PDA

View Full Version : Broken Blade (Break Blade)

Illrenmazou
Thu, 07-29-2010, 10:33 PM
Rygart Arrow is the only one in his world who lacks the inherent ability to power up quartz, the energy source that makes all of the machines run. Nevertheless, he's pretty well connected. The King and Queen of his country of Krisna happen to be old college friends. But so is Zess, the guy who is leading the army of a neighboring kingdom in an attack on Krisna.

How did it comes to this? There's little time to ponder the implications as an army in giant, mechanized battle suits attacks. Arrow just feels like he's in the way - until he comes across a powerful, ancient mech that no one has yet to be able to figure out how to run. But his natural affinity for the suit's operating mechanism may just turn Arrow into the most important player of all.
(From ANN)

[gg]_Break_Blade_-_1_(720p)_[A9337483].mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=torrentinfo&tid=147524)

I'm still downloading it. The fight scenes in the manga were kinda hard to follow so I hope it'll be impressive in the movie.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 07-29-2010, 10:48 PM
Time to see the girl in Ryll's sig animated. This is gonna be awesome.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 07-30-2010, 03:13 AM
[gg]_Break_Blade_-_1_(1080p)_[A406CFAD].mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=torrentinfo&tid=147540)

[Nipponsei] Break Blade OP Single - Fate [KOKIA].zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Break%20Blade%20OP%20Single%20-%20Fate%20%5BKOKIA%5D.zip.torrent)
[Nipponsei] Break Blade ED Single - SERIOUS-AGE [Faylan].zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Break%20Blade%20ED%20Single%20-%20SERIOUS-AGE%20%5BFaylan%5D.zip.torrent)

Penner
Fri, 07-30-2010, 08:22 AM
i will download and watch this if only for the fact it's in 1080p, w00t!!

Inazuma
Fri, 07-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Wait it's like Escaflowne in less freaky and HD.
Dont mind me, watch it.

Penner
Fri, 07-30-2010, 02:50 PM
This was pretty awesome, i want more :P

NeoCybercoin
Fri, 07-30-2010, 03:43 PM
Looked pretty awesome but....12 year old...with those tits?!

Penner
Fri, 07-30-2010, 04:43 PM
Yeah she being 12 took me by surprise aswell, she has jailbait written all over her :P

Buffalobiian
Fri, 07-30-2010, 08:50 PM
I have one issue with this show.

SIGYN IS FUCKING MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!! :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

(all signs point towards it being a ceremonial marriage only though, from the shelved rings and separate sleeping quaters to the lack of intimacy towards Hodr vs Rygart. Apparently Sigyn smiles even more around Rygart than Hodr. Maybe Hodr needed to be married to become King, and other heir-to-the-throne candidates were either subpar, or there simply weren't any.)

1hr episodes are good. I feel that they can pace things right without trying to such to some sort of conclusion by the half-hr mark.

OP/EDs - I held off from hearing them until this episode was out, but I was really looking forward to them due to the artists performing them [KOKIA does the OP, faylan did the ED]. KOKIA's songs have a vastness that really suits this series' landscape, and I liked this song just as much as their previous ones. faylan's ED.... not as much. It's around the average mark, but hasn't got much going for it.

According to ANN, this series will consist of 6 chapters. Is the manga finished, or scheduled to be finished when this is all over?

Ryllharu
Fri, 07-30-2010, 09:15 PM
According to ANN, this series will consist of 6 chapters. Is the manga finished, or scheduled to be finished when this is all over?Not remotely. There are a few good places to stop though.

I have one issue with this show.

SIGYM IS FUCKING MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!Reasons to love Sigyn:
1) She's very dignified, except around Rygart
2) She's also really smart, she spends most of her time doing research or getting interested in technology.
3) She's hot.
4) She's married.

Stick with me here on that last one. It's rather clear that there is a lot going on we haven't seen yet. The separated King/Queen, the real reason Rygart skipped on their wedding (Sigyn wasn't fooled), and the fact that it makes her a Queen. Note that they also pointed out that he doesn't wear his ring either.

Which is rather important, considering the condition that Athens placed on the surrender of Krishna. Rygart is generally a pacifist, as is Hodr, and even supposedly Zess. Yet Hodr implied that he wouldn't hesitate an instant to surrender, even with that condition, if not for Sigyn being his wife.

So that puts her square in the middle of this mess. Hodr would sacrifice himself, but not if she has to be killed with him. Rygart could leave since this isn't really his problem, but he was completely shocked when Hodr told him that. Rygart kept her at a distance since he left the school, and Hodr keeps her at a distance now. Sigyn being married keeps Hodr from sacrificing himself, but it also puts Rygart in the position of serving for her and thereby sacrificing himself (since he unsurprisingly sucks at piloting).

It changes the dynamic completely. It isn't a hero saving the heroine and getting a relationship out of it. As things stand, Rygart has no chance with her. She's the beloved Queen, and he's a nobody. She can't just leave Hodr to be with Rygart. Not without him dying, but that most likely means her death as well.

There is a very complicated dynamic going on between all four of them (Rygart, Hodr, Sigyn and Zess). Rygart, Hodr, and Sigyn all quite clearly care for each other. Zess...it is too soon to say where he really stands, but he'd rather have Hodr surrender than kill him. That in and of itself strikes as odd, since either way would mean Hodr's (and Sigyn's) death.

fireheart
Sat, 07-31-2010, 06:48 AM
There is a very complicated dynamic going on between all four of them (Rygart, Hodr, Sigyn and Zess). Rygart, Hodr, and Sigyn all quite clearly care for each other. Zess...it is too soon to say where he really stands, but he'd rather have Hodr surrender than kill him. That in and of itself strikes as odd, since either way would mean Hodr's (and Sigyn's) death.

Not really since the flashbacks indicate Zess at least cares about Rygart and Hodr obviously thought that Zess wouldn't shot if he knew that Rygart was in the golem. So I'd say they all care for each other and since Hodr said the condition that the royal family has to die wasn't on the paper only conveyed by the messenger chances are that most people no matter which side they belong to don't know about that condition. So if Zess doesn't know about it then it's not really odd as if Hodr surrenders a lot less blood is spillt and no one really dies, only thing that's odd is that he seems rather high in rank from the way they talk about him so he should know about it. It's harder to say what Sigyn thinks and feels since she mostly interact with Rygart in this episode and don't really say anything about Zess but most likely she cares about all three of them.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-31-2010, 06:51 AM
Not really since the flashbacks indicate Zess at least cares about Rygart and Hodr obviously thought that Zess wouldn't shot if he knew that Rygart was in the golem. So I'd say they all care for each other and since Hodr said the condition that the royal family has to die wasn't on the paper only conveyed by the messenger chances are that most people no matter which side they belong to don't know about that condition. So if Zess doesn't know about it then it's not really odd as if Hodr surrenders a lot less blood is spillt and no one really dies, only thing that's odd is that he seems rather high in rank from the way they talk about him so he should know about it. It's harder to say what Sigyn thinks and feels since she mostly interact with Rygart in this episode and don't really say anything about Zess but most likely she cares about all three of them.

I find it really interesting that in all the flashbacks Sigyn hangs back a bit while the other three are always bunched together (regardless of whether they're fighting).

Ryllharu
Sat, 07-31-2010, 07:15 AM
Not really since the flashbacks indicate Zess at least cares about Rygart and Hodr obviously thought that Zess wouldn't shot if he knew that Rygart was in the golem.

So I'd say they all care for each other and since Hodr said the condition that the royal family has to die wasn't on the paper only conveyed by the messenger chances are that most people no matter which side they belong to don't know about that condition.

So if Zess doesn't know about it then it's not really odd as if Hodr surrenders a lot less blood is spillt and no one really dies, only thing that's odd is that he seems rather high in rank from the way they talk about him so he should know about it.While Zess cared about them then (he came off in the way the other three described him as a sort of male tsundere), we don't know if circumstances have changed. It's been four years since Rygart left the Academy. A lot of things may have happened since then.

The only two we know for sure that do know about it are the Athens leadership, Hodr, Rygart, and maybe a few of Hodr's generals. Shigyn doesn't.

So I say it is pretty complicated, and like both you and I said, it is odd that Zess doesn't appear to know about it. You just said it more explicitly and took it to the next logical conclusion. If he did know about it, he wouldn't wonder why Hodr hadn't already surrendered. He would know that either choice means their deaths.

Illrenmazou
Sat, 07-31-2010, 08:15 AM
The 1ist episode was really short. I thought they'll cover chapters 1 to 8. Nevertheless, it was a great adaptation.

Ryllharu
Sat, 07-31-2010, 12:57 PM
I would also like to point out that I the skies and landscapes in Break Blade, despite being deserts, are excellently well done. The country doesn't come off as a bleak post-apocalyptia, it comes off as a very serene mountainous country. Until all the killing starts anyway.

The cirrus clouds are particularly nicely done.

I like how the quartz pieces have cracks running through them, or an iridescent sheen like the Atlas Golem viewscreens. It is a nice touch.

Kraco
Sat, 07-31-2010, 03:49 PM
An interesting setting, both the word and character wise. Hodr and Rygart's level of patriotism seems surprisingly low considering they were promoted military academy students. Sigyn in fact seemed to be the most patriotic of those three, if only due to her dedication to the development of tools of defense. Of course Hodr's willingess to lay down his own life for the country is a form of it, but willingness to surrender the whole country without a fight to a foreign power isn't. In my opinion Zess looked like the kind of person who would be willing to see Hodr and Sigyn dead if he considered it to serve a much great good. A bit zealous sort of a guy.

I hope we will learn something of the history of the ancients before the end. And what manner of a power plant the buried mecha has to remain functional for so long...

Archangel
Sun, 08-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Looked pretty awesome but....12 year old...with those tits?!
It felt wrong...

Other than that and the awful CGI crystal that was encasing the broken blade i felt the series was pretty visually stunning, i loved how fluid the mechas were in close combat and in fast movement

As for the character i can't say i fell in love with any particular one, though i'm quite interested in their circumstances along with the the rest of the plot regarding the ancients

And... yeah, i guess that's it. Looking forward to the next episode.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-02-2010, 03:10 AM
Other than that and the awful CGI crystal that was encasing the broken blade i felt the series was pretty visually stunning, i loved how fluid the mechas were in close combat and in fast movement

That CGI was alright I thought.

PS: Buffalobiian has watched Letter Bee.

Kraco
Mon, 08-02-2010, 03:28 AM
No CGI looks bad in anime after defining the bottom with FSN. I certainly had no problems with Break Blade. CGI in a mecha (or other machine themed) anime is given and won't bother me at all unless it's unusually ungraceful or is applied also to the characters (not counting distant shots of armies).

Archangel
Mon, 08-02-2010, 06:53 AM
Lol, do you have nightmares with the dragon Kraco?

Every time CGI comes up you find some way to mention it :P

David75
Tue, 08-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Rygart was a little too lucky in the way he was to enter that golem and in the way he was out of his fight with the first golem.
Against Zess, he was already able to have basic control of limbs, very quick if you ask me under incredible fighting pressure. I guess he's clever in many ways and only his background grounded him in his fathers farm.

Images/sceneries are nice, animation is nice.
Characters are a bit boring for the moment, but I understand it's hard introducing that many at once plus the background and establish the universe they are living in in only one ep.

The title worries me a little, because you can't do much with only one great mecha, can you?
They really overstressed the fact that even a tiny sleeping foot shot at the pedal, induced an only 3% push on the right leg that threw that golem on the other one with incredible force against that stonewall. They really wanted us to react as "Woow, what would happen with 100%"
But at the same time, Zess bullets inflicted some damage to the exosqueleton. So at 100%, that golem would just destroy everything other than the core.
Why exclude the core, well Sigyn did point out for us that the core is very different in quality than the rest of that golem. So there's room for more exciting discoveries?

Regarding "magic" golems, I can somehow buy the movement transmission. I have more problems with the source of energy you need to move a vehicule or such a mass for long distances... the fact that only moving an arm would require more than the strength of a man. Also, I'd like to know where the energy needed for electronics, hemispheric projection and so on comes from. They have an explanation, for sure.

Now waiting for ep 2

Kraco
Tue, 08-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Rygart is incredibly lucky in the sense his golem is computer controlled. That means, of course, that he doesn't need to do anything extra with all the automatization and intelligent interfaces. So, it's totally different from a dead bulk animated by quartz control.

He needs a gun, though. He can't use the regular ones, so it's an open question how he acquires one. Maybe a railgun?

David75
Tue, 08-03-2010, 03:27 PM
He needs a gun, though. He can't use the regular ones, so it's an open question how he acquires one. Maybe a railgun?
Yes, I was a little surprised they do not have railguns

Ryllharu
Tue, 08-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Rygart was a little too lucky in the way he was to enter that golem and in the way he was out of his fight with the first golem.
Against Zess, he was already able to have basic control of limbs, very quick if you ask me under incredible fighting pressure. I guess he's clever in many ways and only his background grounded him in his fathers farm.
The title worries me a little, because you can't do much with only one great mecha, can you?
They really overstressed the fact that even a tiny sleeping foot shot at the pedal, induced an only 3% push on the right leg that threw that golem on the other one with incredible force against that stonewall. They really wanted us to react as "Woow, what would happen with 100%"
Why exclude the core, well Sigyn did point out for us that the core is very different in quality than the rest of that golem. So there's room for more exciting discoveries?
Regarding "magic" golems, I can somehow buy the movement transmission. I have more problems with the source of energy you need to move a vehicule or such a mass for long distances... the fact that only moving an arm would require more than the strength of a man. Also, I'd like to know where the energy needed for electronics, hemispheric projection and so on comes from. They have an explanation, for sure.
It absolutely was luck. They don't deny it. In fact, I think they covered that pretty well. He has absolutely zero experience with something like this, due to his status as an Un-sorcerer. If you look carefully at his fight with Lee, he really just moves forward abruptly while she's surprised and crashes into her, pinning her. She also fortunately had loaded her rifle with anti-personnel rounds (quartz shot) so they bounced off the armor of the broken blade golem. Had she been using the heavy full sized rounds, he would have been killed instantly. Or, if she hadn't been surprised at the speed, she could have dodged more easily, and shot him when he crashed into the canyon walls. There are a large number of ways that exchanged could have ended differently. He survived this one with pure, dumb, luck.

The 3% actually refers to "Estimated Operative Skill." and he's the third pilot. It implies that he's grossly incompetent as a golem pilot. Everything else, the jumping, the landing on her weapon, all happened while the mech was on autopilot. Upon landing, there is a message saying that it disengaged.

Sigyn said that the manufacturing techniques for the core were different. Meaning that if the core gets damaged, they have no way of ever replacing it like they do with all their current era golems. If anything under the armor gets damaged, it is damaged permanently.

From the intro, "magic" itself means the ability to fully manipulate quartz. The energy comes from the sorcerer. They make different varieties of quartz (hard but brittle, soft and flexible) for various things in order to reduce fatigue and prevent fracturing. The energy comes entirely from the sorcerers, that includes the hemispherical viewports, but how they are doing that with quartz is beyond me.

Communication on the other hand is most likely vibrating and/or resonating quartz.

Penner
Tue, 08-03-2010, 05:51 PM
I'm kinda hoping(wishing^_^) that the Broken Blade golem is faster/stronger than the regular ones and because of that he gets some sort of giant blade for some melee combat awesomeness.

He'd probably still need a gun tho.

NeoCybercoin
Wed, 08-04-2010, 04:21 AM
I think it's safe to say that it's a lot faster then the normal golems. I mean it jumped higher then anything they have ever seen. So there's a lot of power in those legs. Meaning he should be a whole lot faster too.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 08-04-2010, 05:04 AM
I think it's safe to say that it's a lot faster then the normal golems. I mean it jumped higher then anything they have ever seen. So there's a lot of power in those legs. Meaning he should be a whole lot faster too.

Yeah, though with his current skills, the mech's potential is yet to be tapped.

Nice way to "unlock" power-ups, in any case.

For various reasons, this show reminds me of Chrome Shelled Regios.

Archangel
Wed, 08-04-2010, 05:06 AM
I just hope they focus on the characters and not on the mechas

Illrenmazou
Wed, 08-04-2010, 08:47 AM
He'd probably still need a gun tho.
Maybe they'll excavate a weapon stash near the end like in Turn-A. But I hope it won't contain any overkill weapons like a beam rifle. Machine guns and railguns will do just fine.

BTW, during the boot sequence, the Heat Blade System, which I assume is the giant blade sticking out at the back, is experiencing an error. I wonder what it can do if it's intact.

And I loled when I saw Rygart's piloting aptitude is only at 3% :p

koppayana
Sun, 08-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Maybe they'll excavate a weapon stash near the end like in Turn-A. But I hope it won't contain any overkill weapons like a beam rifle. Machine guns and railguns will do just fine.

BTW, during the boot sequence, the Heat Blade System, which I assume is the giant blade sticking out at the back, is experiencing an error. I wonder what it can do if it's intact.

And I loled when I saw Rygart's piloting aptitude is only at 3% :p

I'm pretty sure they'll give Rygart the giant sword that the novice pilot held for 10minutes.

Kraco
Mon, 08-09-2010, 01:47 AM
Yeah, that would seem pretty natural giving meaning to that scene. But still he should get also a projectile weapon. His electric golem might be faster than the quartz golems used by everybody else, but still I feel like it would be too shounen if he all the time (successfully) fought with a sword against cannon wielding opponents.

David75
Mon, 08-09-2010, 01:55 AM
A gun would be nice, but wielding a heavy and destructive claymore would allow nice close combat scenes.
I'd like to have both, if possible.
Also, I'm not sure but I think I remember seeing large broken bullets next to that golem when they got it in the facility. Provided the technology isn't too different from the quartz era, they might be able to deal with it.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-09-2010, 02:13 AM
A gun would be nice, but wielding a heavy and destructive claymore would allow nice close combat scenes.
I'd like to have both, if possible.
Also, I'm not sure but I think I remember seeing large broken bullets next to that golem when they got it in the facility. Provided the technology isn't too different from the quartz era, they might be able to deal with it.

If Rygart could deal with the golem's much higher power output, he could wear much heavier armour than his friendly counterparts, which would turn him into a monster of a spearhead unit along with that claymore.

Killa-Eyez
Thu, 08-12-2010, 01:51 AM
We need ep 2!! Me likey, kinda reminds me of Dolores-I/SEED, metatron/seeds. Without magic...

Illrenmazou
Sat, 08-14-2010, 05:58 AM
And the VA jokes begin:

http://a.imageshack.us/img268/4248/74281203.jpg

A few days ago, we dugged up a piece of mystery machine (1st pic)

According to technicians, it is a product over 1000 years ago (2nd pic)

There lies the ancient pilot... (3rd pic)

The name is call... something like Ki, something Yama, Meh... No one cares who he is... (4th pic)

Anyways, this machine won't activate with magic (5th pic)

So, we want you try to take a look at it (6th pic)

Oh, it moves (9th pic)

This... This is! (11th pic)

Crap, I don't understand English! (12th pic)

Flying? It is flying? How is it possible for a Golem that can fly exist here? (16th pic)

Could it be, This is... (17th pic)

GUNDAM!!! (18th pic)

Give me power!! (19th pic)

What kind of socery is this!!?? (21st pic)

koppayana
Sun, 08-15-2010, 03:36 PM
hmm wouldn't mind a version with that :P

Kraco
Tue, 09-07-2010, 01:22 PM
A twice broken blade:

Episode 2 (720p) - gg (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=156894)
Episode 2 (1080p) -gg (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=156906)

Penner
Tue, 09-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Sweet, been looking forward to this!

Kraco
Tue, 09-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Damn I started to hate Rygart so much. More than Suzaku during CG S1, because at least Suzaku did something even if it was all the wrong things. But this potato farmer tried his bloody best to do nothing and make others do nothing as well. I was surprised he had the (rotten) guts to cause Dan's death and then just shrug it off. The guy must have zero pride. That I can actually understand to a degree due to his unsorcerer past but it still shouldn't mean zero responsibility as well.

I hope he's a changed man now that he dropped his old man's cowardly advice of running from troubles and decided it might not be the best option after all to willingly let his friends die.

His mecha piloting skills need much improvement, though. The fight againt Lee (or whatever was her name) was too painful to watch. Of course it was partially due to his preference of solving everything by running away and unrealistic pacifism but still.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 09-07-2010, 11:58 PM
Rygart's character design reminds me a LOT of Bit Cloud from Zoids: New Century Zero, complete their own ancient, almighty mech.

What made this episode weird for me was that I assumed Rygart took up a reason for fighting (to save his friends' lives) last episode, but somehow completely forgot it after Dan's death and thought this had nothing to do with him.It seems that he either didn't have that much resolve in the first place, or he was betting all his eggs on successfully persuading Zess to stop the invasion ( who couldn't do anything anyway, besides trying to get Hodr to surrender in the most bloodless way possible).

His blaming Dan didn't sit well with me neither, despite how they tried to palm it off as Rygart being "dishonest".

Not enough Sigyn this episode.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 09-08-2010, 01:43 AM
Rygart was an extreme pacifist. That is what Zess, Sigyn and Hodr like about him. He takes a beating without fighting back.

Rygart didn't shrug Dan's death off. He felt guilty and responsible, which is why he started talking nonsense in front of the guy's grave when the general confronted him. It's not an impressive reaction, but perfectly understandable. In the end, the reason he decided to remain was probably to save his friends and take responsibility for Dan's death. I would have been disgusted at him if he kept walking, but he manned up and turned around, so I'm okay with it.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-08-2010, 02:39 AM
Rygart didn't shrug Dan's death off. He felt guilty and responsible, which is why he started talking nonsense in front of the guy's grave when the general confronted him. It's not an impressive reaction, but perfectly understandable

No, it wasn't impressive at all. I would have been alright with him talking about nothing and evading the question, but from memory he pushed it right off onto Dan himself. I could have talked shit in a variety of ways and he picked the worst one.

Kraco
Wed, 09-08-2010, 04:26 AM
Yeah, the truth is that in practice he did indeed shrug it off. Having zero pride and sense of responsibility of course allowed him to do it, but that's even worse. But like I said, it boils down to two things: He was tutored really miserably by his own father to believe he's nothing and thus he can't make any difference. His pacifism is probably derived from that same source. A few moments in the mecha's cockpit wasn't enough to change him - especially since he sucked in most of the things he achieved there either.

While it doesn't change the fact I hated him, I still can understand why a person with no self-respect or dreams and ambitions, who has already given up on everything (even getting a woman), would also successfully convince himself nothing was his fault. It would be pretty much the only way of living for such a worm. He was so detached from reality, like was demonstrated by how he thought everybody would cease fighting if asked, that I wonder if he even really understood he caused Dan's death.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 09-08-2010, 05:09 AM
That is a really exaggerated way of viewing Rygart, but okay.

At least he came back, right?

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-08-2010, 05:23 AM
At least he came back, right?

lol. Yes, it seems like there'll be a Break Blade #3 next month :p

shinta|hikari
Wed, 09-08-2010, 05:33 AM
I mean, he could have been forced back. There will still be an episode 3 if that were the case.

Kraco
Wed, 09-08-2010, 05:44 AM
Yeah. I'm looking forward to not hating him. After all, it sucks to watch a show with an annoying main character. It wouldn't even take awfully much: He would just need to develop a more realistic view of the world (rid himself of some of his pacifism) and train with the mecha until he can kick ass. I don't expect him to become a pitiless killing machine but he should be able to disable an enemy without hesitation or he's going to be a liability till the end.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 09-08-2010, 05:50 AM
True. I wonder if piloting the relic is the same as the newer mechas? If it isn't, it might be very difficult for him to learn quickly since no one will teach him.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-08-2010, 05:59 AM
True. I wonder if piloting the relic is the same as the newer mechas?

It certainly seems like that's not the case. The quartz mechs are controlled by grabbing the knob with your hands and sending commands via quartz control (as if you're telekinetic, pretty much). You feed your commands mentally into the knob, which interprets and executes them. I think there might have been some turning of the knobs too.

Rygart has our more traditional input system with levers and pedals (and triggers?). Only he can discover for himself that pushing the right pedal forward does X command.

The troops should be able to teach him about the best way for golem to move effectively though, he'll just have to figure out the mechanics himself. The only person who could remotely help him in that regard would be Sigyn.

Kraco
Wed, 09-08-2010, 06:04 AM
Piloting it should be very different. I didn't pause the video while watching this but when he landed from some of the high jumps, you could see the screens indicating automatic responses. The quartz mechas have no computer control. They are just mechanical things and the pilot must take care of everything.

Rygart would be well off if he learned to read the old language and basic controlling. The rest would be just battle tactics, weapon use and other stuff that's more or less universal and could easily be taught to him - or actually he should already know much of it considering he was a military academy student.

In short, much reading and sparring is what he needs.

Archangel
Wed, 09-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Wow, Rygart's a loser. Looking forward to not hating him quite so badly next month but for now he can go fuck himself repeatedly

Strangely what i'm most looking forward is seeing 12 year old boobs pissed off in a fight, should be quite something to watch.

David75
Wed, 09-08-2010, 03:30 PM
That ep felt useless. Lee fight again? She was so desperate at how much of a moron Rygart is that she had to put herself to eternal sleep.
I guess the original story is a less contrasted, or should I say black/and white/extreme than the show. Because the extremes here are extremely condensed.
Super strong golem compared to the norm, that only an extreme pacifist can control goes against underaged girls in hard to pilot golems.

The animation was bad at times, especially Rygart's face.

The scenario isn't that good either.

The only thing is that the sceneries, golem designs and movements are nice to very nice.

But I whish they had a breathtaking story to support this, which seems possible with the material they have and 51 minutes episodes to polish things.

Regarding forcing Rygart? well, just blackmail him using his brother. But that's not possible in a country when even the king would have himself beheaded before trying his hardest at resisting.

I wish I like next ep, I know there's room for a good show, but right now I'm a tad disapointed I had to wait so long for this.

Sorry for the novel/manga lovers, I'm sure there are reasons not shown yet (or obliterated due to the medium) that could explain how great Break Blade is.

Penner
Wed, 09-08-2010, 03:32 PM
[Coalgirls]_Broken_Blade_02_(1280x720_Blu-Ray_FLAC)_[8B4E90A6].mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=157074) (3.2 GB)

[Coalgirls]_Broken_Blade_02_(1920x1080_Blu-Ray_FLAC)_[A842164A].mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=157073) (6.2 GB)

Ryllharu
Sun, 09-12-2010, 08:03 AM
[I'm in an essayist phase, apologies in advance. ]

The one thing this series really has going for it is that mecha combat is defensive in nature. A few openings and a couple of heavy ammunition, the enemy is finished. Shield use is common with Krishna's golems because they are much slower than the Artemis models that Zess' team is using. In fact, apparently one of the most fearsome Generals in the series, Sakura, only uses shields. Rygart survived because of his use of the claymore as a shield, and Lee became very frustrated when he used it, despite noting that he was a clearly inferior pilot who can't even attack correctly.

It really sets this series apart from mechas that can take an egregious level of punishment directly on their plates and frames and really only have to worry about which robot has the best weaponry. Defense is never taken into account. Robots should have fragile internals, especially ones piloted by a person. Lee showed this rather well by taking Dan out with one shot even considering her exceedingly damaged golem.

That puts the focus of the combat on tactics. Zess destroyed True's forces by taking the high ground and moving constantly, utilizing guerrilla tactics in their enemy's home territory. Angling armor/shields to avoid taking direct hits, getting inside the enemy's weapons for a clean hit, crushing the armor to crush the pilot inside, maintaining mobility, retreating to avoid getting flanked, the list goes on.

Break Blade is also good because for the most part, the characters act as adults rather than very large children.

These are not boys and girls fighting over who is the coolest (well, some are). They come off as adults for once, most of them (Hodr not included) thinking about their own responsibilities. Zess is trying to do what he views as the right thing given the knowledge he has. He has his own responsibilities, he has his own children already, so he is doing his best to end the war as quickly as he can. Correspondingly, Zess admitted to making foolish decisions about how he treats Cleo and Lee.

It is pretty obvious Zess doesn't know a damn thing about the conditions for surrender. He very likely believes that Hodr will simply be imprisoned or exiled when Athens annexes Krishna. This in turn infuriates Rygart, who does know that not only will Hodr be publicly executed, so will Sigyn.

Sigyn mused on Lee's final words to Rygart. There are hints that mild brainwashing and certainly propaganda being used on a very base level. Krishna might be a more inhospitable place than the former country where the four went to military academy, or Athens itself, but Athens is quite clearly using tactics to develop loyal soldiers from a very young age. Lee was 15 or 16 and she was a pure zealot. There are no righteous wars in this series, but Athens clearly wants its solider to believe they are brining civilization to the unwashed masses or that they are merely subjugating cruel, heartless people for the benefit of all.

As for Rygart, he did a lot of growing up in this episode. I don't think his pacifist stance is wrong. It is the correct viewpoint, and one shared on some level by a large number of the characters in the series, the mature ones anyway. Zess is trying to end the war as quickly and with as little bloodshed as possible. Hodr does not want his own people to suffer if he can take it all on, his only reservation being his hot wife would be dragged into it as well. None of the generals so far like sacrificing their own people, even the stupid ones like True, who offered his own life so his squad could retreat.

The problem, as shown in this episode, is that pacifism only works when both sides are not interested in killing and the loss of life that comes along with it. Rygart got a big slap in the face when Dan got killed. As shinta said, he knew it was his fault. He didn't brush it off at all. General Bard called him out about lying when he is upset. I'm kind of surprised that a few of you just glanced over that statement and assumed Rygart was blaming Dan, instead of himself.

Rygart has accepted that his viewpoint was wrong. His father told him to take the beatings because it shows a level of pride. Rygart was never on an even level with his peers. But that didn't mean he ever had to back down, as Zess noted in the flashback. Running away is also a good strategy when you can't win outright or without heavy casualties, it is sound advice. But now with the Under Golem, Rygart can fight back, he can take the beatings again, rather than having to run away.

I also respect Rygart a lot for sticking to his ideals for so long before realizing they were wrong. There are countless series where some little shithead is a pacifist, a powerful mech falls into his lap, and suddenly he isn't one anymore, instantly. Not to mention the series where their mech becomes so powerful, that they once again decide that pacifism truly is the right idea and adopt it again. They've killed scores of other pilots and soldiers, and suddenly decide that everyone should be saved now that they are strong enough. Where was that zeal when they first got into the machine? Rygart stuck to that as long as he could within reason. He witnessed the folly of that stance without the skill to back it up, directly causing someone's death, and got a further shock upon seeing his pregnant wife. He acted like a child trying to get his cake and eat it too, only to see the consequences. He has (re)gained some of his adulthood, hopefully he won't revert.

As for Rygart giving up on getting a woman, I wouldn't be so sure of that. There is little doubt in my mind he knows what woman he wants, but doesn't want to settle for someone lesser now that he can't have her.

Kraco
Sun, 09-12-2010, 09:23 AM
I think you are misunderstanding me a bit when I said he shrugged off Dan's death. It was made plainly obvious he understands it's all his fault. However, he acted as if it couldn't be helped because, according to his brainwashing by his old man, he is a powerless nobody and thus no matter what he does or doesn't do, it will have no effect in any way. That means that he believed (hopefully it really is an imperfect now) that he can't succeed at anything and thus if he fails or causes other disasters, it's just natural and to be expected - a fate, you could say.

I don't know if I still managed to convey my view understandably. It's kind of hard to put in words.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-12-2010, 10:24 AM
What I was saying about shrugging it off is not verbally admitting it and instead saying it was Dan's. It doesn't matter that he thinks it's his own fault if he can't ever own up to it.

Take an example:

A: You feel sorry for killing C out there don't you.
B: I'm not feeling sorry. It's his own fault bla bla bla
A: I've heard you lie when you're upset. I should take the crap you're saying to mean you're sorry.

Admitting it's his own damn fault is what he should do. Even tsunderes can mutter a half-hearted-sounding apology.

You can say that by staying to fight he's taking action for what he did, but the non-admittance doesn't sit well with me.

Yukimura
Mon, 09-13-2010, 11:55 PM
Good Lord Rygart was a noobtard. I can't say it any better than has already been said above but up until he turned back around I was dead set that this guy was lower than the lowest worm. I can't say I completely hated him though since I'd rather he run away than try to continue fighting with that weak-but-pacifist philosophy. While I find it contemptible that he would acknowledge his own weakness and flee from any opportunity to take responsibility and be courageous in spite of himself I see it as the lesser of the two bad choices he could have made.

However, if he has indeed matured into someone willing to fight in order to defend what he values then I think I can respect him. That said I'm with Buff and Kraco on being displeased with his apparent lack of open acknowledgement over the situation with Dan. There's still time for him to own up to it though and I'm still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt thanks to his main characterness.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 11-08-2010, 01:04 PM
[Harth-Seto]_Break_Blade_Picture_Drama_1_[BD_1920x1080_x264_FLAC][57818474].mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=171733)

---------------------------------

Nice body without needing exercise investment? DO WANT!! :D

Buffalobiian
Mon, 01-31-2011, 02:27 AM
gg - Episode 03 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=190551)

NeoCybercoin
Mon, 01-31-2011, 06:56 AM
[gg] Break Blade 3(1080p) (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=190604)

KrayZ33
Mon, 01-31-2011, 11:15 AM
gosh finally something to watch again

Kraco
Mon, 01-31-2011, 11:33 AM
A lot better episode than the previous one. Not that I'd remember much of it anymore, but reading the old posts sure revealed it had major problems. This one was mostly good, having only minor poor details, like Cleo alone defeating so many enemy suits, which, on the other hand, did nothing but stand around waiting to get disposed of. Somebody should seriously teach these soldiers a thing or two about warfare.

I was especially pleased by the fact I didn't hate Rygart anymore. Sure, he still doesn't kick ass, but at least he went out to fight willingly, even if he wasn't really out for blood. He needs a railgun, though.

Inazuma
Mon, 01-31-2011, 01:14 PM
It was good though I can't see where this all goes with Cleo as a prisoner. Is she going to slowly warm up to her captors or is she going to serve as a reason for Zess to go Berserk when he wakes up

David75
Mon, 01-31-2011, 04:34 PM
A lot better episode than the previous one. Not that I'd remember much of it anymore, but reading the old posts sure revealed it had major problems. This one was mostly good, having only minor poor details, like Cleo alone defeating so many enemy suits, which, on the other hand, did nothing but stand around waiting to get disposed of. Somebody should seriously teach these soldiers a thing or two about warfare.

I was especially pleased by the fact I didn't hate Rygart anymore. Sure, he still doesn't kick ass, but at least he went out to fight willingly, even if he wasn't really out for blood. He needs a railgun, though.

Well, we have to remember those yellow mechs have very high manoeuvrability and speed capacities, so much that only a very small number of people are able to just operate them. And Cleo is high above the best tier of people able to use those mechs. When you see her move at "normal" speed, the others are in fact in slow motion. Or I should write they are at normal speed and she's just in Fast Forward mode.
This has been shown a lot in previous eps, suprise+speed enable this very small team to eradicate lots of enemies like tigers attacking sheep.

You have to take into account the fact she has had the upper hand on Rygart and even was able to beat him hard even with the failsafes... that were enough till now.

And yes, Rigart has had to evolve and become a tainted adult/warior and will have to go further down that slope.
I liked how they choose a very simple, yet effective approach for his attack. I also like that nothing works 100% right at first atempt
and they all have to deal with compromises.
I liked that Cleo, like Rygart and Zess also meet the impossible. Cleo against the General and his experience, Zess agains Rygart, Rygart against Cleo.

Kraco
Mon, 01-31-2011, 05:55 PM
Rygart only lost his chances againt Cleo because he for some unfathomable reason judged the whole battle was over once he disabled Zess's mecha. Instead of shifting his attention to the remaining enemies, like any real soldier would have done, he just decided to stop there to stare at the wreckage. If he doesn't get rid of ridiculous and extremely dangerous habits like that, he won't ever be much of a spearhead - at least beyond an expendable one.

Idealistic
Tue, 02-01-2011, 03:23 AM
I completely forgot Cleo was only 12. And I thought her body was just a coincidence, but I guess even Rygart sees things the same as us!

Buffalobiian
Tue, 02-01-2011, 10:22 AM
I completely forgot Cleo was only 12. And I thought her body was just a coincidence, but I guess even Rygart sees things the same as us!

That was a hilarious reaction from him.. of all things to think of a captured soldier.

I'm not sure I like the current Rygart, but it's definitely different from your normal hero's learning curve that involves coming to grips with the morals of battle and not just the techniques. So he believes he killed Lee last time, but not the guy who saved him.. I'm really not sure if this is just his dishonest lying again..

It does piss me off a bit that Rygart's getting his ass saved by autopilot though. Everybody else learns by falling down. Ah well, guess it's a perk that comes with the mech.. :S

The new enemy mechs better not lose their badassery once they strip their cloak. That'd be a shame. At least Sigyn doesn't.

KrayZ33
Tue, 02-01-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm not sure I like the current Rygart, but it's definitely different from your normal hero's learning curve that involves coming to grips with the morals of battle and not just the techniques. So he believes he killed Lee last time, but not the guy who saved him.. I'm really not sure if this is just his dishonest lying again..

the current Rygart is probably the best MC possible.
he understood that its not possible to save everyone (especially to spare your enemies) and he has to kill.. of course he has problems finishing off his childhood friend but thats fine, he realized that it's totally stupid not to fight seriously if he's up against one of the best pilots he can think of, thus he really went for him and was lucky enough to stop his "rage" at the right moment, but the way they showed it made it seem like it was more luck and not planned at all.. thats a cool thing

also, its clearly visible that he doesn't like killing but he tries to "override" his fears and doubts by talking to himself constantly and assuring himself that it can't be helped (more or less) just like any soldier (in the real world too) would do.

what I want to say is that he is not like the typical gundam seed pilot who is like "I DON'T WANT TO KILL YOU, PLEASE DROP YOUR WEAPONS"right before he slashes through thousands of mechs and families. he was like that during the first 2 episodes and I hated it.

at the moment I really believe that his survior instinct is greater than his will for peace and that he has to play those "mindgames" with himself to keep him from suffering serious mental damage
thats why I think he *knows* that he killed Dan more or less, he said so himself ("I killed 2 people already") but when he is fighting someone he can't admit it anymore because if he did he wouldn't be able to keep going.

edit: mah its kinda hard for me to explain what I meant.

It does piss me off a bit that Rygart's getting his ass saved by autopilot though. Everybody else learns by falling down. Ah well, guess it's a perk that comes with the mech.. :S

I like it. it's more believable this way. Of course, it makes him a prodigy nonetheless(more or less), but its neither 100% *his* doing nor is it 100% the machines doing that way... and the way he canceled that autopilot move was really awesome :D

NeoCybercoin
Tue, 02-01-2011, 02:53 PM
I thought it was badass the way he just bulldozered through that other guy

Ryllharu
Tue, 02-01-2011, 08:20 PM
I like it. it's more believable this way. Of course, it makes him a prodigy nonetheless(more or less), but its neither 100% *his* doing nor is it 100% the machines doing that way... and the way he canceled that autopilot move was really awesome :DSame here. But it doesn't make him a prodigy at all, quite the opposite.

Cleo is the prodigy. Especially considering her young age, when she gets the willpower to do it, she is a beast. Possibly right behind Zess in terms of skill. She admitted she's not skilled or calm enough to handle delicate operations like saving Zess, but she can push a golem to its limits and is tactically minded enough to cause a great deal of chaos. They said last episode that it took most of their group over month (Zess a week) to learn how to consistently operate their new, complicated golems. Cleo took a day. We will see how this new red-haired guy compares.

Rygart is an idiot. He was using barely 3% of the black golem's skill in the first episode, and not a whole hell of a lot has changed. He only accidentally turned off the stability control. If he learned to use the foot pedals, he could leave it off most of the time, and gain substantial maneuverability. That black golem could utterly annihilate anything or anyone if used to full capacity. If Narvi, Zess, Cleo, the generals or even this new red-haired guy could use it, they could win each skirmish of the war singlehandedly, limited only by the operational time of the unit.

I like that he's incompetent. What other outcome could you expect from someone using ancient technology where the control systems manual has to be reverse-engineered by the smartest person in the kingdom (Sigyn), piloted by a person who has literally no concept of how the world's technology operates, and who has never used anything beyond simple machines and hand tools?

Buffalobiian
Tue, 02-01-2011, 09:46 PM
I thought it was badass the way he just bulldozered through that other guy

I thought his solution to "capturing enemies" at first was to bulldoze their legs and leave the body intact. I was so sure of that that it took a little while for it to sink in that he actually demolished that guy.

KrayZ33
Wed, 02-02-2011, 11:08 AM
But it doesn't make him a prodigy at all,

piloted by a person who has literally no concept of how the world's technology operates, and who has never used anything beyond simple machines and hand tools?

thats why I think he's a prodigy but the words "natural born skiller" or something like that might fit better
he's able to fight a battle with this thing even though he never used something like that before if I'm not mistaken

its not like they gave him a gun and all he has to do is to pull the trigger.
judged by the grunts each episodes who are barely able to do anything special at all it must be kinda difficult to control a Golem.

Ryllharu
Wed, 02-02-2011, 12:07 PM
its not like they gave him a gun and all he has to do is to pull the trigger.
judged by the grunts each episodes who are barely able to do anything special at all it must be kinda difficult to control a Golem.
That's exactly what it is like. He's given a gun (a weapon that takes most of the skill out of killing, point and shoot) and is told to pull the trigger (which by the way, is largely the sum of what he does in the cockpit).

The black golem is doing almost all the work. Normal soldiers have to worry about balance, orientation, and speed, etc. It is by no means a simple feat. He just hops aboard and the on-board systems are doing most of the hard work. He's just pointing it where to go, and opening and closing its hands. You're doing a good job at proving my point.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 02-02-2011, 12:50 PM
The fact that Rygart is the only person able to pilot the ancient mech already makes him a prodigy. Just being able to do that, after all, is already exceptional to the point of disbelief in their world.

David75
Wed, 02-02-2011, 12:58 PM
The fact that Rygart is the only person able to pilot the ancient mech already makes him a prodigy. Just being able to do that, after all, is already exceptional to the point of disbelief in their world.

Yup,
But I wish they could place a camcorder inside the cockpit to witness how bad he is... They could also get lots of inputs to be analysed, discussed and beaten into the rookie :D

KrayZ33
Wed, 02-02-2011, 04:11 PM
That's exactly what it is like. He's given a gun (a weapon that takes most of the skill out of killing, point and shoot) and is told to pull the trigger (which by the way, is largely the sum of what he does in the cockpit).

thats like saying modern pilots don't need training and have to keep the machine steady because there are things and mechanisms like flight assistants and such

in episode 1 during his first fight you could clearly see how he learned to move and control that thing on the fly, grabbing a weapon, moving around
you make it sound like he's playing a computer game
where you press the "Q" key and your unit makes a three strike combo with a leap attack

Normal soldiers have to worry about balance, orientation, and speed, etc.

is that so? how do we know
their machines could have limiters which prevent the golem from overreacting and what not too

Kraco
Wed, 02-02-2011, 06:12 PM
where you press the "Q" key and your unit makes a three strike combo with a leap attack

Surely you aren't implying you are one of those lousy players who script macros, Kray..?

Anyway, I'm going to agree with Ryll half-way here. Everything we have seen suggests the mecha was built and programmed so that it would forgive quite green pilots. Perhaps back when it was built they had no choice (too young soldiers kept dying too early, or something) or they did it because they could. It's useless to compare it to planes of our times, though, because no fighter has been even attempted to be built so that it would overly much interfere with the highly trained pilots only allowed to fly them. Though apparently some fighter accidents have been caused by the pilot not fully understanding the computer controlled avionics when performing risky stunts. Still, we already have UAVs and cruise missiles that are only told the route or target and the computer handles the rest - much better than any human could. Targeting systems in any modern military vehicles have long been relying on computers as well.

If the people of the past had the know-how to build mechas like that, they would have zero reason not to implement highly advanced AI to aid the pilot, as long as the pilot is able to control how much aid he's receiving to suit his needs and tastes.

I also highly doubt the chunks of quartz the regular mechas are contain too advanced aiding systems. Limiters at best.

einbreaker
Wed, 02-02-2011, 11:40 PM
At the same time I don'r recall any of the other pilots pushing more than a button, or turning a dial, so I'd hold my reservations on any of them being more or less skilled than Rygart. I mean it's essentially apples and oranges, they are two completely different systems that work try to accomplish the same goal.

Or a stronger point would probably be that everyone is using magic except for Rygart, give him a break.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 02-02-2011, 11:58 PM
At the same time I don'r recall any of the other pilots pushing more than a button, or turning a dial, so I'd hold my reservations on any of them being more or less skilled than Rygart.

That's due to the nature of the quartz machines themselves. You put your hand on the piloting orb, it glows, and you control it telepathically, rather than mechanically.

Rygart's oldschool mech is the only one in the series that uses pedals, levers and throttles.

That being the case, it comes to say that fine movement is much more readily possible with the current quartz mechs, making autopilot somewhat less important compared to training. Unless Rygart's mech has gloves, fine movement of each finger should be impossible, technically speaking.

That said, it seems that amongst all the quartz and silicon modern technology, "computers" haven't shown any emergence at all - and therefore no autopilot.

Kraco
Sun, 02-27-2011, 05:19 AM
Episode 4 720p (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=196684) | 1080p (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=196685) - gg

- - - - -- - - - --

Quite a nice ep indeed. Lots of action, even if most of it made the Krisna generals look pitiful. The new psycho dude is very interesting and potentially the best pilot so far - when the conditions are met. Being a psycho, he's not very well suited for coordinated military tactics, though. That much was unquestionably shown in this episode. If Narvi is intelligent enough as the unit commander, she will let Girghe terrorise enemies on his own. I feel like Rygart is getting the hang of his balls (the jokes were good) and I didn't anymore think he sucked during this ep. He's still convincing himself he needs to become a killer, but that's infinitely better than going around trying not to kill enemies following some unrealistic pacifist idea ill suited for a battlefield.

I'd prefer the larger battles to be more intelligent on both sides and the day not saved by miracle rescues by the main characters - more realistically war like, that is. Although I'd have nothing against surprising strategies, as long as they are believable, which Baldr allowing the rush attack into the obvious trap was not. Stunts by individuals could be saved for the kind of fights Girghe now initiated.

Sigyn continues to be damn cute.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Being a psycho, he's not very well suited for coordinated military tactics, though.

Borcuse seemed to be the best of both worlds, though the inner psychosis was probably suppressed to allow the military commander to function as one. Perhaps the release of his inner demon would be what leads him to screw up on the command front.

If Narvi is intelligent enough as the unit commander, she will let Girghe terrorise enemies on his own.

It's a matter of trust too. If I were her, I'd flat out trying to watch my front and back at the same time.

Hot general dying's a pity. Real pity. I could do with a mature woman to balance all this out, even if Sigyn by herself would suffice 100%.

Where the hell were they hiding the sniper guy from the Millennium Corps this whole time? I'm pretty sure he would even outsnipe Zess.

All in all, pretty insane ep.

Penner
Sun, 02-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Hmm, haven't watched 2 or 3 yet.. think i'll start over and watch 1-2-3-4 in one go sometime next week :P

KrayZ33
Sun, 02-27-2011, 05:39 PM
the huge battle was underwhelming

the rest was decent though, I start to like Rygart more and more
he knows when to retreat and when to strike and he has the balls (heh..) to talk back to women/mock them, something I haven't seen in a while...
I wonder what will happen next though, Broken Blade @ 2-5 minutes of energy left
Red-Artemis guy in a pinch(?)
I don't see how he is going to get out of there alone and alive

anyone else thought that the last scene looked awkward? with the "power nova" shaking the ground and such

shinta|hikari
Sun, 02-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Didn't the red Artemis already decimate the platoon? It looked like he was doing quite well.

KrayZ33
Mon, 02-28-2011, 10:51 AM
thats why I wrote "pinch(?)", I'm not sure if he is capable of defeating them alone, even though he did really good

he lost most of his weaponry, his mech is damaged and there are still a few mechs arounds if I'm not mistaken.

Inazuma
Mon, 02-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Good god man.

Technicly this whole episode has been a tribute to how traditionnal warfare loses to modern warfare (ie Non dependant combat operation and skirmishes).

Now what we see is Special Forces Millenium (Low number, high efficiency) destroying conventionnal formations (Lead merged with high numbers low efficiency) and it is quite fun. Even though no one at this point is stupid enough to ask realism out of work of PURE FICTION it is yet quite fun to see how Borcurse is characterized as an evil son of a bitch by scare tactics and the use of mech scorpion thing.

As far as storytelling goes it is Damn Good
As far as graphism goes, 1080 is no loss of space

Watch it, Enjoy it and wait for the next one

Dark Dragon
Mon, 02-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Did they ever state how many episodes this OVA is going to last?

They're going at a pace of over 1 volume per episodes. This one covers up to the end of volume 5 and the manga is currently up to volume 9. There might be a break somewhere unless the manga is going to end soon and they're doing the FMA method of having both end at around the same time.

KrayZ33
Mon, 02-28-2011, 05:01 PM
6 episodes if I'm not mistaken
at least wiki listed 6 movies since the first one was released.

Kraco
Mon, 02-28-2011, 05:11 PM
Originally it was meant to be six films. I haven't noticed any indication they'd have changed that decision, but then again, I haven't been looking for any news either. Who knows whether they cook up an anime original ending or just stop wherever the story happened to be when they wrote the script for the last movie. I'd personally prefer the latter option. It would also make continuation possible - naturally depending on the bluray sales.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 02-28-2011, 07:48 PM
It would also make continuation possible

More. Sigyn. Must.

Also noticed that autopilot never kicked in this episode. I hated that postural control mechanism.

NeoCybercoin
Tue, 03-01-2011, 07:34 AM
Well Rygart did get a whole lot better at handling the Delphin. But man...Girghe is a freaking genius. More than Zess since people were always talking about how good Zess is. I think Girghe would kick Zess his ass in a fight.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 03-01-2011, 08:05 AM
Well Rygart did get a whole lot better at handling the Delphin. But man...Girghe is a freaking genius. More than Zess since people were always talking about how good Zess is. I think Girghe would kick Zess his ass in a fight.

Perhaps, but I won't write Zess off just yet. Zess is good, but also a team player. This guy may be good as a lone wolf to do his own thing supporting the main group, but I wonder how well he can do that. This latest fight, as well as their mock battle before showed that even Girghe can't escape unscathed when faced with enough opponents of good calibre.

But yeah, that guy's godly. God forbid this turns too far in the Gundam direction. Mech specialisation, offensive ability and control just jumped a couple of levels this ep.

Xelbair
Thu, 03-03-2011, 03:21 PM
I think that Grighe deliberately faked his fear of real battle to stay back and catch enemy off-guard while they were retreating and decimate most of them, also he is badass.

Kraco
Thu, 03-03-2011, 04:08 PM
That certainly visited my mind as well. But we can't yet be absolutely sure either way. He's quite crazy in any case, so even being genuinely afraid could be an option. After all, when the enemies were in the canyon, he knew explicitely how many there were and their positions (initially), so it wouldn't clash with his earlier whining.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 03-03-2011, 11:20 PM
I'm pretty sure it's fake. It's the most convenient way to separate from his team.

Someone who fights that well in a real battle and enjoys it so much very unlikely fears it.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 03-04-2011, 12:08 AM
I'm pretty sure it's fake. It's the most convenient way to separate from his team.

Someone who fights that well in a real battle and enjoys it so much very unlikely fears it.

I'm a bit on the edge about that one. The mock battle showed that he didn't in fact know everything about everyone since he was continuously evaluating Delphine's stats, but he did have the reassurance that his team won't kill him - unlike the other members of Millenium Corps.

Not to say that Gighe was really shitting his pants the way he appeared to be, but would that reaction manifest itself more or less if he headed out into battle, or got ambushed without knowledge?

shinta|hikari
Fri, 03-04-2011, 01:00 AM
Jumping into battle with the enemy general and his platoon?

That is definitely something someone dependent on concrete data would NOT do. Such an action contains incalculable risks, especially because so many factors remain unknown, the least of which the number of enemy units.

Kraco
Fri, 03-04-2011, 03:32 AM
You are forgetting he's clinically insane, Shinta. Or at least that's the impression I got when he was introduced as a character (could be a wrong impression, of course). So, for him, it would make perfect sense to feel superior and in control when he knows exactly how many enemies there are. But when he doesn't, he can't do anything at all because he can't get out of his mind that an uncalculated one might suddenly appear out of nowhere. It would have nothing to do with such details as against whom he would be fighting. Just a compulsary need to know how many enemies there are. That would be very fitting for an insane person.

But then again, once again, we don't yet know if it was only an act and how crazy he is. I'm 50-50 divided on the issue.

David75
Fri, 03-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Nice ep, good action, I'm very pleased I had the idea to link my plasma screen to my laptop's hdmi out, the image was just splendid and supported the action quite well.

Also, lez-Sigyn was Godly. Might need some diapers tonight :D

Violence did escalate quite a bit, not that much of a trouble though, but I really thought those squadrons were highly unprepared, which is strange considering they are under experienced Generals. On the other hand, useless deaths also happen in battles, I was just wondering if they were doing it for some blood stats they wanted to achieve (I mean the director/scenarist)

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-03-2011, 08:06 AM
gg - Episode 05 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=218503)

1080p ver (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=218502) (above is 720p)

glitch
Fri, 06-03-2011, 08:27 AM
The next and last episode will be released on blu-ray July 22, 2011 fui. Anyone knows if the're making their on lousy ending like with Claymore as the manga is still ongoing?

shinta|hikari
Fri, 06-03-2011, 09:22 AM
That was one of the most horrible episodes I have ever seen, only made worse by the fact that I am reading the manga.

EDIT: Oh that wasn't the last episode? Then maybe I have to reserve judgment til later. Does not change the fact that the last scene was ridiculous.

Kraco
Fri, 06-03-2011, 10:15 AM
If you ask me, this episode explained a whole lot, which I likely refused to admit earlier for the simple reason of being able to hate Rygart simply as a coward. But Girghe's speech did open my eyes: Rygart is clinically insane as well. That explains his earlier behavior as well as what happened in this episode as a result of his actions. It's easy to hate a coward because you can keep telling he would have had a choice of not acting cowardly, but if someone is crazy, he's crazy and can't help it. That's it. There's nothing to genuinely hate, although you still can hate the story for having such a character.

I suppose it'll be interesting to see the end of this story. With an insane main character, it should be quite unpredictable.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-03-2011, 10:59 AM
It was indeed weird. Normally when you hear "you abandoned your allies too", you'd think oh shit! and run back to help them if that's not what you wanted.

While I get the "I respect you as the only person to have ever defeated me. Live on!" scenario, I'm not particularly fond of it here. It just came out of the blue.

Narvi's climbing the ranks quickly. I bet she would surpass Sigyn in my books if the queen didn't have the sleepwear advantage. Narvi does have the pony tail though.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 06-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Narvi was hot.

I never thought of Rygart as insane, but this episode made him out to be. That's probably my biggest complaint.

Isn't it funny how Delphine can throw that huge shuriken around like nothing, but can't simply overpower the enemy when they clash swords? Logically, with such a difference in strength, power and speed, the other party will get crushed with the impact if they ever clash.

KrayZ33
Fri, 06-03-2011, 05:12 PM
That was one of the most horrible episodes I have ever seen

100% different opinion here...
best episode so far and by far.

but wth happened...
ep 4 ended in the middle of a showdown and ep 5 started like that fight did never happen.
when ep4 ended I thought we are about to see a huge battle between these 2...

well... doesn't matter, it is really satisfying to know that Nike died a horrible death.
annoying bitch, how dare she hurt my Narvi

RyougaZell
Sun, 06-05-2011, 07:13 PM
So.... without spoilers... is this following the manga or is it taking an original path?

Maybe I should read the manga...

NeoCybercoin
Mon, 06-06-2011, 12:05 AM
From what I recall, the ending of this ep does not follow the manga. But it is slightly similar. Just a bit.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 06-06-2011, 09:14 AM
This episode deviated quite a bit. A lot of content was cut out, but it really didn't change the plot that much, just the characterization.

Archangel
Sat, 07-02-2011, 06:45 PM
What the holy fuck did i just watch? And how can Rygart be this godamn retarded? I can honestly say i raged at his absofuckinglutely idiotic behavior upon being saved... I understand going to save his brother, he was emotional and his behavior can be excused as such but what in the holy name of fuck are you doing having a grudge match against a possible ally when your comrades are being raped after risking their lives do save your sorry ass?

I simply have no words, mfw that scene

http://i.imgur.com/JY42g.jpg

Buffalobiian
Fri, 07-29-2011, 09:17 AM
gg - Episode 06 (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=232176)

1080p Ver (http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=232177)

NeoCybercoin
Fri, 07-29-2011, 05:54 PM
That was....pretty damn awesome.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-30-2011, 06:06 AM
I actually found that episode really hard to follow. Very chaotic.

When I saw the bleeding soldier talking to Regartz, I actually thought he was our sunglass-general. But since that wasn't him, then that prompts the question regarding how his fight went with the bald guy from Athens. It makes no sense that their deathmatch would have been disrupted to the point that they both went their own ways to find their own enemies.

And Rygart's mentality throughout the whole thing just kept me from being absorbed into this episode. This show hasn't been as enjoyable as the beginning for me since Episode 05. I can't pinpoint the reason, since I'll have to actually rewatch it starting at the end of episode 04 just to remind myself about what happened.

An example of one of the things that just didn't make sense: what's the point of walls or breaching them when you can just hop over them?

Inazuma
Sat, 07-30-2011, 07:42 AM
West Point 101 : An obstacle doesn't need to stop the enemy by itself to be considered a viable defense. Slowing down the enemy and creating a temporary killbox for your men to take advantage of is sufficient.

Buff I think Rygart and by extension the Broken Blade team went Evangelion on us (Rygart behaved like Shinji)

But I enjoyed this episode and especially Borcuse's behavior which gave the enemy shades of gray to be painted with.

KrayZ33
Sat, 07-30-2011, 08:42 AM
the whole ending was kinda meaningless....
the whole fighting was awesome though, especially when Navi's squad came kicking in

but man, rygart's new weapon sucked hard. he was basically defensless fore half a minute whenenver he made a move.

An example of one of the things that just didn't make sense: what's the point of walls or breaching them when you can just hop over them?

oh come on ^^
you need to play more strategy games

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-30-2011, 09:06 AM
If the wall hindered them, sure. Right now though, hop-hop-hurray!

I was broken through without any seige weaponry whatsoever. This is supposed to be a castle.

KrayZ33
Sat, 07-30-2011, 03:00 PM
the wall provided superior positioning, additional defense and the wall climbing itself makes the mechs vulnerable
and they provided a choke point were the enemy troops had to gather so they could actually jump/climb onto that wall

Archangel
Fri, 09-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Damn Bill, lrn2strategize

I'm still irritated by how senseless the last episode turned out to be but this was a pretty good finale... except for that pants on head retarded new weapon of his. Why didn't they just make him a big ass sword? Haven't these people ever watched Berserk? It doesn't even need to be that sharp!

shinta|hikari
Fri, 09-02-2011, 09:44 PM
So 6 really was the last episode? It was absolute crap then.

Archangel
Fri, 09-02-2011, 09:47 PM
You know what you should do Shinta? You should try and convince us (http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php/19959-Manga-Visualization)

Kraco
Sat, 09-03-2011, 02:00 AM
I'd be lying if I said I'd miss these movies too much. There were great many promising elements in this story, but on the other hand I never stopped disliking the main character. If he had been more inspiring and likable, then I'd agree with Shinta. But as it is, it was just meh for me.

David75
Sat, 09-03-2011, 03:32 AM
You could say this is yet another meaningless battle in a meaningless war. As usual, even per "reality" standards.

The only gripe I have is that Borcuse had a death wish from the begining. Even with a slightly inferior mech, he's so superior in weapons, weapons handling, combat that he could have finished that fight everytime Rygart charged, but he didn't.
Proof of the death wish is his last moments, WTF?!

Other battles are to come, both camps have a rough idea of the forces and trump cards the other has.
Now comes the difficult battles with little to no ground gained, waiting for your opponent to be short of men/weapons/will to fight.

With kiddies showing at the end, you could also think the issues are to be resolved by the next gen when they are in their late teen years?

I don't think I read somewhere we'd get more eps to that show, guess it depends on the ratings and sales. After all it's fairly easy to take it from where it stopped and add to the story.

Regarding the retarded weapon:
Well, it's not that retarded, I mean for a highly skilled handler.
Thing is its massive weight that needs even more skills and Rygart clearly isn't the skilled type. He's not even skilled enough to keep balance at crucial times when his machine is equiped with failsafes. So it was hard to believe he didn't kill himself with the weapon as it came back to him multiple times. After all, that weapon is very dangerous to the wielder if not mastered to perfection, yet Rygart didn't have such problems, I find it hard to swallow.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 09-03-2011, 03:54 AM
The meaningless nature of the "let's pit these characters together while everybody else is fighting a war" threw this episode into chaotic failure.

KrayZ33
Tue, 07-15-2014, 04:10 PM
So, the new "version" which is (as far as I know) pretty much a 1:1 copy of the movies aired/were released some time ago.

I heard that there is a new ~10 minute fighting scene where some guy wrecks havoc. Does anybody know which episode that is?
Not going to bother with the whole thing again, but I'd like to watch that part for the eye candy