PDA

View Full Version : Game: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Penner
Thu, 03-25-2010, 04:40 PM
I hadn't even heard of this until very recently, apparently its an upcoming Star Wars MMORPG from Bioware, who's previous games include SW:KotOR, Neverwinter Nights, Baldurs Gate, Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect... the list goes on ^^

So i went over to GameTrailers and checked if there were any previews and whatnot, and i found this trailer from E3 2009:

Jedi VS Sith Cinematic Trailer (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-star-wars/49936)

How crazy awesome was that?

animus
Thu, 03-25-2010, 05:52 PM
Yeah, I've been keeping my eye on it for a bit. But, I have to say the graphics look very Xbox Era KoToRish quality.

Genma
Fri, 03-26-2010, 10:40 AM
The fact that it's an MMORPG sorta keeps me from being excited. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed a lot of MMOs in the past, but I was hoping for a KoTOR3.

KoTOR was just sheer awesomeness and a thoroughly enjoyable game to play. I honestly despise 2... not sure why... but thankfully Bioware had nothing to do with that abomination.

So no KoTOR3, at least for now. :( Oh well... they did put some fanservice in that clip, since I saw a few of the sith jedi wearing masks almost identical to Revan's.

Ryllharu
Fri, 03-26-2010, 03:24 PM
I liked the mechanics of Kotor2 a great deal more than the first. Sure, the plot wasn't anywhere near as good, but the characters made up for it. Being able to corrupt/redeem your comrades insidiously was a treat, and they had a lot more personality than the character archetypes who were present in the first. There was a depth to pretty much all of them. Kreia is also one of the deepest characters ever written into a western rpg. She really made you think after every single conversation you had with her.

As for the story...it was rushed out the gate to hit release date. Obsidian in my eyes has proved themselves with their later releases, it was clear that LucasArts forced them to shove Kotor2 out unfinished.

(Light side was boring in both KOTORs as far as I was concerned)

/offtopic

As for Swtor, I'm a bit ambivalent towards it. MMOs haven't served me well, although Bioware giving it nearly if not fully voiced dialogue is a plus. The classes bother me a bit. There are the fighter jedi, sorcerer jedi, heavy weapons, and stealthy class. Which boils down to Melee, Wizard, Artillery, and Rogue. I know that a few well balanced classes is pretty standard fare for Bioware, but I'd like a bit more variety when it comes to MMOs. On the other hand, it does seem like more of an Instanced MMO, so a smaller number of balanced classes makes it easier to pair up with friends and just play.

If it wasn't an MMO, I'd be all over it, but for some reason I just can't get into it...and I love Star Wars (when Lucas isn't directly involved).

I'm going to adopt a wait-and-see approach.

animus
Fri, 03-26-2010, 05:25 PM
I don't have a problem with instanced gameplay, but something makes me think that they need to have a TON of instance scenario variety. Otherwise it would get old fast if you would have to do the same scenario over and over and listen to the same dialogue.

On the subject of Obsidian, I hope Alpha Protocol turns out well. The shooting mechanics look very iffy, like ME1 and the graphics look rather unpolished.

KrayZ33
Mon, 07-05-2010, 04:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0RuR3FREFw&feature=fvst

E3 2010 trailer
for those who havn't seen it yet.
especially beautiful in HD

to be honest, I'd prefer a new Jedi Knight or Republic Commando rather than a MMO when I see this.

Penner
Mon, 07-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Nerdgasm!

God damn, they need to make a fucking CGI movie or a tv-series made like that, shit is insane!