PDA

View Full Version : TV: Justified

Munsu
Tue, 03-16-2010, 10:03 AM
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3329/justifiedfxpremiere.jpg

Justified is a new show starting tonight on FX, and it looks completely badass. It stars Timothy Olyphant (Deadwood, Hitman, Damages, Live Free or Die Hard) and Walton Goggins (The Shield).

U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens is a modern day 19th century-style lawman, enforcing his brand of justice in a way that puts a target on his back with criminals and places him at odds with his bosses in the Marshal service. That conflict results in a reassignment for Givens to the U.S. District covering the town where he grew up. He is an anachronism - a tough, soft spoken gentleman who finds his quarry fascinating, but never gives an inch. Dig under his placid skin and you'll find an angry man who grew up hard in rural Kentucky, with an outlaw father, who knows a lot more about who he doesn't want to be than who he really is. Written by FX Publicity

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/justified/

Trailers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG8cILwk_j0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cnl-xa_nFU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TWkCL3GwOA

Really looking forward to it.

Munsu
Thu, 03-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Anyone watched the premiere yet? I really liked it. Looks like a present day Deadwood at the moment, at least as far as the main character goes.

It had the second highest rating ever in FX for a premiere, right after The Shield.

Animeniax
Thu, 03-18-2010, 05:03 PM
I wanted to watch this since I'm all for old school cops who shoot first and shoot often, but for some reason I passed it up. It's weird that people love shows about tough cops who don't follow the rules, but in real life they're quick to hang these kinds of cops out to dry when some collateral damage occurs.

Munsu
Fri, 03-19-2010, 12:04 AM
I wanted to watch this since I'm all for old school cops who shoot first and shoot often, but for some reason I passed it up. It's weird that people love shows about tough cops who don't follow the rules, but in real life they're quick to hang these kinds of cops out to dry when some collateral damage occurs.
Just the same as we love and root for serial killers in real life.

Animeniax
Fri, 03-19-2010, 02:07 AM
Just the same as we love and root for serial killers in real life.
People may not love or root for them, but people are fascinated by them and love movies/TV that tell their stories. Same with mafia/mobster types.

Munsu
Thu, 03-25-2010, 09:05 PM
So, no one tried this yet.

Just watched the second episode and it was also good. Seems like the show will have a combination of serial and episodic storylines, which is good in my opinion.

Some pretty good dialogue and action overall, and lots of shooting. Still recommending the show.

It's making me miss Deadwood.

Assassin
Thu, 03-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Watched both episodes today...i went in thinking it would be TV for TV's sake (which it is). But i have to admit i enjoyed both episodes. I think what got me was the dialogue and characters....its well written and the main actor is spot on with his role. And, while i dont like that its yet another 'cop show' i did enjoy the fact that the team is badass and not pussy's who always get out maneuvered by the bad guys. In particular im referring to the the car shooting in the first episode.....i loved that once they get flanked, they dont just hide and cry and try to stay alive. They actively neutralize the enemy and remain calm, not losing sight of thier objectives.

I really hope they develop an interesting story line, cuz the case by case approach gets old fast, and shows like this become too cliche.

Munsu
Thu, 03-25-2010, 11:22 PM
It's a necessary evil, the best way to go is to do as I mentioned, have a combination of the two... as far as show survival goes. Not many serialized dramas are surviving at the moment.

TwisT
Fri, 03-26-2010, 04:21 AM
Gonna be swamped this weakened but will try it out sunday night/monday night. Can give you my thoughts on the series then. BTW this reminds me that i need to finish of Deadwood >_<

Penner
Thu, 04-08-2010, 04:33 AM
So what are your impressions of the show so far?

At first a was kinda "meh, its decent" but the latest ep was excellent! (the one with 'Stuart' from Spin City)

TwisT
Thu, 04-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Must agree with you. First it was mediocre but last episode they turned it up a notch. Will continue it, but to be honest, this is probably the extent of what this show has to offer.

Assassin
Wed, 04-28-2010, 09:21 PM
Another kickass episode. I must say, this show is both surprising and surprisingly well made.

Munsu
Wed, 04-28-2010, 10:46 PM
The last 3 or 4 episodes have been very very good. Loved his father a couple of episodes ago.

I waiting for the episode where he fucks his ex-wife... you might remember her from Dirty Sexy Money.

Assassin
Wed, 04-28-2010, 11:54 PM
THATS WHERE SHES FROM!

Man, that had been bugging me all day. Thanx munsu.

Munsu
Thu, 04-29-2010, 08:56 AM
THATS WHERE SHES FROM!

Man, that had been bugging me all day. Thanx munsu.

It was bugging me also because she's hardly recognizable without all the expensive makeup and jewelry. She apparently was also in The Shield but I don't remember her.

Anyways, the acting has been very good in the series, but at times I think it gets a bit uneven when lesser actors are introduced. The fat sheriff who was also in Life really does a poor job here, and I think those scenes with the hitman and the "apprentice" were quite cringe worthy in how poorly they were acted.

But other than those complaints, I've been enjoying the series a lot. Good to see the guy from LOST also.

Penner
Tue, 05-04-2010, 06:19 AM
FX renews Justified (http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/05/fx-renews-justified.html)

Munsu
Fri, 06-04-2010, 09:44 PM
So, who's up to date? Last episode was great... it just had a lot of great things, and it was packed with plot driven scenes...

We got the ex-wife vs. lover situation. The scenes with Arlo were really good, we got the whole Crowder drug operation with him meeting his provider, Ava vs. Crowder.... and then we have Boyd who is completely nuts. Still don't know what exactly he's up to, but this was a really good episode for him.

Season finale on Tuesday.

Penner
Fri, 06-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Ayay, i watched 3 eps in a row yesterday and i'm now up to speed.

Looking forward to the finale!

Munsu
Wed, 06-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Just watched the season finale, and it was completely awesome... I don't know why there aren't more people here watching this show.

Assassin
Wed, 06-09-2010, 05:44 PM
ya i totally rocked.....i love the boyd/raylan dynamic. both are fantastic characters. And i liked the shoot out as well....especially the guy who goes out back and gets his head blown off.

TwisT
Wed, 06-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Agree. This whole season has been great. At first i though we might get a case by case type of show where you get a little story progression between the cases. Glad i was wrong. Love Boyd and Raylan about equal. Specially Boyd because you could never really figure him out. Was he just playing for some great scheme or had he converted for real. And not until last nights episode did we really get the answer. Bo really tried to clean house but it backfired. Only thing that really pissed me of about the finale was where the hell was all the Winona action? A brief glimpse and then she became a huge cliffhanger. Natalie Zea is definitely one of the most beautiful actresses who does television. Want more.

I read it will get a second season with 13 episodes which is great news.

Munsu
Wed, 06-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Allison Mack, Sarah Carter, Natalie Zea... I think there's a pattern here. You sure like your blondes.

Well, the episode was mega-packed with content, so no complains for me. But sure, would've liked to see more of her.

I wonder what's happening with Arlo now, since they left him in the motel alone. Did he run for it?

TwisT
Thu, 06-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Well the marshals didn't have anything on him if i remember correctly and with Bo and his gang out of the picture he should be in the clear.

Penner
Sat, 06-12-2010, 02:42 AM
Just watched it and it was totally awesome, great finale!

The Heretic Azazel
Sat, 06-12-2010, 07:23 PM
I'm always a big fan of FX originals and this is no different. Olyphant goes down smooth as silk but Walton Goggins never lets him steal the show. I think my favorite scene of the whole season was Boyd preaching to the church, his character is just off the wall nuts. I suspect most of you can't truly connect to Boyd, but living in Arkansas I see these types of people on a regular basis, or at least a little more regular than I'd like.

Munsu
Sat, 06-12-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm always a big fan of FX originals and this is no different. Olyphant goes down smooth as silk but Walton Goggins never lets him steal the show. I think my favorite scene of the whole season was Boyd preaching to the church, his character is just off the wall nuts. I suspect most of you can't truly connect to Boyd, but living in Arkansas I see these types of people on a regular basis, or at least a little more regular than I'd like.

Really liked that scene, and I also liked the scene when Ray prayed to Boyd's followers the first time he visited his camp.

Munsu
Sat, 02-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Justified's second season premiered last Tuesday, awesome as always.

Assassin
Sat, 02-12-2011, 03:55 PM
ya i caught it yesterday. I like that they started off rite where they left.

Penner
Thu, 05-05-2011, 12:55 PM
So, the second season's finale was yesterday and ya'll should really go ahead and watch season 2 cause it is really good.

TwisT
Tue, 05-10-2011, 11:24 PM
I don't disagree. I really liked this season. Specially following Boyd's development. Him finding his way here in life after all that happened. I also liked when he finally started his criminal empire that he took on the Bennett's and he showed that he could handle himself. The advantage of being the underdog i guess.

To bad about Helen. I liked her. But it was a ballsy move to kill her off. Gave Raylan some development. And Dickie must have a guardian angel on his shoulder, surviving against all that he did. Only big question mark now is, what will with Winona and Raylan. Personally i don't think she will be there. After all that would end up with Raylan quitting his job (or getting that transfer). And i don't really see this show continuing on like that. Not now when Boyd is starting to take over the criminal empire of Harlan county.

Penner
Wed, 01-18-2012, 10:31 AM
First ep of season 3 is out!

Munsu
Wed, 01-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Damnit, still need to watch the second season.

Munsu
Sun, 02-19-2012, 07:21 PM
Caught up to the latest. This series is just awesome, season 2 was great. This season has been good too, though admittedly a bit disappointed with Boyd's part in all of this. I'm siding a bit with Devil, I'm not seeing the great scheming he's shown previously. Guess we'll have to wait.

Assassin
Sun, 02-19-2012, 08:18 PM
ya its definately one of the better shows on tv these days. Really goes to show how much good writing can affect the show. Im liking the mob angle. I have a feeling this season will end with raylan and boyd again back to back against the mob guy.

Penner
Wed, 03-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Hear ye Hear ye, i come bringing great news: Justified renewed for a fourth season! (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2012/03/fx-renews-justified-for-fourth-season-.html)

This is quite easily one of the best shows on tv right now, if you're not already watching it, you should really give it a go.

Munsu
Wed, 03-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Anyone watched last night's episode, might just be my favorite so far this season. Tons of fun, and looks like things are really starting to pick up now.

Assassin
Wed, 03-07-2012, 06:01 PM
i just finished watching it. Im quite surprised to say that of all the shows im watching, this is probably the one im most anxious to see each week. The dialogue between the characters is always so much fun, and even the smaller characters always seem to have very interesting roles. And ofcourse all the gun play and explosives. I really hope we see raylan go ape shit and just start putting bodies in the ground soon.

Munsu
Wed, 03-07-2012, 11:51 PM
Same, my only disappointment is that the guys at the office have been completely underused. I really like the sniper dude, and would like to see him out in the field more often.

Assassin
Thu, 03-08-2012, 02:54 AM
ya hes almost as badass as raylan, which is saying something considering how little we see of him.

gos27
Wed, 03-21-2012, 01:57 PM
Finished watching the first season of this and I thought it was pretty good, although I heard season 2 is rubbish. Will get around to watching it soon enough to see for myself.

Penner
Wed, 03-21-2012, 03:18 PM
I heard season 2 is rubbish.

Eeeeh, Wat? Dude, Season 2 is even better than Season 1.

gos27
Sun, 03-25-2012, 08:56 PM
Eeeeh, Wat? Dude, Season 2 is even better than Season 1.

You're right, I'm 9 episodes through Season 2 and it's way better than the first season imo. Good call!

Penner
Fri, 01-11-2013, 12:34 PM
First ep in season 4 is out, go get some!

Damn, they did not waste time before shit started going down lol, god i love this show!

Munsu
Sat, 01-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Nice start, but the episode was a bit of a mess... looking forward to the rest of the season.

Penner
Thu, 03-28-2013, 08:51 AM
'Justified' Renewed for season 5 (http://tvline.com/2013/03/28/justified-renewed-season-5/)

Great news for me since i still love the show :o

Munsu
Tue, 01-07-2014, 11:39 PM
He's baaaaaaaaaaaack, first episode of season 5 airing tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2gDDvqjrXY

Penner
Wed, 01-08-2014, 02:33 PM
Just finished the new ep.

God damn this show is so fucking good.

Munsu
Wed, 01-08-2014, 07:33 PM
Just finished the new ep.

God damn this show is so fucking good.

First episode didn't excite me all that much for some reason.

Munsu
Wed, 01-15-2014, 04:33 PM
Second episode was 10 times better, now we're talking... looking forward to the rest of the season.

Penner
Thu, 01-16-2014, 07:53 AM
Yeah, even tho i liked the first ep the second was indeed better.

Also, there's this: FX confirms, 'Justified' will end next season.
(http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/01/14/fx-justified-will-end/)
I guess it's good that they can go out when the show is still good and plan out a solid ending instead of falling into the trap alot of shows do where towards the later seasons they start rapidly going downhill. (Dexter comes to mind >_>)

Munsu
Thu, 01-16-2014, 09:06 AM
Yeah, I like planned endings over the alternative... I hope he finds another gunslinging role after this, it's where he's at his best. Maybe a return of Deadwood (I can dream).

Munsu
Sat, 02-08-2014, 12:39 AM
This week's episode was epic, best episode this season yet... lots of things to look forward to.

Munsu
Sat, 05-16-2015, 08:48 PM
Well, just managed to watch the last two episodes of the series.

It didn't end in that much of a strong way, but it was satisfying and whenever you can get a complete and finished story out of a series, it'll always be a win for me.

Hope we can get Olyphant in some other gunslinger type of series.

I'll just say this, episode 11 had one of the best confrontations and fight sequences I've ever seen. It made the whole season for me.

I'm seriously going to miss this show.

Edort4
Mon, 05-18-2015, 06:43 PM
Actually it surprised me (wich usually is a good thing) the way the show ended.

SPOILER ALERT

As things were going I imagined it would up with a threeway shooting out with dozens of bullets and massive casualties in the leading roles (I thoght Olyphant was going to die).

Pretty "calm" and round ending cutting all the edges and totally concluding what has been one of the greatest shows if seen in the last 10 years.

If you havent watched it I recommend it.