PDA

View Full Version : Game: Fallout: New Vegas

Kenco
Wed, 09-22-2010, 12:41 AM
I searched the forum and didn't find a thread about this game. I played Fallout 3 and all the DLC and really enjoyed them. My only gripe... I bought it for the PS3. Normally I have no problem with playing a game on the PS3, but with the occasional freezing and how beautiful it looks on my PC, yeah it would of been a different experience.

Anyhow, in about a month, Fallout: New Vegas is coming out. I can't wait to return to the wastelands (Vegas style), and find a very nice melee weapon to club some people with. And this time, I'm getting it on the PC!

Anyone else thinking about getting this game? Experiences with previous fallout games?

Animeniax
Wed, 09-22-2010, 10:57 AM
I spent 80 hours on Fallout 3 so I don't think I'll play this new edition. I'll be busy with Dead Rising 2.

DeathscytheVII
Wed, 09-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Can't wait for it! i'm replaying Fallout 3 with all the expansions in anticipation :D i'm looking forward as well, to the return of the faction reputation system, and the 'hardcore' mode. Where you actually need to sleep, eat, drink to survive XD

Kenco
Wed, 09-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Can't wait for it! i'm replaying Fallout 3 with all the expansions in anticipation :D i'm looking forward as well, to the return of the faction reputation system, and the 'hardcore' mode. Where you actually need to sleep, eat, drink to survive XD

YES! Haha, I'm so selecting that mode. Hardest difficulty with hardcore mode on, it's the only way to play.

I am playing through all the dlc again, this time at high levels, and Mothership Beta at high levels ... yeah Energy weapons are useless cause everything has shields. But all in all, very fun.

About a month to go!

Animeniax
Wed, 09-22-2010, 11:18 PM

So basically you'll be living in the game instead of real life. Nice way to live.

80 hours is all I'm willing to give on a game, and that was excessive as is. Then it's time for new challenges and experiences.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-22-2010, 11:46 PM
So basically you'll be living in the game instead of real life. Nice way to live.

80 hours is all I'm willing to give on a game, and that was excessive as is. Then it's time for new challenges and experiences.

You spent less than 80 hours on MW2?

Animeniax
Thu, 09-23-2010, 07:13 AM
You spent less than 80 hours on MW2?

Indubitably. Even so, spending time on multiplayer MW2 is very different from wasting time on single-player Fallout 3.

Xelbair
Thu, 09-23-2010, 07:16 AM
Indubitably. Even so, spending time on multiplayer MW2 is very different from having awesome time with single-player in Fallout 3.
Fixed.

If New Vegas won't crash every few minutes like Fallout 3 did(it was happening only after finishing Tranquility Lane) i think i'll go into no-life mode with that game.

Animeniax
Thu, 09-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Fixed.

If New Vegas won't crash every few minutes like Fallout 3 did(it was happening only after finishing Tranquility Lane) i think i'll go into no-life mode with that game.

You can have an awesome time with Fallout 3, but after a certain point it's just wasting time. There are level limits and only a certain diversity of experiences and creatures to kill in the game, then it's just repetition and time-wasting.

Dark Dragon
Thu, 09-23-2010, 02:20 PM
You can have an awesome time with Fallout 3, but after a certain point it's just wasting time. There are level limits and only a certain diversity of experiences and creatures to kill in the game, then it's just repetition and time-wasting.

The same could be said about any game. It's not like modern warfare is above the trend of "repetition and time-wasting". There's only so many different situations you can go through before you start seeing similar results on the same map that you've played 50 times before.

Animeniax
Thu, 09-23-2010, 02:35 PM
The same could be said about any game. It's not like modern warfare is above the trend of "repetition and time-wasting". There's only so many different situations you can go through before you start seeing similar results on the same map that you've played 50 times before.

No, the very nature of multiplayer means an almost infinite number of possibilities for interactions with other living people. It helps to maintain your FPS skills too.

Ryllharu
Thu, 09-23-2010, 04:02 PM
You can have an awesome time with Fallout 3, but after a certain point it's just wasting time. There are level limits and only a certain diversity of experiences and creatures to kill in the game, then it's just repetition and time-wasting.That's what mods are for. If you didn't get the PC version, you got the wrong version. Bethesda published games are perhaps some of the most mod-friendly out there, next to maybe the Bioware Neverwinter Nights. I thought pretty similar to the way you did, until the DLC started to come out, and I stumbled on the better mod communities. That effectively quintupled the amount of playtime I had on FO3. You never even had to hunt for mods that didn't break the game, both kinds were very plentiful, and the community generally trended toward keeping everything in touch with the lore (atmosphere, aesthetic style, etc).

You might download a new weapon or clothes/armor, but a good 90% of the time, you still had to find it. A lot of the modders were very clever about where they hid things, so often you would end up going to an area you had never even knew was there. It took me about 7 playthroughs to even find all major locations on the map (I still didn't take the Explorer perk until a playthrough much later than that). Sure, I repeated a good percentage of the material, but it didn't matter because you felt like a Wanderer, and doing things in a different order helped a lot.

Fallout 3 really let you fool around. It was up to you to make each time more interesting. Sticking to a different weapon, mixing up your skills to force you to play a different way, making up your own story to detail your particular motivations. Mods only made that easier (like try playing an unarmored martial artist with only spiked knuckles, or make a ninja who only used silenced weapons).

So I'm really looking forward to New Vegas. I'll likely play through it on Hardcore Vanilla the first time through, then start looking for mods to fuel my subsequent playthroughs. Too bad I'll be on a business trip on release day.

animus
Thu, 09-23-2010, 09:12 PM
Can't say I'm too excited for New Vegas, especially since Obsidian's working on it.

Kenco
Wed, 09-29-2010, 12:43 AM
Haha, I'm very excited about it but I can't devote as much time as I used to back when I was a kid in high school/undergrad. I'd be lucky if I get 3 hours during the week playing any one game.

Thus hardcore mode all the way. Why not enjoy a challenge every time I play.

I also second the modding community for FO3, some of the funnest game addons were found in them. 5x spawn plus every enemy with a super weapon and armor? Haha, first raiders came up to me with mini guns and rocket launchers in the abandoned school. Good times followed.

itadakimasu
Mon, 10-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Anybody playing it?

I got it for pc. I played it for 3-4 hours straight last night and was entertained... so I have to give it that.

No bugs or crashes...

At one point I thought to myself " wtf... they turned fallout into an FPS!!!"

It's hard for me to play the 3rd person mode so I just prefer the 1st person.

Ryllharu
Mon, 10-25-2010, 04:42 PM
I've had my fair share of bugs, 3 CTD, one stuck in rocks, NPC pathfinding issues, etc. But nothing I would regard as "critical." I keep two alternating save slots for my first character. Worst that will happen is I'll lose 5-20 minutes or so.

The bugs are annoying, and I might even give a shit if I wasn't having so much damn fun.

Playing it on Hardcore with a sneaker/sniper, mostly focusing on pistols because I haven't found a sniper rifle yet, and the pistols are actually a blast to use. Love the iron sights on all the guns too. Switch into FPS mode and pick off targets with ease. I took out 7 raiders outside of V.A.T.S. (though the kill slowdown helped) with a repeater rifle before they even had a chance to rally.

The shocking part was how completely inadequate my character became when I finally got to New Vegas. I had 80 Sneak, 80 Guns, and about 45 Survival, but no Barter or Speech skills! Suddenly I found my progress in a large number of quests getting stonewalled one after another. I had to slowly squeak to the next level and shove all my points into Speech to make any progress at all.

Fallout 3 had very little to speak of in terms of advantages in non-combat skills aside from repair. A few extra caps here, a shortcut there, an extra weapon, but nothing like this! I'm definitely going to have to roll a negotiation-focused character next time through.

The sheer amount of ways to work through parts of the game is a huge leap above Fallout 3. The engine and graphics may not have changed much, but the writing and back end of the game play sure as hell did!

DeathscytheVII
Tue, 10-26-2010, 09:31 AM
Lovin' it! I haven't been able to devote much time to it because of school and work. 3-4 hrs but I'm liking it. As for the PC version, my one complaint is that Steam lags too much. But oh well, it rocks!

Wiped out the stupid Powder Gangs, and now on my way to join Caesar's Legion. A pity that a lot of the cool characters i met so far are so anti-legionnaire ;)

Kenco
Wed, 10-27-2010, 02:28 AM
I'm playing it too, and I'm loving it. At first I had mixed feelings, but after putting in a few hours, I'm hooked.

I'm doing unarmed/melee hardcore -very hard. Haha, I found myself using small guns as back up in some fights.

itadakimasu
Wed, 10-27-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm loving it too. Had 1 CTD but that's it for bugs... How are you guys doing hardcore?! I have it on normal difficulty and I find myself getting owned pretty often and having to fast travel to heal up.

I really like it though. There is so much to do. Some of the charactors I've come across are good. Still have yet to find a companion!!!

Ryllharu
Wed, 10-27-2010, 04:30 PM
For hardcore, you just need to plan ahead. Getting into a tough fight, shoot a stimpack or eat food (if you have 40+ Survival) before things get really hairy.

Being a sneaker/sniper helps me because I usually don't put myself in direct danger, but conservative play and thoughtful planning before combat starts helps a ton. Knowing you can lob a bomb, run them back into prepared minefields, or an alpha-strike from afar can make or break combat when you're outnumbered. I used a stealthboy to get in close and drop a bomb on a clustered group when I couldn't take them out with my pistols and rifles. Another time I waited for an NCR patrol to get slaughtered when they came across a Legion encampment before going in and finishing off the remaining Legion troops with sneak attacks. That one allowed me to take no negative karma and still complete a quest. :D

Companions are also your best friends. There are some really skilled and amazing ones in this game. The sniper and a certain gunslinger especially. Some of their perks are super useful, some not at all. They seem a little smarter too, they fight to their strengths. Find one that compliments your chosen focus.

The more time I spend on the Strip, the more complicated this game gets. The writing in New Vegas really puts FO3 to complete shame. I really have no idea what I'm going to do, there are just too many choices and paths to take. I've managed to get my character into quite the conundrum.

Kenco
Thu, 10-28-2010, 03:55 AM
For hardcore, you just need to plan ahead. Getting into a tough fight, shoot a stimpack or eat food (if you have 40+ Survival) before things get really hairy.

Being a sneaker/sniper helps me because I usually don't put myself in direct danger, but conservative play and thoughtful planning before combat starts helps a ton. Knowing you can lob a bomb, run them back into prepared minefields, or an alpha-strike from afar can make or break combat when you're outnumbered. I used a stealthboy to get in close and drop a bomb on a clustered group when I couldn't take them out with my pistols and rifles. Another time I waited for an NCR patrol to get slaughtered when they came across a Legion encampment before going in and finishing off the remaining Legion troops with sneak attacks. That one allowed me to take no negative karma and still complete a quest. :D

Companions are also your best friends. There are some really skilled and amazing ones in this game. The sniper and a certain gunslinger especially. Some of their perks are super useful, some not at all. They seem a little smarter too, they fight to their strengths. Find one that compliments your chosen focus.

The more time I spend on the Strip, the more complicated this game gets. The writing in New Vegas really puts FO3 to complete shame. I really have no idea what I'm going to do, there are just too many choices and paths to take. I've managed to get my character into quite the conundrum.

I second this, companions are a life saver on Very Hard w/ hardcore mode. They take a few hits (but Oh man, Boone gets eaten alive by a pack of giant rad scorpions). All in all, you just have to be careful, watch out for mines, and have a long range and short range approach to kill everything.

Hiding/cover fire works too!

Ryllharu
Thu, 10-28-2010, 03:29 PM
Funny, I had the opposite experience.

Boone, ED-E (yay companion limit exploits!) and myself destroyed the Giant Radscorpions in that one pass where they are all clustered. In fact, I didn't really do much of anything. The two of them slaughtered them before I could even bring up V.A.T.S. the majority of the time.

I'm playing Normal and not Very Hard, so maybe that's the difference.

Lucifus
Thu, 10-28-2010, 07:40 PM
I just got boone to join me......just wow.

Despite knowing what was going to happen, I still wasn't prepared for it. xD

Kenco
Fri, 10-29-2010, 04:00 AM
Funny, I had the opposite experience.

Boone, ED-E (yay companion limit exploits!) and myself destroyed the Giant Radscorpions in that one pass where they are all clustered. In fact, I didn't really do much of anything. The two of them slaughtered them before I could even bring up V.A.T.S. the majority of the time.

I'm playing Normal and not Very Hard, so maybe that's the difference.

Oh on VHHC they can handle a rad scorpion, but not 5. Haha, I learned that the hard way.

itadakimasu
Fri, 10-29-2010, 09:34 AM
I finally found a companion yesterday : Raul. Had lots of fun w\ him raping people w\ a super sledge. Currently he's got metal armor and a chainsaw :)

The most fun I've probably had so far in the game was when I went to this town where previously some thugs had attacked me....

I was just walking around and all of a sudden Raul starts chasing these people around w\ his chainsaw lol

TwisT
Fri, 10-29-2010, 04:14 PM
I haven't been able to play that much and when i do i explore and sidetrack a lot so haven't gotten tot he strip yet. Think i have reached Novac and sent away the Ghouls. Have Raul and ED-E as companions.

3 questions about companions though. First, how many can you have? 2? 3? Or just 1 + ED-E? Saw Ryll mention something about an exploit which led me to believe that it might just be a 1 companion limit but you can have 2 if you count ED-E. Picked up ED-E first and then found Raul. Didn't pick Boone because i thought it was a limit of 1 and i already had ED-E but with Raul he insisted so badly i couldn't turn him down.

Second, is there a limit at how much a companion can carry? Because it seems ED-E don't have a limit or it's very high. have packed him with tons of stuff. That's why i can't get rid of him, because i never have to go back to town. Can just loot everything of worth everywhere and just pack it in ED-E. So money isn't really an issue for me. So do human companions have a limit or are they able to carry as much as ED-E?

Third, can human companions die? Ed-E don't seem to be able to. Only get's knocked unconscious and once the fight is over he gets back up again. This got me wondering
Boone gets eaten alive by a pack of giant rad scorpions or was that just another way of saying he got raped?

Another question. Have anyone found Brotherhood of Steel? I found 2 of their armors and wants the skill to use them badly but it requires you to find someone to that can teach you to use it, which I'm guessing is BoS themselves.

As for what i play, i play in normal or hard (dont really remember which i picked) and i specialize in speech, lockpicking, science. Also have repair quite high. I usually when i level put 5 points in speech, then 5 point in whatever i need to do something specific that i really wanna do or need, or i just put it in lockpicking, and then the last point i put in sneak. It feels like i sneak everywhere. Almost always in every game where speech is something yo can level i usually go for that as my main objective. And picked lockpicking and science to get access to places to get nice loot and find secrets.

Also seems like i have a quest to return ED-E home, but when i get the scrapyard there is no option to return her. Now since i found out he basically have an unlimited storage and the heightened senses perk i will never return him even if i could. But have anyone else come across this?

Ryllharu
Fri, 10-29-2010, 04:25 PM
The companion exploit seems to occur because you already have one companion, and then complete a quest to earn another. As in, I built ED-E back together, and then got Boone's done. But after that, you're done. I tried to build an army by recruiting Veronica, but they wouldn't let her join because I already had a companion. I liked Boone and ED-E though, so I skipped her. A second time it happened, I needed Rex, so I had to drop both Boone and ED-E. Then later I acquired Cass through her mini-quest, and had two again (Rex and Cass). I had to let them both go in order to recruit Veronica.

I think it only works one time, and only when you already have a buddy and acquire another, but only through quests, not voluntarily like Veronica.

---------------------------

ED-E dies. I lost him (and had to reload) a half-dozen times during one quest because he kept getting mobbed.

I have found the BoS, and they're not too hard to get to, but I don't really want to ruin it for you. I will say that it is super easy once you have the right companion, and know where to go. Getting the ability to use armor? I haven't figured that out yet, but it should just be a matter of doing their quests. They're very close to Novac.
(Hint: It is one of the companions I mentioned above)

ED-E needs some kind of Enclave code words, and you hear the first data set inside the scrapyard, but I don't know where to go after that.

TwisT
Sat, 10-30-2010, 10:00 AM
I see. Well i ahve completed Boone's quest but turned him down. You think he will still go with me as my second companion if i get Veronica first (finally met her). Well either way i guess i have to get her so i guess i will find out. Don't have to the time to try it out now though. Will miss ED-E's sensor ability though since it made me able to see people on the compass further away then they could spawn on my screen, and it made stealth targets targetable with V.A.T.S

I think i know where BoS is now too. See mentioned Bunkers and holes in the ground, and there is a field with bunkers that i went trough to get to the fallen BoS soldiers that i got the armors from. And in all bunkers that i explored, one had a locked door that required 100 lockpicking to open.

One thing though. When i give a companion that uses a range weapon another range weapon in his inventory he doesn't use it. How does that work. Can i somehow make them use a different one? And even if not, will a companion that uses melee switch to my given range weapon if i switch her to range? And if so, do companions require ammo, or could i simply give Veronica my minigun (which don't have any ammo) or my sniper rifle without sacrificing my own ammo which is low?

And does your ED-E die right away of have they ever been knocked unconscious? Because i jumped down a cliff, and Raul came after me just fine, but ED-E took the longest way around and ran in to a fire gecko that knocked ED-E unconscious 4 times before i found him and killed the gecko. If your's die right away i guess it's safe to assume on my difficulty they don't die. Which i thank whoever deserves my thanks, because there is nothing more infuriating then having to reload because your companion can't handle himself or is just plain stupid.

Ryllharu
Sat, 10-30-2010, 11:01 AM
One thing though. When i give a companion that uses a range weapon another range weapon in his inventory he doesn't use it. How does that work. Can i somehow make them use a different one? And even if not, will a companion that uses melee switch to my given range weapon if i switch her to range? And if so, do companions require ammo, or could i simply give Veronica my minigun (which don't have any ammo) or my sniper rifle without sacrificing my own ammo which is low?Companions will always use the best weapon in their inventory for each ranged or melee. I think they also account for condition (in FO3 their weapons and armor didn't degrade no matter how much they got abused, not sure if they degrade in NV). In NV, condition matters quite a bit more (preventing jamming and not punching through damage thresholds), so that might also be part of the problem.

However, any ranged weapon other than their default also requires ammo, which they do consume. Sometimes they'll switch weapons when you drop them ammo for it.

itadakimasu
Mon, 11-01-2010, 10:49 AM
I haven't confirmed this, but I think you can swap companions as you wish.

I dropped Raul so that I could get Cassidy and Raul just went back to the lucky 38... but I guess you probably have to have been there for this to happen. I haven't gone back to see if I can just get him back if I wanted him.

Ryllharu
Mon, 11-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I swap them all the time. Except they don't go to the Lucky 38, they go home. I'm spurning Mr. House while hanging on to the Platinum Chip, he gets a little pissy about it when I talk to him from time to time.

TwisT
Tue, 11-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Yea Raul went back to his shack (Raul's shack) which is close to Nellis Air Force Base.

And i found a bug in the Brotherhood of Steel quest line. There is a Scribe there that needs help with the bunkers computersystem. There is a virus that jumps between the computers and you have to find it on 3 of the 12 computers in 30sec. If you have Science skill of 70 or higher, you get an extra option which allows you to once you find a virus, lock it to that terminal, so the next time you start it it will always be there. Well if you manage to lock 2 of the 3 and start it with only 1 left to lock down, it will get stuck and be unable to complete. What you need to do is to save the game before. Easiest way to do this quest is to start it and when he tells you that the virus jumped you save the game. Now they have a fixed position. Just find them, and when the time runs out you reload until you have found all 3 and then just complete it. I managed to get the quest to get bugged and had to reload. Luckily i have autosave enabled so i only needed to reload from when i entered lvl2.

And i was unable to get both Veronica and Boone. Once i had Veronica, Boone didn't wanna join up. Maybe if i had her when i finished Boone's quest line, but not going back later. Also Veronica is so freaking awesome. Even though she is a melee she kicks ass with the default gun of hers. And she kicks as much ass with melee. Also since she is a BoS member, she can wear BoS power armor. I tried to give it to Raul before (just to carry it since it was so heavy) and it said that companions cant wear reputation armors. So that makes Veronica the only companion capable of using BoS power armor. She is a fucking tank. She can take on 5-10 guys and rarely gets knocked out. Raul (with metal armor) and ED-E got knocked out against only 1-3 that hit hard a few times.

Also if anyone is interested in a great energy weapon, i found one in the REPCONN facility on the way to the Strip. There is a room right before the stairs to the second floor that require either 100 Science or 100 Lockpicking (i think it was Very Hard at least). In there is a prototype plasma weapon that does a lot more damage then the regular plasma rifles. It uses the same ammo as Laser Rifles. There is also ammo laying everywhere for it. Both in the same room and a room on the same floor. Had over 1000 MF cells after i finished looting this building. I have 40 in Energy Weapons and like 15 in Guns, but i still found the Cowboy Repeater to do much more damage then my Laser/plasma pistol/rifle. Had to get 3-4 mods for my Laser Rifle before it started to even get close. Until i found this. Finally energy pays of.

Ryllharu
Tue, 11-02-2010, 07:46 PM
My only issue with Veronica is that she sucks at sneaking. Since that's my primary mode of killing, it can be a huge hazard. I had to force her back using companion commands three or four times in a row so she would stop creeping up on the Legendary Deathclaw which always slaughtered her. I managed to kill the bastard after a dozen reloads (the thing has unbelievable senses).

You bet I have her wearing BoS Power Armor.

I am a slaughterer of all Deathclaws (provided I see them first!). They're still much, much harder than they were in FO3. A headshot with a .308 sniper rifle on a sneak attack critical is the only thing that can take them out easily on one shot. On Alpha-Males, Mothers and Legendary Deathclaws, it can take 2-4 shots from the rifle. Everywhere else their high DT keeps them going. In FO3 you could easily cripple their legs and then just whittle them down with your ranged weapon of choice. Not in New Vegas...

I don't know, I had something like 17 science at the time, and I managed to do that virus sub-quest in the first try. Lucky I guess.

TwisT
Tue, 11-02-2010, 08:35 PM
When i read on how to fix the bug, i read that some people that didn't have 70 in science spent over 40min until they got all 3. So yeah lucky ^^

Since you're a sneaky bastard, have you tried stealing the power armor that's in Hardrins room? The other kind of power armor that the elite guards have. I have the urge to swipe it. Maybe try and save it before.

And speaking of stealing. What does Karma do? You lose it when you steal. But i can't really find anything that it affects. Will people start to hate you if it gets to low or something? Since you lose it i almost never steal even though i want to. Only takes things that feel like it's worth it. And i rarely steal from groups I'm friendly with.

Ryllharu
Wed, 11-03-2010, 04:07 AM
Since you're a sneaky bastard, have you tried stealing the power armor that's in Hardrins room? The other kind of power armor that the elite guards have. I have the urge to swipe it. Maybe try and save it before.I probably should for Veronica, but the thought never occurred to me because I never wear anything better than light armor. Good idea.

And speaking of stealing. What does Karma do? You lose it when you steal. But i can't really find anything that it affects. Will people start to hate you if it gets to low or something? Since you lose it i almost never steal even though i want to. Only takes things that feel like it's worth it. And i rarely steal from groups I'm friendly with.
It lowers your karma, but never on a remotely substantial level. Maybe if you get caught, but I never steal within eyesight, even when I'm hidden (I do pickpocket for every key I can get my hands on, that let me sweep through the Strip casino quests). It doesn't even compare to killing someone at random or completing a quest in an evil manner. I'm still considered of saintly general demeanor.

Genma
Thu, 11-04-2010, 07:41 PM
God, I wish this game came out before Fallout 3. It's got so much in common with the first Fallouts that every little reference to the prior games gives me nostalgia.

Sadly... it's an Obsidian game. Meaning it's pretty much a full game mod. I honestly expected this (after playing Kotor2), but I still bought the game regardless. I was holding out for a while, but in the end I just couldn't resist. I've been a Fallout fan since the age of 10 when I first got my hands on a copy of Fallout 2, 12 or so years ago. Since that time I've played the original at least a dozen times, the sequel countless times (I've yet to beat it -- fuckin' Frank Horrigan and his turrets), and I've put over a hundred hours into Fallout 3.

Still, I'm enjoying this game immensely. Glad I put my hatred for Obsidian aside and bought it.

Ryllharu
Sun, 11-07-2010, 07:30 AM
Finished it!

Not everything turned out the way I wanted, and I certainly didn't do everything, but I beat it with the, "Wild Card / No God, No Masters" ending on Hardcore. 37 hours, level 27, mostly sneaker/sniper with constantly improving Speech toward the end. I favored pistols most of the game, until I got the sniper rifle and anti-material rifle.

Excellent game. Time to start all over, maybe work a few of the kinks out. Eventually I'm going to try for a pacifist run, Fallout 1/2 style.

darkshadow
Sun, 11-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Someone already finished a pacifist run apparantly. Took him 50 hours.

TwisT
Sun, 11-07-2010, 03:39 PM
I still haven't made it to the strip yet O_o

Keep getting sidetracked by all these places to explore. Got the Explorer perk and now i just wanna run to every place on the map.

I finished BoS quest line it would seem. Hardin said that i should come back in a few days for the changes to be made so have to wait and see what happens. i have the feeling i will never be able to wear BoS power armor though. Oh and i went to the quarry junction or whatever the name was (near Sloan), and damn those Deathclaws are crazy. How in the hell are you supposed to beat them. Came 3 at me right away and downed Veronica in like 1-3 hits then me in 6 (managed to heal me after the first 3). It's like mission impossible.

And just to enlighten me, what is a pacifist run? To not hurt anyone?

Ryllharu
Sun, 11-07-2010, 05:11 PM
In Fallout 1/2 you could beat the game without killing anyone. At all. In NV, this includes your companions doing the dirty work since their kills count toward your total. That's what a pacifist run is. It's very possible, but also very difficult. I don't know if abominations (deathclaws) or monsters (ants) count, I'm guessing not.

@DS: That's what inspired me to want to do it. A challenge!

As for the Sloan Deathclaws, see this above post (http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?p=476527&postcount=33). It did manage it, but it took a .308 sniper rifle, 100 sneak, 100 guns, a pair of stealth boys, and a lot of quicksaves. You must shoot them in the head, and you have to take them down one at a time. Every time I aggro'ed another nearby one, Veronica and I both got slaughtered in seconds.

I bet you could do it pretty easily if you had high explosives. Then you'd have a good chance to cripple their legs. You just might have to have then run through a minefield.

I went back time and time again to the BoS and the two of them both said the same thing over and over. I bet mine got a little bugged. That was one of the things I wasn't too happy with the way it turned out.

Ryllharu
Fri, 11-26-2010, 08:41 AM
Well, it has been about a month now, and I think I have to say I enjoyed Fallout 3 more than New Vegas. The story and complexity is worlds better in NV, from Hardcore Mode to weapon mods, speech/barter challenges, ways to finish each quest that differ from the simple Good/Evil choices...but despite all that, what NV really suffers from is the Wasteland.

Aside from New Vegas itself and the two primary military bases (NCR and Nellis), there really isn't all that much to do. It seemed overwhelming my first time through, but I'm seeing more of it now. You go to a town like Novac and there are three sidequests, you go to the NCR Mojave Outpost are there are two. You start in Goodsprings and there is one. It really makes you appreciate having to go back to Moira in Megaton nine times to complete the Wasteland Survival Guide, or getting creepy stalker love letters sent from Mister Burke at the bar. They were small things, but it made Megaton still feel alive after you had moved on to the greater Capital Wasteland, not frozen in time like Goodsprings and Primm are.

It would be nice to have a reason to come back to these places once in a while besides dropping your loot off and going to the doctor.

But the biggest problem is that there is almost nothing to find in the Wasteland between these cities and towns. Ooo, I found another abandoned shack with a single stimpack and 12 9mm rounds. But this time there were molerats outside instead of Cazadors!

I found something new every time I randomly roamed the Wasteland in FO3. A few times I found entire new areas in the maze of sewers and metro stations. That has been happening to a limited extent in NV, but it isn't anywhere near as exciting. Despite the new freedom of finishing a quest 4 different ways, the game feels so more structured. There were dozens of unnamed quests in FO3 you pretty much wrote your own story for, in NV you find mostly bones and empty boxes.

The fact of the matter is there isn't really anything going on in the Mojave Wasteland. No huge battle between Supermutants and mercenaries, no lone Enclave guy taking potshots at radroaches, just the occasional NCR patrol getting ambushed by Nightstalkers and one disguised Legionnaire attacking some random guy.

Despite all the radscorpions and geckos that keep attacking me, the Mojave wasteland seems so...lifeless.

--------------------------
And Boone is totally overpowered. He's so good the game isn't even fun. Cass is a bitch, I need how much speech or barter to get you up off your drunk mopey ass? That's despite you being critical to another quest line. Gannon is even worse, 75 speech!

Genma
Mon, 11-29-2010, 03:14 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who enjoyed FO3 more than New Vegas.

Don't get me wrong, NV is entertaining in its own right, but even now, 200 hours of playtime later, I still have more fun playing Fallout 3.

Saturday night I was over at a friend's house, and I'd given him my copy of Fallout 3 some time ago. He couldn't find GNR because he blew up Megaton before talking to Colin, so I was helping him out. Everything about the game seemed better, and I played for an hour, encountering a three-way battle between Raiders, Super Mutants and Outcasts, as well as discovering a brand new building I'd never seen despite playing the game for such a long time.

Naturally when I came home today I felt an urge to play some Fallout, so I popped in New Vegas. Just turned it off after about fifteen minutes.

Invisible walls above mountains and the inability to zoom all the way out in first person (360player) made me frustrated instantly. Why add those detrimental features? I don't get it.

I got bored pretty quickly after that, and I agree with pretty much all the points you've made Ryllharu. Only one I disagree with is the story; Fallout 3's blew hard. It was basically a rehash of Fallout 2, except instead of saving your village with the GECK, you were saving a city.

"I think the idea of having a protagonist on the east coast leave a vault to look for his dad (who happens to be Quai Gon-Jin, sweet) is better than some indian dude looking for a ridiculously unrealistic item." -- Excerpt from a blog post I wrote about a year before Fallout 3's release. Oh how little I knew. -_-

Anyways... I might give it another go in the future, but for now New Vegas will be collecting dust.

Ryllharu
Mon, 11-29-2010, 05:35 PM
I got bored pretty quickly after that, and I agree with pretty much all the points you've made Ryllharu. Only one I disagree with is the story; Fallout 3's blew hard. It was basically a rehash of Fallout 2, except instead of saving your village with the GECK, you were saving a city.
No, by all means the story in New Vegas is a ton better. I even said as much.

The story and complexity is worlds better in NV, ... ways to finish each quest that differ from the simple Good/Evil choices...but despite all that, what NV really suffers from is the Wasteland.It's just that the exploration isn't really as much fun. That's really been the best part of the Fallouts for me. The main story in FO3 was silly, but the side stories were pretty good and the expansions were great, Point Lookout especially so. The main story in NV is a blast, and some of the side stories are fun, but not nearly as memorable (Return to Sender is good, and a few others).

I've slapped in a few more mods since that post (read: occasional fan-patch) and it's still fun, just not as fun as fooling around in the Wasteland of FO3.

darkshadow
Tue, 11-30-2010, 07:28 AM
The exploration isn't as fun....does that mean you can't skip things either?
Cause in all of my 80 hours in FO3, I've never set foot in GNR, I knew I had to go there, but I just got sidetracked wandering around doing other stuff.
And then suddenly I arrived at the boatcity somehow (=O) and just completed the GNR quest indirectly.....so yeah I never even met three-dog <,<.

Ryllharu
Tue, 11-30-2010, 04:57 PM
It's not like temporary invisible walls bad or "omg we'll clear this rockslide once we get the [mystical dynamite]" bad, but they do attempt to lock you into one direction at the beginning of the game. Some mountains near the edges of the map look climbable but do have invisible walls, that's a separate issue that FO3 had too.

In NV, you start in Goodsprings, halfway up the map and most of the the way West. They tell you to loop around by going South, East, and then back North to get to New Vegas. They enforce this by surrounding the area North of Goodsprings with huge masses of three of the deadliest enemy types in the game (Deathclaws on the Northern road, poisonous Cazadores to the NW of Goodsprings, and Giant Radscorpions due East of Goodsprings). One of the NPCs actually says that you'd have to be the biggest badass ever to get through the Deathclaws.

So it's not impossible to go straight North to New Vegas, but they make it really, really, hard on you at the single digit levels.

The high level critters scattered in all the shortcuts make it tough to explore at low levels. There is a slight charm to that too, making the Mojave feel quite deadly to the unprepared, but it's kind of a drag.

darkshadow
Tue, 11-30-2010, 06:10 PM
That's a shame, kinda like fallout 2 I guess.
FO3 only had creatures like yao guai in abundance when you reached a certain level, and in some specific areas, kind of weaksauce they put high level creatures around stuff as an artificial barrier in NV then ;[.

Dark Dragon
Tue, 11-30-2010, 07:11 PM
I think the placement of things in NV is also not as good as FO3. When i was playing FO3 i keep finding new quests or places to explore when i try to do the main quest. Just following the broken roads often lead you to places like the Nuka Cola plant.

In my time playing NV so far, i haven't really diverge from the main path and it seems like i have to purposely want to explore in order to find stuff. My favorite thing about FO3 was randomly finishing objectives or finding item for quests i didn't even know about.