PDA

View Full Version : Hayao Miyazaki tribute on French/German TV (ARTE)

David75
Fri, 04-09-2010, 11:04 AM
I choose this section because it is really region centric.

So Arte is broadcasting 6 movies from Hayao Miyasaki, in SD and HD. You can even select Japanese audio and French subtitles for the SD version (I guess German subtitles for those watching Arte in Germany)

Movies are
Spirited Away 千と千尋の神隠し Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi(already broadcasted 04/05/2010)

My Neighbor Totoro となりのトトロ Tonari no Totoro (already broadcasted yesterday)

Howl's Moving Castle ハウルの動く城 Hauru no Ugoku Shiro (4/12/2010)

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind 風の谷のナウシカ Kaze no Tani no Naushika (4/15/2010)

Princess Mononoke もののけ姫 Mononoke-hime (4/19/2010)

Laputa: Castle in the Sky 天空の城ラピュタ Tenkū no Shiro Rapyuta (4/21/2010)

They are in a Japanese cycle on that chanel, broadcasting various material.
For example they broadcasted James Clavell's Shogun adaptation with Richard Chamberlain. My very first contact with Japanese language as I've seen the original run when I was a child.

So for those living in France/Germany if there are, and they have arte, or just know about those languages and have arte, have fun!

Kraco
Fri, 04-09-2010, 06:34 PM
I have all those Ghibli movies and then some more on DVD. Jolly good stuff. Although not all of them have Finnish subs for extra pleasure because I bought many before they had been released in Finland. Now I'm only waiting for Ponyo's price to drop. Having watched it already in a movie threater, I'm in no hurry to pay the full price.

David75
Wed, 04-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Some/most of those movies I listed were in theathers here in Paris when they were released.
I didn't have the interest I have now for anime at the time. I thought of them as child cartoons at the time, because I did not bother getting information. Also, I might not be a theater guy, and I was in the years when sports and studies were more important to me.

Now that I can finally watch those, I'm still a bit reserved.
Chihiro was fun, but I wasn't able to get into that world as I was in Kamichu! (I know that Kamichu! being more recent has an advantage.

Totoro was a fun slice of life with a poetic supernatural taste to it, liked it.

Howl's castle had me lost, I was just watching animated scenes from start to finish and couldn't extract anything of interrest out of it.

I'll comment on the other ones to come.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 04-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Howl's moving castle is one of his works that doesn't evoke as much emotions. i'll need to watch Sprited Away again.

My all-time favourite would have to be Castle in the Sky.

There are a few that I haven't seen though, so that may well change after I see everything.