PDA

View Full Version : Qn regarding Steam:

depthcharge
Sat, 08-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Playing different games on same Steam account.

Is it possible to log into Steam account XXX, using computer XXX and play, eg Fallout 3 while using computer ZZZ to logged in to Steam account XXX to play Borderland?

Figure I ask this question here rather then the Steam forums as I am more comfortable here. (I did try to search and read in Steam forums and the forum here but didn't find this particular scenario.)

Archangel
Sat, 08-21-2010, 12:55 PM
I'm gonna go right ahead and say no, if that was possible me and my friends would all just share the same steam account and have like 100 games on it

darkshadow
Sat, 08-21-2010, 01:33 PM
I don't think either games in your example require steam to just actually run....

But for the sake of your question in general. Unless the game requires some kind of online validation, you could easily just run Steam in offline mode.

Ryllharu
Sat, 08-21-2010, 03:11 PM
If I'm not mistaken, doesn't offline mode on one computer de-authorize the others ability to do the same? Steam won't let you log in to two different computers, so having Offline Mode on a number of computers would be a pretty big loophole in the otherwise lenient DRM. I'm checking the steam documentation and I'm not finding a lot of details on the particulars.

On a separate note, if you're playing FO3, you should be playing it through FOMM (Fallout Mod Manager) to make use of all the juicy mods (better textures, more armor/clothing, better companions, etc).

darkshadow
Sat, 08-21-2010, 03:20 PM
No it should work just fine.
Just make sure your games are all FULLY updated and configured (run them once or so), then make sure steam saves your login credentials.

Then simply restart steam in offline mode or don't be connected to the internet at all, and steam should just login(offline) and you should be able to play everything that doesn't require steam to be online.

depthcharge
Sun, 08-22-2010, 01:17 AM
It certainly does throw a wrench in the clock. For me, the pass couple of days after I bought Steam games. The constant "update" during the log-in and the sluggish response during Steam startup is less then stellar. (it seems like bittorrent might be causing the conflict, I gotta close it before I start Steam)

Where do I look for the Fallout Mod Manager? I tried looking in Library/Tools and does not see it.

I would try offline mode for the most part while playing older games that is not multi-player online.However, I am having second thoughts to use a new account for each game I buy. eg scenario If I want to play XXX game and my wifu wants to play YYY game, both online. It will not work using offline mode.

Whats more, we dont get retail CD-keys, which pretty much locks us into using only Steam client to launch the games. I think I would only buy Steam games only if it is at least 66% off.

Ryllharu
Sun, 08-22-2010, 04:42 AM
Where do I look for the Fallout Mod Manager? I tried looking in Library/Tools and does not see it.

Whats more, we dont get retail CD-keys, which pretty much locks us into using only Steam client to launch the games. I think I would only buy Steam games only if it is at least 66% off.Offtopic, but http://fallout3nexus.com/ has all the mods you need for fallout 3. You will need to make a free account to get the bigger mods and some of the texture replacers due to their age restrictions. Don't go too crazy though, I had in the range of 8 gigs of mods installed, eventually making the game too unstable to play. :3

If you want to make your own, Bethesda's G.E.C.K. (http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/Main_Page) website has the toolset and what you need to get them running on their own.

Back on Topic: A lot of my bigger name games came with the CD Key. There is a link on the right sidebar of the "Detail" view interface. Dawn of War II, Fallout 3, Dragon Age: Origins, etc.

darkshadow
Sun, 08-22-2010, 05:39 AM
Plus fallout3 is a GFWL game, the cdkey is only used if you use an online LIVE account to play it, as in sign into games for windows live.
Once you've used it, you never need to input it again, since it will be tied to that account.

Also most GFWL games don't require steam, just run it straight from the exe.