PDA

View Full Version : Gosick

Kraco
Sun, 01-09-2011, 08:41 AM
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/1901/gosickss.jpg

"Gosick takes place in 1924 in a small, made-up European country of Sauville. The story centres on Kazuya Kujo, the third son of a Japanese Imperial soldier, who is a transfer student to St. Marguerite Academy, where urban legends and horror stories are all the rage. There he meets Victorique, a mysterious yet beautiful and brilliant girl who never comes to class and spends her days reading the entire content of the library or solving mysteries that even detectives can't solve. The series mostly focuses on Kazuya and Victorique getting involved in different mystery cases and their struggle to solve them, at the same time forming important bonds with different people." -AniDB

Themes: Mystery, detective, historical
Links: AniDB (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=7719), ANN (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=11759), Official (http://www.gosick.tv/)

Download:
Episode 1 - Random remux (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=184826)

Episode 1- Tsuki (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=184919)

- - - - - - - - - -

This was one of the series I was looking forward to based on the short description. Just like last season with Yakumo, I thought a detective/mystery series with a pinch of fantasy would be jolly good. After the first ep, this looks pretty heavy on the mystery indeed. The 20's atmosphere adds greatly to the feeling, naturally. I don't mind the gothic loli either as it seems she isn't there just to attract lolicons but has a well built character (voiced by Aoi Yuuki (Mina Tepes of Vampire Bund, Madoka of Puella Magi, Korone of Daimaou). The male main character isn't a total loser either, I noted, and is voiced by Takuya Eguchi of hardly any previous roles (Satoshi Osugi of Eden of the East among the few).

I'll keep watching this. The few characters introduced so far has been fairly interesting, the art is quite nice, including backgrounds, and, like I said, it's serving mystery decently so far.

Even if the case was obvious as soon as the detective explained it.

RyougaZell
Sun, 01-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Yep. The mystery was really obvious, but it was also just the beginning since it led them to yet another mystery. I really liked it and look forward for more.

Though I still don't understand all Shinigami nonsense.

Kraco
Sat, 01-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Luxury liner:

Episode 2 - Horimux (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=186412)

I had to extract the subtitle file from the mkv, increase the font size, and remux it back in. The subtitles were too small originally.

- - - - -- -

This was enjoyable, but I find it annoying how Victorique is so readily used to explain everything. I suppose there isn't enough time to leave the audience to figure everything out by themselves but still it makes also the other characters seem useless. At least Kazuya trying to act like a knight in a shining armor seems to amuse Victorique so there're some dynamics left despite the puzzles getting answers so fast. I hope we will see a bit of variance in the future.

Other than that, I like the plot so far.

Victorique's mechanic laughter was also hilarious, especially considering the circumstances.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 01-16-2011, 12:33 AM
How dare they cliffhanger me!!

I watched Derp's release, and the OP/ED Karaoke rendering lagged like hell on my older laptop (as did some of their previous releases).

Kujo's soft, but he's got a personality. This would have sucked hard if he was being led by Victorique's know-it-all attitude 100% of the time. Then he would just be a wuss and her annoying.

I find it hard to believe that Victorique truly smokes tobacco though.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 01-16-2011, 03:31 AM
I got the tricks behind the room change and the text on the wall way before Victorique revealed them. Pretty simple so far.

I think it is possible that the gun backfired on the old guy. It makes sense if you consider that the hunting dog planted the weapons him/herself. It would be risky to give them usable weapons that they can use to kill you.

Does Victorique even light up the pipe?

Xelbair
Sun, 01-16-2011, 08:29 AM
I've thought the same about the gun, room trick and wallpaper was obvious.
I don't think so - the pipe is used to give 'Sherlock' feel to her.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 01-16-2011, 08:59 AM
I don't think so - the pipe is used to give 'Sherlock' feel to her.

Now just replace "Kujo" with "Watson" and she's perfect. Ha-ha-ha.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 01-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Ha- ha- ha-

Nadouku
Tue, 01-18-2011, 09:59 PM
Started watching this anime today and I'm impressed with it. Although the mysteries were pretty easy to solve, I like the atmosphere that the anime provides. I also agree that the gun must have been rigged and Maurice must be dead by now. We'll see, though.

RyougaZell
Thu, 01-20-2011, 12:00 AM
I watched Derp's release, and the OP/ED Karaoke rendering lagged like hell on my older laptop (as did some of their previous releases).

I deleted Derp's releases just because of this. My computer is only two years old and the lag made it unwatchable. I waited for Hatsuyuuki-Tsuki to release Ep2. They aren't a fast group (specially with Hatsuyuuki involved) but they end up with good quality.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-20-2011, 08:25 AM
As per Zell's recommendation to post the results, the following's a test I ran using Derp's Episode 02 OP passage:

Intel i5 760 (2.8GHz, quad core, 8GB RAM), CCCP - no lag
Intel C2D E8400 (3.0GHz, dual core, 4GB RAM), CCCP - no lag

Intel C2D E6600 (2.4GHz, dual core, 4GB RAM), CCCP - LAG ( <-this PC used to handle everything that my laptop couldn't, including [Derp]_DenYuuDen OPs).

^ Same machine.........................................., CoreAVC - LAG (no lag apparent until towards the end of the OP, ~2:27 of episode 02)

AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-50 Mobile (1.6GHz, dual core, 2.6GB RAM), CoreAVC - LAAAAAAAAAAAAGConclusion: It takes a powerhouse to render those subs.

Note that the number of cores doesn't really matter as the decoding's single-threaded. The clock-speed and architecture (how new, and resultantly more efficient, the CPU is per clock) would play a bigger part. I don't think the i-series was that much more efficient than the C2Ds though.

Kraco
Thu, 01-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Note that the number of cores doesn't really matter as the decoding's single-threaded.

Not true. Although I'm not altogether sure about CoreAVC as I haven't had it installed ever since I switched to this quad core. Or are you referring specifically to the subtitle rendering? If so, then I have no idea and you might indeed be correct.

animus
Thu, 01-20-2011, 09:45 AM
I haven't tried watching the Derp release but do you have DXVA on?

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Not true. Although I'm not altogether sure about CoreAVC as I haven't had it installed ever since I switched to this quad core. Or are you referring specifically to the subtitle rendering? If so, then I have no idea and you might indeed be correct.

You're right, my knowledge was (really) backdated, and H264 multithreaded decoding was emerging as early as 2007. :O

I confirmed in Media Player Classic's threads to see what's going on, and sure enough I see 4 threads (assumingly because it's a quad core) decoding comfortably. (<2%CPU per thread).

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2522/31271402.th.jpg (http://img152.imageshack.us/i/31271402.jpg/)

When the OP starts playing, the thread required for subtitle rendering jumps rockets up. It peaks at 20% CPU towards the end, at which the clock rate was 3.2GHz. Working out the load on a single core, turns out that the thread alone required 2.5GHz worth of calculations on the i5 at that point - which seems consistent with our previous results.(the 2.4Ghz struggled, then failed.)

In summary: H264 - multithread (thanks for the correction), easy. Subs - single thread, killer.

Work-around for if you want/need Derp (applies to ED too):

1) Skip the OP, or if you must watch it,
2) Turn off subs while watching OP (use the "s" key in MPC to cycle through the subtitle tracks.)

edit: DXVA isn't on animus. Perhaps that may be workaround #3

Well now that Derp's little puzzle's solved..

-----------------------

Although the mysteries were pretty easy to solve, I like the atmosphere that the anime provides.

The gun/lock trick was easy, but that was the only mystery I got. I couldn't see the room change, or the wallpaper (yes, the wallpaper!!) until it was shown to me. I always had a feeling I was never cut for detective work...

shinta|hikari
Thu, 01-20-2011, 12:19 PM
Rather than being an indication of detective talent, those tricks are simply common in detective stories. I am not even a fan or read much of them and I remember those tricks being done in a story I have watched/read before.

Nadouku
Thu, 01-20-2011, 12:33 PM
I'm assuming that every mystery in this anime is going to be man-made, so supernatural powers shouldn't intervene... unless you're Victorique. :D

Kraco
Thu, 01-20-2011, 04:05 PM
The clean/rotten room one was more than obvious, but my overthinking ways sure backfired once again, because I thought the bloody text on the wall was created by having a swinging wall fragment...

What I was referring to earlier were things like the wine bottle and such. Perhaps some other details I don't remember anymore. But more the fact nobody else of the characters around has any chance to do any thinking.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 01-22-2011, 11:33 AM
Derp - Episode 03 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=188066)

Kraco
Sun, 01-23-2011, 05:11 AM
Victorique's past surely was quite cruel - assuming she was telling the truth. I wouldn't bet Shinta's left hand on that just yet. But at the very least she can now spend her imprisonment in a more comfortable environment. The past would explain her thirst for mysteries, even if not her skills at analysing human behavior. But quite a few of her observations have been physical evidence based, not psychological, so I guess it clicks.

This arc was wrapped nicely enough. An overly complicated way of seeking revenge, sure, but if the woman was mentally instable, it makes perfect sense. The weight of the purse was a good observation, but the tennis ball in the armpit... She must have encountered such a trick before in some novel. Not that the wrist of a twisted arm would be the best place to check the pulse anyway. She did good job of getting Kujo away from the faker, though.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 01-23-2011, 06:16 AM
Victorique's past surely was quite cruel - assuming she was telling the truth. I wouldn't bet Shinta's left hand on that just yet. But at the very least she can now spend her imprisonment in a more comfortable environment.

I would. Shinta's left hand that is. ;)

In that scene where she elaborates on how the culprit used to be locked in a small room, her brother coughs. Normally you'd think its his detective pride kicking in so she'd stop talking, but he was fine with her explaining the entire case afterwards anyway. Victorique also said that she meant it generally with no hidden meaning intended afterwards. Things seemed to fit in place.

There was also the earlier scene where she asked Kujo if being superior intellectually would promote you to First Born status in his country. Taking her past into account, it likely wasn't simply just a passing-by question.

Finally, taking Drill-hair's words from the first episode where he said Victorique could only move around with his permission anyway, I'd say Victorique wasn't lying in the slightest.

Her situation nicely fits in with the feel that I got from her in the first episode. That golden hair and the tall library gives the impression of a bird trapped in a cage.

Not that the wrist of a twisted arm would be the best place to check the pulse anyway. I never liked checking the wrist for a pulse. I always like to jab the neck. I imagine it's not as nice for the recipient though.

I'm loving Victorique. Her remarks are funny without being overly arrogant like in Vampire Bund.

Note: I'm not sure if this applies to the episodes 1 and 2, but episode 3 from Derp contained an "Efffects" subtitle track as well as a "Non-Effects" one.

Kraco
Sun, 01-23-2011, 07:13 AM
Yeah, I'm also sure her explanation of her past had lots of truth in it. But whether she exaggerated or otherwise adjusted it a little is another question. She seems far too civilized, wise, and intelligent for somebody who spent years alone in a locked room.

Ryllharu
Sun, 01-23-2011, 08:47 PM
This arc was wrapped nicely enough. An overly complicated way of seeking revenge, sure, but if the woman was mentally instable, it makes perfect sense.Her Italian friend Lee was quite a bit more clever about it. While she certainly wasn't able to get her revenge all at once like Julie did, she did it much more frugally. Learn Arabic, pretend to be from North Africa or whatever. If not for a bored little princess, she would have gotten away quite easily. I wonder how well Julie would have fared, though without Kujo and Victorica there, she likely would have shot the others without hesitation.

Victorique's past surely was quite cruel - assuming she was telling the truth. I wouldn't bet Shinta's left hand on that just yet. But at the very least she can now spend her imprisonment in a more comfortable environment. The past would explain her thirst for mysteries, even if not her skills at analysing human behavior. But quite a few of her observations have been physical evidence based, not psychological, so I guess it clicks.

Yeah, I'm also sure her explanation of her past had lots of truth in it. But whether she exaggerated or otherwise adjusted it a little is another question. She seems far too civilized, wise, and intelligent for somebody who spent years alone in a locked room.
She never goes to class, and spends the majority of her time "locked" in the library Conservatory with a half dozen books splayed out in front of her. Presuming she's been there and not in her dungeon the last year or two, she could have caught up on the rest quite fast. We also don't know how long she was locked up, it could have only been a short time (perhaps something like between her mother's passing and being tossed into the academy?). She certainly doesn't exhibit the short pacing behavior. Her imprisonment certainly explains why she feels she needs to have everything when she goes outside.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 01-23-2011, 10:28 PM
She certainly doesn't exhibit the short pacing behavior.

Yeah, she rolls around like she's got all the space in the world. :3

RyougaZell
Sat, 01-29-2011, 12:30 AM
Episode 3 was fantastic. While most of Victorica's deductions were easy yet again I was surprised with the whole World War reference they did.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 01-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Derp - Episode 04 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=190124)

Kraco
Sun, 01-30-2011, 03:26 AM
The mysteries were too easy this time. Of course the new femme fatale, with her book, is still left, so let's hope she will present something more interesting.

Victorica getting all cranky was a good watch, though.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 01-30-2011, 08:13 AM
Kujo, take your urge to breed elsewhere!

Ah, too bad that line was only in last week's preview. I was looking forward to more of that.

I hope we'll get to see some interconnected arcs later with a big bad boss (or a loli, I don't mind) with intellect that is on par with Victorique. Not only does that make things interesting, but it allows Kujo to be Victorique's winning hand.

Ryllharu
Sun, 01-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Of course the new femme fatale, with her lovely mole, is still left, so let's hope she will present something more interesting.A minor correction. :3

My guess is that Avril hurt her hand trying to remove the wire that severed the motorcyclist's head. It's a somewhat wild guess, but she wouldn't want to admit it because she failed.

Nadouku
Wed, 02-02-2011, 01:54 PM
What a way to die... being locked up in the crypt for 8 years! I can't even imagine.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Derp - Episode 05 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=191800)

Kraco
Sat, 02-05-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm really close to starting to hate Kujo. The worst part of him is that he's not consistently a lousy coward but rather every now and then he shows some guts. Consequently I tend to forget he's a loser, only to be painfully reminded later. At least Victorica is consistently cute.

This case didn't turn out particularly interesting.

Archangel
Sun, 02-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Caught up even though i'm following UTW's releases

This is moe done right, Victorica is adorable but that only takes a backseat role to the plot and the depth in her character. Unlike Kraco I also find Kujo to be a most adequate sidekick, some bravery and idiocy to counter Victorica's calculating personality.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 02-06-2011, 01:20 PM
I think the disparity in your opinions of Kujo is because Kraco sees him as a main character, while Arch only a sidekick.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 02-07-2011, 02:29 AM
It's news to me that UTW's doing this show.

I see Kujo as the main character as much as Watson is the main character in Sherlock Holmes. It's probably more correct to say narrator then, but I'm used to dear Watson needing stuff explained to him and all that I really don't mind Kujo one bit.

I loved Victorique's hideout - lamp, books, sweets.. i think i spotted a cushion?

But really, why didn't she hide from Kujo?

animus
Mon, 02-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Maybe she thought it was just a squirrel?

RyougaZell
Mon, 02-07-2011, 01:15 PM
It's news to me that UTW's doing this show.

UTW (Victorique)
Ep01 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=185877)
Ep02 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=186896)
Ep03 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=189113)
Ep04 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=190410)
Ep05 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=192079)

Kraco
Mon, 02-07-2011, 02:56 PM
But really, why didn't she hide from Kujo?

Being fed by the wellspring of wisdom, she knew Kujo was a lonely and mostly harmless guy plagued by a fairy tale rumour just like she's herself. A perfect candidate to alleviate her deadly boredom. Of course now afterwards that she may have some feelings for him, she might be too embarrassed to say much of anything of the reasons.

Archangel
Sat, 02-12-2011, 07:54 AM
She already knew of his nickname and that he was a loner just like her, she probably saw him as a kindred spirit

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-13-2011, 08:00 PM
PS: how many people are actually watching Derp?

Derp - Episode 06 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=193509)

Kraco
Mon, 02-14-2011, 01:09 PM
I'm not. I tried to watch a sub from a group called "Durzegon", but it was no good. Their editor was probably drunk. I got Victorique's release instead. The only annoying thing about it is the way they write Kujo (I can't even replicate it not knowing where to get that line above "o").

Anyway, quite an important episode. It should be safe now to believe Victorica did indeed tell the truth of her past. And now we learned the missing details - of the official story, at least. Still pretty cruel to keep her locked up for all her life but on the other hand it couldn't have been easy for a noble to learn he had married a murderer...

Lots of cute moments in this ep as well. The hat suited Victorica so well that it makes me think the magician knew it would end up to her.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Derp - Episode 07 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=194922)

Archangel
Sat, 02-19-2011, 03:39 PM
[Victorique] - Episode 07 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=194956)

Kraco
Sat, 02-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Yes, there's definitely something wrong with that village.

Kujou is annoying with his constant whining and attempts to stall and turn back. He hasn't got a drop of adventurer's blood in his veins. Victorica is trying to fricking prove her mom isn't a murderer and Kujou only wants to go back home, like some five years old bored of his parents' errands.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Yes, there's definitely something wrong with that village.

That alone makes perfect sense for Kujo to want to go home. He's not only doing for his sake, but for Victorique's too. They almost got killed once, and the only reason they survived was because:

1) there was a door
2) they ran when they did
3) Victorique didn't trip (I seriously was expecting her to)

Victorique's placing all her trust on Kujo protecting her, but that guy knows just how powerful he is. Powerful enough to take on an half a village or a pack of wolves - that he is not.

That old guy's prophecy sounded really romantic. :o

Ryllharu
Sun, 02-20-2011, 06:22 AM
I'm guessing Kujo will undoubtedly get dragged into WWII, one way or another. That would be the "gale" in the prophesy. Either he'll have to fight in it, or his brothers will do so and die, forcing him to become the head of the household. It sounded like they won't be together ("won't die together.") even though they still love each other from afar.

To be honest, I don't get the Kujo hate. He's not all that great at it, but he is very concerned about keeping Victorica safe. When he can, he'll protect her by any method available, even if that means pushing her away from him. When he's not strong enough, he tries to get her out of danger. He came running when he realized that non-Avril would be a threat to her. He's quite the devoted servant, even if he aspires to be more.

That crazy maid is pretty funny, and she didn't appear to be the guilty party because she suspected someone else was involved.

KitKat
Sun, 02-20-2011, 11:42 AM
I'm guessing Kujo will undoubtedly get dragged into WWII, one way or another. That would be the "gale" in the prophesy. Either he'll have to fight in it, or his brothers will do so and die, forcing him to become the head of the household. It sounded like they won't be together ("won't die together.") even though they still love each other from afar.

Oooh, good theory! That would make sense, since Japan will be on the enemy side in WWII.

I can't believe no one in the village took the time to investigate the murder before exiling Cordelia. Which makes me suspect that the real murderer is someone of influence.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-20-2011, 12:23 PM
I would love to see their fare well ending, followed by a fast-forward reflection type thing..

Just not too sure about seeing a 70 year old Victorique :P

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-27-2011, 08:10 PM
Derp - Episode 08 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=196754)

KitKat
Mon, 02-28-2011, 12:31 AM
Well, the solving of the mystery seemed a bit of a cheap ending. I was expecting a bit more substance to the motive of the murder than just crazy maid and a 20 year old prophecy. It looks like we've gained a new main character though, who this episode painted to be 'enlightened' and 'noble'. A bit of a 2-D character for the moment, but we'll see what they do with Ambrose.

The clip of the couple on the hill (presumably Brian Roscoe and Cordelia???) points to broader plotlines afoot.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 02-28-2011, 01:36 AM
Victorique - Episode 08 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=196880)

----------------

Well, the solving of the mystery seemed a bit of a cheap ending. I was expecting a bit more substance to the motive of the murder than just crazy maid and a 20 year old prophecy.

What stood out to me more was the fact that:

1) Kujo got pushed around by a woman like that,
2) Victorique managed to hold Kujo up with just one arm, and
3) No one else bothered to help.

Truly bizarre.

As for the murder, well this is the first time I've heard that killing the oracle erases your prophecy. We can only conclude that she wasn't quite right in the head all along. Victorique also managed to find the longest possible explanation for the word "distraction". :P

Kraco
Mon, 02-28-2011, 10:44 AM
1) Kujo got pushed around by a woman like that,
2) Victorique managed to hold Kujo up with just one arm, and
3) No one else bothered to help.

No one else bothered to help because Kujo is waste of skin and the others thought Victorica would be better off without him. Too bad Victorica unrealistically managed to save him.

As for the murder, well this is the first time I've heard that killing the oracle erases your prophecy. We can only conclude that she wasn't quite right in the head all along.

I don't feel there's any need to doubt her insanity after what we saw. Not only killing the prophet but also burning the city looked like solutions to her.

Ryllharu
Mon, 02-28-2011, 06:55 PM
I felt that far more unreasonable than Victorica saving Kujo was how fast Harminia was able to burn the city. There were buildings being set on fire seconds apart, when the aerial view showed them to be several streets away. Then there was the matter of their being oil on the bridge in the first place, when Harminia never had an accelerant at any time (she was always holding the torch in one hand and the spear in the other).

I was kind of hoping that Kujo would give her a judo toss off the bridge...but I guess they had to have her slip, mostly on her own.

I had thought her mother was dead. I suppose not.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 02-28-2011, 07:44 PM
There were buildings being set on fire seconds apart, when the aerial view showed them to be several streets away. Then there was the matter of their being oil on the bridge in the first place, when Harminia never had an accelerant at any time (she was always holding the torch in one hand and the spear in the other).

I attributed the speed to her use of oil, but how she managed to plan all this is beyond me. If we had to match up what was the most unreasonable, the fire would take the prize, I agree.

What came fairly close was Kujo's "words from the underworld".

Buffalobiian
Mon, 02-28-2011, 11:14 PM
[Shin-S] GOSICK OP Single - Destin Histoire [yoshiki lisa].zip (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=torrentinfo&tid=197100)

Buffalobiian
Mon, 03-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Derp - Episode 09 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=198328)
Victorique - Episode 09 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=198253)

Kraco
Mon, 03-07-2011, 09:56 AM
I still hate Kujou. He's the epitome of naive, gullible, and uncool male main characters. This episode was only saved by Victorica being so damn cute (and living in a gingerbread house).

Buffalobiian
Mon, 03-07-2011, 10:34 AM
I still hate Kujou. He's the epitome of naive, gullible, and uncool male main characters.

He needs to keep a pair of brass knuckles on him.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 03-17-2011, 02:26 AM
Derp - Episode 10 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=200285)
Victorique - Episode 10 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=200396)

Kraco
Mon, 04-04-2011, 04:42 AM
Nearly half of the wellspring emptied:

Episode 11 - Victorique (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=203694)

Buffalobiian
Mon, 04-04-2011, 09:21 AM
Greviel was such a bloody asshole. I so wished Kujo was secretly listening so he could jump out when he made that remark.

She saved your crush for you and asked to sport a permanent hairstyle (that doesn't took that bad anyway) in return. If you think the hair's nothing, well good for you - you scored a bargain. And so you go and walk all over her for not knowing about love because someone locked her up in a bloody cell.

Greviel just levelled up his assholeness.

Kraco
Mon, 04-04-2011, 10:41 AM
He's the son of the man who threw Victorica into the cell, so it's natural he's an asshole. But on the other hand, he seems to be granting Victorica more freedom than their old man would be willing to. Perhaps he's partly saying that to Victorica in order to coax her seek love. He has made no attempt to keep Kujou from her, after all, so he's not really that rotten.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 04-04-2011, 10:56 AM
But on the other hand, he seems to be granting Victorica more freedom than their old man would be willing to. That's my general impression of him before he spouted what he did at the end of the episode.

Perhaps he's partly saying that to Victorica in order to coax her seek love. He has made no attempt to keep Kujou from her, after all, so he's not really that rotten.That's.. coaxing?

I didn't expect the pedophile evil-looking man from the OP to be Victorique's father at all. Since she was released or at least not killed, I had assumed he was a half decent man with only a stubbon family-name pride.

Kraco
Mon, 04-04-2011, 01:05 PM
If I recall correctly, their family name is a bit out of prestigiousness, so the old man might have let Victorica out to allow her to help the detective son restory some of their fame and power. That would also explain the library better than anything else: It allows her to learn as much as can be learned without interacting too much with strangers.

However, I don't think there's any chance spiralhead would actually like Victorica. My guess is he doesn't want her to sully the name further, wants her to understand love so that she would understand how much loving a married woman would make him suffer (yet still want to help the woman), and naturally he also wants to have Victorica on hand to solve any difficult cases. As long as the last condition remains true, he can't do anything too evil, though. Ironically the more Victorica helps him, though, the better the chance he will get promoted to some office of power where deduction isn't needed, only sufficient skills to organize and delegate. That could be a decisive moment for Victorica.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Derp - Episode 12 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=204943)

-------------------

Victorique can't tie her shoelace?!

Buffalobiian
Mon, 04-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Victorique - Episode 03 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=206963)

edit: I meant 13. Thanks animus.

Kraco
Mon, 04-18-2011, 03:17 PM
This looks like a decent arc. Even Victorica needed to leave her tower to figure it out. The case itself also looks promising and has a nice background. I was somehow reminded of The Name of The Rose when the oriental collapsed with the coloured finger but that's just a fleeting association.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-18-2011, 03:47 PM
It looks like things are going to get a bit more challenging for our golden fairy. I hope this trend keeps going. While I like awesome protagonists, a crisis is always more exciting, especially if it is a mental challenge where she excels.

Ryllharu
Mon, 04-18-2011, 04:14 PM
I should mention how adorable Victorica's summer dress looks, since no one else has yet.

She was very surly, insolent, and arrogant in this episode. Wonderful. Similar sentiments are directed toward Avril for stepping up her campaign now that she knows about Victorica's gender.

animus
Mon, 04-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Victorique - Episode 03 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=206963)

You mean Episode 13 I hope?

Buffalobiian
Thu, 04-21-2011, 11:07 PM
You mean Episode 13 I hope?

Hehe, yeah.

The new ED looks nice, and better reflects this series I think. The earlier one looked like it was going to be some dark, hardcore mysterious detective series. This one's more of a "The adventures of Kujo and Victorique".

Kraco
Fri, 04-22-2011, 03:46 AM
I liked the first ED quite a lot, though, even if it didn't really reflect the visible reality of the show, only Victorica's background. This second one sounded more commonplace.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 04-22-2011, 05:35 AM
Yeah, the first ED did sound more grand.

And it gets released on the 27th! ^^

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Yeah, the first ED did sound more grand.

And it gets released on the 27th! ^^

Or.. perhaps not?

[Nipponsei] Gosick ED1 ED2 Single - Resuscitated Hope [Komine Lisa].zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Gosick%20ED1%20ED2%20Single%20-%20Resuscitated%20Hope%20%5BKomine%20Lisa%5D.zip.t orrent)

Buffalobiian
Mon, 04-25-2011, 03:51 PM
Victorique - Episode 14 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=209159)

Ryllharu
Tue, 04-26-2011, 03:22 PM
This episode was stuffed to the brim with Victorica "bawh..." moments, but it did hit on something important.

There was also a brighter side to Kujo again. He's certainly Victorica's best friend, and mostly vice-versa, but he wouldn't take any of her shit toward Avril. I was kind of surprised (as was Victorica) that he didn't take the peaceful route at all with the two of them. Sure, he's too dense to figure out why they the two of them are acting like that, but he still took the high road and refused to allow Victorica to be rude to Avril.

Avril did try to apologize (their little feud is certainly her fault), but I think it did hit on an interesting point made a few episodes back. Avril being playfully [jealously] mean to Victorica brought out her unsociable nature. Later, when the two ran off to the town and Victorica initially refused to go out of spite, only to fall flat on her face and end up crying, partly for being left out, and partly because Kujo "abandoned" her. The issue is that she blamed it on Kujo being mad and cruel to her.

She didn't seem to grasp the full reason why she was so upset. As a younger Grevil once accused of her, she doesn't understand love at all. She still views Kujo as "hers" like a possession and treats him primarily as a slave. She might have started to understand when she saved him, but to me it still may be more of a "treasured existence" than her recognizing it as some form of love.

That said, it is still Grevil and their father's fault she turned out that way, locked away and unloved. Of course she wouldn't understand affection, she's never been given any.

A dozen bonus points awarded to Cecile for capturing Victorica in the first place.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 04-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Bawhhhhh.......

That face! That face!!!

This episode reminded me why I am what I am.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-26-2011, 08:44 PM
I can't personally call someone a monster without meaning it 100%, so I don't really know what to make of Avril's remark. Was she just easily influenced by everyone and really did think think badly of Victorique's heritage, or was she simply underestimating the weight of her words? (likely).

The library better not be crowded now that everybody knows of Victorique's existence.

Does anyone else think it's weird that scientific glassware has just been sitting in the clocktower for like.. decades now? If people do maintenance work and stuff, you'd think that'd get cleaned out too.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 04-26-2011, 09:38 PM
I refer to myself and a friend of mine as monsters. I mean it, but in a positive sense. I think it all depends on who says it, but I think Victorique is smart enough to know that Avril is not serious about her diction.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-26-2011, 10:11 PM
I can refer to people as "monsters" under certain conditions (like so-and-so is a monster at Street Fighter, or my brother is a "monster" if we were talking about buffets etc) - but straight-out monster is still beyond me.

They've managed to portray it so now everybody including Victorique know Avril was only trying to get a response from her. Only that for me, based on that classroom scene alone, it was really evil sounding. Exactly like the highschool girl-vs-girl taunts we see in some shows.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 04-26-2011, 10:31 PM
I definitely agree that Avril sounded malicious when she said it. I merely wanted to point out that monster can even be taken as a compliment depending on how it is used.

My friend and I use it in a more straightforward manner though, because we are aware of how different we are from most people. Different is not negative, so I am fine with that.

Avril is pretty childish, especially when it comes to her feelings for Kujou. She should just grow up and give up. There is NO way she can defeat that spring of BAAAWHHH.

Kraco
Sat, 04-30-2011, 05:31 PM
Avril is pretty childish, especially when it comes to her feelings for Kujou. She should just grow up and give up. There is NO way she can defeat that spring of BAAAWHHH.

It's a bit sad to watch her waste her efforts on Kujou who sees nobody but Victorica in the end. Avril might have called herself dense, but she's not so dense she wouldn't notice it. But I guess it's not so easy to let go of your love.

Well, no matter how unlucky Victorica has been in life otherwise, at least she can be thankful for her cuteness that keeps Kujou coming back to her, despite her obnoxious manners.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Victorique - Episode 15 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=211072)

Kraco
Thu, 05-05-2011, 03:45 AM
This wasn't a bad conclusion to the arc at all in my opinion. Even if the amount of gold was ridiculous. One real thing that bothered me a bit was that the whole Gray Wolf thing still wasn't explained at all. Why did Leviathan tell the noble dude what he did with his last breath? Had he actually found out about the mysterious women before and then just thought to make amends by revealing that information? I guess that would make sense in the bigger picture since this whole show is about turning mysterious and/or supernatural looking cases into mundane ones. If his only goal was to save his African country, maybe he sympathised with the other man trying to save his. It would have been a bit strange coincidence if he meant nothing with it but only told it as a last joke or some general, cultural thing.

Well, at least Kujou scored a couple of Victorica points...

Buffalobiian
Thu, 05-05-2011, 06:47 AM
I have no idea what it was about neither. Was it a last ditch effort to say something random? The other thing that was left unanswered was the purpose of Brian Roscoe(?) showing up. Monster Hunting, he said he was here for.

???

He believes alchemy and thinks Victorique's going to play some key role here too?

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Victorique - Episode 16 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=212622)

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-16-2011, 12:43 AM
Victorique - Episode 17 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=214272)

---------------

Well while this was a nice arc that was pretty intense towards the end (and overall pretty much so as well), it was a bit weird. I'm not really sure what it was trying to accomplish. Moving Victorique was supposed to lure out Cordellia, but why only expect her on the train? It makes more sense to be alert for her in the facility's grounds as well since she's sure to be active there as opposed to on the train.

Brian Roscoe's always in the dark. Is he Occult or Science? And the guy who was sneeking around with engine oil on his hand seemed to be significant, but now that he's dead and all evidence's washed away, his part of the story seemes unlikely to be solved.

While it's a good arc emotionally, it's an incomplete one.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-21-2011, 07:58 PM
Victorique - Episode 18 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=215626)

Ryllharu
Sun, 05-22-2011, 06:25 AM
I'm not sure which is more amazing, that Victorica could fire a gun one-handed without it smacking her in the face on the recoil, or that the train crew had a maid outfit (much less boots!) in her size. Probably the latter.

This was an entertaining episode, even if it wasn't very clear where this fits into the whole story. I enjoyed the inherent deceptiveness of the two organizations quietly fighting each other (not so quietly at the end though). Kujo got to be a little bit cool too. He's still got a ways to go, but he'll become a decent knight for Victorica yet.

Also, I love Yuuki Aoi's assertive voice. She used to get all shrieky, but what she's using now is strangely alluring. :3

@Buff: Brian works for neither. He used to work for the Academy of Science on occasion, but now he claims to work for the Ministry of the Occult. In truth, he works for independently as a Grey Wolf (with Cordelia). Their goal is to counter Albert de Blois and his schemes. To what end, we don't yet know. Albert wants to use Victorica so he can come out of the upcoming storm (WWII) on top, keeping Sauville safe only for his own ends. It sounds like have those in power, stay in power after it ends. What Cordelia and Brian get out of overthrowing this hierarchy is beyond me. Cordelia's additional motive is more clear, she wants to prevent Victorica's life from being ruined.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-22-2011, 07:02 AM
Yeah, I have to take my words back. They finished up what that whole trip was about for everybody AND solved that guy's murder.

I totally forgot that Victorique shouldn't have been able to fire a gun so well. Now that you mention it, I would have liked it even better if she tried the first time, got hurt ( T.T ), but insisted on doing it herself (with Kujo lending a pair of hands). It would have demonstrated her resolve better, as well as showing the need for the two to work together. If Victorique could fire a gun so well already, Kujo really wasn't needed in that final scene.

Kraco
Mon, 05-23-2011, 06:08 AM
Bah, anybody can fire a handgun of that size. However, hitting anything smaller than a barn door with it is another matter. That's why I'm happy with them waiting until they had almost reached the device before spending the last bullet. It's also likely Kujo might have some expertice in the matter, being the son of a militarist soldier.

Kujo was certainly out of it in this episode. He had no idea what's going on. Fortunately he at least attempted to act. Maybe there's still hope left for him like Ryll believes.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 05-23-2011, 03:41 PM
I just wish he was a more capable fighter. I mean, he serves no purpose intellectually because Victorique has that completely covered, but he can't even fight and protect her well. At this rate, any other guy would do.

Kraco
Mon, 05-23-2011, 04:12 PM
He seems to love Victorica and I get the feeling Victorica isn't that far from loving him back. Being ignorant of love is the one thing her relatives keep reminding her of, so in that sense Kujo might provide the very thing she needs the most.

Not that I'd be happy with his performance elsewhere, though. But that's what I've been saying from (almost) the beginning...

shinta|hikari
Mon, 05-23-2011, 04:27 PM
What I mean is Kujou is nothing special, and he has done nothing special. This means that if any other decent guy replaced him from the start of the story, Victorique would like that guy all the same and fall in love with him too. I don't want to cheapen their relationship, but with Kujou like that, it is hard to think otherwise. I know it isn't supposed to be like that, and I bet the author wants us to feel that they were made for each other, but Kujou as depicted is not holding his end of the bargain too well.

The only time I remember Kujou being cool was when he used the knuckles against that guy on the ship.

Xelbair
Sun, 05-29-2011, 06:22 PM
[Victorique]_Gosick_-_19_[h264-720p][4272B1DB].mkv (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=217412)

Ryllharu
Mon, 05-30-2011, 06:57 AM
What I mean is Kujou is nothing special, and he has done nothing special. This means that if any other decent guy replaced him from the start of the story, Victorique would like that guy all the same and fall in love with him too. I don't want to cheapen their relationship, but with Kujou like that, it is hard to think otherwise.
Since I'm the only one who is ever willing to defend Kujo...I shall.

There is no way that Kujo could be replaced with just some other random person and it work out all the same. His background is the key to why the two of them work together so well. Kujo is a foreigner, an outcast, insignificant in his own country, subservient in his new one, but also worldly.

While Victorica is similarly an outcast, foreign in her own way, isolated and separated from her peers by special treatment at the school (not regularly attending classes, having her own private house and other perks), she in contrast has enormous significance in her own country, acts superior to everyone (except her father and mother), but knows very little outside of books.

Kujo is the prefect compliment to her because of his background. He is the fourth son (and youngest overall behind a sister) which makes him pointless in his own household. He isn't particularly skilled at anything. Yet his sister and mother are what made him caring instead of resentful about his status. In Sauville, he is an outcast, which allows him that opening with Victorica. She hid from all others before she met him, giving her her own school legend. But she let herself meet him because he is fairly non-threatening and intriguing in his own right. Being Japanese and a fourth son, he is also subservient enough that she can boss him around, which contrasts sharply with her natural frightened nature, giving her a needed boost to her social confidence. Before Kujo, it is heavily implied that the only person she talked to aside from her brother was Ms. Cecile, and now she even spars with Avril.

The most important part to her though, is Kujo's "worldly" nature. I suspect it is largely the same reason Avril is attracted to him. He doesn't compare to someone like Brian Roscoe, but Kujo has seen a great deal about the outside world that Victorica has only read about in books. She's (generally) forbidden from leaving the school and Kujo is her window and key to the outside world. He brings treats, new toys, and experiences (climbing a tree) for her to play with that she's never heard of or even thought about.

What he lacks in skill is made up in nerve. He protected Victorica without needing to think about it on the burning bridge despite being outclassed by Harminia. He was willing to do whatever it took on the train to save her before she demanded to be taken along. He faced off against Brian when he called her nothing but a tool (again outclassed), but he was not willing to give in. For someone who was called a weakling by his own father, someone who would never amount to anything had he stayed in Japan, Kujo's got guts. If he had the skills to match, he'd be fearsome indeed.

Sure, you could replace Kujo with another generic "more guts than skills" character, but without Kujo's distinct upbringing and background, the two would never have met in the first place, or Victorica would have lost interest long ago. She calls him boring, but she doesn't mean it. He's one of the only people in the country that can make her eyes sparkle with curiosity.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 05-30-2011, 08:30 AM
I know all that. Like I said,

...I know it isn't supposed to be like that, and I bet the author wants us to feel that they were made for each other, but Kujou as depicted is not holding his end of the bargain too well.

It is just that he has been disappointing, and it makes us forget his value.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 06-01-2011, 10:44 AM
So.. er, the guy just sees a loli gray wolf and rapes her?

He's more sick than I thought. I'm honestly surprised Cordelia's not more broken than she is (and she's barely broken at that).

Kraco
Thu, 06-02-2011, 12:49 PM
He was Leviathan's wannabe disciple, wasn't he? He has to be sick. But yeah, the story was even more cruel than I expected.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 06-06-2011, 02:35 AM
Victorique - episode 20 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=219202)

shinta|hikari
Mon, 06-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Finally, Kujo proves to be indispensable to Victorique. He understands how even she needs fragments in order to reconstruct anything, and seems to be a capable assistant even if purely by luck and instinct. Luck is still a rare asset after all.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 06-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Finally, Kujo proves to be indispensable to Victorique. He understands how even she needs fragments in order to reconstruct anything, and seems to be a capable assistant even if purely by luck and instinct. Luck is still a rare asset after all.

Initially I thought of it as being the other way around, that Kujo proved to be pretty worthless. He recognised that Victorique needed all the fragments, and that things aquired from the media weren't enough, but he still "failed" to put everything together, let alone put it in time for her to save her from whatever fate awaited her in the chamber. Brian Roscoe's move served to fortify that reading since he effectively rescued Victorique, then put her in Kujo's arms before disappearing.

It's only a little later that I really appreciated Kujo for what he ended up accomplishing, and giving Victorique a lead. During the episode, the fact that Victorique needed rescuing overshadowed the fact that Victorique needed to solve the case, and I likewise weighted the actions of Brian and Kujo in a similar fashion at that time.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 06-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Indeed Kujo is useless as a protector, but it seems that isn't his role anyway. His role is a companion and assistant, and in those points he does well.

Ryllharu
Wed, 06-08-2011, 04:32 AM
I'm going to go ahead and assume that Sophie is rather deeply involved in this case. It's not clear how deep yet. Cecile just casually threw out that she and Sophie have been best friends for about 10 years now, which coincides with just about every other clue Kujo managed to scrounge up. The two of them didn't think anything of it, but Kujo misses obvious clues when he is all wound up over Victorica, and Cecile is an airhead.

Kraco
Sat, 06-11-2011, 12:56 PM
Sophie's relevance to the case is fortunately still a mystery - otherwise Kujo's work in this ep seemed to flow a bit too easily, especially considering the timeframe. He found and met all those people in the short time (it must have been) Victorica was tortured with the fumes. Naturally I'm happy Kujo finally managed to achieve something beyond bringing sweets to Victorica, and maybe it is, all things considered, suitable his work didn't require that much brains apart from noticing the actor was the queen's spitting image. It would have felt too much a departure from his normal character otherwise.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 06-11-2011, 09:43 PM
I was actually hoping he gets some brains from working with Victorique. Her intelligence should influence him a bit more than it already (has it?) has.

Ryllharu
Sun, 06-12-2011, 05:27 AM
[Victorique] Gosick 21 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=220464)

-------------------

Turns out my assumption was incorrect, but the idea behind it wasn't wrong. I was thinking that either Coco Rose or Nicole was still alive, and that Sophie was one of them. Sophie's real purpose was merely to narrate the commonly believed part of the story. I got a bit disappointed until the carriage scene. However, I felt it was a bit too convenient that on that same night, Victorica and the two just happened to meet.

Leviathan...you stud, you.

As for the two Brians, that should have been obvious to me some time ago. Oldest magician trick in the book.

I guess the only remaining question is whether Victorica thinks she beat her father and his organization, and if he feels he won anyway. She didn't quite give him the concrete proof (to be used for blackmail) he was looking for, but he certainly has his answer of the who and the how.

Kraco
Fri, 06-17-2011, 01:11 PM
I underestimated the plot this time. It was actually very nice, the motive created by Leviathan included. There's no way Kujo could have ever figured this out, but it was annoying how he figured absolutely nothing out, even after seeing the resemblance and hearing about the audition.

Good thing the story gets a bit more complicated towards the end.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 06-19-2011, 05:55 AM
Victorique - Episode 22 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=222142)

shinta|hikari
Sun, 06-19-2011, 09:12 AM
I liked this episode so much I had to make a new sig and avatar set.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 06-20-2011, 08:15 AM
The "howl" right at the end, along with the Inspector's realisation was the best part, but the entire episode served to build it up, so I guess the credit goes to the entire thing.

Kraco
Mon, 06-20-2011, 03:03 PM
I though it was admirable acting from Victorica's VA. It went well beyond any usual sobbing or crying.

Elements in this episode came a bit too much out of nowhere, like the rabbit cosplaying rebels, and the whole legend in general. If they had been mostly introduced before and only now applied relevantly to Kujo and Victorica, it might have had an even bigger impact. I'm not saying it didn't work like this as well, though.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 06-20-2011, 07:51 PM
I though it was admirable acting from Victorica's VA. It went well beyond any usual sobbing or crying.

Elements in this episode came a bit too much out of nowhere, like the rabbit cosplaying rebels, and the whole legend in general. If they had been mostly introduced before and only now applied relevantly to Kujo and Victorica, it might have had an even bigger impact. I'm not saying it didn't work like this as well, though.

Yeah. When I first heard the tale at the beginning of the episode, it just sounded way too convenient that it fitted them so well. It contrasts with the steady development of the whole Black Reaper and the Golden Fairy identity.

I will also admit that I was slightly disappointed at Victorique's costume. It wasn't bad or anything, just that pretty much all of her costumes have had the same gosick gothic lolita design. Variety would have been good.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 06-24-2011, 08:20 PM
Episode 23...

Bawling like a baby...

Buffalobiian
Wed, 06-29-2011, 08:51 PM
Victorique - Episode 23 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=224467)

Buffalobiian
Mon, 07-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Victorique - Episode 24 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=225641)

------------------

This entire last arc just felt detached and rushed compared to the rest of the series. It had its moments, but they would have been much better if they were executed better.

I also agree with Ryll when he said the ending "should" have been more bittersweet - such as Kujo and Victorique probably never meeting up again (until maybe decades down the track) or something. You know, a bit more effort in trying to get back together after the war (instead of pretty much getting back together right after it finishes). That just throws the tension built up by the Wolf Elder right out the window.

Example Alternate Scenario: (ED2 playing lightly in the background) Clips showing Kujo and Victorique's daily living and stuff after the war, having them talk through their hearts etc. Follow that message through with Kujo and Victorique separately remiciencing that sunrise-in-water scene while they each look at the sea. But then something random (guy bumps into you - wind blows something out of Victorique's hand and she tries to pick it up off the ground) that reveals Kujo and Victorique were actually in the same location.

(music: Silence) (Camera effects: a few close-up pans from over each other's shoulder) (Actors: look awe-struck, Victorique's eyes in particular should have that unsteady shimmer of disbelief to it)

(sound of a wave crash)

"Victorique.."
"Kujo...."

(Music: Start again, louder than before, ) Whenever, Wherever~

You know the drill. For visual impact depicting what they've gone through, have Victorique's hair gone silver and have Kujo lose his legs. Also adds realism as to why they might have missed each other before.

This conclusion ties up loose ends, but didn't quite end with the bang and emotional uproar that it could have. And what was it that Kujo wanted to tell Victorique that he stated in his letter?

Gah! It just pains me to think of the unutilised potential this ending had when it's probably my favourite show of the season.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 07-05-2011, 02:25 AM
I agree about the pacing of the last arc.

My personal suggestion for a bittersweet ending would be Kujo losing his legs, but eventually meeting up with Victorique. I really felt anxious in that scene where he dreamed he lost his feet.

Ryllharu
Tue, 07-05-2011, 03:37 AM
Yes, I mean that Kujo should have lost his legs. What I wrote was:

hmm...I get the feeling that the Gosick ending was changed.
From something that was far more bittersweet.
from what I've heard, the final book isn't out yet.
I imagine it will be a bit different from the anime.I didn't get into specifics because Buff hadn't watched the episode, but I meant Kujo losing both his legs. They made a big deal of showing him trapped underneath rubble and clawing his way through the figuratively desert, only to have him perfectly fine. It felt like something had been changed, it just didn't fit.

My only other complaint was they never really explained why/how Victorica's hair changed to silver. I'm not buying into any supernatural explanations because the series has been so good at using tricks or science to debunk those.

I loved the short scene with Avril though. That's totally what happens most of the time with bottles. She's the type more enamored with the romanticism of an idea than whether it is true or if it actually works.

I didn't feel that this arc was rushed, it was really only the feeling that they changed Kujo's fate to make it less bittersweet, and not bothering to explain her hair change.

Victorica nun cosplay :o

And what was it that Kujo wanted to tell Victorique that he stated in his letter?
That he love loved her and couldn't live without her obviously.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 07-05-2011, 06:05 AM
My only other complaint was they never really explained why/how Victorica's hair changed to silver. I'm not buying into any supernatural explanations because the series has been so good at using tricks or science to debunk those.

It's a common theme and occurance in anime (and other east asian cultures) where extreme shock or stress/grief causes your hair to whiten. I don't know if there's a scientific backing to that.. but that's the idea.

That he love loved her and couldn't live without her obviously.

Yeah I (and we) know. What I meant was that he never got around to saying it when he finally got the chance.

Personally I was more impressed with the "wedding dress".

Ryllharu
Tue, 07-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Still not buying the hair whitening. I was wondering if it was something like she had been faking having golden hair the whole time and took after her father...then I remembered he had blond hair when he was young too (as does Greviel).

Yeah I (and we) know. What I meant was that he never got around to saying it when he finally got the chance.Aha, but by that time...he didn't need to.

Archangel
Fri, 07-22-2011, 04:03 PM
I won't criticize the ending, it surpassed any expectations i might have had and anything i would point at this point would just be nitpicking.

I'm seriously wondering why her hair turned silver though, does the original source ever go into detail on that one? Oh, and what's the meaning behind the title?

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-23-2011, 06:58 AM
I'm seriously wondering why her hair turned silver though, does the original source ever go into detail on that one?

Why won't you guys believe me? :(

Oh, and what's the meaning behind the title?

Engrish for "Gothic". Lolita, you know.

(Apparently the choice for the title included consideration for copyright claims and such. Forgot where I read that)