PDA

View Full Version : One Piece Chapter 589

Marik
Wed, 06-23-2010, 06:00 PM
mangastream / binktopia

Online Viewing (http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/72772619/2)

Archangel
Wed, 06-23-2010, 06:54 PM
Holy shit... Luffy is pretty damn broken :(

RyougaZell
Wed, 06-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Holy shit indeed. What a way to wrap up the flashback. Now I can really see a timeskip happening... Luffy's so broken he'll probably undergo an extreme change soon... and if Jinbei and Hancock help him... wow. I wonder how much more help Law will provide though.

I want to see the rest of the crew. But damn.

Oda is god.

Archangel
Wed, 06-23-2010, 07:09 PM
I can already picture Luffy showing up in Saobody older, looking like Ace and going "Everybody this is Hancock, my bride", followed by me nerdgasming cause i'm a sucker for pairings

Carnage
Wed, 06-23-2010, 07:24 PM
I don't think Oda will pull a Toriyama where its 5 years later and Luffy suddenly has a family.

I feel like the story is moving slow, but I know its just that I'm anxious to see the movie story move along.

RyougaZell
Wed, 06-23-2010, 07:32 PM
I can already picture Luffy showing up in Saobody older, looking like Ace and going "Everybody this is Hancock, my bride", followed by me nerdgasming cause i'm a sucker for pairings

I'm a sucker for them too. But I don't think Oda will ever pair someone on this manga. And if he ever does it... it will be a one final page only. Like Elie and Haru in Rave Master... though that pairing was implied through 80% of the manga.

I say Nami though.

depthcharge
Thu, 06-24-2010, 12:07 AM
Hancock X Luffy. Thats the pairing I want. Hancock is probably consoling Luffy right this moment.

LobsterMagnet
Thu, 06-24-2010, 02:12 PM
I don't see luffy pairing up with hancock at least not so soon. Hancock is pretty much one piece's chi chi and Luffy is a creature driven purely by instinct. He won't settle down to reproduce until his body tells him the time is right (i.e. after he finds one piece becomes new pirate king) after that then maybe on the last chapter we'll see him reproduce and have offspring.

But man really wanna see where the hell oda's going with this all flash back seems really weird was kind of expecting it to end with luffy's resolve being strengthened but he seems just as devastated as before.

TwisT
Thu, 06-24-2010, 02:53 PM
This have been the mother of flashbacks. First we got his flashback with Shanks and thought that this is why he became a pirate. Then we got the flashback with him and Garp and thought that this is where he got his determination, strength, endurance, resilience and will to live. And now we got this that showed that this was just the foundation to that and his real resolve to become a pirate was his experience and promise with Sado and Ace. Same for all of his strengths. And his protectiveness of nakama.

And we also got to see what Ace and Luffy's story was. And we got to know the reason why Ace left to become a pirate before Luffy did. And we got this new character named Sado. Who might still be alive and might potentially show up as a member of Dragon's crew or a pirate himself. Although i feel it in my gut that he is actually dead.

And even though i though both Zoro and Sanji's (and Nami's to some extent too) flashbacks carried a lot of emotions and impact, this one toppled it all.

Also do you guys think that Ace got his smiley and sad face on his hat as a tribute to Sabo and Luffy, since Sabo always smiled and Luffy always cried?

Assertn
Thu, 06-24-2010, 03:18 PM
I like how Luffy's boat has the barrel that he ends up inside when he gets stowed onto Alvida's ship in the 1st chapter. Really seamless wrap-around to the beginning of the series. Kinda strange how he was thinking of Sabo so close to the start of his adventure, yet we not once catch a reference to him until Ace dies.

These flashbacks give a bit more meaning to Luffy's ambition, but it still wasn't quite as dramatic as many of the others' we've seen, like Nami's or Robin's.

Archangel
Thu, 06-24-2010, 03:24 PM
I like how Luffy's boat has the barrel that he ends up inside when he gets stowed onto Alvida's ship in the 1st chapter. Really seamless wrap-around to the beginning of the series. Kinda strange how he was thinking of Sabo so close to the start of his adventure, yet we not once catch a reference to him until Ace dies.
It's a bit disappointing, but the only reason why we would even complain about such a thing is because Oda has spoiled us so much

I say we don't get anal about it and let it slide

UChessmaster
Fri, 06-25-2010, 07:14 AM

Luffy doesn`t really talk about his past to the crew though, we knew nothing of Ace until he appeared the first time, same thing about Garp and Dragon (?).

Assertn
Fri, 06-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Luffy doesn`t really talk about his past to the crew though, we knew nothing of Ace until he appeared the first time, same thing about Garp and Dragon (?).

Goddamn, you gotta challenge every post I make, don't you? I didn't say anything about him talking about his past. Anyway, these flashbacks seem to suggest that Sabo and Ace were at least somewhat comparable of an inspiration as Shanks was to him setting out on his adventure, yet all we heard about up until the Grand Line was Shanks Shanks Shanks.

Also, Luffy doesn't know much about Garp, except that Garp wanted him to be a marine. He didn't know who his dad even was until Garp mentioned Dragon at Water 7.

UChessmaster
Fri, 06-25-2010, 11:41 AM
Goddamn, you gotta challenge every post I make, don't you?

I browse these forums every day, desperately looking for post made by you just so i can contradict them, you are correct, yes.

depthcharge
Fri, 06-25-2010, 12:55 PM
The hatred for the system that is the World Government is very well played out.

The ghetto hole that Luffy was in made him want to be a Pirate to overthrow the World Goverment, or just sail the sea and be free.

The revolutionaries on the other hand seem like a legitimate entity that could possibly bring order post World war.

Death13a
Fri, 06-25-2010, 01:24 PM
The thing that surprised me most is that Luffy was reading newspaper.I don't think Oda was planning for Sabo at beginning but he did brilliantly tied up the beginning to present. Luffy resolve to be Pirate King wasn't something that he just decided to do because he was destined to do but Luffy worked on his resolve by building his strength and making promise to Ace and Sabo since Pirate King is having most freedom that Sabo wanted the most.