PDA

View Full Version : TV: Mad Men

Sapphire
Sat, 08-14-2010, 12:32 PM
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/9549/245pxmadmentitlecard.jpg

Mad Men is a smart and cinematic drama about the professional lives, social mores and sexual exploits of advertising executives on Madison Avenue circa 1960, when the industry was at its height of glamour, power, and prestige. The setting is the Sterling Cooper agency, which sells everything from cigarettes to political candidates. The protagonist, Don Draper, is a fast-rising creative director whose smooth exterior conceals any number of secrets.

For those of you who like the pace and intelligence of Breaking Bad, I highly suggest Mad Men.

I'm only on episode 2, and I'm blown away by it's insight. The 60's setting is also startling and intriguing to see (people smoking or drinking in EVERY scene, the status of women, etc.).

Also, Christina Hendricks is OMGWTFBBQ gorgeous.

Zati
Sat, 08-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Nice, you're only getting started! I've been following this series from its initial inception to now. Brilliantly crafted show.

I think Jon Hamm was a perfect choice to be the leading man, he has great screen presence and charm. His acting is stellar, too. He very much resembles a classic looking star to me.

Christina Hendricks is very nice, lol. From top to bottom, she is simply stunning to look and drool at. Voluptuous, boobylicious, curvaceous, ravishing, what am I missing? :). I love that she's not like all these actresses nowadays, who are all so skinny.

Her colleague, January Jones, is skinny like the above-mentioned. But, I still think she's pretty, just please don't get any more skinnier.

Yeah, there's a lot of smoking in almost every frame/scene, you always see someone lighting it up. I definitely agree with you, the 60's era is fascinating, people back then had class and style.

Catch up soon, Sapphire!

rockmanj
Sat, 08-14-2010, 05:51 PM
I am really into this show as well, but it didn't seem like a show my fellow GWers would be into. This season is really good, but also really, really dark. Lane was hilarious the last ep though.

Zati
Sun, 08-15-2010, 02:45 AM
Absolutely, very dark.

The scenes Don and Lane shared were extremely funny and entertaining to say the least. Laughed quite a bit. Wild night of debauchery!

They really bonded well in the episode, but I guess it's because they can both empathize with one another now.

Don: We're going to the movies.
Lane: Do you think we should?
Don: Does Howdy Doody have a wooden dick?

rockmanj
Sun, 08-15-2010, 08:17 AM
Well, I don't know about empathise. They are in similar situations, sort of...and they coped with it the only way that Don could think of. The gist of it came at the comedy club: "They're not queers, they're rich!"

Animeniax
Sat, 09-03-2011, 12:39 AM
I'm sure everyone has heard of this series on AMC. I'm wondering what all the hype is about. I saw the first episode and it's got some appeal, but nothing that will keep me watching.

What's with them trying to pass off Peggy as a babe? She's not an attractive woman, in my book.

I like the 60s racism and chauvinism, it's a throwback to better days. But still not enough here to make me want to watch more than one or two more episodes.

Uchiha Barles
Sat, 09-03-2011, 01:27 AM
I'm supposed to start watching this at some point. I don't really know what the show's about, but I know Christina Hendricks is in it, and that's enough. I'll keep watching as long as the support provided by my obsession with her isn't overburdened by an otherwise boring show.

Animeniax
Sat, 09-03-2011, 01:31 AM
Oh that's the girl from Firefly. She's pretty hot, but I don't know how big her role is in the show. Right now she's the mother hen to all the new secretaries at the ad agency. Since it's an AMC show based in the 1960s, there won't be any nudity and not much skin, as was the style at the time.

Sapphire
Sat, 09-03-2011, 07:40 AM
They don't think Peggy is a babe. She's a prude and they all pick on her. (In the beginning at least)

Hendricks is sexy and I think there's already a thread about this.

Edit: What happened to the movies & tv threads from before '10?!

Penner
Sat, 09-03-2011, 09:36 AM
I don't really watch this show, just popped in here to agree that Christina Hendricks is awesome, loved her since i first saw her as Saffron in Firefly ^^

Uchiha Barles
Sun, 09-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Just watched episode one and that was brilliant. I've already made it a point to not empathize with any of the advertising execs, they are quite clearly the devil. The way Don played Rachel like a fiddle near the end of the of the episode was masterful. I like where this is going, even if I'm going to hate the main characters...hate them in good way.

Sapphire
Tue, 04-09-2013, 02:37 PM
Episode 1-2 just came out this Sunday.

-

Anyone else getting tired of Draper's brooding? I mean, at some point you just gotta deal with your choices.