PDA

View Full Version : One Piece Chapter 579

Marik
Wed, 03-24-2010, 02:32 PM
mangastream / binktopia

Online Viewing (http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/579-78/2) | Direct Download (http://static.mangastream.com/download/OnePiece_579.zip)

rockmanj
Wed, 03-24-2010, 02:50 PM
This chapter really solidified how much of a dick Akainu really is. It will be sweet when someone puts boots to him.

Death BOO Z
Wed, 03-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Oda topped himself again.

Munsu
Wed, 03-24-2010, 03:03 PM
I jizzed my pants.

Archangel
Wed, 03-24-2010, 03:19 PM
What a predictable chapter, i totally saw this one coming... seriously...

Death13a
Wed, 03-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Coby gets my Kudos. Seriously any more fighting with Whitebeards is a waste of Marine's lives.

RyougaZell
Wed, 03-24-2010, 03:45 PM
I came. Three times.

TwisT
Wed, 03-24-2010, 03:55 PM
I jizzed my pants.

Second that! Holy shit! The most awesome pirate enters the stage. The wait for the next chapter is gonna be torture.

rockmanj
Wed, 03-24-2010, 04:11 PM
I don't know if the chapter was that good, but I hope this arc is wrapped up soon. And man, that absolute justice crap makes people crazy, it seems like (or it it just chiefly adopted by crazy people?) . I think Sengoku will order his men to stand down. I know he is supposed to champion absolute justice as well, but they basically accomplished what they set out to do, and he doesn't seem like a fool.

Splash!
Wed, 03-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Haha, look at the expression on Akainu's face..... I hope Shanks gets out of this unscathed. Theres one pirate I definitely dont want to see harmed.

Assertn
Wed, 03-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Oda topped himself again.
Must be boring up there on top

Also, I love that Shanks is the one to recover the straw hat. I wonder if he's going to hold onto it until the next time him and Luffy meet again.

joker-kun
Wed, 03-24-2010, 05:26 PM
I wonder why exactly the "few seconds" are so important, maybe because they saved Luffy, and Shanks is still betting the New Age on him?

To add to the previous conversation: my pants are also stained white. It is great to see Shanks show up - not to mention he looks absolutely badass along with Beckman. It's great that Oda had him make an appearance after two prominent characters died, rather than before (as to stop the deaths from happening).

I think, for now, Shanks will make the Marine's realize that rather than wasting half their forces on chasing fleeing pirates they need to focus on BlackBeard considering he's destroying the whole damn island. I don't think we'll see much fighting from him, but I sure hope he lays the beat-down on Akainu, or even kills hims (though this is doubtful).

Shanks probably sees that - to a point - the Marines are needed to keep the world safe from malicious, murderous pirates (i.e. BB), so does not want them completely eradicated, especially with BB and his new found power. Shanks will also probably open a few eyes considering a pirate - one of the Yonkou no less - saved a marine that was about to be killed by a high ranking Marine - an Admiral. Shouldn't that be the other way around?

Oh, and I enjoy how arguably for the first time Akainu looks scared (when Shanks stops his attack on the double spread). I guess you could say it is surprise but I think there is some fear in his expression.

RyougaZell
Wed, 03-24-2010, 05:38 PM
Shanks will also probably open a few eyes considering a pirate - one of the Yonkou no less - saved a marine that was about to be killed by a high ranking Marine - an Admiral. Shouldn't that be the other way around?

We must note that the Tsunami warning had people flee from the monitors not seeing this. And we really haven't seen more monitors on other lands... so the world missed this very big event.

I want to see Buggy's reaction upon Shanks' arrival.

Death BOO Z
Wed, 03-24-2010, 06:14 PM
I want to see Buggy's reaction upon Shanks' arrival.

probably along the lines of "you've come too late to stop me, my nemsis. I'll kill you next!"

only this time, he'll mean it.

Dark Dragon
Wed, 03-24-2010, 06:52 PM
I never thought i would ever see Kizaru surrendering to someone holding a gun. It's good to know despite all these overpowered beings, guns aren't rendered obsolete.

I think Shanks was simply observing the event and didn't interfere until now.

Assertn
Wed, 03-24-2010, 11:05 PM
I wonder if Coby is going to be banished from the marines, now... or maybe he'll leave the marines to pursue his own ideals of "justice."

Despite how easily Shanks strikes fear in all the marines, they're still actively fighting Blackbeard on the other side, whom was supposedly stronger than Shanks even before either of the two devils fruit he now possesses. Then again, I'd like to believe Shanks received those scars as an apprentice on Gold Rogers' ship, rather than as a yonkou.

Hell, maybe Blackbeard will become a yonkou himself after the time skip, since yonkou does imply "4 Emperors," and Whitebeard's death just freed up a slot.

UChessmaster
Wed, 03-24-2010, 11:30 PM
Despite how easily Shanks strikes fear in all the marines, they're still actively fighting Blackbeard on the other side, whom was supposedly stronger than Shanks even before either of the two devils fruit he now possesses. Then again, I'd like to believe Shanks received those scars as an apprentice on Gold Rogers' ship, rather than as a yonkou.

His reputation precedes him, Shanks is a well known Yonkou that is probably almost as strong as whitebeard, i repeat in italic almost as strong as whitebeard, that`s like almost as long as infinite, blackbeard on the other hand is a no body that suddenly got a rank at sichibukai.

TwisT
Thu, 03-25-2010, 12:10 AM

Shanks Jolly Roger has those scars so i would assume he got them before he formed his own pirate crew.

Splash!
Thu, 03-25-2010, 10:40 AM

Yeah I dont think Shanks is super strong either. He can probably hold his own against Akainu but I don't think he will be able to knock him down with a single punch like Whitebeard. That of course, doesn't make him any less awesome though.

I think of Shanks as more of a strong, intelligent leader. As a commander, I think he was far superior to Whitebeard.

animus
Thu, 03-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Yeah, Shanks doesn't seem that strong. I recall it saying that Shanks used to rival Mihawk before he lost his arm, and Mihawk's pretty small fish at the moment compared to everyone else is he not?

Carnage
Thu, 03-25-2010, 03:31 PM
Yeah, Shanks doesn't seem that strong. I recall it saying that Shanks used to rival Mihawk before he lost his arm, and Mihawk's pretty small fish at the moment compared to everyone else is he not?

Who said it was before he lost his arm? And if I remember correctly, Mihawk said he gave up on challenging Shanks, which imlpies that it was Mihawk's goal to defeat Shanks, which implies that Shanks is the stronger of the two.

Assertn
Thu, 03-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Didn't Zoro want to challenge Mihawk because Mihawk holds the title for "World's strongest swordsman"?

Sentenal
Thu, 03-25-2010, 05:12 PM
Shanks was able to split the sky with Whitebeard back when he visited him on that ship, so I think he is probably close to Whitebeard's strength.

animus
Thu, 03-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Who said it was before he lost his arm? And if I remember correctly, Mihawk said he gave up on challenging Shanks, which imlpies that it was Mihawk's goal to defeat Shanks, which implies that Shanks is the stronger of the two.

When was this? I was pretty sure Shanks or someone else had said they used to be both neck and neck in swordsmanship at least when he still had his arm. Maybe it was when they were drinking some sake together? I can't recall.

Carnage
Thu, 03-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Didn't Zoro want to challenge Mihawk because Mihawk holds the title for "World's strongest swordsman"?

Just because he uses a sword doesn't mean he is a "swordsman". Whitebeard used that spear, but his main ability was the Quake. Mihawk may be the strongest swordsman, but he is certainly not the strongest fighter.

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/96/16/

boilerph
Thu, 03-25-2010, 06:26 PM
It seemed like giving BB the quake power was a way to let him survive a fight against a high-level non-df user. WB said something along the lines that BB had no defense and was unprepared to fight someone who didn't rely on df powers. Before the quake addition it seemed like Shanks would have mopped the floor with BB.

chambers
Thu, 03-25-2010, 06:39 PM
Wow.

I wonder if we could get our first glimpse of kaidou? Shanks last known position was intercepting him was it not? perhaps the two have hatched a plan between them to benefit from the war in some way.

It seems from what we have seen so far that shanks is stronger? we still dont know if shanks has an ability yet, perhaps he has somthing that can totally change the game on the marines? We have seen the marines quit fearlessly take on, and pretty much anihilate the whitebeard pirates who basically ammounted to a rogue army! But shanks all on his lonesome with one cremate manages to hold down 2 admirals and plans to end the war? he must have somthing or some ability up his sleave (the other one i presume).

Assertn
Thu, 03-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Shanks went into the water to save Luffy from the sea king, so unless he obtained a devils fruit since then, I'd believe he's just pure haki combat.

Augury
Fri, 03-26-2010, 03:30 AM

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/96/16/

The way Mihawk's line is translated can also be interpreted as him saying that Shanks is not worth fighting anymore since he lost his arm, which would indicate that Mihawk was on par, but is now stronger than Shanks. I also think that we can assume Mihawk wouldn't willingly walk into an Emperor's camp alone if he didn't believe he could get out safely.

'Course, this is inconsistent with what we've seen in this "war" arc with Mihawk being held by Vista, Whitebeard's 5th division commander. My guess is that Mihawk and Shanks are probably comparable in individual ability - that is to say, one wouldn't be overwhelmed by the other - but Shanks commands a lot more power through his crew and possible fleet.

joker-kun
Fri, 03-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Like someone else already said (Carnage?), Mihawk is the strongest swordsmen, not the strongest fighter.

Personally I think Shanks is one of the strongest Haki users in the entire manga, and I think Oda has tried to show him that way.

As Assertn said, he jumped in the water to save Luffy, and at that time was able to scare off a Sea King with a stare - presumably Haki (who knows, maybe he's eaten a fruit since then).

Then we saw him on WB's ship knocking people unconscious with his Haki. Now yes, we have seen this before (even with Luffy in the current arc), but what I found interesting with Shanks was that - from what I could tell - he didn't really do any "Haki burst". Both Raylaigh (sp?) and Luffy had clear "bursts" that coincided with the intense (somewhat constipated) look on their face. Shanks simply walked by.

He then went on to split the sky into two with WB, and of course the latest incident he stoped Akainu's attack relatively easy.

Idk, I could be wrong, but I get the drift that he's one of - if not the - strongest Haki user in the manga at this point. After all, he is Yonkou, most likely without a Devil's Fruit.

animus
Fri, 03-26-2010, 11:18 AM
I'd say Rayleigh is stronger than Shanks. He was the right hand man of Roger after all. But then again, he was in a deadlock with Kizaru or so it seemed for plot purposes.

Dark Dragon
Fri, 03-26-2010, 12:23 PM
To me it doesn't seem so clear cut as to who is stronger than who.

The comment Mihawk made to me seem along a more prideful tone of "I won't fight a cripple man" than an indication of Shank's strength. I wouldn't say that Mihawk is weaker than the admirals either since he could stand toe to toe with anyone of them if he has the ability to use Haki. It's not like Mihawk being on par with Vista makes him any weaker. After all Marco was on par with Kizaru until the seastone cuffs. I can't imagine that there is such a huge gap of strength between the first and fifth division commander.

I think it's more along the line of who is more suited to fight who. We've seen Jinbei not being able to hold off a Logia user like Akainu, but his monstrous strength would cause trouble for pretty much everyone else.

Shanks also strike me as a brain over brawn kinda guy. Even if we assume that he is weaker than the admirals (which i doubt) it's hard for me to believe that he walked into the middle of all this without some sort of a plan.

Munsu
Fri, 03-26-2010, 02:26 PM
As often, we fall into the vs. trap.

boilerph
Sun, 03-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Didn't Shanks say on Whitebeards ship that he felt he had to be a little intimidating? To me this implies that he wasn't even using a large portion of his strength and was still knocking out low-level pirates just by walking by.
Also, I always assumed his duals against Mihawk were just to work on actual swordfighting technique. I doubt Shanks was using Haki in duels against him and was more just challenging himself to improve his actual sword skill.

poopdeville
Mon, 03-29-2010, 01:53 PM
I don't know. We've seen Luffy and Zoro and Luffy and Ussop fighting seriously. Shit can happen between close friends. I mean, a "jolly pirate" will fight anybody who gets in the way of his goals.

We know that Roger and Whitebeard were at least friendly, if not friends (I am guessing they were... Roger offered to give Whitebeard directions to Raftel, but Whitebeard wasn't even interested in it.) One the other hand, we know they have fought duels against each other. Since they're both "jolly pirates", we can assume that their duels came about since their goals conflicted, but that it wasn't "personal", and that they stopped fighting as soon as their goals stopped conflicting.

I guess the point I'm making is that Shanks versus Mihawk could have been "serious", but that they needn't become enemies just because they have fought in the past. Even now, they're on opposite sides of a war, specifically because Shanks realized that Blackbeard was using the WG to tip the balance of the world. And you can be (pretty) sure that if Mihawk and Shanks end up facing off, they'll fight seriously, despite the fact that Mihawk surely realized it (about Blackbeard) too.

Archangel
Tue, 03-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Fucking Oda wouldn't even kill Pell, there's no way he's killing off Ace.

I wouldn't even believe that he was going to kill off Whitebeard if it weren't for the fact that he already seems to be dying and that this whole arc is kind of pointless if Whitebeard doesn't die.

Kukuku, the fool dares to underestimate Oda-sensei ...

Dark Dragon
Tue, 03-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Kukuku, the fool dares to underestimate Oda-sensei ...

For me, Ace's death left a bigger impact precisely because he didn't kill Pell.

Archangel
Tue, 03-30-2010, 04:22 PM
For me, Ace's death left a bigger impact precisely because he didn't kill Pell.
I don't know, i think his death would have had a lot of significance too

FireEmblem
Wed, 03-31-2010, 10:15 AM
Shanks blocked a physical attack from Whitebeard with one arm. The only purpose of that clash was to show that he was strong. We've seen a bunch of pe:oople get owned by Whitebeards physical attacks in this war so we know just how powerful they are.