PDA

View Full Version : Valerian & Laureline

David75
Mon, 02-15-2010, 04:04 PM
From Wikipédia:

Time Jam: Valerian & Laureline​ (ヴァレリアン&ロールリンヌ Varerian ando Rōrurinnu?) is a French/Japanese animated television series based on the French comic book series Valérian and Laureline written by Pierre Christin and drawn by Jean-Claude Mézières. The animation first aired in both France and Japan in 2007.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Jam:_Valerian_%26_Laureline

Plot from the comic book description (Wikipedia):

The series centres around the adventures of the spatio-temporal agent, the dark-haired Valérian, and his redheaded female companion, Laureline, as they travel the universe through space and time. Valérian is a classical anti-hero, strong and brave but with a tendency to follow the orders of his superiors even if he feels, deep down, that it is the wrong thing to do. On the other hand, his companion Laureline manages to combine sex-appeal with intelligence and independence making her one of science fiction's most notable heroines. Influenced by classic literary science fiction, the series combines elements of space opera and time travel. Christin's scripts are noted for their humour and strongly left-wing liberal political slant while Mézières' art is noted for its vivid depictions of the alien worlds and species Valérian and Laureline encounter on their adventures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Val%C3%A9rian_and_Laureline

While aimlessly zapping through french TV, this show caught my eye.
At first I didn't pay much attention to it as it seemed targeted to a younger audience.
But for some reason, I'm more and more attracted. Probably thanks to Laureline's well rounded body :o
There are some other reasons I think, like a nice universe and multi-extraterestrial setting.
Also, Valerian and Laureline are incredibly french sounding names, which was strange for your average anime. Another yet another reason.
Europacorp is part of the project, that caught my eye and I later learned it was a joint work beetween French and Japanese team.

I did know nothing about the comic book or anything related to the show. I just watched like 5 eps and I don't even know which ones they are in the 40 ones (I hate TV broadcasts for that reason).

Each ep has it's own plot, there's no real violence, sex or anything that might hurt a kid's fragile heart. So it might be a tad boring to most of you. But you can easily get caught by it.

I do not know about the ways to get your hands on it, but if you do, do not hesitate do post links to either the TV show or the comic book pages.

Have fun watching this ;)