PDA

View Full Version : Shiki: Corpse Demon

masamuneehs
Mon, 08-02-2010, 07:08 AM
So, of course I have found only one of the newest animes (outside of fansubbing) in the past month, to be anything more than mediocre, and, of course, it's the one that doesn't have a topic on this forum.

GotWoot? how far you have fallen!
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/531/shikianime.jpg

During a fiercely hot summer in Sotoba, a peaceful and quiet village with a population of 1300 people, a series of bizarre deaths begin to occur. At the same time, a strange family moves into a long abandoned mansion in the region.

I've been watching the episodes from a group called 'Umee' This is not one you're going to want from bad groups, because it is heavy on time-stamps, and name printings.

edit - the good Vampiric Minion Kraco has found umee torrents. See below.

Good cast, music, and proper use of SFX. Art style is crisp and often gets the spooky aspect dead on. Premise and execution are gold, and I like most of the characters. Pacing is a bit wacky, especially in the first episode. Surprisingly funny at times. This is my pick for 'serious anime of the summer'. In fact, I think it's the only serious anime of the summer...

Kraco
Mon, 08-02-2010, 08:14 AM
Episode 1 - umee (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=torrentinfo&tid=142678)
Episode 2v2 - umee (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=146037)
Episode 3 - umee (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=146041)
Episode 4 - umee (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=147701)

- - - - - - - - -

I found it funny how the fancy style girl died so early. In fact that made it somewhat hard to deduce who's the main character of the show - assuming it even has one. After the girl died, I expected the dude she was dreaming of (Natsuno; Shinta reminded me of the name) to die soon as well and thus considered him a poor candidate for a main character. I have only watched three eps so far, and after those the doctor seems like a character who might manage to stay alive for a while. I still expect the dude to draw the short stick. I should watch the fourth ep to see if he already did.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-02-2010, 08:19 AM
I thought it was obvious that Natsuno is the main character. Am I alone in this thought?

Episode 4 freaked me out a little bit, and that is pretty hard to do.

masamuneehs
Mon, 08-02-2010, 09:19 AM
i was shocked 'pleasantly so' when the girl actually did die. after they found her i had this bad vibe like 'now she's going to be a haughty vampire girl', but, well... this show seems to be above that. it was also very weird to see the blonde woman from the castle out and about and just talking to people during the daytime...

the weird decay sound effects that they use for 'music' sometimes really gives me the willies.

at first i was really turned off by the "there are at 1300 people in this village and you will meet every one of them before episode 10" approach of throwing all the characters at us right from the get go. it's still ridiculously confusing and i can't remember if some people are related or not or how they know each other. but the important thing is that all of the characters have personalities of their own, and that really sells this series to me.

unfortuantely, i have to agree with shinta. i think that while the doctor needs to be important in this early phase when they're figuring everything out, once it gets passed that, he's vampire food, and it's Natsuno who has to step up.... too bad he's the one character i really don't like...

LunaticCat
Mon, 08-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Really good episodes so far.especialy 4 and 5 where great. But I hope they'll stop with the whole medical-language thing. I can't follow at all :p

I wonder if you can tell whos going to die from the intro (the scenes where the people lose their "skin" and you can see the skull), wich has btw. a nice theme song.

masamuneehs
Mon, 09-20-2010, 06:39 AM
i took a break from this show to stockpile some episodes. watching them now, and, well, i really can't remember a mystery/thriller as good as this one in years.

it's really amazing how well this show is turning out. they haven't choked on the massive cast size yet, and it's amazing how well developed and personalized even the fleetingest of characters are. and this doesn't detract from the personalities of the major players, who all have their nice little wrinkles.

this really is a perfectly functioning example in the "impossible event takes place in the most realistic fashion possible" genre. the whole show is grounded in reality, so the premise and plot events (combined with the ridiculously spooky music and jeepers-creepers effects) really feel like they've got alot more gravity to them, and it just draws me all the way in.

Umee has released episode 11
http://www.baka-updates.com/groups/info/name/Umee

Umee's subs aren't the best. they still have too many typos, but they do a shockingly good job with all of the medical terms and the translation on the whole is more than adequate.

why the fuck are none of you fuckers watching this show? still getting Narutard boners of HotD and otaku chuckles out of loli comedy?

RyougaZell
Mon, 09-20-2010, 08:11 AM
Im watching this, though with Commie taking so long to release an episode I just recently jumped to another group (not Umee... can't remember which one though... and I think I've only watched up to episode 9).

Overall Im quite surprised at the number of named characters with unique personalities.

The Heretic Azazel
Mon, 09-20-2010, 08:26 AM
I have been streaming it on Hulu, it's pretty solid.

RyougaZell
Fri, 09-24-2010, 09:21 PM
I just saw episode 11. What's the deal with the heavy spoilers or fast-forward on the ending sequence??

Buffalobiian
Mon, 10-04-2010, 10:24 AM
I just saw episode 11. What's the deal with the heavy spoilers or fast-forward on the ending sequence??

Dunno, but it has me wondering why 12 isn't out yet... (taps impatiently)

this really is a perfectly functioning example in the "impossible event takes place in the most realistic fashion possible" genre. the whole show is grounded in reality, so the premise and plot events (combined with the ridiculously spooky music and jeepers-creepers effects) really feel like they've got alot more gravity to them, and it just draws me all the way in.

^ this. Straight up no-nonsense vampire lore that works. That's quite an achievement.

I didn't quite get the priest's reference though, and why the loli vampire withdrew after that.

Regarding that "spoiler" ED, I can only guess that the good guy (even after just marathoning it, I can't remember their names, lol) didn't inject or perform any hypnosis on Natsuno, so at least it's voluntary - and he doesn't HAVE to die, as long as he doesn't get sucked dry.

Marik
Mon, 10-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Dunno, but it has me wondering why 12 isn't out yet... (taps impatiently)

Because there was a 3 week hiatus after the last episode. Episode 12 doesn't air til the 14th.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 10-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Because there was a 3 week hiatus after the last episode. Episode 12 doesn't air til the 14th.

Hmm, damn. Thanks for the info Marik.

By the way, I've been watching Owari-subs. They're good.

I hope the priest and the loli vamp continue their nightly meetings. They contrast well with the other people duking it out - and for one their (sort of) understanding isn't derived from romance.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 10-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Okawari - Episode 12 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=167061)

For consistency:

Previous Shiki eps by Okawari (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=search&cat=0_0&filter=0&term=okawari+shiki)

masamuneehs
Sat, 10-23-2010, 04:32 AM
umee released 12 also
http://umee.is-fabulo.us/

what i love, and what endlessly frustrates and intrigues me in this series, is the ploddingly thickening sense of despair. in this episode we got a new cast member who, really, was one of the last big hopes left for the town, but he was attacked just like everyone else.

the kids are trying to fight back, but there's only two of them, and they're not only naive, but easily outfoxed. The biggest show of defense, by the hospital director, was outshown by timely intervention by Tatsumi's infiltrating via the director's unfaithful wife.

Even Yuuki couldn't stand up against Tohru, and his father being swayed so easily by talk of 'sophisticated acquiescence', his mother clearly already having been attacked, the Shinto witch being shamed, and everything else, well, hell. it's the first time in a very long time where i look at a show and say 'the good guys are absolutely fucked'.

the vampires are going to win. they're going to win. and it's not like any of those "feel good" shows where the good guys, upstarts or whoever, put up a good fight, only to have a not world-ending loss at the end. from the way this show looks, and from every single message conveyed in every OP and ED ever (I liked OP1 way more than OP2, but ED2 is pretty nice, baring the standard vampires=nakedness theme), every single person in this ridiculously huge cast is going to end up either a vampire, dead, or party to the vampires' plot (i'm looking at you, Shrine boy).

it's very strange, and i don't know the last time i felt this way, but i'm desperate for some sign of optimism for the good guys. i'd LOVE for them to be able to pull off a victory, and i'm the guy who is always rooting for the bad guys. i think it has alot to do with the fact that the vampires come off as so arrogant and entitled. they not only feel superior to humans, but THEY, the fucking bad guys, have the "we know we're going to win because we know we're in the right" thing going for them, and that feeling's so entrenched in every aspect of this series that i can't help but side with the poor, pathetic, hopeless, fumbling good guys.

jesus fucking christ this show is awesome.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-23-2010, 08:58 AM
the kids are trying to fight back, but there's only two of them, and they're not only naive, but easily outfoxed. The biggest show of defense, by the hospital director, was outshown by timely intervention by Tatsumi's infiltrating via the director's unfaithful wife.

When did that happen? Ozaki's wife let Tatsumi in? I thought Tatsumi was a rare vampire that wasn't bound by any rules of weakness (except maybe you must drink blood or die).

(You're talking about how he entered their clinic and took the recovering grandma right?)

(I liked OP1 way more than OP2, but ED2 is pretty nice, baring the standard vampires=nakedness theme),

Visually, the new OP/EDs wipe the floor with the old ones. OP2 started off pretty good, but it fell short at the end, but I still found it pretty alright. I share your thoughts on ED2.

My only complaint with this show is that stuff takes so goddamn long to happen. It makes the weekly wait too long, and the 23mins too short.

masamuneehs
Sat, 10-23-2010, 10:44 AM
When did that happen? Ozaki's wife let Tatsumi in? I thought Tatsumi was a rare vampire that wasn't bound by any rules of weakness (except maybe you must drink blood or die).

i remember there was a scene where, shortly after Ozaki's wife arrived, she was seen having lunch or something with Tatsumi, and talking to him rather friendly-like. since there seems to be some very typical Japanese sexual tension between the hospital director and his wife, i thought it was something sexual, like, he was used to her cheating on him. It also coincides with the line before Tatsumi enters, which is "We can't come in... unless we're invited." I was rather sure this meant that Tatsumi HAD been invited into the doctor's personal grounds, and although i can't remember what episode it was where he was talking to Ozaki's wife, it's what i think the reason for him showing up is.

i like how this episode really seemed to solve the issue with the disappearing people. they're not being bullied out. they're just being caught and sold as food to the vampires, and it's being covered up with the "oh, they left town" thing. that's really diabolical, especially considering the scene where the lame, squeeky-voiced guy (i never remember his name) first eats as a vampire, killing that small child. ugh.

Tatsumi is certainly something else. he's a Daywalker for sure, just like the male Kanemasa guy. since he has the ears, i was figuring he was some cross between a Japanese style demon (tanuki or some such) and a Western vampire, but I'd need to go back and re-watch all the episodes again to figure it out.

one thing was for sure, those dogs in this latest episode sure explain the mysterious "elimination" of the nearby village that took place at the very start of the series. not sure what the relationship between the dogs and Kanemasa is, but Tatsumi sure seems to be subservient to them in the same way those dogs were, literally, on a Kanemasa leash. He might be special because he's a Daywalker, and maybe more, but I had the feeling that Tatsumi is totally lower-level than the real-deal vampires in the Kanemasa household.

RyougaZell
Sat, 10-23-2010, 10:49 AM
that's really diabolical, especially considering the scene where the lame, squeeky-voiced guy (i never remember his name) first eats as a vampire, killing that small child. ugh.

I was under the impression the guy (I also forgot his name) went to the glass that time. And we didn't see him appear again as of yet.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-23-2010, 10:51 AM
i remember there was a scene where, shortly after Ozaki's wife arrived, she was seen having lunch or something with Tatsumi, and talking to him rather friendly-like. since there seems to be some very typical Japanese sexual tension between the hospital director and his wife, i thought it was something sexual, like, he was used to her cheating on him. It also coincides with the line before Tatsumi enters, which is "We can't come in... unless we're invited." I was rather sure this meant that Tatsumi HAD been invited into the doctor's personal grounds, and although i can't remember what episode it was where he was talking to Ozaki's wife, it's what i think the reason for him showing up is.

I always understood their relationship to be something like an arranged marriage or something where they share no real feelings with each other. It kinda makes no sense since Ozaki's mum hates her though.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-31-2010, 06:54 AM
Umee - Episode 13 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=169300)

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Umee - Episode 14 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=170921)

-------------------------------------------

Holy. Shit.

This show knows how to draw suspense. Despite how the course of events to follow were pretty clearly hinted from Ep 12's (or was it 11?) preview, I sat there watching it all unfold in eager anticipation.

I guess the said could have been said about the series to date as well. We the audience had a pretty good idea they were vampires already as soon as those bite marks came up, but it only hindered the flow by a little. (I'll admit I was pretty frustrated at how "stupid" these people were. They're vampires, how hard is that?!)

I guess an element of horror is where your mind is ahead of what's happening, and you're cursing things bound by the physical realm because they're too slow - like wading from a pursuing monster. Your mind is faster than you (or this anime) are.

masamuneehs
Fri, 11-05-2010, 11:31 AM
i cannot believe how awesome the doctor is. the scenes where he was examining his wife... and then the end of 14. holy shit for real. it's getting bad though, because he's the only one who knows really what's up and who can sound the alarm, but i get the feeling that because he's losing his humanity, that he's going down soon. and i bet all his evidence disappears also.

still, absolutely cold blooded.

I HATE Megumi. that bitch needs to die. i don't care if the vampires get each and every last person in the village (and i honestly do think that's how this is going to end), but that bitch needs to go down. hard.

a fake medical clinic. a fake funeral home. the vampires are really starting to wrap things up, it seems. i honestly can only count like half a dozen good guys who seem to be on top of things and, two of them are kids whose house is open to vampires, one is a mad scientist, one is probably going to end up sympathizing with the vampires, one can only come back as a vampire (and i really don't like that but, well, it will make sense for him to be a bigger threat to them as a rogue vampire than as a human) and one is a seemingly catatonic old man.

the catatonic old man. what in the world is going on with this guy? he definitely has his wits... or something like them. and he's just old, not bitten. but what can he possibly do.

I can't believe that Natsuno bit it. well, in some ways, when he first got bit i thought "okay, now he's gonna come back as a vampire and kill the others" but there's still the issue of what he's going to do for blood... i had hoped he'd manage a way while staying as a human, but...

i think it's good that almost nobody has a complete idea what's happening... aside from the viewers and the vampires. i mean, there's no way anyone would believe in something like vampires, or believe the stories of a some kids or a crazy shaman.

i have absolutely no idea what is going to happen next.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-05-2010, 01:18 PM
I HATE Megumi. that bitch needs to die. i don't care if the vampires get each and every last person in the village (and i honestly do think that's how this is going to end), but that bitch needs to go down. hard.

I'd say the same thing, but at the wimpy guy who looks likes a tranny.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 11-05-2010, 04:09 PM
WTF is with that guy's hair? And his voice? I hate Megumi as well, but I sympathize with her in wanting the creep dead.

Yukimura
Tue, 11-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Finally managed to catch up with this and it is just plain excellent. The drama and emotional tension when the doc was testing his wife felt so real to me and the situation had me completely drawn in. I have no clue how this will all end but I can't wait for the ride to continue.

The thing that has drawn me most strongly into this show is the sense of seeming realism in the characters' behaviors. I can imagine almost all the characters as real people behaving the way that they do and responding as they have to the things they have seen. Even the way the doctor fell apart into apparent apathetic insanity feels within the realm of possibility given his drive to understand and solve the problem and the stress he's been under. But what really shines are the little things like the two young kids' mom hating on their dad or the chubby flabby tub of fat nurse answering the phone in her sheer night gown and panties (worth the brain bleach session for the realism). Stuff like that really helps to humanize the characters a lot more than I'm used to seeing.

masamuneehs
Tue, 11-09-2010, 11:05 PM
above

what you wrote about shiki is exactly how i feel about it

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Umee - Episode 15 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=172952)

Yukimura
Mon, 11-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Another good ep but not as epic as 14. It was cool to see how deeply the vampires have integrated themselves into the town structure cutting off any chance of outside assistance. Seishin's back turning rejection of seems rather hypocritical given that he should know by now that Sunako is a blood sucker yet he never bothers to judge or rebuke her like he did with Toshio. -50 points for Seishin empathizing with the vampires at the expense of regular people who would like the choice of staying alive.

Natsuno's mysterious long coated stranger deal seemed a bit overdone but hopefully he'll come down from the trees and make something happen in the next few eps. I look forward to seeing what he and Toshio can do if they start working together.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 11-15-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm just dying to know what's the deal with Natsuno. His iris is neither red nor yellow, but his own natural purple. His movement smells of vampire, but the fact his eyes look normal, and that he's still got that anaemic look in him leaves enough to consider his faking his own death a possibility. It's not one I put much confidence in, however.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-19-2010, 02:28 AM
Umee - Episode 16 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=174531)

-------------------------------

And so begins the counter attack!! I'm fairly pumped for this, since it pretty much kicked in when it didn't look like anything could be done (right at the end of last episode). People are still dying left right and center though, so it's still open to a "we were to late" type of ending.

I had assumed Sunako was a born vampire rather than one who was created. This in itself doesn't really change how I view her current self, but it does add leave a hint of sadness in your heart to know that they were all once human, without fail. Without any sort of "true" vampire, that means everyone's a victim of some tragic tale.

RyougaZell
Sat, 11-27-2010, 11:17 PM
Umee Episode 17 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=176171)

I never expected this bite o_O

Buffalobiian
Thu, 12-02-2010, 08:15 AM
Umee Episode 17 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=176171)

I never expected this bite o_O

Me neither. I so thought he was going to get out of that one alive. The thing that's got me most pumped for next episode is that crazy hair dude who's glowing red hot in the PV. The overall realistic portrayal of this show simply makes him even more so "What the heck?"

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Umee - Episode 18 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=177431)

RyougaZell
Fri, 12-03-2010, 10:09 PM
This episode was bloody fantastic. Not only we saw Doctor being a wise ass and finally proving the Okiagari's existance to town... but we also saw Ricchan rising and the explanation behind Natsuno, blue-dog-haired guy and the maid.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-04-2010, 12:15 AM
At the same time, the Dr's triumphant smile was almost evil. It was too awesome.

Oniken
Sat, 12-04-2010, 04:04 PM
I must of missed something but what was the significance of the other bite marks on the docs arm?

RyougaZell
Sat, 12-04-2010, 04:10 PM
I must of missed something but what was the significance of the other bite marks on the docs arm?

That must have been Natsuno, meaning the Doctor wasn't obligated to follow the Okiagari woman (forgot name) commands.

Oniken
Sat, 12-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Oh that makes sense, thanks! Excellent show, best for me this season. Shame there is only 4 episodes left :p

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-10-2010, 06:44 AM
Umee - Episode 19 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=178982)

RyougaZell
Sat, 12-11-2010, 02:15 AM
Ritchan TT___TT

Inazuma
Wed, 12-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Oh shit, you le did not.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 12-16-2010, 12:19 AM
Sunako's reaction was exactly what I was hoping for. Her calm leadership cracked (ever so slightly) when Chizuru died. For once, she ordered them to kill (not to feed), though both actions ultimately are for their survival anyway.

Her vampirism being ther most developed leading to her forced sleep during daylight hours was a bit inconsistent. I remember her looking out the window that time when the entire village rocked up to the Kirishhiki's house and Ozaki checked the main guy's pulse.

RyougaZell
Thu, 12-16-2010, 10:09 AM
I think the window was the screw up here. Remember this is based on a light novel.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-17-2010, 03:10 AM
Umee - Episode 20 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=180365)

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-24-2010, 10:14 AM
News: Shiki's 8th, 9th BD/DVDs to Include Unaired Episodes (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-12-23/shiki-8th-9th-bd/dvds-to-include-unaired-episodes)

^ Link provided by Marik.

Perfectly watchable subs below. Play the mp4 file, and load the .ass file to have the subtitles displayed. In MPC, this can be found under File -> Load Subtitles.

Crunchy-subs + 720p Raw - Episode 21 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=181825)

Umee - Episode 21 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=181992)

edit: Shiki - Calendula_Requiem (OP2) (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HOP32U21) / Shiki - Gekka_Reijin (ED2) (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I5Y06OM4)

RyougaZell
Sat, 12-25-2010, 12:16 AM
The townspeople have gone mad. Wow.

Do you have links to the first op and end Bill?

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-25-2010, 01:07 AM
The townspeople have gone mad. Wow.

Yeah. It really goes to show that when the entire group (eg Shiki or humans) adopt an ideology as correct and embrace it, the way it can go unquestioned is scary.

That and killing the other race in the interest of self preservation is not wrong (at least when you yourself are involved).

Do you have links to the first op and end Bill?

Sure. I assumed I posted them for some reason.

Shiki OP1 (song only) (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZKWY7YP5)
[Nipponsei] Shiki OP Single - Kuchizuke [BUCK-TICK].zip (Single+Scans) (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Shiki%20OP%20Single%20-%20Kuchizuke%20%5BBUCK-TICK%5D.zip.torrent)

Shiki ED2 (song only) (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IPK6GLR7)
[Nipponsei] Shiki ED Single - walk no Yakusoku [nangi].zip (Single+Scans) (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Shiki%20ED%20Single%20-%20walk%20no%20Yakusoku%20%5Bnangi%5D.zip.torrent)

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-31-2010, 01:53 AM
Umee - Episode 22 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=183162)

Inazuma
Fri, 12-31-2010, 12:27 PM
This is flat out awesome. Though I will not tolerate at this point a Shiki sided happy ending.

Happy new year

RyougaZell
Fri, 12-31-2010, 04:08 PM
From beginning to end the series was awesome. Though I can't help but feel that the final episode was rushed.

Not only they killed the remaining Shiki too fast in order to finish the plot... Shimizu died to easy after being around for so long. The coward guy we didn't even see how he died.

And for werewolves to be so powerful... they all fell to easy. What was the point of the Kirishiki human to kill the werewolf girl and only kill himself among the fire? Who started the fire to being with?

Did Muroi become a werewolf? Did we really need for him and Sunako to escape? I expected for her to die on the flames by her own will as she had lost everyone already.

What is the outcome of the fire? The town dissapeared and all... but everyone who survived was covered in blood... how do they explain that to the firefighters?

I still think the series was awesome... but I don't think the un-aired episodes will explain any of this since it seem they are middle episodes that were cut out. Probably just episodes explaining how Natsuno's friends escaped and how the coward shiki died.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 01-02-2011, 10:30 AM
And for werewolves to be so powerful... they all fell to easy. What was the point of the Kirishiki human to kill the werewolf girl and only kill himself among the fire? Who started the fire to being with?

I don't think they were easy to kill. Tatsumi got nailed plenty of times before finally dying. You've got to be Alucard to survive a TNT explosion. Kirishiki guy was waiting for werewolves to pass so he could shoot them under Natsuno's command. I've heard that Natsuno started the fire, but I'm not sure if it's a guess or a spoiler. Perhaps the extra episode will show. If so, that'll explain why the Kirishiki died in the fire though - if he was given a prior order to.

I've wondered at whether a person's hypnotism is lifted if their controller dies. Back in that scene where the Kirishiki kills the wolf-girl, the guy she hypnotised keeps walking at the same pace despite her dying. He didn't snap out of a trans or anything.

Did Muroi become a werewolf? Did we really need for him and Sunako to escape? I expected for her to die on the flames by her own will as she had lost everyone already.

I guess he did. I think it would have been more conclusive if he and Sunako died.

RyougaZell
Sun, 01-02-2011, 01:48 PM
I guess you are guessing the Kirishiki guy got orders from Natsuno since we never saw it. A scene from the un-aired episodes?

I would have preferred more scenes of werewolf girl though

shinta|hikari
Sun, 01-02-2011, 07:59 PM
I don't want Sunako to die, for obvious reasons. I wanted the priest to die a horrible death though, but I can't blame him for going so far for a loli shiki.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 01-02-2011, 09:31 PM
I guess you are guessing the Kirishiki guy got orders from Natsuno since we never saw it. A scene from the un-aired episodes?

I would have preferred more scenes of werewolf girl though

After the Kirishiki guy shot the werewolf girl, he rechambered a new round. During that, his right arm's sleeve fell back a bit, and you could see two fang holes in him. His last scene prior to this was in his fight against Natsuno, during which he told Natsuno that he was human.

I filled the gaps.

LunaticCat
Mon, 01-03-2011, 03:58 AM
I filled the gaps.

And you did it correct, i think.

Anyway, great anime. I really liked the "twist" when the villagers had gone mad. It was like "who are the evil guys now?". Really good.
But I think you guys are right if you say the last episode was rushed.

oyabun
Tue, 01-04-2011, 08:06 PM
I'm pissed that the monk survive. He even became a jinrou. That cowardly guy might have survive. I felt bad for megumi, she didn't even see Natsuno. Dying without ever knowing that he was alive..

Buffalobiian
Tue, 01-04-2011, 08:45 PM
I'm pissed that the monk survive. He even became a jinrou. That cowardly guy might have survive. I felt bad for megumi, she didn't even see Natsuno. Dying without ever knowing that he was alive..

Yeah. I always thought he would be the one to kill her.

RyougaZell
Wed, 01-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Megumi's death was pathetic really. It would have been better to be killed by Natsuno... seeing how much she annoyed him. I would have like for her to interfere between Natsuno and werewolf guy (forgot the name) and get killed in the process.

It was a fantastic series with a weak end.

Uchiha Barles
Sat, 01-08-2011, 05:30 AM
Just began watching this two days ago, and now I'm done, it's great when something this awesome slips your radar long enough for it to finish and then you catch on right as it's still fresh yet done xD.

I'm actually quite satisfied with everything that happened. The rather "boring" or "mundane" or "disappointing" ways a lot of the characters happened to be taken out was fantastic. It just puts emphasis on the "steeped in reality" theme that was prevalent during the show. I fucking *hated* megumi, and her death pleased me. She was sooooo close, yet sooooo far from making it out. It's like "omg I'm almos..." *yoink* And no, she never got to even realize her crush was alive, and no, she didn't put up that great of a fight, and yes, she suffered greatly as she died. I think that covers all the checkpoints I had on my list of things I wanted to happen to her. *nods*

That hypocritical priest though...I'm not sure how I feel about him. Yeah he comes across as a hypocrite, but that's only because he wasn't sure of how he felt to begin with, and thus his stance on things could not be clearly communicated to viewer. He was basically just a conflicted character who has come to some kind of resolution, one that's in line with his instinct...meh...I don't like him.

I'm pretty glad some shiki survived. It leaves the possibility in your mind that the world as it was presented in anime will continue, and it's a twisted, interesting world.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 01-08-2011, 07:01 AM
I couldn't make too much sense of the priest's story. It's meant to reflect his character, but I don't feel the click that you get when two pieces in the plot fall together. Either I'm not understanding it fully, or it was a pretty "meh" link to begin with.

fireheart
Sat, 01-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Is there a batch torrent out for the show? Tried looking but only found a raw one.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 01-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Is there a batch torrent out for the show? Tried looking but only found a raw one.

No good ones anyway. Not yet.

Munsu
Sat, 01-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Just watched the first 10 episodes of the series, and this is some good stuff.

We need more Ono Fuyumi adaptations.

Watching the Taka version, so I'll probably take a break at the moment until they're done releasing.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 01-11-2011, 08:40 AM

[umee] Shiki 01-22 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=185446)

Buffalobiian
Tue, 06-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Umee - Episode 20.5 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=220941)

Buffalobiian
Mon, 07-25-2011, 07:25 AM
Umee - Episode 21.5 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=230986)

--------------

This show is brilliant.

Munsu
Thu, 11-22-2012, 01:04 AM
Just finished watching this, loved it. Quite unexpectedly messed up.

Uchiha Barles
Thu, 11-22-2012, 07:44 AM
Yeah, this was one of my favorite shows ever. For some reason, I'm getting similar vibes from Shin Sekai Yori atm.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-22-2012, 08:14 AM
Yeah, this was one of my favorite shows ever. For some reason, I'm getting similar vibes from Shin Sekai Yori atm.

It's the whole desolate village, people going deranged and corrupted setting.

Munsu
Thu, 11-22-2012, 08:51 AM
Though not the same, it reminded me a bit of Monster.

The only thing is that they made the Shiki conveniently weak or conviniently strong depending on circumstances, so didn't like that seeming inconsistency. Also felt that Yuuki could've used a bit more screen time.