PDA

View Full Version : Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt

Archangel
Sun, 10-03-2010, 01:33 PM
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/5192/dqhbur6h.png

A company of ghosts has moved into Daten City, taking advantage of human greed. Two angels, Panty and Stocking, are sent from heaven to exterminate them -- but in reality they got kicked out for bad behavior.

Genres: action, comedy
Objectionable content: Intense

[HorribleSubs] - Episode 01 (http://isohunt.com/download/218053293/HorribleSubs+Panty+Stocking+with.torrent)

David75
Sun, 10-03-2010, 01:48 PM
The art style being so particular, I'll wait for some input on that one.

Archangel
Sun, 10-03-2010, 01:54 PM
It's Gainax, they're always particular one way or the other.

I thought it was great, sex crazed panty was hilarious in her quest for cock and Stocking was a fun counter with her i don't give a fuck attitude. The soundtrack was pretty great too, it added to the whole insane experience.

Also the designs in regular art were fantastic, not often do i find a 2-D character sensual but Gainax pulled it off quite well here even if it was only for about half a minute.

Kraco
Mon, 10-04-2010, 04:24 PM
A shitty first episode but at least it ended fast!

Seriously, though (as if I was ever serious), the chaotic, hard to follow art style in the trailer encouraged me to avoid this series but as it began to seem the only way to shut up Archie on the irc, I decided to have a look at it. The art, which I first would have decribed as symbolic but in fact is just plain wacky without any deeper meanings, still bothered me a lot in the beginning but I got used to it, thanks to the characters and the straight-forward plot.

I do hate the dog, though. Despite it I think I'll keep watching.

RyougaZell
Mon, 10-04-2010, 04:42 PM
The art reminds me of a cross between Powerpuff Girls and Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi... so... no thanks.

Ryllharu
Mon, 10-04-2010, 06:28 PM
The art reminds me of a cross between Powerpuff Girls and Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi... so... no thanks.
It's like the cast of Drawn Together (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drawn_together) molested the Powerpuff Girls, and they grew up to be Panty and Stocking thanks to the PTSD. Which makes even more sense as I just found out through linking that wikipedia article that Drawn Together was dubbed into Japanese.

So no, I didn't find it to be fresh and innovative. In fact, it was pretty stale. Anyone following late night American cartoons would find the material to be pretty familiar. Gainax is just copying the US, and it neither entertains or excites me, because they can't outdo pre-2003 Kricfalusi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kricfalusi) at his own game. All the crudity, but none of the subtlety that makes it good.

Yeah, pass.

Pandadice
Wed, 12-29-2010, 07:55 PM
So I've been planning to watch this for awhile, and since it just finished I figured I'd download it. Of course, it wasn't very high on my to-watch list, and I was going through a lot of other shows/movies on my list first.

But then I saw this 2010 sakuga MAD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWrndKoEOos), and in it I saw clips from episode 5b of P&S. Now, I had heard about Osamu Kobayashi's episode in P&S, but I had only seen one screen shot and didn't really know what to expect.. So seeing the clips in the MAD was ridiculous! In an awesome way. Here I was thinking about Tatami Galaxy and Shoka and wishing we had more shows in their style, when P&S pops out this episode done in a clearly Ohira-Yuasa style. So I watched through the series after that, and I just finished the episode a little bit ago and it was just as incredible as I thought it'd be. Thoroughly entertaining and totally worth watching.

Also, this episode's animation was done by Doga Kobo, who's the studio behind Myself;Yourself, the Koihime shows and 11eyes. It's so weird that a studio like that would pull off this super awesome looking stylistic episode. Maybe they'll do their next show in such a style, like I.G.'s Windy Tales.

Another interesting note is that the main guy responsible for this episode, Osamu Kobayashi (episode director, storyboard, setting, key animation), is the guy who did episode 4 of TTGL. The episode of TTGL that was received so poorly that Takami Akai (producer, co-founder of Gainax) resigned. Which is pretty crazy when you realize that Imaishi invited Kobayashi back to do an episode on P&S. Luckily it wasn't as angrily received as the TTGL ep or Wakabayashi's Shippuuden ep.

I'm not sure if I want to watch more of the series or not. It is interesting, but at the same time, after watching 5b it seems like the rest of the series won't be able to live up to that.. it'll be disappointing that none of the other episodes are done by Kobayashi... I guess I'll keep going with it, but it is hard to watch through something when it shows you something incredibly awesome, only to go back to being more of the same.. Like, when comparing P&S to other junk out there it seems cool and interesting. But then when comparing it to ep 5b, the rest of it seems lame and not worth the time :\

vejita613
Wed, 12-29-2010, 07:59 PM
Truthfully, I only watched the last episode. But, it's spectacular enough to make me want to watch the whole series (if I can get my hands on it).

oyabun
Wed, 12-29-2010, 08:19 PM
The fully animated Panty and Stocking rocks though. It is one of the reasons why I watched the whole series(aside from the comdedy ofcourse), I'm always anticipating whether they will show the full version in every episode.

Pandadice
Wed, 12-29-2010, 08:47 PM
I take it back. Ep 6 was incredible! That off-the-wall high energy totally Imaishi animation was intense. You Yoshinari worked on the episode too.. I wonder if he did the explosion at the end? It looked kinda rough though.. But at the same time it was awesome. Plus You Yoshinari gets his own episode?? ep 23, I can't wait to watch that one! D:

edit: holy crap the transformers episode was incredible! I loved how they brought them in as the Michael Bay versions, but then P and S turned into the old school version. Then all the furniture transforms too. This episode was a masterpiece. It had a lot of the silly stuff that this series is filled with, but the way they paid homage to the old transformers was brilliant and handled really well. Just like, the backgrounds and settings, the explosion coming out of the guy who got shot, even Unicron at the end. The episode was made by people who watched and were fans of the original series, and I think that clearly shows. It was a very enjoyable episode.

KrayZ33
Wed, 06-15-2011, 11:02 AM
this is the best anime I've seen so far *music* wise.
and the animation is really cool too because the art and style change from time to time, so its always refreshing to see it happen
in my opinion its a perfect show to watch whenever you are bored, its funny and weird enough to keep you interested and it deservers more attention than it got here.

also... RUUUUURRRUUUUUUS

the animation/camera settings during fights are superb btw.
(EP6 for example)