PDA

View Full Version : Quickreply: to click or not to click?

complich8
Thu, 06-10-2010, 01:41 AM
So for those of you following along, I'm wondering how people would prefer to use the forums.

So there's basically three browse modes (Nested, Hybrid, Linear). In order to let Nested and Hybrid make sense in the future, we'd have to force Linear and Nested users to hit a button to enable quickreply.

That may have been the way it was in the past, too, but this isn't about the past, it's about the future.

Munsu
Thu, 06-10-2010, 01:45 AM
I like clicking, it forced me to find the post I was mainly interested in replying to and then hit the "Quote message in reply?" option.

Without clicking, I sometimes forget if I did click on the post I was interested in and also overlook the quoting option.

My 2 cents. But I'm fine with whichever really, though I think the forcing people to click on it is better.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 06-10-2010, 02:45 AM
I don't quite get what it's all about.

From my browser, I type in the "Quick Reply" box, and hit "Post Quick Reply" when I'm done.

Can you explain how the new implemented routine would be different from mine, if at all?

Munsu
Thu, 06-10-2010, 03:06 AM
The difference is that the quick-reply box would be grayed-out until you hit the "quick reply" icon on a post. Once you do that, you should be moved automatically to the now enabled quick reply section so you can type your message in and then enable the "Quote message in reply?" option if so desired.

In all, I would imagine people would like the way it currently is better... but to me, it helps me keep a better routine, since I like to quote the messages I'm replying to, and right now I often forget to hit the "Quote message in reply" since it's grayed out by default regardless if you being able to type in the Quick Reply text box or not. So if we do the click thing, the text box AND the option to quote the message would be enabled at the same time, so in that regard it helps me personally quite a bit in not overlooking some of the options I use.

I don't think we even used to have a quick-reply icon. I think you simply hit on "Reply" and it would automatically enable the quick-reply text box for you to type in. That's if I remeber correctly.

Archangel
Thu, 06-10-2010, 04:13 AM
Sounds needlessly annoying, i prefer the system the way it is

Death BOO Z
Thu, 06-10-2010, 06:23 AM
If I don't 'quick reply' any message, what does the quote option do? SCIENCE!

I just go for the quick reply box immediately, and normal post when quoting. I like it this way

masamuneehs
Thu, 06-10-2010, 07:39 AM
i like having both the button and the box below.

Munsu
Thu, 06-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Sounds needlessly annoying, i prefer the system the way it is

So annoying that you complained about it in the past for instance?

It's fine that you want it to be the way it currently is, but let's not go overboard with this.

Archangel
Thu, 06-10-2010, 08:43 AM
So annoying that you complained about it in the past for instance?

It's fine that you want it to be the way it currently is, but let's not go overboard with this.
I'm just saying it sounds annoying in comparison to the current system

Sapphire
Thu, 06-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Keep it how it is now. Having to press a button just feels like an extra inconvenience. When I get to the end of a thread I enjoy easily spamming it like so.

Munsu
Thu, 06-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Well, I think it's quite evident that people preffer the way it currently is as expected.

I think we can safely move to the next item in the list.

Ryllharu
Thu, 06-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Forcing the issue makes Nested and Hybrid modes possible. One of the other threads related to this mentioned they might want to be able to avoid long back and forth conversations in a post. Nested would let them skip that.

As it stands, there isn't a point in having the other two modes at all. Threads are a huge mess in the other view modes. Forcing compliance would let them be functional.

I guess it is a moot argument now with the poll results, but I think that needs to be pointed out.

Kraco
Fri, 06-11-2010, 07:44 AM
Does anybody even use the nested mode over here? It seems more common among news and blog sites than actual forums.

Yukimura
Fri, 06-11-2010, 10:40 AM
I prefer the way it is. Even if we were forced to press a quick reply button thread view would not necessarily work as desired because some people (definitely me) who don't use or care about thread view might just hit quick reply to the last post in the thread and go about posting as before. The only way I could see myself voluntarily replying to a specific post instead of just 'the thread' would be If threaded view was the only option available.