PDA

View Full Version : Sarai-ya Goyou (House of Five Leaves)

seanos
Fri, 04-16-2010, 03:03 PM
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/3667/41624.jpg

Akitsu Masanosuke is a timid ronin on his way to Edo from the countryside when he accidentally encounters a playboy named Yaichi, who asks him to be his bodyguard. But it turns out that Yaichi is actually the leader of a group of bandits called the "Five Leaves," and he's hoping that Masanosuke will join them. Masanosuke is reluctant to help them, but as grows closer to his eccentric new companions, he learns to relate to them and grow as a person in the process.

(Adaptation of Ono Natsume's House of Five Leaves [Sarai-ya Goyou] manga.).

Episode 01 - KPR (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=124804)

This was another one I was interested in this season.
Artwork is unusual, and switches somewhat depending if dealing with present/past.
Period samuari anime, main character being skilled with the sword, but his personality leaves him weak.
Very slow starting off, reckon will need to watch 3-5 episodes to get proper feel for it, though looks as it's going to be main character joining gang, and coming out of his shell, gets the girl too no doubt.

I'll stick with it for the time being.

Testarossa Autodrive
Sat, 04-17-2010, 03:42 AM
I am absolutely in love with the artwork. I don't know what it reminds me of, but it does something. *shrug* I also like that it is a period samurai genre and two great voice actors that stand out to me.

Although the first episode was slow, I think I'll stick with this one. I am very interested in seeing what happens.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 04-20-2010, 09:52 PM
Art is similar to Ristorante Paradiso, a nice josei series that aired a few seasons ago.

Spiegel
Mon, 06-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Your own GotWoot fansubs has picked up House of Five Leaves as its first anime to sub. As such, I am here to announce our first release (If you did not see it on the front page). We are happy to bring this wonderful anime into your homes.

Without further adieu, here are the links you have been waiting for: HD Torrent (http://cbebop.net/dls/fansub/torrent/%5bGotWoot%5d_House_of_Five_Leaves_01_%5b720p_H264 %5d%5b1C8A5541%5d.mkv.torrent)

Testarossa Autodrive
Mon, 06-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Is there any way to get it in .avi format? I have a touchy computer that gets pissy whenever it tries to play .mkv even with the right codecs. >_>

Board of Command
Mon, 06-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Is there any way to get it in .avi format? I have a touchy computer that gets pissy whenever it tries to play .mkv even with the right codecs. >_>
Use MPC-HC and its built-in codecs.

Testarossa Autodrive
Mon, 06-07-2010, 09:41 PM
I do use MPC-HC or have in the past. I think right now I'm just using VLC when I want to broadcast something and in .avi format because MPC video doesn't like to show up. I've tried every codec known to man and fiddled with the output options as well to no avail.

animus
Mon, 06-07-2010, 10:05 PM
http://tokyotosho.info/search.php?terms=five+leaves&type=0&size_min=&size_max=&username=

I spy GotWoot on TokyoTosho. Nice. Guess I'll download ep 1. The past 3 or so eps I've downloaded the BigPancake files which're just Funimation rips.

edit: Watched most of the ep, not a bad job so far. Maybe it's just me, but I felt some of the translations were a tad too literal, and then at other times quite liberal with jargon. For example the lines "Those dumplings looked scrumptious.", "My bad", "This guy is such a pussy.", "Bitch I'll remember this."

The touches were nice, like translating shop signs, etc.

I'm not sure if I missed it or not, but isn't there supposed to be a credits thing somewhere? Like Raw-Provider, Translator, QC, etc. People usually throw that in the OP Karaoke. Maybe people don't do that any more, shrug.

The1LittleMchale
Tue, 06-08-2010, 01:13 AM
I just watched it now myself. I like the show already and I thought you guys did a bang up job on your first attempt at fansubbing as a fresh team.

Sapphire
Tue, 06-08-2010, 09:25 AM
http://tokyotosho.info/search.php?terms=five+leaves&type=0&size_min=&size_max=&username=

I spy GotWoot on TokyoTosho. Nice. Guess I'll download ep 1. The past 3 or so eps I've downloaded the BigPancake files which're just Funimation rips.

edit: Watched most of the ep, not a bad job so far. Maybe it's just me, but I felt some of the translations were a tad too literal, and then at other times quite liberal with jargon. For example the lines "Those dumplings looked scrumptious.", "My bad", "This guy is such a pussy.", "Bitch I'll remember this."

The touches were nice, like translating shop signs, etc.

I'm not sure if I missed it or not, but isn't there supposed to be a credits thing somewhere? Like Raw-Provider, Translator, QC, etc. People usually throw that in the OP Karaoke. Maybe people don't do that any more, shrug.
A lot of stuff in the episode just Japanese slang (or downright rude), so transliterated it somewhat into American colloquialisms. When Masa bumps into the ronin gangsters, he says a form of "excuse me" which is so slangy/disparaging (my bad) that it's not in the dictionary, which is probably what offends the ronin and makes them want to fight. I interpreted it as out of character for him, (perhaps an attempt to quell an argument before it starts because he's socially awkward?) thus coming out awkward and offending them. "What the hell is 'My Bad?!'"

There's also the rampant use of "gozaru/gozaimasu" (how Masa speaks which is pretty much samurai talk. If you've ever watched "Samurai High School" it shows you the tension between samurai speech and every day speech. It isn't common everyday Japanese, especially as opposed to other characters in the show. Like Shakespeare meets Will Smith. Kudos to Lunar (and RIP) for transliterating their slang top notch! Umezou and Ichi are a bit more "everyday", with Ume opting to be more rude. Still working on how to transliterate this in a flow that's audience friendly.

And for scrumptious--> Realized I would get tired of using delicious (literally one of Japan's favorite words) and opted for a synonym lol, Eclipse seems to get away with this XD. And tasty/yummy sounds weird for a starving samurai. Bitch --> He cusses at them. Dark humor. (IMO) Pussy --> I think he literally says weak willed coward+offensive/belittling conjugation (from what I remember).

I find it pretty interesting that Masa is the only one who talks like a humble samurai. (Samurai form = extremely humble). Perhaps it's because of his personality problem? (Or maybe just because he's a samurai lol) Either way, it sort of sets him apart from other characters. Had a discussion with Kit about this so maybe she can provide input. Or shinta, our lovely TLC.

Some things were/are just so archaic that they could not/cannot be translated, even by a native Japanese. I assume this was intentionally done to make things more authentic. Thus there are some limitations to doing a historical anime.

You brought up VERY good points, If I could I would put up TL notes on the FP after comp revamps it.

We won't be having credits in the episodes since so many people do/did different things, and it would mess with the quality to cram all the names in. But maybe Al or someone has time to write down who did what in here if you're curious

Thanks to everyone who enjoyed the release!

namaiki
Tue, 06-08-2010, 10:57 AM
I do use MPC-HC or have in the past. I think right now I'm just using VLC when I want to broadcast something and in .avi format because MPC video doesn't like to show up. I've tried every codec known to man and fiddled with the output options as well to no avail.

Try the latest CCCP beta (cccp-project.net/wiki/index.php?title=CCCP_Beta_Testing_Guide), with default settings and use the MPC-HC that is installed with it.

Alhuin
Tue, 06-08-2010, 01:37 PM
--------
Positions

Raw Getter/Capper {elitefags}
Translators {shinta, masamune (signs, miscellaneous), Sapphire}
*Translation Checker {shinta, kaq}
Encoders {BoC}
Karaoke {Sapphire, pyointa}
Timers {namaiki}
Typesetters {KitKat}
Distro {Spiegel (FTP/MAIN), DO (XDCC), Comp (TRACKER)}
QCers {KitKat, RedNeckNoob, Spiegel, Alhuin}
Editors {Sapphire, KitKat, BoC}

Just copied it from the "Gotwoot Subs" thread.
Since we are just starting out, we don't have a set "team" to design credits for... As it is, I actually didn't do anything for this release because of my work schedule and IRL issues I had to deal with. And I'm not even sure who pyointa is, or kaq; I don't remember seeing them in the IRC channel.

Anyways, after time, we will probably integrate GW credits into the OP credits, much like every other fansub team does.

Sapphire
Tue, 06-08-2010, 02:00 PM
We won't be adding credits to the eps.

Also, various staff members in the group may taking multiple roles per ep and it will probably continue to be like that regardless of how long we've been a group.

pyointa and kaq took on the roles as stated in Al's staff list. Also, pyointa isn't staff per se, but I added him because he's teaching me how to Karaoke FX and we used his script for the OP/ED

@Testarossa: One of the encoders also suggested that you try mplayer.

Testarossa Autodrive
Tue, 06-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Try the latest CCCP beta (cccp-project.net/wiki/index.php?title=CCCP_Beta_Testing_Guide), with default settings and use the MPC-HC that is installed with it.

Yeah, I've done that. Had CCCP for some time now and just redownloaded it. Still doesn't do a damn thing.

@Sapphire: I tried that. It's still freezing every second, though the audio is still synced with the video. It's not playing smoothly.

animus
Tue, 06-08-2010, 04:46 PM
No offense, but maybe it's your PC? Or if you have a decent video card you can try turning on h.264 DXVA in the filter options.

1080p files didn't play smoothly at all for me without that turned on. But then again the file's 720p, so shrug.

Testarossa Autodrive
Tue, 06-08-2010, 05:17 PM
I'm assuming it's my PC. Everything I've tried which should have had at least some slight difference is not working, so the only thing I can think of is that my specs are sh*t. *shrug*

Sapphire
Tue, 06-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Try uninstalling all of your codecs instead of MPC itself. If that doesn't work, everything uninstalled cept CoreAVC. It worked for me. XD (Not that it would necessarily wok for you)

Testarossa Autodrive
Tue, 06-08-2010, 06:22 PM
I've done that before a while ago when I was first trying to fix the problem. I've Googled the issue a countless number of times and have been working on it for a while, but I just don't know what the problem is. I've settled for .avi from now on unless the file is reencoded (Board of Command's reencoded FMA Brotherhood .mkv files worked fine), but not everyone offers that.

oyabun
Tue, 06-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Nice! I have been waiting for GWSubs.

namaiki
Tue, 06-08-2010, 11:09 PM
I'm assuming it's my PC.

What are the specs?

Testarossa Autodrive
Tue, 06-08-2010, 11:15 PM
@namaiki:

3GB Ram
2ghz processor, amd turion dual-core mobile rm-70

namaiki
Tue, 06-08-2010, 11:24 PM
uh, install the latest cccp beta, make sure your PC's power profile is set to balanced, and do a reset of all settings (an option on the second page of the cccp settings application) and then open the file in mpc-hc.

What is under the menu, Play-> Filters?

Testarossa Autodrive
Wed, 06-09-2010, 12:26 AM
That seemed to do the trick. Thanks!

Sapphire
Wed, 06-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Namaiki, you are a genius.

Kraco
Mon, 06-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Seemed like good work. The show was also interesting and certainly gave seinen vibes. The only thing wrong are the ugly character designs (the cat was the only cute character), but I guess you can't have everything. The backgrounds at least were jolly good with the pastel colours.

No credits felt strange despite the fact I exceedingly rarely look at them anyway. I guess it's just one of those thing you may not even notice when they are there but you notice they absence easily.

Thanks for the hard work!

Sapphire
Wed, 06-16-2010, 01:52 AM
Gotwoot - 02 (http://azureresonata.net/GotWoot/Torrents/%5bGotWoot%5d_House_of_Five_Leaves_02_%5b720p_H264 %5d%5bDE06722E%5d%20.mkv.torrent)

Please enjoy

Kraco
Wed, 06-16-2010, 10:01 AM
The QC people had let a couple of mistakes past them, like a missing comma and apostrophe. Good work otherwise, though. Thanks.

What comes to the show itself, I'm constantly hanging between disliking and tolerating Masa. It's so annoying how he's indecisively telling he's not going to join the group yet still seeks their company (and food). I'd otherwise probably get used to his timid personality.

Many things about the characters in this show, whether reoccurring or fleeting, feel very realistic and natural. It's not immediately evident what they are after (if anything) and not all their lines probably serve some bigger plot and development.

Spiegel
Sat, 06-19-2010, 12:07 PM
GotWoot - 03 (http://www.gotwoot.net/torrents/%5BGotWoot%5D_House_of_Five_Leaves_03_%5B720p_H264 %5D%5B425FE774%5D.mkv.torrent)

Hope you love it!

The1LittleMchale
Sun, 06-20-2010, 02:45 AM
I am starting to enjoy the artists work in this one... I feel the art flows well with the story and adds new flavor... But I might just be nutz...

Kraco
Sun, 06-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Quite a forceful way to force Masa to join the group. It should have crushed his pride nicely as well. Still, he should have predicted the whole thing when he suddenly got the good job and then Matsu kept appearing. It was funny how he was himself half a victim in the kidnapping despite being in it. He's a bit too naive and trusting for his own good.

Sapphire
Sun, 06-20-2010, 01:14 PM
I thought it was pretty weird that Masa didn't notice too. But then again, Matsu didn't notice right away either and he's like a ninja detective. It's funny because it's not like the place is littered with kids. But then again the boy received like 0 attention from his "parents". It was so cute when Masa and the boy were sleeping together.

Also lol @ Masa not being able to hold down a job. I agree with the harshness of using Masa as a pawn for the kidnapping. Sort of sad, but he was asking for it.

I actually kinda like Masa, even though he's all timid and lacking in self-confidence. I really don't see anything dislikable about any of the characters, weirdly.

masamuneehs
Mon, 06-21-2010, 07:21 AM
this is my favorite episode so far in the series. you really get to see that Masa is the perfect patsy. Yaichi certainly didn't inform him about the change of plans BECAUSE he knew Masa would be a bigger help unknowingly.

that one woman was so nasty. man, someone should kidnap HER.

the most interesting thing in this episode is the flashback at the end. if you couple it together with the flashback that starts off the very first episode, it makes alot more sense. i've watched them a few times, because at first i was confused as to whether or not they were flashbacks, and particularly about the name "Yaichi"

The boy with the Five Leaves burn on his back is called Saegusa Seinoshin (but I have to believe that it's actually Yaichi/Ichi, who has taken his name from the servant in the first episode (who is later revealed to have been involved in the plot to kidnap/murder him)). It appears he has been adopted by the Saegusa family because there is something wrong with the mother, who eventually does get pregnant (and i'd guess that's when she arranges Seinoshin's kidnapping)

The other man in the flashback is Heiza, who is being punished by his father and forced to sit outside, when Yaichi finds him. Unless my premonition's are failing me, he's the man who introduces himself as Yagi ("I come from a rich family that I just leech off of"). To me, he's one of those When the Shit Hits the Fan, This Guy is Gonna be There characters.

also, i'm really falling in love with the OP. poppy and a bit modern-plus, but it's perfect because it absolutely doesn't match any of the music of art style or ANYTHING of the show.

i still sometimes struggle to identify certain people with the art style, but it is certainly nice and unique.

Kraco
Mon, 06-21-2010, 08:36 AM
also, i'm really falling in love with the OP. poppy and a bit modern-plus, but it's perfect because it absolutely doesn't match any of the music of art style or ANYTHING of the show.

I wish you could tell me the name of another song (from some other anime, I reckon) that this OP forcibly reminds me of every time. The haunting feeling in the back of my mind when listerning to this OP bothers me to no end.

Anyway, quite an acute analysis. I agree on Yaichi being the boy. Although with the group name being what it is and Yaichi appearing as the head, I suppose that's given. Of course it would also explain his outer behavior and attitude. What's inside, is yet to be revealed.

Spiegel
Tue, 06-29-2010, 01:22 AM
Chugging along to give you another wonderful episode!

GotWoot - 04 (http://www.gotwoot.net/torrents/%5BGotWoot%5D_House_of_Five_Leaves_04_%5B720p_H264 %5D%5BA6463343%5D.mkv.torrent)

Kraco
Tue, 06-29-2010, 12:27 PM
I hope Masa will grow some guts now that he lives with people instead of a cat (although the beginning didn't look too good) and if he indeed aims to learn something about Yaichi. That would be the first aim of his so far. With an aim, he could gather resolution.

The cat still kicked the most ass in this episode. Too bad we probably won't be seeing it anymore with Masa relocating his sorry ass to the red lights.

Sapphire
Fri, 07-02-2010, 01:33 PM
GotWoot - 05 (http://www.gotwoot.net/torrents/%5BGotWoot%5D_House_of_Five_Leaves_05_%5B720p_H264 %5D%5BAFEE21B2%5D.mkv.torrent)

Kraco
Fri, 07-02-2010, 02:55 PM
I could do with less flashbacks but all in all it was an okay episode. Didn't progress the plot overly much, though. Unless building the characters is the story of this show, in reality.

At least Okinu keeps getting cuter as her personality grows.

Testarossa Autodrive
Fri, 07-02-2010, 06:19 PM
This show is 98% character building, which doesn't bother me since it's such a short series (12 episodes). I am still in love with it. I just watched the last episode on Hulu yesterday and it was definitely worth it.

Sapphire
Thu, 07-08-2010, 12:29 AM
GotWoot - 06 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=142198)

Kraco
Thu, 07-08-2010, 01:15 AM
Comment: House of Five Leaves EP 5 by GotWoot Fansubs.​​ We are not at #gotwoot@irc.​​rizon.​​net

Wut? It's not your channel? And EP 5? Whoever submitted the torrent to Tokyotosho has been skipping too much sleep.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 07-08-2010, 02:01 AM
If I weren't in the group I would find that hilarious. I just find it funny now.

I think not = now?

Kraco
Thu, 07-08-2010, 08:23 AM
This was an interesting episode and Masa saw some action as well. In fact, I think it was that action that cured him of the Edo sickness. Since it was no real disease, it probably helped him find his peace of mind again, as he was able to prove himself he can still do something and not just loiter in other people's corners, to be used or paid for stuff he thinks he didn't do.

I'm glad the blackmailer punk got offed. He had it coming.

Sapphire
Thu, 07-08-2010, 11:24 AM
LOLz my fault. I reread it last night, then: "NO EDIT BUTTON WHAT WHY???" I'll go in #TT IRC and see if I can fix it.

Also I really loved this episode. Things are starting to get interestinggg.

KitKat
Thu, 07-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Great ep and certainly intriguing ending. Woo, Yaichi backstory! I need to start editing the next ep so I can find out what it is.

Sapphire
Thu, 07-08-2010, 03:11 PM
House of Five Leaves - Fansub Comparisons (http://ji-hi.net/goyou/index.html)

masamuneehs
Tue, 07-13-2010, 09:53 AM
episode 07 is one of my favorite episodes, because we finally get some backstory on Yaichi, and there's some really strong developing tension, which is something this show's first half dozen episodes were somewhat lacking.

Yagi, the high-born man who remembers the past and the one who calls himself Yaichi, the abandoned child who refuses to acknowledge the past. I have a feeling when those Yakuza get out of jail, both of these two are going to take center stage, but it's really going to come down to Masa.

I loved the end of the episode. Ninja time!