesn't affect gameplay. Sure, it sucks that gamestop usually gets the better bonuses over Amazon and Steam, but they have been in the pre-order bonus market (in one form or another) longer than the others. I buy almost all my games at full price (lately I enjoy the stuff they cram into collector editions for even more money), so it is a nice perk when you can pre-order for a little benefit. There are enough random bugs in release-day games that the pre-order baubles make up for it a little bit.

On the other hand, I have gotten screwed once before by them. I pre-ordered Muramasa: The Demon Blade and they sold me the game, but never gave me the poster that was supposed to come with it because they didn't have it in stock. They gave me $5 off instead. I would have much rather had the poster.

TheBladeChild
Wed, 01-19-2011, 06:16 AM
Never liked pre ordering any game, never heard of any preorder in game item that even peaked my interest. Though, I usually end up waiting 1-2 years after a good game is released to even get it when its usually on a deal(most recently ME1/2 and The Witcher). And by then these deals might be packaged with all the "bonus" content over the course of its first year of sale.

Animeniax
Wed, 01-19-2011, 09:39 AM
I hate pre-order bonuses in general, unless it's something physical like a t-shirt or something. I hate feeling like I'm missing something in game just because I didn't pre-order or buy a game right away.

This is my feeling too. I don't like the thought that I'm not getting the full experience of a game because I missed a pre-order bonus. I'm not big on t-shirts because they're usually only available in XL so I can't even wear it.

Software unlock bonuses piss me off. Such as the armor and black hole generator in Mass Effect 2. Pre-ordering at gamestop was the only place to get it, and you got it at the beginning of the game. It's equivalent to the strongest weapon in the game.

Back to Ani's original question, I think it is a fair system when the additions are cosmetic (like a costume) or whatever. Just so long as it doesn't affect gameplay.Agreed, but these days it seems more typical that the bonuses do affect gameplay. I'm seeing fewer t-shirt and poster bonuses. In Dead Rising 2, the ninja outfit makes a huge difference in the gameplay.

RyougaZell
Wed, 01-19-2011, 01:45 PM
On the other hand, I have gotten screwed once before by them. I pre-ordered Muramasa: The Demon Blade and they sold me the game, but never gave me the poster that was supposed to come with it because they didn't have it in stock. They gave me $5 off instead. I would have much rather had the poster.

I got lucky with Muramasa. I didn't pre-order... but they gave me the poster. Last one in stock as well. You didn't buy it in Texas right :p?

I like Limited Editions that aren't exclusive to stores. Since this means the guy from the Flea Market can get me the game with no problem. Store exclusives are bullshit though since I generally don't have access to them, being in another country and all that. I manage to get an Atelier Roronoa Gamestop exclusive since one of my brothers was currently passing through McAllen... otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get it.

animus
Wed, 01-19-2011, 01:59 PM
I typically buy my games from a local video games store (one near me doesn't charge tax) over getting it from Gamestop. I'll only pre-order if it's something physical. Otherwise I won't be assed to give Gamestop my money. If Bestbuy has the same pre-order as Gamestop I'd get it from them.

KrayZ33
Wed, 01-19-2011, 02:08 PM
dunno, I usally don't pre-order but I havn't seen any noteworthy pre-order items

for example, the new DoW2 game offers items for each race, I don't care one bit because they are singleplayer only and sound very replaceable.
I wouldn't even want strong bonus-items (they will fuck up the gameplay), I'd prefer style-bonuses only, and only if they fit into the setting..

so no ninja costume in space please

Animeniax
Wed, 01-19-2011, 09:55 PM
The main impetus for this thread is Dead Space 2. I've got 5 days to decide whether or not to pre-order to get the rivet gun and mini-game. I think it's like Dead Rising Case Zero where it's a few playable levels and any character attributes you earn carry into the full game.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 01-19-2011, 10:56 PM
The main impetus for this thread is Dead Space 2. I've got 5 days to decide whether or not to pre-order to get the rivet gun and mini-game. I think it's like Dead Rising Case Zero where it's a few playable levels and any character attributes you earn carry into the full game.

Does it cost extra, or is it cheaper to preorder?
Will you get the game regardless (unless it's utter crap)?
Will you get the game relatively soon, or in months time when it will likely be on special?

Animeniax
Thu, 01-20-2011, 12:18 AM
Does it cost extra, or is it cheaper to preorder?
Will you get the game regardless (unless it's utter crap)?
Will you get the game relatively soon, or in months time when it will likely be on special?

No extra charge. You have to put money down to reserve, $5 minimum. If you cancel the reservation, you forfeit the deposit.

I might pay the $5 to secure the pre-order freebies, then decide on whether to get the game after reading some reviews. If I don't buy it, it's only $5 down the drain. I don't know if there is a timeframe to purchase before you forfeit the deposit.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-20-2011, 12:20 AM
$5 sounds low enough to get two bites of the cherry. All depends on if you have to pay in full before reviews/release though, as you said.

Animeniax
Thu, 01-20-2011, 12:23 AM
One guy on some other forum said he deposited the $5 for a pre-order, then didn't pick it up, so the deposit was kept on his account and he used it to buy something else. I don't think that's normally how it works, or maybe Gamestop can't legally claim your deposit so they convert it to store credit instead. Win-win for them, and for you.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-20-2011, 01:09 AM
maybe Gamestop can't legally claim your deposit so they convert it to store credit instead.

That's so stupid and defies the point of a deposit, but good for you if it turns out to be how the system works for everyone rather than the isolated case.

Animeniax
Thu, 01-20-2011, 01:27 AM
That's so stupid and defies the point of a deposit, but good for you if it turns out to be how the system works for everyone rather than the isolated case.

I wonder if consumer protection laws in the US are behind this.. basically protecting consumers (babying them) to keep them from making unwise financial decisions (we're notorious for buyer's remorse).

complich8
Thu, 01-20-2011, 02:56 AM
If they could claim your deposit for a game you just never picked up, I imagine that anyone who cares about the $5 difference would probably go in, pay the remaining cost of the game and immediately return it unopened with receipt.

I wonder how much money a company like gamestop holds onto from pre-order deposits in general though, and what soft of forfeiture laws they deal with.

OTOH, if they apply the deposit as store credit, rather than forfeit it wouldn't you just let it roll over into the pre-order for another game? Assuming you didn't like .... stop playing games to go get married and have a life, or something... who would cancel the preorder and forfeit the money under that policy?

RyougaZell
Thu, 01-20-2011, 09:16 AM
Gamestop has some weird policies regarding money. Its not a pre-order case... but this happened to my brother.
He went and bought an used copy of Yakuza for PS2. They gave him the game in an envelope without box or manual, so I told him to return the game.

The store clerk decided to refund him the money only because: 1) He returned the game under 7 days and 2) He didn't open the 'sealed' GameStop envelope. If he had taken more than seven days or opened the envelope, they would have refused to return the money and would have given him store credit.

I've never pre-ordered on GameStop... but if thats the policies regarding used games... it wouldn't surprise me if pre-order money would be handled the same way, through store credit.