PDA

View Full Version : Movie: The Legend is Born: Ip Man

Killa-Eyez
Thu, 08-12-2010, 01:42 AM
..Waiting for the movie about this legend in his youth. Seems both Yuen Biao and Sammo Hung (who both played in the series Wing Chun and are good friends of Jackie) have leading roles in "The Legend Is Born: Ip Man"..

Thought it deserved it's own thread, since it's not an official part of the Ip Man movies.
No Donnie Yen also. But it's a prequel to the stories that took place in Ip Man and a more true-to-life take on Ip Man's life. Trailer looks good and a cam is out, no subs though. Patiently waiting.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 08-12-2010, 04:26 AM
Yuen Biao is in this? Awesome, since that guy is too. :D

Psyke
Thu, 08-12-2010, 08:22 AM
No Donnie Yen = No go for me. I bought the first 2 movies on DVD, pretty awesome.

Uchiha Barles
Sun, 08-15-2010, 10:36 AM
I absolutely LOVED prodigal son, and I was squealing like a pig in exitement when Sammo popped in to reprise his role in the series version (one of the most epic moments in any movie for me). Sammo and Yuen Biao deliver Wing Chun gold so I'm no doubt going LOVE this as well. Martial Arts movies have been so very excellent as of late xD.

Killa-Eyez
Sun, 09-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Can't say it was excellent, story wise, but it has nice action scenes. It was a good movie in my opinion but nothing special. It's fun to see some of the cast from Ip Man in this movie. The rivaling master who has the indoor sparring session with Ip Man, he plays his dad, and the peasant with his northern style plays his adopted brother. Too bad Sammo had a small roll, would've loved to see more Sammo VS Yuen. There's a blu-ray rip out on the net. Excellent quality, decent subs.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 09-17-2010, 11:15 AM
There's a blu-ray rip out on the net. Excellent quality, decent subs.

I was pleasantly surprised. 720p, ~100 minutes in length, 1.6GB and no blurring in action scenes.

It's cool how they found an actor to play the young Ip Man who shares quite some similarity to Donnie Yen. It makes immersion a whole lot easier, and in general a better watch than seeing a completely foreign cast. Likewise, casting Sammo Hung in exactly to same appearance as his role in Ip Man 2 played tricks on me even when I know damn well who he's supposed to be.

The girl who they grew up with was pretty cute, and I'm sure I would have liked her more if she wasn't so jealous and being so obvious about it.

It's interesting how he mentioned that he wants to teach Wing Chun but subsequently dropped it when he lived in his mansion, only to teach it again in Hong Kong. The first transition was never really explained.

I didn't use the subs, so I can't comment on that.

Torrent Here (http://isohunt.com/download/208263349/ip+man+legend.torrent)