PDA

View Full Version : vbulletin upgraded

complich8
Mon, 03-22-2010, 12:03 AM
I've updated vbulletin to the latest version in the 3.x line, to fix a couple outstanding issues.

Predictably, I've introduced several new issues into the mix as a result. These mainly have to do with new features that our old theme doesn't surface, and old plugins and mods that have been superseded by built-in functionality.

I'll be working to correct these issues as I find out about them. But I'm sure you'll be finding them before I do. So please, submit your comments about what's broken here! Meanwhile, I've enabled the vbulletin default theme, so if you want to check out the new features that we're missing on the gotwoot style, or you want to trade off on appearance to get functionality back, feel free to hop over to that one.

Depending on how much theme-related breakage went on, I might re-style a copy of the default theme into something resembling the current gotwoot style, or might just skip it and forge ahead to the vb 4.0 upgrade.

Running count of known issues

invalid security token errors working on it
reputation display not showing up fixed
favicon reverted to default fixed
Double-post on quick-reply status unknown, may be a cached js issue. Is this still happening?
captcha in the search not a bug, but fixed
"Search this thread" not working appears to be working?.
Quickreply box size has shrunk, is undesirably small looking into it
Multi-quote in default theme is strange works as expected - to multiquote, you pick the things you want to quote, then you click "quote" on one of them and compose your multi-quote reply.
Strange thread navigation problems unconfirmed, need an example
No "viewpost.gif" in gotwoot theme fixed, willing to take better theme-matching submissions on this and other buttons.
Text color dropdown on full reply not working Confirmed, TODO..
Some moderation functions not working TODO
Inferno warning system not looking like it works anymore TODO
Disable reputation functionality working differently than before gotta look into that.
QReply button no longer works, at all Confirmed. TODO.
[Signature upload problems caused by old sig limits plugin, fixed now
old photopost vbAdvance gallery is broken. Looking into possibly importing that gallery content into vb's built-in gallery. Leaving the images in place so old image hotlinks should still work too.
User profiles sorta broken... Confirmed. TODO.

Kraco
Mon, 03-22-2010, 04:30 AM
When making a post, I got an error message telling the post is a dublicate of a post I've already made within the last five minutes. When in fact it was my first post today. It got posted nonetheless, in the General discussion News thread.

I'm not sure if there's any difference compared to the old, but the Quick Reply textbox could perhaps be a bit wider. Now it has plenty of wasted space on both sides. Assuming widening it isn't much trouble.

Edit: The Quick Reply made a double post here.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 03-22-2010, 05:02 AM
I quick-replied too in a General Discussion thread, which popped up with a message saying that I need to wait 30secs before I can post again - despite being my first post for a while. Opening a new tab to view the forum shows that the post was indeed made when I clicked "Post Quick Reply", and that the request was sent twice somehow.

edit: Right after I "quick replied" just now, I got the 5min message described by Kraco.

edit2: After the upgrade I have repped some users who appear to have no green/red bar. I assumed that was because they had zero reputation. After repping them, they still showed no green/red bar.

edit3: Capcha is back in the search function. Unsure if this was intended.

darkshadow
Mon, 03-22-2010, 08:20 AM
"Mark forums read" gives me this error:

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was invalid.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

Munsu
Mon, 03-22-2010, 09:19 AM
There's also no "Search in this thread" function that I can see. And yeah, captcha on searches doesn't seem like a good thing.

complich8
Mon, 03-22-2010, 09:44 AM
quick reply double-post .... noted. I've fallen victim to the quickreply double-post thing too... so it's definitely actually posting twice. Bizarre.
captcha on search .... yeah, I guess we don't need that. Shouldn't be there anymore.
missing rep people: could you point out an example to me in a PM?
mark forum read, search this thread problems are probably related. Duly noted. That's probably the most troublesome thing to fix =/.
quickreply size: lemme see if I can find that.

RyougaZell
Mon, 03-22-2010, 12:50 PM
I was toying around between Gotwoot's Style and the default one, so its not really bug but rather left over from trying things.

The default style has a multiple-quotes button which didn't do anything when checked. Then I returned to the Gotwoot style and tried to quote a post, in the same thread, and it quoted all the posts I had previously marked for quoting.

I also encountered the double post bug from the quick reply button.

And two things that I see as new:
- Quoted posts now have a link that can take you to the quoted post
- Invisible button to those who navigate Invisible. Previously is appeared as 'OFF' (not sure if this one is new... but I hadn't noticed it before)

Munsu
Mon, 03-22-2010, 01:06 PM
About the quick-reply:

It now seems like you don't have to "enable" the quick reply text box by clicking on the QReply botton of a post. It's no longer grayed out as before.

What this does though is that it is no longer sending you automatically to the text box after clicking on "QReply" and the "Quote message in reply" isn't working.

Marik
Mon, 03-22-2010, 01:20 PM
The disable your reputation function seems to be broken. Before the update, I wouldn't see my reps when I went to the control panel, but now they're all visible like they are when you set it to show reputation.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 03-22-2010, 04:17 PM
This is what happened when I viewed the Amazing Cosplay MUST SEE NOW thread 1 minute ago.

I clicked on the "view first unread post" button from my control panel (as I'm subscribed to the thread). It takes me to the post. However, both the URL in my browser and the contents of the page show that I'm on page 117 of the thread, and that there's a page 118. When I click to go to page 118, it brings me back to 117.

I then backed out into the Anime subforum section and pressed the "Last Page" link for the cosplay thread. It also brings me back to page 117, with a link to page 118 available.

PS: QuickReplying just now had no issues.

Kraco
Mon, 03-22-2010, 04:33 PM
I don't even know what they are called, but didn't Gotwoot use to have its own logo/icon that's connected to the site? So that when you bookmark the site, the symbol is carried over to the bookmark? At least firefox also shows the logo left of the url in the address bar. Right now it's the default blue vbulleting logo.

Marik
Mon, 03-22-2010, 04:35 PM
It's still the red circle/white capital G logo for me.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 03-22-2010, 04:42 PM
My bookmark retains the red G (or counterclockwise arrow) icon.

My address bar and tabs show the default blue icon. (firefox)

Edit: and that's probably because my bookmark links me to the default www.gotwoot.net page while I'm currently browsing the forums.gotwoot.net section.

RyougaZell
Mon, 03-22-2010, 05:38 PM
My bookmark retains the red G (or counterclockwise arrow) icon.

My address bar and tabs show the default blue icon. (firefox)

Edit: and that's probably because my bookmark links me to the default www.gotwoot.net page while I'm currently browsing the forums.gotwoot.net section.

I also have the G bookmark.

Anyway...
Im almost sure the 'greater than' symbol ( > ) besides the page numbers took you to the last page on the previous version and not the next page. Or maybe it did and the last page button is missing?

Also, the repping system on the vbulletin version, so we can please avoid it... Repping gives you a pop up screen after placing the rep. I think that is kinda annoying and hopefully we can avoid it if we get a new theme or updated theme from it. Though I laughed when it told me "thanks for subtracting points from the user" or "thank you giving him points, hopefully they will be given back to you" or something like that.

darkshadow
Mon, 03-22-2010, 06:07 PM
"http://forums.gotwoot.net/gotwoot/images/buttons/viewpost.gif"

Doesn't exist.

Alhuin
Mon, 03-22-2010, 06:13 PM
missing rep people: could you point out an example to me in a PM?

Not sure if this qualifys, but my reputation hover bar seems to have disappeared (under my avatar). At first I thought it was just that it didn't show it while I was logged in, but after browsing the forums while logged out, it still seems to have been lost. I still have my rep points in my control panel.

Ryllharu
Mon, 03-22-2010, 08:05 PM
The text color drop down doesn't seem to work. You can click the button to get the hex code for black, but it doesn't drop down to let you select any other default colors.

The others (font, sizes, smiles, attachments) work fine.

complich8
Mon, 03-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Not sure if this qualifys, but my reputation hover bar seems to have disappeared (under my avatar). At first I thought it was just that it didn't show it while I was logged in, but after browsing the forums while logged out, it still seems to have been lost. I still have my rep points in my control panel.

That looks like changes in functions_reputation.php (the file that, logically, has functions related to reputation). I have a customized functions_reputation, because otherwise the bigger people here would be running around giving 15000 point reps instead of the low 30's they're giving now.

I've changed that functions file, and I think things are working right. You'll want to verify.

"http://forums.gotwoot.net/gotwoot/images/buttons/viewpost.gif"

Doesn't exist.

copied from default theme. May or may not look out of place in gotwoot theme. Now accepting gif submissions for missing or weird-looking buttons.

I don't even know what they are called, but didn't Gotwoot use to have its own logo/icon that's connected to the site? So that when you bookmark the site, the symbol is carried over to the bookmark? At least firefox also shows the logo left of the url in the address bar. Right now it's the default blue vbulleting logo.

favicon.ico. unpacking the vbulletin archive and deploying it overwrote it, and I had forgotten about it. I've replaced it, but you may need to clear caches and/or refresh, or wait for it to expire from your cache before the G logo shows up again.

The text color drop down doesn't seem to work. You can click the button to get the hex code for black, but it doesn't drop down to let you select any other default colors.

The others (font, sizes, smiles, attachments) work fine.

Ugh. Seems like JS problems. Have to look into that, noted.

In other news, after 4 hours of sleep and a pretty intense 10 hour shift, I don't think I have a whole lot to give to these issues tonight. I'm going to use the first post in the thread to organize the list of problems and their statuses. Let me know if I got everything right, what I'm missing, etc. I'll try to get some time to fight with it tomorrow...

Munsu
Mon, 03-22-2010, 11:49 PM
You forgot to mention what I mentioned in my post above about the behavior of the Quick Reply.
http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?p=457982&postcount=8

Edit: Search This Thread is now showing up btw.

Not sure, but the text for the "Moderation" tools seems to be missing. There's an image there that contains the tools, but I think there's some text being eaten up after "Display Modes".

complich8
Tue, 03-23-2010, 12:08 AM
quickreply button: noted.
search: calling it resolved unless I hear otherwise, then.
Moderation tools: in the "thread tools" menu you mean? I know about that one... if you've got another one to point out, might need more specific information about it.

Munsu
Tue, 03-23-2010, 04:28 AM
The menus I currently have are "Thread Tools", "Search this Thread", and "Display Modes". Each of these text are accompanied by a small rectagle image with a dot in the middle. I have 4 of those images, the last one to the right after the Display Modes seems to be missing a text lable discribing the menu, if it has one at all. The menu contains "Select All, Deselect All, Ivert Selection, etc". I called it Moderation mainly becase the ALT description of the image pops up the text "Moderation". Maybe it shouldn't have a text label like the other menus, and certainly it's not something I particularly care about, but just in case...

That enough, or do you need more?

Archangel
Tue, 03-23-2010, 08:25 AM
When trying to change my sig i got this message

Fatal error: Using $this when not in object context in /home/forumsg/public_html/vb/includes/class_upload.php on line 402

Munsu
Tue, 03-23-2010, 09:10 AM
Didn't the join date used to say the day you registered, not just the month and year like it's doing now?

Marik
Tue, 03-23-2010, 09:20 AM
I think it's always been just the month and year since I've been here. I've only seen the exact join dates in the browse members section.

Munsu
Tue, 03-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Seems like you're correct.

RyougaZell
Tue, 03-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Just know I posted the 1st post on a new page of a thread. Then I edited it for spelling mistakes. After pressing save I was returned to the new page but it was empty. I had to refresh the page to see my post.

I also pressed the 'Go Advanced' button while editing and got this message:

Este fichero XML no parece tener ninguna información de estilo asociada. Se muestra debajo el árbol del documento.
<error>
Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.<br />
<br />
If this occurred unexpectedly, please <a href="sendmessage.php">inform the administrator</a> and describe the action you performed before you received this error.
</error>

EDIT:
When editing this post, to add the XML error this post also 'dissapeared' after pressing save. Had to refresh the page to see it. Seems to only happen to the one editing.

Alhuin
Tue, 03-23-2010, 11:34 AM
That looks like changes in functions_reputation.php (the file that, logically, has functions related to reputation). I have a customized functions_reputation, because otherwise the bigger people here would be running around giving 15000 point reps instead of the low 30's they're giving now.

That fixed it apparently. My rep hover bar is back (with my measely one block =P). Thanks.

Though, now that Archie mentioned it, I had the same error message as he did when trying to upload a new sig from another website. Luckily I was able to upload mine straight from my machine instead, so I didn't think much about it.

XanBcoo
Tue, 03-23-2010, 12:21 PM
The menus I currently have are "Thread Tools", "Search this Thread", and "Display Modes". Each of these text are accompanied by a small rectagle image with a dot in the middle. I have 4 of those images, the last one to the right after the Display Modes seems to be missing a text lable discribing the menu, if it has one at all. The menu contains "Select All, Deselect All, Ivert Selection, etc". I called it Moderation mainly becase the ALT description of the image pops up the text "Moderation". Maybe it shouldn't have a text label like the other menus, and certainly it's not something I particularly care about, but just in case...

Similar to this, under the "Thread Tools" menu I'm seeing a button/checkbox thing in the Moderation Tools without a label under "close thread" and above "edit thread".

Munsu
Tue, 03-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Yeah, that's the "move thread" option, that was the first thing I mentioned to comp in the "other" thread if you get my meaning.

complich8
Tue, 03-23-2010, 08:16 PM
disappearing posts are probably AJAX-related. If you post something with quickreply, it's ajax-posted instead of "real" posted, and if you get there again without doing a full page load, those scripts get reset and the post doesn't show up. That's expected (but annoying).

I haven't been able to confirm the sig upload problems. Are they still there? Is anyone else having them?

masamuneehs
Wed, 03-24-2010, 07:55 AM
tried to use the gallery today and made me sad.

but, wow, comp8, you still poking around in this place? you've got some dedication issues, my friend =p

KitKat
Wed, 03-24-2010, 04:33 PM
There doesn't seem to be any information showing up when viewing user's profiles, besides their username and title.

Archangel
Wed, 03-24-2010, 04:51 PM
There doesn't seem to be any information showing up when viewing user's profiles, besides their username and title.
True dat

Buffalobiian
Wed, 03-24-2010, 06:29 PM
I'm subscribed to the Bitching Thread, and I clicked the "view first unread post" link in the Control Panel 3 minutes ago.

I got linked to Mr Squiggle's post (http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?p=458177&postcount=3121) instead of Rockmanj's post before his. Since Mr Squiggles quoted Rockmanj's post, I clicked the shortcut next to "Originally posted by Rockmanj" - but that didn't go anywhere.

I also clicked "Vew first unread post" which appeared in the top left in the space between Mr Squiggle's postbox and the red "New Reply" button, which in turn is under the thread-tree. That didn't change my page neither.

When I copy/pasted those links to a new browser window, it linked me to the correct post.

Not sure if this is a one-off bug.

edit: I just found out what you guys mean about "default style" and all. Man that bleeds you eyes. People actually browse with that style?

Yukimura
Fri, 03-26-2010, 05:22 PM
I want to second the can't update signature issue

This is the error message I get:
Fatal error: Using $this when not in object context in /home/forumsg/public_html/vb/includes/class_upload.php on line 40

I was not trying to use the picture upload facility, just changing some text.

Archangel
Sun, 03-28-2010, 08:54 AM
This seems to be happening in every thread

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/9496/91518079.png

Alhuin
Sun, 03-28-2010, 01:23 PM
This seems to be happening in every thread

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/9496/91518079.png

Didn't notice it until he pointed it out, but seconded.

EDIT 3/29/2010: I just posted via quick reply in the New Sig thread and got the error message Bill did about having to wait 30 seconds before posting again. Like his issue, my post still posted though. After looking back through this thread, I noticed that the status on this was unknown since comp didn't know if it was still happening. So I just wanted to note my error.

Munsu
Wed, 03-31-2010, 09:56 AM
Another thing, when I visit a user's public profile, I can no longer see when the user last visited the site.

Death BOO Z
Fri, 04-02-2010, 01:44 AM
when I visit threads with many pages, like the bitching and cosplay topics. it says that there are 178 / 118 pages, but if I click on the last page, it brings me to 177 / 117 again.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 04-02-2010, 07:57 AM
when I visit threads with many pages, like the bitching and cosplay topics. it says that there are 178 / 118 pages, but if I click on the last page, it brings me to 177 / 117 again.

I've been experiencing this for a while too.

Archangel
Mon, 04-05-2010, 06:32 PM
So here's another thing

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/3603/60101776.png (http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/3100/58327831.png)

This has happened a few times now

complich8
Mon, 04-05-2010, 07:15 PM
so .... has anyone else experienced that?

Assassin
Tue, 04-06-2010, 03:53 PM
No...it mite be a firefox thing. Im using chrome and i barely even noticed the change.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-06-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm using firefox and I haven't seen that. Ever.

Kraco
Wed, 04-07-2010, 12:51 AM
Yeah. Maybe Archie has a browser hijacking trojan?