PDA

View Full Version : Movie: Mass Effect

Penner
Tue, 05-25-2010, 10:45 AM
Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros. scored film rights to 'Mass Effect' (http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/17317/-mass-effect-gets-a-movie)

Another article from "Heat Vision" (http://www.heatvisionblog.com/2010/05/mass-effect-video-game-on-way-to-movie-screen.html)

This has the potential to be sooo awesome!

I love the games, the universe, and all the characters in it.

They better not fuck this up.

Ryllharu
Tue, 05-25-2010, 03:02 PM
They better not fuck this up.
Yeah.

It's not looking too good already; the second article already has its facts wrong. Commander Shepard is female. :p

I don't know if I can handle a Shepard that isn't voiced by Jennifer Hale.

Dark Dragon
Tue, 05-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Yeah.

It's not looking too good already; the second article already has its facts wrong. Commander Shepard is female. :p

I don't know if I can handle a Shepard that isn't voiced by Jennifer Hale.

Can America handle female Shepard and Liara doing the deed on the big screen?

Penner
Tue, 05-25-2010, 05:12 PM
I always played Shepard as male :P, mostly because i felt that was the way it was "intended", as most of the(all?) promo pictures/posters i saw of the game featured male Shepard with the original/default face.

Ryllharu
Tue, 05-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Merciless one minute, gently persuading the next, subject to the random whims of an unknown incomprehensible thought process (the player)? There shouldn't be any doubt that Shepard is a woman.

As for the promotional videos/posters/art, I never understood why they never gave female Shep any love. Her VA is better than his VA in the role in my opinion. There was comment on Joystiq about Battlestar Galactica recasting a former male character as a female one (Starbuck (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kara_Thrace#Casting)), no reason it can't happen again.

Penner
Tue, 05-25-2010, 07:49 PM
Merciless one minute, gently persuading the next, subject to the random whims of an unknown incomprehensible thought process (the player)? There shouldn't be any doubt that Shepard is a woman.

But since i played my Shepard as male, and went (almost) full Paragon, it would be totally weird for me to see a female as Shepard in the movie because it would not fit with the image i have of Shepard :P

And that will be very tricky for them to get right when making the movie, as the entire game relies on the individual playing it to select whatever that they feel like, making each person who played through the game have their own somewhat unique "mental picture" of how they think Shepard should behave and how he/she should look.

So its pretty much impossible for them to make the character of Shepard in one "right" way, because no matter how they decide to portray him/her, it will differ from the image a lot of people already have of who Commander Shepard should be as a person.

TwisT
Tue, 05-25-2010, 11:14 PM
I don't really have a problem with it. I played as both a female and male. First Paragon Male and then Renegade Female. Second game i only played as a male though. Tried to play female but once i realized that you couldn't hit on Yvonne Strahovski (Miranda), and the only male worth hitting on was Grunt (and he wasn't interested in love), i just said fuck it and restarted as a male again.

Genma
Wed, 05-26-2010, 02:14 AM
Ugh... god... why...

What popular next-gen video game isn't getting a movie nowadays?

I can see this being pretty good, but nowhere near as good as the games. For that you'd have to get a budget on par with Avatar for the CGI.

Dark Dragon
Wed, 05-26-2010, 03:11 AM
They managed to make a good Star Trek film for 150 mil. The problem is whether Mass Effect will get that kind of budget. The series is pretty popular, but together the 2 game sold maybe 5 million units. It might get a sizable budget but i'm not sure it'll be enough to truly represent the universe.