PDA

View Full Version : TV: Untitled Queen (Freddy Mercury) Movie

Munsu
Fri, 09-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Sacha Baron Cohen (Borat) has been casted to play Freddy Mercury in this yet to be titled movie. I think it's quite an awesome choice.
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Baron-Cohen-Mercury-Queen-1023201.aspx

Sacha Baron Cohen is going from Borat to "Bohemian Rhapsody."

The comedian is set to play Freddie Mercury in a biopic about the iconic Queen frontman, GK Films announced Friday.

Check out photos of Freddie Mercury

Currently untitled, the film will chronicle the group's early years, culminating with its historic performance at Live Aid in 1985. Mercury died in 1991 of AIDS.

Oscar-nominated screenwriter Peter Morgan (The Queen, Frost/Nixon) will pen the screenplay. GK Films is producing alongside Robert De Niro's Tribeca Productions and Queen Films.

"Queen is one of the greatest rock bands of all time, and a music brand all unto itself. Freddie Mercury was an awe-inspiring performer, so with Sacha in the starring role coupled with Peter's screenplay and the support of Queen, we have the perfect combination to tell the real story behind their success," GK Films' Graham King said in a statement.

Rights to Queen tunes, such as "Another One Bites the Dust," "Bohemian Rhapsody," "We Are the Champions" and "We Will Rock You," have been secured for the film, which begins production next year.

Watch Queen music videos

It is unclear if Baron Cohen will do his own singing in the film or if Mercury's vocals will be used. The Bruno star showed off his vocal chops in Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.

What do you think of Baron Cohen's casting? At least we know he can rock some serious spandex, right?

The Heretic Azazel
Fri, 09-17-2010, 03:16 PM
Come to think of it, on looks alone Cohen looks a lot like Freddie, but has he ever had any serious roles?

XanBcoo
Fri, 09-17-2010, 07:03 PM
This is the Live Aid '85 show they are referring to. It's worth watching regardless of this biopic since the "Radio Gaga" performance (2:40 onwards) is truly an epic event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDckgX3oU_w

And I never use the word "epic".

I hope this does get made. Queen is responsible for my initiation into the world of music.

Munsu
Sat, 09-18-2010, 08:16 AM
This is the Live Aid '85 show they are referring to. It's worth watching regardless of this biopic since the "Radio Gaga" performance (2:40 onwards) is truly an epic event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDckgX3oU_w

And I never use the word "epic".

I hope this does get made. Queen is responsible for my initiation into the world of music.

Yeah, that Radio Gaga performance was awesome. A friend of mine had the concert on DVD while on a trip, so I saw it about a dozen times.

Not sure if has done serious roles, but as mentioned he was in the movie Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street and sang in there, anyone seen it? Plus, I think the way he acts his funny roles lend themselves for serious acting, since he doesn't rely on being funny... just in his character being awkward, and he sticks to his role regardless of the situation.

Will certainly be interested in seeing how he handles this. Only thing I'd be worried about would be the emotional scenes, but we'll see.