PDA

View Full Version : Movie: The Avengers

Munsu
Sat, 06-05-2010, 10:05 AM
This news is a couple of months old, and I forgot to post about it then, but I think some of you might be interested... Joss Whedon looks to be the director for The Avengers movie, whenever it comes out (2012?).

I would guess we would need to wait for the Thor and Captain America movies to come out. If not mistaken, Whedon is also doing some re-writes to the Captain America script.

Anyways, good to see Whedon involved here.

Jeremy Renner (The Hurt Locker and The Unusuals) has been picked to play Hawkeye.

Penner
Sat, 06-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Ah, i've read alot about about this and the Thor/Captain America movies but for some reason forgot to post threads about it aswell :P

It is indeed awesome if Whedon is doing this, anything that man touches is gold.

Penner
Sun, 06-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Here's a picture of the guy playing Thor in costume, looks pretty futuristic.. i kinda like it :P

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv243/FilmNerdJamie/Thor-4.jpg

animus
Sun, 06-06-2010, 05:14 PM
Dude's not diesel enough. And not "Viking" enough. His face just looks too "American", but then again the original alter-ego was American I believe.

rockmanj
Sun, 06-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Dude's not diesel enough. And not "Viking" enough. His face just looks too "American", but then again the original alter-ego was American I believe.

But they would need to CG a guy to play Thor. He's like 500 pounds of muscle or some crazy shit like that. It kinda reminds me of a mix between 616 and ultimate Thor.

I'm sorry 640 pounds of muscle!! http://marvel.wikia.com/Thor_Odinson_(Earth-616)

Munsu
Sun, 06-06-2010, 10:43 PM
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm4013919488/tt0800369

animus
Mon, 06-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Hm, now that I thought a bit about who I think would be a bitter fit, maybe Andy Whitfield the dude who plays Spartacus in Spartacus: Blood and Sad would've been a better fit. He'd just need to be blond.

Penner
Fri, 06-25-2010, 05:01 PM
New, and awesome, casting info!

Nathan Fillion as 'Ant-Man' and Eva Longoria as 'The Wasp' (http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/TheDogPound/news/?a=19339)

FILLIIIIOOOOOOOOONNN!

Munsu
Fri, 06-25-2010, 05:51 PM

Nathan Fillion as 'Ant-Man' and Eva Longoria as 'The Wasp' (http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/TheDogPound/news/?a=19339)

FILLIIIIOOOOOOOOONNN!

Don't know about Longoria, but Nathan Fillion is awesome.

Penner
Fri, 06-25-2010, 06:22 PM
Yeah it was the Fillion part that was awesome, i haven't watched enough Longoria stuff to know if she's a good actress, but atleast she's got the body to fill the tight "Wasp" costume out nicely ;)

Munsu
Fri, 06-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Yeah it was the Fillion part that was awesome, i haven't watched enough Longoria stuff to know if she's a good actress, but atleast she's got the body to fill the tight "Wasp" costume out nicely ;)

I like her in Desperate Housewives, I just haven't seen her outside that role and don't know how she'll do. But I can see her getting annoying, I hope it's not the case.

Assassin
Fri, 06-25-2010, 10:02 PM
fuck ya! this is why i love whedon.....he loves to bring the firefly cast into everything he does! Now im officially stoked to see this movie!

Munsu
Fri, 06-25-2010, 10:14 PM
I hope they do a fairly long movie... else what we're going to be stuck with is with a lot of small scenes spread out to give all these characters their due screen-time, and we'll just be left with very little substance...

Penner
Fri, 06-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Yeah, i'm always for longer movies, i hate when movies i like are too short, and i count anything thats not around 2 hours or more as short :D

Psyke
Sat, 06-26-2010, 12:46 AM
I have no idea what these two insect themed Super heroes do... :p

DeathscytheVII
Sat, 06-26-2010, 03:27 PM

Nathan Fillion as 'Ant-Man' and Eva Longoria as 'The Wasp'

FILLIIIIOOOOOOOOONNN!

I just nerdgasmed. :eek:

Munsu
Sat, 06-26-2010, 07:41 PM
I have no idea what these two insect themed Super heroes do... :p

As far as I understand it, they procreate.

Penner
Sun, 06-27-2010, 06:59 AM
They both have almost identical powers.

'The Wasp': powers and abilities (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasp_%28comics%29#Powers_and_abilities)

'Ant-Man': powers and abilities (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Pym#Powers_and_abilities)

Apparently they're also in a relationship :P

Munsu
Tue, 07-13-2010, 08:38 PM
Well, no more Hulk for Ed Norton... wonder who'll they pick next.

Penner
Tue, 07-13-2010, 10:30 PM
It might be Joaquin Phoenix (http://chud.com/articles/articles/24388/1/WILL-THE-NEW-HULK-RISE-LIKE-A-PHOENIX/Page1.html)

Hmm... he's a good actor but i really can't see him as Banner/The Hulk...

Assassin
Tue, 07-13-2010, 10:48 PM
...what?

itadakimasu
Tue, 07-13-2010, 11:55 PM
I know the latest hulk was a sort of reboot ( right? ) but i found it much more entertaining than the previous one w\ eric bana... but I dont think switching actors is good for the avengers.

it will hurt the movie to just throw in a new actor. UNLESS they introduce them before hand.

Munsu
Wed, 07-14-2010, 02:00 AM
Ed Norton was simply a pain in the ass to work with from what I gather. I remember that there were some huge problems with his Hulk movie. No real surprise really.

Penner
Wed, 07-14-2010, 05:41 PM
Curveball!

Mark Ruffalo in late-stage talks to be Marvel's new Hulk (http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/mark-ruffalo-in-late-stage-talks-to-be-marvels-new-hulk-in-the-avengers/)

itadakimasu
Thu, 07-15-2010, 10:15 AM
he looks like a mix betweent eric bana and edward norton.

Assassin
Thu, 07-15-2010, 05:49 PM
im curious as to why/how norton was an asshole...is he a diva on set, or is he just batshit crazy like mel gibson?

Munsu
Thu, 07-15-2010, 10:06 PM
im curious as to why/how norton was an asshole...is he a diva on set, or is he just batshit crazy like mel gibson?

It's quite a weird situation. Sources are claiming that it's a financial reason, that talks had been good before the contract talks began recently to reprise his role with The Avengers and take part of Comic-Con.

I just remember that there were some issues with Norton not being happy with how the movie was turning out or something with The Incredible Hulk, and he was throwing his weight around to change things, etc. I might be misrembering though, but I'm pretty sure that there were some unhappy moments that made it to the public.

I don't know what to believe... I think there's a bit of truth in all of it.

Raven
Fri, 07-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Couldn't they just get Eric Bana to do it then claim the Avengers movie just follows on from the original Hulk movie? *shrug*

Penner
Sat, 07-17-2010, 06:26 PM
Here's a picture (http://ramascreen.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/thorandodin.jpg) of Thor and Odin in the Thor movie.

iMUSTbeTHEdevil
Sat, 07-17-2010, 11:59 PM

I heard that Norton was excited to be Bruce Banner again and was disappointed that they didn't choose him. But it could just be about money too.

And is it just me or does it seem like Thor doesn't deserve his own movie? I guess I never got into that character.

animus
Sun, 07-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Thor is probably one of the most powerful entities in the Marvel Universe.

Penner
Mon, 07-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Photo of "The Hall of Asgard" in "Thor" (http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/07/18/new-thor-photo-reveals-hall-of-asgard-featuring-fandral-hogun-frigga-helmets-and-more/)

itadakimasu
Sun, 07-25-2010, 12:34 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100725/ap_en_mo/us_comic_con_avengers

Samuel Jackson announces case of ' Avengers ' @ comic con.

Hulk to be played by Mark Ruffalo as Penners post indicated... I still wanted Norton to stay :(

Munsu
Sun, 07-25-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm not so bothered by this chance as I might have in other occassions. When I think Hulk I rarely just associate it with Norton, so that a different actor will be playing Hulk next doesn't really bother me much to tell the truth.

rockmanj
Sun, 07-25-2010, 01:58 PM
I'm not so bothered by this chance as I might have in other occassions. When I think Hulk I rarely just associate it with Norton, so that a different actor will be playing Hulk next doesn't really bother me much to tell the truth.

Yea, I agree. he didn't really make the role 'his' so to speak. For instance, I couldn't imagine anyone else as Iron Man but Downey or another Joker after Ledger. Hopefully the people playing Thor and Cap can make their roles iconic.

animus
Sun, 07-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Neither of the actors for the Hulk so far have made me feel like, "Yep, that actor looks, and acts exactly as I thought Bruce Banner would."

Penner
Tue, 07-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Video of the full cast announcement of 'The Avengers' at Comic-Con (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8YN-UqCTJ0&feature=player_embedded)

Damn this movie is going to be INSANE!

Animeniax
Tue, 07-27-2010, 10:23 AM
I think we've seen before when there are too many superheroes/villains in one movie, it's a mess of a storyline and there's shit for character development. I don't see how they'll avoid that with this movie.

itadakimasu
Tue, 07-27-2010, 12:02 PM
I think the idea of launching all of the solo movies before doing the avengers was great...

You really wouldn't necessarily need charactor development at that point because the Avengers movie would be a sort of sequal...

But it may come down to iron man being the only really stand out charactor, if the others have to establish or re-establish themselves into the storyline.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Tue, 07-27-2010, 01:28 PM
I have a good feeling Whedon will pull this off. Renner as hawkeye is probably what I'm looking most forward to, apart from everything.

Even with all the other heavy names around him I feel like they can't help but give Hawkeye's character some dimensions just on Renner's acting talent alone. Which to me is great cause Im not all that interested in seeing it just focusing on the big three that already have their movies.

Animeniax
Sun, 09-04-2011, 11:54 PM
I watched Thor and didn't see any Avengers footage at the end after the credits. They had a scene with Dr. Selvig, Loki, and Nick Fury (black Nick Fury is ridiculous) checking out a special energy source in a suitcase. Is that in reference to something in the Marvel universe?

rockmanj
Mon, 09-05-2011, 01:15 AM
I watched Thor and didn't see any Avengers footage at the end after the credits. They had a scene with Dr. Selvig, Loki, and Nick Fury (black Nick Fury is ridiculous) checking out a special energy source in a suitcase. Is that in reference to something in the Marvel universe?

Well, that is the official "Ultimate"Nick Fury (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Nick_Fury). He has been around for a while, and I kind of prefer him to the Earth 616 one.

Animeniax
Mon, 09-05-2011, 01:33 AM
Yes, but as the wiki article states: A reinterpretation of the character Nick Fury, one of the most notable differences between the two is that the mainstream Nick Fury is an Italian American colonel with graying brown hair, while this Nick Fury is a bald African American general, specifically tailored after actor Samuel L. Jackson with his permission.

Even the David Hasselhoff portrayal of Fury is better than the Samuel Jackson version.

Penner
Mon, 09-05-2011, 09:03 AM
I also prefer the Sam Jackson version of Fury, but thats probably because i've seen/read/played more stuff with him in it, so for me he is Nick Fury (also, i'm a big fan of Sam Jackson anyway so the fact that they actually made the black Fury in his image is just extra awesome :P)

darkshadow
Mon, 09-05-2011, 10:25 AM
..while this Nick Fury is a bald African American general, specifically tailored after actor Samuel L. Jackson with his permission.[/i]

actually no:

The more familiar Samuel L. Jackson-inspired design did not appear until Nick Fury resurfaced in the 2002 series The Ultimates.

Actor Samuel L. Jackson did not originally give his consent for Marvel Comics to use his likeness in their redesign of the Fury character for The Ultimates[9], and first appeared with this revised look in The Ultimates #1, as drawn by Bryan Hitch. The similarity is even noted within the comic itself, in a scene in which the Ultimates discuss who they think should play each of them in a hypothetical movie about the team. Fury's answer for himself is "Mr. Samuel L. Jackson, of course, no discussion." It was only after seeing the redesigned Nick Fury in the first issue of The Ultimates that Samuel L. Jackson learned of the use of his likeness and contacted Marvel in order to secure the role of Nick Fury in any future Marvel movies.

They used his likeness way before they got "permission"

rockmanj
Mon, 09-05-2011, 10:56 AM
I just don't like the Earth 616's weird bodysuit, super ridiculous technology (and that is saying something) and the fact that he almost never really appears before someone. He is always sending out his "Life Model Decoys". At least Ultimate Fury gets his hands dirty from time to time.

Animeniax
Mon, 09-05-2011, 11:33 AM
actually no:

They used his likeness way before they got "permission"Shrug, I didn't edit that wiki article. Who's to say the wiki article you quoted isn't equally wrong and the first article has it right? Besides, the first article does say it was "specifically tailored after Samuel Jackson". The "with his permission" could have come after the fact, there is no continuity purported in the statement.

Either way, the original Nick Fury was cooler, and whiter.

UChessmaster
Mon, 09-05-2011, 11:45 AM
How was he cooler? and how is being whiter a good argument as to why he is better? you know what? disregard the second question, i forgot for a second you`re animeniax.

rockmanj
Mon, 09-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Apparently he knew (http://web.archive.org/web/20070928015124/http://www.samuelljackson.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=44) And I will agree with you on the latter point, but not the former. What does he need all those pouches for, anyway?

Animeniax
Mon, 09-05-2011, 01:19 PM
How was he cooler? and how is being whiter a good argument as to why he is better? you know what? disregard the second question, i forgot for a second you`re animeniax.You would have had to have read the original comics to know how cool the original Nick Fury was. He had a badass-laidback-demeanor-because-he-knows-he's-a-badass kind of demeanor. I can't say if the new Nick Fury has that kind of persona or not, but judging from the movies he doesn't.

And I like Samuel Jackson and this isn't about race, just don't like how everything is being re-written to be more diverse and politically correct. Make new characters of color, stop changing the characters of my youth to match your new world view.

rockmanj
Mon, 09-05-2011, 02:17 PM
You would have had to have read the original comics to know how cool the original Nick Fury was. He had a badass-laidback-demeanor-because-he-knows-he's-a-badass kind of demeanor. I can't say if the new Nick Fury has that kind of persona or not, but judging from the movies he doesn't.

And I like Samuel Jackson and this isn't about race, just don't like how everything is being re-written to be more diverse and politically correct. Make new characters of color, stop changing the characters of my youth to match your new world view.

Well, I have read both versions of Marvel extensively, and there are some similarities between the two Furys, but I would hardly say that Ultimate Fury is PC. He also seems to be a bit more ruthless and manipulative (if not downright villainous at times). He also seems to be more charismatic and likes to deal with people more than the standard Fury A lot of the Ultimate characters are quite different from the standard roster, and the movies tend to blend the two main continuities. I am curious as to how big of a role Fury will play in the Avengers.

FYI, if you don't like them changing the ethnicity of characters, then you probably will hate ultimate wasp (http://marvel.com/universe/Wasp_(Ultimate)) & the 2nd Ultimate Black Widow. I must say though...I am mixed on Tyrone Cash...he does not look all that strong and imposing.

Animeniax
Mon, 09-05-2011, 04:59 PM
There are characters that mattered, and then the lesser characters like the Wasp whose ethnicity doesn't matter because the character was minor. In the big scheme of things, Nick Fury was a minor character, so maybe I'm upset because it's Mace Windau in the role. If it had been any other black actor, I might be ok with the character change. Denzel Washington kind of looks like a black original Nick Fury.

rockmanj
Mon, 09-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Well, in the Ultimate books, he is one of (if not THE) the major characters, so it is kind of weird that they did not go with an original character design, but I guess I have gotten used to it.

Animeniax
Mon, 09-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Weird, since I don't recall that he had any super powers and wasn't even a mutant. He was just head of Shield and a government agent.

rockmanj
Mon, 09-05-2011, 09:33 PM
Weird, since I don't recall that he had any super powers and wasn't even a mutant. He was just head of Shield and a government agent.

In the regular marvel continuity, he doesn't age due to the "infinity formula". In the Ultimate line, he was a guinea pig for the super soldier serum, doesn't age and also has some limited super strength and a healing factor.

UChessmaster
Tue, 10-11-2011, 12:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xuR3wSKeNOc

Y
Tue, 10-11-2011, 06:25 PM
I just can't get excited for comic book movies anymore. Give it 10 years, maybe, when we move past the perez/byrne era endless origin retellings and, I dunno, go back to adapting some good comics that aren't about superheroes punching each other.

gos27
Tue, 10-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Can't wait for this, enjoyed Ironman, Thor and Captain America, hope this is even better again :)

Carnage
Tue, 10-11-2011, 09:06 PM
I just can't get excited for comic book movies anymore. Give it 10 years, maybe, when we move past the perez/byrne era endless origin retellings and, I dunno, go back to adapting some good comics that aren't about superheroes punching each other.

I see where you're coming from, but they're fun to kill time.

Animeniax
Tue, 10-11-2011, 09:21 PM
I see where you're coming from, but they're fun to kill time. Me too. I don't look forward to them so much since they're made so often and all kind of follow familiar ground, but I do enjoy them for the senseless fun and reminders of my youth.

My favorite superhero movie is The Watchmen.

UChessmaster
Tue, 10-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Have you read the comic?

Carnage
Tue, 10-11-2011, 10:10 PM

Not Batman Begins/TDK? Damn

Animeniax
Tue, 10-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Have you read the comic?No, what about it though?

Not Batman Begins/TDK? DamnBatman Begins is a close second, but the story is kind of cliched and been done before. The Watchmen had an angle that interests me more: aging superheroes past their prime and forgotten by the people they worked to save, making one last push for relevancy and meaning in their lives.

UChessmaster
Wed, 10-12-2011, 06:10 AM
The comic is pretty much one of the best comics out there, the movie did a good adaptation, but there were some scenes they skipped and the silk scepter 2 in the movie was terribly done, i`d say is worth a read.

Y
Wed, 10-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Me too. I don't look forward to them so much since they're made so often and all kind of follow familiar ground, but I do enjoy them for the senseless fun and reminders of my youth.

This is so hilarious I'm going to just believe you trolled the shit out of me expertly.

Kiryu
Thu, 10-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Ahh, the new avengers trailer looks pretty sick!

Penner
Sun, 10-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Here's the new (pre-Thor) Marvel One-Shot: "A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To Thor's Hammer (http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/168652-watch-the-full-new-marvel-one-shot-short-film)"

edit2: Added different link to the video, had a 720p youtube version linked earlier but it apparently got deleted by the request of Disney... pfft >_>

UChessmaster
Fri, 04-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Damn awsome movie, damn awsome.

oyabun
Mon, 04-30-2012, 05:13 AM
I was in trance after the movie, even more after the credits 0_o

kyubisrage
Thu, 05-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Saw the Pre Screen on Tuesday and I got TO SAY I LOVED IT!

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Mon, 05-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Worthy of its highest grossing movie of all time title......?

I think so.

Lucifus
Mon, 05-07-2012, 11:35 PM
I came, I saw, Hulk Smash.

kyubisrage
Tue, 05-08-2012, 12:20 PM
I came, I saw, Hulk Smash.

PUNY GOD

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Tue, 05-08-2012, 01:22 PM
^Everyone around me couldn't hear Hulk give out his best line of the film cause they were all still laughing too much to even hear him say it. I repeated it for them, having seen it already online (like a dumbass).

Buffalobiian
Sat, 09-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Just saw this movie today. I don't get how the Hulk suddenly went from uncontrollable timebomb to invincible, playful tank, which gave the avengers their winning card.

But yeah, it was pretty cool.

UChessmaster
Sat, 09-08-2012, 09:42 AM
If he gets stressed into hulking out he goes on a rampage, if he hulks out willingly he`s tame.

Y
Sat, 09-08-2012, 02:49 PM
It doesn't make any sense and is just a cute one-liner - much like a lot of things in the movie.

Animeniax
Sun, 09-09-2012, 02:40 AM
Just saw this movie today. I don't get how the Hulk suddenly went from uncontrollable timebomb to invincible, playful tank, which gave the avengers their winning card.

But yeah, it was pretty cool.
I'm with you, didn't see the movie until just today. Liked it a lot, in spite of the fact that some of the hype had me expecting something more. Still, probably the best Marvel movie since Spider-man 2 to me.

If he gets stressed into hulking out he goes on a rampage, if he hulks out willingly he`s tame.Is that canon or a more recent change to the character? I can't recall if he had that ability as the green Hulk.

It doesn't make any sense and is just a cute one-liner - much like a lot of things in the movie.Actually I think it's a reference to original Hulk from the early comics. He often said "puny human" before smashing someone. They even referred to it in the 2003 Hulk movie.

Y
Sun, 09-09-2012, 02:45 AM
Actually I think it's a reference to original Hulk from the early comics. He often said "puny human" before smashing someone.

I wasn't responding to that.

Animeniax
Sun, 09-09-2012, 02:55 AM
It was the last thing in the thread quoted from the movie that could possibly be considered a "cute one-liner."

fireheart
Sun, 09-09-2012, 06:39 AM
Is that canon or a more recent change to the character? I can't recall if he had that ability as the green Hulk.

It's in the Hulk movie

UChessmaster
Sun, 09-09-2012, 07:45 AM
Is that canon or a more recent change to the character? I can't recall if he had that ability as the green Hulk.

It`s canon, but the hulking out rules change like... every 3 issues.