PDA

View Full Version : TV: Louie

Munsu
Mon, 09-06-2010, 11:27 AM
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/2060/fxlouie.jpg

Anyone here watches this show? I started watching it recently and it's pretty good. It features Louie C.K. playing himself in a 30 minute dramedy. We get portions where he's doing his stand-up comedy bit and then cut to some scenes from his life.

I think it's quite funny and different enough to make it fresh.

Season finale is tomorrow, 2 episodes.

Anyways, worth giving it a shot.

Show is on FX on Tuesdays.

Set to premiere June 29, Louie is a comedy filtered through the observational humor of Louis C.K. Each episode puts a spotlight on Louis' hectic life as a successful stand-up comedian and newly single father raising his two daughters. The single-camera comedy is a mix of Louis C.K.'s stand-up comedy and scripted short films. Louis C.K. serves as executive producer, writer and director, and Dave Becky and 3 Arts are executive producers. FX has ordered 13 episodes of the series which is shot in New York.

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/louie/

Sapphire
Mon, 09-06-2010, 11:58 AM
This is the best dark comedy show ever. It's crazy and funny and sad and insightful.

Every ep is great, and we get to see a lot of hilarious never before seen standup. I almost cried during the Jesus Christ ep. I loved the bully and how we got to see why he became one. The "making love" episode is great as well lol! Possibly the most "what" way to teach a seven year old about sex maybe?

Munsu
Mon, 09-06-2010, 01:00 PM
I haven't gotten to that one yet. I'm watching the one with the blond chick who interrupts his act and he starts flamming her, that was awesome.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Mon, 09-06-2010, 02:03 PM
This show is really profound way ahead of almost everything else on tv. Along with its fellow FX show 'Always Sunny it is one of the best dark shows, but Sunny keeps the throne in my opinion. This is a close second.

The episode where he goes down south was what threw it over the edge of hilarity for me.

SHES A GREAT BIG FAN OF YOU lmao kissing the cop hhahahathat was incredible writing.

Munsu
Fri, 06-24-2011, 11:17 PM
Show returned last night, will watch the episode over the weekend. Anyone see it yet?

XanBcoo
Sat, 06-25-2011, 12:22 PM
I missed it, as well as the premier of Wilfred.

Both look amazing and I can't wait.

rockmanj
Sun, 06-26-2011, 08:33 AM
It was amazing. I think this may be one of the most honest shows on television. I would say it is also one of the best. From what I hae read, at least the first four shows are of the usual high caliber. I LOL'ed when he flipped his daughter the bird.

Munsu
Sun, 06-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Just watched the episode, and it was completely awesome. I have to say that the fart scene was one of the funnies scenes I've ever seen in my life.

Sapphire
Sun, 06-26-2011, 10:16 PM
I was so into it, then all of a sudden, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

rockmanj
Mon, 06-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Just watched the episode, and it was completely awesome. I have to say that the fart scene was one of the funnies scenes I've ever seen in my life.

I really like how he handled writing that...it could have come off stupid, but for some reason, it worked. It is hard to believe that Louie writes, directs, and edits all this himself and it comes out as fantastic as it does.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Tue, 06-28-2011, 03:44 AM
Ehh first episode was alright. The coolest thing for me was how the gay hispanic dude was the same gay hispanic dude that stole the armoir kramer was supposed to be guarding on seinfeld circa 20 years ago.

Wilfred looking to come out of nowhere and surprise me taking the best new series award..... at least from me.

Uchiha Barles
Fri, 07-08-2011, 01:42 PM
I just flew threw season 1 this show is fucking hillarious. There are just too many moments that had me laughing to tears, like the girl he was out on a date with running from him and onto a random helicopter while giving him the finger. I nearly died xD.

Sapphire
Fri, 08-12-2011, 07:37 PM
This is a really good ep. Middle DL link.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/15q1ue

Sapphire
Sat, 12-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Louie CK has a new stand-up special (http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/5839446/Louis.C.K.Hilarious.2010.HDTV.XviD-FQM.5839446.TPB.torrent).

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Sat, 12-03-2011, 07:51 PM
God damn you. I got all excited. The online special I been waiting for is around the corner and I thought this was it, nay I continue to wait. The 10th.... 5dollars to stream and dl it. Think imma buy it I fucking love him he deserves it thats for damn sure.

rockmanj
Sat, 12-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Louie CK has a new stand-up special (http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/5839446/Louis.C.K.Hilarious.2010.HDTV.XviD-FQM.5839446.TPB.torrent).

Ah, I believe this has been out for a while.

XanBcoo
Sat, 12-03-2011, 10:15 PM
Yeah, Hilarious has been out for almost a year.

Here's a clip from Talking Funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J0RQ4A3jvE

Sapphire
Sun, 12-04-2011, 08:09 AM
I watched that, it was funny, but the mutually masturbatory yet pretentious praise was really annoying.

Comedian 1: When did you first know you were funny?
Comedian 2: *Leans back in chair, all nostalgic* Well I was always funny, man that was so long ago, before I became rich and famous and perfect, ah, we're so cool, we have such epic times, ah.

XanBcoo
Sun, 12-04-2011, 12:07 PM
How did you come away from it with that??

They spend an hour evaluating and dissecting each other's approaches to comedy and share stories about what works or doesn't work for them. They're not comedians because they're "funny". They're comedians because they work quite hard to create jokes and stories that reflect their personalities.

It's pretty clear that none of the 4 involved see comedy as an easy job where they just sit around and make people laugh at dumb shit. If they give each other empty praise (and they don't) it's because they recognize the work that's been put in to a lifetime of coming up with material that works.

Sapphire
Sun, 12-04-2011, 12:13 PM
They're not comedians because they're "funny". They're comedians because they work quite hard to create jokes and stories that reflect their personalities.

Did you even watch the whole special? I am quoting the conversation practically verbatim.

And almost all the current comedians say they became comedians because they were the 'funny' kid and like talking about when they "awakened" to the fact that they were funnier than everyone else.

I love listening to comedian podcasts and every once in a while they get together and start stroking their own egos and each others egos, because they're famous, as if I'm watching the cool kids table in high school all over again.

XanBcoo
Sun, 12-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Did you even watch the whole special? I am quoting the conversation practically verbatim.
Yes, and I obviously came away with a different message than you did.

And almost all the current comedians say they became comedians because they were the 'funny' kid and like talking about when they "awakened" to the fact that they were funnier than everyone else.

Who?

At the very least, for guys like Louis CK, Gervais, etc. I know and have heard them talk about what makes good comedy. They have a pretty good understanding of what it means to connect with an audience and share a unique experience. And it's not just "being funny". Here's Louis talking about Carlin during a memorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R37zkizucPU

"I want to be funny"

Also it makes me cry.

rockmanj
Sun, 12-04-2011, 02:01 PM
"I want to be funny"

Also it makes me cry.

You sentimental fool! Great post though; I love listening to Louie. I liked talking funny, as shop talk fascinates me, but sometimes Gervais is a little much (although I can understand why).

Animeniax
Fri, 09-21-2012, 09:49 PM
I imagine most of us are still watching Louie in it's third season. I just watched the 3-part Late Show episodes, and while it started slow, it had an awesome feel-good ending.

I was wondering if there really is animosity between Louis and Letterman, as Louis used the arc to really rip on Letterman. Also wondering why guys like Chris Rock and Jerry Seinfeld didn't mind portraying themselves as two-faced snakes in the 3rd episode.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Sun, 09-23-2012, 03:37 PM
I really doubt there's all that much bad blood between them. It didn't really seem as tho Louis was taking any shots at Letterman either.... but who knows.... I haven't seen Louis on the Late Show as of late, If my memory serves me well.

The Chris Rock and Seinfeld bits were so sweet. Of course they don't mind, this show is all about walking on that highwire of reality and fiction and yet somehow still pulling off excruciating brilliant moments of exaggeration mixed in between... Even tho I'm sure that Louis has run into people somewhat snake-like, obviously Chris Rock and Seinfeld aren't those people. This is the one show everyone (who matters) is watching right now. So I'm sure they enjoyed their devilish roles as themselves.

Animeniax
Sun, 09-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Well Louis did end the episode with a big "fuck you" to Letterman. He literally says, "fuck you, Letterman" as he gives him the one finger salute outside the Sullivan theater (I think I saw him give the middle finger, have to rewatch to be sure). Reading up on the relationship, it seems there is/was some sort of riff between them where Letterman wouldn't let him perform on his show. In the episode, one of Louis' friends even calls Letterman an asshole. While that may just be a fake story for a tv show, a lot of Louis' material is based on his real life.

As for Seinfeld and Rock, I doubt either would not care about portraying themselves as backstabbing snakes. Fans know them for their comedy routines and acting roles, not their true selves or the dark underside of show business. Rock didn't really present himself badly, just warning Louis to watch his back... but then putting himself up for the job. But Seinfeld came off as sleazy trying to convince Louis he had no chance at winning the host gig. The other angle that fans have presented is that Seinfeld was trying to ease the pressure off Louis by telling him he had no chance, trying to help the studio in its bargaining with Letterman. These fans may be on to something, or they may just be Seinfeld apologists.

Either way, people think of comedians like Seinfeld and Rock as these funny guys who tell jokes. They don't want to see the shenanigans and reality that most comics are pretty tragic people.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Sun, 09-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Either way, people think of comedians like Seinfeld and Rock as these funny guys who tell jokes. They don't want to see the shenanigans and reality that most comics are pretty tragic people.

They do. Thats exactly why people like this show. They're sick of the filtered bullshit, the sitcoms written by Harvard graduates. We love this show for stuff like that.... because its real.

Animeniax
Sun, 09-23-2012, 08:37 PM
They do. Thats exactly why people like this show. They're sick of the filtered bullshit, the sitcoms written by Harvard graduates. We love this show for stuff like that.... because its real.

More like they like this show because they are tragically hip and looking for am ironic way to stick it to the system. "Comedians have a dark side to them? Oh, the irony!"

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Sun, 09-23-2012, 11:21 PM
Or tragically intrigued with interesting people. Louis CK happens to be near the top of my list. But I'm also a standup junkie so its hard not to be mystified with someone doing something original, not just on the stage but behind a camera as well.

Shame Louis doesn't frequent around the podcast world so often. His WTF with Mark Maron episode is still one of the most honest interviews I've heard. Right up there with Rolling Stone's of Lennon. Tho if he spent any less time writing new material for his show AND standup then we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. He'd just be another one of my favorite stand-ups for his first 3 specials and you probably would have never heard of him.

rockmanj
Sun, 09-23-2012, 11:35 PM
Kind of funny how he won the Emmy for writing, but not performing. I think his performance as an actor on Louie are pretty underrated.

Animeniax
Mon, 09-24-2012, 12:25 AM
Or tragically intrigued with interesting people. Louis CK happens to be near the top of my list. But I'm also a standup junkie so its hard not to be mystified with someone doing something original, not just on the stage but behind a camera as well.

Shame Louis doesn't frequent around the podcast world so often. His WTF with Mark Maron episode is still one of the most honest interviews I've heard. Right up there with Rolling Stone's of Lennon. Tho if he spent any less time writing new material for his show AND standup then we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. He'd just be another one of my favorite stand-ups for his first 3 specials and you probably would have never heard of him.

Yeah, you were into him before it was cool. What will you do now that he's mainstream?

Kind of funny how he won the Emmy for writing, but not performing. I think his performance as an actor on Louie are pretty underrated.
I've read similar opinions about his work on the show. Some people think he's just "being himself" so he doesn't deserve any accolades. But according to Louis, the character is him x100, so he is indeed acting a role.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Mon, 09-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Just "being yourself" in normal real life situations is easy. Doing it in a scripted format, against other actors, in front of big cameras and lights, while you're also directing.... thats a bit different. I call that good acting.

Yeah I guess I'll just continue to watch everything he's on and quote him repetitively. Thats probably what I'll do. You still don't get to have any judgement towards me tho since you're hardly even a fan (you proved that with your last post alone). Not really sure why you're even posting in here other than to be your usual sanctimonious douchebag self.

Animeniax
Mon, 09-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Sorry I don't just accept whatever is spoon-fed to me and instead question things and wonder about stuff. I'm glad everything is so obvious and a matter of course for you, but I know you don't know Louie or Jerry or Chris any better than anyone else to the point you can say they don't care about how people see them, or how you can speak for all the fans of the show and why they like it.

I post because I want to talk about the series, even critically. Sorry I'm not the super fan you are who just loves everything about the show and questions nothing.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Mon, 09-24-2012, 02:07 PM
I never said they didn't care about how people see them. I said in the context of this show its pretty clear they're playing stylized versions of themselves, just like Louis. If you watch this show, you know that. If you don't watch this show and you think they're seriously portraying themselves in some biographical manner, you're a moron. I'm glad you're looking out for the morons Animeniax, someones got to.

There are a bunch of things I don't necessarily love during the course of watching an episode. But I think that is what makes this show so ineptly special; It doesn't try so hard to be liked by the broadest audience 100% of the time. It makes the good parts seem that much better, its what every good piece of art should be.

Anyway enough back and forth lets talk more about the show.....

At first I wasn't sure what to think of the Jack Doll (i think his name was) character. The guy who "trains" Louis in the last 2 episodes. He was obviously off putting, you could tell he's seen tons of people come and go. I love how he hits us with these people who are clearly meant to put us off. He doesn't have any funny quips or some sweet side to him. He's just a person who is there to be tough on Louis and kick his ass a little bit. And he gets his laughs thru inanely funny shit, like his interaction with the hilariously muted 'Boy Agent' who is usually quite talkative.

Anyway if you want me to talk about episodes that I could find something to really critique and get into, then we'd have to go back a few. Because in my opinion the last 3 have been nearly flawless to the point where I'd have to rewatch them to find something that stands out that I didn't appreciate.

Animeniax
Mon, 09-24-2012, 02:10 PM
I thought the last 3 episodes were awesome by the end, but the lead up felt weird and out of character for the show. He didn't do his standup scenes, and there wasn't much comedy during the arc. But it was a feel-good arc that expanded the horizons of the show. I really liked the final workout scene at the end of the 3rd episode. I like when fat people get off their duffs and try to improve themselves.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Mon, 09-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Whats interesting about him working in a gym with a personal trainer on the show is that he's actually been doing that for a few years now. And he's said that the show is based very much on him, but moreso a couple years in the past.

Also I too was bummed out that they cut the "viral interview" from the episode. If they ever taped it I guess we'll never know. But I immediately thought it was pretty clever. That kind of thing is really difficult to script and pull off well. Viral videos mostly just happen, and for us to be the judge as to whether the Leno-Louis back and forth would have truly gotten that massively popular is tough.

I think the cool thing is that you could take his video from him on Conan that went viral years back, and put it right in there.

**More weird stuff I know from listening to hours of this guy talk on the Opie and Anthony show.... his trainer was Mickey Ward (i think thats his name) if you've seen the movie The Boxer with Mark Wahlberg and Christian Bale, he said the guy Christian Bale plays was actually his trainer and he still talks to him today. He said he even took him on tour with him.

Animeniax
Tue, 09-25-2012, 12:20 AM
Wow, that's cool to learn that Mickey Ward was his trainer. What I don't get though is that if he's been training/working out a bit, why he was looking progressively in worse and worse shape in the episodes this season including the first two before the 3rd episode of the arc. I couldn't help but notice how heavy and slovenly he was getting, which I chalked up to his recent success the past few years. Maybe he put on weight in order to highlight the work he put into getting the Late Show gig.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Tue, 09-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Naw, he's just a fat fuck. There's never really been a big difference in his appearance. But I've never even met the guy, just basing it on his old standup.

Maybe he got fatter again? Idk. Doesn't really bother me. He's not insultingly fat, yet.

Animeniax
Tue, 09-25-2012, 12:03 PM
He slimmed down noticeably by the end of the third episode in the arc. Not at the end scene in the gym, but that wasn't sequential with the events before it.

rockmanj
Tue, 09-25-2012, 12:16 PM
I am not sure if you knew it, but the guy playing Jack Dahl was David Lynch (yes, that David Lynch). I had no idea what he looked like before this show, and I must say...what a weird dude.

Animeniax
Tue, 09-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Yeah I had read that. I know his work, but didn't get the significance of him in that role. I think he did a great job playing a seemingly out-of-touch network producer.