PDA

View Full Version : Movie: Inception

itadakimasu
Fri, 07-16-2010, 03:01 PM
This is getting good reviews. People are saying it's on a similar level w\ 'The Matrix' I'm going to see it tonight.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1375666/

http://www.traileraddict.com/content/warner-bros-pictures/inception.jpg

Zati
Fri, 07-16-2010, 03:26 PM
You'll definitely enjoy it. Be prepared though, it's very cerebral and complex.

I had a chance to see this in a early screening, and the experience was just mind-blowing. I'll probably go and see it a second time, 'cause this film deserves multiple viewings to fully grasp what's going on.

I'm so excited to see it a second time to see what certain things I missed the first viewing. I'll probably just drool and admire the spectacle all over again, too.

The auteur known as Christoper Nolan has truly outdone himself again. Another brilliant masterpiece!

Leo's also one of my favorite actors ever, so that made it even more enjoyable for me.

Sapphire
Fri, 07-16-2010, 05:33 PM
I NEED TO SEE THIS!!!!

I am also hearing comparisons to the Matrix.

mage
Fri, 07-16-2010, 09:42 PM
You may walk out of the theater questioning your own existence if you see this. It's that good.

Yukimura
Sat, 07-17-2010, 01:03 AM
Just got back from this movie and I thought it was awesome. I dare say I would put it ahead of The Matrix in everything except for action and I wouldn't have even made the Matrix comparison if other people hadn't done so for me because I felt this story delved into the idea of 'how do we ever really know what's real' so much more effectively.

Additionally I loved the way everything held together to form a compelling and engaging narrative that ended leaving me sure I'd just seem something special but scratching my head to put my finger one exactly what it was I just experienced and what it meant to me.

itadakimasu
Sat, 07-17-2010, 02:28 PM
You may walk out of the theater questioning your own existence if you see this. It's that good.

YEAH! I accidentally only went down 2 flights of stairs and instead of the exit door there was an elevator... i was momentarily tripping!

Great movie!! I think I'm going to see it again tomorrow. I saw it in ' XD ' xtreme digital which was pretty cool. Made me wonder why they even still show movies on regular grainy film rolls.

Assassin
Sat, 07-17-2010, 03:18 PM
the fuck is xtreme digital? is that like imax?

mage
Sat, 07-17-2010, 08:52 PM
I saw it a second time today. It's a totally different movie the second time you watch it. Much more enjoyable.

XanBcoo
Sun, 07-18-2010, 12:38 AM
Additionally I loved the way everything held together to form a compelling and engaging narrative that ended leaving me sure I'd just seem something special but scratching my head to put my finger one exactly what it was I just experienced and what it meant to me.

This is what I loved about the movie. It was a legitimately gripping and intense story that was presented in a more or less straightforward manner, but it was still complex enough for me to have a lot of questions and a desire to figure out exactly what the fuck happened.

The Matrix comparison is apt. I haven't seen a movie so mind-boggling since I first saw The Matrix as a teenager.

Psyke
Sun, 07-18-2010, 05:25 AM
Heard nothing but good stuff about this movie. Can't be wrong if they compare it to the original matrix! Will book tickets for this week. :p

depthcharge
Sun, 07-18-2010, 11:37 AM
I think it is Matrix with year 2010 steroids. However, what it deals with seemed like supernatural powers. Matrix is just Terminator with a computer. Inception is more like Superman's baby with A Beautiful Mind.

XanBcoo
Sun, 07-18-2010, 11:46 AM
I think it is Matrix with year 2010 steroids. However, what it deals with seemed like supernatural powers
Not really. It's straight up science fiction. I really like the way they introduce the technology without dwelling on it.

That is, they mention the technology that makes the dream-sharing possible, but don't delve into it too deeply, because it's not really the focus of the story.

Assassin
Mon, 07-19-2010, 01:40 AM
im calling it rite now....best picture of the year at the oscars.

Its an absolutely amazing movie. It takes a concept we've all played with (the whole "waking up from a dream, only to realize its another dream") and portrays its masterfully, with simultaneous storylines (or dreamscapes) captivating characters, and special effects galore. I particularly likes the zero-G fight scene in the hotel....it was done really well, and its something i dont think i've ever seen before.....so even if the technology is old, the effects look new.

Im definately a Nolan fan after this

depthcharge
Mon, 07-19-2010, 02:06 AM
I am just assuming, but when Neo was flying in Matrix, he is experiencing zero-G, or did he gain negative/positive pressure on his flying surface/wings?

itadakimasu
Mon, 07-19-2010, 08:41 AM
im calling it rite now....best picture of the year at the oscars.

Somehow I think they will give the award to some much lesser movie.... Hey... inception was grate!... BUT this crappy movie about a guy disarming bombs in iraq who is addicted to war is going to get the award!

I saw it for the second time yesterday and it was still great. It was a cool experience to be like... OHHHHHHH he's dreaming. Or notice little things you hadn't seen.

XanBcoo
Mon, 07-19-2010, 01:20 PM
I particularly likes the zero-G fight scene in the hotel....it was done really well, and its something i dont think i've ever seen before.....so even if the technology is old, the effects look new.
I went into the movie not having seen the trailer, and when it got to that scene I got the intense feeling that I was witnessing something amazing.

I am just assuming, but when Neo was flying in Matrix, he is experiencing zero-G, or did he gain negative/positive pressure on his flying surface/wings?
I believe Neo was able to change the rules of the Matrix so that physics no longer applied. It wasn't "zero-G" but rather a lack of gravity due to him existing as a mental projection.

Ryllharu
Mon, 07-19-2010, 04:05 PM
I really enjoyed this movie, but going into it, most if not all the reviews of it claimed it was hard to follow.

Were they just not paying attention for a third of the movie? I had no issue following the narrative. They explained and explained time and time again, and even switched back and forth in varying degrees of slow motion to remind the audience what else was going on at the same time.

Don't get me wrong, the execution was flawless, and I had no trouble because of that execution. It gave me the impression that a lot of film critics aren't very attentive.

XanBcoo
Mon, 07-19-2010, 05:55 PM
I really enjoyed this movie, but going into it, most if not all the reviews of it claimed it was hard to follow.

I've heard that, and I personally feel that while it was not hard to follow, the plot was incredibly dense with information and came at you pretty quickly.

By the end of the movie, I had loads of questions that I feel weren't answered, or at least were left unclear. For example, why was it necessary to use a kick to wake up from a 2nd and 3rd layer dream, and why did all 3 kicks have to be perfectly synchronized? Why was the explosion in the snow level necessary as a kick if Saito, Cobb, and Ariadne all left Limbo by killing themselves? Why weren't the effects of the gravity transferred down into the snow level? Why didn't the first kick (driving off the bridge) wake up Joseph Gordon-Levitt? Why was Saito an old man in Limbo, even though he arrived around the same time as Cobb?

I loved the idea of totems and how they were related to real life practices used in Lucid Dreaming, but I don't get why the top was a particularly good totem. If all you needed to confirm/deny that you were in a dream was seeing it spin/topple, isn't that easily replicated by someone else?

None of those questions were particularly confounding, but it gave me a lot to think about nonetheless.

darkshadow
Fri, 07-23-2010, 07:34 AM
For example, why was it necessary to use a kick to wake up from a 2nd and 3rd layer dream, and why did all 3 kicks have to be perfectly synchronized?
The kick's were needed to move back up the dream layers.
In synchro because if you miss a kick you are stuck there till time runs out in the real world (10 hours for them)

Why was the explosion in the snow level necessary as a kick if Saito, Cobb, and Ariadne all left Limbo by killing themselves?
The explosion was the kick, giving fischer shocks was just indicating the kick was coming, so ariadne and fischer died in limbo, because they would otherwise miss the kick in the snow level.

Why weren't the effects of the gravity transferred down into the snow level? Why didn't the first kick (driving off the bridge) wake up Joseph Gordon-Levitt?
Gravity, hmm not sure....time dilation? Or perhaps them being in zero G simply didn't go deep enough into the dreams, remember this line?:
"Turbulence from the plane? No it's much closer, probably his driving".
JGL, was that the driver? he didn't get kicked out because the kick didn't apply to him, he was awake (in lvl1), driving of the bridge was just the end of their lvl1 dream time.

Why was Saito an old man in Limbo, even though he arrived around the same time as Cobb?
He didnt, Cobb died in lvl 1, he drowned in the van, so he got sent back to limbo.
Saito was dead all along so he had already spent decades in there.

If all you needed to confirm/deny that you were in a dream was seeing it spin/topple, isn't that easily replicated by someone else?
No because only you know exactly how it moves, spins and topples, a replica will still be off in at least one of those areas.

Great movie btw, will see it a few more times before getting in on blu-ray :D

XanBcoo
Fri, 07-23-2010, 10:50 AM
The kick's were needed to move back up the dream layers.
In synchro because if you miss a kick you are stuck there till time runs out in the real world (10 hours for them)
No, I understood that, but it was never clear exactly how the kicks worked. My first understanding was that you needed to feel a kick in the layer above you in order to wake up from the dream you were in.

Now I think it's more that you had to experience 2 simultaneous kicks. One in the layer above you, and one in the layer you were currently in. That would explain why JGL (Arthur, Cobb's right hand man) didn't wake up in the hotel level until he rigged the elevator. The movie isn't quite clear on that, though.

And yeah, I think that the effects of the gravity wore off as the dream layers went deeper, like how the effects of Saito's wound wore off in the lower levels.

He didnt, Cobb died in lvl 1, he drowned in the van, so he got sent back to limbo.
Saito was dead all along so he had already spent decades in there.
I remember Cobb being stabbed in Limbo, and telling Juno that he would stay there to rescue Saito. That was around the same time that Saito died. I do remember the scene of Cobb in the van, but it wasn't clear if he had actually left Limbo (his apartment with Mal) in the first place. I guess if you die in a higher level while in Limbo, you get "respawned" or something?

darkshadow
Fri, 07-23-2010, 11:48 AM
No, I understood that, but it was never clear exactly how the kicks worked. My first understanding was that you needed to feel a kick in the layer above you in order to wake up from the dream you were in.

Now I think it's more that you had to experience 2 simultaneous kicks. One in the layer above you, and one in the layer you were currently in. That would explain why JGL (Arthur, Cobb's right hand man) didn't wake up in the hotel level until he rigged the elevator. The movie isn't quite clear on that, though.

I think you can actively refuse a kick if you know it's coming, if JGL got kicked out, the others would've been screwed and stuck in the second level.

I remember Cobb being stabbed in Limbo, and telling Juno that he would stay there to rescue Saito. That was around the same time that Saito died. I do remember the scene of Cobb in the van, but it wasn't clear if he had actually left Limbo (his apartment with Mal) in the first place. I guess if you die in a higher level while in Limbo, you get "respawned" or something?

Yeah he got stabbed but he didn't die, he just stayed there until everyone got kicked out, he then drowned in lvl 1, which I believe pulled him out of limbo for a brief moment, only to chuck him back cause they were still sedated and couldn't wake up from death. So he wound up back in limbo, but this time decades after Saito was stuck there.

XanBcoo
Wed, 08-04-2010, 09:38 AM
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/did-disneys-uncle-scrooge-comic-inspire-wbs-inception-19829

Wow.

The similarities are few, but what a weird coincidence.

darkshadow
Wed, 08-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Yeah I actually have that comic, forgot why I thought some stuff in the movie seemed familiar. (side note: the scrooge mcduck comics are fking awesome ;D).