PDA

View Full Version : Movie: Year One

Animeniax
Fri, 01-15-2010, 02:48 PM
This movie didn't get great reviews and didn't do well in theatres, but I thought it was great. It could have been better, but anything with Michael Cera starring and Harold Ramis directing deserves a chance.

One problem is the usual Jack Black overacting and silliness. If he toned it down a little the effect of his comedy would be that much more powerful. He should look at the understated passive aggressive method of Michael Cera's acting for some tips. The guy is a genius (Cera, not Black).

Otherwise it was an irreverent look at humanity's past both evolutionary and biblical. Reminded me of "History of the World part 1", though that might just be because of the Roman army costumes.

Sapphire
Fri, 01-15-2010, 03:58 PM
I just saw Jack Black on Community. Hilarious person on a hilarious show. I haven't seen this movie yet. I'll be downloading this.

Animeniax
Fri, 01-15-2010, 04:41 PM
I don't dislike Jack Black but he tries too hard and makes a scene or concept that's potentially hilarious into something absurd to the point it's not funny, just ridiculous. He was guilty of that in Year One, but it didn't ruin the movie, just a couple scenes. Sometimes his "zaniness" works though, so it's not all bad.

XanBcoo
Fri, 01-15-2010, 06:32 PM
This looked like Jack Black as Jack Black and Michael Cera as George Michael Bluth, with rocks.

Animeniax
Fri, 01-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Are you talking about the commercials or the movie? ie did you actually see the movie?

You have a point. The movie could be seen as Jack Black and George Michael Bluth going to an alternate dimension. Kind of like Ash in Army of Darkness if Ash was a well known character archetype.

George Michael Bluth rules.

darkshadow
Sat, 01-16-2010, 08:06 AM
I thought this movie was pretty damn funny too, and Jack Black is just who he is and I actually like his crazy way of comedy.
The bloopers were pretty hilarious too.

XanBcoo
Sat, 01-16-2010, 07:29 PM
Are you talking about the commercials or the movie? ie did you actually see the movie?

You have a point. The movie could be seen as Jack Black and George Michael Bluth going to an alternate dimension. Kind of like Ash in Army of Darkness if Ash was a well known character archetype.

George Michael Bluth rules.
Oh I was just talking about the commercials.

I love Jack Black, and Arrested Development was one of my favorite shows. But this movie looked like it was just cashing in on specific personalities rather than being a good movie in its own right. I'm not saying it looks that bad, just that it's something I think everyone has seen before.

Sapphire
Sat, 01-16-2010, 08:04 PM
I loved this. It was hilarious. I don't think there was anything I disliked about this movie. Excellent.

Animeniax
Sat, 01-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Oh I was just talking about the commercials.

I love Jack Black, and Arrested Development was one of my favorite shows. But this movie looked like it was just cashing in on specific personalities rather than being a good movie in its own right. I'm not saying it looks that bad, just that it's something I think everyone has seen before.

It's worth watching. It's actually pretty original if you think about the period in history. An idiot and a wimp try to find meaning in their lives during caveman days when men are manly and women only want the strongest to procreate with. If it could be compared to any movie, it'd be "Super Bad" in prehistoric times.

I loved this. It was hilarious. I don't think there was anything I disliked about this movie. Excellent.As I knew you would, my pretty.

I think it helped for me to go into this movie expecting it to be as bad as the critics said. I would have enjoyed it even if I had gone into it thinking it was a great movie, which it is.

Testarossa Autodrive
Sat, 01-16-2010, 09:02 PM
I didn't think it was the greatest movie, but it was pretty entertaining for the most part. Probably more of a rental, if anything.

Animeniax
Sun, 01-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Well it's either buy the dvd, rent it, or download it (you bastard). So does only being rent-worthy make it not worth watching? I disagree.

Testarossa Autodrive
Sun, 01-17-2010, 03:04 PM
I didn't mean that renting it meant it's not worth watching. I'm saying if you like that kind of comedy and that humor, which I do, then you should watch it. What I was saying is that it is not worth 7-10 dollars to watch in a movie theater. You don't need that kind of loud, big screen experience for this flick, but it is funny.