PDA

View Full Version : TV: The Walking Dead

Pages : [1] 2

Munsu
Mon, 09-13-2010, 09:32 AM
http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/8135/walking20dead.jpg

Mini-series starting at the end of October based on a graphic novel of the same name airing on AMC. Hearing good things about this one, and the trailer looks pretty awesome I think.

Heard rumors of a possibility of this being extended beyond the planned mini-series. Anyone heard anything about this?

Though I don't watch any of the shows on AMC at the moment, I really like how they're building up their programming... Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Rubicon, and now this.

Here's the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg46DWI_fCE

AMC Upcoming Original Series: The Walking Dead
AMC has greenlit The Walking Dead as a six-episode series based on the comic book written by Robert Kirkman and published by Image Comics. The Walking Dead tells the story of life following a zombie apocalypse. It follows a group of survivors, led by police officer Rick Grimes, traveling in search of a safe and secure home. Andrew Lincoln (Love Actually, Teachers, Strike Back) will portray the lead role of Rick Grimes while actor Jon Bernthal (The Pacific, The Ghost Writer) will portray the character Shane, who worked with Rick in the police department before the zombie disaster. Other cast includes Laurie Holden (The Shield), who plays Andrea, one of two sisters who join the survivors of the zombie plague, Steven Yeun as Glenn, an expert scavenger and Sarah Wayne Callies (Prison Break), who plays Rick's wife Lori.

The Walking Dead begins production in June in Atlanta with six, one-hour episodes for season one. The series is set to premiere in October 2010 during AMC Fearfest, the network's annual blockbuster marathon of thriller and horror films. AMC announced development of The Walking Dead in August 2009 and announced the pilot in January of this year.

About the Producers
Robert Kirkman serves as an executive producer on the project and three-time Academy Award-nominee Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile) serves as writer, director and executive producer. Gale Anne Hurd (The Terminator, Aliens, Armageddon, The Incredible Hulk), chairman of Valhalla Motion Pictures, serves as Executive Producer. David Alpert from Circle of Confusion serves as Executive Producer. Charles “Chic” Eglee (Dexter, The Shield, Dark Angel) will also serve as Executive Producer, and Jack LoGiudice (Sons of Anarchy, Resurrection Blvd) will serve as Co-Executive Producer.

"AMC strives to make original shows that play like movies and The Walking Dead is a perfect complement to the network’s celebrated movie franchise, Fearfest, which has always been an important destination for our audience," said Charlie Collier, AMC President. "With its depth of story and the remarkable talent attached, The Walking Dead gives us an opportunity to raise the bar significantly within this popular genre, and continue our commitment to being the home of premium programming on basic cable."

"The Walking Dead is that rare piece of material that plays on many levels," says Joel Stillerman, Senior Vice President of Programming, Production and Digital Content. "Kirkman's series brilliantly captures the social commentary and ongoing human drama of the zombie apocalypse; and let's us kick a little zombie you-know-what from time to time."
http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead/

Penner
Mon, 09-13-2010, 03:53 PM
I've been keeping an eye on this and it looks pretty fucking sweet from what i've seen so far!

Munsu
Mon, 11-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Anyone watch it by any chance? The show had very good ratings for an AMC show, so so far so good.

I don't know if I'll be able to watch it this week, but it seems like it'll be worth giving it a shot.

Penner
Tue, 11-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Watched it and loved it, i really hope it gets extended!

By the way, it has 9.5/10 (2,541 votes) on IMDB, which is pretty fucking high :D

Assassin
Wed, 11-03-2010, 07:47 PM
i heard on the radio it had the highest rated pilot or something like that.....beat out the record set by Mad Men

poopdeville
Wed, 11-03-2010, 11:07 PM
I watched it today. It was good.

oyabun
Thu, 11-04-2010, 10:43 PM
When will the 2nd one air? What I like about this series is how the zombies are not crazy fast like the ones we are seeing in the recent movies. They suck when they are few but crazy dangerous when in a group. Good show.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-05-2010, 12:09 AM
When will the 2nd one air? What I like about this series is how the zombies are not crazy fast like the ones we are seeing in the recent movies. They suck when they are few but crazy dangerous when in a group. Good show.

What I liked is that they've still got some basic level of intelligence and show expressions on their faces. It makes them appear more like creatures and less like walking, infectious target practice.

It's kinda weird now they can sleep though. That's almost "too" human.

oyabun
Fri, 11-05-2010, 04:30 AM
Yes I agree, specially when the wife always comes to the house to torment them.

Psyke
Fri, 11-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Just watched it and I like the tank scene. :)

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Yes I agree, specially when the wife always comes to the house to torment them.

That guy shouldn't have forgotten his wife's face, and there shouldn't be a need for pinning her picture against the window save for a "sniper" effect.

Other weird points:

-Should the police armoury be that equipped? You'd think the police would have raided it already, just like the main char did.

-In the time it took those flowers to wither, he should have died from dehydration.

But anyhow, it didn't distract me from watching it at all. I too loved the "Hey dumbass.. you in the tank." :)

UChessmaster
Fri, 11-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Pretty good Pilot episode overall, finally a zombie series, should be pretty insightful by the time Z day inevitably comes, very faithful to the source material too, i like. :D

Although i can`t help but feel it`s a bit silly that in every zombie thing everything must be written on the walls... in huge font... in caps... with blood...

KitKat
Sat, 11-06-2010, 12:23 AM
I checked this out at the recommendation of my coworkers. I actually really love zombie shows. The plot of the pilot seemed to be something along the lines of 28 Days Later meets Pearl Harbor. Anyhow, I was entertained. Bring on episode 2!

Death13a
Mon, 11-08-2010, 10:28 PM
episode 2: Zombies at least can use rocks, climb ladders, use door knobs, see, hear and smell; they just slightly dumber than monkeys. Great episode can't wait for more

Buffalobiian
Mon, 11-08-2010, 10:37 PM
episode 2: Zombies at least can use rocks, climb ladders, use door knobs, see, hear and smell; they just slightly dumber than monkeys. Great episode can't wait for more

Can they climb ladders? I know one of them tried and probably got on a rung or two, but I doubt they can climb one.

They seem fairly fast, too. Not frenzy fast, but you'd have to sprint if you want to outrun them.

I loved the part where Glen Grrrr!!!-ed back at the zombie.

The dialogue in this show fluctuates between cool and lame.

"We need more guts" -Splatt!! was one of the cool ones. :D

Munsu
Mon, 11-08-2010, 10:40 PM
Renewed for second season:
http://tv.ign.com/articles/113/1133012p1.html

Penner
Wed, 11-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Ohoo second season, fuck yeah!

Buffalobiian
Tue, 11-16-2010, 08:40 AM
What happened to Mural was pretty much expected. I didn't think the camp was so big though, and along with it so much social disfunction. Makes sense how a guy like Mural Dickson wasn't exiled long ago - he's not the only one, just the worst.

I don't mind his brother though. Bit of a nasty hot-head, but otherwise ain't bad.

KitKat
Thu, 11-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Sawing off one's own hand... gruesome...

I was also quite surprised at all the social disfunction, though it makes sense that in a zombie apocalypse a large portion of the survivors would be the paranoid xenophobic violent types. They're good at self-preservation, but not so awesome as part of a fledgling community.

Psyke
Sat, 11-20-2010, 06:31 AM
Isn't it simpler to saw off the thumb instead?

KitKat
Sat, 11-20-2010, 02:05 PM
When a horde of intelligent hungry zombies is about to break through the door and eat you is probably not the best time for critical thinking.

Psyke
Sat, 11-20-2010, 10:13 PM
Haha yeah but they didn't break through right? So where did he go....? Guess we'll find out soon.

poopdeville
Mon, 11-22-2010, 07:06 PM
Despite his casual racism, I'm liking Darryl more and more.

KitKat
Sat, 11-27-2010, 09:34 PM
A band of ruffians protecting an old folks home in the middle of a zombie apocalypse? I love it. Something about the total extremes of complete ruthlessness and depravity juxtaposed beside such amazing self-sacrifice and compassion fascinates me.

I'm betting that Merle led the walkers to the camp, as some sort of revenge. He's probably lost any sanity he had left, by now.

Pandadice
Tue, 11-30-2010, 01:39 AM
Just watched the 5 episodes that are out. Man I wish I had waited until next week to watch them. Waiting for the next episode is gonna kill me D:

This series is so good. A lot of my friends were watching it and kept telling me to, so I decided to start it.. I was hoping it was gonna be like 12 episodes this first season, not just 6.. Hopefully season 2 comes soon xD

Man, it sucks that a simple mistake, like bumping over that vial, completely ruined that guys research. At least they got there before the dude offed himself. this show always ends at the most intense parts.

Uchiha Barles
Tue, 11-30-2010, 04:42 PM
A band of ruffians protecting an old folks home in the middle of a zombie apocalypse? I love it. Something about the total extremes of complete ruthlessness and depravity juxtaposed beside such amazing self-sacrifice and compassion fascinates me.

I'm betting that Merle led the walkers to the camp, as some sort of revenge. He's probably lost any sanity he had left, by now.

lol, they're not being all THAT selfless, most of em decided to stay to take care of their own grandparents, and the natural thing to do during the apocalypse is to band together towards that common goal. It is sweet though. Adorable even. Awwww, look at the adorable gangsters! (no homo).

Psyke
Thu, 12-02-2010, 09:52 AM
The scene between the 2 sisters in episode 5 is awesome.

Penner
Fri, 12-10-2010, 07:49 AM
Just watched through episodes 2-6 and fuck me this show is god damn amazing!

I also read somewhere that season 2 might not come out for like 10 months.. :/

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-13-2010, 06:23 PM
The scene between the 2 sisters in episode 5 is awesome.

I didn't like it quite so much since I thought it took forever, largely because I was thinking "just shoot that body in the head" the entire time.

Psyke
Tue, 12-14-2010, 06:58 AM
I was just referring to the gunshot to the head actually hah. :)

Buffalobiian
Tue, 12-14-2010, 07:38 AM
I was just referring to the gunshot to the head actually hah. :)

Oh. Yeah, that was great. :p

I was surprised how weak she was. I was expecting those zombies to have steel death grips.

Archangel
Tue, 11-29-2011, 07:42 PM
Anyone still watching this?

I just watched the episode with Sophie coming out of that barn... fucking powerful moment.

rockmanj
Tue, 11-29-2011, 09:02 PM
I have, and it was a great scene. Makes up for how boring it had been. It is also a HUGE divergence from the source material.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-30-2011, 08:05 AM
So this show is still worth watching in your opinion?

I have the first 5 episodes (of S2) on hand, but the first episode bored me to death I didn't have the urge to watch any more.

Sapphire
Wed, 11-30-2011, 08:07 AM
Show was ridiculously boring until the last ep.

rockmanj
Wed, 11-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Maybe things will pick up in February (when it starts again). Good thing Homeland is still on!

Sapphire
Wed, 11-30-2011, 03:33 PM
This show is seriously horrid at pacing.

It's interesting to see the author flexing his creative muscles, though. Sophia wasn't missing in the comic, nor was she relevant and they practically made the entire second season about her in the show.

Penner
Thu, 12-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Yeah this season was really slow, but this lastest ep made up for that abit with the barn scene.

I'm also finding Shane going completely mental quite amusing :P

And thank god for Norman Reedus as Daryl the Awesome! Easily the best part of this show, and from what i've read/heard, Daryl isn't even in the books and they added him extra to the show, and i whole-heartedly thank the writers for that addition.

darkshadow
Thu, 12-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Ofcourse daryl is awesome, is a mo'fking boondock saint!

Sapphire
Thu, 12-01-2011, 12:01 PM
It wasn't worth it to me. I basically spent 4-5 hours watching people stand around a barn and bitch about the same thing over and over again.

darkshadow
Thu, 12-01-2011, 12:17 PM
The barn has only been in the last 3 eps...

Sapphire
Thu, 12-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Same shit.

Archangel
Thu, 12-01-2011, 12:47 PM
I've been reading the manga comic, cool read.

Sophia comic version is pretty hot for a 7 year old O_o

Edit: Comic Carl is alpha as fuck, i want to be like him when i grow up.

Penner
Sun, 01-15-2012, 12:43 PM
Small news tidbit: Season 3 just got an extended episode order to 16 eps.

Assassin
Mon, 02-27-2012, 11:52 PM
just watched the latest ep. i really liked it, lotta plot progression and character development wrapped in a tense as fuck zombie chase.

wonder if they're gonna kill the kid.

rockmanj
Tue, 02-28-2012, 02:18 AM
just watched the latest ep. i really liked it, lotta plot progression and character development wrapped in a tense as fuck zombie chase.

wonder if they're gonna kill the kid.

That goddamn suicide thing was kind of annoying to me. I totally forgot that blonde chick's (Beth) name was until they said it later in the episode. I don't think that is a good thing. I didn't care if she offed herself and all that chatter felt hollow and also strangely how I was beat over the head with the Andrea vs. Lori philosophy.

The action was solid though.

Assassin
Tue, 02-28-2012, 05:34 PM
i think it was a nice twist on the classic suicide plot when she asks her sister to kill herself as well. But that whole time (infact since she collapsed a few eps ago) i thought she was scratched by a walker. Particularly since shane and rick had this whole scene in this ep about how all it takes is a scratch. That whole time i was thinking beth was scratced and thats why she wanted to off herself.

btw, for anyone who is reading/has read the comic, are we back on track with the storyline or is this still new stuff?

rockmanj
Tue, 02-28-2012, 05:59 PM
btw, for anyone who is reading/has read the comic, are we back on track with the storyline or is this still new stuff?

This show has taken a HUGE deviation from the comics. I am not sure how or when they will get back to the comics plot. It is pretty much a derivative work at this point.

I won't get into the "Scratching" but that will probably be revealed. I mean didn't both Rick and Shane basically bathe in zombie blood this last episode (with open wounds, no less...and rubbing their open wounds on things zombies had been licking)? That is much worse than being scratched. Think about it...

Assassin
Sat, 03-03-2012, 10:14 PM
that makes sense....but then again, its a show about zombies so sense, perhaps, has little to do with it :p. Btw, is the comic ongoing still or has it finished? Or was is more of a one shot graphic novel?

Psyke
Sun, 03-04-2012, 07:07 AM
I like the confrontation with the 2 other guys in the bar. Humans can be so much more dangerous than zombies.

UChessmaster
Sun, 03-04-2012, 10:57 AM
that makes sense....but then again, its a show about zombies so sense, perhaps, has little to do with it :p. Btw, is the comic ongoing still or has it finished? Or was is more of a one shot graphic novel?

The comic is still ongoing, as of now it`s on chapter 94, the series so far reached chapter 11 i think, and even if it`s not a verbatim version of the comic, the general idea and story is actually intact, they can easily pick back up whenever they want. I hope they go faster though >.>

Archangel
Sun, 03-04-2012, 03:27 PM
This show has taken a HUGE deviation from the comics. I am not sure how or when they will get back to the comics plot. It is pretty much a derivative work at this point.
This kid might be from Woodbury.

rockmanj
Sun, 03-04-2012, 04:28 PM
This kid might be from Woodbury.

I was thinking that, but didn't want to say anything.

Archangel
Sun, 03-04-2012, 04:46 PM
I was thinking that, but didn't want to say anything.
I think mentioning these little tidbits is fine as long as they're without context.

We should make a thread for the comic though...

rockmanj
Mon, 03-05-2012, 12:51 AM
I think mentioning these little tidbits is fine as long as they're without context.

We should make a thread for the comic though...

I agree.

Also...I was not expecting that.

UChessmaster
Mon, 03-05-2012, 04:24 PM
So Dale is dead, that was surprising.

Archangel
Mon, 03-05-2012, 06:16 PM
FFFFFFF! So i guess we get releases a week late around here...

PS: Fuck you Uchess <3

UChessmaster
Mon, 03-05-2012, 07:54 PM
FFFFFFF! So i guess we get releases a week late around here...

PS: Fuck you Uchess <3

Here`s a torrent for the episode. (http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/2873223/03769676601/)

Assassin
Mon, 03-05-2012, 08:20 PM
ya dale dying was kinda surprising. Particularly the way he died. Didn't realize the walkers were strong enough to rip you open. i guess now they're gonna keep the kid alive as some sort of memorial to dale. I really wish they'd just shoot him and get on with it though. Plot progression has been agonizingly slow.

Also, carl's beginning to really annoy me.

darkshadow
Tue, 03-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Fuck Carl, seriously; I hope he dies.
Dale dying was kinda needed I think, there were too many of them alive and dale was more and more becoming the odd man out.

Penner
Wed, 03-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Yeah Dale dying was pretty surprising, it would have had a bigger impact on me when it happened if i wasn't already incredibly annoyed that they didn't kill that fucking Randal dude that 'the others' left behind, that decision is totally going to come back and bite em in the ass.

And yes, getting rid of Carl would be delightful. I'm not a huge fan or Lori either..

Assassin
Wed, 03-07-2012, 06:05 PM
I dont like how they keep showing rick to be compassionate. His whole shpeal about being able to make the hard choices and protect his family becomes null and void every time he pussies out. The more he tries to be the good guy the more one dimensional he remains. I want to see him be cold blooded and brutal, to really embrace the new world he's found himself in.

rockmanj
Mon, 03-12-2012, 02:17 AM
I dont like how they keep showing rick to be compassionate. His whole shpeal about being able to make the hard choices and protect his family becomes null and void every time he pussies out. The more he tries to be the good guy the more one dimensional he remains. I want to see him be cold blooded and brutal, to really embrace the new world he's found himself in.

Looks like you got your wish.

Ah, that was kind of a cop-out to have Carl shoot Shane after he turned, but it was a good episode. Lots of tension and great cinematography. That Shane is no rocket scientist, I will tell you that.

UChessmaster
Mon, 03-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Oh wow, T-dog had 4 lines!

Assassin
Tue, 03-13-2012, 02:04 AM
well that happened. I didnt think they'd kill shane this early. Im starting to think that instead of following (or getting back to) the comic story line they're just going to show how they all eventually die, and that'll be the end of the series.

Penner
Tue, 03-13-2012, 03:47 AM
I haven't read the comics but i seem to recall reading somewhere that Shane was dead much earlier in the comics, and they kept him alive longer in the show?

UChessmaster
Tue, 03-13-2012, 05:45 AM
He died by like chapter 3 or something.

rockmanj
Tue, 03-13-2012, 11:46 AM
It was the 6th issue. They are kind of getting back on track with the comic.

Penner
Mon, 03-19-2012, 11:07 AM
So, that was the season finale... go watch it! now!

darkshadow
Mon, 03-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Really cool finale, love rick's new demeanor.
Lori is really starting to annoy me, more than carl even; die already.
I had a feeling the show was going to have someone like the mystery character at the end, really want to see how that turns out.
The base at the end, was that fort benning? didn't herschel say it was overrun?
It's prolly just the HQ of that mystery character.

UChessmaster
Mon, 03-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Mistery character yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaah!

Sapphire
Mon, 03-19-2012, 01:08 PM
That FPS game-like episode was worth the horrible excuse for a season that I watched.

http://i.imgur.com/8MycX.jpg

The new character looks like the ultimate badass of badasses, I screamed due to the awesomeness that I had just witnessed.

rockmanj
Mon, 03-19-2012, 01:32 PM
t.
The base at the end, was that fort benning? didn't herschel say it was overrun?
It's prolly just the HQ of that mystery character.

It is hard to see, but it is not a base. It is a prison. Also, I like how Hershel used his "unlimited shotgun ammo" cheat. I am looking forward to the Ricktatorship, and it is about time he laid his dong in the dirt. I would be pissed if people were being all whiny for no reason (like Carol) and my wife, who like two episodes ago, was encouraging me to kill someone then gets all weird when it happens (although she might be more upset that Carl shot zombie Shane, but I would say that is a good thing. Shows that he is not afraid to do the right thing).

If Carol and Daryl hook up, I think I might become ill.

darkshadow
Mon, 03-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Hah yeah unlimitedshotgun was great, and ofcourse his reload almost got him killed; should've kept the cheat on.
I think Daryl is way too awesome to keep living, or what I mean is he's pretty much the most "unkillable" zombie killer they have; I fear they might have to get rid of him to more... "balance" the group to being weaker..especially seeing the feats of mystery character.

Penner
Mon, 03-19-2012, 03:49 PM
Oh man, when Rick had just told Lori all the shit he had gone through and how he had to end Shane... her reaction to that made me instantly want to snap her neck.

Just kill the bitch and be done with it.

Seemingly everyone ganging up on the Rick hatetrain pissed me off aswell, atleast it seems Daryl is still on Rick's side.

Sapphire
Mon, 03-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Rick was phrasing it like he just shot Shane out of the blue. "He was pushing me, it was coming to him" sort of stuff.

rockmanj
Mon, 03-19-2012, 09:44 PM
He didn't put it well, but he, like everyone else, was super stressed. He kind of sounded crazy. I wonder if they will make him the Ricktator like in the comics when it got to this point.

This (http://pleasedontstare.com/2012/03/20/origin-of-michonne/)is a little spoiler-y, but nonetheless cool.

UChessmaster
Tue, 03-20-2012, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the link! i never seen tha before, are there any other short stories like that?

rockmanj
Tue, 03-20-2012, 07:10 AM
I believe so, but I will have to look. I think there were a few background tales like that in the WD universe, but I don't know how spoiler-y they are.

Sapphire
Tue, 03-20-2012, 07:33 AM
If by Ricktator you mean dictator, that seems like where it was going since he was like "do what I say or GTFO!"

I hated Rick because he's so Naruto-ey, wanting everyone to be super happy and have super fun, so much so that it blinded him to a lot of things. This new crazy dictator Rick is probably going to swing on the other side of the spectrum and be blind to a lot of stuff too, but at least it will be more fun to watch.

Assassin
Tue, 03-20-2012, 05:05 PM
good to see rick not be a pussy anymore. Seriously, he needs to bitchslap the rest of them soon. I liked his "you dont like it, leave" speech.

I thought the mystery samurai might be daryl's lost brother, but it seems that's not the case. Also, im glad SOMEONE finally realized the importance of swords. Guns are like the worst thing to use...attract all the walkers in the area with the first shot, then cry when you can only kill like 10 cuz you're out of ammo.

As for the base, ya it looked more like a prison to me. I guess that's where they'll fortify next season. As good a place as any i suppose, seeing as its built to restrict freedom of movement.

Penner
Wed, 03-21-2012, 09:26 AM
I never understood why they didn't use something like a.. uh.. "noise-bomb" or something to provide distraction.

I mean, they KNOW the walkers are drawn to sounds..

Good example would be those small personal-attack/rape alarm things that people can have on their keychains, when you pull the pin on em it makes a ridiculously loud beeping sound. Throw one of those in one direction and damn near every zombie within a pretty fucking huge area would be distracted for a good while. (i guess a really loud portable stereo or something else thats loud enough would work decently aswell)

Although i guess it might be hard to find those things unless they're in a big city with abandoned electronics stores and whatnot, and the bigger cities are probably the most walker-packed areas out there.

good to see rick not be a pussy anymore. Seriously, he needs to bitchslap the rest of them soon. I liked his "you dont like it, leave" speech.

Yeah, that was sooo good, all the others seem to do is whine and bitch, with the biggest exception being Daryl, and more recently Andrea.

Andrea is by far my favourie female character in this show now, at first not so much, but now she's great.

Also, im glad SOMEONE finally realized the importance of swords.

Quoted for maximum truthtelling. They even pointed out some times how they needed to use their knives more to kill silently. A sword is like that, but 10 times more effective, and much less risky because of the added range.

Sapphire
Thu, 03-22-2012, 07:21 AM
Using Penner's logic, all of the zombies should have walked into the fire. Fail show.

Penner
Thu, 03-22-2012, 10:37 AM
It should work.. i mean, when Rick stabbed Shane and Shane's gun went off, pretty much the entire legion of zombies wandering the woods instantly stopped and changed direction towards that sound.

I guess once they are close enough to smell/see you, they ignore any other sounds/distractions, so then it won't work.

Not sure how long they would be distracted by the sound though, eventually they should figure out that there's nothing edible there, or they'd just kinda wander around the source of the sound until it stopped making it... who knows how their brains work -.-

rockmanj
Sun, 03-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Using Penner's logic, all of the zombies should have walked into the fire. Fail show.

What do you mean? The noise from the barn collapsing? And their "strategy" of using (loud) cars did kind of work. I think a noise bomb or like an air raid siren might work, although I think they can smell as well.

TwisT
Mon, 07-16-2012, 07:11 PM
Season 3 Trailer

http://www.soepvork.nl/the-walking-dead-season-3-trailer/

Assassin
Thu, 07-19-2012, 11:18 AM
looks like things are picking up. gonna be a great season!

Animeniax
Thu, 10-11-2012, 01:08 AM
Just started watching this series. Suspenseful and heart-pounding at times, though with some zombie show cliches that are frustrating, particularly how the normals behave with their shitty shitty lack of survival instincts.

I hope the main character wises up and soon. I don't want to support a lead character who acts as dumb as the sheriff in the first episode. I kept hoping he would die and they'd move to another main character, but no dice.

Penner
Tue, 10-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Anyone else watched the first ep of the new season yet?

It's one hell of a season opener!

darkshadow
Tue, 10-16-2012, 04:22 PM
I shared my sentiments about it on IRC, but yeah I was excited, while yuki less so.

UChessmaster
Tue, 10-16-2012, 04:53 PM
It was a pretty good episode, i`m glad it didnt took them 1 and a half season to get to the prison.

Animeniax
Tue, 10-23-2012, 02:08 AM
I'm a bit stunned at the complaints I've read here and on other websites about this show. I had some negative opinions about it at first but it's proven to be a pretty awesome series thus far. I don't get the complaints about the second season being too slow, or all the hate for Lori.

I liked the stability of their extended stay in the farm environment, and feel it was needed in order to let them develop characters and the storyline in a meaningful way, rather than having them constantly on the move from place to place and just dealing with shit on the fly. I'm loving the series and hope it keeps getting better and better.

UChessmaster
Tue, 10-23-2012, 06:28 AM
I'm a bit stunned at the complaints I've read here and on other websites about this show. I had some negative opinions about it at first but it's proven to be a pretty awesome series thus far. I don't get the complaints about the second season being too slow, or all the hate for Lori.

I liked the stability of their extended stay in the farm environment, and feel it was needed in order to let them develop characters and the storyline in a meaningful way, rather than having them constantly on the move from place to place and just dealing with shit on the fly. I'm loving the series and hope it keeps getting better and better.

The complains come when you compare it to the comics, season 2 in the comics was like... 2 issues, after carl got shot and quickly healed it basically went like this.

"Cool farm you got here"
"Yep"
"Can we stay?"
"Nop"
"Ok, bye"

There`ll be a lot of character development and storyline with the prison arc... or there should be anyway... that said, this season s pretty good so far.

As for the Lori hate, i don`t get it either.

P.S: Still butthurt over Tyresse.

Penner
Tue, 10-23-2012, 10:51 AM
I'm guessing you're watching more than one episode per week Ani? If you had to watch season 2 only one episode per week like when it was airing, the first half of it was ridiculously slow :)

Animeniax
Tue, 10-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Ahhh, both points taken and make sense. Comparing books/comics you love to their live action depictions usually ends in disappointment. Glad I didn't read the comics then, because it makes the show so much more enjoyable as its own story. And yeah Penner, I'm watching about one episode a night when I can, so the story is going at a good rate. Though I can't say for sure, but I think I'd still like the story if I saw it weekly.

Archangel
Tue, 10-23-2012, 01:15 PM
As for Lori, i think the nail in the coffin was her look of blame on Rick after he had to kill Shane. She was the one who started the whole mess between them in the first place and she dares to blame Rick? I've never liked her character in both the series or the comics but that was just unforgivable.

Tyresse might still show up but i think Daryl already took the place of Rick's right hand man. There's not much for him to contribute to the story right now.

Animeniax
Tue, 10-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Dang, knew I should have avoided this thread because of spoilers. Though seeing the promo picture for the new season reveals a bit, like the absence of certain characters. I just watched episode 10 of season 2 where Rick and Shane apparently make up and see that they need each other. I thought that would guarantee their long-term association, but I guess not. I'll be avoiding this thread until I catch up.

Archangel
Tue, 10-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Dang, knew I should have avoided this thread because of spoilers. Though seeing the promo picture for the new season reveals a bit, like the absence of certain characters. I just watched episode 10 of season 2 where Rick and Shane apparently make up and see that they need each other. I thought that would guarantee their long-term association, but I guess not. I'll be avoiding this thread until I catch up.
What the fuck did you think was gonna happen? We'd be discussing shit from the previous season?

Animeniax
Tue, 10-23-2012, 05:13 PM
What the fuck did you think was gonna happen? We'd be discussing shit from the previous season?

Which is what we were doing. But don't get so defensive, I wasn't blaming you, just bonking myself on the head for entering the thread knowing I'd see spoilers. Surprisingly, there aren't that many or that are very revealing in this thread.

Just please don't tell me that Daryl ends up shacking up with Carol. That would be gross and sad, for Daryl.

Archangel
Tue, 10-23-2012, 07:21 PM
It's not as much being defensive as it is being proactive in telling you you're being retarded.

And Daryl and Carol will either fuck or die, that's totally happening.

UChessmaster
Tue, 10-23-2012, 07:59 PM
Just please don't tell me that Daryl ends up shacking up with Carol. That would be gross and sad, for Daryl.

Daryl is not a part of the comic, we don`t know what`ll happen with him. :P

Just saw episode 2, a certain someone was missing among the prisoners and that makes me saaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Animeniax
Tue, 10-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Wow, I didn't see it coming, but the group's self-appointed vocal conscious just died. I wonder who will take his place as the guy who tries to talk reason to everyone who doesn't want to listen.

Daryl is not a part of the comic, we don`t know what`ll happen with him. :P OIC. That's cool, I think he's a good character, kind of a wildcard with lots of skills and the coldbloodedness to do what needs to be done. That sucks that they're angling him into some kind of relationship with Carol, who really has no place in the group now that Sophia is gone. If she hooks up with Daryl, that's one less reason they kill her off.

Animeniax
Fri, 10-26-2012, 12:13 AM
Just finished season 2. I call the final episode of season 2, "Bitches Be Trippin'." All the women in this episode acted like idiots or did something stupid before it was over. Every single one of them, and the kid too.

I like how it ended with Rick asserting dictatorship, and Hershel and Daryl siding with him.

Penner
Fri, 10-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Heh :P, the way Lori acted when Rick told her he killed Shane, that just made me want to punch her in the face so bad. I disliked her prior to that, after it i kinda want her dead as soon as possible.

Animeniax
Fri, 10-26-2012, 11:51 AM
Heh :P, the way Lori acted when Rick told her he killed Shane, that just made me want to punch her in the face so bad. I disliked her prior to that, after it i kinda want her dead as soon as possible.

I read your post about that earlier so I think it prepared me for it so it didn't suck as bad when it happened. I loved the look on Lori's face when Rick told the group he's the man and everyone else can suck it. But I don't see her dying any time soon.

I was cheering for Andrea to get bit, but then mystery woman showed up. Can't wait to start watching season 3.

Animeniax
Sun, 10-28-2012, 11:27 PM
I haven't seen the newest episode, but wanted to comment on the last episode, "Sick." It looks like the group is down to 3 able-bodied men and Glen, who they left with the women while the men dealt with the convicts. I think they need to recruit a couple more men to fill out their ranks, since they lost Shane, and wonder why the writers didn't make some of the convicts worthwhile additions to their group. I do appreciate the addition of the two cute farmer's daughters.

Penner
Mon, 10-29-2012, 07:11 AM
Damn, the Governor is seriously fucked up o.o

Archangel
Mon, 10-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Damn, the Governor is seriously fucked up o.o
Of all the characters presented in the comic so far he is the one i would describe as pure evil.

Animeniax
Tue, 10-30-2012, 12:54 AM
Are you guys referring to the slaughter of those army soldiers or the collection of zombie heads or something else? I imagine he does some really awful things in the comic because these two instances aren't that bad. I can understand him not wanting the soldiers in his community, they could form a clique and disobey or they could take over the town.

I'm still not sure why everyone is so quick to kill "strangers" instead of integrating them into their groups. I think the Governor could have used another 6 able-bodied soldiers to defend his town. And Rick's group could certainly use some more man-power.

Penner
Mon, 11-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Holy shit this episode was intense.. i mean.. damn. O.o

oyabun
Mon, 11-05-2012, 07:56 PM
I can't stop myself for feeling happy on what happened this episode. Kudos to the kid though, he acted more adult like than his father.

Animeniax
Fri, 11-09-2012, 12:11 AM
This was a CRAZY episode, surprised so much happened and it's not a season finale or anything. Shocked that they'd kill off those characters, and one is missing.

And I for one can't wait until something terrible happens to Andrea. I can't stand that bitch.

edit: I didn't want to spoil anything, but shit I can't believe they killed off T-Dog like that. Of course, they have the other big black dude to take his place, so status quo is kept.

oyabun
Fri, 11-09-2012, 02:47 AM
I'm glad she went missing. I could not stand another minute of her and Daryl flirting.

Animeniax
Fri, 11-09-2012, 12:32 PM
It was pretty gross. She's not an ugly woman if you look at her face, but the body, the haircut, the age, and the personality were all hideous. I'm sure she'll be back with the group though.

edit: I haven't read the comic, but does Andrea resemble the Governor's dead wife? Is that the reason for his interest in her?

Penner
Mon, 11-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Oh great, like the Governor wasn't already creepy enough.

Michonne being a badass, Andrea being a dumbass, and Merle has surprisingly good fighting skills :p

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Mon, 11-12-2012, 01:44 PM
I really hope we get to see Amputee Bayonet vs Katana now. Didn't know Merle had such sick technique, when he busted that initial kick out my fondness for the character went straight up.

Animeniax
Mon, 11-12-2012, 11:08 PM
Oh great, like the Governor wasn't already creepy enough.

Michonne being a badass, Andrea being a dumbass, and Merle has surprisingly good fighting skills :p

I don't see anything so bad about the Governor, considering Archangel called his character in the comics pure evil. I think the rules have changed a bit in this new world they live in. The zombie fight isn't that much worse than what we see in football and hockey on a weekly basis. And the Governor enjoying the spoils of office isn't anything worse than the politicians/government leaders of our time.

I hate Andrea but I can see why she'd rather stay in the community than go wandering off into the wilderness with Michonne again.

@Kagemane: they showed in the preview for next week a fight between Merle and Michonne, so you'll get your wish.

UChessmaster
Tue, 11-13-2012, 04:18 AM
I haven't read the comic, but does Andrea resemble the Governor's dead wife? Is that the reason for his interest in her?

I don`t think they ever even met.

Animeniax
Tue, 11-13-2012, 01:21 PM
I don`t think they ever even met.

You mean Andrea and the Governor didn't meet in the comic?

UChessmaster
Tue, 11-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Correct.

Animeniax
Tue, 11-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Wow, pretty drastic change then. Glad I didn't read the comics so I can enjoy the TV series on its own merits.

Animeniax
Wed, 11-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Good episode this week. I like that they are finally tying the two stories together, even if it meant making the chinaman look inept and ineffectual. Also it's kind of weird how small a world they live in that they two groups would encounter each other this close together.

I don't like how much time is spent on the Governor trying to hook up with Andrea. I hope she gets zombified soon and good riddance.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Sat, 11-24-2012, 06:07 AM
Yeah I can't wait for Andrea to die. I hope she continues her affair until she meets back up with the group and stays on Governor's side until Rick buries an ax so deep in her skull they have to bury her with it.

Her actor portraying her is just not on the same standard as the others in this show. Even her scenes alongside the Governor feel so imbalanced in absolutely not her favor. Cant wait till she's gone... most likely will be toward the end of the season.

Penner
Sat, 11-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Can't wait to see the reunion of Daryl and Merle. going to be very interesting to see what happens there :P

Animeniax
Sat, 11-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Yeah I can't wait for Andrea to die. I hope she continues her affair until she meets back up with the group and stays on Governor's side until Rick buries an ax so deep in her skull they have to bury her with it.

Her actor portraying her is just not on the same standard as the others in this show. Even her scenes alongside the Governor feel so imbalanced in absolutely not her favor. Cant wait till she's gone... most likely will be toward the end of the season.

I think the governor is a poon-hound. Now that he has Maggie, he might throw Andrea to the biters.

edit: I don't know why, but reading you put it that way about Andrea makes me a little ashamed at me wanting her dead too. She really is obnoxious and needs to be put in her place, but should we wish death on her? I know its a tv character that we hate, but when we talk about wanting her killed, does that say something bad about us?

Penner
Mon, 11-26-2012, 10:55 AM
This was a pretty big build-up ep, but the next episode looks like it's going to be fucking awesome!

Next ep is also the mid-season finale apparently :/

Animeniax
Tue, 11-27-2012, 01:35 AM
This latest episode was intense! Lots of action and setup for the next big episode.

I can't help hating on Glenn and Maggie... two guns aimed at Merle and somehow they're now in the predicament they are in. How bad do you have to suck to fail that hard? I was fully expecting the governor to do something terrible to Maggie. Luckily it was just a mind game.

It sucks that it's the mid-season finale, but supposedly the show will return in February.

Penner
Mon, 12-03-2012, 10:01 AM
New episode is out, gonna watch it right now!

--------------------------------------------------------

Oh COME ON! You're gonna end the mid-season finale like that?

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU~~

(Aside from that, fucking awesome episode)

Animeniax
Mon, 12-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Awesome episode, lots of action and story progression, and an exciting setup for when the show resumes in Feb.

Some gripes but they are minor, like how a badass like Daryl gets caught. Maybe he wanted to be caught so he could see Merle, but it was necessary for the setup at the end anyway.

I think it's funny, once again they kill off a big black dude, only to replace him with another big black dude... Tyrese.

Penner
Mon, 12-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Next episode airs on February 10, 2013... man i hate when they cut seasons in half like this :/

Animeniax
Mon, 12-03-2012, 03:43 PM
You need to increase your spannungsbogen, young grasshoppa.

UChessmaster
Mon, 12-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Tyresse!!!!! <3 I take back anything bad i ever said from the t.v series.

Animeniax
Mon, 12-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Ha, what if they treat the character like another T-dog?

UChessmaster
Mon, 12-03-2012, 05:21 PM
:O, they can`t!!

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Mon, 12-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Man they must have binders full of big black guys over at AMC. T-dog out... prisoner guy in. Prisoner guy out..... Tyrese in.

Looks like judging from the preview for 3 months from now Darryl is getting saved by some smoke grenades. I was 90% sure he wasn't gonna get the ax just based on the sheer amount of popularity his character has gained. People like him more than Rick and I'm one of them.

What I'm wondering is what the fate of Merle will be.... will he escape along with Darryl?? We can all assume that Darryl would want his brother to come with them, but could we really see Rick and the others allowing that to happen after what he just did to Glenn? He might just get locked up in a cell where he belongs. I really wanted the governor to just shoot him in the face.

Animeniax
Mon, 12-03-2012, 10:02 PM
No way does Merle rejoin the group, not after all that happened, especially with Glen. If he did join, he'd be the new Shane and wouldn't last long. It'd be nice to see Glen run a knife through him though.

I'm glad they finally gave Michonne some more character instead of just being this silent angry person. Hopefully she integrates into the group, though I can see them keeping her separate in a related storyline.

UChessmaster
Tue, 12-04-2012, 09:46 AM
I can actually see Merle earning his way back into the group now that he got betrayed by the gorvenor.

In other news there`s a new game coming up soon featuring the Dixon brothers.

Animeniax
Tue, 12-04-2012, 01:37 PM
I think he'd be too much of a divisive character in the group, similar to Shane. At this point, Rick isn't taking shit from anyone. Though if the trailer for the remaining season is to be believed, Carl will convince Rick to cede control of the group. I can't think of anyone else who could lead them but Merle, except now we have Tyrese.

UChessmaster
Sat, 12-08-2012, 07:54 AM
And that`s exactly why he should join the group, to bring internal conflict and turmoil, the governor betrayed him, so there`s only two places to go, rick`s group or dead, and he`s too popular to die, i can see him saving his brother`s life and having him use his influence on the group to let him in.

Animeniax
Sat, 12-08-2012, 12:35 PM
I don't think Rick would put up with another source of conflict in the group, and personally I wouldn't want to see it with Merle (been done already). With Tyrese joining them, there'd be too much conflict with Merle, and Glen/Maggie wouldn't be ok with it. They can make plenty of conflict from outside groups of bandits. Is Merle really that popular a character?

From the Governor's view, it's very plausible that Merle is a traitor. He talked about his brother a lot, then his brother appears as part of an attack that results in the Gov's daughter dying and him losing an eye.

Penner
Sat, 12-08-2012, 07:34 PM
From the Governor's view, it's very plausible that Merle is a traitor. He talked about his brother a lot, then his brother appears as part of an attack that results in the Gov's daughter dying and him losing an eye.

Merle also lied and told the Governor that Michonne was dead, and because Michonne lived she was able to get to Ricks group and lead them back to Woodbury.

Take all that and add the fact Daryl was in the attacking group, it would be hard NOT to think Merle was a traitor :P

Animeniax
Sat, 12-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Merle also lied and told the Governor that Michonne was dead, and because Michonne lived she was able to get to Ricks group and lead them back to Woodbury.

Take all that and add the fact Daryl was in the attacking group, it would be hard NOT to think Merle was a traitor :P

Oh right that too, forgot about how Merle lied about Michonne being dead. He's pretty much screwed in Woodbury and with Rick's group.

Though now that I consider it, how did the Governor know Daryl was who he is? Daryl doesn't seem like the type to talk and he didn't know Merle was there so he wouldn't have tried to save himself by claiming that tie.

Penner
Fri, 12-21-2012, 05:06 PM
The Walking Dead renewed for a fourth season and the showrunner leaves. (http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/12/21/walking-dead-showrunner-renewed/) (again lol)

Animeniax
Sat, 01-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Wow, funny how we were lamenting the show going on winter break, but here we are just a month or so away from new episodes.

Penner
Mon, 02-11-2013, 06:41 AM
Sweet jesus the new episode is already here!

Animeniax
Mon, 02-11-2013, 01:08 PM
Pretty good episode. A few things were resolved, and new complications arose.

I'm happy to be right about Merle, but I'm surprised Daryl did what he did. Also surprised at how Merle acted towards the survivors when his ass was on the line between them letting him join them or kicking him out. Andrea continues to overstep her authority, can't wait until the Governor puts her in her place.

UChessmaster
Mon, 02-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Saw the episode, did not enjoy it.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Mon, 02-11-2013, 08:33 PM
Andrea is not only boring, but the actor plays the role like a chore. She only ever has one blank facial expression, and she's on the show more than almost anyone. Show us more Glenn, more with Carol, or Daryl.... hell anyone other than Andrea. Give us some Michonne, let her say more than 1 word an episode. OR AT LEAST ONE AN EPISODE FFS

The entire Governor story has waned thin to be honest. The pacing of this show just trudges along, nothing ever seems to progress.... and when it finally does we have 2 book-ending episodes on either side with even less happening.

Animeniax
Tue, 02-12-2013, 03:03 AM
I think you guys are seeing this new episode as the start of an arc when really it's just a continuation from previous events that haven't been resolved.

Funk that, I don't want to see more Glenn or Carol or Michonne. The Michonne character is so one-dimensional it's pointless to explore. I'll be surprised if she lasts until the end of the season, considering her role is played out.

If anything, more Carl, Beth, and Tyrese would help the show. All of the other characters are pretty well fleshed out. The biggest problem with the show for me is how the zombies have taken a serious backseat to human-vs-human conflict. Maybe if a zombie leader emerged, or they somehow became a greater threat (intelligence or more intensity).

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Tue, 02-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Tyrese seems like he'll make a good fit in the group, he fills a role that the show desperately needs right now.

And no, I don't mean big black man who dies in a few episodes.

Uchiha Barles
Tue, 02-12-2013, 10:05 PM
This show is hard to watch sometimes. I find it amazing that when the group started firing on the zombies during Darrell and Merle's fight, the gun toters in the city didn't immediately seek cover. They walked and looked around as if immune to bullets. That bothered me a bunch.

And I definitely do like Tyrell. I hope he becomes part of the group, particularly with Darrell gone and Rick's apparently dwindling mental stability. The actor's basically reprising his role from the Wire, but in a zombie apocalypse setting. It should work out nicely.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Wed, 02-13-2013, 02:24 AM
Daryl isn't gone. He's too popular to be "gone". There's of course the chance he'll be separated from the group for a bit, but I expect him to return to the prison soon after.

Animeniax
Wed, 02-13-2013, 12:50 PM
This show is hard to watch sometimes. I find it amazing that when the group started firing on the zombies during Darrell and Merle's fight, the gun toters in the city didn't immediately seek cover. They walked and looked around as if immune to bullets. That bothered me a bunch.

And I definitely do like Tyrell. I hope he becomes part of the group, particularly with Darrell gone and Rick's apparently dwindling mental stability. The actor's basically reprising his role from the Wire, but in a zombie apocalypse setting. It should work out nicely.

Well in their defense they were supposedly in shock and unsure of what to do, demonstrating what a hapless bunch of morons the citizens of Woodbury are. I think it represents the complacency of the human race and how we aren't prepared for the future or catastrophe.

Penner
Mon, 02-18-2013, 07:32 AM
New ep is out, and shit just got real!

Animeniax
Mon, 02-18-2013, 03:10 PM
Kinda frustrating episode with everyone out of sorts and no leadership in the group. Watching the Talking Dead right after helps explain and humanize some of what happens though. The zombie bomb was awesome, what a concept!

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Tue, 02-19-2013, 12:46 AM
A much better episode than most in this season. I got sick of the whole Ricktatorship very quickly (if you call since Shane died quickly) and there wasn't enough chaos in a supposed chaotic environment... I think the producers noticed this as well and have definitely delivered.

Who was the person in full pseudo-body armor regalia dropping off the zombies? At first I thought it to be Andrea but that wouldn't make much sense.

Penner
Sun, 03-24-2013, 09:22 PM
New ep out!

Penner
Sun, 03-24-2013, 10:07 PM
Damn... that was the saddest moment in the whole show :/

Sapphire
Sun, 03-24-2013, 10:58 PM
Which moment? Meryl basically committing suicide?

Penner
Sun, 03-24-2013, 11:09 PM
Which moment? It's not like there was any other sad moments to choose from in the ep, but when Daryl found Merle at the end was the sad part.

lilphatboi88
Mon, 03-25-2013, 04:34 AM
It was so sad, I can't stop thinking about it. That was such good acting. He was sad and angry at the fact that Merle went off by himself and got him killed. Merle basically left Daryl all alone in the world.

Penner
Sun, 03-31-2013, 10:45 AM
Season finale tonight!

I'm expecting atleast one person from the group to die, and maybe the governor aswell. (i say maybe because that dude is so sneaky he might actually escape somehow and return for vengeance later)

Animeniax
Mon, 04-01-2013, 02:08 AM
Which moment? Meryl basically committing suicide?

I don't think he was trying to go kamikaze, he attacked the governor's group and got sloppy. If that zombie hadn't attacked him and if he hadn't defended himself so vigorously, he could have stayed in hiding and killed most of the governor's people and maybe the governor himself. I'm surprised he died though.

Penner
Mon, 04-01-2013, 07:09 AM
Well... that finale went almost as expected lol

oyabun
Mon, 04-01-2013, 08:33 PM
I was expecting that the matter with the governor would be concluded...

Sapphire
Sun, 04-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Maybe one of the governer's henchmen will pull a Boardwalk Empire and assassinate him?

I don't expect the governer to create another army, though. Everyone he cared about is basically dead, and that seemed to be the only reason he made the community. Michonne and Rick should still watch their backs, though.

Animeniax
Sun, 04-07-2013, 01:30 PM
I don't think either of his remaining 2 henchman have the initiative or the resolve to do that. They are two of the most cliched henchmen ever, the big black one has had maybe 1 line the entire series. I'm surprised he escaped, but I guess like Merle he'll reappear to be a constant thorn in the survivors' toes. He'll probably recruit new people with his charm and lies, then be a problem for Rick and co again.

I just watched the finale, pretty blown away with what happened. I'm happy Andrea is finally dead, though the writers really trolled us hard during her escape scenes. I don't like that the survivors accepted all those old people into their fold. I know it helps show their humanity but they really need more able-bodied men and women to defend them.

Penner
Sun, 04-07-2013, 01:47 PM
I watched 'Talking Dead' after the finale, and they brought up a good point that old people might die in their sleep and turn into zombies during the night... that's actually a legitimate concern i had not thought about lol

Animeniax
Sun, 04-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Another reason to not let them in, though I'd be surprised if they actually addressed the possibility in the show. And for that matter, what about the baby? If she suffered sudden infant death syndrome, she could turn into a zombie.

UChessmaster
Mon, 04-08-2013, 06:34 AM
Andrea died? I guess their going to do their own version and stop following the comics...

Animeniax
Mon, 04-08-2013, 11:54 AM
I think the viewing audience had had enough of her and wanted her gone. The writers obliged, but did so in the most frustrating way possible, making us think she might survive. The audience is rather fickle though (the hate for Lori for example) so maybe the writers shouldn't listen to them.

Penner
Mon, 04-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Dat moment when she was trying to break free before Milton turned, and she kept stopping to chat with him, only to get bitten because of it.

Classic dumbass Andrea.

Archangel
Mon, 04-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Andrea died? I guess their going to do their own version and stop following the comics...
They've been doing their own version from the very beginning, TV show Andrea was nothing like comic book Andrea.

UChessmaster
Mon, 04-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Yeah, but the overall story was more or less the same, if Andrea is dead, Philip alive, and Rick won the battle; I don`t really see how the story can go on, and I had hopes Andrea would eventually become a badass, but no.

Archangel
Tue, 04-09-2013, 01:36 AM
Yeah, but the overall story was more or less the same, if Andrea is dead, Philip alive, and Rick won the battle; I don`t really see how the story can go on, and I had hopes Andrea would eventually become a badass, but no.
It's not like Andrea is the first long lived comic book character to die too soon in the TV show, and it's not the overall story that's been the same but the themes for each arc.

Animeniax
Tue, 04-09-2013, 02:15 AM
Dat moment when she was trying to break free before Milton turned, and she kept stopping to chat with him, only to get bitten because of it.

Classic dumbass Andrea.

That's what I meant by the writers trolling with us. They played with our emotions, half wanting her to hurry up and escape and half glad she's so dumb and doomed to die. Worse, she was free when zombie Milton attacked her, and she still got bit and died.

I wonder what Michonne was doing exactly when Andrea shot herself with that hand-cannon. She probably got hearing damage.

Sapphire
Tue, 04-09-2013, 02:11 PM

****MINOR COMIC BOOK SPOILERS BELOW***

Yeah, they've pretty much been doing whatever they wanted since like, S01E03. If they really wanted to be faithful to the comics, Shane would have died when he was aiming the gun at Rick in the forest during that one scene (as far remember).

Andrea's death doesn't worry me so much as the fact that they weren't run out of the prison. This is a total departure from the comic in like every way, so I'll be interested in seeing what they'll do.

The show seems to be reluctant to have set changes. They stayed at the farm house entirely too long, too.

Archangel
Tue, 04-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Not really, i can easily see how they would transition from this into the next arc in the comic.

The only REAL loose end is the Governor and how he currently stands, and they could still easily incorporate him into the next arc since that one didn't have any main villain.

Animeniax
Sun, 04-14-2013, 11:40 PM
I've read mostly negative reviews about the season finale and it boggles my mind. I guess they're comparing it to the comics because the episode on its own was awesome and moving, and the entire season has been good. I'll admit I almost cried the second time I watched the episode and the old folks were being helped into the prison. Not sure why that got me emotional but something about having women to take care of the baby and maybe bring Carl back to the light was a hopeful and touching scene.

And now they'll have Tyrese and his friend (sister, wife?) back in the fold. No more Merle and no more Andrea to inflame the senses.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Mon, 04-15-2013, 09:13 AM
Only thing I couldn't stand about the finale was, you guessed it, Andrea. She kept stopping to look at Milton every five seconds instead of reaching for... whatever it was.. to set herself free.

I can only hope now that shes finally dead that the show will improve. If they learn from this past season about which episodes worked better than others then we'll see more ones like when Rick, Carl, and Michonne went out. And less like.... well... most of this season.

Animeniax
Mon, 04-15-2013, 09:23 AM
I still think the writers did that on purpose with Andrea, feeding on the fan hate for the character. I'd be surprised if they didn't purposefully introduce another character that fans will hate next season. People like to find someone to shit on, and it's usually not the villain who is instead respected for being badass.

I also liked the small scale mission with Rick, Carl, and Michonne. It allowed for some bonding and character development, which I'd like to see with some of the lesser characters. Here's hoping Beth gets a love interest, though no one in the current group really qualifies except maybe Rick.

Sapphire
Fri, 05-24-2013, 04:27 PM
Anyone who likes walking dead may want to check out the BBC show In the Flesh.

As far as I can tell, it's about (SPOILER) the re-assimilation of former zombies (they finally found a cure... something I've NEVER actually seen on TV) into society.(/SPOILER)

The main male character is so good. I love UK TV.

darkshadow
Sun, 07-21-2013, 02:09 AM
http://youtu.be/Dxg27QsaIEY

I'm glad they are moving on from the prison

Animeniax
Sun, 07-21-2013, 09:49 AM
Looks like an action-packed season they have in mind, with a focus back on the zombie apocalypse instead of human enemies.

I'm happy they are moving on from the prison too. I think they should find a large ship and move onto it in a bay. No way could zombies attack them then.

I like seeing Darryl and Beth getting googly eyed with each other there near the end of the trailer. Much more appealing coupling than Darryl and Carol.

Archangel
Sun, 07-21-2013, 10:08 AM
I'm glad they are moving on from the prison

What trailer were you watching? They don't seem to be even half done with the prison.

darkshadow
Sun, 07-21-2013, 11:21 AM
You must be fucking blind and stupid cause it clearly showed the prison being breached, all of them saying they should leave and then footage of them actually on the road and in other places, and the fucking sanctuary message.

Animeniax
Sun, 07-21-2013, 12:18 PM
What trailer were you watching? They don't seem to be even half done with the prison.

It looks like most of the season is setting up for them to leave the prison, but they actually spend most of the season at the prison. Really where else could they go to get away from the zombies besides an island, a ship or maybe a high rise building. They could occupy the upper levels.

lilphatboi88
Sun, 07-21-2013, 10:39 PM
I agree. Most of it looks like it's still taking place in the prison.

Penner
Mon, 10-14-2013, 12:47 PM
New ep is out!

Btw, go watch this ep of "Talking Dead" aswell, because fucking Nathan Fillion is a guest on it!

Animeniax
Tue, 10-15-2013, 10:36 AM
Pretty good episode, though half the new characters died.

I was surprised that Beth's boyfriend died (he's actually had some decent roles in other films) but happy because she's too hot for him. It kinda looked like she and Daryl would hook up, but then there's Carol who's too old and gross for Daryl. Also, I thought for sure Rick had a new love interest, but then she zombified herself.

I like that Carl is no longer on the road to becoming a sociopath.

Penner
Tue, 10-15-2013, 11:08 AM
That kid at the end seemed to go from healthy to sick really damn fast, and he didn't seem to be wounded or anything so my guess is that there's some disease that has infected the animals/water supply or something like that.
Maybe all the walkers being killed and piling up around the fence is starting to absorb into the ground and the plants/animals/humans in turn absorb all kinds of diseases and crap from eating/drinking that shit?

They kept showing dead animals and drew extra attention to 'violet' the pig mysteriously dying, so something is clearly wrong...

I think we talked about this a while back that old people might die in their sleep and become walkers, and that kid at the end is pretty much the same result... has no one at the prison thought about people getting sick and just dying when everyone is asleep?

edit: Another point brought up in the "Talking Dead" episode is that mysterious person who was feeding a rat to a walker at the fence in the middle of the night, maybe that is drawing them in, kinda like how if you keep feeding wild animals eventually more and more will show up.

Not sure what the reason for that would be, maybe an "inside man" still loyal to The Governor?

Animeniax
Tue, 10-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Yeah I was thinking the same thing (plus I recently watched WWZ which has an interesting twist on what causes zombism and how to fight it) that the kid was sick with some deadly virus or bacteria. Bad news is that he was shown preparing food earlier in the day, and had contact with Daryl, Carol, and Carl. He wasn't wounded until he collapsed and slammed his head into the floor in the shower room, at which point he died and turned.

One thing I noticed right before he turned, they showed everyone sleeping peacefully in their cells, but with the cell doors open. Personally I'd sleep with the cell doors closed, to protect from people dying in their sleep and coming back as zombies as well as from a zombie attack at night. That or post guards 24/7.

The feeding scene didn't occur yet, just in the trailers right? I don't think it would take some devious insider to ruin their chances at survival. People do dumb stuff, and the rest of us pay for it.

darkshadow
Tue, 10-15-2013, 04:58 PM
Boring, uneventful, ugly episode.
The only highlight was the apparantly new kind of zombie.

Alhuin
Tue, 10-15-2013, 09:03 PM
As much as I love the Walking Dead, this episode kinda pissed me off. Season 3 ended with Rick bringing in the survivors from Woodbury, so it's easy to believe they've created a better "community" in the time between seasons. But then you have Carl, who mysteriously came back from the brink of "being a sociopath", as Ani posted... and Rick, who mysteriously doesn't want to carry a gun anymore. You have Beth who obtained a boyfriend out of nowhere, despite all signs in season 3 pointing to Carl as the love interest. You have lumberjack black dude (I don't remember his name) mysteriously being separated from his wife in season 3 and having a new love interest. I'm sure there's a bit more I'm forgetting at the moment, but I think I've made my point.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with shaking things up a little, but at least have it make fucking sense.

Probably the most logical situation I noticed about this episode was the fact that Michone(sp?) is still looking for the governor. Better to try and find him before he regains his "sanity" and starts up a new army.

Animeniax
Tue, 10-15-2013, 11:12 PM
I think having the community is why Carl and Rick have changed a bit back to their pre-outbreak selves. A lot of the Woodbury folks are older folks who can help raise Carl and shoulder the load of being adult, and the kids can help him be a kid again (which we kinda saw in the episode). Rick not wanting to carry a gun is too much of a departure, I agree with you there, but it makes sense that he's had enough of killing and shooting things.

I don't think Carl and Beth were ever together given their age differences. Carl is what, 10, 12 tops? And Beth is 17 in season 3, probably older now. Her boyfriend didn't survive so maybe they will go with Carl, but he's still too young. I also don't think Tyrese (the big black dude) was married to the black chick from his group, so he's free to shack up with the Woodbury chick.

Penner
Tue, 10-15-2013, 11:13 PM
I think (not 100% sure) they said in the 'Talking Dead' aftershow that it's apparently been like a 7 month timeskip since last seasons finale.

Animeniax
Tue, 10-15-2013, 11:22 PM
7 months is plenty of time for some personality changes, especially in tight quarters with constant contact

I checked WD Wiki and they have Beth listed at 17 or 18 and Carl at 14. Still too much of an age difference, and I'm not sure they're right about Carl's age.

KitKat
Wed, 10-16-2013, 11:35 AM
I don't know if Carl is back from the brink yet. Kids are pretty resilient, but that's a lot of trauma for one boy to handle. As much as it seems like he's going back to normalcy now, I think his issues will come out again when they're on the run. A lot of his parenting was done by Shane, after all, at a critical time in Carl's life when he was very vulnerable.

The group is large enough now that defending the prison is do-able, but on the run they're going to have low mobility, making them an easy target for Walker mobs. I was surprised that the one kid's condition deteriorated so fast. You'd think that the camp would have some kind of night patrol, just in case of trouble. If they have an outbreak of sickness among the camp with everyone in such close quarters and poor conditions, it's going to keep them short-handed and preoccupied, giving the walkers more opportunity to break down the defenses.

Are they hauling away the walker bodies periodically? Because after 7 months, if there are dozens of new walkers every day, there would surely be enough that they'd be piled all the way up to the top of the fence. You'd think that the walker population would be getting thinned out by now after so long, with their bodies decaying past being usable. Or at least becoming fragile enough that they're slower or clumsier and therefore easier to kill.

I liked Carol's "storytime" lessons. She shouldn't have to do so under cover though. Each one of those kids needs to be able to defend themselves, and so do the sheltered adults of Woodbury for that matter. For all that Rick wants them to have a normal childhood, part of their normal now and for the rest of their life will be killing walkers.

I didn't find any of the new characters this episode particularly interesting. Here's hoping next episode gives us more reason to care about them.

Animeniax
Wed, 10-16-2013, 12:53 PM
They probably did rush Carl's return to normalcy a bit, but we'll see how he reacts to the next dire situation that requires him to make a choice.

I think the prison gives the survivors a false sense of security (kind of like how it gives people outside a false sense that the wicked are separated from society and will learn their lesson during their confinement). I mentioned how they sleep with the cell doors open, and yeah they should have some sort of night patrol. However, I think the threat could only come from inside because the walkers outside the gates don't pursue unless they sense there is fresh meat. I wonder how long a walker will pursue its quarry once it is out of sight/hearing.

I was also wondering about clearing away dead walkers. They had that long scene where survivors kill walkers along the fence, but the bodies didn't pile up, and they mentioned how more and more were coming every day like you said.

I like that they are making Carol into something more than a victim, but it's hard to shake how weak and useless she was in that first season. I thought for sure she was zombie bait early on, but she's out-lasted pretty much everyone.

Penner
Mon, 10-21-2013, 06:33 AM
New ep out!

Animeniax
Mon, 10-21-2013, 10:39 AM
I don't know why but I'm not feeling it with this new season and this latest episode didn't change that. It's a natural progression after the craziness of the last season that they should look inward at the group and their prison setting, but the story just isn't compelling. Maybe it's their complacency or how disparate and disconnected the main characters seem to be. All the new characters are dying off or generally unappealing. Hopefully it gets better.

Penner
Mon, 10-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Aww shit, just watched the second 'Talking Dead' ep and they show a pretty awesome preview scene for the next episode :eek:

darkshadow
Mon, 10-21-2013, 06:13 PM
This shit is so boring, I think I'm just gonna shelf this till the season's over.

Sapphire
Mon, 10-21-2013, 08:18 PM
Everyone's hating on this? It's way better than the barnyard shit in season 2.

Kids learning how to defend themselves in a post apocalyptic world should be a given, so it shouldn't even be an issue. Carl is retarded for acting all pompous towards Jamie Lee Curtis when he himself is a kid with a gun (or capabilities of using one).

Not really a fan of how they're introducing new characters just to kill them and ONLY them off. Throw in the old guy and the Margie (or whoever Glenn's gf is), and a few cast members now we're talking. Hell, wipe out the WHOLE cast and bring in new people, like in Skins! Awww yeah, then shit would get real.

But then you have Carl, who mysteriously came back from the brink of "being a sociopath", as Ani posted... and Rick, who mysteriously doesn't want to carry a gun anymore.

lol this is so true. If CarlRick accidentally shot his son or something, it'd make sense.

Animeniax
Mon, 10-21-2013, 11:57 PM
I liked season 2, but that's probably because it was fresh and the character set was more engaging with Shane and Lori. I'm with you, the core group needs a change, but they didn't last this long because they don't know how to survive. Meanwhile these others from Woodbury never had to fend for themselves, so of course they will die off.

I think the chemistry of the core group is weak, with everyone kind of in their own 2 man cliques (Rick and Carl, Glenn and Maggie, Daryl and Carol) with small interactions like Rick/Daryl and Carl/Carol and little adhesion to the whole. I don't think it's a good idea to kill them all off, but they do need a change. Maybe they can show a second group's adventures that will intertwine with the main group down the line (though that kinda happened in season 3 already with Woodbury). But really Rick needs a love interest.

Penner
Tue, 10-22-2013, 09:34 AM
I read some time ago that they might make a Walking Dead spin-off series following completely different people that isn't in the comics, and set in a different setting/location etc... can't remember all the details but you can probably google it quite easily :P

Animeniax
Tue, 10-22-2013, 12:29 PM
Two shows about people goofing up while trying to survive and fight off zombies? Ugh, no thanks. They need to work on this show and make it better. Though from what you said, it sounds like the comics are holding the show back. Are the producers trying too hard to adhere to characters and storylines from the comic, that don't work in a tv medium?

Sapphire
Tue, 10-22-2013, 12:38 PM
As far as I recall, the events of these episodes aren't even in the comics. spoiler: The governer shoulda gotten the townspeople to chase them out of prison! So they're basically pulling a season 2 barnyard fiasco and staying at the same location -way longer- than in the comics.

But lol @ "they should work to make this show better instead of starting ANOTHER", and agreed. If the ratings decrease enough maybe it will just be sequestered into a web series. Though, the fact that they feel confident enough to have ANOTHER spinoff for who knows how long doesn't make me very hopeful about the future of the world. The characters are just going to INDEFINITELY live in a zombie apocalypse? No world changes will ever come?? It actually seemed like the universe was going somewhere when they went to the CDC...

Or maybe the spinoff will actually have some shit being done to actually cure the zombie crisis. That isn't very conducive to pumping out money indefinitely, though.

Animeniax
Tue, 10-22-2013, 12:40 PM
Right now I think people are still watching simply because it's TWD. From what people have said about season 2, I'm surprised they are still watching. Now that BB is over, it may help the longevity of TWD, but not the satisfaction or excitement. They need some major changes to fix those.

Alhuin
Fri, 10-25-2013, 10:33 AM
I'd just like to comment that the series is WAY different than the graphic novels, so it's not being held back because of that. Like Sapph mentioned, they've overstayed their welcome in several places comparatively. The novels are also a lot darker, and many characters have either been ignored or changed. The downfall of the series right now is the fact that it IS so different, in my opinion.

Regardless though, I thought this episode was decent. Slightly unbelievable that an entire cell block could have been attacked/turned before anyone ran screaming for the rest of the group. You'd think the grunting noises, sound of flesh being eaten, and gurgled screams would be enough of a sign. Aside from that though, I'm actually kind-of glad their killing off most of the new people. They're nameless faces right now, most of them... fodder for whatever is going to force them to leave the prison. I was never really a big fan of taking them all in at the end of season 3, but I understand it was necessary. The only main cast members I'd be willing to kill off though is Glen and Carol. Mostly because they've been pretty much useless the entire series, and I actually like Maggie(s actress).

Was anyone else more upset about the pigs than the dad, by the way?

Also, I wonder if the person feeding the walkers and burning the infected is someone we already know or someone that will be introduced later on.

KitKat
Fri, 10-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Yes T_T I was cringing the whole time he was slicing up those piglets and sending them to die. I suppose it makes sense if the pigs are sick that they would need to dispose of them to keep anyone else from becoming ill, but it was a horrible end for those little piggies.

Also, I wonder if the person feeding the walkers and burning the infected is someone we already know or someone that will be introduced later on.

I thought it was that older girl feeding the walkers, because she wanted Nick to survive. But maybe she doesn't have the skills to catch mice. You can never tell with post-apocalyptic kids these days. I think whoever burned the infected is someone different, someone who doesn't want to take a chance with the safety of the group and took matters into their own hands. It's a logical conclusion, albeit not the most compassionate or teambuilding course of action. The motive for feeding the walkers is something else entirely, stemming from a warped sense of reality, or a darker desire to have the walkers break through into the camp. I'm fairly sure those midnight feedings are responsible for some of the clumping behaviour they've been seeing among the walkers.

It's nice to see trust being built back up between Rick and Carl. And I'm glad Rick is going to let Carol continue her weapons lessons.

And ewwwww eyeball through the fence *grossed out*

All in all, this isn't a show that can accommodate a large cast of main characters, and does much better when focusing on a smaller group. We're starting to get back to those dynamics, so the question is - at the end of all the purging, who will be left alive, and who will be zombie fodder?

Sapphire
Fri, 10-25-2013, 02:19 PM
Feeding the walkers mice? I say it was a crazy mofo who was eating the mice.

(more interesting!)

Animeniax
Fri, 10-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Those were fucking rats, not mice. Big difference, as in cats vs bobcats or dogs vs wolves. And they showed someone feeding the zombies, just not who. It was someone inside the prison, so it couldn't have been that crazy girl in the forest.

I actually like Maggie(s actress).

I think they need to kill Glen and keep Maggie. I think her character is wasted as his gf and not much else. She should be a love interest or a leader.

The pigs squealing as they were attacked by zombies was more heart-wrenching than that over-long and slightly obnoxious death scene for the dad. Got kinda annoyed how close Rick let the zombies get to him before Daryl would drive on.

Sapphire
Fri, 10-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Like someone said before, all of the (important) characters are freakin' apathetic and traumatized! Yet they are somehow still luxuriating through the plot with no motivation to do anything whatsoever, really. Yet, still being killed off (unimportant characters) like shooting fish in a barrel, so that's pretty funny I guess.

We need some epic moments like in episode one(?), where the military just came in and started firing on civilians because society had come to that point and it was terrifying. Or suspenseful moments like when Glenn and Rick walked through the crowd of zombies covered in zombie pretending to be zombie. Or even just Michonne being badass and using her sword more. Doesn't have to necessarily be action-packed, but watching people get killed off and the rest of the cast just go ":< hmm, let's have more babies?" is getting tiring....

Animeniax
Fri, 10-25-2013, 02:40 PM
I think they need a destination, instead of just holing up in a place and getting stale. If you get to play "The Last of Us," it was a lot of fun moving from place to place, like a journey with adventures at each location. It would be perfect for them to do a scavenger hunt sort of arc, where they have to find something or someone in one place, then go to another, then another before reaching their goal, which could be a research lab or another settlement of people. They need a grander purpose besides just surviving and making occasional runs for supplies.

Alhuin
Fri, 10-25-2013, 04:29 PM
As much as I bashed it previously, I actually understand the reasoning behind wanting to stay at the prison. This show is about surviving in a post-apocalyptic zombie-infested world... it makes sense to try and stay in a safe location for as long as possible. I don't like it as far as plot-progression goes, but it's perfectly reasonable. Until the walkers break down the fence or the maniac inside starts going on a rampage, the prison is the safest place for them for now. It may be "getting stale", but it's exactly what anyone else would do in the same situation. Being on the run means never having secure shelter, or enough food, or even enough clothing/protection for weather. Plus, there is always the fear of coming across another herd of walkers. Eventually it will happen, yes... but I accept and understand their desire to stay as long as possible.

As far as finding a cure, or a research lab... I'm sure that possibility still exists, but they're going to be hard-pressed finding a place that still has all the advanced technology required for creating/finding a cure like the CDC in season 1.

I think they just need to make their way to the coast and acquire an island, as someone mentioned previously. Other than the pigs, it appears wildlife has been spared the disease, so I'm sure there would be plenty of food available. And if rick found Cucumbers and other plants before, surely he can do it again.

Animeniax
Fri, 10-25-2013, 06:14 PM
What makes sense and what is entertaining are completely exclusive of each other, else people wouldn't die in slasher movies so easily. The group could survive in the prison for 10 seasons, but who would watch that? I think there's more drama in movement, encountering new threats, gaining new group members, and new discoveries.

I'd really like to see them occupy the top floors of a highrise or tall hotel.

Sapphire
Sun, 10-27-2013, 11:58 PM
Running commentary while watching:

What the hell was that cold open? My suspension of disbelief can only be stretched so far. The bearded black guy suddenly goes all streetfighter on Rick's ass, then Rick goes super saiyan on him in return? Wat. I know they're under extenuating circumstances and all, but it seems like the only reactions to death are complete apathy or near psychotic breaks. Never thought I would ask for a happy-middle reaction, lol.

Anyway, I bet D'Angelo (the black guy who got caught under the cabinet) is the psycho who burned the infected! He's the only newcomer the show is kinda focusing on. kinda. If it really is him, I quit this show. I hope the killer is actually Jamie Lee Curtis or something.

EDIT: Wait, I actually guessed correctly? That's rather ironic. !___! Rick obviously isn't going to do anything about it, though. Meh. At least it's understandable that she did it, since she's been going out of her way to ensure the safety of the camp, even at risk to herself.

Carl is the worst. He's a hall-monitor with a gun.

The bearded black guy is now the worst (written) character in the show. He's a total loose cannon. D: What a waste, since we all know loose cannons end up dead...

Thank God for the old guy, he's the only voice of reason! Damn it! He went all Naruto on everyone's ass and defied others to save others. Never thought I'd be so happy to see a shounen archetype on a show... It feels like the only one who's stepping up to do what's (actually) right, without being violently narcissistic or all out cray cray in the process. There's risking yourself, and then there's just half-assed attempts at suicide and pretending it's for other people, like what most of the people on this show do.

Meh. This show is frustrating, might drop until they stop doing these retarded prison episodes.

Penner
Mon, 10-28-2013, 01:45 PM
Jesus christ, watch this weeks "Talking Dead" with Marilyn Manson as a guest, is he fucking high or some shit? lol

I don't know much about the guy though, maybe he is like that all the time?

I'm typing this as i'm watching it, and it's the ramblings of a madman when Manson talks, it's hilarious lol

Animeniax
Tue, 10-29-2013, 10:57 AM
Decent episode, somethings actually happened, though it's all still setup for later events.

@Sapphy: yeah it makes sense that Carol killed those 2 sick people, considering she's teaching little kids how to knife zombies and kill people before they turn (their own dad even).

I think they're making Tyrese the loose canon (similar to Shane in previous seasons) and the story will revolve around the others dealing with his shenanigans. From the introduction of this character, you could tell he wasn't fit for living this kind of life (he was a bit of a wuss at Woodbury and wanted to believe the Governor's idyllic bs) and now with all this death and chaos he's falling apart and acting out. So at least they're continuing with his character development along a sensible path.

@Penner: He tries real hard to be that way, it's part of his counter-culture personality.

I'm annoyed with how the show tries to create tense moments by making people do dumb stuff. Last episode it was Rick and Daryl leading the zombies away with the pigs, waiting until the last second to drive off. This week it was Carol cleaning the water pump.

Penner
Tue, 10-29-2013, 02:42 PM
'Walking Dead' renewed for season 5 (http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2013/10/amc-renews-the-walking-dead-for-a-fifth-season/)

Not really surprising news :p

Alhuin
Thu, 10-31-2013, 01:36 AM
I was not expecting the revelation of the killer. I figured it would be the black doctor dude or someone we hadn't met yet... but that was shocking. I guess we can no longer refer to her as a weak victim. *shrug* Of course, killing them and burning them could be two unrelated instances. Miniscule possibility, but worth mentioning just in case.

Did anyone else think the radio broadcast was much clearer in the trailer? I could barely even make out the words in this episode, but I seem to recall it being something along the lines of Resident Evil: Afterlife, with the whole "There is no infection here". Maybe they were using audio from a future scene, I guess.

I hope the whole sickness arc is cleared up within the next couple of episodes. Things are becoming as stale as season 2's farmhouse.

Animeniax
Thu, 10-31-2013, 08:23 AM
I think it was anti-climatic that it was Carol, kind of matter-of-fact and not as shocking as it should have been. It's nice that they've changed her from a weak and abused old lady into a strong and capable person, but I could care less about the character. I think they should concentrate more on developing other characters.

Also, Rick as a detective is kind of ridiculous. Police officers/sheriffs aren't all mystery sleuths; most are rank and file paper pushers and traffic ticket writers who can't sleuth their way out of not getting diabetes.

And does anyone else think it's weird to see previously racist and anti-social Daryl driving around with 3 black peoples? I'm sure the writers meant to show how people change because of the circumstances of world destruction, but it's just funny to see.

Animeniax
Mon, 11-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Latest episode is pretty good. Two teams head out looking for medicine and supplies and discover stuff and decide on things. Definitely a lot more going on than at the prison.

Spoiler:

Rick convinces Carol to leave, which wasn't hard to do knowing Tyrese would kill her when he found out she killed those 2 sick people. Found some hilarious comments on the WD fb page, including this:

KitKat
Wed, 11-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Latest episode is pretty good. Two teams head out looking for medicine and supplies and discover stuff and decide on things. Definitely a lot more going on than at the prison.

Yeah, I agree. This was my favourite episode yet. I keep waiting for someone to turn on their car radio and pick up that transmission again. Methinks that's going to be the plot hook that they follow when the prison needs to be evacuated.

It didn't make sense to me how the hippie couple has survived so long without being able to knife a walker or kill one without a gun. Barring situations like Woodbury, it's been a really long time since the initial outbreak and every group of survivors has been hard pressed to fend off the walkers almost constantly. Even Carl has killed his share of walkers. If the two of them couldn't take out a single walker, they didn't have long to live anyhow.

I was surprised that Rick told Carol to leave. I knew he'd have to do something to address it, but I thought they'd be dealing with it in the community. Perhaps it was Carol's lack of remorse that scared Rick more than Tyrese's blind rage. Maybe Tyrese, for all that he's the 'loose cannon' right now, is more human and more relatable than Carol in her current state. Anyhow, it was good to see Rick stepping up and reclaiming his authority.

Will Rick tell the people back at the prison the truth of what he did, and why? Carol is pretty well-liked and well-respected in the community. Not to mention she's Daryl girlfriend, and Daryl has been pretty stubborn in the past about not leaving his brother, even when his brother was a total psychopath and tortured people for fun. I wouldn't be surprised if Daryl went out, found Carol, and brought her back, giving the finger to both Rick and Tyrese.

Animeniax
Wed, 11-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Yeah that would be a good direction for the show, the crew heading out on the road in search of the source of the radio signal. It's both hopeful and exciting/scary to see what they discover out in the world. I think everyone has had enough of the prison, which is as much a deathtrap as it is a safehaven.

The entire hippie couple scene was awkward and I think just a plot device for Carol and Rick's power play. It helped Rick's justification for asking Carol to leave, which as you said was a good demonstration of Rick's leadership. I think it was the best move, both to create more story paths (Carol is off on her own, maybe picks up some strays to join her, Daryl goes off to find Carol) and to extinguish a potential bloodbath if Carol returned and Tyrese went nuts and Daryl had to fight Tyrese.

I think at this point they should develop the side main characters some more, though to be honest I don't care much about any of them. I liked the doctor they picked up, as he gave more of a scientific spin to the show, but then they killed him off.

Alhuin
Wed, 11-06-2013, 08:58 PM
http://tinyurl.com/lz9jfqo

A discussion with one of the shows producers about the most recent episode.

Note the end of the second paragraph where it mentions "Plenty more twists are ahead, you will not see them coming." This, of course, sounds like a challenge to me, and now I want to try and think of every possible direction the show could take, just to prove that statement wrong.

UChessmaster
Wed, 11-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Maybe they'll actually follow the comic is based of? that'd be a twist.

Animeniax
Thu, 11-07-2013, 12:16 AM
From what I'm reading at this point they're so far off the comic storyline that it'd be hard to get back on track. Do you agree or disagree with that?

They hinted at it but I'd like to see new types of walkers, maybe more dangerous or more mutated. They did this in "The Last of Us" and it made the zombies a lot creepier and deadlier, especially the clickers who were attracted by sound.

Alhuin
Thu, 11-07-2013, 02:25 AM
I totally agree. I only read the synopsis of the graphic novel up to the prison arc, but even from there, the TV series has completely bypassed major events. And other events have been twisted and changed so dramatically that there is no way of coming back from that. I could give you some ideas, but I'd prefer not to spoil too much in this thread.

It's still possible that certain areas of the novel will be explored, but at this point, the two are only related by setting, in my opinion.

It's kinda like with the Resident Evil movies.

UChessmaster
Thu, 11-07-2013, 04:19 PM
From what I'm reading at this point they're so far off the comic storyline that it'd be hard to get back on track. Do you agree or disagree with that?

I think it can be done, I wonder if we can talk about comic book things since the producers claimed they're going a different path now.

Animeniax
Thu, 11-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Since the comics have been out a while, I don't think it would be spoiling to discuss what happens there, especially if the moment has passed on the show. I guess they could always use comic story elements in the show but moved around or in different scenarios though.

Considering all the hype and excitement for the show you see elsewhere, is it just us geek/fanboy types who are unhappy with its direction? The show seems to be going strong and has a 5th season on order.

UChessmaster
Thu, 11-07-2013, 06:22 PM
It's mostly comic readers that don't enjoy the show. As for the show/comic, it can easily pick up at the Hunters arc or have ricks group move to Alexandria; the place they move after the prison.

Animeniax
Thu, 11-07-2013, 07:27 PM
I haven't read the comics and I don't like the show all that much either. I think it's missing some elements of a good show and other parts have gotten stale because of all the zombie movies and post-apocalyptic stories I've read. But you're right I don't think I dislike it as much as comic readers who have something to directly compare it to.

UChessmaster
Thu, 11-07-2013, 08:01 PM
I found season three repetitive, what's up with every chapter having a scene shooting zombies in the forehead with pinpoint accuracy?

poopdeville
Thu, 11-07-2013, 08:07 PM
I found season three repetitive, what's up with every chapter having a scene shooting zombies in the forehead with pinpoint accuracy?

They've all had lots of practice.

Animeniax
Thu, 11-07-2013, 10:49 PM

Exactly, a lot of the show is repetitive, and killing zombies is no longer a cool, gross, or satisfying experience for the characters or the audience. It seems like a tedious chore. Like I said earlier, they need to do something to make the zombies scary again. Maybe a smarter zombie like in I am Legend can lead groups of zombies to hunt the survivors. Or maybe a shrieker that makes blood-curdling screams as it chases people.

Alhuin
Fri, 11-08-2013, 02:11 AM
See, I disagree. A smart zombie is not a real zombie to me. A mutation would be acceptable, but hardly believable in the current situation. Generally, science is involved in any undead mutations, and there hasn't been any foreshadowing of such research/development. It's possible they could use something along the lines of, as time passes they become more accustomed to smelling/hearing/sensing a living being and thus are able to react to it's presence much faster... but something that makes blood-curdling screams would just be ridiculous right now.

I will agree that the show is being repetitive, though this mostly stems from the fact that it's much easier/cheaper to film in one central location (hence why most of season 2 was at the farmhouse). They will leave the prison eventually though... just have to be patient until then.

Lastly, don't forget that this series was not designed to be about the zombies. Yes, they are a major factor, but the whole idea is surviving after the zombie apocalypse. It was never about killing zombies to make it cool, gross, or satisfying. It was about doing what needed to be done to survive. This is why human interaction is so important to the story. This apocalypse set humanity back hundreds of years. How do the survivors handle living in a world like that? That's what the story is trying to tell. That's why it makes sense to hole up in as safe a place you can get for as long as possible with people you know and trust. And that's also why it makes it so easy to run across people like the Governor (who was much more violent in the novels, by the way). AMC will do what they need to do for entertainment/ratings... but if they continue to follow the true spirit of the novels, then we're not going to get Zombie Apocalypse part 2. There's already enough of that out there.

Animeniax
Fri, 11-08-2013, 07:56 AM
I agree with most of your points, but I'm also interested in entertainment value and that's where this show is lacking. We've seen enough survival in post apocalyptic world scenarios and they get stale after a bit. It's not unlike superheroes, where they are no longer the focus and instead their evil villain enemies take center stage... people the audience gets bored even at watching a man fly.

I don't think a show called "The Walking Dead" should focus so much on the survivors. Their actions and interactions will be pretty limited based on the threat they face, so to base the show on that limits the entertainment value. It would be like showing people living in a bomb shelter post nuclear war. That would get old for both survivors and viewers after about a month.

When you talk of Zombie Apocalypse 2, do you mean that they find a cure or a way to defeat the zombies? Or do you mean that they continue to live forever in this post apocalyptic world?

UChessmaster
Fri, 11-08-2013, 09:43 AM
Yet the tag of the series is "Fight the dead, fear the living."

Animeniax
Fri, 11-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Yet the tag of the series is "Fight the dead, fear the living."

What part are you arguing, where the series is going or what they should focus on? They've been doing what the tag line says for 4 seasons now and it's grown stale, particularly with the way they've handled things. In a post apocalyptic zombie scenario you have 3 things to worry about: zombies (the dead) and bandits (the living) and getting supplies. They've covered all of those to the point of tedium in the first 3 seasons.

This season seems to be internal struggles, but its between and among characters you don't really care about. Like this Bob guy with his alcohol dependence. Are we supposed to feel bad for him or is he simply going to be a dbag so we can cheer his inevitable death by zombie bite?

Photo from their fb page. Lori looking pretty hot... they need to find a way to bring her back on the show. Also I hate it when hot chicks make dumb faces.

UChessmaster
Sun, 11-10-2013, 06:52 AM
What part are you arguing.

My point is essentially that the comic have been doing the "fear the living" part sucessfully for pretty much over 100 chapters now, the only reason the tv show is struggling with this is because they pussyfied the governor and dont have the balls to show real villains like thomas (no, not tomás), the hunters or negan, so im afraid the show will be stuck in a loop until the ratings cancel the show.

Alhuin
Sun, 11-10-2013, 12:11 PM
Don't forget the twins Ben and Billy. They totally ignored that part of the story, even though it was a major growth point for Carl.

EDIT: I'm reading over the Wiki again to refresh my memory, and goddamn... If I had even the slightest doubt before, I don't now. The only way this show is ever going to get better is if it's pulled from cable.

Animeniax
Sun, 11-10-2013, 01:35 PM
And reinvented on premium cable or just off air altogether? You can't be suggesting network tv would save it or give it the liberties that basic cable provides as far as gore and violence. BB had no issues with being on AMC. I think it's just more interesting subject matter and better written than TWD.

I don't think it'd be too late for a pair of twins to lead Carl astray. He's still young and impressionable.

UChessmaster
Sun, 11-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Yes they can still have the twin, and for the record, i think the twins are more related to the notion of kids not quite understanding the new world they live in as opposed to growth for Carl

Alhuin
Mon, 11-11-2013, 01:58 AM
The whole point of the twins, though, was that Ben was the first human Carl had killed after Shane. Shane was in defense of his father, but Ben was in defense of the entire group. He wasn't backed into a corner... it was premeditated thought. It was the moment that Carl started becoming a real character instead of just Rick's son. When he started being "badass", as I like to refer to him. The part about "children not quite understanding" can still be applied, but it doesn't change the fact that that was a very important situation in Carl's growth. If they include them now, it wouldn't have as much of an impact. We've already seen Carl go down that road, however bland it was.

Also, @Ani: I mean premium cable. And you've got to be joking if you think that that wouldn't provide it with more liberties. Just look at Dexter and True Blood. Basic cable has gotten better about treading the line over the years, but they still have limits. Is this series good as it is? Sure... even with the stagnating content, I still think it's one of the best shows on TV. But it could be so much better.

--------------------------------------------------

As for the episode: The only thing I can say is that that was quite a twist. I really wasn't expecting that to happen until either the season finale or next season altogether. I figured they'd want to flesh out some more "story". I'm looking forward to next week's episode now though.

One final note: I forget to mention this after last week, but it looks like the one black chick is actually Tyrese's sister... not sure why I didn't catch on to that before.

Animeniax
Mon, 11-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Also, @Ani: I mean premium cable. And you've got to be joking if you think that that wouldn't provide it with more liberties. Just look at Dexter and True Blood. Basic cable has gotten better about treading the line over the years, but they still have limits. Is this series good as it is? Sure... even with the stagnating content, I still think it's one of the best shows on TV. But it could be so much better.

A move to premium cable would not do much besides allow them to kill other humans in more horrific and visceral fashion, which I don't think would help the show. There is already plenty of killing and blood splattering, though tame and somewhat boring. BB didn't have any issues with showing gore and murder on basic cable, why would that stop TWD? Because it wouldn't bring anything new to the show, just more of the same. I guess they could improve the show with more skin or sex scenes if they were on premium cable...

edit: pretty good episode (by TWD standards), good amount of action and slowly progressing through the mystery illness and the end of their time at the prison. I got tired of watching Hershel try to retain peoples' senses of humanity and civility while endangering himself and everyone else. I thought we'd seen the last of Glen but unfortunately not.

Alhuin
Mon, 11-11-2013, 11:54 PM
There is already plenty of killing and blood splattering, though tame and somewhat boring.

Exactly. The whole point of the series is how fucked up the world is after the apocalypse and how to survive it... which means coming into contact with fucked up people that do fucked up things. The TV series' Governor is a kitten compared to the comics. Not to mention the people UChess pointed out in a previous post. Basic cable doesn't have the ability the depict these characters in their true manner. That's all I was trying to say.

I get that you don't read the comics or even like the series that much... so from your point of view, it's pretty gritty as it is. But I reiterate my previous comment: "It could be so much better".

As for Glen... I'm banking that he'll make it through the illness only to die at the hands of the Governor. That would be an unseen twist, right?

Animeniax
Tue, 11-12-2013, 07:48 AM
Yes but I don't think more gore and blood will make this show any better without a more interesting story and characters. If the governor had been any more crazed and vile, I don't see that that would have made season 3 any better.

I bring up again the case of Walter White in BB. He was on basic cable and his character was very messed up and did fucked up things, most of which wasn't unnecessarily gruesome or violent for violence's sake, but fed a storyline that was worth watching. I guess TWD just doesn't have that, but I don't think a move to premium cable and the additional ability to show depravity and baseness will help the show beyond shock factor.

I like the show well enough, or I wouldn't spend so much time critiquing it and wondering how it could be better.

poopdeville
Wed, 11-13-2013, 04:47 AM
I just watched S04E05. Nothing happened. Did I miss anything?