PDA

View Full Version : TV: The Pacific

Pandadice
Mon, 04-05-2010, 05:59 PM
anyone watching The Pacific?

It's like Band of Brothers only it's the marines fighting Japan on the pacific front.

I've watched the first 3 episodes, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm gonna go watch the 4th one now.

Assassin
Tue, 04-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Ya, been following this since the first ep. Definitely a very powerful and moving seires, but what else would you expect from tom hanks and spielberg.

And im really diggin the intro sequence....very well done, and quite artistic.

Edit: and on the subject of the latest episode....epic. Every few min i remind myself that it's all real, and it just makes me appreciate it that much more.

Pandadice
Tue, 04-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Man, the part in ep 1 where he's looking through the Japanese bag and finds the photo and doll, I teared up real bad :(

Edit: and on the subject of the latest episode....epic. Every few min i remind myself that it's all real, and it just makes me appreciate it that much more.

I know, right? What a powerful series..

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Wed, 04-07-2010, 11:49 AM
this could knock off BoB as my favorite show/movie. so far its incredibly well done, wondering if they're gonna stick with Lucky or start changing the perspectives up again.

Assassin
Wed, 04-07-2010, 01:03 PM
From what i've read, they said they'd follow the story of 3 seperate individuals, though they would be independent story lines....Leckie, the kid with the heart murmur from ep 1, and i think those 3 italian friends.

Pandadice
Wed, 04-07-2010, 02:34 PM
man, being such a fan of Japan and Japanese culture, it's so hard to watch parts of this. like when the Japanese are literally running one after another into the machine gun fire.. Those parts in it that make me want to not watch it.. :(

Pandadice
Mon, 04-12-2010, 08:52 PM
awman, at the end of this episode I was like "That's it? I need more!"

I think this ep was the first time the Americans were in a notably grim situation.. It was the first time I was able to root for them. All the other times when it was just the Japanese literally charging their machine gun fire, I just couldn't cheer for the Americans :\. But this invasion was different.

Pandadice
Mon, 04-19-2010, 10:47 PM
between the rifle grenades and dog i was getting pretty strong COD:World at War vibes from the new episode (ep 6). It was the first time I actually realized that this is a lot of the same stuff as WAW. If I saw someone setting/tripping a betty I would've lost it xD

The airfield reminded me a ton of the airfield map on WAW too. I think it'd be pretty funny if it was somewhat inspired/based around that.. Considering how COD has taken things from BOB/a lot of movies and whatnot.

how badly was Lucky (is that his name?) injured? He didn't lose a leg or anything did he? (I ask because he was in the wheelchair and all)

Assassin
Tue, 04-20-2010, 12:42 AM
Leckie is his name...and no, i dont think he lost a leg. It seemed the shockwave just blew him face first into a tree or something, but then there was the scene with him coughing up blood in the med ship. The wheelchair could be just temporary, or maybe he had a spine injury and is paralyzed. Thats the vibe i got from the way he was all depressed and asked the other guy to take him topside.

animus
Tue, 04-20-2010, 11:55 PM
That and I'm guessing it's supposed to be a cliffhanger since it waited til the end for it to pan out so you could see his wheelchair.

Pandadice
Mon, 04-26-2010, 02:23 PM
New episode was good. But where was Leckie? D:

Assassin
Mon, 04-26-2010, 04:50 PM
well this ep was focused on sledge, and his unit....as i said earlier on, they're following 3 separate story lines, Sledge, Basilone and Leckie. I guess we'll see more of Leckie next week.

Genma
Mon, 04-26-2010, 11:01 PM
Pretty intense episode.

As for the next few, I don't think they'll focus on Leckie.<Don't bring in other sources of information here please>

It'll most likely be Sledge and the war bonds guy.

-Assassin

Pandadice
Tue, 04-27-2010, 08:41 AM
Pretty intense episode.

As for the next few, I don't think they'll focus on Leckie.<Don't bring in other sources of information here please>

It'll most likely be Sledge and the war bonds guy.

-Assassin

well that's understandable. considering how much attention Leckie got in the beginning, I think it's fair Sledge gets a lot of focus himself.

Pandadice
Tue, 05-11-2010, 03:34 PM
whoa ep 9 was terrifying.. And I don't mean that lightly..

When they were shoving the Japanese prisoner who was next to the road I just really wanted to turn the episode off cause I couldn't stand watching that. But it moved along and went passed that quick enough that I kept watching.. But man, later on when the Japanese sent the civilians down the pathway as a human shield, that was too much for me. I couldn't watch that.. I just had to kinda divert my attention..

But then in the end I really liked how Sledge came full circle, and not only embraced the girl as she died, but yelled at those guys for killing the kid.

So in the end since that guy brought up the fact that we bombed them, was this the last episode? Or will there be 1 more? I figure it'll have 1 more as a sort of wrap-up episode.

Genma
Tue, 05-18-2010, 12:28 PM
The last episode wrapped up the series pretty well. I think I enjoyed Sledge's story the most, not because it had the most battles, but because the war really took a toll on him. At the end when it shows the actual picture of him, that vacant stare speaks volumes.

Leckie's story was pretty good as well, but I wasn't really a fan of how they portrayed Basilone. When he dies, they made him get shot in a super dramatic fashion, where in real life he got hit by a mortar. I know it'd probably be too gruesome to show how it actually happened, but yeah, I think they should've done it differently.

Overall it was really good. A lot of people say it's not as good as Band of Brothers, but I think that's partially because they didn't have a whole lot of material to work with. It's mostly firsthand written accounts from soldiers who died years ago, whereas with BoB you had Steven Ambrose's book as well as the surviving people who experienced it first hand. I know there were a few people who survived, but none of them are the main characters in the Pacific, which makes it sort of hard.

Anyways, can't believe it's been 10 weeks since I first started watching. Time flies.

Pandadice
Wed, 05-19-2010, 09:00 AM
I know it'd probably be too gruesome to show how it actually happened

wait, what?

I think the matter of dramatic bullet over mortar shell is just the hollywood effect coming into play.

I agree it wrapped up nicely. But man, seeing the difference in how Leckie rejoined society, and how Sledge did was terrifying. The way Sledge just broke down and cried, and couldn't sleep and junk. man.

I wasn't really into Basilone either. And the difference between the Leckie story and Sledge's story is like watching two different shows. But overall, it was really good, imo.

as far as material, both Sledge and Leckie wrote books on their experiences, and those books are what this is mainly based off of. After I finished the last episode, I went out and bought both books xD (A Helmet for my Pillow, and With the Old Breed)

I dunno how I'd compare it to BOB. I mean, I love Band of Brothers. But even if I found it to be better, I wouldn't let that discredit this series. I think both are are good shows.