PDA

View Full Version : Angel Beats!

Kraco
Sat, 04-03-2010, 01:53 AM
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/9924/angelbeatsss.jpg

"In a world after death, angels fight for their fate and their future. Yuri, the leader of the Shinda Sekai Sensen, rebels against the god who destined her to have an unreasonable life. On the otherhand, Tenshi, the chairperson of the student council for the world after death, battles against the SSS members. SSS members utilize armed weaponry to battle it out against the angels harnessing supernatural powers." -ANN

Genres: Contemporary Fantasy, Seinen, Action

Links:
AniDB (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=6564)
ANN (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=10885)
Official (http://www.angelbeats.jp/)
NSFW: interview with the creator Jun Maeda on Sankaku (http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/03/31/angel-beats-creator-key-founder-jun-maeda-interviewed/)

Episode 1 HDv2 (http://mazuisubs.com/torrents/Mazui_Angel_Beats_-_01v2_B1437C35.mkv.torrent) | SD (http://mazuisubs.com/torrents/Mazui_Angel_Beats_-_01_XviD633616B9.avi.torrent) - Mazui

- - - - - - - - - -

Somehow this ended up as a somewhat hyped series of this season, perhaps due to the fact it has connections to Key, the company behind Kanon and Clannad, which were undeniably high-class series. Perhaps also because the main character resembles somewhat one uber hyped melancholic main character of another series.

Aside from the experienced creator and the main dude voiced by Bakemonogatari's Araragi's VA, the main girl Yuri is voiced by quite a noob (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=28607) with only a limited number of shows. She did seem to do quite well, considering that.

Like I said, I read too much about this show and thus didn't really know what to expect. The first ep flowed nicely enough and more importantly I haven't got a clue of what's going to happen later, which is always a plus. The action wasn't bad either, though it's hard to see whether it actually leads anywhere; I suppose that would depend on the plot. The humour wasn't at least yet on a par with Kanon and Clannad, maybe due to the dude not remembering anything and thus not being in any position to make fun out of the others. Design was pleasing.

I'll keep watching, though I'm at the moment far from calling this an excellent show as such (like I'd Kanon 2006 and Clannad). Production values were perfectly ok but beyond that it will have to prove itself along the way.

David75
Sat, 04-03-2010, 11:25 AM
That ep was only interesting thanks to the camera movements visual effects.
Nothing else in those 23 minutes to have me want try episode 2.
Yet I will watch that second ep, just in case.

Alhuin
Sat, 04-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Any word that Eclipse is going to pick this up, since they did both Kanon and Clannad? I checked the fansub wiki about a week ago and they weren't listed. It just doesn't feel right =/

Ryllharu
Sat, 04-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Any word that Eclipse is going to pick this up, since they did both Kanon and Clannad? I checked the fansub wiki about a week ago and they weren't listed. It just doesn't feel right =/
It isn't a KEY series though, it is just Jun Maeda (from KEY) and a few other staff. Static-Subs is reportedly looking for a joint to do the project with, so I would guess from that that Eclipse was not interested.

Archangel
Sat, 04-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Also they already picked up maid-sama so the chances of them doing another show are pretty slim

Alhuin
Sat, 04-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Oh, okay. I saw KEY, so I figured it was the entire KEY staff. But after reading up on it, it still is some KEY staff, as well as the production company behind True Tears and Cannan, so I'll be picking this up regardless.

Do you guys recommend Mazui's subs, or wait for someone else.

Archangel
Sat, 04-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Do you guys recommend Mazui's subs, or wait for someone else.
They're good enough to watch but i wouldn't archive them

Kraco
Sat, 04-03-2010, 01:14 PM
It isn't a KEY series though, it is just Jun Maeda (from KEY) and a few other staff.

I think you are wrong, Ryll. Key should be among the producting companies of this show.

Ryllharu
Sat, 04-03-2010, 03:04 PM
I think you are wrong, Ryll. Key should be among the producting companies of this show.
AniDB only shows Jun Maeda and Ga-Na (character design) as being staff members of Key. The two of them appear to be working on this as a side project. They show only Aniplex and P.A. Works for animation and main production. I would hesitate to say that the involvement of two people infers all of Key as it does for AIR, Clannad and Kanon.

Visual Arts, however, is on for production, and they are the parent company of Key. Key also has Angel Beats listed prominently on their website.

Still...they've made an awful lot of effort to separate out Maeda and Ga-Na during the promotion of this. It is more like how they separated Hisaya Naoki for the creation of sola (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=5019).

Kraco
Sat, 04-03-2010, 03:15 PM
ANN shows Key as well. But then again, ANN isn't the most trustworthy of sources. The interview translated on Sankaku also states Key's participation, which is a source I trust more.

Still, you could be correct. I didn't spot in the ED "Key" mentioned separately, only after the names of the dudes (I assume).

ForteCross
Sat, 04-03-2010, 06:22 PM
i got lost on this episode... is this anime based on a game?
and does it has a manga?

Pandadice
Sat, 04-03-2010, 09:24 PM
i got lost on this episode... is this anime based on a game?
and does it has a manga?

No, not based on a game. And I don't think it has a manga.

It's an original story by Jun Maede.

animus
Sat, 04-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Very weird setting. I had no idea what was going on, but I was quite intrigued.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-04-2010, 12:24 AM
My opinion pretty much echoes David's. The visuals are good, but other than that, nothing stands out terribly much. I didn't find any points funny or "cool" at all, but likewise I didn't find anything hatable or slow about all this neither.

Yuri gives off Haruhi vibes all over, so I suppose I'll watch for the sake of watching.

RyougaZell
Sun, 04-04-2010, 02:11 AM
Uh... what did I just watch? I don't understand a thing... though I did like the music number. Hopefully it won't be the last one.

Alhuin
Sun, 04-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Yuri gives off Haruhi vibes all over, so I suppose I'll watch for the sake of watching.

There were actually quite a bit of topics about that on Sankaku Complex.
I think the general consensus was they did it on purpose.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-10-2010, 03:36 AM
Mazui - Episode 02 (http://mazuisubs.com/torrents/Mazui_Angel_Beats_-_02_B658E512.mkv.torrent)

Alhuin
Wed, 04-14-2010, 10:43 PM
The mini battle between Angel and Yuri was the highlight of this episode for me. It was a bit cliche and predictable that everyone but Yuuri and the main guy were going to "die" in those traps (as well as the predictable reaction of Yuri when telling the remaining members to climb up during the one trap). But, making the decision to abandon Guild was a pretty quick and effective decision leadership-wise. Never expected all the weapons to be made from dirt (as well as all the machinery), so I guess in a sense they can rebuild Guild as many times as they need to (which almost makes it seem pointless for Angel to even fight, considering they don't die and they can constantly create new weapons).

But I digress... Again, the highlight of this episode was the mini battle. Angel's Guard Skills are pretty nifty, and I can only imagine how many different skills she has. Seems to me though she should be pretty untouchable with just the three she has shown so far.

Lol at the craftsmen failing at creating a cannon.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 04-15-2010, 12:02 AM
Yeah, it never occured to me that getting caught didn't really matter.

Though perhaps it means that if the angel find out about how they're making weapons and the types they can make, it can form more effective countermeasures. After all, they mentioned the angel was heading down there, but didn't say that it knew what was down there.

Kraco
Thu, 04-15-2010, 12:48 AM
The human rope climbing scene was one of my favorites during this episode. I can't claim I'd have seen such scenes too many times, especially with such attention to details. But yes, Angel vs Yuri melee fight was also surprisingly entertaining. Yuri isn't the leader for nothing, for sure, based on this episode.

It's indeed a good question why they were so worried about Angel finding the guild. It doesn't seem like Anger can erase memories, which would be a huge worry, so it must be for the future like Bill suggested. If she found out what the guild is for, Angel might continuously search for the current guild location, forcing it to do nothing but relocate time after time, never having time for weapons manufacture.

Alhuin
Thu, 04-15-2010, 10:27 AM
I guess I didn't think of it like that. But did it specifically state Angel was searching for Guild? Or was she just following Yuri's group to do whatever is she does to them, and then happened to come across the Guild members when they were moving? I mean, either way, I'm sure if she found out what Guild did, the result would be what you mentioned earlier.

Alhuin
Fri, 04-16-2010, 09:26 PM
Double Post for episode 3

Mazui - episode 03 (http://mazuisubs.com/torrents/Mazui_Angel_Beats_-_03_DA85310F.mkv.torrent)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Pretty depressing episode, in my opinion. Not much action; we got backstory on Iwasawa. She had a sad life before her death, and she was really fucked over in the end (both the end of her real life, and the end of this episode). I hope she isn't gone for good because I enjoyed GirlsDeMo music, and the ballad at the end was really touching.

The main guy really annoyed me though when the team infiltrated Angel's rooms. You'd think that by now he would understand that appearances aren't always what they seem, yet he wants to jeopardize the entire mission. I was looking forward to the one guy slitting his throat like he said he would.

Oh, and this episode hit pure win when Angel talked. She's so cute... and deadly... I think that's a good combination... :p

David75
Sat, 04-17-2010, 01:32 AM
The outcome for Iwasawa was clear from the very start of the episode, somehow.

Regarding the rest of the ep, I now see the world they are in as some kind of purgatory, where they need to vent their frustration for what they endured in thei lives, and accept their fate so that they can move on to their next incarnation.

But I find this explanation way too simplistic for it to be the one.

But the way they dissapear when they psychologically surrender, the very fact that angel is like them, seem to give credit to the idea.

Now for our Otonashi, should we be wary of him, or is it only a scenario trick that he looks a bit suspicious?

MasterOfMoogles
Sat, 04-17-2010, 03:12 AM
My bet is on them being comas. Especially after this episode. Seems like Iwasawa found the will to live on in the end, so maybe she disappeared because she woke up.

Kraco
Sat, 04-17-2010, 04:00 AM
If Angel is just one of them, what's her story? Considering she seems to be the strongest entity there, it would be reasonable to assume she has also been there longer than anyone else and has thus had the most time to get to know and put to use the strange possibilities available. Based on her single line in this episode and her inaction during the concert I suppose she believes she's doing the right thing but considering she's not some godly entity, it's just her own opinion, not the order of that strange world (be it purgatory or a shared coma world or anything else).

The music was indeed very nice. Too bad Iwasawa is gone now and with her the music as well, I reckon.

Alhuin
Sat, 04-17-2010, 09:41 AM
From Wiki:

Three singles for Girls Dead Monster are planned for release. The first, "Crow Song", will be released on April 23, 2010; the second, "Thousand Enemies", will follow on May 12, 2010 and the third, "Little Braver", will be sold on June 9, 2010.

Looks like "Alchemy" won't be released? Strange, as it was the big song for this episode.

Anyways, I never thought about the possibilities behind their world. It definitely makes sense that it's more than just the afterlife (be it a purgatory, shared coma, or anything else as Kraco mentioned) so Iwasawa could very well have "accepted the will to live" and thus "disappeared", returning to reality and carrying on with her life.

As for Angel, since we learned that her abilities are manufactured much in the same way as Yuri's group, she is a mystery indeed. According to Yuri's group, if you accept yourself in the afterlife, and become a model "student", you disappear (which closely resembles accepting your fate and moving on), then how come Angel is still around. She is the "student council president", so she seems to be the epitome of a model "student". Could it be she just harbours resentment much like Yuri's group, but sees no benefit in "rebelling"? Maybe the reason she opposes Yuri's group so much is because she wants them to accept their fate, and not become like her? I don't know... just spouting off theories.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-17-2010, 10:24 AM
Hmm.. still making me watch more without impressing me to any great degree.

I laughed at the Laputa and Howl's Moving Castle references.

As for the theories, we don't know how Yuri died yet.. so I'm not sure about this being a coma world. However, the possibility does entertain me.

As for Isarawa, I'm fairly bought on the idea that she's performed her "song that could save a person", thinks she's accomplished what she wants to do in life, doesn't resent any unfairness anymore, and moves on.

The will to keep living theory is a bit shaky I think, since she's now mute, she wouldn't be able to live her life as she did anyway.

RyougaZell
Sat, 04-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Dang... I really enjoyed Iwasawa's songs and character... I'll miss her even if she barely appeared.

And I definitely need thos songs on my IPOD

ForteCross
Sat, 04-17-2010, 03:37 PM
Hmm.. still making me watch more without impressing me to any great degree.

I laughed at the Laputa and Howl's Moving Castle references.

As for the theories, we don't know how Yuri died yet.. so I'm not sure about this being a coma world. However, the possibility does entertain me.

As for Isarawa, I'm fairly bought on the idea that she's performed her "song that could save a person", thinks she's accomplished what she wants to do in life, doesn't resent any unfairness anymore, and moves on.

The will to keep living theory is a bit shaky I think, since she's now mute, she wouldn't be able to live her life as she did anyway.

she doesnt need to come back to her old self... if they are in a shared come then she will wake up, but if they actually died she could reincarnate into another being

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-17-2010, 09:19 PM
she doesnt need to come back to her old self... if they are in a shared come then she will wake up, but if they actually died she could reincarnate into another being

So are you suggesting that her memories are fake? Because if they're not, then it only makes sense that she's in a coma from her stroke, which left her mute.

MasterOfMoogles
Mon, 04-19-2010, 02:42 AM
I mean, you don't really know that she's mute. She said she couldn't talk anymore, but it looked like she couldn't really do anything, and just laid there in bed and "died".

Buffalobiian
Thu, 04-22-2010, 04:30 AM
[Nipponsei] Angel Beats! Insert Song SIngle - Crow Song [Girls Dead Monster].zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Angel%20Beats!%20Insert%20Song%2 0SIngle%20-%20Crow%20Song%20%5BGirls%20Dead%20Monster%5D.zip. torrent)

Alhuin
Thu, 04-22-2010, 10:47 AM
Aww, you had my hopes up. I was expecting someone else to share my affection for Angel!
Oh well, this is just as good. Some GirlsDeMo should be a nice addition to my anime music.

EDIT: Alchemy is apparently on this release, as well as the ballad she played before her disappearance.

Archangel
Fri, 04-23-2010, 10:29 AM
Angel Beats Quality from the Get-Go (http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/04/03/angel-beats-quality-from-the-get-go/)

I for one didn't notice any of this crap at all. Japanese otakus are just too high maintenance i guess?

Buffalobiian
Fri, 04-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Mazui - Episode 04 (http://mazuisubs.com/torrents/Mazui_Angel_Beats_-_04_104C26F1.mkv.torrent)

Kraco
Sat, 04-24-2010, 05:03 AM
This was quite a good episode. I feel like Otonashi has finally settled in and is showing quite Kyon like personality with his dry commenting. Yuri's laughter developing into a typical female villain laughter was a very funny scene - especially so because I totally predicted the outcome.

A real baseball team of idiots, in any case. Angel didn't really need to do much to get rid of it, although I have to say I still got a little excited towards the end of the game, despite the fact I knew it wouldn't end well due to their idiocy.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Angel looking serious in a baseball cap was rather cute. I liked this episode, since the humour mostly hit the right spots. I laughed pretty hard at the guy who just wants to duke it out with Otonashi.

Equally funny was the big guy catching everything with tumble rolls.

Alhuin
Sat, 04-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Even though the episode focused on Baseball, it was rather enjoyable to watch. As Bill mentioned, the interactions between Otonashi and the one guy with the huge axe were hilarious. For some reason, I was expecting him to use his axe as a bat; it seemed like something he would do. I didn't much appreciate the violent comedy between Yui and Hinata... It just got old after the first few times.

Angel looking serious in a baseball cap was, indeed, very cute. Just adds one more reason why I think Angel > Yuri... :p

The opening sequence for this episode was badass as well. I knew Yui was going to be a candidate to replace Iwasawa... but I didn't think they would give her so much trouble for it. I wonder if it really will be her, or if they will find someone else.

MasterOfMoogles
Sat, 04-24-2010, 02:15 PM
I just hope the ninja girl is still holding the broom next episode. I feel like this might have been a better gag than when that one guy got a table glued to his hand for half an episode in that idiots/tests/summoned monsters show.

Kraco
Sat, 04-24-2010, 03:19 PM
The opening sequence for this episode was badass as well. I knew Yui was going to be a candidate to replace Iwasawa... but I didn't think they would give her so much trouble for it. I wonder if it really will be her, or if they will find someone else.

I can't believe I forgot the "death metal?" scene where she hanged herself. That was such a splendid joke.

kashim
Tue, 04-27-2010, 04:17 AM
I had to do a double take when yui hung herself because it was that funny. after seeing the whole ep doesn't otonashi seem a bit too good for being just nomal? I mean the way he pitched is somewhat of a similar stance for some jap gyro pitchers, apparantly some weird way of throwing the ball, then again it prob doesn't mean much

the others have their memories and whatnot and they have been there for quite some time so their crazy abilities are ''normal'' but for him who is relativly new seems to be able to do things the others are not,like staying alive with the guild incident, could he be something of an ''angel'' himself?

Alhuin
Tue, 04-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Someone mentioned the idea that he was suspicious on the last page (too lazy to go back and find out). It wouldn't be a surprise if he was an Angel, or maybe even a program created by Angel (or if Angel is working under someone, then by them) to gather information on Yuri and her friends. We know of no one else that lost their memories so far, so he would be an anomaly. However, if he were the the only one to ever lose his memories, wouldn't Yuri and the team be more suspicious of him?

David75
Tue, 04-27-2010, 12:05 PM
Someone mentioned the idea that he was suspicious on the last page (too lazy to go back and find out). It wouldn't be a surprise if he was an Angel, or maybe even a program created by Angel (or if Angel is working under someone, then by them) to gather information on Yuri and her friends. We know of no one else that lost their memories so far, so he would be an anomaly. However, if he were the the only one to ever lose his memories, wouldn't Yuri and the team be more suspicious of him?

Now for our Otonashi, should we be wary of him, or is it only a scenario trick that he looks a bit suspicious?

I'm still thinking there's something wrong about him.
You would think he's related to the loss of Iwasawa, the same goes for this week's guy.
Even the broom girl has doubts.

Alhuin
Tue, 04-27-2010, 12:11 PM
That does remind me of his incessant struggling against searching Angel's room/computer. At first I just thought he was an idiot that still didn't comprehend the world he is living in, but with this theory that he is suspicious, it would make sense that he didn't want them to look around.

Kraco
Tue, 04-27-2010, 12:11 PM
A memory loss shouldn't be any surprising factor in any scenario (whether they are actually dead or in shared coma). If somebody suffers a massive head trauma and then dies never waking up, it's plausible all the memories will get removed prior to death and having never woken up, no new ones (of a hostipal ceiling) are acquired.

Though of course there's also the chance of being a massive wussy who wanted to forget a shitty life.

Alhuin
Fri, 04-30-2010, 10:32 PM
Mazui - Episode 05 (http://mazuisubs.com/torrents/Mazui_Angel_Beats_-_05_3667FE9A.mkv.torrent)

------------------------------------------------------

Wow, this episode was epic, emotional, and annoyingly stupid all at the same time.

Where do I begin?

The brigade members that took part in the test mission are morons, though Otonashi was at least the most helpful. It doesn't seem like a smart idea to be discussing your plans of sabotage (even screaming it at parts), especially when your victim is only a few feat away. I cannot believe they managed to accomplish that feat so many times, with even Angel none the wiser to what was going on. You'd think that, considering their history together, she would pay closer attention to their actions (can't believe I just commented negatively about Angel!). Otonashi on the other hand seemed pretty level-headed through the ordeal. He may not have spoken out against the plan as much as he truly disagreed with it, but despite his disagreement (and later, sympathy/regret) he maintained order by distracting Angel from investigating into the commotions. He was even able to extract her name (which apparently Yuri already knew, but just "forgot"). Tachibana Kanade... and according to Mazui, Kanade = "to play music"... Because of this, I am sensing an even greater music motif from this series.

As mentioned before, there is something definitely odd about both Angel and Otonashi, evidenced more by the fact that Otonashi seemed to have no trouble at all answering the questions on the exams, despite his lack of memories, as well as his sympathy for Angel (or rather, his humane reaction to the things that happened to her, unlike the other members). And of course, since Angel lost her position as Student Council President, she didn't oppose the Brigade during their Operation Tornado, which could mean (as one member actually pointed out) that all the times she opposed them before was because they were disrupting the school, and it was the President's job to maintain order. Her creation of Guard Skills was simply in response to the Brigade member's creation of weapons.

So with Angel effectively out of the picture now (at least by her "moral backup"), I'm wondering how the series will progress. Unless Otonashi decides to support her, or something unexpected happens, I don't really see her opposing the brigade any more right now. Actually, I kind of hope Otonashi drops the Brigade and decides to confe-... er, join Angel and find out the mystery behind their world.

And lastly... new GirlsDemo, amazing as always. Yui actually wasn't that bad while she was performing. She at least didn't seem that hyperactive or annoying. The last song Iwasawa wrote huh... I thought that was My Song?

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-01-2010, 01:59 AM
Interestingly, Kanade only acts when something disruptive happens, and if she misses the chance to act when the disruption is taking place, she doesn't chase the matter up afterwards.

The new President, however, let the thing go on, but came back to punish everybody who was involved, something that Kanade never did.

Add that to "it makes it look like I'm the bad guy" that she said before, it's almost like Kanade was actively keeping the President seat so she can keep order while "punishing" Yurippe's group as little as possible.

What on earth is she, besides cute?

(It was sad to see Kanade's ticket getting taken. By the end, I was actually expecting Otonashi to pick up his dish and take it to her. Mapo Tofu tastes great btw!)

Alhuin
Sat, 05-01-2010, 02:24 AM
Interestingly, Kanade only acts when something disruptive happens, and if she misses the chance to act when the disruption is taking place, she doesn't chase the matter up afterwards.

Hmm, I never realized that myself. Well, I realized it, but it never occurred to me as something intentional. This also reminds me of the times violence was involved in their situations. With the exception of her first appearance (although, I guess you could consider demanding proof to be provocation), her violent endeavors were provoked by one of the group members. It seems like most of her actions to quell the disruptions have been through civil, school-facilitated ways, thus leaning more heavily to your theory.

It was sad to see Kanade's ticket getting taken. By the end, I was actually expecting Otonashi to pick up his dish and take it to her.

Expecting and hoping.
Something good better happen to her at least. It's too sad right now :(

Kraco
Sat, 05-01-2010, 04:56 AM
I have to say I felt sorry for Angel for the whole duration of this episode. She really seemed alone. It actually looks like she was always alone, pitted against the rebels and maybe - it wouldn't surprise me - even against the other council members, because the new president looks more evil than anybody in the series so far. Although I don't really know how this new dude could fare any better against the rebels.

I was completely expecting Otonashi to take the curry to Angel. He's certainly different from the others in the rebels by showing concern for Angel and the whole situation in general. In short, he hasn't accepted Yurippe's world view despite belonging to the rebel group.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-01-2010, 06:18 AM
I was completely expecting Otonashi to take the curry to Angel. He's certainly different from the others in the rebels by showing concern for Angel and the whole situation in general. In short, he hasn't accepted Yurippe's world view despite belonging to the rebel group.

Having "lost" his memories does help, I have to say. Everybody else pretty much has a tooth to pick with God from their previous life, and decided to take it out on Angel.

Expecting and hoping.
Something good better happen to her at least. It's too sad right now

Yeah, I was hoping too, so I felt really disappointed when he didn't follow it up and simply went "I asked a stupid question".

I have no idea what it would be, but I'm expecting some deeper relationship between Otonashi and Angel, since , Otonashi (音無) means "no sound", while Kanade (奏) means "to make music". To throw an idea out, if music is metaphoric for "memories", then maybe Angel will help him recover it? Or if not, Angel's role is to fill in something that Otonashi is missing?

On the other hand (God forbid that) they may be polar opposites and arch-enemies of some sort. After all, it seems the battle against Angel herself has never been successful until now... until Otonashi joined.

Alhuin
Sat, 05-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Hmm... those are very interesting theories. I didn't realize that Otonashi meant "no music". I prefer the first one though, with Angel being the means of restoring his "music" (where music = memories), however the second one is entirely possible as well... with him stripping her of her "music" (where music = power).

@Kraco: I forgot to mention that part myself, about her seeming to always have been alone. If you think about it, even when she was the president, you never saw any students praising her, or being amazed by her... in fact, the one time you saw any reaction from the students to the her was when she was tearing down the GirlsDeMo posters, and they treated her "like the bad guy". I had assumed the rest of the student council would support her at least, but they, too, have never been seen supporting or cooperating with Angel.

Also @Kraco: Regarding your memory loss statement from above... I scanned through the first episode again looking for something, and as I came across the first meeting of Angel and Otonashi, she comments that "memory loss is common, especially in incidents where one hits their head before death". So you were right.

Dark Dragon
Sat, 05-01-2010, 12:53 PM
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/5701/tenshib.jpg (http://img7.imageshack.us/i/tenshib.jpg/)

Poor Tenshi/Kanade :(.

I think the next few episodes will be attempts to oust that new guy as the president and restore Kanade.

I'd imagine that she was just like them, but decided to make the best of the situation instead of rebelling.

Alhuin
Sat, 05-01-2010, 01:21 PM
OMFG I love you, and that picture.

I just want to hold her... and tell her everything will be alright...

David75
Sat, 05-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Mapo Tofu is great and as strong as they describe it.
Beware your stomach when eating some though.

And yes, the ep was pretty sad for Angel, being cast aside so much and even tormented by Yurippe's squad

Archangel
Sun, 05-02-2010, 06:34 PM
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/5701/tenshib.jpg (http://img7.imageshack.us/i/tenshib.jpg/)
+5 internets for you

Angel Beat Op on guitar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBzOLmEYLVc)

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Mazui - Episode 06 (http://mazuisubs.com/torrents/Mazui_Angel_Beats_-_06_C50E2DAD.mkv.torrent)

Archangel
Fri, 05-07-2010, 10:51 PM
That was plenty awesome with Tenshi scenes (including some flirting, go Otonashi go! ), battles to the death, yaoi hugs and then some more Tenshi scenes to balance those out

Still, it feels out of place, like too much happened all at once and they should have at least introduced the character of the acting president before forcing all these developments on us

The way they just sort of threw it in there makes me think they're trying to force the drama out of this show and i hate that, hopefully their pace will get back on track with next week's episode

PS: It might be sankaku's animation Nazism getting to me but i couldn't help but find a couple of animation glitches in this week's episode too

Alhuin
Sat, 05-08-2010, 12:09 AM
K-On!!, what?
This episode had more moe overload than K-On!! could pull off, in my opinion. Kanade's envious look when Otonashi started talking about the food dish... her quick change of mind when he mentioned treating her... her "forgetfulness" for eating during school breaks (because she wanted it that much) and subsequent quick devouring... the way she drifted off to sleep in seconds upon being imprisoned... need I go on?

I agree the episode itself felt rushed, considering what's-his-face just became known, and it seems like he is either going to disappear or take a back seat during the next episode. Which means there's still something bigger at work that they have to make time for.

H2O vibes all over when they showed what's-his-face's flashback.

And I totally called that Kanade's abilities were made for self defense (if it wasn't obvious already... >_>).

Other than that, not much to discuss about the episode, or change in theories. The "God is chosen" idea was nice though... I wonder if there was any truth to that statement.

Archangel
Sat, 05-08-2010, 12:16 AM
And I totally called that Kanade's abilities were made for self defense (if it wasn't obvious already... >_>).

... they're called guard skills, you can't claim credit for something that dammed obvious :mad:

That's like "calling" that the harem male lead will continuously attract more girls, that the shounen hero will defeat the bad guys after a sudden burst of energy or that the dude with the cat allergy will undoubtedly attract more and more cats

Other than that, not much to discuss about the episode, or change in theories. The "God is chosen" idea was nice though... I wonder if there was any truth to that statement.

I don't know about it being true or not but i will say that it would be pretty interesting if any of the fallen members had happened to hear this theory and chose to act on it themselves

Alhuin
Sat, 05-08-2010, 12:22 AM
Hence why I mentioned it was obvious.
Besides, it was more like... I was talking out loud to myself... except posting out loud to myself... >_>

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-08-2010, 01:43 AM
Oh, good call Al. I was thinking to myself about where I've seen the twin-death-> replacement thing before, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

It feels like we're back to square one with the story in that we're trying to figure out what the heck's going on. Angel's not really an angel, and now we're left without an antagonist to drive things forward with.

I guess the weirdest thing that requires immediate addressing is how Kanade's staying in this word without rebelling.

Kanade's cute, but that doesn't stop the scene with a soaked Yuri being restrained being niiiice.

Kraco
Sat, 05-08-2010, 03:25 AM
Angel's not really an angel...

Angel will always be Angel for me. I was a little disappointed she wasn't crying when eating her mapo tofu like she's in most of the fan art. But she's plenty cute nonetheless.

In any case none of these arcs so far have gotten us anywhere in terms of finding out the truth behind that world (although they were of course meaningful by showing us some practical aspects and limits of it). In that sense this arc wasn't really significant other than to bring down the old Yuri built walls between the various student groups. Yuri was quite solidly stuck on uselessly fighting against Angel, which in the end was nothing but maintaining a status quo. She wasn't really achieving anything at all, least of all figuring out the world (which would translate to fighting against God).

Alhuin
Sat, 05-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Naoi mentioned that Iwasawa disappeared, not because she was a "model student", but because she accepted her death, completed her dream, and moved on. If you look it at from that perspective... and take into account what Yuri said about why Naoi didn't disappear (beating "normal" students in the shadows), I think it it's safe to say that Kanade could be harboring some resentment for her death, or has not yet had her dream fulfilled (which I totally place my bet on being loved/having a friend, which Otonashi is steadily moving towards), so that's why she hasn't disappeared yet.

I never expected her to cry while eating the Tofu, Kraco. That should show an emotion. It was completely surprising in itself that she showed envy when Otonashi mentioned himself eating it, and then anxious when he mentioned he would treat her. Surprising, but just enough for it to be believable. If she had teared up, her character personality would have changed dramatically, too quickly. I expect tears at some point in the series, but it will be for something bigger than the Tofu.

Also, I believe most everything up until now has done plenty in terms of discovering the truth of the world. The practical aspects and limitations, as you mentioned, are basic steps in figuring out how it all works. In the beginning, we were told whatever Yuri told us, but slowly and surely, we are learning that everything she said was either wrong, or misguided. We are back at square one (as Bill put it) in discovering the meaning, but the truth is steadily being revealed.

Wet and restrained Yuri did provide some enjoyment, on her part. Though her clothing should have been shredded just a bit more... =P

Archangel
Sat, 05-08-2010, 11:42 AM
It feels like we're back to square one with the story in that we're trying to figure out what the heck's going on. Angel's not really an angel, and now we're left without an antagonist to drive things forward with.
That reminds me, didn't anyone else find it strange how the vice-president also referred to Kanade as Tenshi?

Wet and restrained Yuri did provide some enjoyment, on her part. Though her clothing should have been shredded just a bit more... =P
Wait for the BDs :)

Kraco
Sat, 05-08-2010, 04:50 PM
I never expected her to cry while eating the Tofu, Kraco. That should show an emotion.

I'm not sure if it's really an emotion you get when you eat blisteringly hot food.

She certainly shouldn't be crying from happiness due to finally getting her tofu but because it's so strong food. Even Otonashi had troubles eating it and he doesn't look like an angel.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Naoi mentioned that Iwasawa disappeared, not because she was a "model student", but because she accepted her death, completed her dream, and moved on. If you look it at from that perspective... and take into account what Yuri said about why Naoi didn't disappear (beating "normal" students in the shadows), I think it it's safe to say that Kanade could be harboring some resentment for her death, or has not yet had her dream fulfilled (which I totally place my bet on being loved/having a friend, which Otonashi is steadily moving towards), so that's why she hasn't disappeared yet.

The dream thing would be a good bet too, since it's basically at the core of everybody's problems. The reason why "becoming a model student" made people disappear, the way I saw it, was that they become accustomed to and content with their current lives.

It'd then make sense that by being a model student, realising Kanade's dream became more difficult, adding weight to your argument.

That reminds me, didn't anyone else find it strange how the vice-president also referred to Kanade as Tenshi?

I gathered that this guy's been doing a lot of information gathering. He more or less adopted that term from Yuri's group perhaps. He doesn't necessarily knows any more about Kanade than Yuri or Otonashi.

Alhuin
Sat, 05-08-2010, 11:07 PM
@Kraco: Can't believe I didn't realize this until you quoted me, but I meant to type "would show an emotion" instead of "should show an emotion". I meant it as, if she had blatantly cried, whether it was from excitement or the strong food, she would no longer be emotionless.

The idea of one individual being able to handle any type of strong food with no emotional reaction isn't that far-fetched.

I don't know if this changes your response though.

Kraco
Sun, 05-09-2010, 02:48 AM
Not really, but it's not like I wouldn't know what you are going after. From an outside observer's point of view it certainly makes no difference if she's crying because of an emotion or as a simple physical response to all the chili.

However, I never really wanted her to belong to the emotionally impaired class of characters, so from my pov her showing an emotional response to something so early on wouldn't have been a wasted opportunity to break her ice in a more dramatic and meaningful manner.

I considered her a really sad and lonely character with walls around her, not one without emotions.

Dark Dragon
Sun, 05-09-2010, 04:38 AM
Excellent episode.

I like the fact that Kanade's "cuteness" is very natural. It's just her bring herself and it naturally come out.

Anime like K-ON tries to milk this "cuteness" element to the extreme and feel really forced a lot of times. It's like you can't have one scene without someone trying to do something "moe".

At first i thought we would have someone disappear every few episodes, but it's looks like they are gaining more members to the group. I'm beginning to question the whole "NPC" student concept since Kanade and Naoi seems to be normal people just like them. It's very possible that this place is limbo where people go to accept their fate. NPC students just happen the be people who can't remember their past and decided to try and have a normal life.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-09-2010, 07:57 AM
Yuri mentioned that NPC were either predictable or programmed in their actions and responses or something at the very beginning, so the concept of NPC people running around seems real enough for now.

As for Kanade, I'd like the more gradual melting rather than a shattering of her ice.

Alhuin
Tue, 05-11-2010, 05:47 PM
[Nipponsei] GirlsDeMo - Thousand Enemies (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Angel%20Beats!%20Insert%20Song%2 0Single%20-%20Thousand%20Enimies%20%5BGirls%20Dead%20Monster% 5D.zip.torrent)

Archangel
Tue, 05-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Lol, when it comes to Angel Beats not even Marik can win one over Al

Dark Dragon
Wed, 05-12-2010, 04:59 AM
Lol, when it comes to Angel Beats not even Marik can win one over Al

That sound suspiciously like a challenge.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 05-12-2010, 05:13 AM
That sound suspiciously like a challenge.

No, just a fact. :p

Alhuin
Fri, 05-14-2010, 08:13 PM
Mazui - Episode 07 (http://mazuisubs.com/torrents/Mazui_Angel_Beats_-_07_A3DD1EB5.mkv.torrent)

RyougaZell
Fri, 05-14-2010, 10:02 PM
say.... what?

(awesome)

Alhuin
Fri, 05-14-2010, 11:20 PM
First half of the episode was boring. Sure, Otonashi got his memories back, but they ended up being irrelevant to the story (so it seems for now) and I definitely thought the way it happened was too rushed. I'm also confused... because didn't Yuri give him the name "Otonashi" since he couldn't remember anything? Yet when he was on the train, Mazui had his ticket translated to "Otonashi Yuzuru". So either, they made a mistake, or I'm making a mistake... or there is something else going on. Either way though, I was definitely expecting a more dramatic way for him to recover his memories.

As far as what he recalled goes, seems like he had a life of nothingness, just living for his sister... then when she left him, he became motivated to turn his life around. A sad and lonely life, but nowhere near as dark and depressing as Yuri's and Iwasawa's. Here's to hoping it was all fabricated, or there is a bigger picture.

Second half of the episode, however, was pure win. Kanade in that hat... so adorable. I honestly made an "aww, she lost her hat" comment when she... lost her hat. The "fishing" mission wasn't all that interesting, neither was the plan to feed the school, but the scenes with Otonashi and Kanade were heartwarming. "I've got to save them". And now they are on a first name basis.

Yuri definitely seemed annoyed during that mission, while everyone else seemed to accept Kanade as part of the group, once they started fishing.

As for the ending... all I can say is... what?
Need episode 08 now.

fireheart
Sat, 05-15-2010, 07:02 AM
FI'm also confused... because didn't Yuri give him the name "Otonashi" since he couldn't remember anything? Yet when he was on the train, Mazui had his ticket translated to "Otonashi Yuzuru".

He didn't get the name from Yuri he remembered it and gave it himself when she asked for his name though he couldn't remember his given name.

Kraco
Sat, 05-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Looks like Angel had a sister.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-15-2010, 08:25 AM
It seems like I misunderstood something when I watched this episode. I originally thought Hatsune died during their Christmas outing since there was such an ominous feel to it with her weak voice and all. I was also expecting this to come up just as it did with a previous series.

So after that, I thought Otonashi left to pursue a career to heal other girls who were bedridden, rather than his own sister (and I took "losing" as her having died, not living away from him). In that sense, Otonashi's story would have probably felt more emotionally powerful to me than to others who interpreted this correctly, as he didn't just realise, but had to pay a dear price to do so.

Kanade moments were awesome. I need not say more.

The red-eyed Angel was actually the one who did the flying swallow attack on the fish (there were 2 Angels after the split), and she also kept her eyes closed after the attack. Why no one (from the SSS) picked this up, I don't know. Maybe Yuri did (since she wasn't worried about being eaten) and went to pursue it, resulting in her injuries.

When that first came up, I thought it was one of those jealous, cheap tricks where you hurt yourself and say someone else did it, but that seemed not to be the case.

Shiina's decapitating move proving to be an extremely effective assassination move, but an utterly pointless fishing one got a laugh out of me, especially since it was accompanied with the "Idiot" commentary.

RyougaZell
Sat, 05-15-2010, 09:29 AM
The red-eyed Angel was actually the one who did the flying swallow attack on the fish (there were 2 Angels after the split), and she also kept her eyes closed after the attack. Why no one (from the SSS) picked this up, I don't know. Maybe Yuri did (since she wasn't worried about being eaten) and went to pursue it, resulting in her injuries.

Good catch. I hadn't noticed the two Kanade in that scene. I thought it was just an after shadow.

David75
Sat, 05-15-2010, 09:56 AM
First time in a while I've been able to recognize a voice:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=438
Nagisa was there...
Yes I know, the probability was high considering the teams behind both works.
Regarding the ep, well, in the same train of thoughts as previous what I just wrote, it was very "Clannad-ish" for the part when Otonashi gets his memories back.
The guy had to be extremely unlucky to live such a life and die in a train wreck -which is a very rare occurence in a wealthy and developped country-.

Already waiting for next week's episode.

Edit: Body double picture. She's in fact invoked by Angel herself when you watch the sequence frame by frame.

Alhuin
Sat, 05-15-2010, 10:07 AM

That interested me, so I went back to check. Sure enough, when she does her "split", the Kanade that propels towards the fish had red eyes. Though, I never realized that they actually split during that time, I figured it was her "Delay" Guard Skill; the one she used when fighting Yuri in episode 2.

But if she did split, she did it after she said "Must save them"; meaning her intentions were to save her new "friends". I definitely think it was Yuri that provoked split-Kanade to rape her.

Archangel
Sat, 05-15-2010, 10:32 AM
I found the first part unintentionally hilarious, as the speech and his general attitude as of late wasn't enough to show it they even gave him a fitting haircut to go along with it so us fans had a chance to yell EMO to the screen every five minutes

Also, Otanoshi's harem seems to be expanding in the wrong direction... i thought Hinata was enough but apparently not

He seems to be trying hard though, even if Kanade's wall of Ice seems to be thicker than any of us thought

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-15-2010, 11:34 AM
But if she did split, she did it after she said "Must save them"; meaning her intentions were to save her new "friends". I definitely think it was Yuri that provoked split-Kanade to rape her.

@doujin artists: MUST READ ^

Archangel
Sat, 05-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Excuse the page stretcher, but is this awesome or what?

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/2491/13365006.jpg

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 05-16-2010, 04:10 AM
Nice pic...I actually have the same one but with the cast of Shin Megami Tensei.

Anyway maybe Kanade might be a drone or something. And the fact that she "saved" rebels could mean that she couldn't do her job as a "Angel" and they send a more aggressive one to take care of the rebels.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-16-2010, 04:17 AM
Nice pic...I actually have the same one but with the cast of Shin Megami Tensei.

Anyway maybe Kanade might be a drone or something. And the fact that she "saved" rebels could mean that she couldn't do her job as a "Angel" and they send a more aggressive one to take care of the rebels.

Interesting idea, though it seems that her attack was activated by Kanade herself.

David75
Sun, 05-16-2010, 04:29 AM
Interesting idea, though it seems that her attack was activated by Kanade herself.

Exactly!
You just have to go frame by frame and you'll see that RedKanade is summoned by Kanade the same way she does with her handsonic.

While jailed, Kanade explained Yuzuru that Handsonic was a defensive weapon.

I guess that RedKanade is the offensive Kanade.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-16-2010, 04:37 AM
Exactly!
You just have to go frame by frame and you'll see that RedKanade is summoned by Kanade the same way she does with her handsonic.

While jailed, Kanade explained Yuzuru that Handsonic was a defensive weapon.

I guess that RedKanade is the offensive Kanade.

Offensive Kanade....

Bringing that back, remember how she recently didn't have any offensive moves, and all her self-defense ones were developed on a PC?

She mentioned "I want to save them" right before the attack, suggesting that

a) It wasn't a self defence move (as David said, so this is more a confirmation than a suggestion)

b) That the move was developed on the fly, and wasn't designed like the others were. Malfunctioning Bunshin (clone)?

David75
Sun, 05-16-2010, 05:34 AM
Nope, I think RedKanade is her Offensive mode, she does not want to do harm herself, so she had to create an offensive version of herself.
Going back to previous eps, I'm almost certain the one giving fatal blows (or most of them) was RK. Might need some time to check on that.

Archangel
Sun, 05-16-2010, 05:44 AM
The one attacking Yuri in episode 2 had yellow eyes

David75
Sun, 05-16-2010, 08:36 AM
The one attacking Yuri in episode 2 had yellow eyes

The only fatal blow she gives is in Ep 1 to demonstrate Otonashi the rules of that world.
For that action, eyes aren't shown...

attached, slow motion RK summon and Otonashi stabbed in Ep1

http://david.deals.free.fr/Summon.gif

Archangel
Sun, 05-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Yes, but in episode 2 she WOULD have stabbed Yuri if Otanoshi hadn't rammed her and as she went for the kill her eyes were shown to be yellow

David75
Sun, 05-16-2010, 12:47 PM
Yes, but in episode 2 she WOULD have stabbed Yuri if Otanoshi hadn't rammed her and as she went for the kill her eyes were shown to be yellow

Yes that's true.

I guess we now just have to wait for an explanation.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 05-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Yeah but she was still defending herself. All she did before that was just trying to discover the Vault or w/e it was called. They attacked so she defended. That was all there was to it. She was just protecting herself.

David75
Sun, 05-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Yeah but she was still defending herself. All she did before that was just trying to discover the Vault or w/e it was called. They attacked so she defended. That was all there was to it. She was just protecting herself.

In the split second when she's attacking defenseless Yurripe and about to stab her -although still about 50cms away from hitting her-, her eyes are yellow and no Red Kanade is there yet.

Alhuin
Sun, 05-16-2010, 10:46 PM
A little late to the party, but I really enjoyed that pic Arch! *thumbs up*

Alhuin
Fri, 05-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Double post for episode 8.

Mazui - Episode 08 (http://mazuisubs.com/torrents/Mazui_Angel_Beats_-_08_7788F256.mkv.torrent)

---------------

Not enough cute Kanade, and yet, not enough badass Kanade either, this episode. It was surprising that the team was able to deduce her "skill" (and even thought back to the fish incident where we all noticed her eye colour change). I can't believe I didn't think back to the time they "infiltrated" her room and found that "new" skill where the model splits in two. As soon as they started talking about it, I remembered it, and /facepalmed. So we (should have) knew all along that it was a skill she created for intent to use. But, as Yuri found out, there was an error in the program that prevented it from activating the "Absorb" command. It makes so much sense now, after this episode.

I didn't like how Yuri tried to alter the program/create a new command... I just knew something bad was going to happen. At first, I thought it was the mass production of the clones... and I was like "Good fucking job"... but turns out that wasn't the case (Clones making clones, huh). In the end though, I would have preferred that over the whole "multiple clone personalities combining into one, fragile body and wrecking mental havoc" situation she put Kanade in. Too cruel...

The events leading up to the end of the episode were boring and predictable... but at least they realized it was rehashed, so they moved past it quickly. I didn't expect Yuri to be able to overpower an Angel clone, especially with "Distortion" active... but I guess she can't hold that while executing "Howling". Should have seen the earplugs coming though.

Yui's death was hilarious for some reason. I LOLed in real life.
Was totally expecting Otonashi to hug Kanade BEFORE he asked her to activate "Harmonics", but it was just as touching when he held her close as she was convulsing from all the clone personalities entering her mind.
Can't wait for the next episode... I'm hoping my Kanade isn't broken...

EDIT 2: Just saw this image (http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/675027/angel_beats-tagme). I LOLed again.

Archangel
Sat, 05-22-2010, 03:24 AM
I didn't like it how the clone's personalities took such a quick turn to the sadistic without a proper explanation as to why that would happen. I mean i could come up with some myself but the fact that they didn't address it made it look like a lazy thought out plot device

Being immortal sure makes for great comedy, every time one of the them got stabbed in increasingly hilarious ways i couldn't help but laugh and Yui's was the cherry on the top

Yuri got some major points on this episode, unlike a certain other megalomaniac character she can actually back her shit up with quick wits, careful planning and intelligence, no shitty omni magiks and "owns at everything because she has to"

Those fucking clones better now make any permanent damages to MY Kanade, i want her to get though her problems on her own not with some clone induced acid trip

animus
Sat, 05-22-2010, 08:21 AM
I have to admit, I laughed pretty hard IRL at the latter-half of the sacrifice suicides.

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 05-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Using the hypnotism to get him to sacrifice himself made me laugh so hard.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-22-2010, 08:39 PM
Using the hypnotism to get him to sacrifice himself made me laugh so hard.

When I first heard him talking, I was thinking God was trying to hypnotise Angel or something, but then seeing the other fellow run off was just great.

Yui... doesn't even take down anybody. XD

Original Kanade being screwed up when all the clones came together was pretty foreseeable, but I have to say that it felt "strongest" when Yuri was playing with the program, and I gradually forgot it as all the hilarious sacrifices took place. I was expecting something like Kanade having to fight over all her other consciousnesses for control or similar.

@Al: On the other hand, I didn't expect Otonashi to hug Kanade until after the 10 second timeout, be he was still 2 seconds late (according to me), which lead to my mentally screaming HUG HER GODDAMMIT!!

Besides his ability to get along with Kanade, Otonashi is pretty much useless. I don't dislike him for it, but it's even more obvious when everybody's sacrificing themselves (again) to get him down there.

Marik
Sun, 05-23-2010, 01:54 PM
[Nipponsei] Angel Beats! OP ED Single - My Soul, Your Beats! [Lia & Tada Aoi].zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Angel%20Beats%21%20OP%20ED%20Sin gle%20-%20My%20Soul%2C%20Your%20Beats%21%20%5BLia%20%26%2 0Tada%20Aoi%5D.zip.torrent)

Kraco
Sun, 05-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Angel had some personality problems to begin with so this might even end up being good for her. Maybe it will crack her ice and with Otonashi taking care of her, she will become more wholesome.

Alhuin
Fri, 05-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Mazui - Episode 09 (http://mazuisubs.com/torrents/Mazui_Angel_Beats_-_09_78AE467F.mkv.torrent)

animus
Fri, 05-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Hate to be a downer, but that is pretty unrealistic atleast to me. A major cave-in in a subway tunnel and it takes 7 days? I don't know how elaborate or how often the subways run where Otonashi lives but if something like that happened in NYC, that would've been cleared in a day or two max. They would work throughout the night. Could be an unfair comparison on my part since the subways are such an integral part of NYC transportation. It just seems unlikely it would take a whole week.

My minor grievance aside I really enjoyed that episode. Seeing all of those survivors sign up to be a donor tugged at my heart strings.

Alhuin
Fri, 05-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Yeah, the seven days thing seemed to push it... especially considering the human body isn't supposed to be able to survive longer than three without some type of nourishment (if I recall my 7th grade Health class information correctly). The cave in idea itself though was confusing, because I could have sworn in the last episode it showed Otonashi's memories, he was on the train and it was outside (as in, light shining in, nature in the background) when it derailed. Doesn't make sense it would make it all the way into a tunnel, and then have both ends collapse. I would have to redownload that episode though to confirm.

Thank god it was the "normal" Kanade that woke up, even if you knew it was going to happen. I was afraid they might make the "internal mind" battle take place after she had woken up, and the next few episodes would have focused on that. But seems they decided not to show us her struggle, and just have her wake up and say it was a miracle she won. It was touching to see her first pat Otonashi on the head, then put her hand to the side of his cheek. Even though she doesn't show emotion, you could tell she was happy he was there with her.

So called that Kanade was trying to make them accept their fate (kind of). We still don't know if she has any regrets, but at least we know we were right in theorizing her role. Can't believe it wasn't obvious that this was a place "young souls" went to that hadn't experienced a "happy childhood". /facepalm

All in all, good episode, though I dislike how Kanade had to return to her ways before Otonashi befriended her in order for him to help her.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 05-28-2010, 11:23 PM
@animus - the cave in might not be isolated. If it happened in several areas or in a larger area than what we could see, it makes sense that it might take a week before they are found. They might have just been really unlucky.

@Alhuin - People have been known to survive worse for longer. As for it suddenly going dark, if you recheck the episode, the lights just went off outside the train when the trained started shaking, which obviously means they are artificial. That means they are underground at that point and the lights were the tunnel's illumination that got cut due to the incident.

animus
Sat, 05-29-2010, 12:11 AM
It looks isolated, considering at around the 16:10 mark they drilled from the surface down where the sun shone through. If there were other areas caved in they would've dug through the tunnel level in succession to clear to there, that is if that was why it actually took that long. If there were other areas it wouldn't make sense to make a ton of surface holes for every cave in.

Anyways they're lucky that tunnel had some decent lighting. Some of the subway tunnels in NYC are close to pitch black.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 05-29-2010, 12:36 AM
There are numerous possible reasons for drilling surface down. An example would be if the cave in rubble at both ends are much thicker and harder to dig through than the subway roof part. The point is, the scenario is not unbelievable at all.

animus
Sat, 05-29-2010, 12:38 AM
Clearly there are reasons for drilling down, but it doesn't make sense to continuously drill down in multiple spots of the same subway line. Considering it took 7 days, that would be a lot of holes and a lot of unusable roads, etc.

Kraco
Sat, 05-29-2010, 05:01 AM
They were basically four days without water, Otonashi and his lieutenant perhaps four and a half, which isn't impossible for a healthy person. Not eating for that long is certainly no problem for a sound human as long as energy is conserved.

Seven days is a bit strange for sure unless it was some major earthquake with lots of rubble and victims everywhere or somebody made a really big mistake.

Too bad Angel needed to be isolated for the plan. I hope Otonashi will steal some moments with her when nobody's watching. He should be considering her one of the people that needs saving, after all, and obviously playing the role of a lonely villain isn't going to do that.

ForteCross
Sat, 05-29-2010, 09:27 AM
and you have to remember that otonashi had a major inside bleeding...

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Man I hate the "who made YOU in charge" dudes. At least someone took charge. It's not like it's fun you know.

Kanade in PJs was the most huggable thing ever. I'm honestly surprised Otonashi still hasn't asked Kanade about why she's here. She never calls herself "Angel", and since everything he thought was true about this world's been revoked, you'd think he'd go right back to basics and get things straight from there.

Maybe he's just too glad Kanade's back to work with him again. I know I would be.

David75
Sat, 05-29-2010, 03:39 PM
What a way to die for Otonashi, right before help comes and after helping everyone else.

I remember I did not like Otonashi's behavior in this after world, because he was near people disappearing. Well now he wants to be active in that, even if you could find his reasons as good as Yurippe's ones, he still is betraying her and his new friends for that change of mood...
He does not even try to argue or think a little more. He doesn't know that much about that place and what comes after. In a way, that would be like preferring to die rather than continue living. I really do not like the idea.

Kraco
Sat, 05-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Nah, they all know they died already, and with regrets. This world in-between they now inhabit seems pretty static, though filled with possibilties - a perfect place to try time after time to come to terms with those regrets and move on. Yet nobody could say it's a second chance and trying to disappear would be choosing death over life.

Although it's perfectly possible somebody might immensely like that world and desires to remain there for a long time. Although that makes me wonder if such a person couldn't accidentally find happiness in that - and disappear. Otherwise it would be just carrying regrets and possibly anger from one day to the next.

Archangel
Sat, 05-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Am i the only one concerned with how they seem to be spreading themselves a bit too thin? How are they gonna resolve the inner conflicts of 10+ characters in under 4 episodes?

shinta|hikari
Sun, 05-30-2010, 12:27 AM
I was wondering that as well. Maybe his plan won't really continue on and some intervening factor will change the story again.

A second season would be awesome though.

Alhuin
Fri, 06-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Wow, I work late and I'm still the one to link the episode?

Mazui - Episode 10 (http://mazuisubs.com/torrents/Mazui_Angel_Beats_-_10_8620A891.mkv.torrent)

Oh, and to whomever: Yes, I delete Mazui's episode after watching it so I can save room for the BD releases. I thought that was common knowledge.

RyougaZell
Fri, 06-04-2010, 11:33 PM
YUI T____T

Alhuin
Sat, 06-05-2010, 12:19 AM
I don't remember if I mentioned this before, but Yui was definitely my second favourite character of this show, so this episode was pretty win, until the end. I think I actually developed a tear.

Three(?) episodes left and they just introduced a new "entity"? I'm with Archie on this one... Wrapping this up might get messy.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 06-05-2010, 12:22 AM
Pretty powerful ending. Just when I thought it'd sound so half-assed with Otonashi saying "umm... sure", Hinata busts out a full blown proposal.

I thought they were being (intentionally) misleading in Yui's flashback making her look like a quadriplegic, whereas she was actually a paraplegic. It had the effect of making the beginning sad, and the ending light though, so I didn't see it as a cheating technique.

I actually thought the introduction of a new entity would provide a way to end this properly. Whether or not they decide to finish it in one season's another question, but now they've escaped the scenario of Kanade & co taking out the members one at a time.

Archangel
Sat, 06-05-2010, 06:10 AM
See this is what i was talking about, Hinata and Yui had slowly but surely developed their relationship ever since they met but to just jump to a full blown love confession felt rushed. I wish they had had more time to properly insert a couple of blushes and awkward moments here and there so this didn't feel so out of the blue.

As for the introduction of this new entity... i have no idea, i think I'd feel cheated if they suddenly came up with a way to fulfill everyone's dreams at once or if they let go of that concept entirely but maybe they have something else up their sleeves with this, i'll just have to wait and see

Though i will say this, a second season is looking less and less attractive every time a character moves on so part of me wishes they manage to successfully wrap this up with whatever time they have left

Kraco
Sat, 06-05-2010, 06:55 AM
It didn't feel rushed or jumped at all in my opinion. Hinata watched the baseball practice for a day and it's more than likely he at that point realised what Otonashi is trying to achieve. So, he had an evening, a night and a day to come up with his decision to intervene, should an opportunity provide itself - like it did. And it's not like he wouldn't have already felt that way earlier. This moment simply was the best possible time to do it and he's surely the kind of guy who would cease such a moment. Tactical decisions and timing are important in baseball, after all, har har.

I can't really foresee at all how this is going to end with the new entity and everything. I can only hope Otonashi and Angel will get a good resolution.

Archangel
Sat, 06-05-2010, 07:13 AM
It didn't feel rushed or jumped at all in my opinion. Hinata watched the baseball practice for a day and it's more than likely he at that point realised what Otonashi is trying to achieve. So, he had an evening, a night and a day to come up with his decision to intervene, should an opportunity provide itself - like it did. And it's not like he wouldn't have already felt that way earlier. This moment simply was the best possible time to do it and he's surely the kind of guy who would cease such a moment. Tactical decisions and timing are important in baseball, after all, har har.

I can't really foresee at all how this is going to end with the new entity and everything. I can only hope Otonashi and Angel will get a good resolution.
Well i hate it when shows do that ( yeah i'm looking at you Lost ), character development shouldn't be happening behind our backs it should be on plain sight

I don't know how it's going to end either but i do know that Angel is going to show off some white wings on the final episode, probably saving Otanoshi from something

Buffalobiian
Sat, 06-05-2010, 07:42 AM
Well i hate it when shows do that ( yeah i'm looking at you Lost ), character development shouldn't be happening behind our backs it should be on plain sight

It was sudden, but I didn't think it was rushed. Hinata must have rushed to say it, since Otonashi's hesitation would only cause Yui more damage the longer he waited, but everything he meant everything he said, so I don't see the problem with that.

They weren't the type to openly admit anything anyway unless something drastic happened. As you said, they already shared a love-hat relationship (best proven by Yui's "I'll come meet you soon" or something similar when he died in the trap system [again]).

The drastic "push" for Hinata was seeing the baseball game and coming to terms with how he felt, realising he really did like Yui.

Yui's own push was Hinata's proposal. she wouldn't have disappeared if Otonashi answered "yes", since that's not the person she would want to marry anyway.

RyougaZell
Sat, 06-05-2010, 11:17 AM
What I want to know is how Hinata figured out what Otonashi was really doing in order to want to help him.

And I wonder what caused Yui's death to being with... she was paralyzed, not on a death bed...

animus
Sat, 06-05-2010, 04:14 PM
I felt it was obvious how he figured out. No one really gave Yui the time of day or cared much about her. Then here comes Otonashi and Hinata saw probably at least two full days of batting practice. He was probably eavesdropping when Otonashi asked the "What else do you want to do" question. That probably gave it away.

Marik
Sat, 06-05-2010, 07:36 PM
[Nipponsei] Angel Beats! Insert Song Single - Little Braver [Girls Dead Monster].zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Angel%20Beats%21%20Insert%20Song %20Single%20-%20Little%20Braver%20%5BGirls%20Dead%20Monster%5D. zip.torrent)

Contains "Shine Days" from Ep 10.

kashim
Sat, 06-05-2010, 10:25 PM
I've been thinking about the end of this ep. what are the chances that this entity is the reason for there being an angel in the first place? like angel's goal is to help these souls move on and such and the entity is a form of equalizer where it would try to get those that refuse to go or something along those lines. I mean angel has defensive capabilities so in a sense she has what it takes to potect them and if you look at her personality she is uptight with rules and whatnot so its probably not farfetched to say that she is the student council president for a reason? from what I can understand she was like everyone else yet she was the only one to gain her abilities one way or another. the entity could also be some sort of reset button for this world (i don't think we've been given a time frame yet ) but it seems like the school year is coming to an end and it doesn't sound like these guys have anything to do after the school ends...

Alhuin
Sun, 06-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Link

Contains "Shine Days" from Ep 10.

Well, that marks that last GirlsDeMo single. It was as good as the rest, though the last song wasn't as mellow as the previous two versions. I'm not sure which of the six songs I enjoy the most..

Also, while browsing through Wiki again (actually looking for the release date a few weeks ago of the last album, since I thought it was June 2nd instead of June 9th), I found this:

A Girls Dead Monster album titled Keep The Beats! will be sold on June 30, 2010.

I wonder if it will just be a compilation of all three singles, or if it will be new material.

Alhuin
Fri, 06-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Double post for new episode.
Completely forgot it was Friday for some reason.

Mazui - Episode 11 (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=136746)

Buffalobiian
Sat, 06-12-2010, 09:00 AM
Naoi's attempts to persuade were hilarious, especially now that Yuri seems to have known all along. I'm a bit surprised that his gags don't seem to get old - I still enjoy watching him switch tones completely when talking to anybody who isn't Otonashi.

I think this was the first time TK spoke Japanese. I also didn't catch the big 5th Dan Judo guy this episode, so I wonder where he went.

Kraco
Sat, 06-12-2010, 09:44 AM
I wonder what's behind this shadow incident. That's the big question, especially if it's the Guild that has been stealing the computers. Though naturally it could be a lone member within the Guild, the rest knowing nothing of it. But it could also be an experiment gone awry. For all we know, the whole Guild could now be nothing but NPCs if it was a plan that turned sour in the grandest manner possible.

David75
Sat, 06-12-2010, 10:21 AM
I counted about 65 people for Yurripe's reunion, Angel not in the image.
I guess not everyone was there.

The 5th dan guy could have been at the back, center of the group in that image.

Decorative wings, quite useful if you ask me, at least for a nice show :o

Buffalobiian
Sat, 06-12-2010, 10:33 AM
I counted about 65 people for Yurripe's reunion, Angel not in the image.
I guess not everyone was there.

The 5th dan guy could have been at the back, center of the group in that image.

Decorative wings, quite useful if you ask me, at least for a nice show :o

Despite that, Yuri's professional roll-landing was just as impressive. I consider myself a Kanade fan more than a Yuri one (I think.. line's thin anyway), but I'm glad they're still catering for fans of each heroine.

Alhuin
Mon, 06-14-2010, 11:10 PM
Kanade with wings was pure win. And her "battle" was comedic enough (especially with Hinata's "I wouldn't want to be on the other end of that"). Took them long enough to realize she wasn't an "Angel", but a mere "human" like them. I almost /facepalmed at that moment.

Don't really have much else to say at the moment. I think the "shadow" incident could be related to the head guild member, but I'm just basing that off the fact we have only seen him once so far, and they made a strong enough impression of him to make him stand out.

I hope we get to hear about Kanade's burdens soon.

Archangel
Fri, 06-18-2010, 07:36 PM
Mazui - Episode 12 (http://mazuisubs.com/torrents/Mazui_Angel_Beats_-_12_234F6A36.mkv.torrent)

Only one more to go :(

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-18-2010, 11:04 PM
I still feel confused about the explanation -

- so someone got into the system with a memory loss,
- didn't live a life with regrets,
- found love here but had her move on,
- couldn't bear the waiting so,
- created a system that turned him into an NPC, and along the way
- created a trigger that all love is to be eradicated (because this place is not for love?!)

What happened between Yuri and the shadows to get her clothes all messed up anyway? :rolleyes:

I'm hoping we get a mention of Kanade's past and why she ended up here (or couldn't graduate) though, since that part's been bugging me.

David75
Sat, 06-19-2010, 04:14 AM
I still feel confused about the explanation -

- so someone got into the system with a memory loss,
- didn't live a life with regrets,
- found love here but had her move on,
- couldn't bear the waiting so,
- created a system that turned him into an NPC, and along the way
- created a trigger that all love is to be eradicated (because this place is not for love?!)

What happened between Yuri and the shadows to get her clothes all messed up anyway? :rolleyes:

I'm hoping we get a mention of Kanade's past and why she ended up here (or couldn't graduate) though, since that part's been bugging me.

Kanade could be that programmer, she has the right profile.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 06-19-2010, 06:06 AM
But she admitted that she was a human, no? I didn't think she could be an NPC after that.

Otherwise she'd be perfect, yeah.

Kraco
Sat, 06-19-2010, 06:07 AM
In a certain sense, yes. Though she would have deviated pretty far from an NPC status already. But it would explain how she was able to program her upgrades.

Archangel
Sat, 06-19-2010, 07:44 AM
It got pretty confusing, i'm hoping SS' version wil help shed some light into this when it's out

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-25-2010, 09:51 PM
Mazui - Episode 13 (http://mazuisubs.com/torrents/Mazui_Angel_Beats_-_13_22F46E66.mkv.torrent)

RyougaZell
Fri, 06-25-2010, 10:24 PM
So... as much as I liked the episode... I want to know how Kanade got into this world way before Otonashi... regarding the final revelation I mean.

animus
Fri, 06-25-2010, 11:27 PM
Uhhhh.... ok... Is my reaction.

The whole ending just seems so contrived and uninspired. I don't see how Otonashi still doesn't have a heart. If that's the case, he should have a permanent gash in his body in which they removed the heart. Or Yui should still be paralyzed, etc. Trying to use logic in fiction is never a good thing, but if they're gonna use it for one thing I don't see why they don't keep the silliness consistent.

Not saying I didn't like it, but some of the things they said were just straight up silly.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 06-26-2010, 01:06 AM
I didn't manage to cry over anything, but it really felt like I was kind of close. (the tight feeling in your chest).

Part of why the ending didn't fell as, well, "good" as we might have hoped for was the way things suddenly happened. Yuri suddenly started calling Angel "Kanade-chan", Kanade's abrupt, light-hearted, cute persona, busting out "Yuzuru" were examples.

So... as much as I liked the episode... I want to know how Kanade got into this world way before Otonashi... regarding the final revelation I mean.

Kanade said she was "lost and wandered in here", meaning that this world isn't the only place there is in the afterlife. How time works and stuff, whether people wander around a lot more in other planes for whatever reason before coming here is all unexplained, so whether we simply take this as a plothole is up to us.

Given that timelines don't match up, I was starting to wonder if the person who was responsible for the Shadow Incident was actually Otonashi himself {enter unexplained timeline mechanics here so things make sense}

Angel Beats turned out pretty enjoyable regardless. It had a fair share of likable characters that I got rather attached to - and to me that's half the fight. The humour also delivered, so topped off with a nice score and visuals, there's not much to dislike.

It helps that this has always been a lighter series, making it much easier to take it less seriously.

Kraco
Sat, 06-26-2010, 02:49 AM
I have to share Bill's sentiments. This wasn't exactly a heavy-weight series to begin with, though of course not without any depth either, so keeping things in the right proportions this succeeded quite well in my opinion.

I it also visited my mind that Otonashi's situation reflected the shadow master's quite well after Kanade disappeared but I still doubt he could ever be him or even become like that. It hardly fits together with the fact he knows everything already. He can't really first help someone disappear and then keep eternally waiting for that soul's return. For he did indeed help her and willingly. It's not like a dude like him would have doomed somebody he loved. I reckon he disappeared himself right after catching his breath again. He could have disappeared a long time ago, after all, if he hadn't felt like helping the others.

A good series all in all even if it didn't quite reach such heights as some earlier Key works have. But at least we had the most cute Angel in this one!

Archangel
Sat, 06-26-2010, 11:23 AM
The plot itself was never why i enjoyed watching this series, that point of the show was always sort of rushed and confusing, i have to say that i probably would have liked it a whole lot more with some better pacing but i still overall found it to be a great watch.

The points i would criticize are that I was always in it for the characters and that's why this episode's "out of character meltdown" rubbed me the wrong way, i understand the theory behind it and why they did it but still didn't like how they did it. Also, i can't believe Kanade didn't say she loved him back, that was brutal!

But the absolutely unforgivable aspect of it all came by the ending:

- They cut Kanade's hair short!! :( :( :(

Fuck, now all fan art coming from this point on is gonna have her with short hair, that's total bulshit...

Marik
Sat, 06-26-2010, 04:04 PM
[Nipponsei] Angel Beats! Insert Song Album - Keep The Beats! [Girls Dead Monster].zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Angel%20Beats%21%20Insert%20Song %20Album%20-%20Keep%20The%20Beats%21%20%5BGirls%20Dead%20Monst er%5D.zip.torrent)

Archangel
Sat, 06-26-2010, 04:52 PM
【塩ビ】 BLACK LAGOON × Angel Beats! 【ブラクラ】 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYBjyZfwvpM)

This shit is awesome, i need moar

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 06-26-2010, 05:57 PM
That....is so freaking awesome Arch....

Keno
Sat, 06-26-2010, 05:58 PM
【塩ビ】 BLACK LAGOON × Angel Beats! 【ブラクラ】 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mRAGYXAmdM)

This shit is awesome, i need moar

Coincidentally, I just started watching Black Lagoon yesterday. One of the best Openings I've ever seen. Whoever did that mix deserves some props. Very good visual/music sync.

Archangel
Sat, 06-26-2010, 07:01 PM
K-ON!! Beats! OP My Soul,Your Beats! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxzYtDREvwQ)

I'm on a motherfucking roll

enkoujin
Wed, 12-22-2010, 12:16 AM
Angel Beats Unaired Episode [STREAM] (http://www.animedreaming.tv/anime/angel-beats-special/)

Now, this is comedy.

Marik
Wed, 12-22-2010, 12:21 AM
Mazui released an avi of that earlier.

Mazui - Angel Beats - Special - XviD.avi (http://herpes.deepbone.net/data/torrents/Mazui_Angel_Beats_-_Special_XviDE49CD336.avi.torrent)

NeoCybercoin
Wed, 12-22-2010, 05:36 PM
I've build this body solely for watching this!

Archangel
Wed, 12-22-2010, 07:54 PM
That is one hell of a shitty raw, even by xvid standards

Buffalobiian
Thu, 12-23-2010, 04:16 AM
That is one hell of a shitty raw, even by xvid standards

Yeah, but I loved that Tension Meter, even it if wasn't reliable half the time.

Normal Yui is alright, but I found her simply way too loud here. On the other hand, all this High Tension brought out some nice scenes for the Observation Girl.

Archangel
Sun, 12-26-2010, 08:55 AM
Angel Beats: Another Epilogue (http://mazuisubs.com/torrents/Mazui_Angel_Beats_-_Another_Epilogue_C230789A.mkv.torrent)

I came from the potential in this

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Angel Beats: Another Epilogue (http://mazuisubs.com/torrents/Mazui_Angel_Beats_-_Another_Epilogue_C230789A.mkv.torrent)

I came from the potential in this

You know, coming so soon to everything just means you're a quicky. ;)

This is certainly worth looking forward to though. It seems to take place after Kanade moves on, but before Otonashi does.

I'm torn between whether he's waiting for Kanade or for his sister.

David75
Sun, 12-26-2010, 10:07 AM
It's probably the best teaser I have ever seen.

I just hope the next stage won't be deceiving.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-26-2010, 10:13 AM
It's probably the best teaser I have ever seen.

I just noticed the photos on the student council room's whiteboard.