PDA

View Full Version : Spam

Archangel
Sat, 01-08-2011, 11:49 AM
My friends are idiots, and as such their viruses keep sending me spam

I use outlook but the anti spam feature sucks balls, does anyone have any other ideas on software of that kind?

Buffalobiian
Sun, 01-09-2011, 12:05 AM
My friends are idiots, and as such their viruses keep sending me spam

I use outlook but the anti spam feature sucks balls, does anyone have any other ideas on software of that kind?

Gmail destroys spam

Quoted for truth. My brother had that problem, and got 30 spam emails a day from friends.

I got him to revive his gmail account, use his old hotmail one through that, and all the spam's gone.

Archangel
Sun, 01-09-2011, 05:17 AM
Would that still work if i used outlook? I've grown accustomed to it.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 01-09-2011, 08:00 AM
Would that still work if i used outlook? I've grown accustomed to it.

Yes.

Let Gmail access your hotmail (or other), then use Outlook to access your gmail.

Basically set the POP3 access to gmail, and IMAP

I can see one issue, and two potential ones, however.

The first one is that POP3 will allow you to access Gmail's inbox, but anything Gmail flags as spam will go straight to the SPAM box in Gmail. You'll have to log into gmail every now and again to fish out false positives (if any).

One potential problem that can be tricky revolves around the sending of emails (since I'm not sure how Outlook handles this). Ideally, you should set outlook to only retrieve emails from gmail only, and send emails with XX@hotmail.com only.

Lastly, Gmail access your hotmail account once every hour. Depending on the frequency that your own Outlook client syncs with gmail, that could delay your knowing of new mail.

Munsu
Fri, 01-14-2011, 09:30 AM
I know you're used to Outlook, but I think gmail is good by itself. Try to get accustomed to it if you can. From my gmail account, I control about 4 other emails of mine, I'm able to send as if I was using my other accounts, got filters in place so that emails go to their respective folder and labeled properly so I know right away from what email it's arriving and on who is sending the email. I have filters that skip the inbox so I don't have to move them, but appear directly in their organized folders (of course, it lets me know I have unread messages).

You'll solve the spam problem and can manually force gmail to check your other inboxes on the spot, so many of the problems Buff mentions will be solved.