PDA

View Full Version : AnimeOne Naruto scripts

Velorien
Tue, 06-29-2010, 09:06 AM
Hail all.

I'm a long-time Naruto fan who first got to know it through the ANBU and AnimeOne fansubs, and now I'm lucky enough to be doing a Masters' thesis on it. I have a request for the old AnimeOne staff. Do you still have the scripts for eps 1-135?

My thesis is on the role of anime in young people's identity construction in Japan, particularly on how anime influences how people decide what to live for, and it would help me immeasurably to be able to go through the scripts and look for keywords etc. instead of having to watch the entire series back to back again. I can promise not to distribute them etc. if that's necessary.

Please let me know what you think.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 06-29-2010, 09:59 AM
You're better off catching them on their IRC channel

irc://irc.rizon.net/animeone

depthcharge
Tue, 06-29-2010, 10:07 AM
http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Naruto

The above website could have summarized information that you want.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 06-29-2010, 10:12 AM
http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Naruto

The above website could have summarized information that you want.

I think he's actually looking ideas in the pieces of dialogue and stuff (eg. "will of fire", "you're a scum if you can't take care of your friends" - but less specific and more frequently mentioned)

Believe it!

LunaticCat
Tue, 06-29-2010, 12:43 PM
nice topic for a thesis, I think :)
may I ask what your course is called? Japanology?

:)

Velorien
Wed, 06-30-2010, 08:01 AM
Modern Japanese Studies, to be precise.

Yeah, I'm looking for exact wording so I can analyse it directly. Basically, there's this Japanese concept called ikigai (生きがい), which roughly means "that which makes life worth living", and it can roughly be divided up into "pursuing your own dream" ("jikojitsugen" or "self-realisation") and "becoming one with a group and working for its benefit" ("ittaikan" or "sense of unity"). "Naruto" has a really interesting dynamic between these two directions - for example, how Naruto's dream of becoming the Hokage has both personal and group aspects (he starts out wanting to be the strongest, but also to be acknowledged by the village), whereas Sasuke becomes more of an antagonist the more he renounces group bonds and pursues his own goal. I'm going to try and relate all this to the problems real Japanese young people are experiencing (like the double bind of being disillusioned with traditional values of corporate employment, but at the same time being denied the chance to strike out on their own).

Thanks for the IRC tip - I'll try and catch them there.

Archangel
Wed, 06-30-2010, 04:38 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath if i were you, this was before soft subs and i find it hard to believe that anyone on the team would keep the scripts this long

You might want to try some sort of character recognition software

Velorien
Thu, 07-01-2010, 10:26 AM
That's what I'm doing right now, but there are only a couple of programs around, and they're horribly slow, buggy and unsupported.

Pandadice
Sat, 07-10-2010, 10:29 AM
wait, if you're doing it for Modern Japanese Studies, shouldn't you be looking at the dialogue in the Japanese script, and not the fansubs? Just because fansubs take such poetic license, and though they try to relate the meaning of the dialogue, there are often things lost on translation... I mean, not saying that Viz's industry subs are going to be any truer, but you're going to run into the translation problem in any translation.. So I'd say the best thing to do is look at the Japanese dialogue, not the English. (especially not the dub)

ps and isn't Naruto all just modern Japanese work-ethic-building propaganda? socially conditioning the kids with the "always be the best at everything you do and don't quit" junk, to prepare them for their desk job as a salary man?

The nail that sticks out gets hammered.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Sat, 07-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Why does that only apply to desk jobs? So youre saying if someone who draws, writes, or makes music watches naruto they take it as "always do the best at everything, unless its something you love"??

Kagari
Sun, 07-11-2010, 12:34 PM
people love to argue so much on this forum...

A university student, who's studied far enough in that he's working on a graduate thesis..

:rolleyes: