PDA

View Full Version : Simulcast

David75
Mon, 01-17-2011, 10:02 AM
I read about this here and there, was never really interrested as fansub translation quality is often enough and encoding is always better than poor under VHS quality butcher encoding...

But thing is, even in France things move.
For example, we've had "The World God Only Knows" in simulcast and HD streaming too. By simulcast, they mean 24 hours max after the Japanese first broadcast. Not too bad.

Now we have Fractale available.

After searching into the service, it's more of a budding thing, meaning it might stop anytime... but it's at least working and perfectly legal.

To top it all, they had an agreement with a TV channel aimed at geeks, that did broadcast "The World God Only Knows". That channel is called Nolife , yeah I know :cool: . Thing is, this is a very active french ADSLTV channel to promot J-music. I would never have known that groups like Uplift spice, The Back Horn or 8otto exist if they were not there.

Then I know that those offers come with heavy advertising, their catalog is small and will probably be restricted to a few shows per year. Still, it's better than nothing I guess.
After the DBZ, Hokuto no Ken and Saint Seiya era in France, anime has been "expelled" from our screens (almost totally, can't be sure as I stopped watching TV around that time)
It's nice we have new "free" alternatives, as you needed to watch anime either on pay channels or other sources.

We'll see what happens in the months/years to come.

But seriously, we needs ways of getting in touch with cultural material from other cultures/countries. And yes, TV shows, anime etc.. also are part of the culture.
I still think it's a shame we cannot easily access to shows around the globe, even in their original language... for free when the TV broadcast is, of course.

I'm also very angry a service like Hulu is so stricly closed to connections outside the USA (I know you can try to work around that restriction, but free alternatives aren't that good)

But who knows, maybe someday people will use their brains and remember earth is a small village.

Penner
Mon, 01-17-2011, 10:06 AM
A TV Channel thats aimed at Geeks, called 'Nolife'... I love it! ;D

David75
Mon, 01-17-2011, 10:19 AM
A TV Channel thats aimed at Geeks, called 'Nolife'... I love it! ;D

well it's a TVoIP : TV over IP

Basically, your provider becomes a TV provider using your databandwidth to give you access to TV.

As you fear, TV quality isn't that good, even with advanced encoding, as an average ADSL bandwidth isn't that large.

But with years, some providers really did well (one in particular) and it's getting better and better. And said Providers are eagerly waiting for FTTH to gain momentum.

Regarding Nolife, they have a specific profile.
They are a small team of hardcore geeks. Not enough funds to start your average broadcast TV channel.
So they targeted that TVoIP medium and debuted in 2006. Everymonth they are nearing their end, but survive and propose very interresting programms regarding japanese culture, games and so on... and also French indy music as they are a music channel and MUST have 60% of French/European content.

David75
Fri, 04-13-2018, 07:03 AM
I'm using some Necromancer spell to zombify that thread...
Why the update ?
Well, after so many years of surviving, that tv channel is to be closed soon.
They entertained me during all those years, but also provided great cultural content and analysis.
Their last days are filed with nostalgia and it pains my heart to lose access to that window of fresh air.
I hope the talents running it will be able to create many other projects in the future.

David75
Fri, 04-13-2018, 03:23 PM
Double my post...
Just to give you a level of passion from those guys :
They are live right now, editing a jmusic clip playlist with fan requests...:cool:

Shadow Skill
Fri, 04-13-2018, 05:29 PM
So many things a head of their time.

10 years ago, TV stations and companies were dead set against Internet TV of any kind. Now look, everyone has a streaming service or is part of a streaming company for shows.

David75
Sat, 04-14-2018, 01:53 AM
Great idea back in 2007... but conventionnal tv and tv advertising is taking a plunge. So although the project was great and should have had reliable funds.... well timing was not right and they have to throw the towel.
Great night, very nice playlist.