PDA

View Full Version : Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

mage
Wed, 10-06-2010, 10:15 PM
The game came out yesterday on 360/PS3, so I downloaded the demo and it seemed pretty fun and well made, so I bought it today. However, it's definitely not a Castlevania game. The main character uses a chain whip and there are a few references only the CV hardcore would recognize, and that's where the similarities end. It's more like God of War meets Shadow of the Collossus with Patrick Stuart narrating.

Still, it's been fun so far and I played about 4-5 hours today. Supposedly it's about 20 hours long. The game play is kind of repetitive but it throws in enough to mix it up and keep your attention. The story is narrated in between chapters, and the story has been pretty good so far between this and the in game cut scenes. Can't really say much though since I'm still in basically the beginning of the game. The graphics are equal or better than GoW3, but suffers frame rate issues sometimes, and I don't think its ever a full 60 fps on PS3. The 360 version seems to be a lot more worse off from what I've read, though.

The main problem is the music, a long time staple of the CV series. There are no memorable themes, songs, or anything really. It's all mindless "epic" LotR type music. The voice acting is spot on, however, and Patrick Stuart is the shit.

Oh yeah, and the game literally gives you hundreds of throwing knives to pick up, but you can only hold five to start with (I'm up to 15 max). There are no other items... just throwing knives... which are nearly useless.

Probably not worth $60 (what game is these days?), but definitely worth getting IMO.

UChessmaster
Wed, 10-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Sounds like a pass to me.

animus
Thu, 10-07-2010, 10:56 AM
I just got it and only played about an hour-ish but so far I really like it. The game looks amazing, and easily better than Uncharted 2/GoW3. Sure it doesn't really feel like Castlevania, and I'm glad it doesn't. The series has gotten so stale and redundant that this is a welcome change. The game is a reboot of sorts after all.

And there are other subweapons. Knives aren't even useless, since they can 1 shot most fodder enemies and I'm playing on Knight (hardest difficulty until the last difficulty unlock).

Archangel
Thu, 10-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Further suspicion arises that FairyGirl is just a fairy

mage
Thu, 10-07-2010, 12:41 PM

I don't get it :confused:

Knives aren't even useless, since they can 1 shot most fodder enemies and I'm playing on Knight (hardest difficulty until the last difficulty unlock).

I'm playing on the default difficulty and it takes several knives to kill any enemy. Against the fodder enemies I just grab them with R2 for a one shot. Don't know if that would work on higher difficulty.

Death BOO Z
Thu, 10-07-2010, 01:14 PM
. It's more like God of War meets Shadow of the Collossus with Patrick Stuart narrating.

that sounds prettty god damn epic, you know?

If I had a console, I'd be all over the game, jumping like a flea man.

mage
Fri, 10-08-2010, 12:19 AM
Beware, there is a glitch in this game that gives an "unhandled error" message and may erase your save. It happened to me at the boss at the end of chapter 3, but it didn't corrupt my save. Apparently if there are too many things going on at once and you use a big spell, like a dark crystal, it can cause this error. Some are reporting getting to the last boss and losing their save to this, so you should probably back up your save on a flash drive periodically.

So I'm maybe 8-10 hours in now at chapter 5. Mainly what's taking so long is trying to find all the items in each level. Even some of the ones in chapter 1 were nearly impossible to find. Maybe I'm just blind, though :)

Raven
Sat, 10-09-2010, 09:18 AM
Definitely Castlevania by name only, if the demo is any indication. Not every game can ride on God of War's coattails.

animus
Sat, 10-09-2010, 09:47 AM
I'm enjoying this game a lot more than God of War 3. The only thing I feel God of War 3 did better was some of the cameras.

Animeniax
Sat, 10-09-2010, 01:46 PM

I'm fairly sure it's a FairyOnlinetranny.

And it's Patrick Stewart (if you're talking about the ST:NG Picard).

I think I'll get this game, sounds like fun. I was never that big a Castlevania fan though it sounds like this game has nothing to do with previous versions beyond name.