PDA

View Full Version : TV: Boardwalk Empire

Munsu
Sat, 09-18-2010, 10:30 AM
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/7672/boardwalk20empire.png

New show starting in HBO tomorrow, and it looks like it'll be a good one. Hell it has Steve Buscemi starring in it, instant win.

It comes from the Sopranos' writer and it's being directed by Martin Scorsese (onlythe pilot I think).

Here's a promo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB3z0HmVeW0

http://www.hbo.com/boardwalk-empire/index.html

Ryllharu
Mon, 09-20-2010, 07:29 PM
Great start. I'm confused as all get out figuring out the names, who's working for who, and who is double-crossing who already, but they got the atmosphere and aesthetic of the 20s down.

The first episode has a ton of stuff going on, but so far, I'm liking all of it. Nice Capone cameo too.

Pandadice
Sun, 09-26-2010, 03:52 AM
I watched the first ep cause I saw Scorsese and HBO and thought why not. But about 1/3rd into the episode I realized it isn't a new Treme...

Did you guys think there was something really weird with Steve Buscemi? I can't really put me finger on it, but pretty much every scene with him stood out to me like a sore thumb.. He had this really laid back and natural thing going. Like, he just seemed like a regular dude, while everyone else seemed really uptight and serious (the kind of acting i expected I guess). I dunno, I just don't think his flow matched with what was happening in the episode.

Also it just had so many weird parts. Like when he stares at the baby shop for a full minute and there's that strange music playing. Or when the chick locks herself in the bathroom and they spend all that time banging on the door only for it to cut away to the next scene.

The Capone cameo seemed so forced and cheesy. It's like "how can we make this more prohibition-era? oh right, throw in Al Capone."

And then that angsty war kid.. I didn't like his character at all. It was like Jack from the Newsies, only I thought this guys acting was worse..

I dunno, overall I wasn't impressed, or at least not interested. I thought I'd find me a time passer until Treme starts back in the Spring, but I don't think this is gonna be it. I don't think I'm gonna continue watching.

Munsu
Sun, 09-26-2010, 06:57 AM
What's the problem with Al Capone being there? One of the biggest if not the biggest mobsters in the era... AND he and Enoch actually knew each other:
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/7858/unkcaponejohnson1929o.jpg

Though I won't attest on how he came about showing up, it might have looked forced as you say, but I think Capone has a place in the story regardless. I mean, how can you not give him a place? I'm sure he's not the only mob head who will show up.

Munsu
Fri, 10-01-2010, 12:17 AM
Just watched the first episode, and enjoyed it. A little slow to get going, but really enjoyed the 2nd half.

I had no problem with how Al Capone was used, considering that the Chicago heads were there, Torrio was there (Al Capone is his 2nd) and of course, the killing of Colosimo. In that regard, there's no reason to feel that Al Capone was just forced in there. So we got Torrio taking over Chicago and Capone will be there to help him.

Buscemi needs to step it up a bit I think though.

Ryllharu
Sat, 10-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Buscemi needs to step it up a bit I think though.
I like the way Buscemi has been portraying Nucky. He's not really a physically imposing guy, but it really displays his power when everyone just simply obeys him. It is a nice contrast to Capone. Nucky just gets a little angry, and suddenly people start backing down. So Buscemi just adds a little intensity to show that off. Nucky is such a nice and beloved guy in front of everyone around him that when he does get stern, you get the feeling that behind that face he's truly enraged. Rothstein (the card cheat) is the same way. They don't have to do their own dirty work, others gladly do it for them.

It's a bit more evident in the second episode. Actually shown in a variety of ways, but I won't spoil it with specifics if you haven't watched that one yet.

Sapphire
Sat, 10-02-2010, 12:55 PM
I love this show. The car driver is hot and there's hot scenes EVERYWHERE. Glad to know that the 20s weren't a prude as everyone tries to make them seem. Why do people get more prude as they get older? I digess.

Damn that go-go dancer was all up in the car drivers business. Her name is Ma? Edit: She IS his Ma?! Anyway, great episode. I have Mad Men for the 50s and Boardwalk for the 20s. :D

And of course they were even worse to black people in the 20s! Damn, that maid/women's vote scene made me cringe.

Ryllharu
Sat, 10-02-2010, 01:45 PM
I love this show. The car driver is hot and there's hot scenes EVERYWHERE. Glad to know that the 20s weren't a prude as everyone tries to make them seem.

And of course they were even worse to black people in the 20s! Damn, that maid/women's vote scene made me cringe.
Eh? Ever hear of the "Roaring Twenties (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roaring_20s#Culture)"? The whole point was to break away from the prudish aspects of the Victorian Era. Flappers, Cabarets, dance clubs, Modernist literature, increasing respect for women, etc.

Yeah, though tolerances increased slowly. They made a point to mention outright that in contrast to the Commodore, Nucky is very friendly towards black people. The historical one was too.

Concerning the suffrage part of that scene, the Commodore wasn't making a point about the maid shouldn't vote because she was black, he was making a point that she shouldn't vote because she was a woman. He was saying that women don't pay attention to politics, which is why they don't deserve it.

Sapphire
Sat, 10-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Yeah I know, but I still feel like she wouldn't have been talked to like that if she was white.

I have heard of the Roaring Twenties, but seeing it is so much different from hearing it! That's why I love these shows. Other than the maid scene, It's not as shocking as Mad Men was, though.

Oh, and the 19 year old part was very funny. She kept saying "I'm not that type of girl!" and then proceeds to jerk him off like a pro. And of course being a gold digger wasn't a big deal in those ages so she got off scot-free for so long without even a kiss.

And I really love Ma (not ma) (or whatever her name is).
Ma or whoever: I wasn't screaming! We were fucking! Fucking! *hand motions*

Munsu
Sun, 10-03-2010, 01:17 PM
I like the way Buscemi has been portraying Nucky. He's not really a physically imposing guy, but it really displays his power when everyone just simply obeys him. It is a nice contrast to Capone. Nucky just gets a little angry, and suddenly people start backing down. So Buscemi just adds a little intensity to show that off. Nucky is such a nice and beloved guy in front of everyone around him that when he does get stern, you get the feeling that behind that face he's truly enraged. Rothstein (the card cheat) is the same way. They don't have to do their own dirty work, others gladly do it for them.

Haven't seen the 2nd episode yet, and I don't mind the physically imposing aspect. I just thought his portrayal was a bit weaker than what I expected from him, and it suffered in various scenes. It was better in the 2nd half of the episode though. It was something on his line deliveries that wasn't working for me. I'm sure it'll improve as the series goes along and the show gets into a better rhythm.

Will watch the 2nd episode soon. Maybe I'll wait and watch it together with episode 3.

Sapphire
Sun, 10-03-2010, 11:14 PM
OMAR IS IN BOARDWALK EMPIRE! FUCK YEAH!

Munsu
Mon, 10-04-2010, 09:31 AM
OMAR IS IN BOARDWALK EMPIRE! FUCK YEAH!

Omar from The Wire? That would be awesome.

Sapphire
Fri, 10-08-2010, 12:57 AM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!1

*****SPOILER****
He calls Buscemi a motherfucker before it's even cool.