PDA

View Full Version : What do you do for a living?

Archangel
Mon, 03-15-2010, 06:33 PM
"A profession is a vocation founded upon specialized educational training, the purpose of which is to supply disinterested counsel and service to others, for a direct and definite compensation, wholly apart from expectation of other business gain"
So how do you service others?

I'm a college student and am currently getting my degree in civil engineering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_engineering)

Buffalobiian
Mon, 03-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Full time pharmacy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharmacy) degree student. Part time pizza boy.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 03-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Full time business analyst and software quality tester. I do teach Japanese part time, but for free.

Assertn
Mon, 03-15-2010, 07:34 PM
Co-owner of a startup tech company. Lead front-end developer in flash/flex technologies.

Ryllharu
Mon, 03-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Quality assurance at a subsidiary of a defense contractor. Less actual engineering (B.S. ME), but a considerably more diverse scope of work.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 03-15-2010, 08:13 PM
I plan to open up my own restaurant though, when I save up enough capital and find capable co-owners.

darkshadow
Mon, 03-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Full time Gamedesign (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_design) & Development (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_development) student, 3rd year now. Should be done after 1.5 years more.
After this I should qualify as a Game Designer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_designer) and Game Artist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_artist) (art technical engineer).

I have an affinity for coding, but I really didn't feel anything for becoming a programmer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_programmer).

Steve, posts some links to your stuff? I mean I've seen it, but I doubt the rest here know what product you actually offer ;P.

And shinta free japanese lessons? Do you do e-lessons <_<... ?

XanBcoo
Mon, 03-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Currently unemployed, working part time as a musician. I wasn't gonna count that, but I'm in 3 separate bands and they take up a load of my time, so I might as well.

And then in a few weeks I'll have completed my Texas teacher certification, so hopefully I can start teaching here in August.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 03-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Currently unemployed, working part time as a musician. I wasn't gonna count that, but I'm in 3 separate bands and they take up a load of my time, so I might as well.

And then in a few weeks I'll have completed my Texas teacher certification, so hopefully I can start teaching here in August.

Thinking of teaching English? High School?

Animeniax
Mon, 03-15-2010, 09:24 PM
What subject would you be teaching, Xan? Have you considered the JET program teaching English to Japanese kids in Japan? It pays $40k and seems to be a convergence of all that you seem to like and know. Plus, being a bass guitar playing white guy in Japan guarantees you will score with the local ladies, as much as it reviles me that white guys are taking all the yellow girls.

I am currently a college student, 2 years to go, with aspirations to be a police officer.

Xelbair
Tue, 03-16-2010, 07:18 AM
High school student right now(last year), after this semester I'll start studying either quantum physics, constructions or technical physics. I haven't decided yet..
And i would love to work as combat/action/strategy system designer in tpp/rpg/rts games

itadakimasu
Tue, 03-16-2010, 08:10 AM
I'm a Network Administrator.

RyougaZell
Tue, 03-16-2010, 10:05 AM
Currently working on a Telephone Company as Analyst... though I guess my responsabilities change according to what are we going through. Some days im a Software Tester, other days I analyze weird cases, others I do reports based on our current situation regarding quality assurance on the client side.

I'm probably returning to IT in a few months though, as Analyst as well, but I guess I'll be more focused on Use Cases and Test Cases this time around.

Whatever comes.

Death BOO Z
Tue, 03-16-2010, 10:23 AM
first year psychology and political sciences student.
still no Idea where those two are gonna take me.

probably gonna part time at retail during the summer.

David75
Tue, 03-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Your Jack of all Trades engineer.
Worked in the industry for some years and got fed up with the atmosphere and social interactions.
Health was very bad too.
So I entered my parents company, Electricity.
My job has been taking care of more technical projects and offloading my Dad's work as he is near retirement.
Long hours, you can never remain clean whenever you enter a work site and actually work there, pay is low, but I feel useful at least.

Psyke
Tue, 03-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Intel Captain in the Armed Forces.

XanBcoo
Tue, 03-16-2010, 01:17 PM
What subject would you be teaching, Xan? Have you considered the JET program teaching English to Japanese kids in Japan? It pays $40k and seems to be a convergence of all that you seem to like and know. Plus, being a bass guitar playing white guy in Japan guarantees you will score with the local ladies, as much as it reviles me that white guys are taking all the yellow girls.
If I taught abroad it would be in Spain or Argentina. However, for the moment I am content living in Texas.

I'm interested in teaching either adult ESL here or teaching Junior High as a generalist, meaning I'd have a 6th grade class who I would teach all but 1 or 2 subjects.

Rekeco
Tue, 03-16-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm a High school Math teacher in California. It's my third year teaching overall, 2 years at a High school.

I also run a kickboxing/jiu-jitsu school with my father.

Yukimura
Tue, 03-16-2010, 04:11 PM
I'm a software engineer. I work for a data storage company I do occasional feature development (programming) for storage controllers but these days I mostly run qualification and integration tests on various hard drives.

David75
Tue, 03-16-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm a software engineer. I work for a data storage company I do occasional feature development (programming) for storage controllers but these days I mostly run qualification and integration tests on various hard drives.

Do you have some SSD's under the scope of your work?
I'm curious about those drives, problem being high price and some kind of unreliability
Thanks

Carnage
Tue, 03-16-2010, 05:04 PM

Holy shit seriously?

Animeniax
Tue, 03-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Holy shit seriously?
He'd tell you more, but then he'd have to kill you.

Pandadice
Tue, 03-16-2010, 05:53 PM
NEET v_v

KitKat
Tue, 03-16-2010, 06:16 PM
This is a bit of a difficult question to answer, because I have a lot of stuff that I do, but I don't know of any of it is what I'll end up doing long-term.

At the moment my cash inflow comes from working on my Masters in Mechanical Engineering. My previous degree was linguistics, and my degree before that was engineering physics. I suppose I don't so much do things for a living as do things because I love to do them. At the moment I have no long-term plans beyond finishing up this Masters, but I'm fully confident that God will provide everything I need to get to the next part of this adventure and to walk out my destiny. Which is gonna be totally awesome.

Psyke
Wed, 03-17-2010, 03:05 AM
He'd tell you more, but then he'd have to kill you.

Yes, too much information from the open source already so I'd better shut up :)

Dark Dragon
Wed, 03-17-2010, 06:47 AM
3rd Year Accounting Major.

Hoping to get my CPA license after i complete the required hours.

6Zabuza9
Fri, 03-19-2010, 08:04 PM
studying business administration in college. part time job as a ramp agent at the airport

Animeniax
Fri, 03-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Yes, too much information from the open source already so I'd better shut up :)
It sucks when you have a really cool job but you can't tell anyone about it :o .

This is in stark contrast to guys at the bar who tell girls they are Navy SEALs just to impress them, and you know they're full of shit.

Psyke
Sat, 03-20-2010, 09:57 AM
So true. But most of the time I deal with cap dev and doctrine stuff so it's not that classified... it's not really the most exciting job around. But the good thing is I get lots of time to run, work out. :p

complich8
Mon, 03-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Senior Linux sysadmin for a federally funded research and development center.

Shadow Skill
Tue, 03-23-2010, 07:44 PM
I work for the provincial government. Building roads, maintaining the areas which I work in. Running many types of equipement, I suppose I could be an Engineer, but I am just lowly grunt so to speak. I make a modest $70K/year. I'm content at my job. Have to love government jobs. :)

samsonlonghair
Wed, 03-24-2010, 11:30 AM
I've had a lot of very different jobs in the past. This year I went back to school. I'm a double major studying graphic design and studio art full time. I also have two part time jobs. I'm a referee, and I do work study at my university's tech support office.

rockmanj
Thu, 03-25-2010, 09:32 AM
I I am a Public Ally/ Recycling project coordinator. I work on environmental issues across the city, along with community outreach and organizing, and I am also working with a tam of individuals to ameliorate social issues between youth, business owners, and residents in a certain community in the city I live in. Along with that, I am on an advisory board for a green technologies corporation, and I work at an organic urban garden.

Paulyboy
Thu, 03-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Wow your jobs seem way better than mine with more cash, im a construction worker and my dads my boss lol, so I have to do the field work for a couple of more years and I can finally read plans and blueprints... FINALLY!

Raven
Fri, 03-26-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm in IT systems analysis and quality control... I like how being picky and pedantic is part of the job. Suits me pretty well. ;)

The Heretic Azazel
Sat, 03-27-2010, 01:03 AM
I am in school finishing up my Bachelors to become a system analyst, since it has become quite clear I am an inadequate programmer. Hoping I can find a job that's not in bumfuck India.

Inazuma
Sat, 03-27-2010, 03:54 AM
http://www.wikitf2.com/images/thumb/f/fb/Spy2.jpg/200px-Spy2.jpg
So blue or red ?

Me, game design, 2nd year.

Psyke
Sat, 03-27-2010, 05:00 AM
Int red, Ops blue :p