PDA

View Full Version : TV: The Cape

Munsu
Wed, 05-26-2010, 10:39 AM
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/3399/nbcthecapeglaulyons1.jpg

The Cape is a new show starting on NBC next year. I was hoping for it to be a Fall show, but it seems like it'll be a mid-season show. From what I've seen, this will probably be my most anticipated new show coming up... and I swear that Summer Glau being in it had zero to do with it, I promise. Hopefully she'll have better luck this time around and that NBC doesn't fuck it up with weak scheduling.

The show stars David Lyons who some of you might recognize from ER. Aside from him there are a couple of interesting actors here, of course Summer Glau from Firefly and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, but also Dorian Missick from Six Degrees, Martin Klebba from Pirates of the Caribbean and Scrubs, the awesome Vinnie Jones from Snatch and X-Men: The Last Stand, and my favorite of them all Keith David from Men at Work and Pitch Black.

Officer Vince Faraday was a good cop trying to clean up a corrupt city. Framed for murder and left for dead, he suddenly found himself separated from his wife and son and forced into hiding. Now, inspired by his son's favorite comic book hero, he's taking the law into his own hands, and playing a deadly game of chess with the powerful kingpin who framed him. With the hope of one day reuniting with his family, The Cape is sending a loud message to all criminals... run.
http://www.nbc.com/the-cape/

Here's a preview and it looks pretty good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYfJSZZpia0

Inazuma
Wed, 05-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Good concept but way underbudgeted ?
(And before you say anything about summer glau looks at the school grade after effect FXs)

Munsu
Wed, 05-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Good concept but way underbudgeted ?
(And before you say anything about summer glau looks at the school grade after effect FXs)

What makes you think it's way under-budgeted? That preview showed a few scenes that are not representative of a show with a low-budget I think.

Penner
Wed, 05-26-2010, 05:12 PM
I was already looking forward to this because of Summer Glau but whats this i hear, Vinnie Jones aswell? awesomecake!!

Sapphire
Wed, 05-26-2010, 08:14 PM
This looks pretty amazing. The music at around 1:15 reminds me of Children of Men. I think I am permanently scarred by Heroes though, because I was disgusted by the carnival!

This show definitely has potential, but so did Kings, and they canceled that mofo! Hopefully the superhero aspect draws appeal though.

Munsu
Wed, 05-26-2010, 09:07 PM
This looks pretty amazing. The music at around 1:15 reminds me of Children of Men. I think I am permanently scarred by Heroes though, because I was disgusted by the carnival!

This show definitely has potential, but so did Kings, and they canceled that mofo! Hopefully the superhero aspect draws appeal though.

Go watch Carnivale if you want to get rid of that bad taste from Heroes and a carnival.

TwisT
Thu, 05-27-2010, 01:17 AM
This will definitely be a show i will watch from the start. Summer Glau sells this show by herself, but Vinnie Jones definitely seals the deal.

There where superheroes in the trailer? Shit, i was to busy watching Vinnie Jones get beat up by the midget to notice. So much awesomeness.

Munsu
Fri, 05-28-2010, 03:22 PM
More than Heroes, I think this show will have more in common with Journeyman, particularly on how the family drama portion is handled and mixed with the other portions of the plot.

Premiere date has been set. It'll start with a 2-hour premiere on Sunday January 9. After that it'll move to Mondays to air after Chuck.

It'll stay there until The Event returns on February 28. From there, who knows what will happen... it'll depend on the ratings I guess.

Munsu
Mon, 01-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Watching the first episode at the moment, and I'm disappointed so far. Overall poorly acted and tons of nonsensical scenes.

Sapphire
Mon, 01-10-2011, 11:07 PM
I am halfway through this show and I am not quite sure whether I like it or hate it. The acting is quite cheesy at times, just like Caprica's was. However, unlike Caprica, it doesn't have that sex appeal so it's hard to find a reason to keep watching. Maybe the graphics.

The carnival theme still makes me sick, but at least they are doing something clever with it. Every person in the carnival teaches him a different skill needed to become a super hero. Did anyone else laugh when he backhanded the midget? A little more finesse during the fighting sequences would be a welcome change, but hey, it's NBC.

There's some straight up magicks going on here (disappearing into thin air) but at least it's combined with other straight up magicks (contorting cape) to make him look at least a little more than one dimensional.

I was, decidedly, trolled by the trailer. I need to learn how to stop being to gullible.

PS - Franklin from True Blood is in this! He's the bestest.

Penner
Tue, 01-11-2011, 01:08 AM
I haven't watched these yet, has Vinnie Jones/Summer Glau appeared yet?

Those two are what would make me watch this :P

Sapphire
Tue, 01-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Vinnie Jones is in this. He's the same character in every show. How does he get work?

Penner
Tue, 01-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Vinnie doesn't need to change cuz i love the way he is :P

Jason Statham, Matthew Perry, Vince Vaughn, Will Ferrell, a few examples of others who acts pretty much the same in most of their movies, and i love all of them :D

Munsu
Fri, 01-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Any comments on episode 3? Haven't had the time to watch it yet.

Penner
Fri, 01-21-2011, 01:07 PM
After watching all 3 episodes i can say that so far this show is only ok... which is kind of a letdown because there's a whole bunch of actors i know from various movies/tv shows in this that i like so this show should be way better than it is.

The person that bugs me is the main dude playing "The Cape"... i don't like him and i really wish they would have cast someone better.

Disappointed as i am, i'll still continue watching because i like most of the cast.

Munsu
Tue, 02-01-2011, 09:22 PM
I haven't watched beyond episode 2, and I don't think I ever will. Ratings have been awful, and this won't last long. The 13 episode order has been cut to 10 at the moment.

I don't know why the networks can't make a freaking half-decent superhero series. Makes you look at Smallville in a new light, regardless of the problems the series has had throughout the years.

Sapphire
Tue, 02-01-2011, 09:56 PM
That sucks. This show is actually getting pretty good.

Munsu
Tue, 02-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Yeah? I might watch it eventually then depending on how it goes. I hope The CW develops a new superhero show after Smallville ends... seems like it's the only network that can have a shows like this... that and SyFy.

Sapphire
Sat, 03-12-2011, 11:24 AM
This show seriously has the best cold opens.

It's also getting pretty damn good. I hope it doesn't get cancelled for it's shaky start.

Penner
Sat, 03-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Oh, it's getting better?

I haven't watched it in a while, got eps 6-9 saved up... i'm thinking that i'll watch em IF the show gets a second season, otherwise it kinda feels like a waste of time tbh :P

Sapphire
Sat, 03-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Nevermind, it got cancelled. Episode 10 is apparently the last episode. That's freakin' messed up! :(

Munsu
Wed, 03-16-2011, 07:31 AM
Well you're screwed. The Cape has been taken off the schedule, and as I understand it, the final episode to be "aired" will only be online:
http://www.nbc.com/the-cape/

Sapphire
Wed, 03-16-2011, 11:41 AM
I think the final episode was on episode 10, on Hulu.

Absolutely no plot lines were solved. :(

I've never seen the a show axed to jaggedly. What a waste of time!

Munsu
Fri, 03-18-2011, 12:54 AM
It's not uncommon.

Don't know if 10 episodes is all that were produced, but if you're lucky more will come out at some point, but I wouldn't count on it.

Sapphire
Fri, 03-18-2011, 11:34 AM
They even stopped production after episode 10, apparently.